[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-23: Emergency maintenance completed.
2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 36 KB, 1024x345, 20190930-144310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6532992 No.6532992 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

6th gen technically becomes retro within the next ~6 months

>> No.6533015
File: 473 KB, 1143x720, 1591997177640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533015

THEY WILL NEVER BE RETRO ZOOMER

>> No.6533024

Wow, that's cool, can't wait

>> No.6533040
File: 77 KB, 300x300, limmy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533040

>>6533015
>Rage faces

>> No.6533057

There's enough discussion to have about 6th gen that they'd need their own board so as not to ruin this one.
I suggest a trial board sometime later this year. But what would you even call it since it's not strictly speaking "retro"?

>> No.6533061
File: 14 KB, 553x546, not retro.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533061

>> No.6533064

>>6533057
why do you think including 6th gen into retro will ruin this board?

>> No.6533074 [DELETED] 
File: 133 KB, 504x493, 05AA465B-E0F8-44B2-A5EA-D267E5A6817E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533074

You know I had to sage and report it to em.

>> No.6533080

>>6533064
Anything older than PS1 would get absolutely buried by the sheer amount of discussion and new people 6th gen would add.
Say goodbye to the Amiga and Atari threads. No more Mega Drive posts. Farewell NESfags.

>> No.6533087

>>6533057
Personally I think separate boards for retro games (up to and including 6th gen - not to be amended) and general retro tech (computing and related technologies - 20th century only) would fill out nicely.

>> No.6533093

>>6533080
>Anything older than PS1 would get absolutely buried by the sheer amount of discussion and new people 6th gen would add.
Oh no more 30 thirty year old console war threads what ever will we do. Maybe this force everyone to actually put some effort into their threads now. We don't need more entry level SNES rec threads
>Atari threads
Nigger we barely have those to begin with.

>> No.6533101
File: 148 KB, 1064x1500, 81CohHN3iwL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533101

I'd be alright with 6th gen games if they were limited to 2001-2002. Allowing a decade's worth of video games at once would upend the board.

>> No.6533102

>>6533080
You're always free to create threads on topics that interest you. Imageboards operate on free market principles.

>> No.6533104

>>6533015
This but unironically

>> No.6533107

>>6533015
I'm fairly certain Timesplitters Future Perfect came out later than 2000, probably 2005 or something.

>> No.6533108

>>6533101
>Allowing a decade's worth of video games at once would upend the board.
No one's asking for 7th gen. Cut off for 6th gen would be 2004, the year the DS released, which was technically a 7th gen handheld.

>> No.6533113

>>6533107
>2005
correct

>> No.6533115

>>6533093
>Maybe this force everyone to actually put some effort into their threads now
It won't. What'll happen is that instead of the current selection of threads you'll have 8 threads dedicated to Halo at all times and about half a dozen "Post some PS2 hidden gems" with an image of a title that sold at least a million copies.
The sheer amount of this shit will destroy any and all threads that benefit from the slower board speed and lower population.
Currently it takes roughly a day to get bumped off, but if 6th gen is allowed that time shortens to only a few hours at best.

>> No.6533124

>>6533057
/v2k/ for 6th & 7th gen (for now, with flexibility forward over time).

We've had these discussions since the early days of /vr/, and that's the best solution the majority of the community approved.

>> No.6533128

>>6533108
6th gen games got released well into the 7th gen.
Last PS2 game was released AFTER the PS4 came out. That's a fuckton of games.
Cutting PS2 titles off at any specific year would make moderation impossible.
For PC you'd have to cut it at roughly pre-Games For Windows Live.

>> No.6533134

>>6533101
>I'd be alright with 6th gen games
Good for you, but we don't care.

>> No.6533135

>>6533080
>>6533080
You are pulling out in imaginary limit on discussion that has not happened yet. People that want to talk about amiga, Atari, nes, ect, will do so regardless. So what exactly are you afraid of? This is a retro game board, not an exclusive Atari, amiga, megadrive, and nes board. In my opinion 6th gen deserves to be considered “retro”. It’s been almost 20 years.

>> No.6533138

>>6533074
I dont want 6th gen here as much as the next guy but fuck off back to twitter with your stale ass memes nigger

>> No.6533140

It will be fun to falseflag with PES 2014 which came out for PS2 in 2014 obviously, and then spam this board with 2014 PS4 games, because then they'll be just as retro, kek.
Jk zoomers, your childhood won't be allowed here ever and it pleases me greatly.

>> No.6533145

Ps2 gamecube and xbox games dont even feel fucking retro they feel like modern games with shittier graphics zoomers fuck off.

>> No.6533146

>>6533107
The first one was a 2000 launch game though

>> No.6533147

>>6533124
“Majority of community approved”, I’ve been on this board for years and I don’t approve. And a lot of people would disagree with you.

>> No.6533151

>>6533145
So does the Dreamcast, seriously it fucking does. Don’t deny it. Why the Dreamcast is allowed here just because it came out 1 year earlier then the rest blows my fucking mind.

>> No.6533152

>>6533101

Most people aren't going to bother looking up release dates. It is easier to enforce rules based on what consoles are acceptable to discuss.

>> No.6533157

Basically all you olds are just saying "my childhood was better than yours" and ignoring logic. You can't make up rules about what retro gaming means and then ignore them when you feel like it. Be consistent.

>> No.6533158

>>6533115
>It won't.
Yeah, it will. Here's some dogshit threads now.
>>6520267
>>6532160
>>6532245
>>6529705
>>6531504
>>6526559
>>6530962
Shit like this wouldn't last. No one needs a fucking chris chan lolcow thread, this isn't kiwi farms.
>you'll have 8 threads dedicated to Halo at all times
>what is called reporting duplicate threads
Why do anti-6th gen fags suddenly forget how to use imageboards?
>Post some PS2 hidden gems" with an image of a title that sold at least a million copies.
Funny, I don't remember Steambot Chronicles or La Pucelle Tactics selling millions of copies.
>The sheer amount of this shit will destroy any and all threads that benefit from the slower board speed and lower population
Your board is getting destroyed by shit now and it's mostly anons shitposting at each other. This place is literally /v/ for retro games.
>>6533128
>6th gen games got released well into the 7th gen.
So did PS1 games. Dreamcast games got released well after it died. Again, why do 6th gen fags literally turn retarded and rely on fallacious arguments all the fucking time?
>For PC
Funny you bring that up. /vr/ can't even decide on the cutoff for those
>Deus Ex and Daikatana threads are ok because they run on win 98
>Halo and COD 1 are not because reasons despite also running on win 98

>> No.6533161

>>6533107
Yeh whoever made that image is probably a zoomer and thought that was the cover for Timesplitters, a PS2 release title.

>> No.6533162

>>6533151
Technically the Dreamcast came out 2 years before the PS2 in Japan, and it actually had some games that coexisted with original PlayStation games like Frogger 2 and Rayman 2.
But I do agree that overall, the console doesn't seem to be that retro with games like Sonic Adventure 2 receiving almost identical ports on other sixth generation consoles

>> No.6533168
File: 157 KB, 1295x309, 1591598380437.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533168

Also, time to filter newfags who claim /vr/ rules "never changed".

Also reminder to everyone that 6th gen apparently is so triggering that these same faggots go and shit up the /qa/ thread on this same topic.

>> No.6533172

>>6533147
Then you are not in the majority, and your confirmation bias may be weighing more heavily those who share your opinion, giving you the impression that the group who disapproves is larger than it is. Mods can see posting IDs in threads. You could ask them about threads where /v2k/ was conceived and discussed, and they would give you an accurate assessment of the idea's popularity.

>> No.6533173

>>6533162
>Rayman 2
Came out on PS2, along with many other Dreamcast games.

>> No.6533175

>>6533168
I forgot about this board because of this.
Why the is 5- and 6-gen in 2013 are not retro yet?

>> No.6533176
File: 432 KB, 2550x1650, not-retro.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533176

>> No.6533178

>>6533172
>your confirmation bias may be weighing more heavily those who share your opinion, giving you the impression that the group who disapproves is larger than it is
>implying you're no different

>Mods can see posting IDs in threads. You could ask them about threads where /v2k/ was conceived and discussed, and they would give you an accurate assessment of the idea's popularity.
Post proof then. I've never seen mods post in these threads.

>> No.6533180

>>6533151
Dreamcast doesnt have open world shit like gta you retarded nigger. It has the graphical fidelity but the games dont play like gta or morrowind. The dreamcast feels more like a late 90s arcade than the other systems.

>> No.6533182

>>6533178
This is a known thing. You can go contact the mods yourself if you know how, not IN a thread here.

>> No.6533187

>>6533175
Because this board is ran by and inhabited by retards who can't do basic research. Remember this board was created on the same day we got /lgbt/. It came out of nowhere and I don't even remember people asking for it.

>> No.6533189

>>6533182
Alright what have they said to you, since you seem to know about what they think.

>> No.6533190

>>6533168
If only we could go back to a time when the board wasn't filled with 5th-gen console wars threads

>> No.6533191

>>6533187
I always thought this board was for old video-games as alternative to stupid fast speed of /v/.
But turns out its some circlejerking for old PCs, when in reality the maximum they can discuss is Doom general and oppose of 6-gen.

>> No.6533197

>>6533135
Well think back to before /vr/ was created. People were asking for a "retro" board precisely because you couldn't talk about anything that was older than 6th gen on /v/ because it got zero replies and then slid off the board in no time. Back then, 6th and 7th were the newest, and 8th was just starting with 3DS, Wii U, Vita, and the rest were on the horizon. That you couldn't talk about anything but 6th and 7th on a board dedicated to all games was what predicated the desire to make a board where 5th and earlier were the only discussion point, to save them from being impossible to discuss. Now yes, 6th was possibly talked about more on /v/ in 2013 than it is now, but the matter remains that 6th gen has a lot of popular games in it, and the fear remains of them again blocking out the sun that shines on the older games we can still talk about, by merit of 1) increasing board speed, and 2) increasing thread creation rates.

If people can demonstrate that there is a real need for 6th gen discussion to have a home outside of /v/ then fine, but we /vr/troopers need to see some demand before we'll just open up to discussion of another decade of games.

>> No.6533206

>>6533197
>but we /vr/troopers need to see some demand before we'll just open up to discussion of another decade of games.
We have these threads every couple of weeks. That's your proof.

>> No.6533207

>>6533189
The /v2k/ idea has majority approval from community discussions and a higher approval rate than any other idea by a fair margin.

>> No.6533208

>>6533173
Yeah but it came out on N64 then Dreamcast then PlayStation then PS2. The point is that there was a time where there was Rayman 2 on Dreamcast and PlayStation but not on PS2

>> No.6533209

>>6533080
This, I NEED to know what has more Soul: Mario 3 or Mario World!!!!!!!

>> No.6533214

>>6533207
You said that already. What else have they said, provide details.

Also the more these threads have popped up the more resistance has to splitting up the vidya boards. And Hiro has stated he doesn't want to make more vidya boards.

>> No.6533215

>>6533057
This board is already ruined, probably by the same fags who are rallying for gaylo and memelee to be allowed. I think there's a huge chance /v2k/ would unironically improve /vr/ as a side effect.

>> No.6533216

>>6533208
The time between the PS1 and PS2 releases was a massive 4 months. Sounds like some serious goalpost moving to me.

>> No.6533217

>>6533206
Could just as well argue that because these threads fill up with posts opposing it that it proves the opposite.

>> No.6533220

>>6533217
Yes, retards memeing the same refuted arguments sure proves that.

>> No.6533225

>>6533216
Honestly I'm just playing Devil's advocate here. I don't think the Dreamcast should be allowed but not PS2, GameCube and Xbox. It should be all or none.
At least the N64 and original PlayStation were released in the mid 90s and the PlayStation even had a lot of 2D games in its early life

>> No.6533226

>>6533214
You can ask them for details yourself. It's not like I saved logs anticipating needing to produce them for an argument like this.

I'm also well aware that Hiro doesn't currently intend to make such a board, but that could change.

>> No.6533228

>>6533215
It would also improve /v/. It would help both boards.

>> No.6533229

>>6533225
Dreamcast only got allowed because the original cutoff date was 1999, but Dreamcast wasn't allowed. Even got mad, complained, and after a year, Dreamcast finally was allowed.

So basically what's happening with 6th gen now.

>> No.6533234

>>6533226
>You can ask them for details yourself
What do remember faggot. You brought this up and so far all you can say is "they approve /v2k/"
>but that could change.
Just like how /vr/ will allow 6th gen. Funny how hypotheticals are ok for you.

>> No.6533235

>>6533220
Dismissing arguments by claiming someone else did it elsewhere and throwing in some baseless negative adjectives does not a successful point make. You argued essentially by frequency of threads. Where is the accountability? How do we know it isn't just one dedicated shitposter? You can counter my argument by the same merit, but ultimately all we do is cancel each other out. You need to bring something better than pointing at vague assertions and presenting incidental evidence of its popularity.

>> No.6533238

>>6533234
>What do remember
>>6533207

>> No.6533241

your childhood will never be retro

>> No.6533247

>>6533241
BASED and REDPILLED

>> No.6533251

>>6533229
They got mad because of the standard. The rule was that hardware from 99 or earlier, and all software made for it, was allowed. Dreamcast was banned for no reason other than generation labels. It was a 98/99 release, yet it didn't count, and people called it out for its totally arbitrary exclusion.

Of course, the mods in their infinite wisdom made the retarded wording for the sticky, and instead of just saying "we fucked up, dreamcast is in fact a 90's hardware" they said "hey this is now allowed because of 8th gen being around" which was pointed out, both then and now, as a stupid fucking mistake because it gives the 6th gen/moving window definition for "retro" exactly the kind of foothold they need to make shit threads, one of which we're posting in now.

>> No.6533252

>>6533235
>You need to bring something better than pointing at vague assertions and presenting incidental evidence of its popularity.
Alright, 6th gen is about to be old enough to drink. No, it will not as much shitposting considering most who grew up with 6th gen are in or pushing the 30, constant memeing of certain games isn't an argument considering all gens have popular games people talk about, and the "feel" of retro games isn't argument considering in the 90s old Atari boomers didn't think 16 and 32 bit consoles felt "retro" at the time. By contrast, 6th gen would finally allow for discussion of games that would never get the time of day on /v/ as the PS2 alone had tons of niche games. GBA was also at the time the last bastion of dedicated 2D game design. If anything 6th gen was the apex of all the momentum the industry had been riding on since the 80s.
>>6533238
>muh community discussions the mods say they approve of
You said that already. So you have no proof other than what you claim to have seen.

>> No.6533256

y'all zoombies are assuming gookmoot's caring enough about 4chan to make new boards.
he doesn't

>> No.6533258

>>6533251
>instead of just saying "we fucked up, dreamcast is in fact a 90's hardware" they said "hey this is now allowed because of 8th gen being around" which was pointed out, both then and now, as a stupid fucking mistake because it gives the 6th gen/moving window definition for "retro" exactly the kind of foothold they need to make shit threads
So if anything the fags claiming mods support /v2k/ is suspect considering the mods themselves are retarded in how they present what constitutes as retro. Why haven't they just changed the sticky to something else that doesn't make it sound like the cutoff can be bumped up?

>> No.6533268

>>6533258
umm no, you don't get to change the rules now that 6th gen is classified as retro (by your own definition) and you don't like it

>> No.6533271

Just keep making 6th gen threads, the mods will cave in eventually

>> No.6533273

I love these threads. I love laughing at the receding hairline homos as they panic

>> No.6533275

>>6533258
The mods have said the COMMUNITY supports /v2k/. That does not necessarily mean that the mods do themselves, but I like the /v2k/ proposal.

>> No.6533278

>>6533074
based jannies
mods=gods

>> No.6533279

>>6533271
No, that will accomplish the opposite. It will harden opinion and cause it not to happen.

>> No.6533293
File: 620 KB, 687x827, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6533293

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action