[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 186 KB, 256x363, Mega_Man_-_The_Wily_Wars_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
650216 No.650216 [Reply] [Original]

Mega Man: Where to start? Original Nes? Compilation? Or later games?

Also, why so difficult?

>> No.650461

I wouldn't call it difficult, so much as it has a steeper learning curve than a lot of games. It is very rewarding, though.
Most MM games are about the same difficulty as Dark Souls until you get the hang of them.
Also, Wily Wars is a good launch point. Or MM Anniversary Collection.

>> No.650667

I'd honestly recommend you playing through the NES versions instead. Wily Wars is... well, it has issues.

The pause trick that plagued the NES versions was lazily fixed by disallowing you to pause the game until every single shot you fired leaves the screen. Also, shots themselves are pretty sluggish here, and the music... well, sometimes it sounds better than the NES version, but at times it sounds like complete shit. It also has severe lag issues, especially with MM1 bosses. It's not really THAT annoying, but it ultimately makes bosses like the infamous Yellow Devil extremely easy to defeat.

It does have its pros, though. It has a save feature, which is pretty neat as it spares you from having to jot down passwords. It also has additional content after you finish all 3 games, wherein you explore levels with branching paths, and you fight three exclusive robots using any combination of weapons from the 3 games.

If you're bent on playing Wily Wars, get the Jap version, since the European version is locked at 50 FPS and feels slow as fuck.

>> No.651386

Don't play Wily Wars, the physics are all wrong. Play the original games and the first 5 X games to start.

Also not really related but Battle Network 2-3 are god tier if you like RPGs

>> No.651406

>>650667
>If you're bent on playing Wily Wars, get the Jap version, since the European version is locked at 50 FPS and feels slow as fuck.

You can change the region anytime after booting, since it doesn't even try to optimize anything. But yes, get on the NES versions. I tried to give Wily Wars a chance, but even the music feels.. disappointing. But it's not bad.

>> No.651420

>>651406

I've tried region changing the European version after the game has loaded with no visible changes. Trying that before loading the game spits out an error screen.

>> No.651440

>>651420
The visible changes were the faster gameplay and music, since the Japanese and European ROM don't differ in the gameplay and it's the screen rate making the differences.

>> No.651449

Patterns are terrible in Wily Wars

I've all but memorized the invisible blocks in Heat man's stage in 2, and in WW, there is no possible way in hell you can synchronize a pettern to them

>> No.651453

>>651440

I'll look into it later today and get back to you, because I remember it didn't do squat.

>> No.651456

Where to start: Mega Man 2, or Mega Man 9. Best games in the classic series.

Why so difficult: It's not.