[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 36 KB, 340x318, famiclone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6501562 No.6501562 [Reply] [Original]

What is a good /vr/-recommended Famiclone console? I've always had a fascination with bootlegs, and a lot of my bootleg Famicom carts (especially older ones) don't run on real hardware. From what I've read, it's very common for bootleg games to be designed specifically for the shitty Nintendo-on-a-chip clone consoles, and they were never tested on official hardware.

I'm looking for specific models or websites to buy from, because last time I tried to buy a random one from China, they sent me one of those plug-and-play consoles with built-in games (no actual cartridge slot) instead. I spent months pestering the seller about it daily before they finally refunded me and I'd like to avoid that experience again.

>> No.6501607

I think the best one is the Super NT SF which is an FPGA clone of the hardware. It's kinda expensive though but it runs everything really well

>> No.6501610

>>6501607
I'd be skeptical about the Super NT playing these old bootlegs. It's too accurate to the original hardware from what I've read. Maybe I'm wrong though.

>> No.6501632
File: 1.52 MB, 2592x1944, Family_Game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6501562
Family Game is the supreme famiclone, pretty much run everything

>> No.6501639

>>6501632
It's like a Famicom put some weight on.

>> No.6501672

>>6501562
I'm not aware of anyone making a truly good famiclone any more. There were good ones though.

>>6501610
I'd be skeptical about anything an ignorant zoomer said he was skeptical about. No chance I'm wrong.

>> No.6501681

>>6501672
I can't find any info about the Analogue NT playing bootleg games that don't run on real hardware. If you have any insight on the topic, feel free to share what information you may have instead of antagonizing strangers on the internet for no reason.

>> No.6501703
File: 10 KB, 334x297, mega-power.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this might not help you find a clone to buy, but is fascinating anyway. i love the lightguns that "will get you shot by the cops"
http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/famiclones.htm

>> No.6501847

>>6501632
>family game
>not polystation

>> No.6501916

>>6501607
>>6501681
>>6501610
The Super NT is a Super NES / Super Famicom clone, it doesn't play Famicom games.

Additionally, my RetroUSB AVS can play every bootleg I've thrown at it. That's the whole idea, it runs things how the actual hardware would, unlike an emulator which needs all the mapper nonsense to be emulated on the software end. If an emulator doesn't have support for some weird-ass bootleg chinese mapper, it won't run. Real hardware doesn't give a shit about any of that, it just runs the cart. If a cart plays in an NES/Famicom, it should in theory run on a well designed FPGA, of which the Analogue is an out of print overpriced one, and the RetroUSB AVS is a cheaper and still in production one.

>> No.6501932
File: 88 KB, 768x1024, family2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6501632
This.
Early 90s Family Game systems are clones of the Famicom and looks virtually identical. Doesn't get better than those.
But they're not that easy to come by. There's collectors for those, too.

>> No.6502004

>>6501916
>That's the whole idea, it runs things how the actual hardware would
That's the problem. The bootlegs I'm referring to specifically do not play in an NES/Famicom. They are from a time and place where official hardware was just not around. The games were made specifically for the shitty knockoff Dendy-style consoles that plagued Europe and South America, and as a result, they sometimes do not run on official hardware. I don't know the technical specifics of why this is the case, but it seems to be a well known issue among bootleg enthusiasts/collectors.

>> No.6502037

>>6501703
Cool link, thanks for sharing. It's very in depth, anyone interested in Famiclones should check it out.

>>6501932
>>6501632
I definitely would prefer something similar to these that are era-appropriate, but as you say, a lot of these have become collectors' items and are way too rare/expensive for a clone.

>> No.6502408

>>6501681
That's because you're retarded and don't even know what system you're talking about. A NES doesn't play SNES games and vice versa. That's literally the only "insight" needed.

>>6502004
It's hard to know what you're talking about because, well, you don't know what your talking about.
There were systems that weren't famiclones at all. They don't play famicom carts and their carts don't work in a famicom. The SMS and Genesis are well known examples of this.
There were famiclones with enhanced features. Some games made for them won't run on a real famicom. Some things will run fine but lack certain features, for example, can't print because the famicom doesn't have a printer port.
And, of course, there's the Super NT, which won't run famicom carts because it not a famiclone.

>> No.6502458

>>6502408
>A NES doesn't play SNES games and vice versa
>And, of course, there's the Super NT, which won't run famicom carts because it not a famiclone.
Holy shit, shut the fuck up you autist, it was clearly a typo. Why does it bother you enough to continually say this as if anyone on this planet thinks a Super NT can play Famicom games? You do realize that Analogue released an NES too, right? It's called the Analogue NT.
>There were systems that weren't famiclones at all. They don't play famicom carts and their carts don't work in a famicom. The SMS and Genesis are well known examples of this.
Not what this thread is about.
>There were famiclones with enhanced features. Some games made for them won't run on a real famicom. Some things will run fine but lack certain features, for example, can't print because the famicom doesn't have a printer port.
I thought this might come up eventually, but I thought it would be obvious that the games in question do not rely on any kind of enhancements like extra peripherals or improved hardware. These are otherwise regular ass pirate carts with absolutely nothing special or noteworthy about them, except they only play on cheap NOAC systems.

>> No.6503021

>>6502458
>Holy shit, I'm mad
Yes, and it's funny as hell
>it was clearly a typo
Not really. You seem to be literally retarded and the kind of tard who would say something like that.
>I thought this might come up eventually
No you didn't. You don't know what your talking about and already admitted you don't know any technical details. Can you even give an example of one game that works the way you claim?

>> No.6503120

>>6501632
That thing looks like the reddit robot

>> No.6503167

>>6503021
You're ignorant if you don't think this is a real thing. Take five seconds to google the problem and you'll fine plenty of old forum threads discussing it. You're welcome for teaching you something new.

>> No.6503204

>>6502458
Just buy a NOAC clone on AliExpress, man.

>> No.6503657

>>6503167
Top kek kid. You can't even explain what you're talking about let alone name one game. You're literally just talking out of your ass.

>> No.6503763

>>6503657
I've explained it multiple times now. Put game in clone, it works. Put game in official Famicom, it doesn't boot. What the fuck else is there to explain? And name literally any Famicom game that had even the slightest amount of popularity, and there is probably a bootleg version that won't run on real hardware. Lots of multicarts and some "originals" like certain Waixing games also suffer from it. There are literally thousands of such carts. It has nothing to do with the game itself, it's something about the cartridge.

>> No.6503873

>>6503763
not him, but if doesn't boot on real hardware wouldnt that mean it doesnt have a CIC chip or that the CIC doesnt work right? that's the only reason I could think of that would cause a game to boot on knockoffs but not real hardware. I don't know if a snes clone would enforce CIC checks or not but I highly doubt it since most are region free anyway. they would probably just return success on any challenge/input

>> No.6503882

>>6503763
>>6503873
alternatively you could short the CIC chip on your Famicom and see if that works

>> No.6503886

How long until we get playstation clones, or is that impossible

>> No.6503941

>>6503886
It's cheaper for manufacturers to get a cheap arm chip and emulate a PS1 in software, clone consoles that run off a cloned SOC are dead, so expect to only ever see NES, SNES, and Genesis ones from Chinese sellers now.

>> No.6505098

>>6503763
You've said words multiple times but explained nothing. You can't explain because you don't know what you're talking about.
>I thought this might come up eventually, but I thought it would be obvious that the games in question do not rely on any kind of enhancements like extra peripherals or improved hardware
>certain Waixing games also suffer from it
So you're just desperately googling for cope and not even reading what you find. Got it.
Autism: not even once

>> No.6505142

>>6505098
It's okay to admit you're wrong. We're all friends here. A sizeable chunk of pirates don't play on official hardware, aside from the obvious ones like those designed for the various VT series of clones. This is well known among Famicom pirate collectors.

>> No.6505182

>>6505142
You know now that you mention it, this might not really be the right place to be looking for that kind of information to begin with. There's eastern European communities for collecting this kind of stuff since they grew up on Famiclones and the like, right?

>> No.6505261

>>6501562
The ones made by TXC (e.g. Micro Genius and Dendy,) the older the better.

>> No.6505321

>>6505142
If it was OK to admit you're wrong you would have shut up when called on your bullshit instead of filling the thread with your cope