[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 150 KB, 490x345, Castlevania_IV_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6498758 No.6498758 [Reply] [Original]

I feel like for an action game it just goes on and on and on. I was replaying it today and never died but I got bored after killing the second to last level.

Thoughts?

>> No.6498769

Well, it is the longest classicvania to play in one go, but for some reason I don't think it drags. The level design and pacing somehow flows pretty nicely.
It's still beatable in less than an hour though, so it's still within the acceptable length when it comes to arcade style games.
I sometimes might just start a new game by using a password for the 2nd loop though.

>> No.6499393

Yes, they should have cut out several levels. The library is a complete drag. So is the cave/waterfall section. Torture dungeon could have been shortened. And the first stage is also probably the weakest opening to any CV.

>> No.6499424

>>6499393
>So is the cave/waterfall section. Torture dungeon could have been shortened.
Those are the two best stages wtf

>> No.6499464

>>6499424
The cave with the boring damage sponge monsters, and long vertical waterfall with nothing but plant enemies? Best stages? Did you even play this shit?

>> No.6499493

Agreed, everything leading up to the castle should have been cut out or spliced turned into 1 stage. Castlevania games are already pretty damn long by action game standards

>> No.6499668

>>6498758
That's why it has passwords.

>> No.6499669
File: 57 KB, 1024x632, 70749E7B-911E-473F-866A-A7EB91C31534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IV just has a lot of problems in general. It’s never difficult until you encounter some 1-hit death raps. It’s also ugly, and there’s not a single interesting or fun boss fight. I think the Hydra is the only truly good looking boss the whole game

Bloodlines is better

>> No.6499676

>>6499669
ok segatard.

>> No.6499696
File: 16 KB, 256x223, scv4f.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6499669
>It’s never difficult until you encounter some 1-hit death raps
I'd say there's more than just the insta kill traps. Personally, the part with the floating eyeball enemies and the merman spitting water at you on the submerged city gave me a lot more troubles than anything on Bloodlines. Now I know that I need to keep the cross subweapon to go through that part more easily, but my first times playing the game those eyeballs were a nightmare.
>It’s also ugly
I guess to each their own, but this is an unpopular opinion.
>and there’s not a single interesting or fun boss fight.
There's interesting boss fights, the problem is that they die too quickly. They should have been a bit more damage spongy, at least some of them, like the knight on stage 7. It's a fun fight, and the knight is a tough opponent. The problem is that you can just tank the damage and kill him quickly.
>I think the Hydra is the only truly good looking boss the whole game
You mean spritework? Most of them look pretty good I think. Pic related is probably the best looking one. Not even the giant floating skulls on SOTN look as good as this.

>> No.6499697

>>6499676
SCIV isn’t terrible it’s just ok. Name me a memorable boss fight where the trick to beating him isn’t to just wail on him till he dies

>> No.6499705

>>6499464
That's a stage for fun platforming.

>> No.6499706

>>6499697
>Name me a memorable boss fight where the trick to beating him isn’t to just wail on him till he dies

Do you realize what game series this is?

>> No.6499713

>>6499697
>Name me a memorable boss fight where the trick to beating him isn’t to just wail on him till he dies
Not him, but the golden bat. It requires you to make use of the diagonal/upward whipping while jumping, and avoiding its attacks. It also divides into 3 smaller ones that drop golden bat poo so it becomes even more tricky.
Other than that, CV isn't a series that's precisely known for the boss fights. I mean, you can just duck and "wail on him till he dies" on more than 50% of the bosses of Castlevania 1.
Bloodlines' bosses are also mostly very weak, not to mention pointless mid-bosses like the water wizard or those slow big copypasted knights.

>> No.6499768

>>6499713
Golden bat was fun, I’ll give you that. But ugly as sin. It was just the CV1 first boss but with a gross golden shimmer

>> No.6499839

>>6499697
that's... kind of the entire point of classicvanias.

>> No.6499845

>>6499839
Except almost all Bloodlines and Rondo bosses have unique attack patterns you need to learn in order to win.

SCIV sticks to the shitty boss fight format from CV1 where you just wail on the boss as fast as possible hoping the AI glitches out and doesn’t attack you for a couple of turns

>> No.6500073
File: 1.58 MB, 2240x3036, CV4comparison.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CV4 being long is a meme.

When you know the game, you beat it in 40-45 mins.
Exactly like Bloodlines.

Dracula X can be beaten in 30 mins but if you take into account the alternate stages, you're pretty close to that mark as well.

Rondo has slightly more content if you wanna see everything. Has anyone ever said Rondo is too long? I don't think so.

So the only reason why people would say "CV4 is too long" is only because the game is kinda of boring and kinda of drag at various moments.

>> No.6500440

>>6500073
Bloodlines isn't any more harder than CV4 because of the whip. CV4 compensated for the powerful whip by having more traversal and verticality. It has the best level design as you feel like you are exploring areas rather than walking through halls. I could beat Bloodlines in my sleep on the hardest difficulty whereas I might die a few times to pits in CV4.

>> No.6500503

>>6498758
i think for a castlevania game it's silly that i beat it the first time i played it in one sitting

>> No.6500780

>>6500073
Ah, it's you again.
Regarding the stair mechanic, I'll just copy-paste what I said last time:
If you REALLY want to get anal about it, you can cheese enemies while climbing up stairs in every Castlevania. You just have to walk up ever so slightly, so as to reach the enemy above, but not enough for them to touch you. It requires a bit of waiting but you can safely defeat most of them that way without risk.
I'm impressed you took the time to do this, I assume these are your own screenshots, but as the other anon said, you could do similar comparison pics with any Castlevania and find different ways to trivialize gameplay. 4's multiwhip is hardly the worst offender in this regard.
To add to this, I'll say that at the very least, 4 doesn't let you jump on stairs. So, comparatively, IV is still more challenging because that means that even if you can whip in all directions, you still couldn't avoid getting hit while you're on stairs, whereas on Bloodlines (and Rondo) you can freely jump with no consequences. All you can do in 4 is drop out of stairs, which in most cases would be suicide.
I also used to think IV was the easiest, but upon several replays of it, and the other games in the series, I think 4 might be on the same level of difficulty as Castlevania 1.