[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 21 KB, 300x209, s-l300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6497509 No.6497509 [Reply] [Original]

what in the hell is with all the bats? Was Rondo of Blood also like that?

>> No.6497626
File: 2.55 MB, 640x360, RedAxeArmor1.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not that bad, I dunno what everyone has against bats in this game.
They're very easy to get rid of and / or to exploit

>they always spawn on the height you are at the moment of spawning
>in most scrolls they spawn depending on what direction you're looking at
which can easily be exploited by moonwalking, at the end of this scroll for instance I just moonwalk+jump to make sure no bats are going to spawn in my face at the end of the scroll
>in other scrolls they spawn depending on what side of the screen you are
which can easily be exploited as well for tough situations

As for the ceiling bats there are only 3 places they can be found in the entire game, two of which are in the same optional level. I know it's dumb that you can't hit them before they move, but they can easily be exploited just as much.

>> No.6497645
File: 2.88 MB, 768x672, batwalk.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Example of moonwalking to bypass the bats altogether. Note that I had gotten rid of the skeleton at the end using the key crash so the path was fully safe, but even with the skeleton still there it's feasible without the bats catching up to you

>> No.6497651

>>6497509
Imagine playing one of the hardest and unfair games by Konami and being mad for bars. lol

>> No.6497654
File: 2.91 MB, 1280x720, moonwalk3.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also note that medusa heads work just like bats.
I think they're much worse than bats, for instance the ones at the end of stage 3, the scroll with all the pits, and the last couple ones at the clock tower still get me from time to time and I know the entire game so well by this point I'm counting how few hits I take in a playthrough.

>>6497651
This game is actually easier and more fair than say, CV3 which has its many moments of bullshit, or Rondo which requires faster reflexes and which collapsing bridge alone is worse than anything in this game.

>> No.6497669
File: 2.79 MB, 768x672, cbat.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This batch of bats here is the only one I really don't like. The first bat I whip but I just know when and where it's going to spawn.

The last one I made sure it would spawn from the right side of the screen so I could safely jump on the platform. If you wait near the platform you're just asking to get fucked and to have your time wasted.

>> No.6497675

Neat

>> No.6497985

Bats are faster, harder to see, and more unpredictable than Medusa Heads.

>> No.6498018

>>6497654
It's like Dracula X was designed with the moonwalk mechanic more than in Rondo.
Also I don't find the bridge in Rondo that hard, the very first stage of Dracula X seems harder than most levels in Rondo, what with the medusa heads, insta death spikes, and a challenging platforming section being chased by the big beast.

>> No.6498025

>>6498018
it has the most tedious Dracula battle ever

>> No.6498030

>>6497985
Hard to see, I'll give you that due to the smaller size and colour, but everything else about they work is exactly like the medusa heads.

The way they spawn is the same, the timing for spawning is the same, the way they move in arc is the same, but actually makes it easier to kill them because they the movement arc isn't as pronounced on the Y axis, so you don't have to wait/position yourself as precisely to kill them. That makes it harder to dodge them , but easier to kill them at the same time. In this game they're basically Medusas 2.0 with that last bit being the key difference.
Even the way the game is limited to 3 spawns max at the same time is the same between the Medusas and the bats.

>>6498018
The first stage is the easiest man. Game design wise, it does suck that your first encounter with the rotating platform is above a spike, but if you've played CV1/3/4/Rondo, you know those platforms. The spikes themselves aren't insta death, it takes 6 hits to die from them.

The beast chase, you have no chance as the beast catching up to you as long as you jump a few times, which gives you greater speed over it; and the level design encourages the jumping with the pits and the out of reach candles.
I do dislike the beast chase but only exactly because there is no tension, the only challenging bit is how to pick up the money bag at the end, and it's dumb how the beast just collapses at the end. It's a poor re-work of the original chase in Rondo.

>> No.6498047

>>6498030
>It's a poor re-work of the original chase in Rondo.
agree to disagree, I guess. The chase in Rondo never fealt a threat, and if you happen to fall in those tiny pits, you don't even die.

>> No.6498080

>>6497654
>>6497645
Is moonwalking a feature or a bug?

>> No.6498087
File: 10 KB, 256x232, Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Chi_no_Rinne_(NTSC-J)_[KMCD3005]-0021.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6498047
>and if you happen to fall in those tiny pits, you don't even die.

I'd argue the fate is worse than dying. Pic related, that scroll down there is the worst, hardest scroll in the entire game. There is an endless spawn of bats and merman, with pits all over the place, with the yellow eyes on top of it; and you have to take leaps of faith hoping nothing will spawn in your face during your jump because the timing and palcement of spawns is completely random. Making it out of that scroll alive is pure luck, it's like a sick joke from the devs.

>>6498080
It's a feature. You hold the attack button to moonwalk, which can be useful for dodging against many enemies (spear knights, giant sword knights, both axe knights, the giant skeleton), and in this case, also useful to exploit medusa/bat spawns

You can also hold the jump button, and once on the ground, change the direction you're facing without moving.

>>6498018
>It's like Dracula X was designed with the moonwalk mechanic more than in Rondo.

you can do the same spawn abuse in Rondo but it's not useful nearly as often.

>> No.6498089

>>6498080
I'd think it's a feature. It comes very handy when fighting certain enemies, like spear knights, or axe knights.

>> No.6498093

>>6498087
huh, weird. I never found neither that section or the collapsing bridge on Rondo hard at all. Merman are very slow, and the eyeball enemies on Rondo have probably the most friendly and easy to read patterns in all of its incarnations.
I still think the tricky jumps with spinning platforms and huge pits while being chased by the beast is a much more tense moment than either level 1 or 2 in Rondo.
Maybe we just have different kind of skills, I struggled a lot with DX, and still am not able to consistently beat it without using a continue, but with Rondo I can do it almost without thinking.

>> No.6498104

>>6498093
I'd say that DX can easily be rocked with pure memorization, and while also always playing the exact same way almost down to an autistic level. At this point I can tell when and what an enemy will do before it does.
Rondo takes more quick reflexes, you could probably know the game well in the same manner as DX, but the faster pace leads to easier mistake and quicker reflexes required.

>> No.6498113

>>6498104
Maybe, I've replayed both a number of times and I still have a much, much easier time with Rondo. To the point Rondo is actually the first Castlevania I could clear without using continues, in any route.

>> No.6498218
File: 2.81 MB, 768x672, beastchase.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6498047
By this point for me it's like the Beast isn't even there at all in DX, but in Rondo you can't reach this level of speed against it

>> No.6498228

>>6497509
why does this game have worse graphics than SCIV?

>> No.6498523

>>6498228
I don't believe it did but the main reason the two look so different is because SCIV was built from the ground up to run on SNES, whereas DX is built on assets from RoB, which ran on a more powerful system. Basically, sprites look uglier because they weren't originally designed around the limitations of the super nintendo.

>> No.6498672

>>6498523
Do the sprites look actually uglier?
I'd say they look the same, I know DX is missing some frames of animations, but it wasn't even that many (something like RoB having 6 frames and DX having 4, soemething like that).
DX actually looks more impressive to me, with much more detailed backgrounds and assets.

>> No.6500049

>>6498228
it doesn't though. CV is mostly shit/puke coloured and the game is less detailed.