[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 265x227, sonicc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6490036 No.6490036 [Reply] [Original]

Why do some people have such an aversion to vs. games? I swear like 90 percent of the gamers I meet to play old favorites with absolutely refuse to play vs. 2 player games or will want to stop after like ten minutes, wanting to put on something co op instead or take turns with single player

>> No.6490049

>>6490036
Because fuck you, Scott.

>> No.6490061

>>6490036
A lot of people play games for fun or entertainment instead of to prove that they're better than someone at something. This is one of the biggest obstacles for zoomers in retro gaming. All that fortenite has warped their brains so bad they literally can't enjoy a game unless they're killing everyone and everything.

>> No.6490064

I don't like competing. Especially if skill levels are not equal. Feels like shit if you're constantly wiping the floor with someone, and it just makes me irrationally angry when I'm completely and hopelessly outmatched. I don't really have any friends who are in the middle of that spectrum and none of them ever seem down to play retro vidya anyway. Can't earn trophies when you play retro games I guess.

>> No.6490067

>>6490061
>This is one of the biggest obstacles for zoomers in retro gaming
I never even thought about that before but it makes sense. That's depressing.

>> No.6490072

>>6490061
The worst part is how "pro gaming" fits into it, training people to treat games as disposable and that they should follow seasonal fads

>> No.6490076

>>6490061
What if you find competition fun

>> No.6490081

>>6490064
How is it different

You can play the same level in a single player game over and over until you get good enough to beat it, but you can't do that when it's a human you're playing against? This is what I don't get

>> No.6490083

>>6490061
>>6490072
Boomers invented esports

>> No.6490089

>>6490076
Then don't make threads asking why other's don't and get surprised when they give you an answer. Nobody's saying DON'T compete but there's a current trend with online being so ubiquitous these days that it seems like online is the only option.

>> No.6490091

>>6490089
I'm OP, that guy isn't. Also, fighting games and racing games and wrestling games and etc etc have existed since back in the day. Stop pretending Street Fighter 2 just came out yesterday.

>> No.6490103

>>6490081
Yeah sure that's fine when it's somebody who's better than me, I admit I don't really even have that problem, I just have one friend who's mostly at the same skill level as me, but he does play inhumanly well sometimes and gets really smug about it on those days. He also has no life and spends every waking moment of his free time playing modern vidya and trophy hunting so that could have something to do with it.

But you can't remedy the other end of the problem, my friends who are shitters just never seem to get any better, after all these years, and it's gotten to a point where they've stopped playing anything competitive at all. I could give advise but they seem to actively not want to get better and would just rather blame the game itself.

>> No.6490232

>>6490036
Because getting my ass kicked makes me contemptuous of the other person, and I’d rather not be. Mileage may vary for others, but I’m a super sore loser.

>> No.6490262

>>6490036
Most often it's you being good at a game because you own it and wiping the floor with the guest, or vice-versa. It's not fun.

>> No.6490268

>>6490262
God I wish I could remember the counter point my friend tried to tell me about people who say this... it was dumb bullshit that made no sense but it would have been good for a laugh. The dude hasn't got an ounce of humility in him.

>> No.6490293

Vs games are only fun when your skill level is relatively even. When it's the hot current vs game in the arcade or online there are lots of people that play it all the time. When it's a retro game, invariably one person is going to be a lot better than the other.

>> No.6490298

>>6490067
It really is. In ye olde times there was always "that kid" who was the annoying tryhard but seems these days every kid is that kid.

>>6490072
Commercializing anything changes it, almost always in ways the real grass roots fans don't like. But there's not much you can do about that. Personally I mostly ignore that shit and just stick with the stuff I enjoy. But the vast majority of people enjoy shit even when it goes to shit. Because it becomes a show, and apparently an entertaining one, even soccer.

>>6490076
Then you're basically fucked. You can play with other zoomers but they'll be just as unbearable to play with as you are and won't play unless it's a game they've played a lot and they can also be player 1. Or you can play with your gramps and ragequit retro gaming forever when he calmly hands your ass in every match in every game you play. The problem is you don't actually want competition, you want to win.

>>6490083
ok zoomer

>>6490091
But SF2 didn't exist "back in the day". It came out well after the golden age of gaming and is widely credited with turning the arcade scene to utter shit. Dismissed as coincidence?

>> No.6490317

Well I've gotten my answer. People suck at video games, are willing to work at beating AI, because it doesn't hurt their feelings, but are not motivated to beat human enemies because it does hurt their feelings

>> No.6490350

>>6490076
Speedrun.

>> No.6490358

because for people who aren't super into them, it'll only be fun if both players are equally shitty, ie when you were kids

>> No.6490365

>>6490061
>>6490067
>>6490072
You people are so fucking delusional, it's like your lives are just projecting eveything you don't like on some amorphous blob represented by 4chan memes

>> No.6490373

>>6490317
First post ITT, I don't particularly enjoy single player games that require a lot of replaying and learned skill either. I tend to favour games that reward concentration, tactics, exploration etc and could feasibly be beaten first time or within a few tries. That doesn't mean I don't want at least some difficulty, the game should still challenge me, just not to the extent that I'm trying the same part dozens upon dozens of times until I get good enough at the game to beat it.

>> No.6490389

>>6490298
>But SF2 didn't exist "back in the day". It came out well after the golden age of gaming and is widely credited with turning the arcade scene to utter shit.
You mean not dying a decade earlier than it could have? Your whole post is so detached from reality considering the first esports tournaments in America were arranged by teenagers shit talking each other on Usenet and meeting up at arcades to settle scores with. Not mention people sharing Doom demos and comparing gameplay skill during the same time

>> No.6490408

>>6490365
Welcome to nu4chan

>> No.6490417

>>6490268
>That's why I bought it
probably this, from your description of him

>> No.6490435

>>6490417
No, it was something along the lines of "it's a bullshit excuse that people only use when they're losing, you can just take your skills from other games and apply them to this game"

Though i'm doing a poor job at remembering it, he just sounded like her was jerking himself off for being so good at games and everyone else was just too stupid to automatically be good at games.

>> No.6490648

>>6490317
Yep, so now you can fuck off with your gatekeeper mentality.

>> No.6490695

>>6490036
They just aren't that fun.

>> No.6490696

>>6490695
https://tecmobowl.org/home/

Forgot to put this here. Tecmo Bowl online or with a friend is fun, you can even get new rosters.

Fighting games or FPS have evolved so much unless there is some sort of nostalgia or built-in simplicity (Goldeneye comes to mind, or maybe Mario Kart 64), it's not fun to try and learn a dead game.

>> No.6490741

My friends dont have an aversion to VS games but they do basically treat retro VS games as simplistic big fish in small pond syndrome garbage thats not worth putting time into compared to current big VS games so I can never get them into shit like older fighters. Never met anyone who outright hated playing VS games unless our skill levels are way too different, its unlikely someone will want to commit to getting good just to play some casual matches against their friend.

>> No.6490779

>>6490036
because working with your friends to achieve something is more rewarding for a friendship than beating them at something. it's way easier to have fun and you dont have to deal with people getting salty when they keep losing, it's just a lot of mental effort for something that should be relaxing. the only thing that solves this is if you're around the same skill level but that rarely happens unless you seek out people who play that game.

>> No.6490789

>>6490317
Yes, and that's a normal human thing. Many humans are weak and emotion-driven. Not everyone is a competitor. There exists many places in society for non-competitive humans though, so they have value and should not be looked down upon.

>> No.6490807
File: 30 KB, 252x200, ryuken.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6490779
There is no greater bonding experience between two friends than being the ones you hone your skills against, it is a mutual respect, you root for each other to win, and there is no hard feelings when one of you does not.

>> No.6490825

>>6490365
>you people are so 12+ i can't relate to you
Well there's yer problem

>>6490389
>your whole post is detached from the reality a child on youtube told me was reality
Thanks for proving my point champ

>> No.6490843

>>6490807
This only applies if both of you will play a game long term which is most likely not going to happen, most of the time you'll casually fire it up now and then to play some matches until you get bored and move on to something else. With retro games this is even more true because there's hardly any reason to get good because the scenes are small and irrelevant.

>> No.6490853

>>6490843
Isn't most emulator netcode garbage too? I remember from the Tecmo scene that we still used Nesticle in 2014 because it was the most stable and games were not as likely to drop.

>> No.6490858

>>6490853
Fightcade's better than the vast majority of modern fighting game multiplayer but it hardly matters because of small player bases and all the BRfags

>> No.6490874

>>6490858
Wasn't MUGEN supposed to be the savior of fighting genre back in the day? Now the first result is mugen hentai lol.

>> No.6490938

>>6490843
>With retro games this is even more true because there's hardly any reason to get good because the scenes are small and irrelevant.
I'm just going to keep repeating myself. You're saying people have the patience to "get good" when fighting the computer in some game but not when it's a person.

Retro games especially, require a lot of memorization and near masochistic levels of having to get good. Unless you only play JRPGs or something, the average retro gamer who's played games such as Ninja Gaiden or any of the Mega Man games knows what it is to have to replay levels over and over before it's actually easy unless they're some zoomer who uses a guide and save states every time they a

I don't know why so many people are applying zoomer logic/modern game logic to this anyway since this is a board presumably full of people who have beaten tons of games a casual wouldn't touch because it's "too hard".

>> No.6490951

Protip: /vr/ is just a hipster offshoot of /v/ and /v/ is terrible at video games

>> No.6490968

>>6490298
>But SF2 didn't exist "back in the day". It came out well after the golden age of gaming and is widely credited with turning the arcade scene to utter shit.
According to who? There's nothing wrong with fighting games, and 90s arcades were great.

>> No.6490976

>>6490365
for /vr/ is easy to just type "muh zoomer" and thats it.
>>6490825
>you people are so 12+ i can't relate to you
what you played back then with your friends(supposing you had any)? i can only remember street fighter, kof, bomberman, mario kart, racing shit, sports(even hating it) and that shit.
sometimes i would play mickey magical quest or some beat up but with 3 or more it was guaranteed to be a versus game.

>> No.6491005

>>6490262
This. VS games are only really fun if the people competing are on par in terms of skill and ability. It's not fun curb-stomping or getting curb-stomped. You remember the last really close game you had. You aren't likely to remember the last time you spent 10 minutes sitting outside the enemy's spawn point while spawn camping with the rest of your team, or the last time you spent 5 minutes trying to break out of spawn before the round ended.

This is why modern matchmaking tries to pair up people of similar skill levels, rather than just throwing two people together.

>> No.6491010

>>6490938
You can no death clear most of those games in maybe a couple dozen hours while seeing constant & consistent improvement. 100+ hours in any decent competitive game is still shitter-level, on top of that most of them do not have smooth learning curves and do not reward you with consistent improvement because the people you play against are always different, and adapt over time. You can't be "done" with a multiplayer game like you can with most single player games because outside of competitive niches like speedrunning or score chasing the skill ceiling of SP games is strictly capped.

>> No.6491034

>>6490696
>it's not fun to try and learn a dead game
I don't know about fps games and racing games, but with fightcade there's always someone willng to play 20+ yo fighting games with you

>> No.6491039

>>6490036
Because I hate people.

>> No.6491247

>>6490938
I only play JRPGs. I hate all games with skill, they're not very fun because they are frustrating. If I wanted to "get good" at something, I'd play an instrument or take up sports or learn a language. JRPGs are a mixture of aesthetics, fantasy, and plain old grinding. If a boss is hard, I can just wipe him out after spending a few hours killing shit. No need to replay the boss over and over again, banging my head against the wall, just a relaxing time commitment that I can use to multitask while fapping, posting on here, or chatting with a friend. I find JRPG co-op the most fun. We can take turns leveling as needed and keep each other company talking about random shit. In Tales games, there's even multiplayer. I suppose I must admit I hate RPGs with quality of life. I enjoy grinding for the social aspects it provides and games with zero grinding necessary suck ass. Might as well read a book since story is the only thing going for them.

>> No.6491497

I only like playing competitive if the other players and I are evenly matched. That's why NES Ice Hockey and Smash Bros. are the best games to play with newcomers. Even bad players can be good at those games.

>> No.6491523
File: 490 KB, 1880x2166, 1562639761374.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6491247
t. this guy

>> No.6491619

>>6490262
this is the only real answer in the thread. op, people don't want to play games against you when you've been training for the past year while they just learned the controls.

>> No.6491681

>>6491497
It's incredibly easy for even an intermediate Smash player to literally just dance around a beginner like they were children. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.6491709

>>6490061
You ever come across a post that makes so little sense to you relative to what it’s responding to, yet none of the replies to that post question it at all, so you’re left wondering whether you’re from another planet or everyone else is?

The OP is literally talking about people who are unwilling to play vs. modes with him in old games. These are presumably gamers OP’s own age, which makes your comment about zoomers meaningless, and doubly so if the people he’s talking about are zoomers themselves. Furthermore, these are games that were developed at the time of your average /vr/ poster’s youth. If the point of your post was to imply a generational gap where it’s mainly zoomers who are interested in competing, well, that’s just asinine. Arcade fighters and Mario Kart battle modes existed good for a reason. People of all ages from all generations of gaming like competing—heck, one of the first games, Pong, was a 2p VS. game.

>> No.6491718

>>6490298
>But SF2 didn't exist "back in the day". It came out well after the golden age of gaming
I... what? Way to discredit your entire post with one retarded statement.

>> No.6491724

>>6491681
turn on items smashfag

>> No.6491725

>>6490807
Which SF games is this animation from?

>> No.6491854

>>6491725
Alpha series

>> No.6491860

>>6491497
This. Smash is a children's party game, not a fighting game.

>> No.6491868
File: 1.09 MB, 781x934, 1304887212839.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6490036
some people can't handle competition and don't understand that getting good and playing against someone else that's good can be crazy fun for both players.

usually they either don't want to put the effort in or they take a loss personally. but also some people like beating up people weaker than them because they think winning is everything. these are always the salty players.

>> No.6491897

>>6491005
>This is why modern matchmaking tries to pair up people of similar skill levels, rather than just throwing two people together.
my favorite version of this when they launch with it just throwing 2 people together AND THEN switch over to matching based on skill.

the level of salt it produces is glorious and does a really good job at exposing the shitters.

>> No.6491962

>>6490081
That only works if you get better faster than the other person does.

>> No.6491969

>>6491523
It's pretty cool that he posted the save state in order to get so comprehensively shit on. What a neat thread.

>> No.6492002

>>6491681
Negro, even Mario Kart requires more skill than SSB, but if you're really that terrible at the game, just set it to 'time' rather than 'stock,' set damage to the highest setting and add CPU players to make a full 4-way fight, as necessary. Everyone's guaranteed to enjoy watching everyone fly off screen with every hit. Fun as shit. Especially on levels with few pitfalls, like Dreamland or DK's level, whatever it was called.
So no, madame, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

>> No.6492010

>>6490807
This is a beautiful post, and so true. I only wish more people could experience it.

>> No.6492290

>>6491709
>You ever come across a post that makes so little sense to you relative to what it’s responding to, yet none of the replies to that post question it at all, so you’re left wondering whether you’re from another planet or everyone else is?
Yes. Probably more than half of all 4chan posts feel like that, everyday, these people are infected by memes that it influences literally everything they think or say, they based their whole worldview on them. And most of 4chan is filled with the same type of people, so they just echo each other. If I named any examples, it would alert them and start filling up this thread.

>> No.6492294

>>6490807
Didn't experience this til a few years ago when I pummeled a fried in a fighter, and the rest of the night was us trying to teach each other's characters strengths and weaknesses so one of us has a better chance of killing the other. It's part of the fun

>> No.6492308

>>6490036
I agree with a lot of people in this thread, you can't get salty because other people don't want to put the same amount of time into an old fighter as you. With that being said, I enjoy playing fighting games with friends, I'm not the best and I don't really play them much but I'll go toe to toe in sf2, killer instinct, mk, king of fighters, etc ... Though it does get boring after 30 minutes or so. It's either one person is better or you both are fairly equal. I find switching up fighting games after a few rounds work best. Going from street fighter to samurai showdown, then Tekken is a great time for sure.

>> No.6492410

>>6490968
>According to who?
Everyone in the world except you and the youtuber who told you to think they way you do. All grownups know fightan games ruined arcades.

>>6490976
>i'm also ESL
Well there's yer other problem. Not even sure what your point is at this point. You only remember a few games so that means what? And makes your opinion relevant how?

>>6491709
Never. I'm an intelligent adult. And my youngest is a zoomer so I can even understand zoomerlish. You're doing some pretty complex mental gymnastics there and coping pretty hard so I'm guessing I hit a nerve. Maybe you and OP should get together and play some vs shit. After you spend an hour fighting over who gets to be P1 we'll have a pool on who ragequits first and why. I put a dollar on you ragequitting because OP spams a move you can't cope with and dollar on you picking a female character because you're a cryptotranny.

>> No.6492476

>Versus
10-15 minutes max of entertainment. 20 if you're doing a fighting game and you mess with all the characters

>Co-op
Possibly hours worth of content. More fun to work together against unfair AI odds in a game like Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8 than the 2-3 minutes you'll get out of the versus.

I've been replaying old games with a friend from PS1-PS2 era games, and the games that have held up the least are games like Goldeneye which we spent like 5 minutes with, whereas we had hours of fun with Perfect Dark.

Versuslets are coping ITT though.

>> No.6492494

>>6490049
Alex??

>> No.6492523

>>6490061
Yeah competitive games never existed before 2010 you fucking twit

>> No.6492560

>>6492523
I used to think (and now still do) that devs did versus because they couldn't program AI for co-op. Wasn't Goldeneye's multiplayer thrown together last minute? Makes sense to me.

>> No.6492565

>>6490036
vs. games meaning fighting games? its very easy to suck at them because they don't hold your every bit of the way, there is no 'save' feature to hold your hand and come back to, story of a game becomes intermittently more important or worth 'something' to say the least the more you get better at a game because you start to identify with it in some behavioral level, since like any other video game, its just a pattern. basically, most people realize that getting good means actual effort.

>> No.6492572

>>6492565
(cont)
and in today's ways where social media can help you shape your own identity in any form of perception, anyone can just as easily 'be' good at fighting games by just posting or showing hype about it. people are not invested in any thing these days and will continue not to be in my opinion.

>> No.6492760

>>6492476
What really chuffs me is the way hyper competitive tryhards can even fuck up co-op. For example, in Joust, all you have to do is not kill the other player. Stay in your lane and you'll dominate the enemies. You'll also get the co-op bonus. But some little spazzes just can't handle that. They just have to go chasing shit. "That's my egg", "I almost had him", etc. Unfortunately for them I've played hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours of Joust. I can bankshot around the screen and land on their ass before they even know what happened. And I can do it again and again until they give up. More than a few little bitches who decided they were too cool for co-op have ended up in tears.

>>6492523
>reading comprehension never existed before 2010
It goes back further than that. For example, you were born in 2008 and don't have it.
It's interesting how most people aren't bothered by, or even appreciate, what I said in that post while a few are violently triggered. Let me guess. No one wants to play with you either. I wonder why.

>> No.6492774 [DELETED] 

>>6492002
>Negro
Kill yourself, nigger lover.

>> No.6492775

>>6492760
Another problem with poorly designed "competitive" games is shit like Oddjob or Elvis in GE and PD respectively.

>NOOOOO YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO POLICE THE EXPERIENCE BY SAYING THEY'RE BANNED

Wow that sure sounds fun. How about this: Don't fucking include those characters in the first place.

Co-op is just more fair and more fun for everyone.

>> No.6492786

>>6492775
>NOOOO YOU CAN'T HAVE WEIRD OR UNBALANCED CHARACTERS JUST FOR FUN, EVERYTHING HAS TO BE BALANCED AND VIABLE IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT

>> No.6492793

>>6492786
>JUST FOR FUN,

That's funny because versusfags ITT are treating it like a life or death experience and act like sour assholes when people don't want to play these bullshit modes with them.

>> No.6492806

>>6492793
Kill yourself, you obvious redditor 90 IQ fucking waste of space.

>> No.6492807

>>6492806
Ding dong diddly seethin'. Even Xbox Live players would think you're an asshole.

>> No.6492810

>>6492807
>Ding dong diddly seethin'.
You deserve to get bricked in the face by Antifa.

>> No.6492848 [DELETED] 

>>6492810
I thought they didn't brick niggers?

>> No.6492857 [DELETED] 

>>6492848
So you're a nigger? You came across as more of a self-hating white.

>> No.6492858

>>6492857
I'm not him you retard, I was insulting him. Good job.

>> No.6492862

>>6492858
Uh. Okay.

>> No.6492864

>>6492858
>>6492862
>>6492857
Imagine the only way you can win is by handicap match, and you still lose due to friendly fire; kek.

>> No.6492867

>>6492864
Goddamn you're retarded.

>> No.6492868

>>6490036
A lot of people who are into videogames are low test cowards. Competition frightens them.

>> No.6493019

Wow this thread is fucking sad. It's like people didn't have friends to play games with

>> No.6493142

>>6492476
>10-15 minutes max of entertainment
Are you kidding me? Sounds like you guys never sat at a Poker table before. Fighting games are like gambling, and they're VERY addictive to a certain kind of personality.

>> No.6493145

>>6493142
>Sounds like you guys never sat at a Poker table before.
Most people haven't
>they're VERY addictive to a certain kind of personality
Yeah, most people aren't addicted to it. You finally get it. You guys have addictive personalities and need the rush, where as most people don't give a shit about chasing some endorphin rush from high risk behavior.

>> No.6493156

>>6490036
Because people don't like to lose and you have to practice to get good. That's why Smash is basically the only mainstream fighting game, because it's easy to learn the moves and it has items and Final Smashes that level the playing field.

>> No.6493231
File: 353 KB, 1600x1200, 1591287495100.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6493145
Right, most people are comfortable being safe. To take pleasure out of putting yourself into risky situations you would have to be a madman.

>> No.6493237

>>6493156
I don't even like playing Smash with people. I just hate any interaction with other people in video games, period.

>> No.6493253 [DELETED] 

>>6492410
asking again, what games you played with your friends? you talk a bunch of bullshit but what about the games?

>> No.6493331

Is this thread casual central or something? Very weird to see /vr/ trash on retro competitive games like they're the sanitized e-sports that exist today. Hell OP wasn't even taking about professional competitive gaming, he was referring to friendly matches with his friends, which are great fun.
I thought /vr/ was better than /v/ about not being a bunch of casual zoomers, but I suppose Sturgeon's law holds true.

>> No.6493404

>>6493142
>>6493145
>>6493231
I like poker and still prefer co-op games, because Poker is at least well designed.

Goldeneye is not.

>> No.6493437

>>6490036
I prefer playing co-op games because 99% of the friends I've had throughout my life are super casuals that wouldn't last ten seconds against me in SF2, and I'm not even good. I'd much rather have fun helping a friend struggle through a few stages of Zombies Ate My Neighbors than hit a button masher with spinning pile drivers for an hour.

>> No.6493608

>>6493437
Why should someone feel proud that they beat a limited pool of people? You beat your one or two friends at Battletanx, wow, you're the goddamn master.

>> No.6493625

Old /v/ (and by extension /vr/) always favored single-player games, especially RPGs. No prizes for guessing why.

>> No.6493761
File: 38 KB, 400x287, 1580002745348.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6493331
Fighting game threads are pretty common here, I think some spoilsport is just having some vendetta against competition in games after losing so much and decided to hijack this thread. I mean, just look at these posts
>>6490298
>>6490825
>>6492760
and tell me this guy is being rational and not proverbially shitting on the floor that is /vr/. He probably doesn't comprehend why people play sports, or even shit like tag or hide-and-seek.

>> No.6494257

>>6493608
I'm not fucking bragging, retard. Just because my friends suck shit at games doesn't mean I kick ass at them, I'm just saying it's more fun to play together with someone who sucks than against someone who sucks.

>> No.6494334

Some people are more attracted to the "winning" aspect of games, skill-based progression, competitiveness, etc..
Others, on the exploration, novelty-based progression, completion of stories, etc.

To someone more inclined to the first, VS. are instantly exciting, while exploration or story driven games might feel like a chore. They might play them entirely focusing on getting to the end and checking one game off their backlog. Players like this is why trophies/achievements exist.

Players more inclined to the later, will be looking for exciting stories/worlds to get immersed in, while VS. games feel like a chore that doesn't get anywhere. "We're just doing the same shit over and over". They might've learned to like it if you weren't such a dick about it, Scott. Don't send me links of fucking wikis to get better autistic fuck, I just want to have fun at my own pace.

>> No.6494342

>>6493761
God, I miss playing tag back when I had legs.
I miss you, legs.

>> No.6494345

>>6493156
>Final Smashes
And those are?

>> No.6494351
File: 1.20 MB, 498x498, 1580754586981.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6494342
Break a leg, anon.

>> No.6494408

>>6494351
Wish I could, but I've none to break.

>> No.6494531

>>6491868
Get me some people that won't throw tantrums, punch random things or spew self-deprecating garbage when losing and I might get into it again.

>> No.6494534

>>6494408
Well that's a real kick in the teeth.

>> No.6494557

>>6490036
In my experience its 1 of 2 possibilities:

>they're worried that they're shit at the game and will get made fun of, so they avoid vs games as much as possible and start in with self deprication to cut off the teasing
That guy who loses ONE round, gets embarrassed and starts with "wow, I totally SUCK at games, ha ha..." and then wont play another round. "Nah, I'm gonna just watch for now"

>they think the person who wants to play them will be a sore loser/winner
We all know that guy who absolutely refuses to stop playing till he wins "at least one round" and when he finally does, he gloats like he won the Olympics (after losing 20 rounds before his one win). Some people just dont wanna deal with that guy.

>> No.6494643

>>6492775
Overpowered characters are often included in games specifically to cater to mentally unstable children who can't deal with not always winning. Video game companies are mostly concerned with selling games, not being the final arbitrator of fairness.

>>6492806
>get BTFO
>seethe and project

>>6493761
This is one of the saddest examples of cope and projecting I've seen here in quite a while. I played several sports for many years. When I got too old to play I coached and reffed. I literally have pieces of paper from international sports bodies that certify I know all kinds of shit about sports. And my vast experience as a player, coach, and referee allows me to quickly identify exactly the kind of player you are. That angry little tryhard who has to be P1 and can't deal with loosing, hence can't deal with fair play and actually competition. A disturbed child with daddy issues.

>> No.6494691

>>6494643
What kind of person tries to justify their opinion by saying that they are an expert on sports. Whether or not you have "certificates" doesnt matter, you sound like a tryhard faggot that just wants to shit on your friends to feel superior lol.

>> No.6494918
File: 149 KB, 462x493, 1591320065454.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6494643
post your sportsball papers so i can laugh at them

>> No.6494968

>>6490061
>All that fortenite has warped their brains so bad they literally can't enjoy a game unless they're killing everyone and everything.
That's literally a game where only 1 out of 100 people can win a given match.

>> No.6495095

>>6494691
>0/reading comprehension
>10/strawman
Any more memes you want to spout to cope with your fail?

>>6494918
You two should just get a room and cope together

>> No.6495259

>>6495095
I like you.

>> No.6495370

>>6490061
absolutely based. it's ridiculous how this retarded mentality has made modern-day co-op extinct because people only want to show how esports ready they are.

>> No.6495379

>>6490036
>I swear like 90 percent of the gamers I meet to play old favorites with absolutely refuse to play vs. 2 player games or will want to stop after like ten minutes, wanting to put on something co op instead or take turns with single player

For all the people complaining "IT'S NOT FAIR BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF SKILL"

It's far less fair when we pass the controller to you in a single player game and you burn through all of the lives we earned. Ever consider that?

>> No.6495383

>>6495379
who are you talking to? you're not talking to me. who is this made up person that you are playing games with?

>> No.6495597

>>6490036
Because if there's a significant skill difference, it's no fun for at least one party. That and/or they just aren't in the mood to be super competitive with someone when they just want to chill with a shared interest for a while.

>> No.6495635

>>6490036
Most normalfags only find fun in the outcome, not the process of play. If they can't win, they don't want to play.

>> No.6495789

>>6494643
You have issues

>> No.6496260

>>6495635
And there's a reason weight limits exist and why not everyone fights in the UFC

>> No.6496342

>>6496260
Ah yes I'll never forget the time I played Smash Bros and tore my hamstring after getting concussed by a right hook. Never putting myself in harm's way like that again!

>> No.6496603

>>6495635
>>6496342
i have a black belt in BJJ. why do my completely untrained friends not want to have serious matches with me? don't they understand the importance of competition? i guess modern men are just pussies. that's the only thing it could be.

>> No.6496606

>>6496603
Project harder lol

>> No.6496612

>>6496606
lmao you replied really fast to say literally nothing

>> No.6496912

>>6490262
Never experienced this. During the 5th genme and allmy friends had N64 with the staple multiplayer games, GE, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Conkers, so we were all pretty good and about the same level, and we all hated co-op since it seemed stale to play against the limited AI.

>> No.6496982

>>6496603
black belt take like 10 years, it would be like going against daigo or some shit.
playing against a experienced friend would something like going against a early blue, he has the upperhand but with the basics you can still put some fight without being totally stomped.

>> No.6496994

>>6490036
>will want to stop after like ten minutes
Because that's about how fun vs games are fun for. You play a few rounds, and that's it. Same with me. I'll play for a little bit and then get bored.

>> No.6497010

>>6490779
>>6490807
I once played Mortal Kombat X for about 8 hours straight doing literally ONLY Ermac (myself) versus Skorpion with my friend. We were slowly getting better and better as we played, with some stretches of me winning over and over, and some of him winning over and over as we discovered counters to various moves and behaviors.
We ended the night with our fingers almost blistered and something like a hundred matches played.

>> No.6497446

>>6495259
Thanks

>>6495370
Modern day games are 99% FPS/TPS and often team play so there's that

>>6495789
Everyone has "issues". Not everyone has such a bad case of narcissistic personality disorder that no one wants to play with them.

>> No.6497674

This thread is full of
>that kid
that always made you lose at fighting games for like 20 minutes whenever you were at his place and got salty if you ever played a genre he wasn't an expert in.

>> No.6497834

>>6497674
It's literally only 1-2 people. But yeah, they mad.

>> No.6498903

>>6497834
>It's literally only 1-2 people

Check poster count

>> No.6498937

>>6497674
I can't tell if this is genuine, the blatant projection almost feels too crafted to be real. Almost like a false flag to mock people afraid of versus.

>> No.6499818

>>6498903
Check reading comprehension

>> No.6499829

a single player campaign has authorial intent. you are consuming something somebody made for you. playing against random people has no meaning, it's an experience generated randomly

>> No.6499831

>>6497010
basically this with my brother playing Soul Calibur. he was Pizzarugi and I was Seung Mina (I thought she was cute and her weapon had a long reach)

>> No.6499863

>>6499818
Check memes instead of answers. Take your meds.

>> No.6499915

>>6499863
Check reading comprehension. Check projecting.

>> No.6500501

>>6490036
Because I have a job, a dog, and a half-sister I had to adopt and sort out the mental baggage of. I don't have time to git gud at the theoretically infinite skill ceiling of player-vs-player.

>> No.6500603

>>6500501
Cool story /r9k/. Back to le /r9k/

>> No.6500807

>>6499831
Who tf is Pizzarugi? I asked a friend who plays SC and he has no fucking idea, either.

>> No.6500810

>>6500807
On reflection, he thinks you mean Mitsurugi. Is he right?

>> No.6500815

>>6490036
because most people play game for fun. when theres only 2 people in a room, its pretty common for one person to be substantially better than the other. its not that fun to get your shit kicked in all the time. playing smash with kids is a joke, its honestly boring to crush them with literally every character. i can stomach mario kart because its more like a solo game at that point.

>> No.6500853

>>6490036
In one word: Fags

>> No.6501720

>>6498937
Clearly a false flag. See how buttblasted he got when I pointed out all the noise was being made buy 1-2 shitposters.

>> No.6502565 [DELETED] 

>>6501720
Cope

>> No.6502645 [DELETED] 

The jews murdered JFK, bombed the USS Liberty, and bombed the Twin Towers. Now, they are destroying our countries with their pet niggers. This is a communist insurrection.

>> No.6502712
File: 209 KB, 1416x1554, yuffie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6495095
I'm still waiting on them sportsball papers. Go on, show us how much of a chad you are.

>> No.6502747

>>6502712
You don't know the first thing about Yuffie. Kill yourself, you fucking glownigger.

>> No.6502785
File: 3.04 MB, 4400x6000, Yuffie 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502747
I AM Yuffie. Now be a good cuck and lick it off.

>> No.6502790

>>6502785
Kill yourself.

>> No.6502804
File: 17 KB, 630x630, 1995 07 29 build image 01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502790
"No!"

>> No.6502810

>>6502804
Yikes! That's a scary image. It almost distracts me from the fact that I want to physically remove you from this mortal coil.

>> No.6502828
File: 27 KB, 500x500, punishment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502810
stay seething. This is fucking hilariously. Btw I literally cannot understand why you're mad?

>> No.6502830

>>6502828
Yikes! Very scary!

>> No.6502884 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 314x445, 71ce3S6LCpL._SY445_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502830
He's coming for you.

>> No.6502892

>>6502884
Shut the fuck up.

>> No.6502914
File: 79 KB, 849x903, 1484295889228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6490036
Op this entire thread is the reason, everyone in it no matter their opinion
t. pve

>> No.6502930

>>6502914
>t. pve
What did he mean by this?

>> No.6502939
File: 25 KB, 570x321, il_570xN.1743431232_24vi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502892
Prepare your anus.

>> No.6502941
File: 23 KB, 512x512, Eternal, Unending.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502930
>how do I played video game?

>> No.6502951

>>6502941
Please don't do secret society shit, lest we fucking kill you as a society.
-John F Kennedy

>> No.6503143
File: 35 KB, 686x386, 092a62fce39b81756e9bf662d7f82b49ece92146436bf994486a48e1a412d8d2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6502951
>interent
>secret

>> No.6503215

>>6502712
>I'm still seething
And apparently samefagging. So confirmed only one tryhard faggot ITT? Imagine starting a thread with a childish rant and finding out literally everyone thinks you're a faggot. No wonder you're so assmad.

>> No.6503418

>>6502747
>You don't know the first thing about Yuffie. Kill yourself, you fucking glownigger.
Unironically what did he fucking mean by this? I only used based teenage ninja as a reaction image, nothing more

>> No.6503604

>>6502884
Are you fucking kidding me? File removed because it's the cover of a PS2 game? Based retard jannies

>> No.6503749

>>6503215
I wasn't even him, I'm just waiting for you to back up your claims that you "literally have pieces of paper from international sports bodies that certify I know all kinds of shit about sports". Date and time on a notecard too, kudasai.

>> No.6503924

i'm going to assume you're talking about retro game. any multiplayer game you play is going to have 2 people playing:
- i've play this game for 25 years straight and will mop the floor with you
- i never owned this game/haven't played it in 25 years/i'm a zoomer who's never heard of it

if you put the two together, you're just going to have a bad time.

>> No.6503940

>>6490036
Couch co-op is comfy af, no two ways about it.

>> No.6504184

>>6490262
>>6490061
>>6490064
Pretty much these but with the added bonus that losing is frustrating

>> No.6505191

>>6503749
>i'm totally not him, I'm just copeposting the same cope as him
I don't believe you, OP

>> No.6505209

>>6505191
It must be fun to win every argument(after you angrily turn it into an argument) by just grentexting someone and putting words into their mouth.

>> No.6505704

>>6503924
A lot of hidden vs games to discover and fuck around with.
A lot of tournaments have mystery game tournaments with fighters no one has played and everyone is just flailing around trying to figure out the basics.
No one outside of Japan has really played games like Waku Waku 7, Astra Superstars, or Galaxy Fight

>> No.6506843

>>6505209
>I've lost every argument and seethe when people use greentext to mock the stupid things I say

>> No.6508138

>>6506843
Dude wtf why are you admitting to eating your own shit and running over babies

>> No.6509053

because its only fun for the first 2 seconds if you arnt the same level as each other

>> No.6510019

JUST

>> No.6510046

>>6492410
>Never. I'm an intelligent adult.
Well if you say so, it MUST be true.

>> No.6510940
File: 8 KB, 225x225, seething.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>still seething

>> No.6510982

>>6490036
Two reasons:
1. I don't always find a game where me and them are both "starting from zero" , and we have no reason to play a game that has zero community and zero balance between us (if he's a newbie and I'm experienced, for example).
2. I don't often have friends to play with and I prefer to avoid emulation, so no netplay.

Though if anybody has an idea for what to do about netplay, then I'd be up for it. I just don't know what to do to get started on netgames.

>> No.6510991

>i can only have fun if i beat humans that are worse than me so i can validate myself and get a tiny burst of endorphin

>> No.6510995

>>6490741
Can you blame them? It's not like there is a big market for this skill. It would be like learning a very small, uncommon language. You can spend your time learning any language, so why spend roughly equal time on one that is nowhere near as useful?

>> No.6511013

>>6492476
So this is copypasta after just one thread? Amazing speed. I mean, it's good strong bait, so I guess it's all the better.

>> No.6511028

>>6494534
Hope he can get a leg up on life and walk away from this standing tall

>> No.6511047

>>6500810
Obv it's a joke

>> No.6512687

>>6493761
>He probably doesn't comprehend why people play sports

Competition sucks ass. If you lose, that's no fun. If you win, you've made somebody else lose, so that's no fun either.

>> No.6512694

>>6512687
With the distinction that physical exertion releases a whole bunch of beneficial chemicals in your brain, while all videogames does is give you diabetes.

>> No.6512695
File: 987 KB, 500x452, 1589991150097.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6512687
What kind of fatty fatty boombalaty ass, blubber lumped, nippled dicked, greasey grill cheesed fat flapped, cuckarino simper simpy bitch, shit stained penis wrinkly, chubbers McKenzie ass, single mother raised, dildo as a butt plug, nigger degenerate, gibs me dat, panzy, limp wristed faggot shit is this. Go choke on a brick, loser.

>> No.6512702

>>6512694
Sure and that's why I do non competitive exercise like running and swimming

>> No.6512705

>>6512702
Most competitive athletes are hooked on roids though which fucks up your heart.

>> No.6512795

>>6512705
>hooked on roids

>> No.6513187
File: 26 KB, 480x480, 1591904637873.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PvP games are simply more interesting and reward talent.

In most PvE games you will eventually reach a point where you know the game inside and out. The only thing to do at that point is speedrun autism, challenge runs, shmup score autism, whatever. But you are still replaying the exact same content over and over. If you want a story, literature and film are better mediums for this than gaming. If you move on to other games after you beat them, you never really develop any mechanical skill. These were basically the only kinds of ways to play before SF2.

No 2 rounds of a PvP game are TRULY alike. Take a fighting game for instance. The AI will simply let itself get hit and do nothing, then whiff punish your jab with a super. Something a human would and could never do. This is because humans are much more intelligent than the game and don't do this kind of retarded stuff or react in 1 frame. PvP games are great because you can put your dexterity, experience, and intelligence against someone else whereas game AI is predictable and abusable.

Zoomers are simply given access to better online PvP that the stupid 30 year olds on here never were, or are just less retarded which is why they pick PvP. Why would they play the same rehashed JRPG plot about Japanese teenagers killing god for the 300th time like you did when you were a kid? They can log on fortnite, develop insane skill at the game, build a fucking FORTRESS in 5 seconds, etc. Plus people are way more skilled at games now even vs the online PvP you had. How many people in quake 3 arena were strafe jumping? Almost 0. A zoomer could learn how to do it in 5 minutes with a youtube video if that game came out today and most would. You can keep your shitty JRPGs and autistic ancient games where you just level up and never hone any actual dexterity which is what PVP does. Zoomers are developing their reflexes, ranking up, while you morons have been gaming for decades with NO PVP SKILLS to show for it. Sad.

>> No.6513201

>>6513187
Quake 3 is one of my favorite games back in the day

It's dead now - but all the single player games I loved back then like Super Metroid or Link to the Past? I can still play them and enjoy them. I can't with Quake 3.

You see it now like Evolve. I got 200 hours out of Evolve on Steam. It's dead now - what was the point of me playing it that much? MP games are a literal meme.

>> No.6513312

>>6490061
How has playing a game you're statistically unlikely to win in almost every single time made it difficult for them to lose in competitive games? All these zoomer games are crazy complex. What is everyone smoking. Like if you have the patience to play Rust but can't play a SNES game you're just retarded.

>> No.6514693
File: 35 KB, 700x700, think.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6513312

>> No.6516742

>>6490036
You know OP when I play fighting or racing (no not mario kart or smash I mean actual games) games I usually teach them how to play them properly and tell them which characters and cars are shit and which aren't. Maybe you could try that? it always works for me.

>> No.6518007

>>6516742
>Dude imma finna coach you

How patronizing

>> No.6518204

>>6518007
>this game is kinda hard anon
>want some hel-
>DON'T PATRONIZE ME ANON!
no wonder no one wants to play with you

>> No.6518723

>>6518007
>i refuse to let teachers patronize knowledge into my head
Explains a lot

>> No.6519403 [DELETED] 

saged and reported

>> No.6519501

>>6490061
What is Q3 or CS

>> No.6520445

>>6513201
Try CS instead. Still going strong after 20 years

>> No.6521385 [DELETED] 

reported and saged 4

>> No.6521730

>>6520445
I don't like CS, never did. TF2 was my game until they ruined it with the new weapons

I just play co-op PS2 games over parsec with a friend now.

>> No.6521792

>>6513187
I wonder how true this is, because something tells me that if for example advanced learning AI becomes viable for most games people will still ignore it and stick with human opponents because at its core pvp is socialization not the desire for challenge

>> No.6521803

>>6513312
The complexity is learned in a completely passive casual fashion most of the time though which is the problem. People will spend 1000 hours playing LoL with their brain shut off and then struggle with the simplest nes/snes games because they simply haven't built up the skill set necessary to consciously and deliberately learn games instead relying on passive improvement and intuition. Most of these people pleateu hard in pvp games as well because at some point your natural learning well runs dry and you are forced to THINK about what you are doing.

>> No.6521830

>>6490036
I like versus games, but only if we're both new. Playing any non-online competitive game feels boring and worthless against an opponent that will win 99/100 times. An ideal competition is against someone that you can probably win against.

Even rats understand this. Runt-of-the-litter rats will literally starve themselves rather than fight alpha rats because they know they will lose and starve anyways.

People that bring their friend into versus games just to get effortless wins are losers and too afraid to play against others of similar skill. Probably too insecure to bear a loss.

If you want your friend to get into a 1v1 kind of game (fighting games), then get them to practice the game against computers, give them tips, and wait for them to feel ready against you. Most of the time by "showing them the ropes" and doing little spars you're subconsciously deterring them. They probably think "What's the point? Did he really just teach me the game for an hour just so that I can get steamrolled? What a waste of time, and how pathetic of this dude."

I used to do this, don't make the same mistake. Be better.

>> No.6521836

>>6519501
Quake 3 and Counter-Strike games

>> No.6521965

>>6521836
Thanks for clearing that up brah. I'd heard the terms before but no one I play fortnite or league with knew what they meant.

>> No.6522371 [DELETED] 

reported and saged let me bump off my last remaining comment on this website and then I will stop posting forever

>> No.6523204 [DELETED] 

>>6490036
vs is only fun if you're both queer enough to enjoy the inherent homoeroticism

>> No.6523208

>>6523204
here you are :)

>> No.6524187

>>6491681
t. Fox only final destination

>> No.6524312

>>6490036
Vs. games aren't fun if you're playing the guy who owns the actual game and you don't. So what if you can stomp him after you spent hundreds of hours perfecting your technique and they just picked it up. That's not fun for anybody but you.

>> No.6524326

>>6524312
>it's only fun if I WINN
This whole thread is pathetic.

And the fact that people keep using terms like "pvp" and "online" only proves how many of you are fuckin' poseurs, you faggots weren't even alive in the 90s let alone ever been to an arcade or played a two player vs game on a friends couch, get the fuck out and go back to /v/ where you belong.

>> No.6524340

>>6524326
In a vs. setting, it's only fun if you have a fighting chance. I'm talking about getting STOMPED here. Not just losing a round.

>> No.6524951

Damn people who play VS are pathetic.

>> No.6525679

>>6524326
Mate get it through your head you know the game in and out while your friend likely doesnt they're new and I'm willing to bet you keep them completely in the dark just so you can keep beating them if anything you're the pathetic one. You think I haven't seen this shit before? Oh and it's real rich when the guest learns really quickly and the host all of the sudden doesnt want to play anymore. Just a bunch of ego fishers.

>> No.6527174

JUST

>> No.6527597

>>6494345
in the new games they have orbs that fly around the map if you break em you get to do a super move that basically one shots whoever you hit it with.

>> No.6527607

>>6490317
Yeah pretty much. 1 on 1 has always fucking sucked. Smash Bros and Golden Eye vs were great because there was you and 3 of your friends fucking each other up. So even if you weren't as god as your friends you could still get a cheeky kill in now and again.