[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 34 KB, 300x268, Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6468618 No.6468618 [Reply] [Original]

Worst Mario game, he runs slow it's like every level is underwater

>> No.6468634

>>6468618
The original Super Mario Bros on NES is unironically the worst. Super Mario Land comes close, but that was on Gameboy so it gets a pass

>> No.6468670

Mario moves slow because the Gameboy LCD is slow. If he moved faster you'd not be able to make out your surroundings from all the motion blur. It's good design.

>> No.6469704

I agree that it does feel a bit slow, but I got used to it. Definitely prefer it over Mario Land 1.

>> No.6469712

>>6468618
I recall enjoying completing SML2 on my Game Boy Pocket. I should load up the rom on my Vita.

>> No.6469779

I like it. I don't like it as much as SMB1 or SMB3 or anything but I do find it more enjoyable than the New Super Mario Bros. games or 3D Land on account of feeling unique.

>> No.6469828

SML 2 was my first Gameboy game. I played the shit out of it, but I think part of me knew it kinda sucked. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Like you keep playing a game that isn't that great, but you're young and can't quite tell that it sucks cuz you don't fully understand your own feelings yet. I don't know how to describe it.

>> No.6469838

>>6469828
I don’t know. Playing Mario while taking a shit or on a road trip was awesome.

>> No.6471353

>>6468618
feels kinda like a knock-off, but a huge part of my childhood. someone rom hacked a color version a few years ago and its great

>> No.6471361

>>6469828
yes, I had the exact same experience

>> No.6471460

Nah, it was great.
Back in the day it was like playing a pocket version of Super Mario World (open world map, secret levels, battery backup) but with its own unique flavor that both GB games had, to this day, I still think it has the most memorable environments and bosses out of any Mario game.

Playing it in recent years hasn't changed my mind much either, except for the fact that as an adult playing it on an emulator, the game feels a lot shorter and easier than it did when I was 7yo playing it in a blurry LCD screen lit by a desk lamp.

The speed is justified by >>6468670 and also the fact that they made the sprite's bigger, it just made it easier to play on the original GB. I'd much rather have it this way than the first Mario Land, with its faster (almost slippery) physics and tiny ass sprites.

>> No.6471617

>>6468618
I heard the devs hated making this game but I still it quite a bit (until Wario's castle)

>> No.6471656

>>6471460
This.
I believe a lot of shit this game has been receiving in recent years might be inspired by some youtubers or new information about how the developers were seen a a second-grade team which made derivative "non-canon" Marios.

I loved SML2 as a kid, and as that anon said, it was like playing a portable Super Mario World. Just compare the graphics of the first SML to the sequel, and you can see how it really felt like a massive upgrade. Then we have Wario, the rabbit power-up, the fantastic score, the bizarre enemies, the charming map screens, the Moon level, etc. Just a lot of good stuff here for an old monochrome handheld.

>> No.6471732

The music is a clear downgrade.

>> No.6471758
File: 4 KB, 303x243, 1366835039565.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I recently played it and it's perfectly fine. It has a lot of effort put into it. Not the best Mario, probably the easiest (on account of the level structure) but really fucking good for GB. Mario has momentum, you can spinjump, the level design is serviceable with almost every level having its signature gimmick or enemy, the music is nice, the settings and enemy designs are original and we will never see something like them in Mario ever again... what's so bad about it? It's not like Mario's slower movement make the level design feel awkward or something.

I would also say Wario's Castle is an awesome way to top it all off. What an awesome gauntlet and a way for my boy Wario to make his debut.

>> No.6471764

>>6468618
The only thing that ever bothered me were those hills you passed through to get to Macro zone that shrink Mario that we never get to see other than a static map element.

>> No.6471892

Some of my earliest and best memories are of playing it at school or in the car. It's not bad.