[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 250x242, 1360248799930.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
645704 No.645704 [Reply] [Original]

Best arcade you've ever been to?

>Live in Kuwait for most of my childhood
>Hot as shit, nothing to do
>New outlet of a chain of malls called City Centre opens up near by
>City Centre always has a (to be fair, pretty fucking humongous, easily the area of a city block) kid ballpit/gym with arcade
>Old City Centre arcades were shit
>Not much hope for the new on-
>HOLY FLIPPIN' AMERICAN TEETEES
>Shitload of classic Sega racing and lightgun arcade games
>Mothefucking Tekken 1 and 2
>Mothefucking Death Crimson OX
>Motherfucking Time Crisis(es)
>Mothefucking House of the Dead 3 AND 4
>Motherfucking Metal Slug(s)
>Motherfucking too many motherfucking arcade games to even count

You'd never expect something this glorious in a tiny oil-rich Middleeastern country that latches onto Murrica's cock, but holy shit it was an amazing arcade. I've never seen one as expansively varied as it.

It's been a good 7 or so years since I've been to Kuwait, man do I miss it.

>> No.645729

>Mothefucking Death Crimson OX

That game is trash.

I bet that arcade was shut down years ago, anon.

>> No.645750
File: 32 KB, 151x228, Bully.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>645729

>> No.645759

>>645729
Trashy fun

A game can be shit but fun

I bet you didn't even play it, you just read the IGN review

>> No.645782

>>645759

I've played the Dreamcast port with a light gun.

>> No.645837
File: 73 KB, 640x640, Punch Mania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, felt like ATATATATATATATA!

>> No.645919

It was a subject of a thread back when /vg/ first opened, but the best one I've ever been to was a place here in CT called Smiles, (formerly Milford Amusement Center).

The place had everything, Massive room of arcade cabinets and coin-op games, laser tag downstairs, food court and pool hall upstairs, and in its older days they even had outside stuff like a full mini-golf course and bumper boats.

Some of my earliest childhood memories were getting pizza and playing mini golf with my parents, then later playing all the arcade machines. Beat HotD2 with some stranger with a sack full of quarters, and I once beat a radio DJ at a game of Mortal Kombat to score baseball tickets.

When I got to high school me and buddies would go to all night lock ins and play laser tag and DDR until the sun came up. Even more, when I got out of high school (and the arcade section started it's slow race towards death), we'd load up the pall hall and have a blast there.

Then I went off to college for a few years and when I got out I found that it had finally been shut down. I didn't cry when my grandma died, but I cried that day. It felt like so much of my life was tied to good memories of that place it was a damn shame to see it close down.

>> No.645957

I live in Japan and arcades here are hype as all hell. Go look up a game called Sengoku Taisen to see some of the interesting stuff they are doing with coin-op over here.

Why are they so dead in America and the UK, shit makes me sad

>> No.645980

>>645919
>Didn't cry when his grandma died
>Cried when arcade shuts down

...fuck. Was your grandma an old bitch or are you just that much of an asshole or something?

I barely ever talked to my great grandma, but it was so hard to hold back from crying at her funeral when they played this one elvis song since she was a fan of elvis.

There's something morbid about the way we dress our dead up and then display them at their funeral.. when my first great grandma died when we were much younger i was sad, but my morbid curiosity just wanted to get up and look at the corpse.

about the arcades, though.. I never had a decent arcade. I remember going to one and there was a mortal kombat arcade game, and I swear I would've jizzed myself if I wasn't so young at the time.

>> No.645989

>>645980
I realize how dickish that comes across. I was just young at the time and it was my first time experiencing death, also I didn't really know her too well, to be fair. I actually watched as she had her heart attack and it always struck me as strange that I wasn't sad about it, but someone pointed it out to me that I may have just been accepting of death from an early age.

But so I dont digress to much from the topic, that arcade meant the world to me. I may not have been close with a lot of my family, but that place meant something more to me than just being a place to go, it's hard to explain. Many good memories tied to that place

>> No.645990

>>645980
>>645989
>>>/soc/
inb4 >>>/v/

>> No.645998

>>645990
Fuck off

>> No.646010

>>645990
Yeah, fuck off autist.

>>645989
I see, well I kind of understand. I have places like that, like the old video store I used to go to and check out the super nintendo games and ps1 games. Also the goodwill because I used to find retro games there..

To this day when I think of a place to go for fun, it's always the good will, even though they never have good video game shit there anymore.

>> No.646028
File: 28 KB, 439x474, 1998034m071.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Namco arcade in mall comes around at least by the time I'm 4 in 1992
>very little about it changes over the next many years
>same games, same prizes, same signs out front, it all even SMELLS the same
>they have a section for new games but still keep the old good ones
>stepping in to it is nostalgic as fuck and always relaxes me
>go there a lot (even when I'm flat-broke) to think because it's like a sanctuary to me

>2007
>it's closed down and is replaced by a featureless white wall

>2013
>go in to mall and the wall is gone
>see some of the familiar arcade artwork
>HOLY SHIT THE ARCADE IS BACK.
>run up to it
>..something is different..
>..it's not an arcade at all!
>it's a fucking cheesy buttrock radio station now
>complete with a windowed DJ booth where the lame "Morning Zoo" hosts can look out in to the foodcourt and do their cliche bullshit show

>> No.648349

Reposting this from a few threads ago.

>tfw there has never been a real arcade anywhere near you
Sure, there was always the small arcades when we went to watch movies and such, but never a real arcade
I recently found out that there was an arcade place that had opened up in a nearby mall. It stayed open for a good two months before it moved out. I found out on one of the last few weeks, and nearly everything was already taken down by the time I got there. The same thing happened with a comic book shop, only I was there on its first week of opening, and its last week of opening.

A few buddies of mine are planning a trip to the Chinatown in Los Angeles in a few weeks. Anyone know if there are any good arcades out there I should look into?

>> No.648361 [DELETED] 

>>646028
>it's a fucking cheesy buttrock radio station now
Pig disgusting.

>> No.648397

>Live in Nebraska
>Local arcade was pretty cool, had some nice games
>Only one fighting game, but that was enough to please me
>Few years later, Arcade is cut in half, part of it becomes a Subway, games are replaced with crane games and hunting games
>150 miles away, in the city of Omaha, lies an arcade I've only imagined in my dreams
>Sits on the bottom floor of the city's big mall
>Fighting games galore. I had to keep myself from falling to my knees and crying
>Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2, Project Justice, SFII and 3rd Strike, Tekken Tag Tournament and Tekken 5.
>All of them are in working order, obvious they're maintained well

It's been several years since I last went, so I can't say if it's still as good, or if it's even there. God, it was magnificent though.

>> No.648484
File: 105 KB, 600x476, trocadero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any Britfags might know this one, the Trocadero in London was absolutely amazing, had everything from Fist of the North Star to Mario Kart arcade. It was like 3 floors I think.

Those who didnt go there might remember it being Segaworld in the 90s, the tragically over-ambitious arcade park that was never completed (was intended to have rides, and those tubes from Chemical Zone in Sonic 2 were to be one). Had Sonic suit mascots and everything.

Sadly I hear it shut down last year.

>> No.648493

There's an annual 'classic gaming expo' here in portland. For 3 days, they put together a hueg arcade with like 2,500 arcade machines of all types and genres. It's one hell of a drug

>> No.648503

>>648493

Did it already happen his year?

I wish Ground Kontrol would expand into something decent like that, and have some thought put into their cabinets.

>> No.648704
File: 221 KB, 300x325, 1363487512062.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Live in Alabamer
>Around 2000 I go to the mall arcade for the first time
>Tekken
>Soul Calibur
>DDR
>Some other rhythm game involving hands and circles and shit
>Initial D was the hottest shit back then
>Fuck yea video games

Fast-forward to now
>No more Initial D
>DDR is alone in the back
>Not one fighting game
>Guitar Hero I guess
>Some shootan games
>The rest are ticket games
>All life is pain

>> No.648724

>Sometime in 1990's fuck loads of Sega Parks are made in the UK.
>Live in North London
>Sega is still quite a bit thing here
>Literally live less than 15 minutes away from a Sega Park
>Used to go there for special things like Birthdays and Treats with my brothers
>It had a huge picture Sonic on the right of the building
>Inside was generic arcade with fuck loads of Sega Arcades.
>2001 rolls by
>It closes down, but still have the large sonic on the side
>Pass by it a lot for a few years
>One day I walk past and its gone, and the place turns into a fucking clothes shop
>It's been a clothes shop for about 10 years now

It's sad, I never went there much, I was only about 7 or so, when it closed, so I only went about 5 times in my life, but it's really sad to walk by and see that shop.

Another similar story is that a Gamestation closed down for a fucking clothes shop as well, and that Gamestation was good, it sold retro games at decent prices, but I didn't buy them back then, and now it's gone.

>> No.648821
File: 145 KB, 335x358, MAYOR01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>local fuddruckers
>arcade was small but always had some quality games
>goofy light gun games I can't remember the names off
>claw machine (I was BOSS at this shit)
>marvel vs capcom 2 (site of my first vidya boner)
>cruisin' usa (FUCK. YES.)
>there was a twilight zone pinball machine there briefly
>spent my last quarter on it
>got into a mad fucking streak
>crushed my big bros score by a huge margin
>all the kids had stopped playing and were watching me slam this fucking game
>the fucking ball gets stuck
>all the other kids get on each side and rock it back and forth
>tilted that bastard loose
>everyone cheers as I enter my name into the high score table

Good fucking times. I still go there for the food every now and then, but the arcade is barren now.

>> No.648857

>>648484
There are still several arcade machines in the Trocadero itself, though following a change in management the upper floors are sadly boarded off. Whilst the place is still quite active, the closure of Funworld lead to the loss of all the fighting games and joystick-based cabinets.

Most of what remains are 3D racing, shooting and dancing games, with a few penny-pushers set aside from the atrium.

>> No.648874

>only local arcade is super kiddy with tokens and shit
>the only decent game they have is Crazy Taxi
>put in a token
>HEY HEY HEY at 5000 decibels
>everyone in the arcade looks at me

>> No.648884

>>645990
>>>/v/

>> No.648921
File: 62 KB, 640x480, 1281651299_r360open.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I live right near the Trafford Centre in Manchester, it opened in 1998 and had a Namco Station in it. Place was awesome, had an 18 lane bowling alley, bumper cars and pool tables as well as loads of arcade games.

All the great stuff like Crazy Taxi, Tekken and the usual Time Crisis cabs along with cool shit like a Sega R360 right at the doorway. I think this pic is the actual one in the Namco Station, the neon signs look very familiar.

Either way, the Namco Station is still there but the arcade games have dwindled. Now its got a handful of light gun games, some racers and guitar hero cabs mixed in with penny pushers and fruit machines.

The place was good fun.

>> No.649042

>>648724

Ah Gamestation, I was there throughout all the buyouts, sad to see such a great company die on its knees. Blockbuster had good intentions but terrible management, and GAME cut off distribution lines and used it as a dumping ground. When it was independent was the last time I enjoyed a job. Great fun, great people.

>> No.649048

>>648874
They probably looked at you for being the bastard that suddenly turned them all deaf I hope you're happy you massive twat

>> No.649057

>>645782
>port
now reconsider your position