[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 16 KB, 256x224, Pokemon_Pinball_GBC_ScreenShot1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
645064 No.645064 [Reply] [Original]

Were you a shitty kid when it comes to games /vr/?

>Be 7
>Christmas 2000
>So excited for Banjo Tooie
>Get up, go and open presents
>Not much, looking for Tooie
>Don't get Banjo Tooie, only get Pokemon Pinball
>Act like a cunt to the rest of the day to my mother, she knows why, tell her exactly why

As I got older I realised we were actually really poor at the time, my mother had just divorced my father because he was a cheater and kept money from her and we didn't have much. She bought me what she could only afford while working and trying to bring up three kids under 12 while not getting anything out of the settlement of divorce, my father didn't even want custody but managed to get pretty much everything in settlement.

>The game now has a special place on my shelf.
>Sorry Mum.

>> No.645083

Did you apologise to her anon? Mother's day is pretty soon if you didn't.

Also Pokemon Pinball is an awesome game

>> No.645093

>>645083

Mother's Day is tomorrow in Australia, and I'm not sure if I ever did apologise. I will when I see her tonight though, the entire thing still makes me feel like shit.

>> No.645103

No way dude. I grew up pretty poor so I loved everything I got. I was always a generation behind too. Like I got a genesis when the playstation came out. and Didnt get a playstation until the mini one came out. I actually bought my own ps2 with my own money that I worked for and it felt great.

>> No.645109

>>645064
I made some poor choices here and there as a kid but as much as I begrudged myself, or the times when my parents got me a shitty game, I learned to make the most of it like Kid Kool

>> No.645112

Nothing like that really happened with me, probably because I was so easily entertained as a kid. Even if I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas or a birthday, it usually didn't matter because I got something. It wasn't as if I appreciated the thought and not just the gift, I had no concept of that as a kid, it was just something cool and new.

>> No.645141

>>645103

I think my justification is being so young i really had no idea about how much a new game was worth, Banjo Tooie was easily around $100 new in Australia then, and also when my Father did see me he bought me gifts, such as a Gameboy Colour which I realised a couple of years later was a gift to:
a) Impress his new girlfriend
b) Make my mum annoyed, being in such a shit financial position and she couldn't provide me anything like that.

So I think that was half of it, my Dad was swimming in money while with Mum she was just trying to get by, using gifts to one-up her.

>> No.645161

All I had for most of my life was a Genesis with Sonic 1 and 2, and I cried when my dad brought me home a transparent blue N64.
Any game I owned or rented I would play over and over for hours and hours. I really appreciated any games I had, which was good because we were poor as fuck and games were really expensive. I just didn't get to play a ton of games like most kids, since I was playing the same shit forever enjoying it.

>> No.645179

Nope. I was raised properly.

>> No.645182
File: 3 KB, 203x219, 1281363205184.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry about that OP, it was a rough year. I only got Banjo Tooie, Hey You Pikachu, a DVD player wth Pokémon 2000 and The Matrix, and a ramen set.

>> No.645193

>>645179

My mother was trying to raise me as properly as she could, it was entirely on me if I was a spoilt shit who didn't get what he wanted.

>> No.645197

>>645182
Whoops, forgot about Pokémon Puzzle Challenge.

>> No.645205

I never even had a console as a kid because my parents couldn't afford it. My first console was the PS2, and I'm 25. So many games I missed out on.

>> No.645234
File: 15 KB, 352x375, papi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>645182
>mfw i got a gbc w/pokemon yellow and an n64 atomic purple set with mario 64 and pokemon stadium in '99

>> No.645257
File: 2.75 MB, 250x170, 1356566269940.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was born in Ukraine and until the year 2000 I didn't even had a chance to play vidyo at all. (I was 9 by the time)

also simlar story with my father however he was an alcoholic asshole and I usually had only bunch of toys that my mom bought me when she could.

thanks to my older sister her boyfriend got a win98 PC back in the day and it was the first time I played some vidyo.

my first games were:

duke nukem 3d
quake
doom
half life
serious sam
and one russian game called allods - evil islands

I regret fucking nothing. thanks mom and sis.

>> No.645270

Only time I complained was when my sister left my Game Boy Pocket unattended on a table at a cousin's party when I was 6 (shes a year older)

She asked to borrow it and I stupidly did..she got bored, left it on a table and left for the jumper. 5 minutes later and after searching everywhere I broke down and yelled at my mom because she said I was making a scene. That was the only system they bought me till the Game Cube, I loved that Pocket because my dad put in a shitload of overtime to get it and took me to Toys R Us to pick it out ;_;

Only other console I got was a Genesis as a hand me down from a cousin who stole it originally

>> No.645317

>10 years old
>playing Mega Man 3 on an emulator
>have awful game rage
>also in a particularly shitty mood that day
>getting my ass kicked
>start screaming what little profanities I know at the computer
>slamming the keyboard, etc.
>mom comes into my room with teary eyes
>asks me to calm down and not swear because it reminds her of my dad who used to abuse her
>tell her to shut up and leave me alone
>normally she would punish me in some manner
>instead starts straight up crying and goes to her room
>continue raging at mega man 3 for another hour before quitting and going to sleep

I felt bad the next day and said I was sorry, but I still really wish I could go back in time and beat the shit out of my 10 year old self.

>> No.645336

>>645317
To be fair, that's not exactly something a 10 year old who didn't go through the same issues would understand.

>> No.645354

>>645257
>mfw im ukrainian
>dad was alcoholic
>he introduced me into PC games
>playing all those matches of half Life, quake, and CS 1.6
I love you dad.
also yeah he still plays games, he works as a bookie for soccer games and plays CS:GO

>> No.645421

>>645317

you triggered your mom

you are now cis scum

>> No.645630

>>645141
I was a kid also, but I didn't ever see my father. But as kids sometimes we do stupid shit. You shouldnt feel to bad about it.

>> No.645968

OP here, also just to clarify ended up buying Tooie in about 2003, preowned. Still love it.

>> No.645976

>Ends with mum
Sneaky faggot, I would've stopped reading as soon as you said it.

>> No.645975

yeah i dont know that feel OP i got every system starting with nes the day it came out up until ps2 when i had to start buying them myself and i got pretty much every game i wanted.

you should be nicer to your mom though.

>> No.645984

I was fucking terrible at games and I was a sore loser, so I was pretty much "that guy" for most of my childhood.

>> No.646128

I had a shitty PC that was never good enough to run recent games, and the only console I had as a kid was Mega Drive that broke in a few days and never got repaired.

My gaming childhood is just starting.

>> No.646248

I didn't have a console as a kid, and only played some games on my fathers pcs. Mostly children games, but also some Dune2 and Aladdin. But I didn't really got the controls, and always just watched my father playing or working with his PC (he is a programmer).
I don't really care about games.

>> No.646253

I had a phat game boy but wanted a game boy color. My mom wouldn't buy me one.

So I broke the phat, by screwing with the pin connectors (literally, with a scerwdriver) in order to get a color.

it worked.

>> No.646592

>>646253

Did you regret it? I would have.

>> No.646628

>>646253
You are giant faggot

>> No.646636 [DELETED] 

>being seven in 2000

Jesus Christ, how horrifying. Sage beacause I'm being a dick.

>> No.646642

>All I wanted for Christmas was a Saturn. That's it.
>Parents get me a guitar that costs as much as a Saturn at the time
>Went back to bed and stayed in room all day
Yeah I was ungrateful and all but damn. I expressed zero interest in learning the guitar.
A few years later I DID and I was glad I had a good guitar to learn on but damn.

>> No.646652
File: 34 KB, 960x540, wow-what-a-totally-amazing-ex_clink_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>646636

>wow what a totally amazing excellent discovery

>> No.646669

>>646642
2000 was 13 years ago, making the OP about 20. No one cares that you're old. Go fuck yourself.

>> No.646685

>>646669
>not actually playing retro games when they were new

Jealousy

>> No.646693

>>646669
>27
>old

Okay?

>> No.646702
File: 169 KB, 550x594, affddc6bdafe669805d2d82156fc4acb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1995 or something
>weekend with bros
>Mortal Kombat 3 had just came out, ask my step-father to go rent it for me
>comes back home, they were all rented, he got Chrono Trigger instead
>at first I was mad as hell, all I wanted to do was fight with my friends
>what the hell, try CT anyway
>becomes my favorite game ever

>> No.646721

The closest I've been doing something like OP was back in 1999.

On Christmas Eve I went to the mall with dad and saw an N64 demo unit running Donkey Kong 64. After playing a little bit, I told my dad "this game is complete garbage, I can't imagine anyone having fun with it".

Later that evening when opening the presents, DK64 appeared in one of the boxes... "I-I'm sure it will be a lot of fun after all."

>> No.646735

>>646721
>not liking Donkey Kong 64
You must have been quite the little shit back then.

>> No.646742

>>646721
Exact same scenario I had with a Vectorman demo at Sears.
"God this game is so stupid!"
>open up Vectorman. Obvious they had bought for me long prior to my shit talk

To be fair I was just mad at losing and I ended up loving it.

>> No.646763

>>646735
DK64 is horrible. You are the only person I've ever seen defend it.

>> No.646782

>>646735
I wanted fast-paced DKC-style platforming, not a bad Banjo-Kazooie clone.

>> No.646814

I had 2 brothers, so usually, whatever my Brothers got became mine to use as well, so the video games we got were decent, and we were always grateful.

But my Dad is horrible about vidya, my mum told me this.

>Be somewhat young
>Have 2 brothers older than me
>They get a Mega Drive for Christmas about a year before the Saturn because my mum bought it for them
>Dad doesn't give a shit about vidya
>Next Christmas
>Mum buys a Saturn and puts it away for Christmas
>Christmas eve
>We're all asleep
>Dad has gone to the airport to say goodbye to relatives etc.
>She sets out everything during the night
>Can't find the Saturn
>Looks all over the house
>Dad comes home
>Mum asked him has he seen the saturn
>"Oh yeah, the kids already had one so I gave it to our relatives who were leaving at the airport"
>years later find out about this and what happened to the Saturn
>mum tells me the relatives took it apart, and couldn't put it back together again, and just threw it away.

She wasn't poor or anything, but the Saturn was pretty expensive at that time, and the thing is, this wasn't the first time, he did this again with a SNES, when my mum learnt about vidya, she wanted to buy us a console, and when she went to buy it, she asked at the shop which is better, the people on the checkout argued over which was better, and she just dished out £400+ to buy both. When Christmas came round, my mum set out both consoles, and then a few hours later my dad comes home, and takes the SNES saying that "1 is enough" and then gives it to the above relatives.

It's annoying as well, I really want a Saturn now, and they're expensive.

>> No.646818

I bitched about shit like this in my head
Never actually said a word.
Even as a brat I understood we didn't have much money, and you don't always get what you want.
On the otherhand due to more than two decades of practice I have trouble telling people I don't like things

>> No.646846

>Love fighting games growing up
>My older brother was the only other person I knew at the time who was mildly interested in them
>He'd beat me
>I'd throw the controller at him like a sore loser.

I kind of feel bad because I know what it's like to be on the other side of that controller now, but I'm not sorry cause he's a piece of shit.

>> No.646852

>>646763
>>646782
You guys just hate it because of the DK RAP admit it.

>> No.646882

Fuckin' cheaters man, it's unbelievable. Why bother marrying someone if you're going to ruin that person's life. Fuck this, I'm going to go play pokemon pinball.

>> No.646886

>Play Command & Conquer: Red Alert on a friends PC
>Don't have a PC capable of playing it
>A while later the PS1 port comes out
>Beg my dad to get it, he agree's
>"Sorry anon they didn't have the one you wanted but this one looked good so I got it instead" It's Tenchu
>Act like a sullen little shit for the day

When I actually played the C&C PS1 port it turned out my dad practically saved me

>> No.646918

>>645064
Your mom is the cheater a male never wins unless he can prove how shit the female is. She played Banjo that night herself.

>> No.646931
File: 5 KB, 240x176, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>646918

>> No.646932

>>646592
Yes I still regret it to this day

The irony is that I eventually sold the color but still own the broken phat. I should repair it.

>> No.647284

Oh man, OP, you just reminded me of how big a shit I am.

>Christmas (I think 2000)
>7 years old, sister almost 5
>we get a N64
>each gets a game with it
>I get Banjo-Tooie
>she gets A Bug's Life
>not understanding who Rare is (the only Rare game we had back then was DKC3), I get upset that she got the "cool game"

Now, A Bug's Life for the N64 is actually pretty decent, but Banjo-Tooie ended up becoming my favorite and I feel bad for getting upset

>> No.647307
File: 61 KB, 500x498, ToyStory2Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've always been really grateful when I got a new game. Even if I absolutely hated it (pic related), I'd just pretend I loved it because it made my parents happy.

The only time I got a little shitty was when my brother fucking played on my Super Mario RPG save and beat like half the game.

YEAH NO I DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO FIGHT THE PIRATES AND THE AXEM RANGERS ANYWAYS YEAH SURE EXOR IS FINE WHATEVER I MEAN THERE ARE LIKE 4 FUCKING SAVE SLOTS YOU COULD HAVE JUST MADE A COPY

>> No.647323

>>647307
...I think that's a standard reaction, don't beat yourself up over that.

Another little shit moment:

>get Oracle of Seasons
>still suck at vidya
>mom likes Zelda and has her own file
>stuck at the first boss because still suck
>mom's file has the dragon beat
>play her file, get all the way to the second dungeon
>mom doesn't play that game for years because of it

Oh, I'm such a shit.

>> No.647328

>>646852
The DK rap is my favorite part, I dislike the game because there's little to it other than uninspired grinding collectibles. I'd say it's about par with Tooie. Both games were so tedious I quit before beating them.

>> No.647335

>>646814
Your dad sounds like an ass

>> No.647341

>>646814
>I really want a Saturn now, and they're expensive.
I got mine for $50, shipping included.
Had Daytona USA and Clockwork Knight

>> No.647342

>Christmas
>Open a present
>It's a PS2 game
>Get angry because I only have a PS1, think my mom is an idiot for buying a PS2 game
>Next present I open is a PS2

>> No.647349

>>646814
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-saturn-console-plus-games-/161022894448?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item257db66170

>> No.647351

>>647307

That shit's justified, yo.

I had the same FFL file for years. Never left the first floor because I didn't know what the fuck I was doing but I loved wandering around and shit. A friend asked to borrow the game, and I told him it was fine, but only to play my file so he didn't accidently save over it.

He made a new file and saved.

I beat him so hard he moved to Oregon.

>> No.647365

>Be 7
>Get Link to the Past from my aunt for my birthday
>Only thing I know about Zelda is the shitty cartoon series. I thought this was a game based on the cartoon. Yes I know how retarded that was.
>Play the game I actually asked for (Yoshi's Island) instead

>2 months later, give Link to the Past a go because I've finished everything else
>Blows my mind
>Zelda is now my fave game series

>> No.647379

>>645317

....i'm just impressed that you knew what emulation was at 10 years old

>> No.647386

>>647379
I had an NES emulator when I was 10. A friend of the family came over and downloaded Nesticle and Mega Man 1-6 for me.

The difference between me and that Anon is that I've been good from the moment I played it

>> No.647393

>>646735
Did you see the dk64 demo? It is literally just the first part of some bossfight, I forgot which but it sucked.

>> No.647410

I begged until I got my mother to buy me a GBC. She eventually did, but we couldnt afford games. I ended up getting oracle of seasons and nothing else and acted like a little shit over it. I still have that gbc with oracles of seasons as my only game for it.

>> No.647423

>>646763
I couldn't get into it when I played it as an adult, but back then that game seemed huge and amazing, especially if you loved the DKC games.

>> No.647454

>be 7
>want Banjo-Kazooie
>mom says no
>forget about it

>be 10
>want Banjo-Tooie
>mom says no
>forget about it

>be 11
>get an Xbox at launch
>completely miss out on clearance-priced N64 games during the system's phasing out because I felt I had to be in with the in-crowd by focusing on getting NEW and EXCITING games

I still haven't played either of the Banjo-Kazooie games.

>> No.647483

>mom runs a daycare in our house
>pretty sure parents would buy me games all the time so everyone would be entertained
>kids became some of my best friends so nothing got broken or stolen

I never even fully realized it until now.

>> No.647703

one time it was Christmas and I unwrapped a stack of about 15 ps1 games but I didn't recognize any of them and told my dad to stop with the quantity over quality crap

>> No.647731

>bitching and complaining about getting the wrong game on christmas

Guess how many games I've got since I was 1 years old

>> No.647792
File: 2.56 MB, 167x190, 1338159380176.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ask for a Gamecube when I was 13
>Mum and StepDad tell me it costs too much and I won't be able to have it for Christmas
>Take it like a champ, just another thing in life I can't have because it "costs too much"
>Look back on it now
>They spent hundreds a week on booze, cigarettes and nights out
>Couldn't stop for 1 week to allow me to have the best Xmas in my life.
>Had to deal with the crushing emotions whilst watching all my friends and family get the presents they wanted because their parents were willing to sacrifice things for their children

Fuck parents.

>> No.647868
File: 45 KB, 512x448, Donkey_Kong_Land_2_001_%28US-NTSC%29[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My granddad once got me Donkey Kong Land 2 instead of DKC2 by accident. I didn't even own a Game Boy so my mom got me a Super Game Boy to play it on, which was pretty neat. I didn't actually own a physical cart of DKC2 until three years ago when I got it CIB from eBay. Playing it on the big screen for the first time in ages felt great.

>> No.647879

I was definitely a spoiled shit when I was a kid.
I still feel bad about some of the stuff I said and did.

>> No.647880
File: 103 KB, 640x438, 196694_41748_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>647454
You should just get them CIB from eBay or something. That's what I did >>647868

Sometimes it's fun to get that one toy/game you always wanted as a kid but never got. I still don't have a Dreamcast or a Game Gear, but not sure if I'm really that interested in them anymore.

>> No.647893

>>647792
Same childhood here. The bitterness sustains me, like black coffee. Probably explains why my office is almost literally floor to ceiling with video games, movies, toys, music, guns, cartoons, anime, and books.

Anyway, when I DID get presents, it was always money, and not much. My brother and I had to pool our resources to get anything, which is how we got a Super NES and later, a Playstation. Renting games was all we could manage, if that.

>> No.647931

>>647792
>>647893

>experience this childhood
>overcompensate for it in teens/early 20s
>hit 25
>end up spending all my money on booze, cigarettes, and nights out

it all comes full circle