[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 512x639, 1532403453354.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6424451 No.6424451 [Reply] [Original]

When I was a little kid, I hardly ever saw past the first couple stages in any game. I would usually pop in some game, play around until I got a game over (which was frequent because I didn't take the time to practice single games enough) or got bored or didn't know what to do then pop it out, pop a different one in, and repeat this process until I was done playing. I'm curious if anyone else gamed in this retarded no attention span way when they were younger? I always hear about people beating games as a young kid, and to me the idea was always like some pipe dream, and I didn't start beating games until I was an older teen. The exceptions to the rule were pretty much Super Mario Bros Deluxe and 1st gen Pokemon, probably because they were easy/addictive enough and got taken with me everywhere.

>> No.6424465

fuck off retard

>> No.6424473

>>6424451
I kinda did this, but only because I was pretty bad at games AND a total quitter. If my big brothers couldn't beat a game, I assumed it would be impossible for me. Only started seriously finishing stuff in my teens.

>> No.6424476

>>6424451
I was probably just as much of an ADHD-addled retard but we didn't have loads of games at a time.

>> No.6424540

Same but I did beat the games that I played the most (SMW, YI, SM64, OOT, Harvest Moon 64) and some shorter games like Yoshi's Story. I got progressively better as I got older too, but it didn't take until high school or anything. I beat a bunch of games in middle school. I was still retarded though, just in different ways. Now I still hop between games and end up having to start over if I'm not careful. I try to restrict myself to only 2-3 games at a time and to pick different genres so I don't burn out. I beat 3 games in the past month and a half which is pretty good. Making good progress on my current game too.

>> No.6424561

>>6424451
>yesterday i emulated and switched games every time i died which was quickly because im a little kid and can't git gud

>> No.6424569 [DELETED] 

>>6424561
>everybody is a zoomer! i am the only adult here who REMEMBERS actually owning PHYSICAL media! i am surrounded by ZOOOOOMERRRRRRRRS I'M THE SOLE SPECIAL ADULT ON 4CHAN

Shut the fuck up you shizophrenic trainable zilch, I'm 35 years old.

>> No.6425185

>>6424451
That was how we played Atari 2600 games

>> No.6425202

>>6424451
i did the same thing, to this day i've beaten only a very small handful of games
even the rare times i'm really into a game, often i'm distracted by some other thing, forget about it for a month, then when i remember it again, i've forgotten where i was, what i was doing, and probably also how to play it, so i'll either drop it, or start from the beginning (then repeat until i drop it)

>> No.6425210

>>6424451
My parents bought me games twice a year - birthdays and Christmas. Outside of weekly weekend rentals from blockbuster, you better believe I played the shit that I had.

>> No.6425212

>>6424451
Yes and no. I remember beating super Mario bros when my brother and sister had a competition, when I was 5 or 6. Then again i could never make it past marble garden zone in sonic or the chainsaw hedgemaze in zamn. It was hit and miss for me.

>> No.6425216

>>6424476
>>6425210
you write as if you spent your spare time only playing video games
i have a similar problem to op, and it wasn't because i had too many games (early on), it's not that i was not playing a game because i was playing another game, i did other things besides playing games

>> No.6425217

>>6424451
>>6425202
I’ve done this my entire life and always felt like a loser quitter, I guess I’m not alone.
I didn’t beat my first game until my 20s, except for Mario Kart 64 which still took me 10 years to do.

>> No.6425226

>>6425217
one of my first playstation games was ff8, loved it
... still haven't beaten it
at this point i don't even know where i got up to, pretty far in though
i know a bit more about the game now, and have since realised i probably fucked myself by levelling up (which apparently only really makes the game harder, since it scales up the enemies while not mattering much for yourself)

"i'll get around to it"
yea, sure.

>> No.6425235

>>6425226
Just keep squall dead in battle for a while.

>> No.6425250

>>6425235
i don't know what that would do
besides, i'll accepted i'm never going to find the time to play it through
i rarely play games at all now, my.. 'condition' is far worse now that there's so much choice available to me, i can pick out basically any game ever and have it downloaded and running on my computer in a matter of minutes or hours, how does a person with ADD possibly be trusted with this?
only games i've beaten in the last probably 6 years were nier automata (that ass certainly kept my attention), and a hat in time (love platformers and cute stuff)

>> No.6425253

>>6425250
Take your meds then.

>> No.6425256

>>6425253
i haven't taken ritalin since i was 10 years old

>> No.6425275

>>6424451
>when they were younger
you're the same retard now as you always were, just lucky that games cater to all kinds of mentally impaired people like you

>> No.6425280
File: 421 KB, 385x698, lilith meh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6424451
Why do so many people go online to brag about what idiots they were. Nobody would have ever known. You could have gone your whole life without sharing this information to anyone. No I have to call you a retard. You retard.

>> No.6425286

>>6425256
Drink a bang energy drink or do some cocaine

>> No.6425287

>>6425210
I can also relate to this. The games I had I actually beat numerous times.

>> No.6425317

>>6424451
My backlog is over 1000 help

>> No.6425361

>>6424451
You're not alone mate. I was a stupid kid who played games exactly the same way, diagnosed ADHD-PI as an adult. I didn't really play games with any kind of objective in mind, I would just run around doing stupid shit until I got bored and switched to another game. It took me like 8 years to beat Super Mario 64, running and jumping and sliding was too fun and distracting to my kid ADHD brain (the physics are still GOAT). That was the one game I could actually play for 8 hour sittings without getting bored. When I read discussions here about people's experiences sharing tips to beat a game with other kids at school or whatever, it feels alien to me, because I didn't learn to beat games until I was maybe like 10 or 11. I always just treated them like "digital playgrounds". Looking back, it's kind of amazing to me that I could be so easily distracted and transfixed this way, although it's bittersweet because I feel like I "missed out" somehow by not knowing to beat games when I was young. I'm a real stickler for beating games now, unless I absolutely hate a game I will see it through to the end no matter what.

>> No.6425386

>Be me
>7 years old
>Loading games from C64 tapes
>Don't even speak English but still manage to get quite far in the games

>years later
>7 year old nephew comes over
>wants to play games with me
>put sonic 1 in the ol' Mega Drive
>tell him i'll get something to drink
>come back and ask him how he's doing
>He says he's already at level 3
>Notice he never pressed start and is looking at the demo screen while "playing"

>> No.6425393

>>6425386
cool story, but i don't see how it relates to the topic

>> No.6425405

>>6424473
This was me as a kid as well. Not ADHD, just a sore loser and a quitter. I actually had a Super Nintendo but barely played it because I kept dying on all the games. I ended up playing Sim City 2000 and Civilization II on my parents' beige Power Mac. Strangely, I didn't quit when the going got tough in both those games, and they were both hard in their own right. I probably felt more invested and thus was less likely to quit. I also think the slower pace and the long-term focus were probably more suited to the way I thought as a kid.

I eventually became interested in the SNES again when I was in middle school, which turned out to be exactly the right time to collect. Cart prices were absolutely dirt cheap around 2005, to the point where my weekly $30 paper route salary could easily buy 5 games, and I could get up to a dozen games if I went to the right places. I beat my first console game (Yoshi's Island) in the summer between Grade 8 and Grade 9, and it felt so good to beat Baby Bowser. Sure, it took me almost 15 years to get around to securing a perfect score on every level, but I still technically BEAT the game that summer

>> No.6425507

>>6425393

kids got dumber.

>> No.6425538

>>6425507
Any 7 year old who doesn’t realize they’re just watching a demo and not actually playing should probably be in a special ed program.

>> No.6425548

>>6425250
>mentally ill
>love cute stuff
maybe it's time to grow up and take control of your problems

>> No.6425746

>>6424561
who are you quoting

>> No.6425751

>>6425548
I'm not a controller.

>> No.6425793

>>6425751

You are lying.

>> No.6425990

kinda surprised by the posts here saying they never beat any games at all until late teens or early 20s. makes me feel a little better about how rarely i'd actually beat games as a kid, since i did clear at least a few. i wasn't the type that'd turn the game off and do something else at the first game over, but the vast majority of the time i'd just eventually get completely stuck in a game either due to lack of ability or confusion on how to make progress. at that point i'd just use the game as a sandbox if it was the type of game that allowed it. feels odd that most childhood favorites that i logged dozens of hours into are games i've never actually completed.

>> No.6426616

>>6425548
i'm trying to
finding time to play video games is the least of my worries right now

>> No.6426626

>>6425990
your post reminds me how i bought GTA: San Andreas for $109 when it was brand new, and played the shit out of it for years
... but mostly as a sandbox, i don't know how far in the story i got, but probably not far
don't regret that one though, shit was plenty of fun regardless

>> No.6426657

>>6425990
I was sort of the same. I got stuck a lot in certain games as a kid. After I started using the internet, around 2003 or so, I eventually stumbled across playthrough guides or forums where people talked about beating them, and that's how I eventually got through most of my childhood games.

>> No.6426858
File: 42 KB, 640x427, 1535701118758.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I mostly rented games, so since I only had 1 or 2 games to play every week or so I inevitably beat a large percentage of them. I am somehow still bad at videogames despite plowing through what must have been hundreds of them as a kid. To be fair I lost interest in most games as soon as I beat them, so I guess I never really practiced to get good as much as I just tried to get to the end as soon as possible.

>> No.6426964

>>6425746
A retarded zoomer, (You)

>> No.6426995

>>6425317
lmao same anon

>> No.6427847

>>6426964
Anusoomer

>> No.6428439

>>6426858
for me, beating a game was never the reason to play them
i liked collecting things, finding secrets, and just trying to do tricky things
this resulted in a lot of games where i know the first 50% of it inside out, and haven't seen the other 50% at all

>> No.6428457

>>6425990
>mfw beating E.T. when I was 5
>mfw max score in Enduro
Feels good

>> No.6428482

>>6427847
My bad. That turbo retarded zoomer.

>> No.6428750

>>6425990
When I was a kid I was a content-tourist. Rented and borrowed games and used cheat codes or Game Genie to get to the ending. I didn't think of beating arcade-style games under the standard rules as something normal people actually did. (I only beat games with save functions like Zelda and turn-based games like Phantasy Star.)
I didn't beat my first arcade-style game without cheating until I was 18 or so. (was Zillion 2: The Tri-Formation)

>> No.6428764

>>6424451
same when i was really little but it wasn't an attention thing, i was just a dumb 4 year old who sucked at games and couldn't read so i could never figure out how to save or load so i'd always be stuck around the beginning levels no matter how much i tried

>> No.6429405

>>6425361
>Looking back, it's kind of amazing to me that I could be so easily distracted and transfixed this way,

I have that feeling about how I used to be able to enjoy grinding in JRPGs. Like I'd just load up the saved game in Dragon Warrior 2, step outside the town and fight monsters for 25 minutes, go back to town to confirm that I was 80% of the way to buying the good armor instead of 20% of the way there, and then save and quit, feeling satisfied that I'd had a good play session. What could possibly be more boring than that? But I liked it. Kids have weird brains.

You missed out on something yeah, but I figure that everybody has huge, stupid blind spots like that. Personally I'm mildly bothered that as a kid I had no conscious awareness of the possibility that spoilers could be harmful, so I'd use whatever guides from Nintendo Power etc. I had available and cheat my way past all kinds of challenges without even realizing that wasn't the "main" way in which to play the game. Today I'm highly conscious of spoilers and highly interested in avoiding them. AND YET the most intense pleasure I ever got out of the fun of video games came during those childhood experiences. So what am I protecting myself from? It's all just stupid nonsense I guess. You get what experiences you get, and that has to be good enough.

>> No.6430947

>>6429405
>as a kid I had no conscious awareness of the possibility that spoilers could be harmful
i was/am the opposite, i loathe looking things up, i go out of my way to avoid the possibility of spoilers/hints in games i'm playing or wanting to play
because it's satisfying to figure something out, you feel accomplished when you finally get past that part you got stuck on