[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 293 KB, 745x972, tumblr_n4jxr5TrdG1qii1jwo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6412656 No.6412656 [Reply] [Original]

Discuss Castlevania

While it was previously established that CV was inspired by Lupin III: Cagliostro's Castle, I feel that the main inspired for CV was in fact Vampire Hunter D.

First of all, Vampire Hunter D came out in 1984 and was an influencial anime. The first CV came out right during the timespan of its influence.

>> No.6412658
File: 483 KB, 762x926, Castlevania_VHD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit A:

Fighting Vampires with shorts and whips.

There is also the fact that VHD isn't just about vampires, but about monsters in general, Werewolves etc

>> No.6412662
File: 354 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h04m44s337.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit B: The Jaguar.

Didn't it strike you as odd that you fight a jaguar in CV1? A jaguar in between zombies, mummies and knights? This is the reason why. Even the devs knew it's weird as Dracula X replaced it by a SKELETON jaguar.
VHD had a jaguar so this is why.

>> No.6412663
File: 108 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h05m43s885.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit C:

After an initial romp through the castle, fall down a hole and end up in sewers.

Then, fight Medusa. Because yes, VHD had Medusa, so did CV, and, unlike Carmilla, which both franchises have a derivate of, it's not like Medusa culturally is linked to Dracula in any way.

>> No.6412665
File: 345 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h41m41s367.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit D:

Bored Dracula sitting on his throne.

>> No.6412669
File: 459 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h01m58s014.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit E:

D, which is a half vampire, half human, the son of Dracula and a human woman. Yes, Alucard existed since the early 40's in movie, but was he ever THAT close to this description?

And what does D/Alucard do? After a fast ride on his horse, he does a long jump through the half-closed bridge to enter the castle and fight Dracula. Just like Alucard in SotN.

>> No.6412671
File: 451 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h53m16s902.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exhibit F: Upon victory, watch the castle fall apart, you see the backs of the characters.

I know this is a trope (Mega Man etc), but was IT a video game trope before CV1?

>> No.6412683
File: 438 KB, 720x546, vlcsnap-2020-05-08-22h02m20s284.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is more in common of course. Like the mechanized zombie, like CV's Frankenstein monster; or the Golem.

>> No.6412686

>>6412665
>>6412669
>Dracula

My bad, the Vampire villain in VHD is *not* Dracula. My point was it looks like a lot like CV's Dracula, to the point I get confused.

>> No.6412706
File: 181 KB, 640x640, 1571594514270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I mean no shit, why is this surprising to you and you have to have "proof" or something? Holy shit you mean Japanese guys living in Japan that make video games about vampires and Dracula watch anime about vampires too???
Next thing you'll tell me is that Super Mario Bros. 2 is AKCSHUALLY Doki Doki Panic in Japan, holy shit!!!

>> No.6412742

>>6412706
That's nothing. Did you know that the entire Castlevania series is actually Akumajou in Japan?

>> No.6412798

>"I asked him then, “Why do the Belmonts fight with whips?” He replied, “It matched the world of the game I wanted to create, and as far as weapons go, whips are great at repelling enemies. Also… because I love Raiders of the Lost Ark! (laughs)” He told me a lot of the developers at Konami back then were really into Western movies, too."

http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/

>> No.6412810

>>6412798
Yeah, and Iga claims that while SotN was inspired by VHD, the first game wasn't.

Considering the similarties I think all of that is bullshit.

Not to mention, they can't really admit such heavy inspiration in fear of being sued.

There are other cases of devs claiming "we were not inspired by this", despite being the contrary being very obvious.

For instance, Mikami claiming Resident Evil was not inspired by Alone In the Dark.
He came back on his words DECADES after the fact, when no longer working for Capcom.

>> No.6412825

>>6412798
Besides, because A is true does not mean that B isn't. But maybe that wasn't your point exactly.

>> No.6412840

>>6412658
People give Simon's Quest's Dracula a lot of grief for having the skull face, but I think it works pretty well for the character and him being resurrected from dismembered body parts. If it ever gets a remake, that's definitely something they should keep intact.

>> No.6412909

>>6412810
This is a matter of saving face, not being sued. CV far and away passes the transformative requirement. If anyone could be sued it would be the Netflix series since it goes back to the animated medium.

>> No.6412913

>a game can have multiple influences
Wow OP who is smarter you or me?

>> No.6412990
File: 96 KB, 220x220, vampire hunter d game.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is the Vampire Hunter D game on Playstation any good? I realize it's based around the sequel movie and has tank controls.

>> No.6413024

>>6412990
I like it. It's kinda like Onimusha before its time.

One thing you have to realize in order to have fun is that unlike a traditional action game where you'd want to go hit enemies ASAP, in this game for most enemies, you want to wait for them to attack, dodge that, then attack.

Then there is managing the 3 different bars, hp, mp, and blood

>> No.6413046
File: 59 KB, 578x511, Castlevaniax68.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lately I can't stop playing Dracula X and Bloodlines. They'my favourite ones.

DX I did a no death playthrough recently, but I went with the bad ending route (no Death fight); and I sticked to the Axe as much as I could since it's so damn useful in this game.

Bloodlines I'm trying to record a "perfect" playthrough with Lecarde, best I got so far was getting hit 5 times in the entire game.

X68K version is also really great. Found a secret place in it last time I played.
Also reminder that if you've only played the Chronicles version, even in the "original" mode, you've played a shitty gimped version of the game.

>> No.6413072

I don't think anyone would argue that Castlevania isn't a derivative work of past entertainment.

>> No.6413079

>>6413046
>Also reminder that if you've only played the Chronicles version, even in the "original" mode, you've played a shitty gimped version of the game.
What's the difference?

>> No.6413106

>>6413072
Indeed, noone is arguing that.

>> No.6413120
File: 158 KB, 1152x768, 202005021204480263.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413079

>cropped screen
The top of the screen is cropped in the PS1 version. This leads to enemies loading later than they should during vertical scrolling sections, sometimes making the game easier, sometimes harder; or making it almost impossible to see a certain gear falling on your head.

>fucked hit detection for the whip
The whip has bigger hit detection on the PS1 version especially on the Y-axis, making the game a LOT easier than it should be. Plenty of situations where you can hit stuff that you shouldn't be able to hit, for instance pic related would be a hit on PS1.

>Enemy AI differences
Some enemies and bosses don't have faithful AI; like the one made out of shattered glass which is more scared and less likely to attack; or the Fake Belmont boss, in the PS1 version you can just stand there crouching spamming the whip against him, try that in the OG version and you'll get ass raped.

>Timing differences
There are some, most notably the clock being faster leading to the level with Death at the end almost impossible to complete on the PS1 version because time depletes faster than it should.

>> No.6413123

>>6413120
>the level with Death at the end almost impossible to complete on the PS1 version because time depletes faster than it should.

I mean almost impossible to complete in one go, unless you die and use a checkpoint on the way. I mean it's possible, but you have to hurry and you'll have just enough time, meanwhile you'd have at least 100+ seconds in the OG version doing the same thing.

>> No.6413134

>>6413120
God damn it, the PS1 version is hard enough as it is, I can't beat the she-wolf boss

>> No.6413137

>>6413134
Jump whip above the rocks she throws. The axe is almost useful.

if all else fails, grind medusa heads until they drop the green healing herb.

It is not an easy boss to learn, but fake belmont is even harder in the og version

>> No.6413392
File: 7 KB, 256x232, Castlevania (USA) (Rev A)-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6413446
File: 81 KB, 564x400, 01x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6412656
The only place where the beastairy matters when discussing inspiration is the first game. And while I hate being that guy, I'll just drop a few things.
Exhibit A:
neat but it's flawed. That Simon you used is from Kojima's redesign. Boxart (front and back) of Simon has him wearing a simple tunic with a waistguard. He gets pants in CVII and Ralph has a conveinent red smudge on his loincloth.

Exhibit B:
That's a Black Panther. Every enemy in Castlevania 1 was influenced by older movies, mostly horror movies and the black panther is no different. Itself likely being influenced from the 1957 mexican horror film La Pantera Negra

Exhibit C:
Medusa shows up for the same reason the fishmen do. Tons of creatures are influenced from hammer horror films and the medusa itself is no difference. You can use either the decapitation from Clash of Titans or The Gorgon.
Exhibit D:
Dracula on throne wasn't a thing until Rondo. And his power stance is wildly different.

Exhibit E: SotN was inspired by VHD and IGA himself admitted as much. CV3 Alucard was very clearly not. And given the original source material he's not a vampire at all and only became what he was when his pops sold his soul to the devil.
http://castlevania.jp/a_main/10/index.html

Exhibit F:
Off the mark from the original intent.
http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/
In CV1 the only thing that crumbles is the clocktower. According to the director, the clocktower is a physical world embodiment of Dracula's heart. It collapses as he dies but the rest of the castle exists because he, and the evil he brings isn't dead forever.

Now. As the series got more and more into the metroidvania territory they are clearly more and more inspired by VHD. But originally? That's all horror films. Each creature has a horror film that it and it's signature attach was ripped right out of.

>> No.6413456

>>6412656
>While it was previously established that CV was inspired by Lupin III: Cagliostro's Castle, I feel that the main inspired for CV was in fact Vampire Hunter D.
What? That's fucking retarded. Do you seriously believe that nonsense?
CV1 is a spoof of Hammer and Unviersal movies. That's where it borrows its visuals. backgrounds are supposed to evoke Hammer sets, not Miyazaki films. Are you legit retarded?
WHAT? Belmonts inspired by D? Are you legit fucking dumb?

>> No.6413535

>>6413446
There are so many horror movies you could literally draw a connection between many of them with any element from the game.
But that doesn't mean it's proof that the game was inspired by thus, this for instance
>Itself likely being influenced from the 1957 mexican horror film La Pantera Negra

is REALLY stretching it.
Next thing I know you're going to find some Norwegian horror movie from the 40's where a guy falls down a manhole and you're going to tell me that's where they got the idea for having the protagonist fall down into the sewers after an initial romp through the castle; while both things are identical in VHD and CV.

Meanwhile, I'm showing a Japanese movie about fighting Vampires and other monsters in his castle, that came out 2 years before the game, and which was a famous and influential animated movie there, and you're telling me all the connections are pure coincidence.

If anything, VHD being fresh in the Japanese cultural mind at the time, it's most likely one of the first things in people's minds when thinking about "Vampires". Definitely more so than a 40 years old Mexican movie.

>neat but it's flawed.

Except your two pictures show the same thing: fighting vampires with a whip and shorts.

>Dracula on throne wasn't a thing until Rondo. And his power stance is wildly different.

I know it wasn't a thing before Rondo. The point was, the influence of VHD on the first game but also on the series as a whole, as the influence grew exponentially with time, to the point they finally had to admit it, and to the point both worlds collided as a CV artist drew some VHD

>> No.6413564

>>6413535
>is REALLY stretching it.
It's not. That's quite literally the inspiration of the game and early series in general. Old films.
Did you not stop to think "hey why does this game have a literal film reel"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdwYlvCDXA

Where do fish men offically named Fishmen come from?
1979 Island of the Fishmen
Why did they use that depiction of Igor?
Why is Frankenstein based on universal pictures Frankenstein?
>Being more fresh
Literally doesn't matter.
Frankenstein's monster, right down to the bolts from his neck comes from a 1931 film. A film 20 years senior to the one you're wanting to "that doesn't count"
Secondly just because you're too young to remember doesn't mean I am, anon.

VHD had nothing to do with the 1st or 3rd games. And only a case can be made for the 2nd game.

>there are so many
Sure. There aren't however so many films in which the likeness of the creature is a 1 to 1 translation. Those are quite specific.

>> No.6413572

>>6413456
Are you trolling?

>> No.6413575

>>6413535
>>6413446
Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying CV wasn't inspired by old horror movies either.
In fact, VHD also was, which is where the lines can be blurry; but the point is was inspired by VHD more so than non-Japs realized, even CV1.

>>6413564
>VHD had nothing to do with the 1st or 3rd games. And only a case can be made for the 2nd game.

I realized my showcase can be a little confusing considered I mixed all the games together; but let's forget about the admitted influence in SotN and for a minute and focus on the links between VHD and CV1, and you still get

>fighting vampires with whips and in shorts
>it's about fighting a Vampire in and around his castle but you still get all kind of other monsters, something few vampire stories as a whole would do
>including a Jaguar/Panther and Medusa, both having little to do with vampire lore
>after an initial romp through the castle the protagonist falls down a long fall to a sewer like area and has to fight his way back up
>the end scene with the castle collapsing

Also saying "only the clock tower collapses in CV" is plain not true.

>> No.6413590

>>6413572
Lupin is a great movie, but nothing in it is visually original. Do you think Miyazaki invented flying buttresses or crosses, you fucking nutter? Meanwhile, CV directly and explicitly references Universal and Hammer numerous fucking times.
Do you legitimately think that Miyazaki invented or discovered European fuckign architecture, you stupid fucking child?

>> No.6413591

>>6413564
>Did you not stop to think "hey why does this game have a literal film reel"

Like I just said, that's pretty obvious. Everyone knows that.

Your entire argument however is
>it can NOT have been inspired by Y because it's proven it was inspired by X

My point is it was inspired by both , just as much. It's definitely possible to have been inspired by several things you know, but you're telling that's impossible; even considering that A) they later admitted that inspiration in the sequels and B) VHD was closer to them both culturally and in time

>> No.6413592

>>6413590
You didn't answer my question.

>> No.6413596
File: 107 KB, 1080x1303, 1gT78QX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6412810
There is no inspiration at all. You are legitimately insane. All of this pre-existed the Lupin movie by literally centuries. 20th century movies were chock-full of these castles. You are insane to even think that anything in the thread above has any fucking legitimacy.

>> No.6413602
File: 15 KB, 148x243, simon1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413575
>Also saying "only the clock tower collapses in CV" is plain not true.
https://youtu.be/Tq8qOl9xgvo?t=120
>That’s why, in the ending of Castlevania, the clock tower collapses, but the rest of the castle remains—Akamatsu said he intended that as a hint towards a sequel.

>whips and shorts
again official artwork simon is a man in a tunic.
>with vampire lore
Half-Fishmen have little to do with vampire lore too.
Where does Frankensteins monster and Igor come in?
How about Birds carrying fleman?
Did you remember the Ax Armor? How about the Bone Pillar?
>pitfall
Really, anon?

>>6413591
>My point is it was inspired by both
Yes and mine is a dismantlement of that notion. Nothing supports it. Interviews don't support it either.
>why does he use a whip
Director liked indiana jones
>Where did these monsters come from
Horror movies ranging from 1930s to the games creation

I get that you like Vampire Hunter D. I'm a bit of a fan myself. I've read and own every translated novel except 27 and 28. But drawing parallels like these is grasping at straws when none exist.

>> No.6413605

>>6413592
I am not trolling. I am appalled that visuals that can be traced back to Charlie fucking Chaplin in movies alone, and centuries back in visual arts, are linked directly to a Miyazaki film in your fucking mind. You are wrong on all counts and you have no clue to what insane degree this thread is crazy.

>> No.6413618

Discuss Castlevania. Ok here goes...
First one was fun but also a bit shitty. Gameplay though enjoyable often come down to abusing the semi borked system for cheap advantage. Be it the enemy or the player like a double ended dildo this game only works when both parties are getting fucked.
2...wasted potential: the game
3 the on where they mostly got it right. Still falls back occasionally the flaws of the first one but it's deserves it's classic status.
SNES Castlevania. Both extremely fun and extremely fucking overrated at the same time. Sprites too big, whip too OP but at least it wasn't a cheap ass glitch fest anymore.

>> No.6413619
File: 159 KB, 1219x1003, C9t6RrCV0AAxnAS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WHY OP IS A FUCKING IDIOT: PART 1

>> No.6413621
File: 60 KB, 600x429, 583b735e37943a423a00c42153d87975.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WHY OP IS AN ABSOLUTE LAUGHABLE FUCKING IDIOT

PART 2

>> No.6413629

Any recommended chaplinvania ludos?

>> No.6413631

>>6413605
>>6413619
>>6413621

You're the one missing the point entirely. Nobody's saying Miyazaki created all the stuff in the OP picture out of nowhere.
The way culture works, it evolves and everything is mutually inspired by each others.

What your thought process is doing however, is going from point a "C" to point "H" while claiming nothing in between matters; and while also claiming "C" is "A".
And so, for you, "H" can only be inspired by "C"; and can not be inspired by D,E,F, and G.

>> No.6413632

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6YasIkNH00
BELA LUGOSI
BORIS KARLOFF
BRAM STOKER
TERENCE FISHER
ETC
ETC
ETC
ETC
Are all famous Hammer and Universal actors and directors.
That's why the first game has a film reel background on its title screen. It's emulating a classic horor film. not a Miyazaki fucking anime, you fucking dipshit.
How fucking retarded are you, OP? Who the fuck doesn't know any of this int he year fucking 2020?
Holy fuck, I AM MAD.

>> No.6413634

I dunno man, those Lupin screenshots look a lot closer than yours.

>> No.6413635

>>6413618
Continued...
TurboGrafx Castlevania. Why the fuck did this exist?
Genesis Castlevania. Holy shit we've basically reached perfection here. Smaller sprites meant the best aspects of NES games without the cheap ass glitchy bullshit gameplay. Best in the series before IGA took over.

>> No.6413640

>>6413631
CV1 directly and explicitly broadcasts its fucking inspirations. It fucking tells you what it's a fucking spoof of, you idiot. The first games credits sequence lists all the fucking actors and directors the game was inspired by. What fucking miyazaki when the game looks like a Terence Fisher movie and credits say that Trans Fisher is the director and Vram Stoker is the screenwriter and "Belo Lugosi" starred in it, you fucking LITERAL RETARD OH MY GOD I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW

>> No.6413648

>things can only have one inspiration
>thing can't inspire other thing if it was in turn inspired by previous thing

>> No.6413650

>>6413392
Good times

>> No.6413652

>>6413631
I get what you're saying but since we're using letter parallels
A was inspired by C
B was inspired by C
This does not mean A was inspired by B.
Don't be obstinate.

>> No.6413653

>>6413631
P.S: your continued use of insults only comforts the idea that you're insecure with that thought process (throwing away decades of inspiration because an older one exists). You're so stuck up about it being challenged, it enrages you to that point.

>> No.6413654
File: 100 KB, 1080x984, 1458064285427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>A game about frankenstein monsters and draculas says Dracula was played by "Christopher Bee", Death by "Belo Lugosi" and Frankenstein by "Boris Karloffice"
>what was it inspired by? LUPIN THE THIIIIIIRD
Do you comprehend how infinitely retarded you are?
It says "Trans Fisher" directed it. Terence Fisher is the guy who directed three Dracula and three Frankenstein movies for Hammer.
here's cosplayer butt so that everyone would see how stupid you are, OP.

>> No.6413657

>>6413654
Relevant to my interests. Shame about OP though.

>> No.6413658

>>6413635
Continued again...IGAvanias
Symphony. Bretty good. Lots of special moves, lots of weapons and items to vary gameplay and a shitton to explore. Music could be a little meh at times but at least sounded good.
GBA titles.
Circle of moon not made by IGA. Was pretty bland but a decent distraction. Card system fucking blew. Still neat game.
Harmony. Looked good and had interesting mechanics. Sound blew and screen was washed out to compensate for non backlit GBA screens. Otherwise it's fucking solid.
Aria. Same as above but with the sound and display worked out. Really getting away from horror vibes of the series though.

>> No.6413659

>>6413654
Bela Lugosi didn't even play Death, so it's obvious the creators didn't watch his movies. You're arguing against your own point.

>> No.6413664

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Vampire_Hunter_D

>> No.6413665
File: 180 KB, 692x2000, Dracula 1 - Horror of Dracula (1958) - MONTAGE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413659
Yes, it's a fucking Universal reference. Because the game is full of classic Universal monster spoofs. They're all bosses in it, see? It's a game where you kill Universal monsters, and it even has a film reel in the beginning and movie credits at the end namedropping all of these Universal and hammer actors.

>> No.6413670

>>6413658
And finally the DSvanias.
Dawn was good but seemed a bit half-assed and didn't have quite the Castlevania feel. It's a good if not great game but somehow very bland and unmemorable compared to the rest.
Portrait. This one set things quite a bit right with the feel and mood. Big world lots of extra content and plenty to do. Possibly the best.
Never played the other DD game and the 3d games aren't Castlevania as far as I'm concerned. Heard the PS2 games were alright.

>> No.6413672

>>6413670
I thought the same thing about DoS at first; but after replaying it I started to enjoy it more. I think it takes more time to get into it.

>> No.6413678

>>6413659
Bela Lugosi played Dracula ya dense fuck.

>> No.6413686

>>6413672
I played the shit out of it it's just the music and atmosphere missed a bit for me. It's like some overlong speed metal symphony in that it's technically magnificent but that doesn't always mean pleasing to the ear.

>> No.6413691
File: 34 KB, 640x479, castlevania_judgement_007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413658
>>6413670
Fuck off with your putrid non-opinion.

SotN: good aesthetics, shit gameplay.
CotM: good challenge curve, but failed the exploration aspect hardcore; reexploring with new abilities nets nonsensical non-rewards. Music is good.
HoD: good aesthetics, music emulating German expressionist movies so not everyone could appreciate it. God-awful non-gameplay all around, fuck.
AoS: great on Hard, yawn on Normal.
DoS: pathetically bland no matter how you look at it.
PoR: oh my god, no.
OoE: largest world in a castlevania games but you could never tell because the map was split into over a dozen maps for no reason at all. Good difficulty curve, good waifu, really stupid characters.

>> No.6413696

>>6413678
Yeah, he played villains in general. Played a Frankenstein monster once too. This is the first time that guy heard any of these names. Which is okay, I'm overreacting for comedic purposes. But really, Lupin as inspiration for the first game is a hilarious idea.

>> No.6413698

>>6413670
>>6413691
Let me help you two out:

NOT RETRO >>>/v/

>> No.6413702

>>6413696

It's one of the most bait discussions I've seen in a bit..

>> No.6413705

>>6413698
You're not wrong, but SotN is /vr/ and the best days of Castlevania is all /vr/.

>> No.6413708

>>6413698
Dude some of this boards users were fucking sperm when the DS games came out.

>> No.6413710

>>6413702
It's not bait. OP legitimately believes what he's saying. Miyazaki did European castles well, his Lupin movie is my favourite too. It's jsut funny how OP completely misses Universal and Hammer references and thinks that "spooky castle and moon and clocktower gears" is strongly associated with Miyazaki, enough to mark his film as the likely primary inspiration.

>> No.6413715

>>6413710
It's just better for my sanity to not believe someone is that fucking retarded. It's clearly an homage/parody of classic mostly universal monster movies

>> No.6413726
File: 88 KB, 960x960, 1473313174533.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413715
he's not retarded, just hasn't seen a Hammer film in his life, which is no big loss, and I say that as a die-hard Hammer horror fanatic.

>> No.6413729

>>6413715
That and Vampire Hunter D, obviously.

>> No.6413738

>>6413729
Vampire Hunter D has nothing to do with Castlevania whatso-fucking-ever, until SotN.

>> No.6413742

>>6413726
Even then hammer and universal shit are so well known that the references should land just fine. Ive watched neither but I know who belalugosi and Christopher Lee are.

>> No.6413750

>>6413742
I think you know that mostly through osmosis but I can also assume you're a bit into your adulthood. Some guy who's never watched or looked up the history of horror films in their lives, or grew up with cartoons that referenced Frankenstein's monster would probably be lost. Which is certainly what seems to have happened here.

>> No.6413752

When video games are made, you give references to your artists, concept artists and designers.
This being said, I don't see how it is farfetched that, among other references, two famous japanese animated movies were used for a japanese video game.

>> No.6413754

>>6413750
Maybe some kid. See my above comment about how some of the users here where sperm even when the DS games came out.
>>6413729
Vampire hunter D didn't inspire a damned thing until maybe the IGA period.

>> No.6413756

>>6413750
nigger pull that stick out of your ass, absolutely everybody knows dracula and frankenstein

>> No.6413757

>>6413756
Nigga not everybody knows who Christopher Lee and Bela Lugosi is.

>> No.6413762

>>6413757
Maybe, but everybody knows old horror stuff exists, and nobody in this whole thread has denied that old horror movies inspired classic CV

>> No.6413765
File: 74 KB, 500x512, hereissomeattention33213437.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413756

>> No.6413768

>>6413762
Tehcnically speaking, that's what OP did: he dug back. Since CV is a Japanese series, he dug among famous japanese films. I called him an insane imbecile numerous times above, but made a honest mistake. his conclusion was fucked beyond repair, but his methodology actually wasn't.

>> No.6413775

>>6413768
He was actually correct, though. Perhaps you misunderstood.

>> No.6413778

>>6413775
He was 100% wrong about everything.

>> No.6413783

>>6413752
When there's a literal interview that states a whip was used because the director liked Indiana Jones and you still attribute it to Vampire Hunter D, there's probably something wrong in your logic flow.

When the credits of the first game come up and they literally wear their inspiration on their sleeve in the Japanese version and it's still horror movies from 1930s up? Yeah you've made a mistake.

>> No.6414496

Going on a castlevania marathon, fuck x68

good game though

>> No.6414623

A lot of what you're attributing to Vampire Hunter D or Lupin can likewise be largely attributed to the monster movies Castlevania always openly cribbed from.

>> No.6415450 [DELETED] 

>>6413783
Trusting that a developpers interview is "100% truth and there is no other truth", or not just developpers for that matter but being creative people they tend to like the spotlight and the smell of their own farts; without knowing them, the context or other people's views on the matter is just foolish.

I've seen it first hand myself, I took part in the development of a game, and once it was released, some of the devs in interviews or with fans were a bit full of shit, doing everything they can to make sure they're seen as geniuses for everything they did, be it something self evident, something they directly took from another game or media, or something that wasn't even their doing.

I think anyone taking an interview for granted is very naive. See this case with Resident Evil for instance >>6412810

This being said there is also the fact that contrary to what you're claiming, things never have one inspiration; or when they do they're obvious rip offs. CV, even CV1, is a mix of western horror movies appropriation and latent japanese culture, even if they wanted it or not, they were part of that cultural so it's natural it seeps through somehow.

>> No.6415947

>>6413778
lol, the proof is right there. And nobody said CV DIDN'T take from Universal movies, how is this so impossible to grasp? Can your brain not hold two things at the same time?

>> No.6415972

>>6415947
There is no sane reason whatsoever to drag other, much less related, supposed influences into this and create fan theories when the game just fucking tells you outright that it's a Universal and Hammer horror spoof, which it indeed obvious fucking is.

>> No.6415987
File: 17 KB, 628x378, 27630.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6414623
Konami's dev team pulled from all of these sources, it's just so obvious and readily apparent and has been for over 30 years I don't know why OP made such a big deal out of it unless they're autistic.

>> No.6416000
File: 425 KB, 1000x1442, IMG_20200510_075331.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guarantee you this: No Japanese guy in his teens or 20's wasn't at least aware of Universal Monster movies, Castle of Cagliostro and Vampire Hunter D when he played Akumajo Dracula in 1986.

>> No.6416013
File: 939 KB, 1000x1500, bGhrWGn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Castlevania is obviously inspired by Lupin the Third and Vampire Hunter D, huh!
No, Lupin didn't invent European architecture and VHD didn't invent vampires.
>You don't get it, retard! Lupin and VHD were inspired by that, while Castlevania was inspired by them! Here are some screenshots!
No, Castlevania was inspired by Universal and Hammer films, which is why you fight classic horror movie monsters throughout the game. That's why the first game has a film reel effect ont he title screen and its credits consist of Universal and Hammer actors and directors from "Belo" Lugosi and Boris "Karloffice" to Hammer director Terence Fisher ("Director: Trans Fisher" in the game), who directed Dracula and Frankenstein movies.
>Ah, so you admit defeat! Good to know!

>> No.6416080

>>6415947
No amount of proof is going to convince him otherwise. You see, with this case, it's a matter of pride.

As shown by his display of references, the guy clearly thinks knowing about old horror movies makes him cultivated, and he also thinks realizing that CV is a tribute to those movies makes him intelligent.
Despite both things being known to absolutely everyone.

Then, because VHD is from the 80's and is a japanese cartoon, for him it's not culturally seen as high class as Universal movies from the 30's. Thus, admitting that the game he likes is inspired by VHD would somehow tarnish his culture, bring it down to "modern pop culture" standards, and for some reasons, that hurts, hence the constant flow of insults. That hurts it so much, he even had to go back on his word that "only CV2 took influence from VHD" to "no game before SotN did" because even a tiny bit is already tarnishing.

That logic is even flawed due to the fact that both VHD and CV belong to the same kind of Japanese 80's pop culture (all the more reason why they would mutually inspired each others); but again, logic doesn't apply when you're an "elitist" who takes pride in knowing things everyone does.

>> No.6416789

I played CV 1, 3, 4, Rondo, Bloodlines.
Is there anything else or did I finish all the good classics?

>> No.6416904
File: 1.75 MB, 1936x2962, MV5BZmUyMjEzNGItNTZhOS00MmNhLWIyMDEtNDEwYTViMTQ2MTAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6412663
>Then, fight Medusa. Because yes, VHD had Medusa, so did CV, and, unlike Carmilla, which both franchises have a derivate of, it's not like Medusa culturally is linked to Dracula in any way.

Medusa is connected to classic horror in the same way Frankenstein and a Mummy are, it's not surprising why Medusa is in Castlevania, she's from mythology but she's culturally a classic horror movie monster. She literally is in a Terence Fisher movie and you see her in shit like Hotel Transylvania.

>> No.6417017
File: 202 KB, 839x661, 0026-003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413654
>cosplayer butt
I was going to say OP might still have a point in some design elements being inspired by recent popular media but this has won me over entirely.

Can't believe how dumb OP is. So dumb

>> No.6417296
File: 133 KB, 1317x1080, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

funny mummies

>> No.6418091

>>6416789
The X68000 version. Play it emulated suing XM6, don't play Chronicles it's a butchered port >>6413120

Play also Belmont's Revenge on GB, there is a coloured version in Konami's Classic Collection vol4. The 2 other GB games are shit.

>> No.6418110

>>6413120
these seem like really small nitpicks

>> No.6418121

>>6418110
>enemies appear later than they should thus attack you later than they should
>your whip hit detection is 3 times as big making some game mechanics like having to use the directional whip, or bosses being able to crouch, meaningless
>dubbed down AI for some enemies and bosses
>no time to beat a level unless you die long the way

>>nitpicks

These are all chore mechanics man. Enemy placement, enemy AI and hit detection are the essence of the game.

A nitpick would be saying you haven't really beaten CV4 if you haven't played the Jap version even though the only the difference is some background details.

>> No.6418135

>>6416789
>>6418091
Forgot to say, play Dracula X on SNES. Unlike popular belief it's almost an entirely new game; and one of my favourites even.

>> No.6418165

>VHD comes out in Japan in 1985
>it's absolutely hot stuff and make vampires gore and monsters cool

>Japan game comes out 1986 on the same subject
>absolutely impossible it was inspired by said movie

You know I wouldn't even be surprised if they got the idea of making the game from seeing the movie and how everyone liked it. Like how Contra is basically Aliens.
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was obvious to everyone in Japan and only us failed to realize it for so long; although if you do some google search, other fans realized it more than a decade ago.

>> No.6418219

>>6418165
Inspired =! Influence
Castlevania is clearly an ode to Universal and Hammer Horror.

>> No.6418261

>>6418219
>Inspired =! Influence

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/inspiration

>> No.6420393

>>6413392
>he doesn't know the holy water technique

>> No.6420417

>>6413691
I'm not the biggest fan of the old Castlevanias, but they're decent games and I like them well enough... but man I do not get the hype around SotN and the half dozen clones that were its sequels. Maybe it's one of those things you had to play at the time, I never played Castlevania as a kid and went back to play them as an adult. Symphony of the Night is an unholy disaster of Metroid's level design and Castlevania's enemy and world design with comically unbalanced RPG mechanics and probably the laziest padding I've seen outside of indie shit. Play the map upside down is a fun gimmick for a romhack, it's incredibly poor as a genuine part of your game. It just annoys me to finally play this supposed masterpiece and find such a mediocre game, especially as people (mostly not /vr/, thankfully) keep suckling at it indefinitely. At least the music was good?

>> No.6420421
File: 56 KB, 503x586, baa3ab0108e3085d79b5d9cf30935bfa0e7f6433bd0536a51515625f8aa1e913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6413665
>Arguing with weebs
Big mistake kiddo.

>> No.6420428 [DELETED] 

"Demon Castle Dracula" > "Castlevania"

"Demon's Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight" > "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night"

>> No.6420434

"Demon Castle Dracula" > "Castlevania"

"Demon Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight" > "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night"

>> No.6420894

>>6413120
>cropped screen

There a way to fix this in a manner similar to this hack?:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24800.0

>> No.6420903

>>6420894
No.

Just emulate the X68k version. PS1 is a shit port.

>> No.6420931

>>6412656
Cool thread, OP. Ignore the faggots.

>> No.6421092

Here's a question: was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure inspired by Castlevania? I always thought the first volume of Jojo felt a lot like Castlevania in atmosphere and theme.

>> No.6421094

>>6413632
You do realize that things can have multiple sources of inspiration? Castlevania was inspired by Hammer films, Dracula novel, AND Lupin III AND Vampire Hunter D.

>> No.6421116

>>6413658
Circle of the Moon is fascinating to me, because both in mechanics, style and in its difficulty, it felt to me like an attempt to merge Classicvanias and Metroidvanias.

I wish we got a game like that, a game that has an open metroidvania world and progression - but has the difficulty and mechanics of a classicvania. Like, no RPG elements, no spells, just you, your whip and subweapons. I know there is a ZX Spectrum Castlevania fangame that does something like that, but I don't know much about it.

This hypothetical game could have the 'gaining allies' mechanic from CV3 used to explore the castle - Belmont wouldn't gain movement abilities, but instead you would recruit e.g. Grant DaNasty who can double jump, Sypha Belnades who can freeze water and thus let you traverse waterways, and finally Alucard who can turn into a bat and fly. but aside from making the game easier, all these abilities would be used to access more of the castle the same way that you use upgrades in classic metroidvanias.

Imagine, this way we could make the Classicvania fans AND Igavania fans happy at the same time. Just add two difficulty levels, easy for Igavania fans and Hard for Classivania fans.

>> No.6421738

>>6421092
>I always thought the first volume of Jojo felt a lot like Castlevania in atmosphere and theme.
I also felt the same.
At the very least, SOTN had a Jojo reference (supposedly).

>> No.6421770
File: 17 KB, 640x480, 97KoItv.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have the Bloodlines prototype rom?

https://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=9526.0

>> No.6421774

>>6421770
nvm there it is

https://hiddenpalace.org/Castlevania_Bloodlines_(Aug_4,_1993_prototype)

>> No.6422271

Does anyone happen to have a save file of CotM with Thief mode unlocked and would be willing to share it?

>> No.6422282

>>6421092
JJBA was inspired by martial arts mangas in addition to Western gothic horror. Castlevania had nothing to do with it.
>>6421738
SotN referencd a whole lot of things as a joke.

>> No.6422643
File: 330 KB, 1440x1080, motorcycle skeletons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why the fuck are these skeletons on motorcycles?

>> No.6422683

>>6422643
Why not? Bloodlines has enemies on wheels or with guns

>> No.6422717

>>6413618
>>6413635
>>6413658
>hating on the original, the PC Engine version, the fucking MUSIC of SOTN
Those are some shitty takes anon.

>> No.6422730

I've watched plenty of Hammer Horror movies, Universal monster movies, Vincent Price stuff and Corman schlock like the Raven and even then I don't recally anything resembling the very close references in OP's cagliostro pic.
I'd venture a guess at both being an inspiration desu.

>> No.6423708

I THINK OP IS RIGHT
FUCK LITERALLY EVERYBODY ELSE
ME AND OP ARE FRIENDS NOW
I'LL FUCKING MAIM ALL THE REST OF YOU IF YOU DISAGREE WITH OP
seriously, that VHD shit can not be argued away