[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 288 KB, 570x355, FFIII.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
639823 No.639823 [Reply] [Original]

Who has played final fantasy here?
Which one did you play?
Which one's were your favorite?

I have played:
>Final Fantasy III, IV, VI, and VII

I personally liked III the best. IV was really great too, my second favorite. VI was good, and VII was alright, but I fail to understand what made this game the best game ever (other than the fact that Crisis Core made me cry like a bitch).

Im looking into playing the 1st and 2nd one soon.

>> No.639831

>>639823
I have played the version of III on the DS. I absolutely loathe it. I wish I could go back in time and punch myself for getting it.

The only other one I played was XII and I like it better.

>> No.639838

>Crisis core made me cry like a bitch
Lame game, and the part I'm assuming made you cry is butchered version of the scene from the original game removing a subtlety and added shitty j-pop or whatever

Anyways, do you plan on trying V?

>> No.639842

Did you play the NES or DS version of III?

>> No.639848

give 8 and 9 try
personally I loved 9
it was a classic struggle for power story tuned in to genocide replacement deal. Characters are lovable and enjoyable. Not that much "edgyness" since it doesn't need it.

>> No.639853

>>639831
>>639842

I played both the NES version and the DS version. I played the DS version a couple of months ago and I thought it was great, although the NES remains superior because of it's originality.

Is it wrong of me to like the music (a *little*) better on the DS version than the NES?[/spolier]

>>639838
I plan on it, but not until I try I & II.

>> No.639859

>>639853
Fail...

>>639848
I havent heard much about VIII & IX. But Ill give those a try as well.

>> No.639860

VII isn't the best game ever, but the materia system is awesome, and despite its flaws, I really dug the feeling the story had. I've only beaten I, VII, and VIII, and I definitely like VII the most. That's not really stiff competition, though.

>> No.639862

>>639842
DS version isn't even a DS version anymore, PSP have it, iPhone have it, Android have it.
I actually wish they could port Final Fantasy V and VI this much too.

>> No.639868

>>639859
nine has the classic princess and popper love story, but the princess is not generally the save me save me type either which makes it work

>> No.639869

>>639860
Ill give VII that one, the materia system was pretty neat both on VII and Crisis Core.

And you have to get into III soon, I promise you wont be disappoint.

I lied, it varies from person to person

>> No.639883

I've played
I (GBA), II (GBA), III (DS), VII, and XIII.
Really liked I, didn't care for any others.

>> No.639884

IV is the best. Short game with nothing complicated, I replay it often. That 80s aesthetic and soundtrack, so good.

VI and VII tie for second place. I replay them once in a while, too. They feel very similar in tone. VI wins in characters and enemy design, VII wins in soundtrack and locations.

>> No.639886

>>639853
Tips for FF1
Any weapon promises additional effects doesn't work, say something is supposed to be better against ogres it will do normal damage.
Many spells don't work
Lock 1 and 2 don't work, Xfer doesn't work nor does sabr and tmpr. There may be more that I forgot.

FF2 is pretty good despite what people say.

Also in FF1 don't forget to speak to the princess in Corneria before you leave, she gives you a flute which is important later.

>> No.639892

>>639886
Sweet, Ill remember this.

>> No.639893

>>639869
I've played all of the non-mmo releases for at least a little bit. Last time I played III I was in some cave shortly after getting the boat and got absolutely steamrolled by a boss. Apparently I wandered away from that cave before dropping it for a few years and now I can't remember enough about it to make my way back, so I'm kind of stuck.

Shame because I really like the job system (although V's is better in every way).

>> No.639913

>Last time I played III I was in some cave shortly after getting the boat and got absolutely steamrolled by a boss.

From the sounds of it, it was the Bahamut, wasnt it? Because you cant beat it on the first encounter, just gotta run lol.

>> No.639918

>>639913
I don't think so. I might have been a spider of some sort. The only thing I really remember is he reeeeallly liked inflicting status ailments.

>> No.639920

I played from FF 1 thru X & X-2

To me, the best could be FF6 of course but FF2 is that misunderstood hidden gem because no one understands the system, characters really customizables and not something premade.

I´ll never forget the first time i played FF8, using GF until disc 4 because i didn´t pay attention to Quistis about The Juction System at the beginning of the game ... Well, I was one of those...

I feel that FFX was what broke my bubble, the battle system was amazing but the game did not give you freedom to explore a map, the whole game was a straight line.

Well that´s what i like about this series, every FF is unique on it´s own way.

>> No.639929

>>639920
2 actually really annoyed me because Maria is by default the slowest character, and so she gets less chances than the other two to improve her stats in many battles unless you purposefully make them do useless shit.

>> No.639946

>>639853
Protip for Final Fantasy II, have your characters specialize in weapons and magics. Don't expect to have a mage capable of using five plus high end attack spells along with buffs and such, it will just make the game into too much of a grind.

The more you use something the better you become so start using that magic.

>> No.639954

>>639929
I remember her being the fastest

>> No.639961

>>639918
>Spider like
>Likes giving lots of status ailments

...nope, doesnt ring a bell. I tried to look it up too.

>> No.639969

>>639954
Then it's either random or Firion and Guy happened to gain loads of speed in my game. She can't get a hit in during most battles.

>> No.640114

Is there any reason to keep old equipment in 3?

>> No.640136
File: 1.02 MB, 1200x1203, 32975083.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've played these all the way through:

FF1 (NES, GBA)
FF3 (DS)
FF4 (SNES us, SNES jp hardtype, GBA, PSP)
FF6 (SNES, GBA)
FF7 (PC)
FF7: Dirge of Cerberus
FF8 (PSX)
FF9
FF12
Tactics (PSX, PSP)
Tactics Advance
Legends 3 (SaGa 3, GB)
Mystic Quest

I've played a little bit of these ones:

FF2 (NES, GBA)
FF3 (NES)
FF5 (GBA) made it to a little after Galuf dying
FF7: Crisis Core
FF10

Final Fantasy has always been a major hit-or-miss series with me.

FF1 on the NES was the first game I played of the series, and it was good though I prefer the NES Dragon Quest games and Mother 1 over it

FF2 I haven't given enough of a chance yet. This is next on my to play list after I finish Earthbound, so I'll pay attention to any advice you guys have for the game

I don't care for the class systems in FF3 and FF5 mostly because DQ3, 6, and 7 do it much better, but I like the class systems in Tactics and Tactics Advance a lot.

FF4 was good for it's time, though it looks so cliche looking back on it, even worse than most Dragon Quest games. Still a fun game to play and I wish more JRPG's had parties bigger than 4 people

Mystic Quest. It's fun to play if you don't take it seriously. Fucking awesome battle themes.

Legend 3 (aka SaGa 3) I loved. Best non-remake handheld RPG until the Game Boy Advance came around, imo. Also has an awesome GB soundtrack by the same guy who did Mystic Quest.

I stopped playing FF5 because Galuf is my favorite character from the game, then the game killed off the only reason why I was still playing it I think I went into the game with the wrong mindset. Like FF2, I'm also planing on finishing a playthrough of it at some point.

FF6 is tied with Dragon Quest 4 for my favorite games of all time. While it's not a perfect game and I can point out a lot of flaws with it, everything I like about it glosses over the flaws for me.

(cont.)

>> No.640140
File: 29 KB, 525x420, reality_tactics_advance_marche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>640136
FF7 was good. The materia system was pretty good, though a bit grindy, and the characters were mostly likable. Kinda wish the game focused more on Shinra though and didn't have the plot hijacked by Sephiroth.

The Compilation of FF7 games, though... just kinda wreck the original game, imo. It didn't need a sequel/prequel and shouldn't have gotten any. Unlike most people though, I actually kinda liked the gameplay from Dirge of Cerberus

Tactics had an amazing story, a great class system, and challenging gameplay, sometimes too hard Ramza, draw your sword.

Tactics Advance was also a good follow up to it gameplay wise. Plot was alright and I would have sided with Marche

FF8 was... how do I put this nicely? The plot after disc 1 was stupid. The GF/Junction system I think was a good idea executed very badly. Most of the major characters I couldn't like at all, except for Irvine. My favorite characters from the game are Laguna, Kiros, and Ward and I liked playing the dream sequences with them, even though they were out of place

Loved FF9 and it's my 2nd favorite FF game after 6. Combat system is solid, story is solid, likable main characters, 4 person party again, and I think this game has less flaws than FF6 and FF7 had. The game was just well executed all around the only major flaw is how long I have to spend in boss battles trying to get Zidane to steal shit

FF10 I played a bit of and I dropped it because the plot was moving too slowly for me at the time. My sister loves this game and I plan on actually playing through it at some point.

While I'm not crazy about the MMORPG battle system, FF12 was fun. Vaan and Penelo were out of place, but I played as Basch, Balthier, and Fran for most of the game. I actually had fun running around yelling that I'm Basch and that people shouldn't believe Ondore's lies

(cont.)

>> No.640142

>>640140
I watched a friend play through FF13. This video sums up everything for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=47YPs-qwNQU#t=24s

>> No.640162

>>639823
>Which one did you play?
I-XII, tactics, MQ. Tactics A1/A2.

>Which one's were your favorite?
IX followed closely by VI and Tactics.

The only ones I can say I did not like would have to be VIII and XII I am a bit on the fence about. II was really hurt by the leveling system.

>> No.640712

I've only tried XVIII and couldnt follow it.

I've always loved the renders of female characters. My fav is Ashe.

Thats pretty much FF for me.

>> No.640730

>>640712
I meant VIII

>> No.640738
File: 210 KB, 600x530, 11818975.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've played every game in the series. Well, except for II and III, which I've played both of, just never got that far, didn't really care for them much.

My favorites are V, VII, and XII IZJS. VI and IX are also really great. I like most of the games in the series, which is kinda surprising when you see how divided fans of the series are on everything.

I, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII were all great.

>> No.640764
File: 189 KB, 732x485, Honk Honk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>639823
>Who has played final fantasy here?

I have.

>Which one did you play?

I have beat 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12, and played a little bit of, X-2, 13, and Tactics.

>Which one's were your favorite?

10 is my personal favorite followed by 7 and possibly 6. I enjoyed them all though. I don't understand the hate 10 gets at all and I probably never will. It is a really fun game.

>> No.640765
File: 242 KB, 344x768, TPF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Played (and finished) every mainline FF up to IX.
For some reason I could never get into X, XII and XIII.

>> No.640772

>>640765
You grew up.

I'm so thankful I've played a lot of JRPGs in my teens. I couldn't stand anything less than a full-on Dragon Quest now. I've experienced FFVII and VIII and X before I was 20 - these days I wouldn't have been able to finish that crap.

>> No.640807

FF3 (DS), FF6, FF7, FF10, FF12.

10 > 7 > 6/12 > 3

10 is my favourite, 7 is the one I've beaten the most (4 times), 12 is the one I've played the most (about 500 hours invested), 6 with the most people (internet co-op via an emulator). 3 Was just dire and I never went back to it.

>> No.640820

>>640807
>6 with the most people (internet co-op via an emulator)

I had no idea 5, 6 and 9 had co-op until recently. Quite the surprise.

>> No.640826

I played 1 a long time ago. I could not beat the first boss (he was in a cave as I recall) because I did not understand the concept of leveling up, so I kept trying to fight him over and over again and couldn't figure out why I couldn't win.

I got stuck in 4 at some point and never finished it, and 6 is my favourite game of all time. I never played anything past that because I was a Nintendo fanboy and refused to buy Playstations. I still remember the day Squaresoft announced that they had defected to Sony. A DAGGER! A DAGGER THROUGH MY HEART! Some day though I'll catch up on 7 and up.

>> No.640827

>>639884
>mfw IV came out in the 90s

>> No.641061

>>639838
shit man. that ending would have been fantastic if it played appropriate music.
I remember being like "this really tugs at the hear-AWAAA DEERO WAAA NIPPON LANGUAGURU- the fuck?"

>> No.641071

>>640765
now that's pretty sexy looking

>> No.641081
File: 323 KB, 1920x1080, ff1-wallpaper.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorites, in order:

FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FF
FFV

...and everything else I can't really be bothered with ranking because they didn't make much of an impression on me. I never played the MMO or anything after XII.

>> No.641085

>>640712
You started with one of the worst FF games. Give the others a try.

>> No.641091

My top three FF games would be 5, 7, and 9.

>> No.641097

>>640827
>your face when FF3 did too.

>> No.641103

>>640765
I'd like her to summon my ifrit. If you know what i mean

>> No.641105

>>641097
>your face when so did the first one (in north america)

>> No.641112

>>641110
no followin ya

>> No.641110

>>641103
Oh she can make my Whyte appear whenever she wants. If you know what I mean.

>> No.641117

>>640827
Anime style didn't really change until the spiky hair look caught on mid decade.

>> No.641127

I played I, II, IV, V, VI, VIII, X, XII

but I really like V and VIII the most.

>> No.641162

>>640765
Rydia showing up and saving your ass was pretty damn memorable.

>> No.641173

VII, but I enjoyed every one until around X or so.

I miss pre-2000s Final Fantasy.

>> No.641178

>>641162
she can save my ass... okay i'll stop

>> No.641183

I like VIII the most.

People will probably disagree with me. That's okay with me.

>> No.641186

>>639823
>III
NES or DS? They're so very different now. Personally I hated the DS versions' new art.

>> No.641230
File: 86 KB, 638x445, 1353271413372.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've played all the main FF games. My /vr/ related tier list.

VI>VII>V>XI>III

>> No.642030

>>640136
You should try the other Gameboy Final Fantasy Legend games, the second one is easily the best out of the three. Someday I'll play the remake, when my computer is up to snuff.

>> No.644235

>>641183
I'll go right ahead and agree with you.

>> No.644250

>>642030
I never beat the final boss in that game.

When I finally got to Odin , I figured the game was over. That game was fun

>> No.644297

>>642030
Also, Venus was a bitch to beat the first time around

>> No.644353

>>641230
no VIII?, no IV? or I and II for that matter.

>> No.644404
File: 546 KB, 1200x795, Firion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I played I, II, III, IV, and V

I liked III and V the most. I guess I just like the job system. I like to complain about II and its weird-ass difficulty curve. IV I thought was melodramatic and I hated how you couldn't control any aspect of your characters. I was pretty good.

>> No.644419

>>639823
>inb4 insults
I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan ever since VI came out. I'm not a VI fanboy but I was only like 4 or something when it came out and that was when we had a snes.
Played them all. Personal favourites are VII, I , V and XIII.
I know I'm a casual scrub but I don't care I enjoyed them.

>> No.644552

>>644419
why would someone insult you? Because you enjoyed a video game? We share the love of enjoying video games here. It's the /vr/ way.

>> No.644558

>>644552
Yeah I know but the same thing said on /v/ would start a shitstorm. Man I fucking love /vr/

>> No.645442

Only played IV and VII.

IV>VII

>> No.645472

IX, X (partway), currently playing Tactics
I had surprisingly little trouble in Riovanes, considering it's my 1st playthrough.

>> No.645473

i played, finished and own:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 10-2 12 13 13-2
no 11

favorites: 6 9 7 5 10 4 in order

>> No.645518
File: 38 KB, 1024x768, Rinoa05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

VIII has the best waifus.

>> No.645601

>>645442
Mah Nigga. Im high.

>>645473
Shit I failed to mention XIII and XIII-2. Those were really great games. Futuristic and really modern. Different fanfare, and different aspects. Not the best though. But I personally liked it. In fact, I beaten it twice.

>> No.645623

>>645601
13 was a snooze fest
but i loved 13-2
the girl was super hot and i liked the time travels, i completed it 100%
in the 13 i didn't even killed the big monsters

>> No.645652

>>645601
>>645623
>liking XIII
children, pls
>>>/v/
>>>/out/

>> No.645702
File: 3 KB, 300x57, 1367782405139.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IX > IV > V > I > VII > X > II > III > VI > VIII
XI is fun but not FF.
CC (GCN)
TA2 > TA > T

Always wanted to try Chocobo Dungeon but never got around to it.
Otherwise, if it ain't listed, I ain't touched it and don't plan to. And yes, I do honestly like 2 better than 6. No troll.

>> No.645831

>I
Played the NES version on an emulator, got quite far, but never finished it. Got not as far on the GBA port, but stopped because of tedium.

>II
Never played past the beginning on both NES emulator and GBA.

>III
Always got up to CoD on both NES emulator and DS, stopped out of disinterest (and annoyance that the DS port needs WiFi to access some content)

>IV
Finished GBA port.

>V
Finished GBA port.

>VI
Got to world of Ruin on the PS port, don't even remember playing the GBA port despite owning it.

>VII, VIII, IX, X
Finished on their respective consoles.

>X-2
I lost interest when I kinda felt that the intricates of the sphere change system weren't necessary.

>XI
An MMO. As if.

>XII
Haven't played it yet.

>Revenant WIngs
Haven't played it yet.

>FFTA
I couldn't play it because I was so irritated at the stores not showing how equipment would change a character's stat. (If there is a way, please excuse my stupidity).

>Vagrant Story
Fucking Guildenstern's second form.

>SaGa Frontier 2
This I found for about 12 bucks at a flea market in surprising good condition. I bought it because of the tips section in a magazine that I can't even remember to have reviewed it in the first place (must have been an editor's favorite, so he just went with it, same goes for Vandal Hearts 2)

IX is, out of the PS games, probably the most well crafted to me. VIII isn't nearly is as bad as everyone says, but it chock-full of flaws: the story goes absolutely crazy later on, characters don't really show any presence, sudden change in personality (Squall griefing over Riona and obsessing to an extent that it seemed out of character), and a battle system that, provided you know what you are doing and where to find the G.F.s, makes battles a walk in the park.

>> No.645860

>>645652
>>>/lgbt/

>> No.645905

I've played, I-IV and currently playing VII.
I tried playing I on NES, but found it very difficult at times and played it and II on the PSP.
III I tried to play on the DS, but how it looked didnt appeal to me, so I played the NES version and enjoyed it.
Played IV on SNES and I've been meaning to play the PSP version with The After Years
I did V for a bit on emulator. Did a fuckton of grinding and eventually lost interest in it (something which I did with Persona 3)
I own a copy of VI and when I got stuck on a part and looked up a guide, the guide basically said "you're a retard because you didnt do these things" and I gave up (planning on going back to it though)
like I said, currently playing VII and I have VIII and IX waiting to be played once I'm done with VII. gonna wait to see how the HD remake of X looks before I make a purchase on which version I want to play with.
and I do own a copy of FF Tactics for the PSP but every time I pick it up I put it down. something about it doesnt jive with me.

my favorite so far is IV. and already from the few hours of playing VII it really has grown on me surprisingly.

>> No.646065

I've played FF1, Mystic Quest, Tactics, VIII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance A2 and XII: Revenant Wings

I've beaten X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A2.

Tactics for PS1 is the best FF and one of the best games ever

>> No.646320

Played 3(DS) 4(DS) 5 (partway), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12 and Tactics.

Rankings. 6>9>4>7>Tactics>12>10>8>3>10-2

>> No.646337

V is my favourite.

Galuf.

>> No.646345

Played Tactics on the psx once but barely remember it. Then played the fuck out of 8 then 7 then 9 (all favorites). X was ok but tbh it wasnt my cup of tea.

>> No.646406

>>640826
If you cared that much you would've defected to Sony

>> No.646445

Played and beat 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12
12>5>9>6>8>3>4
also played 1 and 7 for a little bit but they were bad.

>> No.646452
File: 2 KB, 100x100, Alcy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Played:
I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,FFT,MQL,KH,KH2
Beat: See Above
Favorites: I,IV,VII,FFT

>> No.646496

I've beaten 1 thru X, XII, and Tactics, and Crisis Core (regretfully). VII is easily the best, and it isn't overrated, just overhyped. It still has the best world, themes, and monster designs. The FFVI fandom is just a response for the extreme popularity VII has. Really guys, VI has paper thin characters that have barely three scenes dedicated themselves. For example, Terra is a one-note character that just complains about her inability to love, that's all. Gau has about one scene of development near the end, and the optional characters are just... there. At least Yuffie and Vincent had their own sidequests.

>> No.646498

Played 1-8 when I was a teen, then 12. Finished 1 and 6, although I got close with some of the others. To be honest, I don't see the appeal of these games anymore.The only one that I still sort of like is 5, because there's enough variety thanks to jobs, and the game doesn't shove its story and cutscenes in your face all the time. It's still way too slow though.

>> No.646507

In my opinion, 5 to 7 was the golden age of Final Fantasy. Thoughts?

>> No.646520

>>646507
I think 9 shot for that spirit and made it, you have to skip over 8 but I'd say 4-9

>> No.646524

>>646496
>At least Yuffie and Vincent had their own sidequests.
You mean the two or three extra characters out of a much larger cast? Oh yes, how horrible! If you think FFVI's cast is any more thin than VII's, with Aeris "I'M A MAGICAL SPECIAL GIRL FROM THE HOOD!", Tifa "CLOUD IS MAI HUSBANDO", or Red XII "MUH DADDY ISSUES."

>> No.646540

>>646524
You're simplifying it all too much. Aeris, Tifa, and even Red XIII had more scenes of exposure throughout the game than any of the characters did in FFVI. For the most part, they had a.) their introductory scene, and b.) a scene and/or sidequest in the WoR that resolved their conflict. FFVII's cast was much more consistently involved in the game's plot. They appeared more often and joked around with each other. On the other hand, FFVI had a bunch of seperate sidestories taking turns in the limelight, and when you have 14 characters, that means minimum exposure.

>> No.647012

Played III and IV on the DS, currently playing V on the gba. I own XII, but didn't quite get into it.

>> No.647745

>>639893
was it medusa? thats the next boss after getting the boat and notorious for petrification

>> No.647973

>>646524
Celes is a whiny teenager with daddy issues
Locke is a self righteous criminal
Edgar is just a generic prince character
Terra is just Aeris except Aeris fucking smiled from time to time
Sabin is generic monk character #324564
Shadow is so edgey but is ok he love dawg

I can keep going, my point is you can make anything look retarted if you focus on it like that.