[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 121 KB, 256x310, 256px-Link_and_Epona_Majora's_Mask.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6381095 No.6381095 [Reply] [Original]

Do retrofags like Epona? I just realized there was never horses in any of the games beside OoT and Majora.

>> No.6381110

Some people make too big a deal about Epona, frankly having a horse didn't really add much to the games. Felt underutilized in both Majora and Ocarina. I don't think they've ever done a good job with the implementation of a horse but it sure added to the hero pretense.

>> No.6381121

Horses were in Oracle of Seasons and Ages but only in the opening and The Minish Cap had Epona, Four Swords Adventures was the first 2D game to have them playable though and is probably the only time I've actually enjoyed them. They were also in Twilight Princess where they were awful and Breath of the Wild where they were entirely pointless

>> No.6381125
File: 8 KB, 200x202, 3d4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6381121
>They were also in Twilight Princess where they were awful and Breath of the Wild where they were entirely pointless

>> No.6381131

>>6381125
Horses in Twilight Princess played like they did in OoT and MM, complete shit. In Breath of the Wild literally anything is better, especially the motorcycle. Epona is great though, I love Epona.

>> No.6381139

>>6381131
For me, Twilight Princess would be the best Zelda game if it wasn't for the unbearable boringness of the mandatory wolf sections.

>> No.6381143

>>6381131
Horses are great for fast traveling in the area you're in for both TP and BotW.

>> No.6381153

>>6381139
I hate Twilight Princess. I genuinely don't understand the love for it.
>pointless items you only use in the area
>dull drab colors
>hideous designs
>mandatory bullshit
>tedious side quests
>unfun minigames
>boring dungeons
>obnoxious motion controls depending which version
>hd version gives pointless stamps leaving you feeling even more unfulfilled in completing things
>dark just for the sake of edge
>annoying characters
I could go on all day really, just the worst Zelda game for me.

>> No.6381162

>>6381131
What? BotW is the only Zelda game where horses are actually an interesting mechanic.
>horses have different attributes
>world is big enough to justify moving around on horses
>horseback combat is actually interesting
The problem with Epona in OoT and MM is that the mechanics are too simplistic and you hardly ever NEED to use her, only to cross a few objects or do a couple mini games. It feels like they put her in just to say "hey you can ride a horse too".

>> No.6381191

>>6381121
>>6381131
The thing about BotW horses is I'd often end up leaving them behind because of the climbing.

The best use I found for one was when I did my rush to Ganon run, landed on one jumping off the Plateau and used it to get me to an early fire greatsword in Hyrule Field.

>> No.6381223

>>6381143
>>6381162
>>6381191
Outside of minigames and when the game forced you to use the horse I never used it. Like that other anon said, I'd always lose it. Sure they gave the teleport but iirc that was also the DLC pack with the motorcycle so why bother?

>> No.6381230

The horse was useless. But it was needed, because both them games literally had massive amounts of empty unused area to make the game feel bigger. Waste of time.

>> No.6381253

>>6381153

Also

>shit ost
>expensive

>> No.6381291

>>6381131
>Motorcycles in Zelda
Modern video games are fucking stupid.

>> No.6381303

>>6381253
>remembering it even has an ost
Expensive?
>>6381291
You know I fucking hated the idea when I saw it but it plays so fun that I can't hate it. Its explained away as ancient Shiek tech and you have to do a lot of working to get it.

>> No.6381312

>>6381095
Can't say much about the poor horse, but every time I see a non-pixel art image of Link, I remember the times when I was dating a chick who was fangirling really hard for OoT. We broke up after a year and a half, but this shit still gives me PTSD.

>> No.6381330

>>6381303
The Gamecube and Wii U versions of Twilight Princess ask for a hefty price.

>> No.6381336

>>6381330
I understand GameCube but why the Wii U? Its an inferior version of an already bleh game

>> No.6381501

>>6381153
Did you ever played Skyward Sword?
Like what the fuck they where thinking?

>> No.6381526

>>6381501
Not that anon but the biggest problems with Skyward Sword are its abysmal pacing and motion controls, everything else is good to kino. I don't have a problem with Twilight Princess though.

>> No.6381541
File: 90 KB, 618x618, matrix_bait.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6381153

>Zant was a better villian, even overshadowed Ganon
>First massive overworld with a variety of interesting NPC characters and locales
>Art style took a step away from the crayon colors the series was used to, faded neon hues with bizarre and grimy looks, almost Lord of the Rings
>Gave us proper motion controls for the first time that was intuitive to use, especially in a Zelda game
>Objectively some of the best boss-fights in the series... large scale battle with Stallord, Shadow of the Colossus-esque aerial fight with Argorok, four stage finale against Ganon
>Midna -- best companion in the entire series
>How was Ocarina's mounted combat? Oh wait....
>Darker and made for a much more mature player of the franchise
>Instead of "Save the Princess"---it has Dark Souls style storytelling where not all of the plot is shoved down player's throat and instead must be discovered through environmental clues and character interactions
>Best dungeons ever, no contest

>> No.6381558 [DELETED] 

>Zant was a better villian, even overshadowed Ganon
Holy shit. Zant's barely a fucking character, that's how much of a joke he was. His mask comes off and its like watching a child. What's worse is he gets massively overshadowed by Ganon. I really hope the rest of this isn't bait like this because I'm replying to you.
>First massive overworld with a variety of interesting NPC characters and locales
lol no, all the characters are ugly as sin and cliche, just like the overworld which is just an expanded OoT. I'll give you the snow mansion but that's it and it has that god awful sledding minigame.
>Art style took a step away from the crayon colors the series was used to, faded neon hues with bizarre and grimy looks, almost Lord of the Rings
Correct, a complete eyesore. Skyward Sword took that aesthetic and made it work just by brightening the colors. It's still just as bizarre and grimy.
>Gave us proper motion controls for the first time that was intuitive to use, especially in a Zelda game
Yeah, this is a bait. I'm not bothering with the rest of this. Not even giving you a (You)

>> No.6381626

I used Epona in OOT for going to one place to the other as adult Link.
In MM, you're better off using the Goron roll, but then, Epona has a more fleshed out side-quest. In OOT, you only race the guy in Lon Lon Ranch and that's it, in MM it's a lot more intense, it has the alien invasion quest, and the wild west-style chasing part which also involves horseback archery. It was also nice to find Epona again, and actually being able to ride her being kid Link, which you couldn't in OOT.
So yeah for me Epona is based.

>> No.6382227

>>6381110
>>6381121
>>6381125
>>6381131
Glad I'm not the only one who never used horses in BotW. Unless they were somehow able to climb, they're useless.

>> No.6382236

I thought it was cool. The games were big enough to justify horses with OoT, and I'm honestly glad it wasn't some goofy creature turned mount like a giant rooster or something. Mounted archery was also fun to do, which is still surprisingly rare in most games along with any other mounted combat. I don't remember much of TP anymore but I do recall being disappointed in its implementation of it, there was something off in the execution.

>> No.6382248

>>6381095
>Epona
added atmosphere, i miss the horse

>> No.6382289

>>6382227
i forget about the horses most of the time in botw. i just fast travel most of the time, then get to where i'm going on foot.