[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 112 KB, 597x600, Ffobox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6376074 No.6376074 [Reply] [Original]

Are any of the PS1 Collections of the FF games any good? I tried playing a bit of 6 and I just had to stop due to the slowdown getting to me so bad.

>> No.6376086

>>6376074
Emulate the gba versions

>> No.6376086,1 [INTERNAL] 

emulate the snes versions

>> No.6376332

this ones so classic for me. I remember watching my dad play it

>> No.6376345

>>6376074
You posted the best one already.

>> No.6376347

>>6376074
No. play later releases of them

>> No.6376381

Arguably the definitive versions if you want the original gameplay. The later ports make them depressingly easy (and they're easy games to begin with, but the later versions are literally just "mash A to win")

>> No.6376387

WSC is best for 1 and 2. SNES is best for 4, 5 and 6. If you don't want to emulate then play the GBA ports.

>> No.6376395

>>6376074
Origins allows you to select between the original spell charge system and MP system. That choice alone makes it the definitive version in my book. Later versions force you into MP.

>> No.6376402

>>6376074
Origins is fine, that's how I beat the first FF.

>> No.6376442

>>6376381
Do the GBA versions actually make it easier? My first exposure to 6 was the GBA version and I remember finding it distressingly easy, but when I played the PS1 version, I find myself dying a lot easier early on.

>> No.6376451

Play the separate Japanese releases of FF1 and 2 for the PS1.
The Origins collection was dumbed down for Americans.

>> No.6376454

>>6376451
>The Origins collection was dumbed down for Americans.
Got any links to details on the differences?

>> No.6376458

>>6376454
They changed the text from Japanese to English and removed the option to display kanji.

>> No.6376817

>>6376074
The FF 5&6 collection on PS1 is a slow, buggy piece of shit, and you shouldn't expect the same shit from Origins. There is some loading time you have to deal with, but it's nowhere near the same level as FF 5&6.

>> No.6376828

>>6376817
Does playing the discs in ps2 or ps3 with the enhancements for ps1 games make a difference in loading?

>> No.6376834

>>6376828
No. Don't believe anybody who claims otherwise. Despite the faster processing speed, the newer consoles will still maintain the original loading times because "it's how it was on PS1".

>> No.6377029

>>6376074
1/2

The only ones worth considering are the Origins releases of I and II.

I: Available on the PSP. It's the same version of the game with some differences, apparently a difficulty mode was removed, but the PSP version has its own bonus content, including everything the GBA version had. It has the same exact tracks for music as the Playstation version, whereas the GBA version got a massive hit in sound quality. The art style is also very well-done and perfectly suited to the PSP. Highly recommended especially for you since you hate slowdown, because it's so much faster than the Playstation version due to a lack of load times for battle transitions, particularly if you're emulating it or playing the UMD file on a softmodded PSP.

II: Same exact story as I, it was given the same treatment as it. It has all of the bonus content from the GBA version plus new bonus content. I got a respectable bugfix patch in the form of Restored for the NES version but this is the ideal way to play II since the NES version is riddled with bugs and is a very slow game. I've played through all of this, it's miraculous how it salvages everything good in the game and scrubs out all of the bad.

>> No.6377031

>>6376074
>>6377029
2/3

IV: Leaps and bounds better than playing the original localization (Final Fantasy II) since it's an actual translation of the original Japanese version, and wasn't altered in difficulty or deprived of features as that version was. However, the music and sound effect quality is notably worse than the original SNES version. No question, play the J2e translation of IV. There was an addendum patch to remove cursing and pop culture references, but it also removes intended lines of important story dialogue also in the original Japanese script, so you're better off putting up with its quirks, but if you can't stand them the Playstation version is acceptable since the translation is more "official" sounding.

V: Unlike Final Fantasy IV, the soundtrack hasn't just been altered for this version, it's flat-out neutered. Look up a video to compare it to the SNES original and you'll see. It's also infamous for having a lackluster translation, one of the main characters exclusively speaks in pirate talk and it's just grating. I never heard anyone deny that the RPGe fan translation of the original SFC version is better for the translation alone. The GBA translation has actually also been back-ported perfectly to the SNES version, so again if you want a more official translation that's the way to go. Either way download this from romhacking as it has bugfix patches in a seperate .zip, so you could use them to play the game bugfixed even on top of the earlier RPGe patch if you happen to prefer that.

>> No.6377047

>>6376074
>>6377029
>>6377031
3/3

VI: I lost what I originally wrote because of 4chan's timed post delays. Basically, the Playstation version of VI's music quality is not as bad as V, it's more like IV which means it still pales in comparison to the SNES original. Not to mention the load times. You're better off with either a patch of the SNES version of III called Ted Woolsey: Uncensored which has bugfixes, typo corrections, and original Japanese uncensored sprites, if you like the Ted Woolsey original translation (which the Playstation version does also use) or a straight-up English fan translation patch of the original SFC version of VI. As I write this I thought the only one of its kind was the RPGOne patch way back from 2005, but I'm just learning that in 2019 another one was made which looks a lot better: it takes cues from Tomato's (the guy who translated Mother 3) extensive breakdown of the various translations.

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/4480/

>> No.6378595

/ffg/ has a pastebin on the versions of each game in the main series.
Even if you disagree with the version they end up recommending, they do at least tell you what each version changes.
https://pastebin.com/nDC7j5bn
For the record, there is at least one major gameplay difference between the PSX & earlier versions of FF1 and the GBA & later versions, that being the spell system is changed to use Mana instead of DnD styled charges, so earlier versions would be more true to the original.

>> No.6378753

>>6376332
Upvoted.

>> No.6379106

>>6376442
FF6 was always a very easy game

>> No.6379185

>>6378595
This is outdated as shit senpai