[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.86 MB, 1968x3666, jrpg settings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6360787 No.6360787[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

But how the fuck can anyone put up with WRPGS, especially retro ones?

>Fetch quests glore
>dull music
>everything is dull brown/green/grey
>cast of characters range from beard men to ideal elven types
>same settings
Semi-medieval fantasy,pirate shit, Sci-fi, and rare occasions the modern day
>Genres spawned from them are CANCER
MOBAs, MMos

>INB4 someone post those Wrpg vs Jrpg posters,
They are easy to refute and the wrpg dudes are cherrypicking

>INB4 you only like it because you beat off to anime
In Jrpgs strange characters like Chongara, Mallow, Quina and all sorts freaks are able to be in your party

>INB4 playing a role
I wanted a story instead of pretending to be a perfect medival white dude., I actually got out of scholastic dogshit in school by playing jrpgs
and got out of essays by using RPGamer for class project.

>> No.6360792

The /vg/ kids don't really know there exist an "RPG" genre. They're zoomers who grew up only knowing about JRPGs, so that's what they target, and it's why it's so funny when they use the "jarpig" meme around, it's just more proof of their zoom status.

>> No.6360794

Gameplay that requires more than two functioning brain cells.

>> No.6360798

>>6360792
Nah, not a zoomer my dude. Just WRPGs are just ass on all levels especially in the retro era.

Jrpgs spawn all sorts of interesting things the wrpgs didn't
>platformer rpg
>srpgs
>monster taming rpgs
>tgc rpgs
the list goes on....

>>6360794
How so? Turn a dial to adjust an npc's mood?

>> No.6360812
File: 64 KB, 803x803, 1576520262501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6360798
>Turn a dial to adjust an npc's mood
Lol wut?

>> No.6360825

>>6360812
elderscrolls

>> No.6360837

>>6360825
was never a good series

>> No.6360849

>>6360837
neither are most of the other ones.

>> No.6360864

>>6360849
Even bad WRPGs have deeper gameplay than most JRPGs. Sorry you can't spam "fight" to get to the next melodramatic plot twist.

>> No.6360865

>>6360787
Easy: most retards thing "content" means;
>simple, basic gameplay copy pasted for dozens of hours
>tons of generic locations with equally generic fights
And
>npc interaction for every little thing

WRPGs are hotbeds for this kind of stupidity.

>> No.6360869

Do your job jannies.

>> No.6360874

>>6360864
you are only talking about final fantasy, there are some jrpgs that will kick your ass.

>> No.6360876
File: 29 KB, 360x360, 1575572686805.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>encounter in a CRPG
>can chose to funnel your enemies into a trap where you use slowing spells combined with flame magic to roast them to death, set up archers on over watch as your tank charges in, stealthily send in assassins to set up traps and poison your foes, countless other possibilities rendering every playthrough unique
>JRPGS
>open menu, select magic that an enemy is weak to
>sometimes select a status debuff or a heal spell

Yaaaay, JRPG's are sooo fun and challenging with unique gameplay ele-zzzzzzzzzzzz

>> No.6360903

>>6360876
>can chose to funnel your enemies into a trap
acion rpg
>seiken densetsu
>star ocean

Srpg
>arc the lad 2

Yet you only bring up standard jrpgs,
stop being a white girl.

>> No.6360908

>>6360903
also megaman battle network

>> No.6360986

>>6360903
I fuggin love Star Ocean the Second Story, and it's battle/crafting system is leaps and bounds above typical JRPG fare, but I don't think you realize the amount of possibilities for combat you have in games like Arcanum or BG's derivatives.

>> No.6361009

>>6360787
Radiant historian sucks fat dick and it's not retro

>> No.6361042

>>6361009
>>6360986
art and music, man, that rust brown shit and woodland music doesn't do it for me.

>> No.6361172

>>6360876
>>6360876
But will you actually use those mechanics? I knew Baldur's Gate had some pretty deep mechanics, but I got through the whole game by detecting traps, setting Imoen to fire the magic arrows I had been hoarding, occasionally having Neera cast a spell, and setting the rest of the party to >BONK. I still enjoyed the game's quests, world, lore, and character development, but I almost never changed my strategy apart from switching up my equipment to be resistant to an enemy's element if a fight was really kicking my ass.

SMT Nocturne put me at risk of of being destroyed by my enemies in almost every battle, but still giving me all the tools necessary to beat them. Winning any battle in Nocturne required thoughtful use and abuse of the Press Turn system, combined with the careful use of debuffs and buffs. Party comp was everything, with a rotating lineup of a huge number of demons. Every fusion made me think carefully about which options I would be opening up and eliminating. Sure, it seems superficially shallow in that there weren't as many options as Baldur's Gate, but I actually used every option at my disposal and made thoughtful and meaningful decisions in combat.

TLDR both combat systems have their strengths and weaknesses, less mechanics =/ shallow

>> No.6361187

Why are zoomers so fucking obsessed about games they don't like, or what other people think or do? No one is forcing you to play them, buy them, or think about them. Instead of making a thread to discuss something you like, you made a thread JUST to bitch about a genre that doesn't interest you. Seek fucking help and quit obsessing over shit that doesn't effect you.