[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 268x188, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6332610 No.6332610 [Reply] [Original]

Preferably with accompanying youtube vid and/or explanation for why it's underrated.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LFhd6IxhQ

Look at that shit. The level design was solid, you had fun weapons with ammo count (as a kid, for a SNES game I thought that was really cool back in the day), you could strafe properly in any direction despite it being on SNES/Genesis, it was violent, the music was good, nicely challenging, all in all good times.

>> No.6333956

Never played this but always thought it looked awesome from magazine screenshots.
It's probably because it's a licensed game by LJN that most people don't give it a try.

>> No.6334486
File: 3.84 MB, 2100x1524, hooked.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>reasoning
Is good game. You will play and like.

>> No.6334493

>>6332610
I played the game boy version as a kid

Good game too

>> No.6334819

>>6334486
Why play this when the arcade version is vastly superior?
Arcade Hook may be the most underrated beat-em-up ever.

>> No.6334882
File: 26 KB, 480x360, Not a bad game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The one and only.
All the hate surrounding this game is a meme born from YouTube idiots and circlejerk message board culture. At some point, Bubsy 3D became this target that people who think they know things about video games would shit on, and that hivemind distaste was extrapolated to all things Bubsy.
The first game was enjoyable, and is an above-average mascot platformer. The second game wasn't too bad either, but I don't think it was as good as OG Bubsy.
I'd agree that Bubsy 3D had awful controls, bland graphics, and terrible audio, but this was a PSX game that released what, two years before the Dual Shock hit the market? What 3D game with digital inputs didn't have tank controls? The main issue was the unforgiving platforming in combination with those tank controls. Tomb Raider came out a week prior and had humane platforming environments, and we all know how Mario 64 wrote the book on 3D movement, but that was only possible with a standardized analog controller that shipped with the console.

Basically, Bubsy 3D was a victim of an age where 3D movement was a work in progress, and was overshadowed by titles that executed those controls better. Decades later, zoomers watched some YouTube videos about how awful that game is, and decided that ALL Bubsy games were bad, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

>> No.6334909
File: 103 KB, 256x300, spycraft-box.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNw4fTTzLCA

Realistic and brilliantly written spy-thriller adventure game. Multilayered story, worldbuilding based on real life CIA and KGB work, deep characters, puzzles, detective work, cold war politics, decisions, great music and of course comfy 90s FMV. It can be bit overwhelming at first, confusing too if you're low IQ. But once you get into it you're in for some good times. It has hilariously bad combat and you get to actually shoot people, but 99% of the game is about big brain puzzle solving.

>> No.6334915

>>6334882
>The first game was enjoyable, and is an above-average mascot platformer.
a below-average platformer, like dozens others in that generation.