[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 500x415, tumblr_m69rtipdPQ1rztwvuo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
632509 No.632509 [Reply] [Original]

Why can't we have more games like this, except not in outer fucking space

>> No.633834

>>632509
We can't because they had no fucking idea of what to do with this series, as shown by the genre and tone shifts between the first title and the second.

And then jesus christ, the third. Holy shit.

>> No.633840

Was pretty fucking good, probably enjoyed it more than Resi at times

>> No.633897

I've beaten most RE games(with the exclusion of Code Veronica) and I just started playing this one. I think I might be doing something wrong, because these fucking raptors keep murdering the shit out of me. And it's like, I can't run past them sometimes because they'll just come through the door(which is pretty cool, even if it gets me killed). Should I just be killing every raptor I come across? I'm just worried about conserving ammo. Any tips? I don't want to play on Easy, either.

>> No.634152

>>632509
I had nearly forgotten about Regina anon?

That was a cool romp.

>> No.634270

>>633897
Don't they just respawn if you kill them?

>> No.634319

It seems a lot of people are tired of the fixed camera angles, unfortunately.

>> No.634335

I bought a copy of ebay. I am not sure what the average CD condition would be, but sometimes if I go back to the title screen via select, the title screen sometimes ends up corrupted.

And there are two things that I forgot about this game that just annoy me:

>unskippable cutscenes
>apparently no analog controller support

>> No.634343

>>632509
>except not in outer fucking space

You don't like fun do you?

>> No.634415

>>634270
I believe so?

>> No.634571
File: 429 KB, 642x957, PSM_Cover___Dino_Crisis_by_JPMartin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633897

Unlike Resident Evil, there's a huge emphasis on conserving ammunition and making very big use of the mixing system (which I suggest you familiarize yourself with). Essentially--if you're worried about expending too much ammo, you should invest in making tranquilizers (you can find the right mixing material in the green wall boxes), or understand the layout of the area (as you backtrack a lot in certain places) coupling this with the laser gates, it all comes down to how quick you can think yourself through something.

>> No.634608

>>634343
Dino Crisis 3 sucked balls, space or not.

>> No.634621

The Evil Within might at least be of a similar enough style that you can enjoy it.

>> No.634980

Dino Crisis is the best AITD/RE style survival horror, by far.

FYI the PC (and maybe Dreamcast too) versions have higher difficulty modes (but I actually find it easier because you're also given more powerful ammo)

>> No.634990

>>633834
>We can't because they had no fucking idea of what to do with this series, as shown by the genre and tone shifts between the first title and the second.
It's not because "they" didn't know what to do. The games had wildly different directors.

The Original was directed by Shinji fucking Mikami (Resident Evil, Resident Evil 4, God Hand).
The sequel was directed by Shu Takumi (Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick).
The third game did not exist, I hope that we agree, gentlemen.

>> No.634995

>>634621
>The Evil Within might at least be of a similar enough style that you can enjoy it.
Except it's being developed by Silikon Knights people. The people who developed lasting masterpieces like "Too Human" and the timeless "Unreal Engine Lawsuit"."

>> No.635000

>>633834
>We can't because they had no fucking idea of what to do with this series, as shown by the genre and tone shifts between the first title and the second.

That's not true, a shift to a more action based game for the sequel is more common than you think.

Think the shift from the first Alone In The Dark to the 2nd, or from the first Parasite Eve to the 2nd. DC2 also got released after Resident Evil 3 which was also a shift to something more action based.

It's the Alien -> Aliens syndrom.

>> No.635690

>>633897
dont focus so much on killing the raptors, youre better off using tranquilizers as theyll just respawn

also use laser gates the most to your advantage, one trick is to stand behind a laser gate, wait until the raptor hits it trying to kill you so he falls on your back and hell stay on the floor for about 2 seconds, youll get a large window to get to the other room

otherwise just learn to maneuver around the raptors and tranq them

>> No.635807

I really like both Dino Crisis 1 and 2, but i think 2 has struck a deeper chord with me. I guess DC1 suffered from some major repetition, most of the rooms looked the same and the puzzles were also very similar (that DDK thing), with few exceptions. DC2 completely ditched the horror, but the end product was much more enjoyable, because there were much more varied areas, a better sense of progress and qt 3.14 Paula.
Also that fucking ending jesus christ, my mind was violated

>> No.637892

>>635807
Ditto.
Both games are excellent despite being so different. DC1 was a good variation of the classic RE formula with truly small amounts of ammo (RE1 still has shit tons of bullets laying around) and very nice looking 3D environments. The puzzles were a bit annoying at times, though (DDK was easy, but those cranes and stack switching puzzles were just in the way).

DC2 on the other hand was all action, but goddamn it is satisfying. Serving as a prototype of DMC upgrade/shop systems plus combos, counters and other elements that blend well (It would've been nice if the mixing elements remained, though).
Switching between Dylan and Regina also added some variety and good teamwork sections, and the puzzles were thankfully less invasive.
However, FUCK that compsognathus. The first time I played through, that part kept me stuck for a while.
All the extras were nice as well - I recently uncovered my old 10+ year old save file from an old memcard I thought was dead. Had a blast on the Coliseum.
Capcom did things right on the extras, adding Rick, Gail and even the duel mode which is pretty interesting. Too bad there are no extra outfits...

Sadly DC3 had to fuck it all up. Dino Stalker did continue off from DC2's cliffhanger, but good luck getting that.
I just can't believe how much they screwed it with 3. Which sadly means that a DC4 is pretty much impossible.

Now I'm going for another round of running around with the Solid Cannon firing while I get insane amounts of points.