[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.63 MB, 3264x2448, vintage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6323943 No.6323943 [Reply] [Original]

Rising prices, jealousy, emulation, etc?

/discuss

>> No.6323950

It's just /v/ refugees feeling alienated for someone picking on them for emulating/coping over only having emulation while living in 6'x6' rooms with no beds.

>> No.6323951

Because they talk about stuff that isn't really related to playing the games.

>> No.6323964

it's literally just hoarding.

>> No.6323971

>>6323943
I had the revelation when the Dreamcast came out that I'd been paying $40+ for a little bit of infinitely reproducible software encased in junky plastic for too many years already, and have never been tempted to buy a game again (unless I want to directly help the developer or am gifting.) It's like buying bottled water when you have a potable well, some people just have a decadent mentality or get a little hit of serotonin when they throw their money away.

>> No.6323974

/vr/ isn't one person, and also emukids need to learn the difference between collecting and just owning stuff from back in the day

>> No.6323996

>>6323943
if you're buying games you want to play that's one thing, but if you're buying a game just because you don't have it, then you're a doofus.

someone else might really want that game and now there is one less copy for them to find. also you're helping drive the price up for someone else who actually wants to play the cart, not just have it on a shelf.

essentially i feel people can do what they want with collecting. it's not illegal to be an asshole. just don't get mad when i call you an asshole.

>> No.6324007

>>6323996
If somebody wants to play the game he should get a piracy device.

>> No.6324021

It's really fucking stupid because no one loves EVERY game released for a given system, and no one has the capability (or the desire) to play hundreds of different games to completion. That dick in the picture in the OP, probably hasn't played half of those games to completion in the time since he has bought them.

We should be doing what the Japanese do, buy one or two games second hand, play them to completion and then sell them back to the shop, rinse and repeat.

>> No.6324067

>>6324021
I think that's a store.

>> No.6324068

>>6324021
>That dick in the picture in the OP, probably hasn't played half of those games to completion in the time since he has bought them.
The games all have price tags. That's clearly a store.

>> No.6324073

Rising prices. I just started collecting last July and its rough spending $100 per game but if I don't act now it'll just get worse.

>> No.6324078

>>6324073
It depends on the system. Pre-gen 5 stuff is dropping in demand so the prices as slowly falling. N64 and Gamecube games are still on the rise, though.

>> No.6324084

>>6323943
The prices for retro games are absolutely asinine. I refuse to pay for more than what the game went for back then, that's my golden rule. I only collect PC games now.

>> No.6324085

>>6324078
SNES prices are dropping?

>> No.6324243

>>6324084

Are you also adjusting for inflation? It's pretty significant over 25-30 years now.

>> No.6324264

I hope hoarders and resellers all get corona and that the market crash harder than comic book collecting.

>> No.6324273

>>6324085
>SNES prices are dropping?
And Genesis and NES but not on the big popular or rare titles.

>> No.6324279

>>6324073
You're only realistically spending that much if you're an idiot. If you NEED to have every "rare" game, Cib and all that, then yeah. But a lot of common shit for most platforms is loose carts or loose CDs for anywhere between $5-$40. Not really unreasonable at all.

Unless you're an even bigger idiot and collecting for a platform where everything is expensive, rather than just grabbing collections. Like the Neogeo. The PS2 and NG CD are both affordable alternatives to shelling out $100+ for each game.

Honestly, it's just fags like you, who are an idiotic collector yourself, that bitches about collectors. People who buy games just to play them DGAF and act more intelligently. Less bitching for the most part too.

>> No.6324334

>>6324279
Why are you mad? Good games are expensive everywhere. I don't particularly seek out rare games but a lot of games I find fun happen to be rare. Like God Hand on PS2 or Mars Matrix on Dreamcast.

I'm fine with loose carts. I'm not fine with loose cds.

>fags like you
No u
>bitching
I expressed minor disappointment. I acknowledge that collectors got there first. Oh well. I can bitch and make up conspiracy theories or plant a tree now etc. so I'm not paying $300.

>> No.6324339

>>6324273
Snes prices aren’t dropping from what I can tell, been a collector for over a decade

>> No.6324349

Getting into arcade hardware has made consumer stuff seem real cheap.
Y'all have it better than you think.

>> No.6324350

Define "collecting." If you're grabbing up indiscriminate games and putting them on shelves just to collect dust and never see the light of day again, then you probably suffer from some form of OCD. Collecting things you actually put to use is perfectly acceptable.

I think the resentment is directed toward people who buy games they have no intention of playing even once, because this practice obviously lends to scarcity and thus drives up prices for those of us who want to get use out of these same games. Sure, there's the route of emulation, but there are valid arguments for wanting to play games on real hardware as well.

>> No.6324374

>>6323943
>jealousy
This is the cope used by collectors when I point out that they do not even play video games.

>> No.6324375

Literal /v/-zoomers who are triggered that people own physical media, so they make up some imaginary boogeyman that simultaneously hoards unreleased games and has thousands of sealed games in their soýboy game room.

Emufags should be banished from this board, emulation is not /vr/, and no one cares to know what a random fetus deems to be “worthless plastic xDd waste of monni”.

>> No.6324387

>>6324007
what if he wants to read the manual and it's a game that doesn't have a manual scan? I run into that with some lesser-known GB releases.

>> No.6324390

>>6323950
This, but, I only own shit from my childhood and a few others I should have picked up but didn't. Collectors are such a small demographic, the problem is that the stock is just so low. I think emulation can dominate this demographic I the near future because of the inaccessibility.

>> No.6324394

>>6324085
Yeah, they've been very, very slowly dropping for the past half decade. Most of them are a good 5-10 dollars lower than they used to be and still falling.

>> No.6324396

>>6324021
>>6324067
>>6324068

to be fair to our brain-addled, knee-jerk reacting friend, some game collectors actually buy and use store display units for their private collection. NintendoAge pre-death had a number of collectors whose basements were like a weird fusion of game room and store space, or people posting about buying Wii U branded shelving units to go with their Wii U in-store demo units.

>> No.6324402

>>6324334
>godhand sells for 80 bucks on ebay now

Funny, I threw all that out years ago. Probably had more valuable games than just godhand too. I figure it's their loss though, if you really wanted godhand you could just buy the PS3 home release or hack your PS2 and download the iso.

>> No.6324403

>>6324375
What does emulation have to do with anything? Just get the fucking flashcart, you consumerist hipster.

>> No.6324473

>>6323943
Because you think /vr/ is the angry poor bandwagoners who make a lot of noise?

>> No.6324538

>>6323943
i used to collect video games. its cool to look at but after a while you realize that you dont play 90 percent of them and they just take up space. now i just keep a small amount of 10-15 games per system that i actually like to play.

>> No.6324552

>>6324387
Ask somebody to scan it for your and everybody else.

>> No.6324606

>>6324538
Why would you buy games you dont want to play?

>> No.6324629

>>6323964
>>6324538
This. It's the combination of the obverse pride, man-childishness, consumerism, devoting living space to something that could fit on a digital storage medium in your pocket, etc.
If you play them, do that and maybe put them out of sight when they're not in use, but in that case might as well just get a flash cart so it's mostly irrelevant.

>> No.6324635

>>6324629
>maybe put them out of sight when they're not in use

But why? Having your games out in the open is just as incidental as having your book collection out in the open. It's not like people tend to stuff media in a closet somewhere. Book cases and wall shelves are more practical for storing frequently accessed items.

>> No.6324669

>>6323943
A lot of hardwarefags have moved onto flashcarts. Collectors can't hide behind the lag and accuracy argument anymore.
Collectors have really flaky arguments like "it feels better" or "It looks nice on the shelf". And when they're challenged to explain further, I always hear "What are you, poor?" or "Jealous zoomer?".

>> No.6324716 [DELETED] 

4chan is one of the few social sites it's even possible to browse on a third hand fifteen year old device so there are a disproportionate amount of not just poor but absolutely penniless people. Even furthermore, emulating retro video games is one of the few interests on 4chan that can be participated with these sort of devices and zero dollars further investment. Once that type of miserable hateful people discovered /vr/ it was all over no matter how hard I tried to fight it.

>> No.6324751

Collectors are morons not because I'm jealous or because I want to play their games. They spend ridiculous amounts of money and time to obsess over shit they won't use - going on YouTube wars (Pat NES punk vs 8-bit guy) over stupid shit like the integrity of NES labels.
Or they will act as if this depreciating crap adds value to their life - making entire YouTube series of their dumb smug face next to some disc rotten CD - talking about hidden gems with the fake authority gained not from having played the shit, but from regurgitating some lists they found online (Metal Jesus).
But these people are too dense to understand that having a basement full of plastic does not make them cool, it makes them delusional.
You also have extreme validation seeking behavior on outlets such as r/retrogaming or other system specific subs. Before these types of places existed, you simply didn't have this type of collector. In the 90s a collector might have been happy with every Capcom SNES game, and would have played them all. But after red-dit came into popularity, you've got these ridiculous hoarders, with every retro related sub taken over by photos of cartridges and hauls. You don't see much of that on /vr because we don't have karma or likes, and they're more likely to be called a huge faggot for their no-substance insta-gram bullshit. Basically, these people are narcissists.
They have personality issues, and are wasting their lives on bullshit instead of developing as adults with an appreciation for games. It's easy to see what faggots they are, but they're too dense to have that amount of self-awareness.

>> No.6324781
File: 24 KB, 473x400, 9e12dc263318af5b1069ce4034bb0bbf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
I think a lot of it is jealousy. You see it in a lot of other forums on this site too where the have nots seethe all day while they act like they don't care. Same is true with the people on here that bash collectors or scream emulation all day long.

There is obnoxious collectorism, but for the most part it's just people wanting to own the /vr/ they have nostlgia for or want to try out. Who wouldn't want to own the games they love?

>> No.6324790

>>6324635
>I'm proud of my 25 year old toys and like showing them off as if they are good books!
Sad.

>> No.6324797

>>6324538
those three mayrio carts you overpaid for on ebay and did a yt with your tween "gangsta" bullshit aren't a collection zoomie

>> No.6324824

>>6324790
Damn you guys really do have an absolute seething hatred toward physical objects.

>> No.6324858

>>6323943
It's not /vr/ only, it's all around. I remember it was around 2014 when saltiness in my country's RG community went full retard.

Most people were either too late, too unintelligent or ungenerous making deals, too narrow-minded collecting, too anxious... amassing a nice collection takes much more time than money, and a good amount of acceptance of your context.

I've been buying most of my collection for pennies since 2008. Thrifted/flead so hard now I've been well off flipping stuff for the past six years. Yeah, it takes space... like every other physical shit you plan to do. I guess I'm not just interested in the games as entertainment, or as an artform, but in every little detail of that culture I happened to experience as a kid and share it with as much people as possible. Go browse a stack of carts, flip some mags, hook up a console. I remember I went to gen-xers homes in the early 2000s and they shared rock culture with the young fellas. It's time boomers share game culture with the cool zoomies that happen to be around.

>> No.6324860
File: 961 KB, 1090x947, PicsArt_04-08-05.24.42.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324073
and places like eBay or 3rd party seller sites just let sellers sit there indefinitely rent-free with their assrape prices, so the people who are on the fence on selling see that and will hold on to their "hidden gems" and the listings where people are actually trying to sell the game and not just show off their collection go for a fraction of the perverted prices, even though they're still being influenced to inch towards the assrape prices because budding collectors want the "best deal" and the squatters will just raise the price even more. I bought Michigan: Report From Hell last year for $60ish and it felt like a ripoff, now people are paying $200 for it!(if the transactions were genuine, we'll never know), just because it's a SURVIVAL HORROR game and cult of console gaming demands they need to be some of the most expensive games on ps2.

>> No.6324881

>>6324751
This. These fucks don’t even play games anymore. Recently seen an episode of MJR where he put Mirror’s Edge in his first person shooter games. Wtf?

>> No.6324896

>>6324881
I've watched a few episodes from that crowd, and it seems like they have no taste at all. Obviously everybody likes different games and has different tastes but it's like they just say dumb shit and consider everything "super fun" and "worth picking up".

>> No.6324904
File: 411 KB, 616x462, RADIANT_SILVERGUNconceptart-616x462.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All I can say is everyone's different. For me owning real carts doesn't do much for me because flashcarts exist but if I had boxes and manuals for my old games that would be bliss. In my opinion that's something you can't replicate the feeling of by looking at a pdf scan online.

I think the idea of "collecting" pisses people off because for the most part it's driven by blatant materialism. Sure, collections can be cool if they are unique and customized but there are those people who cross the line and just want to have things for the sake of having them. There will also always be people who gain a sense of self-worth and superiority over others in what they own, and that's just life, but I think it's natural for people to frown upon that.

>> No.6324909

>>6324824

Welcome to 2020 /vr/.

>> No.6324910

>>6324860
Being from Michigan, that game sounds interesting. Probably didn't realease in the US because most know that Michigan is just an average midwestern state + Detroit.

>> No.6324935

>>6324635
I agree as long as it's done in a practical way. I just shudder when people go out of their way to "display" their stuff. Games on a shelf is fine, but so many people do shit like hang controllers on the walls, stack boxes everywhere, toys all over the place. I would have no problem if it was done in a neat and tasteful way but it never is.

>> No.6324940
File: 35 KB, 625x626, 891.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324629
>man-childishness

A flash-cart loaded with ROM's catered for age 6+ isn't any different by that definition.

>consumerism

In contrast to piracy?

>devoting living space

A vertical shelf mounted to the wall? We're not talking about a pool table here.

>put them out of sight when they're not in use

Why would you give a shit were someone puts them in their private dwelling anyway?

You're really grasping anon.

>> No.6324954

>>6324935
It's only Youtubers who do this.

>> No.6324982

>>6323943
Hoarding

>> No.6325104

>>6324790
Not an argument.

>> No.6325198

>>6324904
This is a good reason for a keeping a collection, and a lot of reasonable people collect vinyl for the cover art knowing full well that (mixing being equal) an analog set-up is inferior to a digital one. What pisses people off are the collectorfags who invent ridiculous copes in their head to justify their (relatively) irrational behavior.

>> No.6325217

>>6323964
This must be a zoomer mentality. When I was a kid, people collected things all the time. Baseball cards, stamps, coins, all sorts of things. I collect games, but I also have a substantial library that I add to. I could stick all my games on an emulator and all my books on a Kindle, but that's not the joy of having a collection or finding a much-wanted but difficult to obtain piece for your collection.

Somewhere along the way though, zoomers lost the ability to distinguish between collecting and hoarding.

>> No.6325270

>>6325217
If that's a zoomer mentality call me Fortnite and dab me right in the pussy because your lame form-over-function mentality is a (barely) living fossil.

>> No.6325286

>>6324751
I can't say it any better than this.

It's all plastic garbage that will end up in the ocean or a landfill someday. And most retro games fucking blow anyways.

>> No.6325298
File: 144 KB, 795x594, 1584329765808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6325217
>This must be a zoomer mentality
Pretty much is. Everything in their life is digital.

>> No.6325354

I only collect games and systems that I like.

>> No.6325397

I emulate then look for a physical copy after I beat it if I enjoyed the game and it's cheap enough. Spending $100+ on a cart is pointless to me, and I mostly buy it as a personal trophy for getting a 1CC in a shmup or beating a tricky game like Ninja Gaiden or w/e. Not much reason to do that either honestly, but I enjoy doing it and finishing whatever I buy first puts a limit on getting out of control with hoarding.

>> No.6325446 [DELETED] 

>>6325397
I think this is a really great approach to playing and collecting games.

>> No.6325509

>>6325286
>garbage that will end up in the ocean or a landfill someday

The Mona Lisa would have already been there but people who appreciated it have kept and preserved it many lifetimes since the first brush stroke.

>> No.6325537

>>6323943
Personally, I hate seeing clutter manchild display which makes up majority of /vr/ collection photos on the internet. They serve no purpose other than for epeen brandishing. Same reason why I stopped visiting /toy/. Collecting games you have special attachment to and replay is one thing, hoarding thousands of games for some kind of smug superiority should be discouraged.

>> No.6325553
File: 107 KB, 486x640, i67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I collect Ninetndo handhelds. Originally the goal was to have the top 100 games for each platform to have a library of games. My collection is not for collection's sake, I fully intend to play every game. However its much easier to acquire games than to complete them and while I might finish a game or two every month, I've acquired more in that time.

But why carts and not a flash? Well, there's a few things that a card can't replicate, like Drill Dozer's rumble pack or Boktai's light-sensing diode. Also, as a handheld collection it doesn't take up much room and all of my games can fit in a suitcase. Finally I simply enjoy the interaction with physical media.

At the same time I have a couple of mini consoles that I've dumped their entire game libraries on. So So why do I emulate the console but not the handheld? Mostly because of space. My small SNES collection took up as much space as my entire handheld collection. Also I couldn't justify the price of expanding my library, where handheld carts are relatively affordable.

But I understand collecting. I used to collect rocks and stamps and Legos. I still collect toys. Its more about the hunt and the thrill of acquisition than the satisfaction of owning. You have to learn to set limits and earn to appreciate what you have rather than always be after the next thing.

>> No.6325580

>>6324858
>cool zoomies
you're implying there are any.

>> No.6325582

>>6325509
Doesn't really apply to things that have been created digitally then sold in mass quantities.

>> No.6325613

>>6324007
>piracy
The publisher doesn't earn any money from used sales of video games, why else do you think that game publishers and console makers are trying to stop that market.

>> No.6325626

Collecting in general is a pretty sleazy hobby unless you actually use what you're collecting, or the object you're collecting was made to be collected and has no function like a little figurine or something. Media is not meant to be hoarded and going unused.

I don't really think the emulation scene is much better when they chimp out on someone for emulating the wrong way or buying an "official emulator box"

>> No.6325690

>>6325582

Tell that to /v/. Let me know how that goes.

>> No.6325693

>>6325582
Not when the game is a service or has an always online requirement.

>> No.6325723

>>6323943
There is NOTHING wrong with buying games to play them.
But when people start buying games just to have them, that's fucked up.

>> No.6325814

>>6324374
>they do not even play video games
This is the cope used by poorfags who are jealous of collectors games they want to own but can’t afford.

>> No.6325820

>>6325814
All these rich fags don't have any children, fuckin' CIA conspiracy, I tell you what. Also, WHORES.

>> No.6325892
File: 1.44 MB, 292x292, 1585947532002.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6325217
>This must be a zoomer mentality.
Almost all the people I know kept 1 or two things from their childhood or a significant point in their lives in a closet or basement or something. All the zoomers just threw their shit out. They aren't sentimental in the slightest. They're going to end up only caring about their shitty job and consooming the latest shit. It's gotten worse every generation since the 50s but the zoomers are just on a whole new level.

>> No.6325896

Hoarding games is the new baseball cards. Nobody cares when they can just play whatever they want on a flashcart

>> No.6325907

>too old to understand modern games.
>too old to download an emulator illegally and get it to run on your computer.
there is just no place for me.

>> No.6325909
File: 37 KB, 840x630, ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324021
>gamestop employee.
>"I'll give you $3 instore credit. It's the best I can do brah"

>> No.6325913

>>6324073
fucking ridiculous. You'd think 10 year old games would be dirt cheap by now. The only dog shit systems like xbox have nearly cheap games.

>> No.6325918

>>6323943
Because i feel the need to devalue others who have what i cannot have.

>> No.6325945

>>6324021
>We should be doing what the Japanese do, buy one or two games second hand, play them to completion and then sell them back to the shop, rinse and repeat.
That probably works in Japan because the apartments are way too fucking small to collect games unless you're ultra wealthy and no one who has an interest in games also owns a house.

>>6324910
Michigan: Report from Hell is one of the goofiest horror games I've ever seen. It's pretty much a walking simulator were you play as a camera man who just films everything and makes decisions based on what you zoom the camera on. You can literally just watch a silent lets play on the game, and it's totally worth it because of how attrocious the writing is, how terrible the voice acting is (worse than Resident Evil and House of the Dead) and just all the retarded shit that happens.

Also the game takes place in Chicago, Illinois.

>> No.6325954

>>6325814
>jealous of collectors games they want to own but can’t afford
>OWN
Notice that you wrote OWN instead of play!
DO YOU EVEN PLAY VIDEO GAMES?

>> No.6325956 [DELETED] 

>>6325913
They are, the other guy is retarded. Tons of games are cheaper now than ever before.
Also Xbox isn't dogshit you nigger. However I concede you are a nigger.

>> No.6325982

>>6325909
>This person thinks sticker sealed copy of the most produced games on the NES 1,000,000 USD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KS9kRUCEVA

>> No.6325993

>>6325892
Look at their entertainment media these days:
>Mobile shit and anything with heavy IAP
>Games sold on online multiplayer who's servers become depopulated and go offline
>Blockbuster movies are mostly sequels and attempts at cinematic universes
>Bad reality TV when they were younger, decent shows on streaming services that often never finish their story before getting unceremoniously axed
>Social media giving the cheapest and most fleeting forms of entertainment
>Electronics from TVs to smartphones are basically disposable due to the market favoring shorter life for either higher performance, cheaper production, or both
>Easy digital purchases that don't carry over to new consoles
>Masses of games bought cheaply on Steam and then never touched
>Oversaturated collectable market that churns out mostly garbage (visit and GameStop, Hot Topic, etc. and look at the sheer amount of shit indefinitely available)
Everything is fleeting by design now, because corporations make more money if you treat it all like junk food.

I've also read that Zoomers are actually more frugal and financially minded because they grew up seeing recessions and student debt beat the shit out of millennials. This is probably another reason why they don't want to collect shit like we do.

>> No.6326000

Just general butthurt over supply/demand is all.

>> No.6326051

>>6325993
>Everything is fleeting by design now, because corporations make more money if you treat it all like junk food.
Not sure how much of this is new. It was already happening with Walmart. People would buy cheap shit from China that would fall apart in a few months then throw it out. Rather the internet it sped shit up exponentially. America was always converging to where it is now.
>I've also read that Zoomers are actually more frugal and financially minded because they grew up seeing recessions and student debt beat the shit out of millennials. This is probably another reason why they don't want to collect shit like we do.
Not sure about that. I was talking to a zoomer I knew the other day and he said the majority the kids he grew up with threw their lives away, but maybe zoomers who go to college are like this. In terms of being more frugal and financially minded. It's just America becoming more consolidated. Every generation is going to be poorer than the one before it.

>> No.6326069

>>6325104
Of course it's an argument. Books are relatable to many facets of people. You bring someone into your dwelling, they relate to selection of books. You can't say the same for 25 year old plastic toys.

>> No.6326071

>>6326069
I emulate all by books.

>> No.6326078
File: 771 KB, 970x545, 1585622002170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6326069
>Keeping books just so you can show off to guests
That's some hard core cringe. I like to read myself but it's like everyone else who reads is just doing it because they think it'll make them more sophisticated or some shit. As if reading some shit ass self-improvement book gives them an edge over other people in their 9-5 slave job.

>> No.6326096

>>6324751
Pat is such an autismo sperg lol. Why does he care what people do with their games? So what if someone replaces the labels? His argument is “what it the person sells it, it’s not fully original anymore”. Nobody cares as long as the actual PCB and maybe shell is authentic. Only weirdos who don’t actually play the games and just stick them in a box in a garage like he does care, because muh investment, even though NES prices are declining so unless he plans on selling now it’s not a good investment.

>> No.6326114

>>6325723
this and /thread

>> No.6326161

>>6325723
This. I'm always puzzled when I see pictures of people's walls of NES games, when really only 30 or so NES games are still enjoyable. Why own games if you're never going to play them?

>> No.6326182

i don’t despise people who collect physical cartridges. What i do hate are “retro” stores, resellers, youtubers and their dumb followers driving up prices. It’s a little annoying not to be able to play on actual hardware, but anything i don’t own the cartridge for, ill just emulate on my wii lol

>> No.6326183

>>6326161
>Why own games if you're never going to play them?
A lot of people who have the money to buy a $60 n64 game or some retarded shit like that, also spend half their lifetime wageslaving so you end up getting people buying a game they want to play but never being able to make time to play it. I have a really bad habit of buying games I really want to play and then it just sits in my backlog for a few years. Sometimes I'll pick up a game but it doesn't click the first few times and I'll put it back down for a while. A lot of my favorite games in the last few years were ones that didn't click with me at first but after trying them a few times it finally all came together. There's a lot of games were if I sold them when I put them down I'd end up buying them again at 4x what I sold them for when I tried them again or just never playing them again.

>> No.6326193

>>6324396
You suck my cock

>> No.6326205

>>6325580
I know a kid that is fascinated by games. I shared Cave Story with him. He loved it. We're getting old anon, we might as well be nice to the next generation.

>> No.6326217

When it comes to collecting, I think if it truly brings the person joy then there shouldn't be an issue unless the person is spending their money wildly and irresponsibly or doing that annoying buying two of something so somebody else does not get to enjoy the thing. When it comes to old games specifically, idk, I emulate and I'm content with that. I have no desire to use original hardware, I like using my SNES classic or playing on my PC with my comfy 360 controller. Some people might find these old cartridges and boxes beautiful and comforting and I would have to agree. These old boxes are beautiful. But the amount of money people spend of this stuff kind of scares me. Money which could have gone to so much else. I don't know any of these sorts of people personally so it's hard for me to judge. I like Figma and Nendoroids that are also expensive plastic but I find them beautiful and the fill me with joy so it could be like that for them.

>> No.6326254

>>6326183
>A lot of people

>I have a really bad habit of buying games I really want to play and then it just sits in my backlog for a few years

Psychological projection confirmed.

>> No.6326519

>>6326069
>he unironically takes up precious living space with books rather than owning every book one could need on a kindle or something
Hoarders.

>> No.6326536

>>6323943
Collectards are gay AF, massive losers and you should make fun of them constantly. That's all there is to it. Ironically this is also true for the "retroarch with shaders is technically better than original hardware because it has 0.0290ms less lag" crowd too. Just autists who care about anything but actually playing games

>> No.6326557

>>6323943
Even if I had the space and wasted every dollar I've even earned, I can't imagine myself wanting all of that junk. Nor could I imagine myself wanting to associate with anyone that would. Most of these hoarders barely qualify as functional, let alone normal. And the 'normal' ones collecting are mostly collecting for attention. So in the end, they're still people I don't want to associate with.

>> No.6326558

>>6323943
Reseller scum.
People who arn't real gamers.
Those who do it for retro cred.
>>6324606
Collectorfags who just want to show off.
>>6324751
I blame e-celebs like rolfe, matai, pat the nes punk, the fag with the parrot, etc.
>>6324860
Based
>>6325553
Contrarian.
>>6325909
Pawn shops jew people like Game$top.

>> No.6326560

>>6323943
To be honest I don't think there's nothing wrong with collecting.
But if someone tells you that you're a scum for emulating instead of buying original carts, I think that's uncalled for. For several consoles like the NES or the original Game Boy, emulation is pretty accurate for 99% of the time.
In other cases, using an everdrive on a console is just as legit and good as buying the actual cartridge. Imagine trying to buy Earthbound or Conker's Bad Fur Day

>> No.6326593

>>6326183
No, see, I'm not talking about people who buy games for cheap that they intend to play at some point. I'm talking about people that buy games for the sole purpose of having games. People who will buy any old shit because it's cheap. People who will buy games that they know are bad, with no intention of playing them, but buy it just to have them.
I can't comprehend that.

>> No.6326601

>>6323943
Games are meant to be played. Hoarding them is pointless. If you want to collect, go for it, but in return stop making posts crying about stuff being expensive, rare, or hard to get, or not high enough quality for the price.

This board is overrun with people who haven't played more than maybe a handful of top ten type stuff yet have massive collections of games they never touch.

>> No.6326617

>>6325945
>Also the game takes place in Chicago, Illinois.
What is up with the name then?

>> No.6326621

I'm sort of a collector, I began buying all good Gamecube games. Sure, it isn't retro, but why would I collect NES games when I have no emotional connection to it?
Helps that there aren't that many Cube games to begin with and the most expensive is still under 200 Eurodollars. But I don't really see the point buying stuff like Shrek fun cart racer just to have ALL the games. But maybe that's just the next step.
I also like them look good, so I bough 100 new original cases to switch out the old, ugly or scratched ones, but sealed or new is pretty lame imo since you can't grab them from the shelf, flick through the manual or just pop in the game and play it.

>> No.6326629

>>6326621
I've always wanted a copy of Cubivore since I saw it on Xplay back in the day. I better get on that. I have no interest in having a huge collection either, just selected games.

>> No.6326635

>jealousy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmx1jpqv3RA

>> No.6326667

>>6326629
Didn't came out in PAL regions, sadly.
Maybe the prices will fall again. Now all the 30 year old boomers are buying everything since it was the system of their youth, but in a few years, no one will give a fuck. But I could be wrong.

>> No.6326674

Is pricecharting.com good or are the prices just made up?

>> No.6326679

>>6326667
Doesnt look like SNES or N64 fell.

>> No.6326715

>>6325993
You make a lot of good points but you miss out on the emphasis on second hand experiences in the culture they consume.

Let's plays, reactions videos, instagram are all basically just time wasters that convince people that by seeing someone else do it, they've experienced it as well

>> No.6326745

>>6326254
Show me someone who can casually afford to casually blow +$60 on a retro game that isn't wage slaving 9-5, isn't a retired wage slave or isn't some rich kid zoomer who will end up as a wage slave.

>>6326593
((Who)) would want to hoard rare desirable items for no reason? (I kid)

>>6326617
Dude just watch a video of it or play it yourself. There's so much retarded shit like that game and it's really entertaining. The fact it's called Michigan but takes place in Illinois perfectly reflects just how fucking ass backwards everything is.

>> No.6326847

>>6326674
I use it all the time, it's quite reliable. All its doing is just taking sales data from specific items on ebay and amazon to establish a average value. I also like how it provides a graph for each item so you can see how the value of the item has changed over time.

>> No.6326871

>>6323943
The reaction here is what happens when you provoke a group of bitter poor people, hyper-logical nerds who don't understand tangibility, beauty or emotions, and dogmatic minimalists or anti-consumerists

>> No.6326892

>>6323964
No, that's not your issue with it, you fucks. You're all fucking mad that you need to pay appropriate prices.

If it was "just hoarding" why do you want to buy it in the first place? Don't give me that shit. You just want to gloat about getting a $200 for $2, stop lying through your teeth. If it was just hoarding you'd buy a flash cart and be done with it, and stop talking about people who collect physical media. It's jealousy, plain and simple.

>> No.6326918

>>6323943
I don't. I don't understand the people who hang onto unreleased cartridges and don't dump the ROM tho. They seem greedy.
I guess from their perspective it depends on how much money they wasted on it.

Collect whatever you want though. Your business. It does sorta dick up the pricing though.

>> No.6326921

>>6324350
>I think the resentment is directed toward people who buy games they have no intention of playing even once, because this practice obviously lends to scarcity and thus drives up prices for those of us who want to get use out of these same games
This is what I was trying to say.

>> No.6326959

>>6326918
>I don't understand the people who hang onto unreleased cartridges and don't dump the ROM tho.
Which ones are there?

>> No.6326963
File: 54 KB, 122x173, 1581121587530.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6326871

>> No.6326984

>>6326674
As a collector the prices on that site seem to be all over the place. They're usually either 30% too high or 30% too low most of the time.

That is the nature of the hobby though. There is a lot of price fluctuation every month it seems.

>> No.6327210

>>6326984
>30% too high or 30% too low

It's what the bot pulls from Ebay sold listings. It doesn't take into account that some sales are missing the instruction book or the box is minty mint, or a best-offer was accepted, etc.

>> No.6327221

>>6326745
>wage slaving 9-5

90% of US population

>retired wage slave

~9% of US population

>rich kid zoomer

1%

You hit every demo anon, no one else to hit. Self-employed fags are still wage-slaves, just pay themselves instead.

>> No.6327372

>>6323943
I can't speak for others, and I can understand wanting to own games that you really love. But what the hell is the point in building a giant collection? You aren't going to play most of that shit and you're over paying for it. Its like buying every blu ray because you want a giant wall of movies and paying double the price for them even though you aren't going to watch most of them. Almost every game on nes, snes, etc. is horrible unplayable bullshit. Why care about buying them?

>> No.6327374

>>6327372
also lots of arcade ports like Street Fighter are dogshit on every system when compared to mame

>> No.6327416
File: 6 KB, 232x218, images.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I used to be a collectorfag. I've sold off almost everything at this point because I realized I was on eBay chasing deals more than I ever played anything. I remember getting a few grails and by the time I sold them I barely had an hour's worth of time in gameplay even though I told myself that I was "complete" with those games.

I have to admit though, the itch comes back sometimes. It's like a fucking drug addiction. Lately I want to buy a Dreamcast and some Japanese PS2 titles.

>> No.6327463

>>6323943
poor children

>> No.6327467

>>6327416
>I've sold off almost everything at this point because I realized I was on eBay chasing deals more than I ever played anything
For this reason I'm fine overpaying a little bit as long as I get to play the game.

>> No.6327476

>>6323964
This... mostly
Collecting is totally fine, but if you collect to just collect and don't actually spend the time to enjoy the things you own, then it's simply just hording.

>> No.6327661

>>6324021
>>6325945
Having lived in Fukuoka for a year, I can confirm that this is generally the case. A lot of Japanese people "rent" the games by buying them, playing them, and then reselling them to the store for slightly less. One of my friends explained that while space is definitely a concern, which is partially why portable consoles do so well in Japan. But the bigger concern is money. A lot of young Japanese people, especially outside of Tokyo-Yokohama, are in precarious financial positions with unpredictable income. So this buy-resell pattern is a good way to play older games while burning minimal cash. It also keeps the market fairly liquid. Prices for vintage Japanese games never really get out of control; partially because there is a lack of spending power, partially because there is constant supply to match demand. Meanwhile, in North America, people buy to keep, and they have way higher and more predictable incomes.

My friend's apartment was small; 24 jo (~400 square feet), but by using the space well, he had enough space for a 27" Braun tube, a Super Famicom, Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation, with about 10-20 games for each. Plus all the other shit he owned.

>> No.6327690

>go on ebay
>look for game I want to buy
>spend about 10-40$ on a game
>play it for a week or 2
>repeat
It's really not that hard. You dont need to buy 10 games at once.

>> No.6327694

>>6327661
>rent" the games by buying them, playing them, and then reselling them to the store for slightly less.

Shit I've been doing that in the US since the 360/PS3 generation, I resell all my shit on eBay. There's a rare few games I ever want to replay and they all belong on /vr/ so I never miss what I sell.

>> No.6327763

>>6327690
>You dont need to buy 10 games at once.
Wh-what? But then how will I get Reddit karma?

>> No.6328018

>>6327694
Yeah, I'm much the same way with newer stuff. I bought PS3 games used, played through them, and then sold them for around the same price. I only kept a select few (Steins;Gate because nostalgia, World at War to play Nazi Zombies with friends). I sold my entire Wii, console and library, and 10 years later I don't really miss it that much. I wouldn't mind playing Super Mario Galaxy again but aside from that, no regrets.

I don't know why, but I feel compelled to hold on to my Gamecube, N64, SNES and their associated libraries. Even relatively mediocre games like Sonic Riders and South Park. There's just something about older games that draws me in, even when I bought them years after release.

>> No.6328127 [DELETED] 

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the most sickening form of mental illness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jljy8KtoXOU

>> No.6328182 [DELETED] 

>>6328127
>Scott the Wuz

Just to show you the world of S_o.Y we live in now, who is this faggot and why they are trying to push him so damn much, isnt bad enough that the fecal matter that is Screenwavemedia took over cinemassacre or that 95% of the ex-tgwtg twats went on the deep end?

>> No.6328196

>>6328127
I just started "collecting", I guess. If you count buying my all time favorites and ones I've always wanted (with no problems sending them back out if its shit). I wouldnt want this many games. Too much space taken up. What do people say when they see it? "Have you beaten this?" "No." "Have you beaten this? "No". "Hows this game?" "Its fucking shit."

>> No.6328201 [DELETED] 

>>6328127
But Scott is based

>> No.6328279

>>6326959
Iirc there was a super mario kart proto that wasn't released because the man who has it says that it will devalue it's price. You can even see some footage that he recorded, on the shittiest way possible tho (recording of a crt with a bad camera and shitty sound)

>> No.6328394

>>6327661
>So this buy-resell pattern is a good way to play older games while burning minimal cash.
now imagine if they discovered emulation

>> No.6328406
File: 155 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
I don't like people who collect and dont play what they have. I "collect" because it's a natural result of being into video games, while I feel like a lot of people only play games because they enjoy collecting them.
While I am not innocent of this as I have plenty of games I bought that I haven't gotten to yet or the select few I've gotten for the novelty of it I do feel like I dont waste money on plastic for the sake of shoving it onto a shelf.
People can do what they want with their money and occupy their properties with whatever they feel like in the end so I dont actually get resentful towards these people. Nothing that can't be pirated is rare enough to warrant whining about hoarding.
The only collectors I'm jealous of are the rich guys who have full arcades in their garages.

>> No.6328428

>>6328018
>I wouldn't mind playing Super Mario Galaxy
It takes about 10 minutes to hack a Wii and put the game on a SD card, mongoloid zoomer.

>> No.6328710

Will PS3 or Xbo360 games ever be "collectibles" in your opinion?
It feels like all this digitalisation somehow destroyed that and the last games "worthy" to collect were from gen 6

>> No.6328718

>>6328710
The only worthy collectibles from 7th gen are obscure Wii games

>> No.6328767

>>6328710
I agree. What isnt talked about is how many games from that generation shipped completely fucked and the day 1 patch was actually the release build. The game is sent to disc printing before its finished. When those online services go not only will you lose your digital copy but the release build of the physical.

I hope that some brave soul is archiving the patches for preservation sake but if you need to patch an iso and hack your console to run the game your discs are literal shelf ornaments.

>> No.6328775

>>6328767
>literal shelf ornaments
Described collectors of sealed games in three words.

>> No.6328846
File: 31 KB, 750x500, wd-passport-59f8f137aad52b0010416102.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943

I have all the games.

>> No.6328851 [DELETED] 

>>6328201
He's boring and a poser zoomer that reads wiki articles aloud. The only reason people watch him are because his audience is full of gay men who want to fuck him.

>> No.6328916

holy fuck, I know that photo. it's an old game store that closed down a few years ago in my city.

>> No.6329597

>>6328767
>I hope that some brave soul is archiving the patches for preservation sake but if you need to patch an iso and hack your console to run the game your discs are literal shelf ornaments.

x360 going to be a bloodshed whenever MS decides to stop supporting lol

>> No.6329804

>>6328428
You missed the part where I mentioned that I sold my console, you ape

>>6328710
I would bet that the PS3 ends up being more collectible than the Xbox 360, because there was less of an online focus (since PSN sucked). But as >>6328767 alluded to, it's tougher to justify collecting a library of games that relied on patches to fix stuff that really should have been dealt with before release. Assuming people are rational, I don't really see the Wii going anywhere, because it was a just an iterative improvement over the Gamecube in terms of graphics, and the motion controllers were glitchy and inaccurate. But then again, just as millennials have bid up the prices of old games and consoles from their youth, I can see the zoomers doing the same thing with the Wii despite all its faults.

Now is not a bad time to collect for the PSP and the DS, if you're not into hacking or TT cards.

>> No.6329806

I want that pacman mini arcade. Looks nice.

>> No.6329827

>>6323943
I think its more of an overtone that I have grown with the hobby.
>Rising prices
Was never a problem with me, I have more then enough jewish confetti.
>Jealousy
I had a collection, gave most of it to my nieces and nephews and some really close friends. Anyone who is a "collector" now adays is either some eceleb jack ass or just some dudes trying to remember their childhood. I personally had an amazing child hood and an even more amazing adulthood so I have no nostalgia longings.
>Emulation
Well I am more of a PC gamer so as for console gaming the only real consoles I had was Sega Genesis, Pc Engine and the Super Nintendo. So I think I have some roms and emulators stored somewhere but not too worried about it.

There is no real discussion though, Just play some fucking old video games, they are great.

>> No.6329863

>>6329827
>Just play some fucking old video games, they are great
Not that great if as you say people want the physical games only for nostalgia. When something's great, unless you're a passionless simple minded type, you're willing to put in some time and money to experience it in the best feasible way. That's why I have physical games, and I assume the reason why a lot of other people do. You sound like an empty-headed faggot, so I don't expect you'd understand

>> No.6329874

>>6329863
>calling someone and empty headed faggot for no reason besides manchild rage.
Look at this fucking child and laugh at his "video game" collection that no one gives a shit about.

>> No.6329882

>>6329804
>it was a just an iterative improvement over the Gamecube in terms of graphics, and the motion controllers were glitchy and inaccurate
Because people thought this is precisely why Wii games will become collectable.

>> No.6329885
File: 274 KB, 500x389, linebeck-san.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6329863

>> No.6329889

>>6326078
Now you're making assumptions about motives. Keeping books on display as conversation pieces is as old as, well, books. Coffee table books? Yeah you can sure "show off" your deep intellectual views of the world's best beaches. And that's exactly the same as displaying your collection of fucking Secret of Evermore and Ice hockey carts.

>> No.6329891

>>6329882
What the fuck was Nintendo doing with the GameCube anyways?

>> No.6329898

>>6329889
>Now you're making assumptions about motives.
Based on IRL experience.
>And that's exactly the same as displaying your collection of fucking Secret of Evermore and Ice hockey carts.
I don't have my games on display.

>> No.6329913

>>6329804
I am building up my Wii right now. Nintendo had a no patch policy and it has to s of cool games, I wont make the same mistake I made in the past. Better get Fragile Dreams and the Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns pack soon.

>> No.6329919

>>6329874
>his "video game" collection that no one gives a shit about.
I do or I wouldn't have it. You may only do anything to impress other people, but that's because you're an empty-headed faggot

>> No.6329949

>>6329919
u mad bro?

>> No.6329951

>>6325217
You collected things YOU liked. The problem these days is that faggots are hording things based on the advice of asshole youtubers telling them about games that are twice their age.

>> No.6329983

>>6329951
>based on the advice of asshole youtubers telling them about games that are twice their age

Never read a more accurate sentence in my life.

>> No.6329984

>>6329983
Arent most retro gamers in their 30s and up?

>> No.6329985

>>6329949
ya bro

>> No.6329991

>>6326635
Oh good god, what terrible voice acting

>> No.6329994

>>6329984
I'd say starting late 20s, early 30s. I'm 20 and I've been collecting this shit since it was real cheap. I have some friends who are younger than I am that do so, too, but a couple of them literally just follow what some YouTubers say.

>> No.6330003

>>6329994
I'm 32 and I just started. Kept my consoles but sold all the games.

>> No.6330013

>>6328710
There will be some obligatory rare ones but I just dumped all my ps3 games at the thrift store the last time I moved. I'll be shocked if some turnaround happens and Uncharted 2 sells for more than 5 dollars. There will be some trace amounts of nostalgiafags as ever but it seems like the supply is dramatically higher for most things over the cartridge and cd era. Like others said the patch issues will probably be a nightmare, and necessitate wading into autistic modding community pools just to play things out of the box. It's also fair to wonder how many 360's and PS3's will even work in 20 years, I can see functional systems being the real collectors item, phat PS3's especially. A few of the games will probably get a notable price jump but it wasn't worth holding on to all of them to see if any are lotto winners when even in the best case scenario it only goes up to $80-$100.

>> No.6330031

>>6323943
worst case scenario it's scammers trying to out-price each other on useless goods

best case scenario it's literally just nostalgia and cringe-tier "make video games great again" self-induced suffering over mass-produced "culture"

remember that every single piece of data on all those shelves can be stored in a 15cm wide sd card

>> No.6330071

>>6330031
MicroSD and SD cards stop being cost-effective and performance-effective, really, after 256gb and the amount of disk-based games on the far shelves looks to clock in above that amount. You’d be better off getting a SSD on sale or just finally putting together that NAS you’ve been meaning to all these years.

>> No.6330158

>>6330013
>It's also fair to wonder how many 360's and PS3's will even work in 20 years

Fun fact: the Xbox 360's UI will only allow you to set the clock up to December 29, 2025.

From what I've seen, the PS3 seems to be pretty reliable. Some of the fat ones have issues, but I've never heard of anything going wrong with the Slims and Super Slims. And even the fats had nothing on the scale of the Xbox 360. I just don't ever really seeing either of these becoming super collectible though. This generation is when we saw the beginning of the current AAA formula as well as the "ship now, patch later" mentality. The games are too similar to one another, and to their counterparts on the 360. There's nothing really unique about them anymore, with some notable exceptions. Also, retro games are collectible because they are timeless in the sense that they're the same now as they were 20 years ago. But there are a lot of PS3 and 360 that will be utterly gutted by the removal of the online component. This includes your generic shooters as well as cool, unique games like LittleBigPlanet.

Wii is probably the best bet from a collecting standpoint.

>> No.6330175

i had a collection going from snes to late ps3, the day i finally sold it all was one of the best days of my life

>> No.6330198
File: 30 KB, 800x600, 12629-26482-19210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324073
HAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK SYSTEM ARE YOU BUYING FOR AT 100 PER GAME

>> No.6330232

>>6324273
>>6324339
SNES prices are dropping in real terms. They plateaued in nominal terms around 2014-2015, and they've been staying the same ever since. But taking inflation into account, prices have fallen about 9% in the past 5 years.

>> No.6330269

>>6330232
Are you basing it on pricecharting.com? I think the proliferation of bootlegs has thrown off the average

>> No.6330292

>>6330175
>snes
>ps3

>the day i finally sold it all was one of the best days of my life

lol

>> No.6330338

>>6323943
Hoarding.

>> No.6330353

>>6330269
No, just personal observation. Nothing super scientific. But that's an interesting point about bootlegs. I think they've ruined collecting far more than anything else. Back in 2010, there was no such thing as a pirated Super Nintendo game, at least not in the West. Pirated PS2 and Xbox games were everywhere, but they were dirt cheap and instantly recognizable. Starting about 5 years ago, bootleg carts suddenly appeared everywhere, and more worryingly, they were being passed off as authentic. Whenever there's a buck to be made by pirating desirable goods, you can be sure Johnny Chinaman is going to find a way to take advantage of it.

>> No.6330385

>>6326558
>rolfe
You take that back, AVGN is a god

>> No.6330416

>>6323943
I just get pictures of weird 35 year old fat manchildren that are stuck in their childhood because of abuse or failure to succeed at adulthood and it saddens me they display their coping mechanism to the world and it lowers their chances of getting laid, nothing wrong with collecting though, people buy the dumbest shit with their money

>> No.6330439

>all this empty cartridge space
>I'll stick the price tag right on the label so everyone can see it

>> No.6330472

>>6330416
>weird 35 year old manchildren
Based

>> No.6330530

>>6330416
projection

>> No.6330563

>>6330013
>>6330158
>>6328710

360s have to be the most unreliable modern consoles ever built. The 2 consoles I ever had (one was the first core model, one a slim model) never lasted more than about 4 years, after that I was totally done with xbox. There's no way those things will last 20+ years.

>> No.6330608

>>6330530

This.

>> No.6330620

Why do people complain about prices? They're rare collectible items at this point that are readily available for free digitally via emulation.

>> No.6330646

A problem that the internet and this board specifically has is that most people think in extremes. Retards here think if you like collecting games that you are collecting every single game ever made for every console.

>> No.6330652
File: 2.16 MB, 3170x1711, sega_saturn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sour grapes?

If you really love gaming, you should always feel a level of discomfort that your game collection is just some intangible collection of rom files sitting on your hard drive next to your porn folder.

Good games deserve a place on the shelf.

>> No.6330671

>>6330652
Any tips for someone just starting out?

>> No.6330679

>>6323971
same but with the playstation once i discovered the double swap trick (you can run copies on an unmodified playstation like you can a dreamcast, it's just a tiny bit tricker than putting the disc in a turning the console on)

>> No.6330680

>>6330671
Buy games you like or are interested in.

>> No.6330709

i'm fine with and frequently play games in emulators, even if i own the system it's on
i have nothing at all against collecting games, and i do like owning the original media, even if i don't care whether or not i'm playing directly from that media

also, i think there's a difference between collecting games you like, and collecting games just to fill some other desire such as owning every game for a particular console, while i don't disagree with the latter, i also don't see much of a purpose for it. at least it's good from a preservation standpoint

>> No.6330765
File: 67 KB, 594x411, 129811597.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6330709
>at least it's good from a preservation standpoint

It belongs in a museum

>> No.6330767

>>6323943
Rising prices are sadly an inevitability because of supply & demand, plus the increasing awareness of then obscure games and boomers/millennials getting access to disposable income.
I've never been jelly of a collectorfag ever. A little envious of SAT/DC collectors sometimes because I had a dark time in my life where I had to sell off a chunk of my collection to make ends meet, but that's about it.
I'm indifferent about emulation, and feel no way in particular if a person prefers emulation, FPGA, or original hardware on an LCD, CRT or PVMeme.

The only groups I hate are: scalperfags, consoomers, and hoarders.
Scalpers are self-explanatory.
Consoomers because of buying shit solely for sake of buying it with absolutely no intent to use or even sell for a modest profit.
Hoarders because they're by far the most autistic of the bunch for being gatekeepers of games that will end up being lost to time if not dumped.

>> No.6330775

>>6330767
the only part of collecting i actually don't like is if someone gets a hold of something that has no public dump, and doesn't get it dumped
otherwise who gives a shit, let them waste their money on games they don't play

>> No.6330807

>>6330671
Try games on an emulator. Buy them if you like them.

>> No.6331606

>>6330652
What's the point of collecting if the games are lying around in a box?

>> No.6331682

>>6324390
>This, but, I only own shit from my childhood and a few others I should have picked up but didn't.
I do this too. Most of the games I wanted as a child, I own them now.

>> No.6331687

>>6326078
>hanging out with someone
>you like to read, anon?
>yeah, I like to read trashy stuff that turns your brain to mush
>show me your books
>they’re on the tablet
>you’re an e-reader type?
>yeah, I like getting things for free and e-books are kinda neat
>you can get e-books for free? You can pirate books?
>I can pirate almost anything
>can you get me photoshop and illustrator?
If you give a man adobe suite, they will be fed. If you teach a man how to pirate they will never go hungry for software ever again.

>> No.6331693

>>6330652
No true Scotsman

>> No.6331697

>>6325723
i buy them for the entire experience, like a couple of times i even saved a bit for stuff still packed. then i get attached to the thing because it’s both a memory of the hunt and the experience

>> No.6331718

Scalpers must be hurting these days lol; GG

>> No.6331735
File: 1.88 MB, 460x304, 3be0ca0.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been actively collecting since I was a kid. But there is little point in collecting anything gen 5 and before since prices have skyrocketed, flash carts exist, and ODEs are beginning to get more common. Yeah, if you have the itch then you can and should hunt down certain titles like mario 64 that are still relatively cheap if you really want to. But don't go out of your way to buy every expensive title because you want the perfect little lineup on your shelf. It's not worth it. Spend that kind of money beefing up on good flash carts and system mods instead if you absolutely have to empty your pockets for the hobby. If you aren't playing after you do that, then you wouldn't have played if you had gotten legit copies and should probably rethink your relationship with the hobby.

>> No.6331736

>>6328710
>Will PS3 or Xbo360 games ever be "collectibles" in your opinion?
They are already. Prices are rising, things like Drakegard 3 and El Shaddai are getting to 50-70€ again.

>> No.6331802

>>6331736
>El Shaddai
10 Euros
>Drakengard 3
20 Euros

>> No.6331805

>>6330767
>I've never been jelly of a collectorfag ever
>A little envious of SAT/DC collectors sometimes
Haha

>> No.6331810

>>6331718
Why? People all over the world are getting Coronabux from the government and are stuck inside. The scalpers are probably having a field day.

>>6331735
I'm actually surprised that Mario 64 is one of the cheaper titles now, because when I was building up my collection in the mid-late 2000s, I never saw that one for under $20-$30 (Super Smash Bros and Ocarina of Time were similarly pricier titles). Meanwhile it was pretty easy to get titles like Goldeneye, 1080 Snowboarding, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Starfox, Harvest Moon etc. for $10-$15. Stuff like Shadows of the Empire, Episode I Racer, Wave Race, Turok, Bomberman, Doom 64 and Quake I+II were all under $10. I'm surprised everything else has jumped so much but Mario 64 has stayed more or less the same.

>> No.6331818

>>6331735
>If you aren't playing after you do that, then you wouldn't have played if you had gotten legit copies and should probably rethink your relationship with the hobby.
A list of roms on a dreary flashcart is just as fun and inspires just as much enthusiasm in the non-robotic brain as a carefully selected and gradually procured collection of real soulful carts. I don't know why these collectorfags can't see the truth, anon

>> No.6331886

>>6323964
Nobody says this when people have huge book or movie collections, it's just retards who are oblivious to their own biases.

>> No.6331912

>they don't play them, and if they do they're not gonna have time to do it properly
>it requires basically no skill or creativity as a hobby; literally just find product and throw money at it
>the thrill of the hunt for desired games no longer exists thanks to the internet and you can bet your ass that every thrift/pawn shop in the country is scoured by collectors and scalpers on a daily basis

>> No.6331946

>>6326892
lol seething boomer. You literally just want people to pay the boomergeld. go mow your lawn old man

>> No.6331949
File: 25 KB, 228x259, Good for you.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
Collecting old junk =/= playing games

>> No.6331967

Video game collecting is a cheap hobby compared to others out there, My good buddy just spent 4 grand on a new mountain bike, if I were to spend 4 grand on retro video games I could probably own almost the entire snes library from a bulk auction lot if they came loose without boxes.

Like any hobby, spend what you can afford and be happy with the process, some months I spend $50 on some old games, other months I drop $500.

>> No.6331968

>>6331810
I just started looking for N64 games and collecting in general this week. I dont really see any game for over $100 like I routinely do for PS2.

>> No.6331971

>>6325217
>When I was a kid, people collected things all the time.
Yes, because it's literally a childish thing to do, so of course children do it.

>> No.6332003

>>6323943
I collect old systems but I prefer flash carts over actual cartridges for price reasons.

>> No.6332006

>>6324073
That's where flash carts and everdrives come in handy sell your original copys to collector's.

>> No.6332008

>>6324273
All 3 of those systems you can buy flash carts and everdrives for.

>> No.6332012

>>6332006
Are flash carts not everdrives? I'm serious btw, I dont want to buy the wrong thing.

>> No.6332016

>>6324669
I'm a hard ware guy that's totally into flash carts.

It gives you the real console experience with out the collector prices thrown in.

>> No.6332017

>>6332012
Everdrive is a flash cart brand.

>> No.6332031

a friend of mine collects movies, vidya, signed copies of games, merch etc and really shelves and decorates it all nicely. I don't get that at all.

myself? I'm not a minimalist but I would hate having all this useless shit laying around only collecting dust so I'm more of an advocate of digital libraries for entertainment media if anything. that way I feel less clutter and can access stuff without pretty much lifting a finger.

this is how people are different. same with collecting consoles. why bother? better be a PCfag and if emulation comes along nicely there is no reason to waste even more money that you don't have.

>> No.6332032

I'm worried for my lil nigga retro store. I hope Carona doesnt shut him down. Hes fair.

>> No.6332039

>>6323964
Truth. Honestly am hoping for the retro market to crash while I smugly play my emulators.

>> No.6332045

>>6330652
>Good games deserve a place on the shelf.

tell you a secret: the game doesn't give a fuck.

>> No.6332048

>>6324085
The reseller fags get you with jacking up the shipping and handling. Be wary

>> No.6332057

>>6330652
>you should always feel a level of discomfort that your game collection is just some intangible collection of rom files sitting on your hard drive next to your porn folder.

you know what's intangible to begin with? VIDEO GAMES. so why would I feel discomfort for accessing a digital archive for a digital medium? it's just pragmatism to make it comfortable.

>> No.6332292

>>6330198
never look up neo-geo prices

>> No.6332349

>>6325613
Where are you? This is /vr/, publishers of any game on this board don't make a fucking penny; all their work is long out of production... MAYBE the old Wii Virtual store, but for old ass games with no further support, those developers, of which you speak, have long made their money.

>> No.6332358

>>6332349
wii VC is closed, wii U vc is still open though (and bizarrely was receiving new PC Engine games as of last year IIRC)

>> No.6332784

>>6331968
>over $100
>PS2
What the fuck? Which games?

>> No.6332839

So I wanted a Japanese PS2 and I wanted to collect the full Sega Ages set for the thing along with a Saturn PS2 controller. I ran the numbers, I'd end up spending over 2 grand. I'm now going to buy a small form factor PC to keep next to my TV and adapters for Saturn controllers and a stereo system with monitors. It's still going to cost me less than that PS2 shit I wanted because the pretty boxes caught my attention.

>> No.6332861

>>6331968
the only games that go for that much on PS2 are horror games and for some weird reason Outrun SP

>> No.6332865

>>6332003
also it’s nice not having to swap carts

>> No.6332881

>>6328710
Unlikely because most of those games require dlc patches to fix or finish the game, having physical copies of games post PS2 GameCube era is pointless.

>> No.6332884

>>6328846
I have the 2tb orange one for my PS4 because Sony in their infinite wisdom put a microscopically small hard drive in the PS4.

>> No.6332890

>>6330158
both the fat PS3 & X360 have a near 50% fail rate, the PS3 super slim is hot garbage, the regular PS3 slim is fine

>> No.6332894

>>6332890
>super slim is hot garbage
que the fuck? How?

>> No.6332925

>>6332865
It's nice having to swap carts

>> No.6333157
File: 506 KB, 1920x1342, pc engine mini.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
I don't. I think it's great. Love that part of the hobby.
I'm not a crazy person that buys everything under the sun or is looking to have it "graded", but I like buying with the intend to play and I feel more invested in a game on original hardware.

Don't know what it is, but I've just noticed that I somehow play better when it's on original hardware. Probably something psychosomatic.

>> No.6333160

>>6332890
>both the fat PS3 & X360 have a near 50% fail rate
shut the fuck up retard.

>> No.6333173

>>6333157
It's probably the input lag. I tried emulating on my Wii years ago and the lag for non-VC games was horrible. Even on the PC and the PSP, there is a perceptible amount of input lag. The original hardware does not have this, and Nintendo worked out some magic to get the VC working properly.

At the time, it was not worth it for me to play VC, since the games were $5 each and I could just have the SNES originals for the same price or a little more.

>> No.6333178
File: 391 KB, 1280x1024, Rule of Rose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332784
Haunting Ground, God Hand, Rule of Rose, Blood Will Tell, Kuon, and .hack Quarantine are ones I routinely see for over $100. I don't want all of these though just a few.

>> No.6333181

>>6333178
Haunting Ground is a weird one, because PAL copies are super cheap by comparison AND they support 60hz, like every other Capcom game out there. You'd need a region modded PS2, of course, but most import gamers who are into Japanese games probably already have a console that is that.

>> No.6333182

>>6333173
>the lag for non-VC games was horrible.
Thank fuck everybody tells me I'm losing it. There is a huge, perceptible difference between just emulating shit and using the VC releases on Wii.

>> No.6333195

>>6333178
Gosh, all of the original .hack quadrilogy is horribly overpriced, and this is coming from someone who loves them. If any anon is interested in them, please just save your money and get the iso's online instead

>> No.6333226
File: 1.65 MB, 1439x1757, Screenshot_20191222-021255_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The people who get mad about it are only mad about things they made the fuck up in the first place.

Take a look at the "complaints" in this thread. It's all shit that literally doesn't happen.

>> No.6333238

>>6333195
It's funny, I have a physical collection of console games and have always bought them. When my parents used to use Macs, most of our software was legit. But when I moved over to a PC in the early 2000s, I just started pirating the fuck out of everything until Steam and a regular paycheque came along. So pirated ISOs are completely fine for me. They were a way of life for well over a decade. I personally don't see the point in collecting PC games, because aside from tracking down a CRT monitor, it's not like you need specialized hardware to play them.

>>6333182
Apparently it's a lot better now, but I sold my Wii years ago so I wouldn't be able to check up on the progress that's apparently been made.

>> No.6333817

>>6333238
I grew up with a PC and pirated everything out of necessity there. Even when I got a PS1 and PS2, it was all about modchipping them for the purpose of playing "backups", but something clicked when I played Resident Evil 4 on PS2 and it got me massively into collecting.

>> No.6333970

>>6333181
Do you need to do much to mod one? I have a FreeMCBoot PS2 that I use to load some games off of USB, I wonder if that would work too. Don't buy many disk PS2 games anymore since I can USB load, but still curious.

>> No.6333975

>>6332884
not only small but slow, too, fuck 5400rpm drives

>> No.6333980

>>6333238
I don't notice anything, but I haven't had a good comparison in a while. Recently I was playing NES and PCE on Wii, and I don't own either system anymore, so I wasn't able to really compare.

Anybody wants to send me a fully loaded PCE then I'll check it out though :^)

>> No.6334048

>>6333817
>played Resident Evil 4
>on PS2
Poor kid

>> No.6334124

>>6333970
Mine's chipped, but I bet there's a softmod solution these days.

>>6334048
Not the best, no, but I've got the rest of them by now, so I got options.

>> No.6334179

>>6334124
How is your chipped PS2 holding up? I had mine modded sometime around 2006 at an infamous Chinese mall in suburban Toronto. Sometime around 2015 to 2016 my PS2 stopped turning on, as did my friend's PS2, which was also modded. Meanwhile, my rich friend's unmodded slim PS2 is still running fine. I'm wondering if they used shit solder or something, or if the earlier PS2s just had a higher failure rate.

>> No.6334204

>>6323943
I don't despise it, it's just not particularly interesting to me. I did a fair bit of collecting in the 2000's, but at this point it doesn't feel worth it for me. Besides, my collecting was always just a means to the end of actually playing games.

Sometimes the collecting threads here can get funny, but most of the time it devolves into the same tired shit flinging every time.

>> No.6334207

>>6326959
There aren't really many "good" games that are undumped these days. Almost everything people here complain about are solely notable from a historians standpoint.

>> No.6334215

How did older collectors know to get in so early?

>> No.6334347

>>6334179
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the power, PS2 phat power boards are shit IIRC

>> No.6334373

How do you get rid of smoke smell? I bought a Snes and the former owner must have used it as an ashtray or something.
Smokers should be gassed.

>> No.6334378

>>6334373
Dryer Sheets.
Wrap the thing and bag it and leave it there for a few days.
WOrks really well on books that smell musky.

>> No.6334381

>>6334215
"Older" collectors likely collected for fun you disgusting hoarder

>> No.6334384

>>6334378
Thanks anon, could work. I guess it will smell of dryer sheets, but everythings better current state.

>> No.6334392

>>6331886
Books can be rare. It's not the case with games and movies where you can find literally everything on your local torrent tracker.

>> No.6334401

>>6333160
> A new survey published in Game Informer's print edition indicates the Xbox 360 failure rate has climbed to a shocking 54.2%. The magazine surveyed nearly 5000 readers, asking them about their experience dealing with broken consoles.
no u... retard

>> No.6334507

>>6323943
/vr/ doesn't. Only poorfag bandwagoners do and they're all /v/ or reddit.

>> No.6334510

>>6334381
For fun as opposed to what? I'm doing it for fun too.

>> No.6334512

>>6334392
But I can download every book as pdf.

>> No.6334517

>>6334512
Why not epub?

>> No.6334583
File: 1.22 MB, 2274x3264, IMG_20200412_204813.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6333178
Oh, nice. Does this also apply to PAL versions? Because I got all of these four .hack games.

>> No.6334914

>>6334373
fire

>> No.6334945

>>6329891
Making the best console of the 6th generation

>>6334215
>>6334510
We didn't plan it, it just sort of happened. I got a Super Nintendo after the N64 had already come out. Brand new SNES games were being sold on the ultra-cheap. A few years ago I found a dot-matrix printer receipt in my Yoshi's Island box which indicates that game was marked down to $14.99 on clearance in August 1998. In the early 2000s, after the 6th generation hit, I could buy a SNES game with a weeks' worth of allowance ($5). Why? Because everything was about 3D at that point. The SNES wasn't a beloved retro console, it was just yesterday's news.

Similarly, when I finally got an N64 of my own around 2004, I was able to buy the console for $39.99. Some new games were still around, but I bought the majority of my games for $5-$15 (some titles like Smash and Zelda cost more, around $20). Why? Yesterday's news. Everyone wanted framerates and polygon count.

In 2009 I bought a pristine Gamecube with a controller for $19.99. The games I bought (all brand new) cost as much as the system, and they were still relatively cheap. Why? Yesterday's news. Everyone wanted Wii motion controls (and at the time, the Gamecube was regarded as a joke and a failure).

We bought to play the games, not to build a shelf full of plastic. It was fun, being able to pick them up and play so cheaply. There was no master plan to hoard a massive collection. It was all just knowing what you wanted and being in the right place at the right time.

>> No.6335178

>>6334945
Well I made a bad decision but I cant help that now so I am just stuck paying these high prices because I really like the games too.

>> No.6335198

>>6335178
What was your bad decision? If you just happened to be born late, it can't be helped. If you sold off your collection to fund new purchases, different story.

The high prices are not all that bad. They force you to focus and think about what your favourite games are. You're not just picking shit up at the rate of 2 for $5 from a flea market. So in some ways the collection is more meaningful, because you were forced to put a price on it and decide its value to you.

For everyone who complains about high prices, I have some food for thought. When you were collecting this stuff in the mid 2000s, it was "retro". Prices steadily climbed to the spot they're at today. Sure, some of it is demand, but a lot can happen in the intervening 10 years. I remember seeing a Youtube video around 2008 that involved a couple of kids destroying N64s and their games using firecrackers or some dumb shit like that. Supply is fixed and slowly declining for various reasons, and all these electronics are getting old. This stuff is getting to the point where it is no longer retro, it's becoming vintage. Before long it'll be antique. The prices will only get worse, assuming demand holds up, which it almost certainly will.

>> No.6335202

>>6335178
Some stuff has never been cheap. Chrono Trigger cost me 60 dollars in 1999. Final Fantasy 3 is cheaper on Ebay now than it was when I bought it in 2000.

>> No.6335214

>>6335198
I sold off my collection.

>> No.6335238

>>6326892
So your answer is to come on here and insult others? How is that mature, appropriate behavior? How does that add any productivity to a conversation?

>> No.6335246

>>6335202
I'm surprised it was still selling for that much in 1999. Based on my experience, retailers couldn't wait to clear all the SNES shit so they could make room for N64 and PSX stuff.

I remember seeing a copy of Chrono Trigger on sale at my local game store for $49.95 in 2011. I distinctly remember this, because the DS version was exactly $10 cheaper for a brand new copy. I ended up just getting it from Emuparadise and sticking it on my TT card. But fuck me, I wish I bought it given the current prices. I also passed up a copy of Earthbound for $90 a few years before that. Both games were not "cheap", since it was not uncommon to find SMW in a bin of $2 games, but they were certainly cheaper than they are now.

>> No.6335257

>>6335238
>How is that mature, appropriate behavior
>How does that add any productivity to a conversation?
What the fuck is wrong with you? I hope you're joking

>> No.6335261

>>6335214
Oh. Sucks to be you then.

>> No.6335280

>>6323943
i don't think, in general, the anons on this board really care about the collecting aspect. if someone has a 'retro' game collection you might not ever really know about it in real life, for example...
but that's the rub, i think most of the hate is against the pompous assholes who like to parade 30 year old plastic like some sort of weird status symbol and not people who just collect for fun
further, i think the people who are quiet about it are more likely to truly enjoy it but thats another discussion

>> No.6335285

>>6335246
Not him but I think RPGs retained their value a lot more since the SNES was immediately followed up by what may as well have been the JRPG golden age and kept interest high. Games like CT weren't a far step from any of them while the Marios and Donkey Kongs of the world went for full 3d departures, as well as people looking back to FF3 and such after the FF7 bomb went off. Supply was also a lot lower, so if you wanted to play it you pretty much had to buy it or try to rent it a dozen times in a row since it'd be unlikely you could borrow it from anyone and emulation was in its infancy.

>> No.6335295

>>6335261
I honestly cant cope with it, its been almost 2 decades and I hate myself still. Anybody else do this? How did you get over it?

>> No.6335325

>>6335295

I sold quite a few SNES gems complete in box back in the late 2000's for a fraction of what they are worth now.

I was a poorfag at the time. Still regret that.

>> No.6335326

>>6335198
>The high prices are not all that bad. They force you to focus and think about what your favourite games are.

This.

>> No.6335331
File: 39 KB, 373x277, 75757.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
>This garbage thread is still up.

>> No.6335373

>>6335331

Back to your emulator zoomy zoom zoomer

>> No.6335403

>>6335331
Thats not how you spell quality.

>> No.6335405

>>6335373
>>6335403
Get the fuck off my board, Snatcher.

>> No.6335547

>>6331805
Jealous =/= Envy
The former is basically a fear of getting cucked and the latter is a strong desire of what others have.

I don't fear losing anything I currently own, but I envy do envy SAT/DCfags a bit if only because a number of games I love from those 2 consoles cost an arm and a leg like the vast majority of Capcom fighters.

>> No.6335757
File: 127 KB, 1200x334, 442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>collectors

>> No.6336167

>>6323943
Because some dumbfuck who has lots of money or an eceleb can get whatever they want without any effort and have people act like they're somehow accomplished for it. It drives up prices and makes people who don't actually know what they're talking about perceived as experts.
Some guy on youtube can bring up a shitty obscure game and then it sells for triple the original price.

>> No.6336173

>>6335757
Only one is showing a collection but he looks superimposed in front of it.

>> No.6336193

>>6335757
I hope LGR goes for the Rasputin look again.

>> No.6336256
File: 12 KB, 233x216, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
In my country we have retarded fuckers like pic related. All he does is hoarding, never actually plays the "best" games in his collection, it's mostly a dick contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAob968hj9c
It's basically the kind of shit he does all the time, sorry for the French but he's hated in my country

>> No.6336269
File: 52 KB, 252x285, Screenshot_20200413-052112.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i only hate the kind of collector that has a wall of shovelware while simultaneously telling you how great critically acclaimed games he's never played are. plenty of youtubers fit that bill. GUYS LET ME TELL YOU WHY METROID PRIME IS SO GREAT I WATCHED 20 MINUTES OF A PLAYTHROUGH AND READ WIKIPEDIA I'VE NEVER EVEN FINISHED A ZELDA TITLE BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH I BOUGHT ALL THE GAMES

>> No.6336283

>>6336269
>>6336256
>LITTLE SAMSON IS A GREAT GAME!
>HIDDEN GEMS!

>> No.6336286
File: 1.31 MB, 400x224, external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6336256
>never actually plays the "best" games in his collection
ahem

>> No.6336487

>>6335547
>Jealous =/= Envy
Sure. One is an adjective and the other is a noun. Fucktard. Sounds like you also fear grade school English.

>> No.6336512

>>6336487
Wow nice literature tips on site that doesn't use full stops or capital letters half the time

>> No.6336521

I don't see the point, I like videoGames for the game aspect, so I don't know why would I collect them, specially games I have no interest in playing, when I can emulate for example.

>> No.6336537

>>6330416
These people are the ones telling you why 6th gen is not really retro and it will never be.

It was never about having fun, but being stuck in the past.

>> No.6336554

Do people hoard to feel in control?

>"When we feel anxious, which I think all of us do right now—it would be sort of abnormal to not feel a little anxious—the antidote to anxiety is always control," said Yarrow. "And since we can't really control the track of this disease, we turn to what we can control, and that's why people are shopping. It's like, 'well, I feel like I'm doing something, I feel like I'm preparing. I feel like I'm taking control of the thing I can control, which is stocking up.'
>"Some of the people that are doing the hoarding, they're not bad people and they're not selfish people. They're just scared people, and I think that if they thought about their connection to others and their responsibility to the community, they probably wouldn't do it,"

>> No.6336564

>>6336283
Oh that's why I hate that term, it all makes sense

>> No.6336591

>>6336554
Who are you quoting and in what context exactly were those quotes said?

>>6336564
I can imagine youtubers like gaming historian sneezing the moment he said that.

>> No.6336601

>>6323943
Because they are homos

>> No.6336643
File: 721 KB, 3000x2000, comfyps1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
I used to be a hardcore emufag/le owning shit you can just have on an sd card is dumb!!11! but the PS1 and later ps2 redpilled me.
Emulation just isn't the same. Even a very accurate emulator like mednafen still has audio hiccups and input lag. Sadly this "hobby" is over priced as fuck so I stick to specific consoles and mod/cfw them plus use BC when available to save on space or hardware costs.
I have a mayumi chipped PS1 that I use with my CRT and my entire collection, other than games I owned as a kid, is burned. Rather than spend a shit ton of money on upscalers to use it on my monitor or a modern TV, I just use my cfw PS3. It even takes the burned disks and through a roundabout way using a PS2 and ulaunchelf I can move saves around between my PS1 and my PS3 if needed.
My 3dses take care of GB and GBC while giving hardware perfect GBA BC.
Sadly even this approach doesn't work for some consoles like the gamecube which every fucking aspect is overpriced for, even fucking display cables.
Basically, you can't ever emulate pic related.

>> No.6336649

>>6336643
For Gamecube I just use Wii because it's the same thing except slightly worst picture quality over component. Not really noticeable (and the gamecube didn't have many good games anyway.)

>> No.6336659

>>6336649
>the gamecube didn't have many good games anyway.
this
pretty much every worthwhile game it had has been ported to wii and switch at this point. For GBA on tv I can just use my PS3 or cfw switch, sure it's not hardware accurate but it's really not worth it for those component cables.
Meanwhile even "shitty" $6 PS2 component cables look fantastic on modern tvs

>> No.6336664

>>6334401
PS3 doesn't have a 50% failure rate. NEC/Tokin SMC caps are the problem.

>> No.6336690

>>6336664
This
A fat PS2 with a 21xx slim PS3 has you set in terms of cfw and max game compatibility

>> No.6336721

>>6335285
Huh, that's interesting. You mention supply was low, but I wonder if Nintendo kept making new cartridges of the JRPG games after interest in the other ones dropped off. Actually, come to think of it, when were SNES cartridges discontinued? I personally don't really remember seeing any new ones, AT ALL, after Christmas of 1999. After that I had to start picking up used versions of the games I wanted to play.

>> No.6336724
File: 15 KB, 136x102, 7373-thumb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6336286
He doesn't even try to be an AVGN, he's way too autistic for that

>> No.6336726

Any of you guys ever had to move to a different country?
After corona-chan I might get transferred to the middle east. Since it's a 5 year contract I wanna have my stuff with me, it's like 13 consoles and a smallish physical collection that fits in 3 cardboard boxes.
How the fuck do I take all this with me?
I live alone here in the US with no real relatives so I'm kinda forced to

>> No.6336728

>>6336724
i'm not drawing a comparison, i have no idea who your guy is

>> No.6336751

>>6336256
It's a shame, because the French usually have pretty great tastes. Many other countries are all BING BING WAHOO NINTEEEENDOOOO but France is all about Japanese import, Neo Geo, Arcade cabinets and shmups.

>> No.6337078

>>6323964
I really don’t understand why you’re so upset over it? I have every Ace Combat game (except X and Assault Horizon) and have every Gundam game released in the US. I have no clue why, but it feels nice to own a physical copy.

>> No.6337093

>>6324606
Not that anon, but I’m a mecha fag and Have bought some titles that are pretty bad. The most recent was Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam. It’s alright but I wouldn’t play it again, I bought it more for completion purposes.

>> No.6337115

OP if you're still here, is that a random picture you found online? Because it looks almost exactly identical to a store that used to be open called Cash for Games in Ottawa. could be coincidence though

>> No.6337224

>>6336751
>Any tastes that are similar to mine are good

>> No.6337271

>>6323943
the only things that i despise about it is the snobbery & elitism tied to it.

collecting is fine as a hobby but acting like your dick is going to grow 3 times it's normal size is pretty cringey in it's own right.

>> No.6337346

>>6324350
Most of my “collecting” is done cruising through Thrift Stores and 2nd Hand stores. Found a few treasures or must haves. While my “collection” isn’t terribly impressive- the one upside to quarantine has bee the ability to walk up to my library and just play games I’ve been wanting to get around to.
Normally with a 60 hour work week I almost never get to play my old games.
I feel bad for people with no hobbies losing their minds of boredoms but I have such a back catalog and can binge for days.

>> No.6337358

>>6336726
I dont think you are going to be able to bring all that but i never even traveled so what do i know.

>> No.6337398

>>6323950
Millennials and zoomers are broke as hell and can't afford to dedicate a space for their autism unless they live with a rich boomer. Personally, it's not the money, it's the lack of space.

>> No.6337818

>>6336721
I doubt it, I've never seen any numbers or anything like that but I'd be very surprised if anything had a new production run after the 64 came out. The initial runs putting out enough to last the stores 5 years sounds about right from what I remember.

>> No.6337873

>>6336512
>i tried to sound clever with my pseudointellectual fedora tipping shitpost and am now assblasted because i made a complete fool of myself
And your baby tears are delicious

>> No.6337886
File: 2.55 MB, 400x252, 1586158064597.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324751

>> No.6337902

>>6326629
Dont waste your time on fucking cubivore

>> No.6337908
File: 1.22 MB, 2560x1280, 20200413_180144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Check me out bitch

>> No.6338474

I thought video game collectors were bad until I peered into the world of Magic: The Gathering. It's completely normal for people in that circle to drop $100 on a card, only for it to be banned in regular matches. And there are cards people will pay stupid amounts for. Nothing like the "graded" N64 games, but a Black Lotus in good shape runs about $3,000 or so. And this shit basically just sits in boxes most of the time.

>>6337346
Surprisingly, non-Goodwill thrift stores are still pretty good. I managed to get a whole box of SNES games just last year for about $2 a piece. About 80% of them were trash or mediocre, but there were a couple gems in there: Mystical Ninja, Soul Blazer, Goof Troop and Kirby Super Star. And I hear you on those 60-hour weeks, man. I'm usually too tired at the end of the day to competently play video games or even pay attention to anime that's more than puddle deep. This coronavirus has given me time to enjoy and to think.

>>6337908
>F-Zero

I can still pick this one up for $15 pretty easily, but still a good game. I'm surprised the bullshit prices have not fully hit it yet. Organize your shit a bit. And do you have two copies of DK64?

>> No.6338605
File: 147 KB, 770x960, cowboy bebop at his computer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6337224
Yes.

Also, it's just a bit boring looking at game room videos from "Nintendo collectors", because it's all the same stuff. Incredibly surface level interest, jerking off over Zelda/Mario/Metroid. It's people who seem more into the "lifestyle" than they are about discovering interesting games. They only like a handful of titles because they were told to, rather than actively exploring the full library of the systems. It's tiresome.

>> No.6338689

>>6338605
Who the fuck would sit like that?

Collecting is dead, what people do today is horde shit to put on shelves. The internet made it too easy to just buy up everything and anything and put it on display. Instead of having to hunt for things and find local sources or import things which took real effort. Today you just go on ebay and wait for the price to be reasonable then it turns up on your door step.

I still have all my childhood games and I will probably sell them as soon as I dig them out of my closest. I have no reason to own the carts when I can emulate them on a portable device or use an xbox huge/mini PC to do the same thing. I often end up with a better experience because I can skip all the loading times on C64 games and Amiga games which my original machines can't do the same way.

Space is also a serious issue. It's fine when your hobby takes up a desk but dedicating an entire room to shit you never touch is just stupid. Youtubers putting up videos in front of blockbuster displays has corrupted how people display their collections. Which in turn continues to spiral everything down

tl;dr Care about games not the format you play them in.

>> No.6338938

>>6331886
print is dead

>> No.6339348
File: 749 KB, 1080x1685, 20200414_042055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you imagine having a complete set for an entire console? It must cost so much.

>> No.6339402

>>6339348
He died of coronavirus recently.

>> No.6339460

>>6338689
>Who the fuck would sit like that?
someone who wants a sore back

>> No.6339490

>>6323964
this. it can be cool to display but outside of that there's fairly little point for the majority of systems. Just buy a fucking hard drive lad.

>> No.6339505

>>6336649
>the gamecube didn't have many good games anyway
What's with that? My age group cums over GC but there's about 5 maybe 10 (really strong) games and the the rest are shovelware tier.

>> No.6339536
File: 228 KB, 901x1200, heinekencube.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6339505
>What's with that?
Lots of reasons really. Nintendo was floundering at the time in terms of their public relations and the quality of the games just wasn't there. They had a real problem with rushing out titles instead of letting them finish with Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker being prime examples of games that were released too early. The Gamecube itself was a rushed hardware design which is why it struggled to keep up with the PS2 of all things. Third parties still had little interest in working with Nintendo due to the Yamauchi years being a disaster for them and the numbers just not being there in terms of sales.

I call it the identity crisis era Nintendo.

>> No.6339559

>>6326892
The appropriate price for anything dumped, that runs on flash, or emulateable by the shittiest common computer by anyone with an IQ north of 90 is $0. It's been this way for most /vr/ stuff since the early 2000s. Really, it's more about being disgusted with your unrelateable manchild shelves and elitism regarding it. What are you, a fucking woman? You need to decorate and 'see' the collection to keep it in mind and feel like a person? It's about how a bunch of you and your e-celeb shitheads lie to normies who don't know any better and circle jerk your other collectorfag peers about how 'rare' this shit is to drive your own gay market up. You attempt to invalidate the gameplay or knowledge of anyone not retarded or insane enough to pay used car prices for FREE shit.

>> No.6339578

>>6339536
No wonder the gamecube sold so badly, who the hell even likes that pisswater beer?
Yes, the N64 years were like Nintendo's drunk years while the Gamecube was their hangover time so they tried to sober up with the Wii, then got drunk again with the Wii U. I don't think they'll ever learn at this point, it's their way or the highway when it comes down to 3rd parties.

>> No.6339592

>>6339536
>The Gamecube itself was a rushed hardware design which is why it struggled to keep up with the PS2 of all things
Nah, as usual with Nintendo hardware it's excellently designed but Nintendo always finds a way to gimp it to save money. With SNES Nintendo gimped the CPU, with N64 Nintendo gimped the RAM, and with GameCube Nintendo downclocked the GPU from 200 MHz to 162 MHz before release and the RAM from 3.2 GB/s to 2.6 GB/s.

>> No.6339703

>>6339536
>release dvd-based console during the rise of dvd
>can't play dvd's
the ps2 was a cheap dvd player that also happened to play playstation games, oh and next-gen ps2 games
my ps2 was my household's first dvd player
being able to play dvd's was a pretty good selling point

>> No.6339738

>>6331886
People say that all the time, having a library at home is even a "weird guy" trope

>> No.6339740

>>6339703
>the ps2 was a cheap dvd player
It wasn't, but being able to play DVDs while being a playstation 2 helped it a ton.

>> No.6339775

>>6325217
>This must be a zoomer mentality.
No it's a middle class person's mentality. If your parents bought you a lot of shit, you keep the need to buy yourself shit when you grow older. At least when you grow up poor you don't get dependent on useless stuff.

>> No.6339957

>>6339738
>having a library at home is even a "weird guy" trope
It is?

>> No.6339976

>>6339957
Not him, but yes, it's the mark of a weirdo. Just use Spotify bruh.

>> No.6340052

>>6339976
isn't spotify a music streaming service?

>> No.6340060

>>6340052
Yes. Owning physical music (or physical anything) is strange behavior.

>> No.6340095

>>6331912
Fuck,even my local pawn shop had good stuff sometimes but it was always going fast.
Now they been matching ebay price on gamecube stuff ect...

Pretty sad but why wouldnt they do it.

>> No.6340101

>>6340060
>Owning physical anything is strange
Your behavior right now is strange

>> No.6340516

>>6339578
Heineken is good man. Better than that IPA shit everyone keeps pushing.

>> No.6340524

4chan is one of the few social sites it's even possible to browse on a third hand fifteen year old device so there are a disproportionate amount of not just poor but absolutely penniless people. Even furthermore, emulating retro video games is one of the few interests on 4chan that can be participated with these sort of devices and zero dollars further investment. Once that type of miserable hateful people discovered /vr/ it was all over no matter how hard I tried to fight it.

>> No.6340536

I think collecting games is fine, if you can't buy them in online shops.

Problem is, if there's a game from your childhood you want to play and you can't find the disc/cart, you're kinda fucked

>> No.6340587
File: 530 KB, 974x813, 1548878838427.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6338605
>using composite and RF

>> No.6340616

>>6323943

Collecting anything is a pathetic hobby. It's basically a visual manifestation of your crippling fear of death. It's the same mindset as that of people who approach entertainment as homework. You and all your possessions will rot and disappear. If original hardware is the best and most cost-effective way for you to get your hands on a game you want, knock yourself out. But amassing gigantic collections that you spent a small fortune or for no good reason is sad. What are you going to do with them? Dust them off once a year? Do you really think you're going to play your 100+ PC-Engine games on a regular basis until you die? Not to mention how fragile video games/consoles are and how hard they can be to find replacements for. It's an idiotic mindset. Free yourself and enjoy games however you can/want. You know what will happen to your retro collection when you die? The poor sap who inherits it will sell it off at ridiculously low prices in a desperate attempt to get rid of it.

>> No.6340625

>>6340616
>Free yourself and enjoy games however you can/want.
By going on an abandonware site and downloading it, or what? A lot of the old games are either not available through legitimate sources or simply not very attainable at all online.

>> No.6340639

>>6340536
>you're kinda fucked
why?

>> No.6340647

>>6340625
>or simply not very attainable at all online
can you name one?

>> No.6340650

>>6340639
Because, if you can't buy it the only route I know of is abandonware emulators. If there's a legal (not piracy) way I can get old games online, please speak up

>> No.6340652

>>6340647
Some of the old lego games, and I haven't found an online purchase for Star Wars rogue squadron N64 yet.

>> No.6340667
File: 28 KB, 802x234, comparison of contemporary RAM types.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6339592
>N64 Nintendo gimped the RAM
>Gamecube was gimped
The base N64 had double the RAM of the Playstation with the option to double it again to 8MB. Yes, the RAM latency was an issue, but it was significantly better than the EDO DRAM used in the Playstation and the Saturn.

Please stop talking out your ass.

>> No.6340694

>>6340650
what country is that strict with piracy of old roms?

>> No.6340696

>>6340587
most Japanese use composite on an LCD, RGB on a PVM or Trinitron is mostly a westerner thing

you’d be surprised how meh whatever Japanese are about that stuff, on 2ch on the games board you have people asking really basic bitch stuff like how to use emulators and just now discovering what flash carts are they really aren’t autistic about scanlines and picture sharpness

>> No.6340704

>>6340694
America, if i'm not mistaken. All the shit I've read about the old abandonware/ROM distribution is that it's de facto public domain because no one enforces copyright on it anymore due to profit/loss.

That being said, it was all fairly normie media. I assume that people who do this shit would probably know more about it

>> No.6340731
File: 159 KB, 500x617, 187B3ECC-55CC-4171-80F4-1CEF590F6F0B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6338605
>a US turbo duo
>not a PCE duo
nigga what? animation style aside that’s another dead giveaway this was drawn by a westerner

>> No.6340750

>>6340731
you missed
>US NES under tv

>> No.6340975

>>6326617
Lake Michigan.

>> No.6340985

>>6323943
It's obsessive materialism.
The things you own end up owning you.

>> No.6341009

>>6333181
Playing real copies of foreign PS2 games without hardmodding is actually a pain in the ass, you still have to disc swap without triggering the lid sensor. There's no softmod solution for this, backup loaders only work on pirated games.
I imagine more people buying another PS2 at this point than getting a modchip.

>> No.6341061

>>6325217
It's a pleb urbanite mentality. They're used to everything being provided and curated for them so their brains are conditioned to get angry when other people have things. Ownership is foreign to them. They rent their apartments, take the train instead of owning a car, and go to public parks packed with everyone else instead of having a back yard or acres of your own land to enjoy. These people's brains are fried and they can't understand why other people want to own physical things and be self sufficient going forward instead of depending on things other people maintain like services and emulators.

>> No.6341328

>>6340985
Lmao i watched fight club too.
So woke amirite

>> No.6341436

You ever notice how prices for hardware skyrocket after GameStop stops selling them?

>> No.6341521

>>6323943
I think every collector I've seen answer why he collects with a variaton of "to get the games I wished when I was a kid"...so you can see that's always some weird shit involved

>> No.6341757

>>6323943
I'm more mad at the faggots hoarding micro computers after they started to watch some retro computer basedboy like LGR. console stuff is cheap and clones are being shitted out daily but amiga and ST stuff is fucking high

>> No.6341852

>>6340667
>The base N64 had double the RAM of the Playstation with the option to double it again to 8MB
No, the base PS1 has 3.5 MB of RAM (2 + 1 + 0.5), and the base N64 has 4 MB of RAM.

>>6340667
>Yes, the RAM latency was an issue, but it was significantly better than the EDO DRAM used in the Playstation and the Saturn.
Your picture is out of wack, it doesn’t nearly show the situation with 5th consoles. The N64’s RDRAM had a 9 bit transfer width and a random access latency around 640ns.

But that isn’t the real issue with the N64. It’s that Nintendo made a console which relies on z-buffering but gave it similar memory bandwidth to the PS1 and Saturn which don’t do z-buffering. That’s why the N64 was gimped by Nintendo. It was 1.5 years newer, no excuse for underwhelming RAM.

>> No.6341892

>>6340587
I play composite for everything pre-seventh gen on my flatscreen Toshiba CRT.

It's good. It's not perfect and I know that, but I also take the money I could invest in modding my consoles and obtaining proper cables in more authentic cartridge and discs.

I'd rather have access to more experiences in a mostly authentic fashion than fewer experiences in more authentic fashion. If that makes sense.

>> No.6341893

>>6324390
How is the stock low? For some obscure niche games, yeah. But look at the prices for Mario and Zelda garbage. Games that sold millions are gouged beyond belief.

>> No.6341925

>>6336649
This is some old-school contrarism. Gamecube is basically a repeat of the N64: a smaller core of quality vs. PS2's glut of content.

And the XBox just took over the Saturn's role as a "And then there's this shit" console, until Halo came around and ruined everything.

>> No.6341941

>>6324073
This. I don't care about the value and selling them off for even more money down the line, I just want to play games. I even dislike when a game I already own becomes expensive cause that means I'd have to pay more money to rebuy it if it breaks. I want to get into Saturn collecting but every game I want is well over a hundred dollars. One of these days I might just say fuck it, buy a Saturn, and limit myself to a couple games a year.

>> No.6341951

>>6341941
Saturn collecting is expensive but luckily, you have a small number of must have titles that will fuck up your wallet for a while. Assuming you're going CIB.

I think that collecting CIB SNES will ultimately be more painful than CIB Saturn collecting, honestly.

>> No.6341965

>>6339536
Wasn't the Gamecube more powerful than the PS2? The only advantage the PS2 had was disc size.

Also, Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker don't feel like rushed games to me. And although the console's primary draw were the exclusives, it had some good third party games, and load times were far superior on GC than on PS2. It had some exclusive RPGs like Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia, but the former was also available on Dreamcast, which very few people owned, and the latter was a Japan exclusive for the PS2. Some actual exclusive third party games are for example Eternal Darkness, Baten Kaitos, and Rogue Squadron II, but admittedly there's not al ot of them.

It's a better console than the Wii, which had a lot of really gimmicky games and whose specs actually were a lot worse than the competitors', and I think it's got more quality content than the N64 too.

>> No.6341981

>>6341965
>Wasn't the Gamecube more powerful than the PS2? The only advantage the PS2 had was disc size.
That's actually a bit of a tricky question, and it's much less straightforward than many Nintendo fans would have you believe.

The PS2's fill rate and alpha blending performance is astronomical compared to the GameCube (and even the Xbox). That means the PS2 can churn through gouraud shading, particles and transparencies way faster than the GameCube can.

When it comes to vertex shading and processing, the PS2 is fully programmable. Emotion Engine can handle polygons, physics, custom animation deforms, anything you throw at it. The GameCube's geometry processing is also fast but it's entirely fixed-function. It can't handle anything but a limited number of functions. Physics? Forget it.

The GameCube's biggest advantage compared to PS2 is texturing. GCN supports texture compression, has hardware support for a lot of different texture effects (via TEV shaders), has a decently large dedicated texture cache and actually has proper support for mipmaps / trilinear filtering.

PS2's got a little quirk where because the size of its VRAM is too small it has to render frames smaller than 640x480 not because of speed but because it just won't fit into VRAM.

>> No.6342003

>>6341981
Interesting, thanks. As someone who was a Gamecube fanboy when I was a teenager, in retrospect I think a large issue for the GC was image. Particularly, it wasn't popular with teens because it was very 'kiddy', unlike GTA or Medal of Honor and other games like that, and its multiplayer wasn't as popular as the N64's was because couch multiplayer was not that popular anymore. It also took them a long time to lean into the whole online play aspect of multiplayer.

>> No.6342067
File: 74 KB, 673x791, psweed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6342003
Couch was very popular at the time at least around me. Many people don't even know the PS2 had online features. Halo was the hot shit at the time and that was all local system link stuff until Halo 2 in 2004.

>> No.6342072

>>6339578
>pisswater beer

excuse me? Heineken is pretty tasty even for a beer.

>> No.6342080

>>6342072
Maybe for Americans. In Belgium, Dutch beers and particularly Heineken are known as being terrible, but not as terrible and watery as US beers like Budweiser.

>> No.6342093

>>6342080
I'm in central europe, anon.

>> No.6342134

>>6342093
Other anon chiming in again, any german beer is better than Heineken. Hell, even other dutch beers like Dommelsch, Brand or Grolsch are better than Heineken. The only reason people are this familiar with Heineken is because of marketing, in other words it's actually very comparable with the reason why Nintendo is more popular than ever. It's all branding and nostalgia anon, anything Nintendo made after the N64 isn't worth discussing here and I'm not saying that because of the /vr/ board rules.

>> No.6342214

>>6341009
>There's no softmod solution for this
___ESR___

>> No.6342217

>>6342072
>Heineken is pretty tasty even for a beer.
May the Lord have mercy on your poor soul.

>> No.6342473

>>6324007
You piece of shit. Kill yourself.

>> No.6343174
File: 1.48 MB, 3225x2156, Killer 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6339505
Alot of the PS2/GC multiplatform games had a huge ass disparity, even more than the PS2/Xbox ones. Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7 are two textbook ones.

>> No.6343183

>>6343174
What do you mean by disparity ?

>> No.6343191

>>6342003
US perspective here. I heavily disagree, couch multi was super popular, and Smash Bros Melee was a huge game and everybody who owned a cube owned it and it was frequently at parties. The real problem was that GC had not many games, and the games it did have were definitely not "cool". Cool was GTA, Halo, and Madden. The epitome of this was in the comparison between the E3 reveals of Wind Waker and of Twilight Princess. Then there were also fad games like DDR, Guitar Hero, etc. and those also maintained popularity, and they were most obviously present on PS2. Gamecube didn't even get releases of many of the most popular games of that era. It had rare spots of brilliance that were appreciated by people outside of Nintendo dedicated (RE4, Eternal Darkness, Killer7) but overwhelmingly it was the loser of its generation, and the only thing that really continues to keep it relevant is the one game that made it relevant in the first place; Meleefags made sure that the game and its controller would live forever.

That said, I'm happy to have owned one. Had some quality games for the few really good ones that were there. I won't sit here and pretend it was godly though.

>> No.6343241

>>6343191
Those couple months where Gaystation Poo fags didn't have RE4 were pretty great.

>> No.6343259

>>6343191

You're forgetting piracy. PS2 games were infinitely easier to pirate than GCN ones and this contributed massively to the PS2's popularity internationally. Why would you buy a console where every game costs $60+ when you could have one where every game costs virtually nothing.

>> No.6343301

>>6343241
The PS2 version was trash anyway. The original resolution was butchered and it ruined Mikami's cinematography. Sony always wanted to destroy japanese gaming by treating it like cheap garbage and focus on their western studios.

>> No.6343336

>>6343183
I've never played the PS2 version of RE4 but Killer7 has enormous load times in the PS2 version, and not in the GC version.

If that's not it perhaps the release date, PS2 owners got RE4 much later than GC owners.

>> No.6343546

>>6343259
I actually only knew one person who had a chipped PS2, I was in a wealthier area though. Incidentally, low cost of games was why the PS1 was so successful too, in addition to Sony bending over backward to make it easier to dev.

>>6343241
>>6343301
This, PS2 dudes got the raw bone on almost every multiplat though. If it came out on anything else, you pretty much wanted to get the other release.

>>6343336
That's another reason to generally prefer GC versions if there was one, the load times on GC were pretty much always better. Only examples to the contrary I can think of is when devs compressed a lot of shit to fit it on the disk. That happened most notably with EA Sports games, but that wasn't much concern as not only are those not worth your time, but even if they were, you were better off playing the xbox versions anyway. FIFA may have been an exception but I'm not 100%.

>> No.6344098

>>6323964
Coming from a generation stripped of the concept of ownership, this mentality doesn't surprise me.

>> No.6344204

>>6329889
>conversation pieces
Touche, touche. Pornmags on the coffee table is a real kicker.

>> No.6345486
File: 124 KB, 500x388, 816.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6324375
Nobody wants to buy your shit off eBay virgin hoarder. The emu chads actually enjoy their games whenever and wherever they go. It's as simple as pulling out my phone and firing up retro arch.

>> No.6345739

>>6341925
Until halo came around... as a launch title for the system.. OK.

anyone who hates on the original XBOX (or equates it to the saturn??) instantly marks themselves as clueless/shitty taste, not up for debate

>> No.6345745

>>6341061
nigga what? being self sufficient is... buying physical copies of games from resellers vs. "relying" on roms? are you high or do you just really badly want to spew some weird republican/libertarian word salad on a video game board

>> No.6345752

>>6345486
>pulling out my phone and firing up retro arch.
Disgusting faggot

>> No.6345925

>>6339536
Could you be more wrong? gamecube was much more powerful than PS2 and on paper not as powerful as Xbox but in practice was.

As for games, I would say Sunshine, Luigis Mansion and Wind Waker are short as opposed to rushed (i dont think "short" and "rushed" are necessarily the same thing).

gamecube had plenty of great games.

>> No.6345973

>>6331810
Guilty. Put most of it in savings but I did get F-Zero and Sunshine for the Cube after all these years.

>> No.6346080

>>6341981
Multiplat games on gamecube and PS2 *all* look better on gamecube.
Case in point, sports games and Resident Evil 4

>>6341925
based
>>6345739
halo was a slow burner. Xbox was let down primarily by a really shitty control pad. Original xbox was a letdown.

>> No.6346186

>>6346080
I was playing Need for Speed Underground on my Gamecube and it performed horribly. I can only assume the PS2 version is better because it wouldn't have gotten high scores if everybody played it like this.

Not that I think about it I wonder if progressive scan would slow it down?

>> No.6346352

>>6343546
>the load times on GC were pretty much always better
try rainbow six 3 sometime, it takes like 2 minutes for the main menu to load. Then two minutes to start a level.

>> No.6346361

>>6337078
Please don't end a declaration with a question mark. It's a terrible habit that is all too common online.

>> No.6346383

>>6326715
I don't watch let's plays or reaction videos, but is it any different in concept from having a host on a travel show? It's not like you get to go there; Rather, you rely on the person to show you things and relay to you the experience. Reaction videos are stupid if they're just reacting to a video, but some people use let's plays as a way to experience games that they wouldn't or (more likely) cannot play. It's not like every kid with a smartphone can go out and play half-life alyx or even FF7R. In that way, watching someone else play it is not unlike watching a travel show about somewhere you can't go.

>> No.6346483

>>6341892
>he uses composite when S-video exists

>>6340696
>RGB on a PVM or Trinitron is mostly a westerner thing
RGB on a PVM is absolutely not a Westerner thing. Most Westerners playing older consoles are doing so on flat screens, and they're stunned at what a difference a bog-standard CRT makes. It's just that autistic Westerners on the internet who obsess over scan lines and other dumb shit.

But yes, I agree with you that Japs are surprisingly tech-retarded. When I lived there from 2010-2014 I was struck by how many people didn't know how to use a computer. Everyone used Internet Explorer because it's what came with the machine. And if you created an email account, that was considered "pretty tech savvy". When I installed Ubuntu on the shitty Sony netbook that I took around with me (Thinkpad T500 was too heavy), they looked at me like some kind of tech god. And I didn't even know how to use Linux, I just knew how to get it on a USB stick and install it. A lot of the people I knew never had computers growing up, and one guy didn't even use one until he was in university. My (at the time) 55-year-old boomer mother knew more about computers than the average 20-year-old in my Japanese social circle. It was really quite astonishing.

>> No.6346665
File: 662 KB, 500x648, triggered.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6346361

>> No.6347090
File: 41 KB, 400x320, external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6342214
ESR requires modifying the image before burning, it doesn't work with original discs directly
>>6341009
swapmagic

>> No.6347103

>>6341925
xbox really did take over sega's position of "the cool kid's console" and as a platform for sports games
also few good first party titles, and the weirdest exclusive third party titles

>> No.6347124
File: 266 KB, 1695x480, 1439551591752.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6345925
>Could you be more wrong? gamecube was much more powerful than PS2 and on paper
not as powerful as Xbox but in practice was.
>ERP, experienced game programmer: "[Gamecube] was by far the worst performing of the 3 platforms. You should see the performance penalty when god forbid the GPU has to clip a polygon, it was so bad I actually wrote code to traverse triangle lists and clip tris with the CPU."
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/was-gc-more-or-less-powerful-than-ps2-spawn.52550/#post-1640713

>>6346080
>Multiplat games on gamecube and PS2 *all* look better on gamecube.

>the GameCube version is clearly a step below both the PS2 and the Xbox versions as far as in-game visuals go. Never mind 60fps, I'm happy when the GameCube SSX Tricky runs at 30 frames per second!
http://ign.com/articles/2002/04/02/ssx-tricky-head-to-head?page=2

>The [Gamecube] frame rate bogs down whenever you're taking a look at a large section of complex geometry--the Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Skater Island levels are the worst offenders here. Some sections of Tokyo cause the frame rate to drop rather drastically.
>PlayStation 2 version only rarely slows down
>the GameCube version also looks slightly washed-out when compared to the PS2's vibrant colors.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tony-hawks-pro-skater-3-review/1900-2825357/

>the [Gamecube] cars don't reflect hardly anything and what does reflect looks rather shoddy. Meanwhile, Xbox reflections are pretty solid, as are PS2's.
http://ign.com/articles/2004/02/18/james-bond-007-everything-or-nothing-head-to-head?page=4

>The GameCube version...falters the most out of the three considering framerate
http://ign.com/articles/2005/03/29/timesplitters-future-perfect-head-to-head

>> No.6347531

>>6347090
>ESR requires modifying the image before burning, it doesn't work with original discs directly
it's still a softmod-solution.

>> No.6347767

>>6323943
Collectors can do whatever they want.
Price-risers, hoarders and scalpers can all go to fucking hell.

>> No.6347924

>>6347124
interesting

>> No.6347936
File: 50 KB, 500x164, mikami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6347924
as for RE4 looking bad on PS2 there's a reason for that

>> No.6348146

>>6347124
autistic projection. Nothing on PS2 or Xbox looked as good as either Rogue Squadron game, or Metroid Prime, or the water effects in Mario Sunshine.

Yours are just examples of games with lazy developers who made gamecube ports as an afterthought because they knew they wouldnt sell as well on gcn.
PS2 games were grainy and dark, and Xbox was never fully utilized, and hardly had anything worth playing on it anyway.

>> No.6348160

>>6347936
>there's a reason for that
Worse hardware

>> No.6348278

>>6345486
If this post could contain any more cancer, it would be in a medical journal.

>> No.6348339

>>6348146
>Nothing on PS2 or Xbox looked as good as either Rogue Squadron game, or Metroid Prime, or the water effects in Mario Sunshine.
This is a mental illness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3_nbdFlvAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9hfZnZQc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXygn6ImXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5L6kj_tTYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKf5hnpRnO8

Nothing on GameCube even holds the slightest candle compared to these Xbox games. Rogue Squadron is technically overrated, Metroid Prime isn't technically impressive at all (it has a good art style though), and Mario Sunshine was one of the few platformers released in the entire 6th generation to be 30 FPS.

>> No.6348346
File: 230 KB, 1293x937, 14588958355362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6348160
>Worse hardware

>> No.6348506

>>6348339
I notice you only list Xbox games. Why is that?

And plus Conkers BFD is a remake of a N64 game. In any other thread, you would be talking about how shit Conker was and how shit it looked.

In 7th gen, PS3 looked the best.
Now in 8th gen Xbone X is probably looks best, but PS4 looked better than the original Xbone.
In 6th gen, gamecube looked the best.
In 5th gen, it depended what you wanted or thought of as important; PS1 had CD-quality audio and bigger games and could do better FMV sequences; but N64 looked better on average and in-game, and besides had better games anyway, and definitely better multiplayer (at a time when sofa multiplayer was a big selling point).
In 4th gen the SNES outperforms the Mega Drive. For all the brouhaha about "speed", you hardly ever go that fast on Sonic really. First level green hill zone showcases the speed but majority of the game is slow jumping sections. Overall, the SNES was a tad more powerful.

This thread on gamespot, from 2009, before /vr/ autism set in, explains it nicely. Since I can only attach one image per post, and since the important posts are spread throughout this thread, just read it yourself and see.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamecube-vs-xbox-1-graphics-and-specs-26990686/

Last thing I will say is that the gamecube had better games.

>> No.6348516

>>6348346
>irrelevant jpg
Worse hardware

>> No.6348536

>>6348506
>https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamecube-vs-xbox-1-graphics-and-specs-26990686/
That thread is full of complete nonsense by posters who don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about. They are engaging in grade school-tier speculation of specs.

Here's a good example
>The GC also carried 24mb of superior 1T-SRAM that operates 6-8 times faster than regular DDR2 RAM

Even the slowest DDR2 ever made (3.2 GB/s) runs a lot faster than the GameCube's 24 MB of 1T SRAM (2.6 GB/s).

>> No.6348546

>>6348516
Do you believe in magic specs or something? That all of the GameCube numbers can be lower and it's still somehow magically faster than the competition?

Nintendo Magic™ perhaps?

>> No.6348580

>>6348536
Raw specs arent everything, anyway. The N64 is more powerful than the PS1 but in practice many N64 games are foggy and early 64 games from 1996/97 dont really look very good at all with a few notable exceptions.
The PS1 had loading times of course, and also 3D generally was better on N64.

Overall, guys like you are just autistic. Look: Nintendo is a videogames company. They dont have a main company selling TVs, DVDs and CDs (Sony) and arent a multi-billion dollar computer company (Microsoft).
With N64, Nintendo made a solid-state machine to save on manufacturing costs. Rumour has it Sony lost money on each PS1 unit made, and Microsoft lost money on the Xbox line (and probably still does, with a small exception in the 2nd half of the 360s lifespan.)

Nintendo cant take that hit. So they make do with what they can. Nintendo basically saved (or re-booted if you prefer) the home console business, and videogames more generally. Can you imagine if Nintendo had never existed? If they hadnt, you probably wouldnt even have an Xbox or a PlayStation to sperg out on in the first place.

In doing things at their own pace, Nintendo may have in recent years not had the most powerful hardware, but they have created the most iconic videogame characters ever, recognizable even to normies, legitimizing the entire business, and creating family-friendly content is OK with me. Kids need entertainment, too.

You are just a faggy little nigger who is butthurt that Zelda Ocarina of Time wins best game ever lists, and so retcons history to say shit like "Rogue Squadron is technically overrated" and "Nothing on GameCube even holds the slightest candle compared to these Xbox games" "struggled to keep up with the PS2 of all things" and "the gamecube didn't have many good games anyway".

It is as if you dont want Nintendo to exist. Be careful what you wish for. I am not a big Sega fan but the business is all the worse with them gone.

>> No.6348587

>>6348580
>The N64 is more powerful than the PS1 but in practice many N64 games are foggy and early 64 games from 1996/97 dont really look very good at all with a few notable exceptions.
Except there is a specs-related explanation for that. Both N64 and PS1 have similar memory bandwidth, except because the N64 uses z-buffering it's hungrier for bandwidth, leaving less bandwidth for other things like texturing.

I haven't even properly read the rest of your post, it's just whining about stuff that isn't even related to hardware. Yeah yeah, I like Nintendo too but let's not make shit up about what's under the hood in their consoles.

>> No.6348590

>>6348546
I believe in real world practical performance, not spurious hypothetical or irrelevant specs when comparing different architectures. GC is better hardware in almost every way that matters. I don't like its library that much, but the hardware is excellent

>> No.6348597

>>6348546
I would add that all your statements I quote below are untrue. You literally dont have an argument outside of "rogue squadron is overrated" (totally subjective, and most people disagree with you) and your counterargument RE: RE4 is just... eh ? RE4 looks better on gamecube, period. I have played through RE 4 on gc and ps2 and the gc game looks better. I dont really know how else to word this.

Ths PS2 version all fits on one disc, and has Separate Ways bonus feature. But it came out a while later, too, so, meh.

>> No.6348608

>>6348590
>>6348597
These are two different anons

>> No.6348607

>>6348587
>Yeah yeah, I like Nintendo too

It doesnt sound like it.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Sony and Microsoft can basically lose money on creating a high-tech device. Nintendo cant.

Even that being said, the gamecube still looked better than anything else in 6th gen.

>> No.6348636
File: 290 KB, 1366x624, 1447422682792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6348590
>I believe in real world practical performance
Ok, so then I imagine you'd believe in pic related.

>>6348597
All GameCube fanatics can talk about is the PS2 port of RE4, a game that was a GameCube exclusive from its inception. The original PC version of RE4 also looked worse than the GameCube version. Is that because PCs had worse specs than the GameCube or is it cause RE4 was entirely designed for the GameCube's architecture?

>> No.6348650

>>6348346
This is something that confused me while the 6th generation was current. The PS2 was undeniably better on paper, and stuff like >>6347124 helped to solidify the image of the PS2 as the more powerful machine, and this is definitely what I believed as a teen. But then again, there were some third-party ports that undeniably looked better on the GCN, and the first-party titles also had a much more refined air to them. I'm inclined to think some of it is lazy devs, after all the Xbox was undeniably more powerful than both, but the Xbox version of Spidey looks worse than the PS2 version. I also don't believe that the GCN is orders of magnitude less powerful than the PS2. This looks a lot like the PS2 is posting theoretical numbers while the Gamecube is posting achievable ones.

Either way, I picked up my Gamecube from a yard sale for $10 in 2008. Turned out to be a worthwhile investment, and I am definitely glad to have both consoles. On the other hand, I don't really see the appeal of the Xbox. There's nothing in the Xbox game library that either (a) didn't have a better equivalent on another console, (b) didn't play better on a PC, or (c) wasn't generic uninteresting shit. It was literally just a Coppermine P3 meant for upper middle class kids who were too cool for the PS2, but whose parents were not prepared to drop $3,500 on an Alienware Area51.

>> No.6348669

>>6348650
>This looks a lot like the PS2 is posting theoretical numbers while the Gamecube is posting achievable ones.
The only one that is sort of exaggerated is the fill rate / texture fill because the PS2 is designed to constantly write out pixels to the framebuffer every cycle while the GameCube supports things like Early Z which allows pixels to be intelligently rejected before they are output, and it supports many register combines and multi-texturing within the pipeline without having to write out pixels.

That being said, those theoretical PS2 numbers against GameCube hold up when it comes to alpha blending (transparency) performance, because GameCube then has no choice but to output pixels every cycle too.

>> No.6348680

>>6348636
F Zero GX, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Resident Evil re-make, Star Fox Adventures, Zelda Twilight Princess, [the water effects in] Mario Sunshine. Pikmin 1 & 2, Monkey Ball 1 & 2.

I can think of very few games on either PS2 or Xbox that look as good as any of those. Many gamecube games, especially later releases have an option to run at 60 hz. Metroid Prime 2 only ran on 60 hz IIRC.

Soul Calibur II looked best on gamecube, and also had the best bonus character, Link.

>"Is that because PCs had worse specs than the GameCube or is it cause RE4 was entirely designed for the GameCube's architecture?"

You have answered your own question here.

>> No.6348689

>>6348650
At least somebody sees sense.

>>6348669
Look around various videogame forums, especially contemporaneous stuff from 6th gen in the 2000s. Most neutral observers agree that the gamecube looks the best.

Its not *all about* graphics, anyway. San Andreas (and vice city and gta III ) all look like absolute dogshit, 5th gen tier, but theyre the biggest games of 6th gen. Its all about your priorities. Do you want a huge sandbox map, lots of stuff on-screen, and to be able to pimp out bitch whores while running a sleazy immigrant drug cartel, while going on a mass shooting rampage, (cos youre really edgy, like?) - The PS2 and San Andreas is for you.

do you want good, quirky, unique, memorable games with a nice shiny sheen? Buy a gamecube.

>> No.6348721

>>6325217
All of those things that you mentioned are things that carry their meaning on the object itself. A coin is a fucking coin and you don't need anything but human senses to appreciate it.
Games need to be coded by a machine to make sense. Otherwise your collection is just a heap of cloned pieces of plastic. What is the point of collecting hundreds of pieces of plastic indistinguishable from each other? You don't collect games. You collect chips and discs that no human being can appreciate without the help of a machine that doesn't need its chips and discs to translate this games anymore.

>> No.6348725

>>6348636
>All GameCube fanatics can talk about is the PS2 port of RE4
Yeah, it's really low hanging fruit. Like mentioning Wave Racer 64 when talking about early 3D water. We get it, everyone gets it. There are more interesting things to talk about. Get some new material. If you mention the Dreamcast to Gamecube ports though suddenly it matters that these are "bad" ports (they really aren't bad.)

>> No.6348752

>>6348725
I just mentioned loads of other games besides Resi 4, >>6348689.
Speaking of, Wave Race Blue Storm had good water effects for the time.

I also remember FIFA installments generally looking better on gamecube than Ps2. FIFA 2004 on PS2 looked grainy as fuck.

>> No.6348760

>>6348725
Those Dreamcast games didnt look that great on Dreamcast to begin with. DC was impressive for 98/99/00 but all the other 6th gen consoles outperformed it.
And plus, the port of Resi: Code Veronica looks better on gamecube.

>> No.6348770

>>6348636
>Ok, so then I imagine you'd believe in pic related.
Yes, I believe that he wasn't able to make the game he wanted to make on the Gamecube. And GC's still better hardware

>> No.6348779

>>6348752
>FIFA 2004 on PS2 looked grainy as fuck.
Just looked it up, gamecube version looks quite a bit worse. By then developers had a good handle on the limitations of each system and the PS2 had plenty of ways for devs to get more out of the console. Gamecube not so much. Odd comparison.

>> No.6348815

>>6348760
>Those Dreamcast games didnt look that great on Dreamcast to begin with
Doesn't give an excuse for the gamecube versions to look worse.

>> No.6348859

>>6325982
>be actually impressed by it by the presentation of the show
>one of the comments casually lay down all proofs that points to the owner and the rating company trying to boost the price of that game to the stratosphere
lol if you collect games that go above the original retail price

>> No.6348879

>>6331886
you can always collect books, and just take them and read them. With video game collecting, if It's more than one system, It's a huge hassle to have an old tv that fits and cables for all of those consoles. It's just a bother to deal with more than 1 console, which most people most likely want to not be limited to one console, so they just use the cheaper and easier solution.

>> No.6348923

>>6340616
>Collecting anything is basically a visual manifestation of your crippling fear of death
>Don't collect anything, because you'll die someday
The irony

>> No.6348930

>>6348680
Silent hill 2 and 3 are games that looks really good on ps2

>> No.6348934

>>6348859
Before or after inflation?

>> No.6348937

>>6348930
Metal Gear Solid 2 looks great too

>> No.6348946

>>6348680
Shadow of the Colossus, MGS 2 and 3, Silent Hill 2 and 3. Sorry kid, I know technically the GC is slightly more powerful, but no one cared about it enough to take it to the limit, and PS2 yielded some amazing results at the end of its cycle.

>> No.6348951

>>6340704
Archive.org has complete No-Intro romsets available, and it's considered 100% legal since they have a DMCA exception for historical preservation, if you're worried about that.

>> No.6348968

>>6348815
Lol, I literally give an example of a dreamcast port (Code Veronica) that looked BETTER on gamecube and you pull some crap about them looking worse totally out of your ass.

As for Crazy Taxi and the Sonic games. They are a bit more polished on gamecube, probably. Its basically a direct port.

>>6348946
I never said ps2 doesnt have good looking games. Some well made games like MGS 2 (for some reason 3 looked worse) are among the best looking on 6th gen.
If devs were willing to put in the work, and some did, gamecube yielded better results. Why not give examples of games that look as good as the list I provided above?

>> No.6348976
File: 121 KB, 1280x720, dcvsgc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6348968
>They are a bit more polished on gamecube, probably
They look worse, but usually had extra features. Was Gamecube just not as powerful as the Dreamcast? Subscribe to my Youtube channel to find out.

>> No.6349158

>>6347531
yes but he specifically wanted a solution for original discs
>real copies
presumably he knows about ESR otherwise he wouldn't have been so specific

>> No.6349178

>>6347090
Isn't this still reliant on you swapping the disc without the console knowing?

>> No.6349189

>>6348650
it's difficult to compare the ps2 to the gcn, because the architecture was very different
it's not like say, the gcn and wii, where the wii is really pretty much just a faster gcn, so they can be directly compared
they both have different strengths and weaknesses, neither is entirely better than the other
it's also hard to compare by looking at games, since exclusives won't look the same, since they're different games, and multiplatforms will necessarily either be developed with one platform in mind first (making whatever they focus on the best verson), with the others being second-rate, or will be safe and go for a lowest-common-denominator (making them all look about the same)
back in the day, consoles were so different that multiplatforms often needed to be built from scratch on each system, so you could compare platforms that way, but by the 6th gen, systems were similar enough that this was rarely necessary

>> No.6349206

>>6349178
yes, but it comes with tools to do so (bits to block the cover switch(es) and a sliding tool for the phats to open the tray
one advantage for just other region usage is that it stops the disc before swapping
i used this before freemcboot existed, i didn't run into any compatibility issues

>> No.6349215

>>6323943
Collectors take away copies of games from people who actually want to play them.

>> No.6349271

>>6348721
Cool cope brolet

>>6348879
>being too retarded to manage more than one console
wew lad

Sure is kungflu in here

>> No.6349303
File: 71 KB, 1200x900, 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6326674
It's legit. I've used it so far to sell almost a third of my collection. You can also sell games there too and they take less money than Ebay.

>> No.6349362

>>6348636
All ports of RE4 (aside from the wii edition i think) are based off the PS2 version I'm pretty sure. They all look worse than the cube version because they are all using the assets originally from the PS2 version. Even if you get high resolution textures they're still being applied to lower poly models with less advanced lighting. It's not that PC or 7th gen systems "couldn't" do it, this is Capcom we're talking about, the kings of recycling low quality assets for profit.

>> No.6349834

>>6348760
>the port of Resi: Code Veronica looks better on gamecube.
Not really, I actually compared them a while back and they looked pretty much identical.

Dreamcast -> GameCube ports are actually at a risk of looking worse on GameCube because the DC supports the equivalent of 32-bit z-buffering while the GCN supports only 24-bit z-buffering and the DC supports 8-bit destination alpha while the GCN only supports 6-bit destination alpha. You can see increased mach banding in transparencies in Skies of Arcadia Legends compared to the original.

>> No.6350136

>>6349158
so burn a ESR-patched disc or use OPL, what's the fucking problem?

>> No.6350159

>>6350136
that's probably what he's doing
he merely expressed disappointment that he can't use his original discs without a modchip, is that so hard to understand?

since using original discs is closer to what he wants, the better solution is to get a modchip

>> No.6351938

>>6333178
I finally started looking up the value of my games recently and was surprised that Godhand was worth so much, the only ps2 game I have worth anything. I guess it makes sense being a niche action game, derided by reviews and then loved by action gamers.

>> No.6352115
File: 67 KB, 500x334, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This kills the collectorfag and obliterates the NIBfag.

>> No.6352128
File: 69 KB, 1007x627, harvesst money.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6352154

>>6352128
>Mint
I can see wear on the box without even zooming in. Do people on Ebay not understand what "mint condition" means? For example, I was just looking at a listing of a "Like New" copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater today and the disc was covered in scratches. At least that guy had the decency to only charge about 12 bucks for it...

>> No.6352175
File: 11 KB, 196x300, s-l300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gee i have no idea even like 10 years ago i could get something like this for 50 cents now boomers are like i know what i got $150 firm

>> No.6352179

>>6349362
Not only are the RE4 ports based on the PS2 version they've undergone an absolutely garish retexturing job ontop of it. Is reloading the sniper rifle still locked to 30fps?

It's amazing how little they actually care for one of their iconic titles.

>> No.6352207

"You spent $20 on that? TWENTY FUCKING DOLLARS!? Haha boy you got ripped off good I cant even imagine spending $20 on old video games when I got my copy the guy behind McDonalds gave ME $5 to take it he said he just wanted it gone good deals exists you just gotta know where to look that's the problem with all you new collectors driving up the market price you brought it on yourself just gotta hustle get up early hit the flea market..."

>> No.6352349

>>6352154
people on ebay don't understand what anything means. see the thousands of consoles labeled "launch edition" from all throughout a console's life because ebay suggests it to you when you list.

>> No.6353041

>>6348976
No they didn't, especially SA1. It looked significantly worse on DC unless you had nostalgia goggles strapped on too tight.

>> No.6353158

>Imagine spending money on something you could get for free

The only reason to buy a video game is to support the devs. Anything else is pure autism.

>> No.6353971

Are the "new" Gamecube 1019 Memory cards on ebay all chinese fakes? Am I better off getting a used loose 1019?

>> No.6354521

>>6332292
Much this

>> No.6354540
File: 277 KB, 668x490, 1587266398525.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323943
Because you used to be able to have a really good collection for cheap. All the posers got in around 5 years ago and the market when to complete hell. It's because of these collectors everything is so god damn expensive now.

You are so daft. You don't realize that the people who hate on collectors WERE COLLECTING BEFORE THEM. We are but hurt we can't walk into a thrift store anymore and grab a gamecube for $10 or get carts for cheap.

Thats why everdrives are beautiful. It fucks up your shelf collecting identity and makes you look mentally ill for dropping $500 on a fucking plastic CD of Lunar on Sega CD.

YOU DID NOT PROTECT THE HOBBY
You came in and RUINED IT.

Thats why we hate you

>> No.6354545

>>6353971
1.) NOT RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.) "Are the "new" Gamecube 1019 Memory cards on ebay all chinese fakes?"
Take a wild guess.
3.) several games have issues with the 1019-cards, stick to 251s.

>> No.6354863

>>6332784
all the niche horror games

>> No.6354883

>>6336726
are you retarded anon https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/

>> No.6354921

>>6354883
You don't know what a transformer is?

>> No.6355020

>>6354921
A robot in disguise

>> No.6355051

>>6341009
what i was able to play ntsc game on my pal console fine without any fuckery you aren't using a modded slim ps2 are you?

>> No.6355062

>>6355051
I should've said tray open sensor, because on slims it is pretty trivial to disc swap. If you can play original copies from a different region than your console just by putting them in, you have a modchip. If you don't have a modchip, you have to use fuckery like cogswap or Swap Magic where you put in a native game, then take it out and swap in the imported one.
>>6354545
The vast majority of games work with 1019, just have one or two smaller ones for the edge cases.

>> No.6355228
File: 506 KB, 800x450, am_190530_hoarding_clutter_800x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323964
>it's literally just hoarding.

Imagine not being able to tell the difference between a bookshelf with things put in order and a house filled with piles of random crap tot he point you can't transverse it.

>> No.6355547

what I like about game collecting is finding old games at garage sales and thrift stores and shit

don't get any of that thrill buying in game stores

or on ebay

>> No.6355813

>>6348680
Get your point basically; GC overall had the best looking games of the gen. Halo on xbox was the only non-GC stunner in that gen.

>> No.6355816

>>6355813
>GC overall had the best looking games of the gen. Halo on xbox was the only non-GC stunner in that gen.
No offence, but you have to be pretty blinkered to actually think this.

>> No.6355818

>>6348580
>I am not a big Sega fan but the business is all the worse with them gone.

Never thought of this but yeah I agree.