[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 768 KB, 1200x673, Doom64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6319316 No.6319316 [Reply] [Original]

How come no one told me old school doom was this good? Is Doom 1+2 even better? I bought both for the PC, but haven't played it yet.

>> No.6319327

The games are good, bethesda is a shit company though. Why dont you just use a sourceport and play on your PC for free?

>> No.6319330

>>6319327
I only found out about being able to do this yesterday, and it was too late.

>> No.6319332

All you need are the wads you can find them in the doom general. Paying for retro games is a waste of money.

>> No.6319352

Arcane Dimensions mod for quake is very good and its free. Give that a try. All you need is quake 1 pak files and quakespasm.

>> No.6319361

>>6319352
I have heard about that mod before... what makes it so good? I am definitely willing to try it out.

>> No.6319362

>>6319316
Go over here and read the OP >>6316794 that's all you need.

>> No.6319379

>>6319361
Massive intricate levels
New enemies
New guns
New hub

It is really good you have to play it to understand.

>> No.6319395

>>6319316
>How come no one told me old school doom was this good?
It's one of those things where people don't need to tell you, people still talk about it so you get the idea that it's worth checking and you form your own opinion from there. Like you should with anything culturally significant that you feel is worth looking at, like you did and props to you. Look at some of the other old idtech 1 games if you're into it.

>> No.6319443

>>6319379
Ok, well I will have to try it out.

>> No.6319452

>>6319316
Bruh play doom 2

>> No.6319468

>>6319316
>Is Doom 1+2 even better?

They're basically the same exact gameplay wise, but Doom 2 has more monsters than both Doom 1 and Doom 64.

But the monster designs and atmosphere in Doom 64 are basically unique to that game.

>> No.6319571

>>6319395
The funny thing is, I am not a fan of fps games, so I figured doom and the like were overrated. I should have figured it was only the modern games perverting an entire genre.

>> No.6319624

>>6319332
>Paying for retro games is a waste of money
Paying for modern games is a waste of money. Spending money on physical copies of classic games rarely disappoints

>> No.6319778

>>6319624
go away

>> No.6319815

Doom 1 and 2 are better in my opinion, but play in a decent source port and not in this shit that Nerve programmed and that Bethesda for some reason allowed to be sold even if it doesn't pass the quality test of any minimally serious company. Doom 64 source port is decent, but the same cannot be said for this shit that Nerve did.
I recommend PRBoom+ for the source port.

Many people say that Doom 64 is superior than the first two, but because some people tend to value more aesthetics and ambience, which is totally valid.
However Doom 64 has a serious problem, in my view, in the combat part. The player always has a lot of ammo and health, and the fighting is usually easy to understand. You don't have to think too much, just shoot and dodge, shoot and dodge, etc. An experienced player will pass most levels by playing blind without feeling really challenged.
The Lost Levels greatly improve the experience at the end, and serve to show how much better Doom 64 would be with a decent map design.
If you play the Bethesda version of Doom 1 and 2, they already come with some add ons that are megawads made by the community and that show how fun and complex Doom can be with an appropriate map design. Try Double Impact and No Rest for The Living.

>> No.6319967

>>6319624
I'm not lining the pockets of greasy resellers. I'd rather buy official re-releases and send the message that "These are the types of games I am willing to pay for you to make more of", and even then, I am more likely to emulate since modern re-releases have been handled incompetently ever since 8th gen.

>> No.6319969

>>6319571
Same, I hate FPS games but Doom is great.

>> No.6320045

>>6319316
is everyone ITT 12 years old or what

>> No.6320065 [DELETED] 
File: 80 KB, 379x500, FoxCorp___81qCqbXkvZL._SY500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

From Baby Take-A-Bow to Curlytop and Heidi America's favorite little darling Shirley Temple has been entertaining us for generations. And now through this exclusive TV offer, you can experience the most comprehensive DVD collection of one of the brightest stars in film history but you havent seen Shirley until youve seen her brilliantly restored in b&w,and in color! Presenting the Shirley Temple Little Darling DVD Collection!Eighteen timeless films packed with hours of her unforgettable singing spectacular dancing, and pure wholesome fun the entire family will enjoy together! These classic Shirley Temple films have stood the test of time, and you'll cherish sharing these heartwarming adventures again and again with your family and friends! Bring home the magic of Shirley Temple, with the new Shirley Temple Little Darling DVD Collection! 18 classic family films, beautifully restored in b&w and in color for just2 payments of $24.99 Call now and recieve this collectible photo of Shirley Temple, absolutely free with your paid order! This collection is not sold in stores and only available through this exclusive TV offer! If these priceless movies could lift a nation during the worst of times, Imagine what they could do for you and your family today! Tales of innocense, friendship, courage, hope, and love! and now you can enjoy the original b&w movies, and the beautifully restored color versions, all in one amazing DVD collection, at the most incredible price! These films have been digitally restored and remastered to preserve their integrity and quality! This is a limited time offer, so don't miss your opportunity to own the most complete Shirley Temple DVD collection ever! Call now to order your special edition Shirley Temple Little Darling DVD Collection! 18 classic films in b&w and in color, plus this Shirley Temple collectible photo, all for just two payments of $24.99+5.99 shipping and handling! This offer is not sold in stores so call now! Rush delivery available.

>> No.6320416

>>6319327
The PC approximations of D64 aren't as accurate as this release.

>> No.6320424

>>6319316
Brutal Doom 64 and original Brutal Doom are fun to play around with, although not a very traditional way to play the games.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom

>> No.6320427

>>6320416
He's talking about DOOM 1 and 2

>> No.6320434

>>6320427
...on Nintendo switch, which are both inferior compared to PC sourceports.

>> No.6320441

Mate, Doom is fucking amazing. It's a shame you experienced doom 64 first, but only because it's a little bit of an expansion; an interesting take on classic doom. It's still a fantastic game, but people love it because it takes what we loved about the first 2 games, and adds an atmospheric twist. Still, finish it, and if you want more, play the first 2. The combat is just so much fun, and you have to understand, those graphics at that time blew our minds. Maybe it's goofy today, but look at other games of the time to give yourself some context, and you'll surely see why people lost their shit over doom. It's the complete package, amazing graphics, iconic sounds, a distinct style and timeless gameplay.

>> No.6320467

>>6320434
...What? All I'm saying is that >>6319327 wasn't talking about D64 sourceports, but doom 1 and 2's

>> No.6320490

>>6320467
doom 1 and 2 source ports aren’t as faithful as chocolate doom is

>> No.6320516

>>6320490
chocolate doom is a source port you dumb fuck

>> No.6320518

Blood, hexen and heretic are better

>> No.6320523

Now try Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior.
Also, Doom mods. There are some amazing mods for doom.

>> No.6320539

>>6319316
everyone in your life has been telling you classic doom is great

original three chapters of Doom 1 are the best in terms of level design and music.

>> No.6320542
File: 29 KB, 499x500, 1353133644129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How many goddamn simultaneous DOOM threads do you faggots need? Jesus fucking christ.

>> No.6320651

>>6320516
My bad, I usually think of gzdoom and all that with the term

>> No.6321906

>>6320427
Oh gotcha, yeah those ports aren't great. The XBLA versions still take the cake as far as console conversions go.

>> No.6322084

>>6319316
Doom and Doom 2 are a lot better, yes (but Doom 64 is good too).
Try CrispyDoom on PC, just pirate the iwads and you're in business. There's hundreds of good mapsets and mods people have made for the past 25+ years.

>>6319361
Really fun and gorgeous level design. I played it just a few months back, and I was having a very good time throughout it; the exploration is great, the aesthetics are top notch, the action is intense. The new monsters and weapons are a lot of fun.

>> No.6322130

>>6319571
Not a lot of modern FPS games are particularly good. There's a lot of stinkers in the past, but some rather mediocre and even subpar franchises are popular with casuals these days, stuff like Call Of Duty and Overwatch.

If you want more fun shooters, you should check out ones from 2009 and earlier, there's more fun ones in the 2000s and 1990s.

>> No.6322172

>>6319815
The new ports of classic Doom were atrocious out of the gate, but they did fix them up to the point that they're fine.

Still, a PC sourceport obviously gives you much better options, Bethesda is curating some good level sets, which is fine for consoles, but with CrispyDoom, PrBoom+, or GzDoom, you don't need to wait for curation, you can just play whatever, even stuff Bethesda won't publish for their own port.

>>6320542
Doom is popular right now, and the new ports of the old games bring in a lot of new interest, get used to it.

>> No.6322718

>>6322172
>you can just play whatever, even stuff Bethesda won't publish for their own port
Yes, but a newbie will probably be lost in the middle of so much content or simply end up installing Brutal Doom.

>> No.6322724

>>6319316
Doom 2 Netplay Question:
I downloaded gzdoom-g4.4pre-131-g5490ffcd7.dmg, from https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-mac/, and am running Doom 2, peer to peer, on macOS 10.15.3. I start the game with the following command:

>cd /Applications/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS
>./gzdoom -host 2
If I add additional arguments, such as "-skill 4" or "-teamdamage 1", they have no effect. I can turn teamdamage on in the console after the game begins, but I can't change the difficulty mid-game, so I'm stumped, because all the guides say I'm doing this correctly by appending it on the command line.

I have one more question. When I used to play vanilla Doom 2 netplay over a modem, players would not keep their weapons when they died. The behavior I'm seeing now is extra weapons everywhere, which can only be collected once, are kept in inventory permanently even after death, and can't be picked up again, for eg. in subsequent levels to replenish ammo. Therefore, ammo can only be picked up from ammo powerups, and not from weapons, save for enemy weapon drops. We end up with all the guns, but constantly running out of ammo. This is vaguely familiar as an alternative game mode, but I can't remember. Any insight into this, please?

>> No.6322727

>>6319316
>Is Doom 1+2 even better?
You'll probably like 1.
2 is more liked for being a base for other WADs and the MP.

Otherwise yeah, lot of 2.5d shooters have that snappy pacing and intricate levels. Check out the Build Engine games after you're done.

>> No.6322739

>>6322724
>SV_NoWeaponSpawn >SV_Coop_LoseInventory
OK, I see these commands, but still, my first question remains. Why didn't additional command line arguments work? for example
>./gzdoom -host 2 -skill 0 -teamdamage 1
starts a game with teamdamage still off and the difficulty still at the default.

>> No.6322751

>>6322724
Fuck me, I think it's just a + instead of a - for those additional arguments
>https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs
so maybe "+skill 3 +teamdamage 1 +SV_NoWeaponSpawn +SV_Coop_LoseInventory"

>> No.6322763

>>6322718
Don't worry, I know better. I won't be going into Brutal Doom.

>> No.6323126

>>6322130
Man, the greatest CoD era was MW1 - Black Ops. Holy shit. I still cherish these memories. I was a kid when I played MW. It blew my mind. Good times.

>> No.6323132

>>6322727
>2 is more liked for the super shotgun
Now that I think about it, isn't it a pretty boring design? It's just a fucking shotgun. They could've added a barrel or two to make it even more iconic.

>> No.6323441
File: 268 KB, 546x546, 1585149091909.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6320427
>PC recent port by Bethesda for Doom 1-2 have local co-op with split screen
Nah, that is what I have always wanted for PC and they served it to me ready to eat

>> No.6323460

>>6323441
no stop youre hurting the caco :(

>> No.6323461

>>6323132
I'd say the simplicity is part of the appeal. Less is more in some situations.
You go crazy with the enemies and levels, and then leave players with a simple woodstock sawn-off as their anchor to normalcy, and they latch on.

>> No.6323664
File: 137 KB, 853x466, ED2_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6323132
They were fairly influenced by Evil Dead 2.

>> No.6324238

I am playing this game too. I am in the mid teens and the levels are still really fun, but I feel like the first 8 levels were the best. Is it just downhill from here?

>> No.6324285

>>6319316
>how come no one told me...

Calling bullshit right there. There's been a doom general on this very board since its inception. Something like 7 years ago, I believe. And doom pops up on every "best games of all time" list ever written.

You'd have to literally live under a rock to not know classic doom was highly regarded.

>> No.6324292

>>6324238
All Doom I levels are very good.

>> No.6324336

>>6324238
The first 8 levels, do mean the new bonus levels in the new port?
Anyway, I've seen a lot of zoomers in recent months saying how the base game holds up and is fun (without having to involve mods or advanced sourceports), which makes me feel happy, and vindicated, like I'm not (just) a crotchety old man clinging to nostalgia, and that people will continue to see Doom for what it is; a fun game.

At any rate, if you enjoy classic Doom, know that there's absolute mountains of really good level packs out there, some which are as good, even better than the original ones. The Cacowards is an ok short list of noteworthy ones, but there's a lot more out there than what they list each year.

>>6324292
Pretty much. There's like a few which I don't think is all that great (I don't care much for E2M9, E3M5, and E3M6, but a lot of people don't agree with me on that), but overall it ranges from quite decent to very good. Episode 2 is my favorite part by far.

Doom 2 has a few more not so good levels (a more commonly held opinion, though some think that Doom 2's levels are irredeemable, which is something I don't agree with at all).

>> No.6324389

>>6324336
>'m not (just) a crotchety old man clinging to nostalgia
As a zoomer who started playing doom seriously a few weeks ago, it's a really fun game. I thought for a long time I didn't like FPS games but I guess the modern ones just kinda suck.

It's funny since my first experience with doom was actually with Brutal Doom back in 2014. I enjoyed the novelty for a day or two then got completely bored and never touched the game again. Now I'm addicted to the vanilla game.

>> No.6324398

>>6324389
As far as mods go, there's far more interesting and creative ones than Brutal Doom.

>> No.6324406

>>6324398
I tried other gameplay mods that change the game dramatically but they didn't really do much for me either. Vanilla just works.

>> No.6324410

>>6324398
Not him but Doom mods and maps were never really appealing, maybe pretty but not fun. Furthermore the community always tried to copy features from modern games rather than try something on their own, I used to think Skulltag was the exception to the rule but then I remembered it came around slightly after Quake III came out, with every feature being attempts at copying aspects of Quake III. ZDoom Wars was just an expansion of Doom Wars, probably the only original game mode created by someone in the community in a timeframe of 25 years.

>> No.6324414

>>6319316
doom 1 yes. doom 2 no except the super shotgun and only 2 of the dlcs the bethesda version comes with are good.

>> No.6324438

>>6324406
>>6324410
It'll depend on what you like, of course. For instance, Hideous Destructor would probably not appeal to a person who doesn't like games such as Arma and SWAT 4. I like what some people do with the base formula, changing it just a little, only somewhat, changing it a lot, or building an almost entirely new game, and they all generally tend to work (or mostly work) with existing level sets.

For maps, I think that's the best part of Doom, there's so many sets which are great to play with just the vanilla gameplay still (I still even play with the GBA ports once in a while, and those are so crummy, lol), and a lot of the charm with new mapsets is that they're still really good with the vanilla gameplay.

>> No.6326595

>>6324438
I like Arma, would I like Hideous Destructor?

>> No.6326701

Wow, level 15 is garbage.

>> No.6326714

>>6319316
advertising/shilling is against the rules.

>> No.6326735
File: 2.94 MB, 640x360, Hideous Destructor, Cyberbullying.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6326595
You might.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTX38yJK4o

It has the most realistic weapon/inventory handling and management of all Doom mods, and the most realistic wound mechanics, open wounds need to be patched up, being set on fire means you need to put yourself out (which helps if you take off your armor and roll around in liquid), limbs can be broken, impeding your movement. That said, it's still Doom, even if you take a shot and you start bleeding, you can keep powering through if you patch yourself up in time, Berserk can let you tolerate really pretty surreal injuries, and allow you to move and fight in pretty crazy ways, and if you find magic healing (such as potion bottles or soul/mega spheres), you can heal yourself of even the most aggravated injuries that you couldn't normally fix with any medical equipment.

What sets it apart from games like SWAT and Arma is that your enemies, aside from zombies and traitor marines, aren't just dudes with guns, but are demons, and they're made to be far more dangerous; they have tricks up their (proverbial) sleeves, and they fight far better. The notion is that a group of demons would be able to realistically be a real threat to a group of modern soldiers.
You have tricks up your sleeve as well, including all sorts of useful equipment like hand grenades, remote explosives, aforementioned Berserk and other powerups, automated gun drones and turrets (which zombies might employ against you sometimes), weapons to destroy locked doors and level geometry (to limited degrees), and certain movement abilities.

The difficulty is somewhat adjustable (particularly for some of the more insidious elements), and there's mods to tweak it further, as well as skin packs and what not for weapon variety. You'll want to set up some of the binds. One of the important things to remember is that the demons will never ever play fair with you, which is why you should never bother playing fair with them.

>> No.6326741
File: 2.94 MB, 1280x720, Hideous Destructor, Breaching.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6326595
One of the quirks of HD is that not every level out there will be realistically beatable, or only on some specific ifs. That said, the original three episodes for Doom, E1, E2, and E3, are actually quite playable, and would be a good place for someone interested in HD to start (aside from maybe doing the bootcamp first).

>> No.6327154

>>6320467
Doom 64 doesn't have a source port, just a close approximation.

>> No.6327176

>>6319969
That's because Doom focuses on usage of specific weapons on specific enemies, and not aiming like most FPS after it became.

>> No.6327360

>>6324285
Came here to say pretty much this.

>> No.6327562

>>6327176
Quake and Duke does that a lot, which I like a lot about them.

>> No.6327703

>>6322763
Brutal Doom is not bad. Several Doom mods are super fun and interesting, and in my opinion Brutal Doom is one of them.
The problem is that like many mods, it breaks some aspects of the game. And the classic Dooms are so timeless because luckily the devs got a very good combination of weapons, monsters, etc.
The problem is that many newbies who go straight to certain mods end up thinking that the vanilla version is obsolete, when in fact the core of it is, in my opinion, what provides the best experiences with the game.
But download Brutal Doom too, and other interesting mods that modify the gameplay. They guarantee several hours of fun.

>> No.6327761
File: 174 KB, 960x540, Dungeons & Demons 08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6319316
All you newfags need to lurk the Doom general. OP you could have posted there instead of starting a new thread

For anyone interested, here is a really good custom map set, recommended to you by yours truly, Anonymous:
> https://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/111782
It's a Dungeons & Dragons/medieval themed level set. All the weapons function the same, but the plasma rifle is now cast from your hand like a spell, and the BFG is cast from a scepter, pic related. The monsters are mostly the same with just sprite changes; only a small amount of monsters behave differently.

How to use:
1) Have Doom 2.
2) Download Crispy Doom source port
3) Put Doom 2 and this custom WAD in the Crispy Doom folder
4) Click and drag the custom WAD file onto Crispy Doom
5) Get on the floor
6) Everybody walk the dinosaur

It's a very difficult map set so start on difficulty 1 or 2. It's short and sweet, too, only 9 or so short maps

>> No.6327764

>>6319316
It's okay but I started getting tired of it's shit when it just started using hell knights and barons as it's primary enemies.

>> No.6327772

>>6319332
OP didn't actually say he paid for it, you retard. Switch isn't hard to pirate for.

>> No.6328230

>>6327761
God forbid I start my own thread. Thx for the rec though.

>> No.6328318

I thought Doom64 was a port of the first game for WAY longer than I care to admit.
I like it better than 1 and 2 these days

>> No.6329580

>>6319332
Who gives a shit?

>> No.6329676

>>6319316
Stupid nintendrone

>> No.6329687

>>6323126
>Being a kid in 2007
I need to get out of this place

>> No.6331429

>>6319332
To be fair: The Doom64 port was developed by Kaiser of the Doom community who made the PC port and all the code that makes it playable in GZDoom, so throwing $5 towards that company isn't a big deal.

I also just like playing things on my Switch.