[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 184 KB, 1024x768, RE2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6316242 No.6316242 [Reply] [Original]

Despite the technological limitations they are so replayable, it's fucking amazing.

>> No.6316272 [DELETED] 

Fewer games were released and they were more expensive so they were generally expected to have a lot of replayability. Also people just getting into it seem to have low expectations out of them and get to be pleasantly surprised.

There are some very good modern games though. There being SO MANY of them and the developers being much more in touch with their market means there are games that are made for people with tastes JUST like yours specifically but yeah the lack of replayability is something that regularly disappoints me about modern games after I've found one I really enjoyed and completed it.

>> No.6316292

It sincerely depends on the generation. If anyone tries to tell me NES games were consistently better than modern games, I'd have to laugh them out of the building. Quality control was a major issue, difficulty was revolved around the arcade mindset without the arcade backgrop, and the amount of time it took to beat a game was reliant less on being genuinely full of content and moreso just being insanely obtuse.

You could make an argument that there were certainly pockets of retro gaming that overshadow present gaming. Retro RTS games are still held in high regard for good reason. SNES era platformers were of very high quality a lot of the time, usually much more creative and memorable than whatever indie pixel art tripe is pushed through today.

For my money, I'd still put the PS2 era as some of the highest quality times in gaming. Lots of variety, lots of experimentation, and a very healthy mix of AAA and AA titles. I'm not a nostalgiafag, not by a long shot. I play lots of newer games. But I can't deny that there was something very special about that generation specifically. It feels like the point in time where everything started to converge, and the glue started to hold up. Ideas were being fully realized, and genres were being reinvented regularly.

so tl;dr, kinda yes, kinda no, retro is too broad a term

>> No.6316318 [DELETED] 

>>6316272
Indie games are garbage

>> No.6316324

>>6316242
>RE2 on N64
Gross. As per your question, yes.

>> No.6316338

>>6316272
What the fuck are you talking about? Take your derivative indie garbage out of the equation theres barely anything to play. Retro games existed when the video game industry actually had a middle market. genre diversity was also at its peak, their are entire genres of games that haven't seen a release since the seventh gen.

>> No.6316339

>>6316242
It's a stupid premise, unless you have a well defined cutoff point for "retro" which this board doesn't have. Predatory microtransaction practices have existed since Double Dragon 3 arcade.

>> No.6316350
File: 24 KB, 625x626, thisisbait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316339

>> No.6316367

>>6316350
Ah, the "I have no argument" pic.

>> No.6316379

>>6316242
There are good retro games and there are also bad ones.
There are good modern games and there are also bad ones.

There is no reason to pick one over the other exclusively.

>> No.6316382

>>6316242
That's a really broad question so lets limit it down to that N64 copy of Resident Evil 2. If you enjoy playing that original RE2 more than the remake for whatever reason, then it's "better" for you. Maybe you like the way the polys look or the gameplay just feels better for you or something.

For me, other times there are retro games where no modern equivalent exists. For example the Megaman Legends games. I haven't played any game that worked quite like those games and it's a real shame.

>> No.6316397

Sometimes a development team just has a happy accident and they end up making something people will want to play for years and years. I think people remember the good games and they forget the bad ones.

>> No.6316405

>>6316242
Sometimes

>> No.6316415
File: 50 KB, 625x626, 64419965.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316339
This board does have a well defined cut off point for retro. I reiterate my point

>> No.6316887

>>6316292
>SNES era platformers were of very high quality

It had some pretty solid RPG's too, like Chrono, SoM, BoF II, etc.

The SNES just has an impressive library all around that still holds the test of time.

>> No.6316924

>>6316242
Back then game devs catered to gamers, nowadays they cater to casuals and it shows.

>> No.6316967

>>6316292
>I'd still put the PS2 era as some of the highest quality times in gaming
Shouldn’t reveal your zoom zoom this quickly in your post

>> No.6317159

Games had the balls to end and not string you along for expansion after expansion on their endless grind daily challenge live service treadmill.

Contentcucks and the "value for money" mentality is the real killer of video games.

>> No.6317216

maybe, but I like some modern games. Dwarf Fortress is fun.

>> No.6317282

>>6316967
Shut up faggot

>> No.6317302

>>6316272
its thanks to limitations that development is able to be actively confined to an understood parameter in terms of the 'quality' of assets useable depending of course on the hardware it had to perform on and the team's asset/abilities regarding their capabilities in making something for said hardware.

its our limitations we have to thank in general for anything getting done in life, trust me.

think about it.

>> No.6317304
File: 128 KB, 500x404, 1571324703281.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316367
>this level of baiting cringe
no thanks

>> No.6317342

>>6317282
An hero nigger

>> No.6317357
File: 2.55 MB, 400x252, 130927615839.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316292

>> No.6317475

>>6316292
cool story reddit

>> No.6317578

>>6316339
>unless you have a well defined cutoff point for "retro" which this board doesn't have
>board literally has an exact well defined cutoff date
And retarded babies like you are the reason why

>> No.6317645

>>6316242
>Are retro games better than modern games?
Very much so
>>6316339
Haha

>> No.6317685

Generally yeah but some modern games are okay. The new doom was a fun game, and people really seem to like that animals crossing game.

>> No.6317697

>>6316292
>difficulty was revolved around the arcade mindset
You're unintentionally arguing in favour of the 8-bit gen
>NES
>SNES
>PS2 - it feels like the point in time where everything started to converge, and the glue started to hold up...
and as visually striking primitive polys in 240p, and beautiful 2D sprites in 240p, were being fazed out; as licensed soundtracks became far more prevalent; as relatively market-blind experimentation faded; and as crucial elements to the medium like interesting physics that demand and inspire mastery; and a conscious or unconscious willingness to let players be lost, confused and frustrated, were replaced by business savvy, smoother gentler difficulty curves and genericization; and as the cancer that is Microsoft's game division pushed its way into consoles; video games--despite the emergence of a spattering of modern classics like Gitaroo Man and Ico--started to slide down into a pit of uninspired boring ugliness while catering better than ever before to modern mass sensibilities, a trend that maybe peaked a generation later with the abysmal Xbox 360/PS3/Wii triumvirate, and now has at best only mildly abated

NES > SNES >>> PS2

>> No.6317723

>>6316379
>There is no reason to pick one over the other exclusively.

No, it's obligatory to like one and hate the other, how we are supposed to argue all the time if you don't?

>> No.6317736

>>6316242
Only the retro classics that stood the test of time will always be better than modern games, the rest ranges from inferior in every aspect at best, to absolute shit at worst.

>> No.6317737

Sometimes yes sometimes no.

>> No.6317741

>>6317736
In other words, retro games are better than modern games

>> No.6317743

>>6316242
>Are retro games better than modern games?
no, but this is /vr/, so guess what people are gonna prefer.

>> No.6317761

yes because they were games. not cinematic experiences that catered to a mass audience. games were made for gamers. they also didn't hold your hand, and being bad ass at the game was tied to skill, not pressing a button combination and then watching an animation.

there are still good games being made, but retro games will always be superior imo.

>> No.6317770

>>6317761
There's as much cinematic non-games in the 5th generation as there are these days.

Still my ranking of retro generations goes:
5>4>6>3

>> No.6317796

>>6316967
zoomers would be like 1 year old when the PS2 launched faggot

>> No.6317801

I think art is a manifestation of our problem-solving oriented mind, so it's no wonder that art created under severe limitations tends to have, for lack of a better word, an almost tangible soul that something created with almost no limits as to what you can do.

We also enjoy seeing things that obviously aren't real but that capture the reality of something, somehow. Pixel art is mosaic art, and modern AAA graphics feel tacky in the same way soap operas that are filmed at 60fps. There's a reason why lower frame rates feel more "cinematic".

>> No.6317806

>>6317342
choke on a dick

>> No.6318050 [DELETED] 

>>6317806
Eat shit jew

>> No.6319143
File: 2.52 MB, 5000x2635, 1581019930173 - hoenn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316242
I'd say no for Fighting games. All the best retro fighting games are actually 6th gen, and plenty of those were still surpassed later anyway, like the whole of traditional 2D by platform fighters, or DOA2 by DOA3 and then DOA4.
JSR to JSRF.
FreeRadical's N64 FPS to Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect.
Rhythm games in their infancy by the likes of Guitar Hero and obscure Japanese arcade and PC titles.
Yugioh got better on the whole as the 2000s went on.
Pokemon got more refined and varied.

There are plenty of instances and trends where post-retro games surpassed their retro predecessors.

>> No.6319153

>>6317801
>Pixel art is mosaic art

Good way of putting it.

Anyway, not really. But as a huge fan of platformers and 2d graphics in general, I play old games all the time because its slim pickings.

>> No.6319181

When people think of "modern" games they often think of "cinematic" kinda games like the Uncharted series, however there are also modern games like pic related that play like old games except more streamlined and refined. I fuggin love this game plays like a combination of that old Aladdin game and Megaman 8 and even a bit of X4 in there. If I had this game as a kid I would have lost my mind.

>> No.6319189

If you're going to use a buzzword, use it properly you faggot.

>> No.6319191
File: 309 KB, 469x512, unnamed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Forgot pic related.

>> No.6319229
File: 3.77 MB, 1064x1989, RE2 Leon B + Leon A + Clair B + HUNK + EXL1 GCN Full Results 28-3-2020.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316242
There's a reason RE2 is replayable
>2 campaigns with 2 different halves
>Ranking System allowing for unlocks
>Unlocks include new weapons, 4th Survivor and Tofu Survivor
>Can hunt down all the files and EX Files (N64)
>can also unlock Randomizer Mode (N64)
>can unlock EX Battle and go through all 3 Lvls and unlock Ada and Chris (PSX Dualshock/DC/PC)
>Arranged Mode + Arranged Mode A/S Rank

>> No.6319261
File: 119 KB, 225x227, 1516294787194.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316242
There are plenty of modern games I love, but I find myself more interested in older games. I think there are multiple reasons for this, firstly, we have a "filter" effect where we remember all the old good games that came out, but don't remember all the bad ones unless they were really bad or associated with an existing franchise, secondly, I think that many devlopers are focussed so much on getting a game released on a deadline, and given how games are so much more complex and expensive (resource wise) that they don't get to exactly polish and refine a game much before its released and will then focus on patching any issues that crop up that product is ultimately fine, but it's just not as good as it could be where in ye olden times, developers only really had 1 chance to release a game, so would work on it as much as possible and ensure it was fully completed before it left the building which resulted in a "better", or more complete product. I think this even extends to the indie developers who are going to be more experimental and try new and interesting ideas, it's very rare that I see or play an indie game that feels fully fleshed out, so many of them are just released as soon as they are "done" but not before they are polished into their full potential. Lastly, I think the user experience is just so much worse now in terms of buying and installing and playing games, go back 20+ years, a PC game comes in a big ornate box, a decently sized manual, maybe some other freebies like a poster and a CD you install and play the game with, usually with a cutesy installer custom to the game and then you just play it, where now there's just no extra love or attention put into it, it's just a download from Steam (which can take days on my slow internet) and then usually a patch on top of that. I know games are a mass produced product, but I like to be sold on the illusion that somebody cared. Or maybe I just have my nostalgia goggles on way too tight.

>> No.6319272

>>6319181
I only like that game because it has a linear action platformer mode as a bonus.

>> No.6319308

Into the Breach is a new game, I liked that one quite a bit

>> No.6319471

>>6316242
They have no DLC or gacha bullshit, so of course.

>> No.6319527

>>6316242
I dont really understand the appeal of these games. The shooting is bad, the movement is eh, the puzzles are eh, the exploration is alright, the atmosphere is alright, the inventory management is alright, its not really scary, and thats it. So can someone explain it to me?

>> No.6319539

>>6319527
They are meant to be like a real-time puzzle that motivates the player with suspenseful encounters rather than being a pure action experience. RE4 leaned more towards action-horror and it is the only RE game I actually own.

>> No.6319614

>>6319181
>there are also modern games like pic related that play like old games
People say this, and it seems true, but then when I try to play most of these games for more than a few minutes I either get bored or I find the art or music or level design uninteresting, or there's a bunch of verbose text breaking up the pacing... there's almost always something about them that despite my initial enthusiasm almost always leaves me feeling unmoved by modern "retro" games

And I haven't liked any of the Shantae games I've tried. They're boring and ugly

>> No.6319621

>>6319527
Hence why Resident Evil VI and V are the two best-selling RE games last I've heard.

>> No.6319629
File: 2.83 MB, 424x240, 4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6319614
They aren't really "retro" in any way other than the soundtracks. And the new ones have a flash aesthetic.

"retro" isn't what I look for in a game though. Fun gameplay and killer graphics and music are, and since 2d games look better than polygon game, they often fall under that label.

I play a lot of old games because they generally looked better and were more challenging in the past, and there's a lot of them. New releases are slow.

>> No.6319637

>>6319629
Not him but I look for complexity and depth in my games and retro games are generally too simplistic, like your gif shows.

>> No.6319828
File: 1.12 MB, 512x480, 1584781312361.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They were generally far more cognizant of the fact that they were games first and foremost. Often times when you buy something now you're getting about two thirds of an okayish game that comes with a third of crappy tv show, if not 50/50 or more in some cases. The amount of time you spend with a controller in your hands not doing anything has increased dramatically, to the extent in the mid-2000's they felt compelled to put qte's in the cutscenes to convince you that it still is in fact a video game. They're a bit more subtle about it now sometimes but the walk and talks, this room is locked until we're done showing you our not-cutscene and so on are often more obnoxious. To say nothing of the "helper" characters that are right in your ear constantly blathering inanely about both nothing and everything under the sun the entire game. It's odd to me that so many made fun of Navi for being annoying in OoT but even the people that despise contemporary games enough to rip them apart hardly ever even note this. Given all this type of garbage replaying a game often sounds about as pleasant as slamming your cock in a drawer, with much effort bent towards figuring out how to skip and ignore everything, and even if you do it shows fairly starkly how much development was wasted and built around things you can only really stomach once. Not that developers were auteurs in the old days, in a lot of ways you can see that they wanted to make what we have now, but it was far more movies being beaten into game shape than the other way around, the technology basically forced them into avoiding many of the current pitfalls. A succinct intro and some brief highlights here and there to set the stage for bosses typically is all you really need, brevity is very much a forgotten virtue. I think this is why the Souls series made the splash it did, in many ways it reminded the world what medium they were in, as it had a far more traditional rhythm to it than many current offerings.

>> No.6319837

>>6316339
>Predatory microtransaction practices have existed since Double Dragon 3 arcade.

DD3 is also a terrible fucking game in a sea of good arcade games that can be 1cc'd or are reasonably difficult enough that you can beat them in 5-10 credits if you're new at it. The fact that this game is always used for this argument by you retards says something.

>> No.6319870

>>6316272
> they were more expensive
Games are way more expensive these days. They can cost millions - which is WHY they are so generic. This might seem counter-intuitive, but it's because if a company is pouring millions into a game, they want to see profit returns, so they go for a formula that is more likely to please normies, rather than have a project led by artists who demand to have it their way like it used to be.

I heard this in the John Carmack Joe Rogan interview; I don't have a time-stamp so you'll just have to check it out. Skip the first ten or twenty minutes; it's just Carmack shilling his VR product

>> No.6319881

>>6316242
I think that comes down to personal taste. But for me personally, I would say so, yeah. I didn't really play many games as a kid because I was too poor to afford games so I only played Mario and a scant handful of games based on cartoons I watched. It wasn't until I got older and had disposable income that I could choose a wider variety of games, and I chose to try more than just the latest and greatest, I wanted to try what I missed growing up and I found more often than not, that games made before mid 2000's were a lot more entertaining to me than what we've got today.

Seems like now, games inflate their budget and put everything into making sure dust particles and individual hairs look right instead of anything actually meaningful, and everything that doesn't do that has to have an unwelcomed gimmick.

>> No.6319889

Why the fuck aren't there massive game series compilations of titles which never made it to PC? RESIDENT EVIL: Survivor is one.

RESIDENT EVIL 2 is better on PC, Dreamcast, and GameCube. DualShock PS1 > N64.

>> No.6319890

>>6316242
It depends on the mood I'm in. Some days I really want to play Persona 5/Dragon Quest 11. And some days I want to play Advance Wars/Legend of Zelda.

>> No.6319893

>>6319870
>Games are way more expensive these days. They can cost millions - which is WHY they are so generic. This might seem counter-intuitive, but it's because if a company is pouring millions into a game, they want to see profit returns, so they go for a formula that is more likely to please normies, rather than have a project led by artists who demand to have it their way like it used to be.

This. It's the same reason why Hollywood is now just shitting out boring clone superhero movies off an assembly line -- they make money, nobody wants to lose money, so no suit is going to risk money on a big question mark when they can get a guaranteed return out of Call Of Captain America

>> No.6319903 [DELETED] 
File: 23 KB, 256x365, Tony_Hawk's_Pro_Skater_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm emulating PS2 games right now and they have such a crisp quality to them. Something like THPS5 could never have existed then, where 90% of the game had to be downloaded in a patch.

But I feel like the game equivalent of a coomer, where I'm downloading iso after iso because one game triggers another "Oh The Warriors, gotta get Tony Hawk, gotta get Onimusha, gotta get Maximo, gotta get Castlevania Lament of Innocence, gotta get Shadow of Rome etc", and I really can't do that with the PS3 or the 360 library because honestly neither were really that good and their few good games were ported to PC anyway. Another positive (or negative) is that so many PC ports around that time were dog shit like Prince of Persia Sands of Time, so emulating it on the PS2 just makes more sense.

>> No.6319920

>>6319903
This also applies to the PS1/N64 era, where you get games like Dino Crisis 1/2 or Parasite Eve 1/2. Or even Fear Effect 1/2.

And what do we get these days? Dark Souls, and that's pretty good I guess - but could you imagine the 360 or PS4 eras with quick turn around games that are actually quality like those ones I mentioned? The PS2 getting 4 Onimusha games was actually crazy in retrospect.

>> No.6319924

>>6319920
>these days? Dark Souls
makes me wonder what days you're living in that Dark Souls is in them

>> No.6319927

>>6319924
Sekiro just came out last year.

>> No.6319997

>>6319903
I feel like 2006-2012 were notably worse than 2012-2020.

>> No.6320032

>>6319997
2006-2009 was decent and probably better than 2012 onward

>> No.6320051

>>6316242
They tend to have better gameplay mechanics because they couldn't get away with impressing people through cinematics

>> No.6320107

>>6320032
I have to disagree but my favourite genre are RPG's, and those years were abysmal.

>> No.6320110

>>6320107
>those years were abysmal
In general, yes.
However, I personally regard Fable II Platinum, Dokapon Kingdom, and Baroque well enough. But if you're a CRPG guy I can see how you'd feel that way, what with the revival this decade.

>> No.6320131

>>6319870
>>6319893
uhhh guys he's saying that games were more expensive for the consumer to purchase, not the development costs.

>> No.6320136

>>6316292
>SNES era platformers were of very high quality a lot of the time, usually much more creative and memorable than whatever indie pixel art tripe is pushed through today.
IDK man. I mean, don't get me wrong, a lot of platformers from that time are brilliant, but it was also the most popular genre so a TON of shitty ones came out (bubsy hehehe). And on the flip side a lot of indie platformers today are stellar as well.

>> No.6320148

>>6316324

RE2 on n64 is the best version you plebian dork

>> No.6320154

>>6316242
Personally something I really like about retro games that isn't as prevalent nowadays (especially in the AAA market) is the games often felt like very unique experiences even if they weren't trying to be. A game could have been a complete rip off of something popular yet still have its own quirks. Nowadays, it feels like control schemes and mechanics become standardized the minute they become popular, when was the last time you played a shooter that didn't use dual sticks for example? I haven't personally played the game so i have no idea if its good or not, but I can appreciate death stranding for moving away from that.

>> No.6320160

>>6320154
To explain myself clearer: think about Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Yes, Mortal Kombat took heavy inspiration from SF but became something uniquely its own. I feel like if this was happening today it would be more like "Oh, SF has 3 punches and 3 kicks so we should too, and make sure holding the opposite direction is block"

>> No.6320179

>>6316242
As a developer myself, it's exactly BECAUSE of the technological limitations which kept us devs creative and let us overthink stuff twice or more instead pushing shit in.

>> No.6320546

>>6319828
You're not alone. I feel exactly the same about everything you said

>> No.6320550

>>6320148
>RE2 on n64 is the best version
PS1 version is the best

>> No.6320637
File: 61 KB, 640x908, Resident_Evil_2_(GC)_(NA).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6320148
N64 has the most content, for sure, but the best version, taking into account character models, FMV compression, meaningful extras, etc., out of the box, with no patches or mods, is easily Gamecube.

>> No.6320659

>>6320131
Unless you're an addict who plays gambling games like mobile games or call of duty, this isn't the case. SNES games could reach $70 in 90s dollars.

>> No.6320680

>>6320637
>out of the box, with no patches or mods
No 240p, no thanks

>> No.6320809

>>6316242
No, but 3D set modern game design back a decade or so. For a lot of games 3D or being able to better render 3D environments added very little to the game mechanics or even made games worse in general. Trying to judge distance in a 3D platformer is far more difficult than in a 2D one, to the point where 3D platformers need to give the player a margin of error via some form of hovering or forcing a 2D perspective so it becomes a 2D platformer. Fighting games maintained 2D gameplay despite having 3D models for a good fucking reason.

Loads of games and genres that stuck to 2D are for the most part outright better than earlier games in their genre. A lot of early game design was throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks, bad modern design is unquestionably keeping every old element because that's what's always been in that ruleset (genre). Good modern games would be something highly refined like Invisible Inc or hyper focused like Disco Elysium. Hell for 2D action games things are a hell of a lot better because they don't have to deal with the slowdown old hardware would force onto players, now I think Armored Armadillo's stage is damn near unplayable due to huge segments of slowdown.

>> No.6320817

>>6319637
Challenge and skill based gameplay is more important than "depth". Which is a vague term. I'd take a well crafted platformer any day over Europa Universalis, which is a bloated mess of redundant mechanics.

>> No.6321838

>>6320809
>forcing a 2D perspective so it becomes a 2D platformer.
Which games do this? Mario does it occasionally still but it seems like more of a novelty "hey remember NES SMB!?" sort of thing.

>> No.6321873

>>6321838
Whenever accurate, well timed platforming with a bottomless pit penalty happens the camera gets fixed to a 2D perspective. Rainbow Cruise does this at some points, as did Tick Tock Clock and some portions of bowser levels.

>> No.6322098

>>6316292
How can anyone have nostalgia for PlayStation 2? It only came out a few years ago.

>> No.6322115

>>6317801 >>6319153
If pixel art is a mosaic, then what games are photorealism?

>> No.6322261

>>6319828
>I think this is why the Souls series made the splash it did, in many ways it reminded the world what medium they were in, as it had a far more traditional rhythm to it than many current offerings.
I agree. I remember when I first played Dark Souls I thought "Wow, this game feels old." and at the time I wasn't sure why but now I know.

>> No.6322269

>>6319614
>>6319629
How do you two feel about Shovel Knight?

>> No.6322274

>>6322098
Grandpa...

>> No.6322303

>>6322098
The PS2 released almost 20 years ago
People have been born and gone off to fight in the forever wars in the middle east since then

Its now old enough that modern tv's don't have the required inputs to display it and tv's from 6-8 years ago can't display it properly

The only reason its not considered retro yet is that the majority of this board's residents have arbitrary opinions on what does and doesn't count and don't want to admit they're old now

>> No.6322334

>>6322269
I enjoyed it and was glad I picked it up. Wasn't blown away like with Blazing Chrome, though. I think I liked the Specter campaign the most.

>> No.6322338

IMO the industry started jumping the shark when 7th generation really got going. I haven't owned an eighth gen console and I have no desire to. For someone like me there is nothing to play between AAA rehash and mediocre indie game

>> No.6322350

>>6322303
>The PS2 released almost 20 years ago
My, how time flies...

>> No.6322352

>>6320148
>dogshit-tier port that heavily downgrades nearly everything to fit on a shitty cart
It's the best at being shit. Modded PC version is the best, PS version is second best.

>> No.6322469
File: 27 KB, 388x384, 1526389809012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6322303

>> No.6322491

>>6320148
ok retard

>> No.6322502

>>6322469
No tears hear, geriatric boomer, I'm having fun playing my PS2 alongside my other retro consoles
Shouldn't you be dying of the plague or watching fox news or going to be or whatever it is old people do at 9.30pm?

>> No.6322512

>>6322502
Mad as fuck LMAO. Zoomie tears are taste sweeter, must be all that soi.

>> No.6322514

>>6322502
Cope harder zoomerfag.

>> No.6322517

>>6316242
I'm just here to remind you NDS was the best modern console, it went with a surprising ammount of quality, quantity and variety. I was like a cross between snes, psx and gba. Awesome.

>> No.6322518

>>6322502
>boomer
Nigga, I'm Gen X.

>> No.6322565
File: 2.06 MB, 1920x1200, twitpic-35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6322098
>a few years ago
a few years ago the world trade center was still standing.

>> No.6322689
File: 47 KB, 273x246, 1529458599944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316242
Replace 60s with 90s and music with video games, and this interview perfectly describes why retro games where better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4wsURn3rw

>> No.6322816

>>6322518
the tell tale sign of a boomer

>> No.6322941

>>6322816
ok zoomer

>> No.6323043

>>6322303
>the majority of this board's residents have arbitrary opinions on what does and doesn't count and don't want to admit they're old now
The best thing about /vr/ is that it's niche and slow. Do you really want the entire board to turn into one big PS2 general?

>> No.6323061 [DELETED] 

>>6317302
That's exactly the thing that's good about modern indie games. Now that there are fully established channels of digital distribution anybody can make a game but small studios are under time and budgetary limitations. Nearly anything is technologically possible but to get their game out they have to focus on delivering the very specific gaming experience they visualized, often in an extremely distilled form. It's good stuff, it just takes some perseverance to find the right games for you.

>>6316338
>their are entire genres of games that haven't seen a release since the seventh gen.
Like what for example? I'm genuinely curious considering that in the last ten years tens of thousands of games have been produced.

>> No.6323117

>>6316967
Aren't the earliest Zoomers born in 1998? No one knows how to play video games when they're 2 yrs old.

>> No.6323145

>>6323117
The official definition of zoomer, as defined in ISO ZOOM is (You)

>> No.6323317

>>6323117
Starts Autumn of 1996; no later than 1997.

>> No.6323450

>>6323043
Nope, but I don't think it would

>> No.6323860

>>6316242
In most cases, yes.
It is no surprise that most of the acclaimed titles from the past few years have had this older vibe to them.

>> No.6324738

>>6322689
I can definitely see there being something to this. Having games made by people that didn't grow up on them isn't something we're ever going to get back.

>> No.6324938 [DELETED] 
File: 15 KB, 228x279, 1517772261673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6320550
>>6322352
>>6322491

n64 version has by far the best content and replayability. so for actual fans of the game, ie. people that play it regularly, and not casual fucking scum like yourselves, its the best version of the game to have by a wide margin.

if differences in graphics between versions of games that are all two decades old really matter that much to you, i suggest killing yourself

>> No.6325312

>>6324938
>butchers the fmvs in both framerate and resolution
>butchers the audio with disgusting low quality compression
Are you the guy that shills the n64 versions of indiana jones and rogue squadron in every thread?

>> No.6325410

>>6323450
Really now?
Fucking really?
Imagine what kind of threads we'd get
>MGSfags from /v/ fucking pile in
>constant threads about shitty failed platformers from the 3D age like Tak and Tai and Jak
>20 "I'M GONNA KILL PRAXIS" threads, plus another 5 "YOUR SUIT SUCKS"
>Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog thread influx
>threads with you faggots whining for GCN and XBox to be included
>GTAfaggots coming here to sperg about 'muh nostalgia'
>re threads get infested with 4fags

>> No.6325418

>>6324938
>no EX Battle
Haha, no.
Randomizer is no Advanced Mode.

>> No.6325430

>>6316242
No they're not. I can't go back to retro RPG's after playing the modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Can't stomach retro FPS gunplay anymore after GTA IV, RDR1, FEAR, RO2, and other modern shooters. Retro games are cheap and non demanding though, that's the only thing they have going for.

>> No.6325953

>>6322115
Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball

>> No.6326686

>>6325430
Bait

>> No.6326752

>>6320637
>Coulda bought this when it was $30
>Now it's +$150
Fuck scalpers. Seriously.

>> No.6326909

>>6325430
>the modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout games
Yuck

>> No.6326916

>>6326752
It's better on PS1 anyway. That Digital Foundry geek doesn't understand art

>> No.6326948

>>6323061
thanks gramps i knew you'd be the only one to understand. i feel like 99.9% of this board doesn't understand a thing or two about game development or how limitations are our best friend. if people just understood their limits and how to use them to their advantage and make something original, we'd be in a better place.

have a good day gramps. hope you and your close ones have been safe.

>> No.6326991
File: 60 KB, 589x768, 1557164933974.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6316242
the last time anyone ran the calculations it was a resounding yes. by a 37.43% margin wow!

>> No.6327136 [DELETED] 

>>6326948
Yeah we're in a county where there's only been 4 confirmed cases and supposedly today is our state's peak. Isolation is no problem for me but my father in law is an emergency services worker in an urban area and it's been killing the wife not to be able to visit her parents. Her sister just had a baby gender reveal through Zoom. It's a girl!

>> No.6327141

>>6316887
fuck off reddit

>> No.6327282

>>6326752
>not already owning all the RE games on gamecube since they came out

>> No.6327359

>>6316967
>being this much of a contrarian faggot
>calling others zoomers
Incredible

>> No.6327367

>>6317578
And it splits dreamcast games from PS2 games, which you just have to look at to know it's completely arbitrary. It's fuckdiculous.

>> No.6327370

>>6317304
>This level of frogposting and denial
You're the rabies killing this website. Kill yourself, you fat fuck.

>> No.6327371

>>6319837
Why, because it's absolutely true? Your shit-for-brains rebuttal is that "game is bad, so it doesn't count." But it was the very start of a trend you attribute to much newer games.
Feeling upset is not a counter argument. There is a reason why it's always used in debates like this, you ridiculous idiot.

>> No.6327418

>>6322303
You're right that the PS2 is getting old. But from a technical standpoint, 6th generation games are way too modern to ever fit in the same category as the current /vr/ definition. Stop trying to ruin /vr/. It's amazing that we can even discuss 5th generation here. Take the modern stuff to /v/.

Going with the retarded idea that consoles just become retro after X years, we would be discussing microtransactions and DLC on /vr/ in 6 years.

>> No.6327420

>>6327367
true, /vr/ should go back to 4th-gen-or-older. >>>2

>> No.6327426

>>6327370
ok zoomer

>> No.6327429

>>6327136
oh my god man im praying for your FIL he stays safe. their saying the masks aren't protecting enough for the workers in the field that get up close and personal. Congratulations on the reveal! Another addition to the line. Stay well and healthy man.

>> No.6327430

wait.. what just happened? why are janitors deleting anything to do with conversation what the fuck are your guys problems?

>> No.6327448

I think OG RE2 has the best atmosphere of all the RE games.

There, I said it.

>> No.6327454
File: 412 KB, 958x2048, 1565063578111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6327426
>and i am le boomer XD
Do your parents a favor and kill yourself.

>> No.6327472

>>6322303
>Is John Lennon a Baroque Era composer YET? It's been a long time!

>> No.6327489

>>6327454
>angry baby is angry

>> No.6327508

>>6327489
post more frogs, redditor, do your thing.

>> No.6327509

>>6327472
>ah yes, 1978 to 1998, the retro period.

>> No.6327910

it's mostly taste but there are some games types that felt like they reached their best balance a few years ago and now either are overbloated, focusing on the wrong things, or just plain can't hit that sweet spot again for whatever reason.
You would think doing SRPGs better than Final Fantasy Tactics would trivially easy at this point but most people still point to it as the gold standard. Also, I guess this is more personal and a weird stance, but I think GBA had the best era of Super Robot Wars in term of ease of entry, the convenient speed you can get from turning on the system to jumping into a skirmish, even some of the animations, especially in SRWJ, work great in the restriction of an SNES with a lower resolution