[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 34 KB, 775x396, QBU5c8MIwc2jPsUvCiFzBIrLG2KUfPtA2Tk3NjEihfo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6315391 No.6315391 [Reply] [Original]

Let's have an oldschool fanboy war, shall we? I'd like to see you taking stance on Sierra vs LucasArts. Who made objectively better adventure games? Who got the best art directors? Whose dialogue lines were more legendary? Why do you think your choice is right?

>> No.6315426
File: 51 KB, 800x400, Thimbleweed-Park-blade-800x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The developer's still haven't buried the hatchet either it seems

>> No.6315432

>>6315391
Lucasarts because of Monkey Island and Sam & Max
I don't know if I ever played any Sierrasoft adventure games though

>> No.6315438

I like both but I'll always settle for the company that didn't actively hate the player.

>> No.6315442
File: 24 KB, 256x317, 1580411658515.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Peak Sierra is better than peak LucasArts, but Sierra had a lot of ups and downs and the general quality of LucasArts catalog was better.

>> No.6315465

LucasArts mastered the adventure game design and didn't actively try to fuck the player up in the ass, but in other hand Sierra had that edge and writing where LucasArts didn't even dare to touch such as serial killers and bob-vegena-coom. LucasArts games are fun because of the quirky writing and puzzles, but Sierra games are fun because they expect the player to think like a madman. I love them both, but I like LucasArts adventure games better because they can be enjoyed even when I haven't slept well and can't think straight.

>> No.6315467

LucasArts was a better studio. Their adventure games are still part of the discussion, Sierra's not as much. It's also worth noting that LA's other software is absolutely fantastic, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, etc, are all god-tier.

>> No.6315528

>>6315467
>It's also worth noting that LA's other software is absolutely fantastic

Sierra also had bunch of other non-adventure games in their selection such as SWAT 3, Half-Life, and Arcanum.

>> No.6315675

Day of the Tentacle is better than the entire Sierra catalogue.

>> No.6315679
File: 96 KB, 258x205, wrstl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If we're really talking Sierra vs. LucasArts, we should consider artistic and technical merit of games that each studio themselves developed, not every other game they published for another developer. (Any producer credits on other games don't count) :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierra_Entertainment_video_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

>> No.6315682

>>6315467
>Their adventure games are still part of the discussion, Sierra's not as much
That's arguably because Sierra fell prey to the "easier = better" gaming zeitgeist which has been taking over the industry for over 20 years.

It's easy to imagine how LucasArt's no death philosophy fits better with the modern-day gamer who just wants to find the path of least resistance to just get through the story and cross off a game from their backlog. The idea of thinking carefully about your actions because death is around the corner is anathema to this kind of gamer.

>> No.6315701

>>6315682
Holy cope Sierra fags

>> No.6315707

>>6315701
Year after year, Sierra adventure games would outsell LucasArts adventure games despite being harder and less casual.

The games didn't change. The average quality of gamer changed

>> No.6315713

>>6315707
>grug popular = better
Also even back then in the 90s people considered LucasArts to be better adventure games in general.

>> No.6315714

>>6315707
And they were inferior to LucasArts.
The average gamer had always shit taste.

>> No.6315729

>>6315714
I'll trust the average gamer more than some obnoxious asshole on /vr/.

>> No.6315950

Lucas Arts is the obvious answer here without a doubt. If you pick Sierra you just want to be edgy and have another opinion. for the sake of having another opinion. Lucas Arts were number 1. They INVENTED the genre of point and click adventures, that should already be enough. Sure I've played Sierra and Lucas games and I wanted to like them both but I also tried to overlook a lot of flaws Sierra games have because I always pitied the underdog. The everything kills you shit was awful in Sierra games. A lot of puzzles are far fetched. If you ignore every "type in solution I don't know what that means" game the Sierra catalogue shrinks down dramatically. Lucas games have a GREAT art style. They also knew about angles and perspectives. There are a lot of adventure games that just feel FLAT. I found out the trick is to have an interesting perspective, put stuff in the foreground, than have your main "stage" with your character and after that a background. This is a principal Lucas games would always follow and it would make things interesting. Sierra often ignored this, granted I remember an old Kings Quest where you where looking into a room in one screen (Lucas called "screens" "rooms", what did Sierra call them?). What Sierra game is actually interesting? I LOVE Larry 7 to this day, it's really hilarious and clever.

>> No.6315953 [DELETED] 

LucasArts has Starwars. Hard to beat that.

>> No.6315958

>>6315950
The graphic is nice, too. Larry 6 is alright but has a really weird art style where everything looks like they filled stuff with texture paint buckets or gradients or what not. It looks weird. As much as I claimed I used to love the Larry games I don't. They aren't that great. Everything with Patty is annoying. Kings Quest ... well 7 looks NICE I give you that but that's also where it ends for Sierra. EVERY Lucas Arts adventure game is a classic and master piece, seriously every one. There isn't a single stinker. Say that about a company. By that I mean their point and click adventure games. FUCK Grim Fandago for their 3d shit. I hated Grim when it came out because it killed 3d and had stupid as fuck puzzles. To make matters worse such an engine was expensive so of course they used the same engine for Monkey Island 4 which is awful, yes Monkey Island 4 is the ONE stinker Lucas produced and I hate it but that's the fault of Grim Fandago which killed the 2d point and click genre. As much as people love Full Throttle and I suppose it is a classic I hate it , too. The puzzles just suck and there isn't nothing likeable about the main character. Fuck Grim Fandago and Fuck Full Throttle. Now that I think about it: FUCK Tim Schafer, you suck!

>> No.6316004

>>6315958
Grim Fandango is massively overrated, but MI4 is underrated (although still worse than MI1 to MI3). It at least improves on GF's interface by giving you a fast exit button and a real inventory. Neither is the worst LucasArts adventure (that's Full Throttle).

>> No.6316084

>>6316004
>that's Full Throttle

it's really bad, I couldn't agree more. Tim Schafer is just a terrible designer.
My favourite part is where you have to hide behind something from the police. something that doesn't even show up as an object. that's just bad game design. if you hover your mouse over something and it says nothing it means you can't interact with it. this only gets beaten by Indiana Jones 3 where you have to do the three trails and the first one with the blades you do
>pick up
and you just click on the ground.

>> No.6317632

How come King's Quest VII isn't more popular? easily one of the most beautiful retro PC games. Great waifu too.

>> No.6317679

>>6316084
In the ending, you have to escape on your bike, which is hidden by the edge of the screen. They fuck with the scrolling so you have to try to walk past the edge of the screen to find it, even though from your character's point of view he would see it immediately. If you walk out you game over.

>> No.6317693

Sierra had a bigger catalog than LucasArts and they started in the Apple II days so they go back to a much earlier era. Also Sierra was always an Apple and PC-focused company while LucasArts were focused on the C64 in their early years. LucasArts also put out far better Amiga ports than Sierra's completely phoned-in ones. Sierra also dabbled in non-adventure game genres such as educational titles and arcade games, and even briefly made application software.

A lot of LucasArts' design philosophy came out of their adventure games originally being developed for the C64 which didn't have the memory to support a complex text parser like Sierra's AGI engine so they developed the idea of pointing and clicking on verbs instead.

>> No.6317695

>>6315958
>As much as I claimed I used to love the Larry games I don't. They aren't that great.
Out of all of Sierra's game series, Larry has aged the worst overall, it's way too tied into the pop culture of the 80s-90s to hold up at all.

>> No.6317713

>>6315391
>Who made objectively better adventure games?
Neither; any answer to who was better is subjective

>> No.6317721
File: 260 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sierra published adventures of mutant jews so they win

>> No.6317742

>>6315442
Ever heard about the effect of scale?
Sierra, due to the sheer volume of their output, ends up producing still more good games than LucasArt, simply because they managed to produce more in general. Handful of fuck-ups? Doesn't matter in the grand picture.

>> No.6317746

>>6317632
Because VI was peak of the series and any comparison (especially as a "direct" "sequel") to it makes other entries look bad

>> No.6317793
File: 51 KB, 640x400, TGD2Zx1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sierra's games were awesome. That said, everyone of their games would had been greatly improved by Lucas Arts style and interface.

And no, it's not about the "you can die" thing. You could die in Indiana Jones games and Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken... Is because they feel more "solid" somehow.

And Lucas Arts also had graphic designers who knew the concept of Color Palettes and playing with lights and perspectives, which does a lot. Even pic related, an airport hall in Indy3, feels lush, and they were using the same technology to create games but felt much more advanced due to artistic vision

>> No.6317798

>>6315426
what does /vr/ think of Tumbleweed Park? I loved it at first but the game seemed to fell flat midgame towards the ending, which I strangely foreshadowed very early.

I'd love the game to be about a crime investigation with some occult elements, but once that masquerade begins to fall to a Meta-Videogame reality, magic faded rapidly. Also I'd liked best the early previews who felt even more "maniac mansion" kind of retro

The part where you played a Ghost was my favorite, no doubt about it.

The most awesome parts, however, like the occult shop, the sewers or the federal investigation side are criminally underused

>> No.6318132

>>6317721
They published it but it's a Coktel Vision game.

>> No.6318141

the old lucas logo is comfy...how does it do it

>> No.6318421
File: 86 KB, 639x477, KQVII.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6317746
Alright VI is good but while the graphics are nice, they look like typical graphics/art style, you also have stuff like Kyrandia and many others.
KQ VII, on the other hand, had a more unique art style. More vibrant colors, that disney/don bluth character design style (like it or not, it's different from the more generic designs of previous games).
It's stupid to diminish a game's qualities just because you like the prequel better. But it happens with so many games.

>> No.6318580

>>6317679
Now this is what I call BAD GAME DESIGN.
How the fuck did Lard Schafer get away with it and why do so many people suck the dick of Full Throttle? It's just a bad game.

>> No.6318787

>>6315391
hello zoomer faggot here who has only played flash point and click games like submachine. which sierra and lucas arts games are the best? which should I avoid? I tried space quest online but I kept getting laserd

>> No.6318912

Full Throttle has comfy as hecc visuals and music, but any non-adventure game inspired mechanics in adventure games tend to be really bad or distracting at best. Full Throttle is no exception. Who thought it was a good idea to put action gameplay in game that is -or at least should be- all about using your brain to solve puzzles? It's not that I hate action games, I just hate badly executed action mechanics. They break the pacing and they usually suck because they're running on engine that is simply not designed for such things. They're just as bad as stealth sections in action games (ie. that one mission in San Andreas where you're suddenly expected to sneak around like Sam Fisher with barely functional stealth).

>> No.6318932
File: 140 KB, 416x416, mi2_puzzle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this kills the non-native English speaking players

>> No.6319004
File: 977 KB, 500x332, sote_samm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LucasArts

>> No.6319068

>>6318421
Wanna see good version of KQ VII?
Try Prince and Coward instead. Good graphics combined with good gameplay and puzzles

>> No.6319071

>>6318932
And "this" being...?

>> No.6319090

>>6319071
The fucking monkey wrench. I hated this puzzle as a kid too. One of the reasons I don't like MI2 as much as the first one.

>> No.6319094
File: 30 KB, 480x360, KQVII_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6319068
Looks nice but still not the same kind of art direction KQ VII got.

>> No.6319207

>>6315729
Ok the average non-/vr/ gamer who has played these games thinks LucasArts is better lol

>> No.6319286
File: 2.35 MB, 320x180, 1526960069079.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6315432

>> No.6320183

Sierra developed the Quest For Glory series, which continues to hold up for me, so has the edge over Lucasarts there. I found not being able to die when I was stuck on a puzzle more frustrating than cathartically murdering my character a few times and walking away, so that didn't help.

Police Quest series is pretty bad, though. No surprise nobody tried to revive it like the other Sierra lines.

>> No.6320216
File: 107 KB, 616x434, rogue sqaudron one of the best games ever.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6319004
100% why does anyone think it's a contest?
Pic related (along with SotE) count as real SW films to me with enhancements.
The amount of time I've spent on both is unreal, and with SotE, I nearly killed an N64 power brick.

>> No.6320232

>>6319090
Dunno, never played any MI game, so go figure. But yeah, it sounds like a fucking nightmare to figure out you should be using monkey as a wrench if you aren't Anglo. For the record, such key is called "frog" in my native and generally speaking, it's just "adjustable wrench" for them as a tool.

>> No.6320236

>>6315714
Sup, nu-/vr/!
I guess it must be hard for you to imagine vidya industry in pre-mass marketing and pre-internet age, but imagine a situation where average gamer isn't a brainwashed retard following hype train. Amazing, right?
That's the era where Sierra had prominence.

>> No.6320241

I prefer LucasArts games mainly because Monkey Island was my childhood, but also because their games don't have cheap deaths.

>> No.6320252

>>6318932
In fairness the creators said they never would put in a puzzle like this again purely because no amount of problem-solving makes sense if you don't understand language-specific colloquialisms.

>> No.6320254

>>6318932
>>6319090
>>6320232
Everyone bitches about that puzzle but for me it was the "if this is 4, what's this?' sequence. That shit made no sense to me as a kid, and in true 90s childhood fashion, I had to have my older brother beat it for me.

>> No.6320389

>>6320183
>Police Quest series is pretty bad, though. No surprise nobody tried to revive it like the other Sierra lines.

They evolved into SWAT series, and that's a series that begs to be revived. Remaster of SWAT 4 could possibly even revive the entire tactical shooter genre by showing the new audiences what actual tactical shooting is all about.

>> No.6320394

>>6315528
Sierra didn't actually make those games though. Also one thing that needs to be said is the graphics and animation in Sierra adventure games is pretty shit and clearly not done by animators like the Lucas Arts games.

>> No.6320413

>>6317798
I was expecting better animations, also I was kinda disappointed for the maniac mansion character style (objectively the worst).
The puzzles were fine, I guess.
Not remotely comparable to Fate of Atlantis in terms of story and atmosphere, though.

>> No.6320420

>>6315391
Sierra games would have been much more enjoyable if not missing one item in a no-longer accessible zone would fuck you up with often no idea of what you were missing.

>> No.6320436

>>6315958
>Lucas arts didnt have 1 stinker.
>yes, grim fandango and monkey island 4 were stinkers.
>i love leisure suit larry
>well, i didnt really like leisure suit larry
make up your fuckin mind, turbo.

>> No.6320449

Sierra has Gabriel Knight so it dunks on every movie IP Lucas could desperately scrounge to go against it.

>> No.6320460

>>6320254
We cracked that code and later used it as a "password" among my friends IRL

>> No.6321159

>>6320389
I tend to stick to the adventure games when it comes to Sierra's in-house product in terms of power rankings, can't speak to SWAT having only played the first shitty FMV one. But goddamn the only good ones in Police Quest are 1 and -maybe- 4 before it evolved into SWAT.

Sierra Series Power Rankings:
QFG > Gabriel Knight > Space Quest = King's Quest = LSL > Manhunter > Laura Bow > Police Quest

>> No.6321186

>>6320449
Downside is that Sierra also has Gabriel Knight 3. 1 great and 1 really good game out of 3 ain't bad though.

>> No.6321454

Hello fellas, adventure n00b here.
What are some of the essentials of the genre for someone new? Doesn't need to be exclusively Sierra or LucasArts games

>> No.6321469

>>6321454
Discworld

>> No.6321474

>>6321454
Historically important: Colossal Cave Adventure, Zork, King's Quest 1, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island (which is also a great game and worth playing even if you don't care about the history)
Artistically important: Loom (preferably the EGA version), Grim Fandango
Perfection of the genre, and my top recommendation: Day of the Tentacle

>> No.6321478

>>6321186
Isn't Gabriel Knight2 also good? At least it's considered as best example of FMV working in games.

>> No.6321484

>>6321474
I feel like Myst belongs in 'Historically important'

>> No.6321515

>>6321478
GK 2 is a masterpiece. Anyone dismissing it because it's FMV is a massive pleb.

>> No.6321517

>>6321484
Yes. And so does The 7th Guest, but don't play that one because it's shit.

>> No.6321525

>>6319068
Is there an english version?

>> No.6321545

>>6321454
I would start with Monkey Island.

>> No.6321550

>>6321454
Yeah, hence "really good." I think GK1 is the stronger piece, but GK2 holds up. The only stinker is 3, but what a stinker it is.

>> No.6321560

>>6321515
The FMV isn't the problem as much as it is some bugs that'll cut you off from completing important puzzles in some of Gabriel's chapters, and this is where the cracks in Jane Jensen's story style of "Angry sexual tension between troubled male lead and his assistant" start to show, though they don't really come full force until Gray Matter.

>> No.6321570

>>6321454
Discworld, Tex Murphy series, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, Syberia,...
There's a lot of them, but you're probably better off starting with classics before going for deeper cuts.
The first Broken Sword is a good game for beginners even if you can die and despite that fucking goat.

>> No.6321592

>>6321560
GK1 is pretty damn buggy too. The part with the fucking mummy is probably worse than anything else in the series.

>> No.6321601

>>6321570
Forgot about Blade Runner. Amazing game.

>> No.6321610

>>6321592
I don't think I ever had a problem with the mummy except for being too slow to move into a new room. Was this corrected in the CD version?

>> No.6321612

>>6321550
Are you the guy from Valve who thought GK3 killed adventure games?
It's not that bad.

>> No.6321624

>>6321612
I think it should have stayed 2D, Sierra's experiments with in-house 3D games like GK3 and Mask of Eternity were a mess. If anything, I think the big selling point for LA over Sierra is that LA was less prone to chase new tech in their games unless it could be incorporated effectively.

>> No.6321625
File: 152 KB, 400x290, full-on fisting.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6315391
#1 Tie Fighter, #2 Sam and Max #3 Island of Doctor Brain

>> No.6321631

>>6315707
Ken Williams himself said it.
When Sierra games first came out, the average gamer was older, wealthier, and more educated. The Sierra games typically were more cerebral in comparison to the Nintendo games they were competing against.

>> No.6321640

>>6321624
I mean, every big name should have stayed 2D in a perfect world, but it wasn't the way the industry was going. They had to sell games first and blocky-looking 3d games with terrible controls were the AAA games in those days.
Broken Sword 3D games are way worse in my opinion. There's a guy in this thread shitting on Lucasarts 3D games, but they were the company that made the better transition.

>> No.6321653

>>6321631
He should have said instead "we made shitty punitive puzzles because otherwise people would be pissed finishing their brand new games in half an hour".

>> No.6321671

>>6321640
I agree. I like Sierra games better but their failure to transition makes me think of them as a "90s company" in a way that LucasArts doesn't because of all the experiments with FMV and early 3D and all the other bits of the multimedia age.

>> No.6321824

>>6321454
monkey island / day of the tentacle are both top awesome and classic. Go for one of those two

>> No.6321864

>>6321653
Based

>> No.6322772

>>6320183
The fuck you talking about bitch... PQ 1-3 are some of the best adventure games of that era.

>> No.6322891

>>6322772
PQ 1 is okay. PQ 2 and 3 are some bullshit.

>> No.6322902

My sister was big into Kings Quest. We didn't do any of the cutsie Lucas Arts adventure games, but I did get her interested in The Dig.

>> No.6323257

>>6321570
>The Longest Journey, Syberia
well, if the first one could be called an adventure game (albeit too simplistic), the later is just an interactive 3D-film: you barely interact with anything in there, let alone use items on items, while 80% of gameplay is running across huge locations with nothing to do in them

>> No.6323282

>>6322902
>tfw still remember playing King's Quest IV with my older sister over 25 years ago, almost 30 years ago, like it was yesterday

Where does the time go

>> No.6323458

Westwood

>> No.6323485

>>6315391
sierra
fear 1

>> No.6323581

>>6317693
I fucking love old application software. What application software did Sierra make?

>> No.6323838

>>6323581
The Laffer Utlities, a Leisure Suit Larry-themed set of utility software. Some bullshit gag elements, but also form design for office notices.

>> No.6323896

>>6315442
I was about to say the reverse. Sierra has more good games, but Day of the Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island, and The Dig are among the greatest adventure games of all time.

>>6315465
DOTT was LucasArts and definitely expected you to think like a madman.

>this is just here to break up a completely separate thought from the above responses to other people's comments

As an aside, I think there are a whole lot of good modern adventure games, and both The Blackwell Epiphany and Unavowed crack my top twenty (Unavowed might break my top five), but for some reason there aren't many great modern comedy ones in the vein of Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle. Thimblweed Park is good, but just good, and the only other example that springs to mind is the Deponia series, which has a protagonist that's basically "what if Guybrush Threepwood needed his ass beat?"

>> No.6324062

>>6323458
Making someone start with the first Kyrandia is a sure way to make them hate the genre.

>> No.6324072
File: 502 KB, 640x532, 1406845028028.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have anybody seen this interview about pic related (Loom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI7BYB1R9yk

Probably one of the most touching speeches about a videogame ever made. Also illustrates very well the kind of power that the Lucasarts (Lucasfilm at the time) we're playing with: george lucas's money, ranch, team and resources, with a freedom of creation unparalleled by then on the videogame industry.

Loom was something unique. If only they had made the sequels that games could had rivalled the Lord of the Rings as their age's fantasy staples. I'm equally eager and afraid that somebody ever undertakes this task (there was an fan attempt called Forge, which honestly i'm glad that went nowhere past the demo, though they had a great artistic teamwork)

>> No.6324080

>>6315391
Sierra games were a technical marvel and ahead of their times when they were released but aged the worst compared to Lucas.

>> No.6324090

>>6323896
>DOTT was LucasArts and definitely expected you to think like a madman.
DotT is insane but the puzzle design is fantastic, everything makes sense in its own crazy way.
>Deponia series
Absolutely terrible games by the way, especially the third one. Goodbye Deponia makes you want to punch the writer in the face repeatedly.

>> No.6324094

>>6324090
Deponia has some charming moments but it's like trying to find M&Ms while crawling naked through a pile of shit-covered glass.

>> No.6324151

>>6324090
Dilate.

>> No.6324154

>>6324090
>DotT is insane but the puzzle design is fantastic, everything makes sense in its own crazy way.
DoTT is one of those games where you have to think like the dev to get the puzzles, but it works because the dev is thinking in easily understood ideas like Warner Bros. cartoons. Once you realize that it all makes sense.

>> No.6324162

>>6323896
>No good comedy games.
A lot of modern adventure games are trying to either incorporate the comedy or aping the worst aspects of the comedy like Al Emmo being an LSL/Freddy Pharkas-type without the humor and all the cheese.

>> No.6324170

>>6324162
Agreed. The more serious ones with moments of humor are great, but I'm not giving up hope on straight up comedy, or at least games with quite a bit of comedy in them.

Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure looks fun. In the trailer there's a moment where a Chulhu cultist fumbles with and almost drops his cell phone that he was playing with during a cult meeting.

>> No.6324239

>>6323896
>DOTT was LucasArts and definitely expected you to think like a madman.
DoTT expects you to think like a Looney Tunes character. Once you've understood that it's one of the easier LucasArts games.

>> No.6324246

>>6324239
Are there any other adventure games that expect you to think this way? It's maybe the funniest game I've ever played.

>> No.6324248

>>6324246
Discworld except it's fucking impossible to get what to do unless you've read the books.

>> No.6324251

>>6324248
Which books/how many? I've read a few.

>> No.6324252

>>6324246
I want to say Toonstruck because of its concept (animator pulled into his own creation) but I haven't played it so can't confirm.

>> No.6324254

>>6324251
Most of Pratchett's output up to the game's release in '95.

>> No.6324647

>>6324080
This. I grew up with Sierra games, and I was playing the original King's Quest on a PC Jr. using post-it notes for commands that my dad wrote out ("open door," "climb tree," "get egg" before I even learned to read, but man those games have aged terribly. The fact that the games could become completely unwinnable by a simple mistake or oversight from literally hours before was just complete BS.

>> No.6324698

>>6324647
>I was playing the original King's Quest on a PC Jr. using post-it notes for commands that my dad wrote out ("open door," "climb tree," "get egg" before I even learned to read,
That's the sweetest thing I've read in a while, anon.

>> No.6324878

I've never played any of the big adventure game series (King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, any Monkey Island besides the first).

Is it best to start with the first game in all of them, or do some of the entries suck, or what?

>> No.6324983

>>6324878
QFG it's best to play all of them because it has a system whereby you import your character from one game to the next with light RPG elements. Only the last one is not great, but still works as a series ending.

All the other series have some high and some low points:
King's Quest: 1-4 are good to okay, 5 is bad, 6 is great, 7 is okay, avoid 8.
Space Quest: 1 and 4-6 are good, 2 is bad, 3 is okay.
LSL: 1, 3, and 6 are good, 2 is awful, 5 and 7 are okay.

>> No.6325024

>>6324983
What about LSL 4?

>> No.6325046

>>6325024
There is no LSL 4. No, really, it doesn't exist, I'm not ironically denying the game because it's shit or anything, it was never produced.

>> No.6325120

>>6324983
Cool.

All of QFG. KQ 1-4, 6 & 7. SQ 1 & 3-6. LSL 1 & 3-6 (only 4 is a meme and not an actual game).

>> No.6325176

>>6325046
mind blown

only ever played (and beaten) 1 and 6, never investigated more about that

>> No.6325325

>>6325176
There's a few apocryphal stories, the most likely is that LSL 1-3 is supposed to be a complete trilogy and Al Lowe kept saying there would be no LSL 4. When Sierra decided to make another he decided to stick with that claim and skip it.

>> No.6325347

>>6325120
Oh and as far as their minor series, definitely play Freddy Pharkas and the Conquest games.

>> No.6325407

80s point and click adventures (LSL1, KQ1, things like that) just seem to have this barrier for me. I can't seem to get started. Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, etc., seem way easier.

I'm not sure if they're just made intentionally to be objectively easier, or if it's the gameplay that I'm having trouble adapting to. But the games themselves are interesting, so I'd like to give them more of a try.

Any advice?

>> No.6325441

>>6315391
I could never get into the sierra games due to the dying factor. Too much trial and error.

Also indiana jones and the fate of atlantis is totally underrated

>> No.6325448

>>6325441
>Also indiana jones and the fate of atlantis is totally underrated
Legitimately better than any of the Indiana Jones movies, which is fucking wild.

>> No.6325513

>>6325441
>indiana jones and the fate of atlantis is totally underrated
It's overrated. Last Crusade is the best Indiana Jones adventure game. Faster pacing and Indy's character is more like it is in the movies.

>> No.6325517

Yeah but Lucasarts made HABITAT which was mindblowingly ahead of its time

https://youtu.be/VVpulhO3jyc

>> No.6326328
File: 39 KB, 300x441, Half-Life_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6315391

>> No.6326349

In a conventional sense, LucasArts has the superior catalogue in terms of game design, but you have to approach the two studios differently, they had different goals in mind.

Sierra was very much the old school Arcade game design philosophy. Failure is an essential part of the experience to make the eventual success feel like a monumental feat. It’s about overcoming an obstacle through luck and skill. Conversely, LucasArts is much more in line with the modern school of thought, that “fairness” is more important than challenge to the player, every game over should be “earned” and progression should be strictly logical and fair. It helps alleviate frustration, but it makes for easier games (when the execution barrier is so low, like a Point and Click).

>> No.6326475

>>6321515
FMV is having a bit of a minor revival and I fucking love it. The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker is one of the greatest things in years.

>> No.6326492

>>6326349
I think the point and click adventure game is a genre where genuine difficulty (as opposed to "difficulty staying sane as you try every possible item combination in hopes something matches the bullshit solution") is incredibly difficult to consistently achieve, because really the gameplay is just a series of lateral thinking puzzles (and occasionally logic puzzles).

>> No.6328190

Recommend me an underrated/seldom-discussed point and click adventure game.

>> No.6328334

Sierra is art, fucking art, it's like a painting you can walk around in, Quest for Glory III, Quest for Glory IV, fuck yeah, every time I see a painting I want to stamp a little sprite dude on there walking around all over the place, I dare you to pick any Sierra game and play it all the way through without saving and without a guide I'll give you fifty seven US dollars.

>> No.6328387

>>6328334
Lost that bet years ago, took me years to beat QFG1 as a kid by playing it, dropping it for a couple weeks and then trying again. Had the guide for the rest.

>> No.6328434

>>6326328
They published HL not developed

>> No.6328440

>>6326492
Sierra adventure games were designed for players with average IQ 130 players.

The average person who plays adventure game’s today is an IQ 105 who thinks they are a IQ 140. No wonder they hate Sierra.

>> No.6328565

>>6328440
I'd love to see some examples of puzzle design that fit this 130 IQ claim. I remember the parser doesn't even work for the final puzzle in Larry 2

>> No.6328641
File: 8 KB, 299x168, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6315426

This game, Thimbleweed Park, was designed by Ron Gilbert.

Gilbert spearheaded the bastardisation of adventure games that saw parsers replaced with cursors. He believed in simplifying adventure games so much that he eventually left LucasArts to make point-and-clicks for toddlers at Humungous Entertainment. Today, you can hardly tell the difference between a Humungous game and something from Telltale when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

During the '90s we saw this watering down as necessary to improve the genre. After all, Sierra was making its games artificially difficult to sell guides. However, I think the reaction to Sierra led to very rigid and dull games.

We lost the complexity of a Gabriel Knight or Quest for Glory for click-to-win nonsense like Heavy Rain, which has become the norm. The recent revival of King's Quest was a bigger stain on the series than Mask of Eternity. Following trends rather than leading them.

The Japanese showed that you don't have to dumb down your experience and you can even include fail states like the Ace Attorney games and Danganronpa. I wish more titles would be this flexible.

As for who made the best games... well, LucasArts was a response to Sierra. LucasArts was a George Lucas company driven by artists while Sierra was more like a commune for computer nerds. LucasArts always had the cinematic polish.

However, when Sierra realised it was time to remove the artificial difficulty from its games - the result was one of the best adventure games of all time - Leisure Suit Larry 7. The design of this game is perfect and can not at all be mistaken for a LucasArts game.

I would have liked to have seen what the late '90s looked like for Sierra adventure games if it hadn't been taken over by crooks.

>> No.6328652
File: 50 KB, 371x400, 464631.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you all forgot about the third contender...

no love for pic related?

https://www.mobygames.com/company/legend-entertainment-company

>> No.6328653

>>6328641
worthwhile post

>> No.6328724
File: 32 KB, 640x400, superhero_league_of_hoboken.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6328652
Aw shiiiiit, I love Legend Entertainment! I didn't really like text adventures when I was a kid, but as I grew older and started to read lots of books I learned new appreciation for text adventures as well. Legend Entertainment games are not "pure" text adventures because they have visuals too, but I think that's makes them really special. Everyone who's into Leisure Suit Larry games shoud check out the Spellcasting series. Sci-fi fans should check out the Frederik Pohl's Gateway games 1 and 2. Fans of Monkey Island would love Eric the Unready. Oh, and if anyone's itching for some crazy adventure/rpg dungeon crawler combo, they should most definitely check out Superhero League of Hoboken. There's bunch of others too that I haven't even played but I'm sure they're all golden. Legend Entertainment is like a source of hidden gems.

>> No.6328737

>>6328190
Phantasmagoria 2

>> No.6329027

>>6328190

Tex Murphy Overseer.

It's a great FMV adventure game. Very easy to get into and also serves as an entry point to the series given that it was a reboot of sorts of the very first Tex Murphy game.

>> No.6329346
File: 190 KB, 800x970, 115628-callahan-s-crosstime-saloon-dos-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6328652
oh, people like Legend really made the 90s in PC gaming special

>> No.6329451

>>6328641
>Gilbert spearheaded the bastardisation of adventure games that saw parsers replaced with cursors

Remember that that was partially due to technical limitations because the SCUMM engine was originally developed for the C64 which didn't have the memory to support complex text parsers.

>> No.6329465

>>6328641
There are some pretty damn good modern point and click adventure games, though. It's just that 99% of them come from Wadjet Eye Games.

Dave Gilbert > Ron Gilbert

>> No.6329501

>>6316084
You have to hide behind a door frame as literally the first puzzle in Space Quest 1.

The door sticks out a bit from the wall and you have to just walk around behind it when you hear footsteps.

>> No.6329513

>>6318787
Hopefully you're around to see this four days later.

Start with Day of the Tentacle. Either find the CD version of the DOS game online, or buy the HD remake on Steam and change the settings to the classic graphics (I believe even if you turn on the classic art style you can still have the HQ music and widescreen, which is awesome).

>> No.6329539

>>6329465
I've only played two Wadjet games, the first Blackwell and Gemini Rue. They were boring as shit, not bad but your typical AGS crap.
But if the only Ron Gilbert's game you've played were Deathspank and The Cave, then yes, Dave > Ron.

>> No.6329561

>>6329539
Dave admits the first Blackwell wasn't great, which sucks as it's the intro to a great series.

If you're willing to give them another shot, just skip to their most recent game, Unavowed. It's set in the same world as the Blackwell games, but is far more high fantasy, and while there are a few nods to the aforementioned series, nothing relevant to understanding the plot.

>> No.6330218

>>6324983
KQV is the best one in the entire series. What the fuck are you talking about

>> No.6330330

>>6330218
5 has a bad reputation because of one or two unfair tricks in the game, which were probably done to sell hint books.

>> No.6330445

>>6330330
>unfair tricks
Care to elaborate?

>> No.6330454

>>6328737
This

>> No.6330476

>>6329465

Damn straight. They're all so good.

>> No.6330491

>>6321478
>best example of FMV
That would be the Tex Murphy series.

>> No.6330501

>>6324983
Some lf those ”bads” have hilarious content even if they have dead-end issues. LSL2 for instance.

>> No.6330513

>>6328190
Toonstruck.
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo.
Freddy Pharkas.
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.

>> No.6330516

>>6315391
>I'd like to see you taking stance on Sierra vs LucasArts. Who made objectively better adventure games?
Legend Entertainment.

>> No.6330521

>>6329539
>>6329561
>Unavowed
Barely an adv game.
The only Wadjet published (not developed!) game worth playing is Primordia.
For all the shit humour and weird flops Daedalic is 10x the studio Wadjet is.

>> No.6330561

>>6330445
There's a part when you have to throw a shoe at a cat before he eats a mouse, so that later in the game when you're tied up the mouse will come and chew through your ropes. If you didn't save him, you just die. Also you only get one chance to do it, and you're given very little time to figure it out, like a few seconds. You basically need to know beforehand what to do. It's not something many people would figure out on their own. And there's no indication that you've failed anything if you don't save the mouse. You just keep playing until you get stuck later on and die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIyzWi8AJhs

A similar thing happens with a yeti, you have to throw a pie in his face or you'll die. But you can also eat the pie earlier on, in which case you won't know that you've failed until you meet the yeti and need the pie.
Outside of that, it's actually a very good game. And if you know those two things going in it's not frustrating at all.

>> No.6330579

>>6315426
This joke will never stop being funny.

>> No.6330584
File: 72 KB, 640x480, sote_e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How come we never got a classic LucasArts Star Wars adventure game?

>> No.6330725

>>6330561
Yeah both are true. Not to mention navigating the desert is also impossible unless you have a guide. I used to love fucking around and using the golden needle to purchase the pie, eating the leg of lamb from the inn, etc

It's still my favorite of the series though

>> No.6330739

>>6328641
>Leisure Suit Larry 7
Is this really that good? I've only played the original three Larry games.

>> No.6330746

>>6330725
Can’t you just map the desert?

>> No.6330827

>>6330746
There's maps you can find online. But if you play the game without not knowing which direction to walk in the desert you'll die pretty quickly or get killed by the bandits because you wouldn't know when they're coming and that you have to hide from them

>> No.6330828

>>6330827
*without knowing

>> No.6330918

>>6328652
Their take on Star Control was OK, if you had never played any other Star Control.

>> No.6331005

>>6330739
It’s Sierra’s true masterpiece final symphony

>> No.6331018

>>6330739

Across all metrics, it's very strong. Great drop-down menu UI that makes actions and navigation very streamlined. Support for text parsing. It's non-linear. The puzzles feature cartoon logic. Art and sound goes without saying.

The only caveats is that the dad jokes might make you groan and it's ultimately about trying to get laid. It's an amazing game that shows back that in 1996 that a good adventure game didn't have to mimic LucasArts.

>> No.6331338

>>6330584
I, too, have been wondering about that. I'd love a LucasArts adventure game like the Indiana Jones games, but with Han Solo.

>> No.6331360

>be stupid kid
>don't really understand the game puzzles, but really like the idea of exploring beautiful locations and interracting with characters
>spent hours upon hours exploring Monkey Island 2

I didn't know what role playing games were back then, but if I had gotten my hands on Fallout, Jagged Alliance, Elder Scrolls, or any other game where you explore and talk to characters, my 12 year old self would get his mind blown. Even now as a grown man I'm greatly impressed when character stats affect the dialogue choices. Are there any point & click adventures that do this? Some of those Telltale games give dialogue options that change the story, but those games don't really match up against the big old titles such as Monkey Island.

>> No.6331376

>>6330521
Didn't get much value out of Deponia but Chains of Satinav and Memoria were great for sure.

>> No.6331381

>>6330501
Yeah I'm always really conflicted about LSL2 because I can see where they were going with it, where Larry is this hapless fool who bumbles his way through a spy plot without realizing it. I can see that kind of 80s raunchy comedy. I think it's crippled by the mandate to make the game cleaner than LSL1 and a much heavier reliance on timed puzzles or knowing what you need to do in advance. It's probably the only Sierra game where the success by trial-and-error and lots of death criticism holds water for me.

>> No.6331385

>>6330218
>>6330330
I push it up a point or two when I'm not listening to the voice acting, but it's still got too damn many labyrinths and nonsense puzzle solutions. I should be fonder of it than I am since I think it was the first KQ I played on my own on the NES version, but it's more than one or two unfair tricks.

>> No.6331390

>>6330827
>maps you can find online
Someone obviously made them while playing it.

>> No.6331401
File: 225 KB, 640x480, larry7-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6330739
It is pretty good, with a caveat. It is ostensibly a video game for adults but its humor works better when you are 12. Despite this, it is a polished adventure game with a fun original setting that gradually opens up to exploration, memorable characters (the side characters are more memorable than Larry's paramours) and a good soundtrack. You can get far and maybe even beat the whole game without a guide. I couldn't beat it without a guide (ahem), but that was probably because I was 12. You should try to beat it to see how you like it.

The worst thing about Leisure Suit Larry 7 is that it made me want to go on a fancy cruise. I still haven't, and now I am not sure I ever will. Damn.

>> No.6331562

>>6328641
>a bigger stain on the series than Mask of Eternity
Shit game but great music

>> No.6331752

>>6331385
The voice acting is part of what makes KQV so great

>> No.6331919

I fucking hate adventure games

Pixel hunting bullshit

>> No.6332113

>>6331919
>He can't even hunt pixels.

>> No.6332136

>>6315391
If you had to choose three of the best games for each company, which ones would you pick?

I already played all the monkey island games and sam and max.

Asking mainly to get acquainted with Sierra a bit more.

>> No.6332148

>>6332136
Lucasarts: Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, and Monkey Island

Sierra: Gabriel Knight 1, King's Quest 6, Quest for Glory 1

>> No.6332164

>>6332148
Cool, thank you.

>> No.6332517

>>6329465
>Dave Gilbert > Ron Gilbert

Ron Gilbert made this genre and Monkey Island is yet to be surpassed in quality, soul, impact and opening gates for posterior works. Dave Gilbert made two "check out this thing i did in my blog page" games. Your quote is not even funny anon

>> No.6332545

Anyone ever play softporn adventure? Made by Sierra before it was Sierra and yes the is Roberta Williams on the far right

>> No.6332547
File: 19 KB, 292x340, Softporn_Adventure_box_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332545

>> No.6332873

>>6331390
Someone must have spent countless hours getting the proper directions right. One step too far in the desert and you die of dehydration

>> No.6332928

>>6332545
>>6332547
Well, it's a text adventure. In that case Infocom made the best games.
Unless you're talking about the Japanese remake (which isn't LSL).

>> No.6332989

>>6321570
is playing discworld worth it for a discworld fan who doesn't like adventure games?

>> No.6333018

>>6332989
Absolutely.
If you don't like point and click games, keep a walkthrough next to you because they're tough even for adventure games maniacs.
It's worth it though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

>> No.6333260
File: 295 KB, 500x727, schwing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332547
>Young Roberta

>> No.6333295

>>6315391
Sierra was never good

>> No.6333414

>>6333018
The first one is tough.
The second one is alright with hard parts.
The third one is pretty fair with a few exceptions.

>> No.6333480

>>6323282
I remember when her cute friend came over and fawned over the scene where the woman passes a ribbon to the prince through a hole in the wall.

>> No.6333586

>>6315391
Better writers than I have shown what Sierra did wrong.
https://www.filfre.net/2015/07/the-14-deadly-sins-of-graphic-adventure-design/

>> No.6334326

>>6333586
That blogpost illustrates pretty much the worst parts of the genre: bad signposting, pixelhunt/search-the-verb, dead ends,... It's really good work.

I was expected butthurt Sierrafans in the comments too and it did not disappoint.

>> No.6334370

>>6333586
>Digital Antiquarian
Fucking lol.
This is the turd of a game journo who gets half of his "facts" about Sierra wrong and hates them because one of the Police Quests involved Daryl Gates, where the "Antiquarian" repeats decades old lies and spergs out how Rodney King dindunuffin.

>> No.6334376

>>6334370
I need to play PQ4, but it's probably way more boring than people makes it up to be.

>> No.6334946
File: 10 KB, 1024x896, 1570133585271.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6331919

Then fuck off out of this thread zoomer

>> No.6335059

>>6334376
Probably like the first day of gameplay is the most coherent and then you have to go back to the serial killer plot and it sucks. Most of it is chasing dead ends until the ending.

>> No.6335073

>>6333586
Some of those are valid, but "the game makes fun of me when I die" is a mark of someone who can't handle bantz.

>> No.6336692

>>6333586
>>6334326
This guy literally admits to being a Ron Gilbert fanboy, and the whole article is from the retro gaming journalism genre of ‘anything that is challenging enough to slow me down from getting this game off my backlog = bad’. Also the whole bitching about how Space Quest makes fun of player deaths just reveals the author as a humourless fragile phillistine.

>> No.6337547

>>6321517
Music was dope, though.

I loved Lucas shooters, Outlaws and Jedi Knight are both great in their own ways to me...

But love it or hate it, Sierra helped get Half Life made, and that had a far greater impact than any of the point and clicks from either company.

>> No.6338537

>>6334370
>I WOULD NEVER MAKE FUN OF SOMEONE BASED ON THE WAY THEY LOOKED OR SOUNDED THAT IS AN ETHICAL LINE I WOULD SIMPLY NEVER EVER CROSS

I cannot express how much I loathe these goddamn people. And now the whole adventure gaming scene is full of them. Fuck my life.

>> No.6338991

>>6317798
It was my GOTY until I got to the final third of the game which just made me hate it. I hated how the game dropped tons of earlier plot points (like one of your characters being kidnapped) for some shitty meta thing that felt like they changed the story 3/4 through development.

>> No.6341348

>>6338991
You remember the part in which you're shutting down the computer? at the end? everything looks like more and more retro and I thought: why could not the whole game can be like this?

Yeah, I was expecting a lot of that game. If it had been just what the tin said, I'd be more than happy. The twist is what breaks it.