[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 254 KB, 512x512, 34892878_p11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
628850 No.628850 [Reply] [Original]

Lets have a thread for games we love. Doesn't matter if they're popular or obscure, just post games you love, and maybe explain why.

I really love Earthbound, and I'm sure there are a lot of people here that can understand why. The game's combat might not be the best, but the game practically bleeds charm. This game has stuck with me since I played it the first time 7-8 years ago. It's definitely one of my all-time favorites.

>> No.628858
File: 127 KB, 593x420, terranigma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cdZ8ojnK7M

>> No.628863
File: 71 KB, 324x480, KA-GE-KI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ka-Ge-Ki.

Playing it as an adult, it's frustrating and broken. When I played it as a kid, I absolutely loved it. It's basically Fight Club + Game of Death. Even now I dig the aesthetic. It was also the first cartridge I'd ever heard recorded voices in. "Hey let's fight!"

It's got one of those badass soundtracks only possible on the Genesis. One of the greatest endings ever, too.

>> No.628884
File: 98 KB, 256x183, jurassicpark.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JrjR4ZD6rQ

>> No.629106
File: 127 KB, 525x643, crackdown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628863
I remember playing this game. Wasn't to fond of it but it did have it's own goofy charm. Combat was pretty broken in that you could brute force you way through completion by exploiting a certain ai habit. They are instantly drawn to you when you start moonwalking. Rapidly punch them when they get close as you move backwards. Move around area after they are knocked back, rinse and repeat. It became increasingly harder to do this in the later stages but was doable.

One of my favorite games from the Sega Genesis was Crack Down. It's a 2 player top down shoot'em up similar to Smash TV. It was a port of an arcade game. You go through tight corridors trying to kill enemies on the way while dodging obstacles along the way to reach the end of the stage. One the most notable mechanics was the ability to hug a wall as to avoid enemies and their flying projectiles. So even if you are trapped between two enemies in a narrow hallway you can still escape death (even having the enemies kill each other with their own projectiles.)

Only 4 flaws that might bother people while playing. 2 player game is easier. If you are playing single player the second player screen doesn't go away but fills up half of the screen. Back in the day this was problematic if you had a small TV. Though the plus to this is that you get a list of current enemies on that screen instead. Another flaw is their is no boss fight except maybe for the end which is more of a gauntlet run than anything since everything gets mostly killed in one shot. Because it's an arcade port there are arcade bullshit points meant to consume your non-existent quarters like the laser run path. Dying in certain parts near these areas sends you back to the start of that area instead of the point where you died normally. You can abuse invincibility states after death (that kill any enemy that touches you) but this won't help you get past these laser areas that ignore the invincible state.

>> No.629183
File: 82 KB, 427x355, tumblr_m7zo7cuBbR1qd4q8ao1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden 2

first DBZ game I played back in 1996 or so, fond memories and still enjoy it to this day. Masterpiece soundtrack, and also my best friend is also fan of this game so every now and then we play it on VS and have a lot of fun.

>> No.629190
File: 722 KB, 1500x971, 5297728838_5e3a92df9c_o-resized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love Makaimura. I love them all.

>> No.629187
File: 40 KB, 300x207, DKC3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628850
For me personally, i find i return to this game more then any other game. The first time i played this it was round my best mates house. we pretty much played this for a whole summer. The surprise when we worked out the lost world too.. glorious.

i understand people mate hate or prefer other versions tho again for me, this game is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNyaWRCc3oY