[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 350x150, genesis_vs_snes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
628536 No.628536[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Sometimes I ask myself as a veteran of the Great War, did the SNES really win the war?

Or did we all lose? The Wii-U is a fucking abomination.

>> No.628559

Quality of the games aside, I believe the SNES ended up outselling the Genesis in the long run, even though there was some time after the release of Sonic and before the release of DKC where the Genesis was outselling the SNES pretty decently.

>> No.628569

Depends how you want to think about it. The SNES did end up selling more, but they were neck and neck for years, while the later era when the SNES was truly dominant was much shorter. Also, the only reason there was a war in the first place was because Sega managed to break Nintendo's monopoly status, which in my eyes means they won a more significant victory than Nintendo did. Sega made tremendous gains during that gen, while Nintendo was just fighting to maintain their position.

>> No.628571
File: 55 KB, 400x388, 1275009446158.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the Wii-U.

>> No.628575

It was a tie and we all won because the competition was so fierce. It was Bernie Stolar that killed SEGA. That and Dreamcast piracy.

>> No.628576

I think the Genesis won in the US sales wise but SNES is the one that is always talked about and has the most masterpieces on it.

>> No.628581

Bah, whoever "won" or "lost" isn't important because it was a win win for us gamers any way you look at it.

>> No.628587

I think they came out equal. The genesis has way way way way better arcade ports and action games, also emulation and translations aside the genesis has tons of really solid strategy rpgs. The SNES is pretty great too but I find myself playing my Genesis more now because when i get bored of Shining Force I can turn on some Truxton. SNES shmups are sooooo shitty mostly

>> No.628590

>>628536
As much as I heard it, SNES and Genesis were pretty much at a draw in US territory, while SNES dominated in Japan, closely followed by PC Engine.
Nintendo failed to view Europe/elsewhere as a marketable place so NES/SNES blown hard and SEGA made a more than profitable name.

>> No.628606

>>628575
>It was Bernie Stolar that killed SEGA. That and Dreamcast piracy.

Japan branch pissing contest with the western branch was equally to blame, and Dreamcast piracy really wasn't a common thing until after the console was disbanded.

>> No.628620

>>628606
Stolar was basically installed by SOJ to kill SOA as punishment for making SOJ look bad in with the Sonic debacle.

I still submit that Sony funded Chinese pirates in getting autobooting DC silvers out there, with no harm done to Playstation game sales. I mean, CDRs and Sony-branded CD burners dropped in price around the same time....

>> No.628628

>>628606
>until after the console was (abandoned)
No way, Man. I watched that shit happen with my own two eyes. Burnable boot discs were available practically from the US release. I bought a jap console for like $80 back then so I was stoked for that. There was one with a reindeer on it that I remember clearly. Then people discovered how to make isos that would just boot in unmodified consoles. I thought the GB-ROM format would be extremely secure but I was SO wrong.

>> No.628634

>>628606
While there was a variety of factors, I would really lay the death of Sega in the console business down to the 32X.

Really, the failure of the 32X hurt other developers and retailer's trust in the Saturn pretty badly, which was only exacerbated by that stupid price war with Sony at launch. Then the failure of the Saturn in the US ended up driving Sega to can the Saturn early in Japan, hurting Sega of Japan's relationship with people who were still developing games for Saturn, and the mishandling of the Saturn's launch in the United States caused certain retailers and developers to still hold a grudge against the Dreamcast. While Sonic Team not letting SoA use their engine was a stupid move, the Saturn was already screwed by incompetent management in the United States. All of the shit snowballed into a larger and larger problem until Sega was knee-deep.

That being said, even with all of the shit I still believe that if they had kept on pushing the Dreamcast it would have come in a second-place finish with the Playstation 2 and Sega would still be in the console business.

>> No.628636

>>628620
I believe that. Something similar happening in the DirectTV vs Dish war. Some people even got killed.

>> No.628673

>>628634
Yes, the 32X was what touched off their death spiral. They spread themselves too thin and took crucial resources away from Saturn -- not just in terms of money and game development but also marketing, distribution and mindshare. In early 1994 when they were committing to 32X they should have instead been building their entire corporate strategy around how to set things up for the Saturn, which was their real next-gen system and their only hope for remaining a successful company in the coming years.

It's amazing how crazy Sega was in 1994 to think they could introduce an unnecessary new platform to drum up sales and support it until 1996 while still being able to take care of everything else that was happening around that time.

>> No.628717

>>628634
>That being said, even with all of the shit I still believe that if they had kept on pushing the Dreamcast it would have come in a second-place finish with the Playstation 2 and Sega would still be in the console business.

This could've happened if Sega had had shitloads of money, but they didn't. Sales weren't that strong at the time, and they would've had to have been able to weather the storm of the Gamecube and Xbox launches. They didn't have the financial resources to be capable of going for the long game while being able to maintain faith in the system during that interval. If they were rich and could invest in a big marketing push during that time, I agree that they probably would've emerged as a strong second place contender.

>> No.628759

> According to a 2004 study of NPD sales data, the Sega Genesis was able to maintain its lead over the Super NES in the American 16-bit console market
As a fan of both, but as a man more partial to Sega, I wish it were true, but the source given by wikipedia is very convoluted and I can't make left or right from it.
http://www.netinst.org/Clements_Ohashi.pdf

>> No.628763

>>628759
Well... Let me put it this way, I'm planning to buy my first retro flash cartridge soon and i's going to be the Megadrive one.

>> No.628775

>>628673
Sega should have just either kept on pushing for more Genesis and Sega CD games. Some of the best games for the SNES came out in 1995 or 1996, like Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X2/3, Breath of Fire II, and Donkey Kong Country 2/3. The Genesis still got some great games out then, like Vectorman and Ristar, but they were hyping up 32X so hard that most releases were terrible shovelware and the few good ones went out of the radar. It's a shame, since often games produced near the end of a console's lifespan tend to get the most out of system as possible, but we didn't really see that with the Genesis.

>>628717
I know Sega was doing badly, but was it really as impossible as people say? I mean, the Xbox completely tanked in Japan and the Saturn did well enough over there that it was able to sustain Sega for it's lifespan. Even near it's death, the Dreamcast had some amazing titles that were announced for the system that ended up on other consoles after its death. I want to believe it was possible. Still, even if the Dreamcast had continued production would Sega have had earned enough money to develop a new console? Probably not.

>> No.628802

>>628775

Dreamcast didn't have a huge presence in Europe due to poor marketing and lack of FIFA. It was popular in Japan when it was new tech because Japanese people love to be on the cutting edge of games, but it got swamped by the PS2 and wasn't much of a contender after that. America was the Dreamcast's best market by far, like the N64 only more so.

They definitely had a chance in the European market, and their fortunes there likely would have risen in concert with their sales in the US if they had been able to get on top of things. Hell, they could have even seen a rebound in Japan if they got a popular game out there. But ultimately, if the Dreamcast couldn't hack it here, it couldn't hack it anywhere.

>> No.628807

snes won

really, the least acceptable possibility is a tie

but it doesn't matter. both are great consoles and this debate was only worthy in a time where children without income had to choose between one or the other

>> No.628814

>>628775
The Saturn and Dreamcast had amazing 2d capabilities and shared a lot with arcade systems. The Saturn was notoriously hard to develop for, and the Dreamcast got shitstomped by the PS2.

They were great systems but the marketing people at Sega just really sucked dick. With the Japanese library they are both great systems, but I don't think it's any coincidence Xbox and PS beat their ass. Even Nintendo has backed off from trying to directly compete.

>> No.628825

>>628814
/vr/ is about the era when video gmes were made by video game companies. Now video games are made by giant corporations.

>> No.628828

>>628775
>The Genesis still got some great games out then, like Vectorman and Ristar, but they were hyping up 32X so hard that most releases were terrible shovelware and the few good ones went out of the radar. It's a shame, since often games produced near the end of a console's lifespan tend to get the most out of system as possible, but we didn't really see that with the Genesis.

This is a good point. The sad thing is we actually DID see that with the Genesis -- in Japan. Monster World IV, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Panorama Cotton, Alien Soldier -- those games clearly had the level of quality that you only see in a late-gen title. And of course those were all released in 94-95, a year or two earlier than the late-stage of the platform would've been in the US.

Better Genesis/SegaCD support would've been an ancillary benefit to not releasing the 32X, but the most important thing at that time was the Saturn and I don't think Sega should have concentrated much more on the Genesis than they did. They should've just ceded the last couple years of the 16-bit war to Nintendo (they had the momentum anyway, and the Genesis tech was starting to show its age) and let the Genesis coast gracefully to a close while they geared up for the 32-bit gen.

>> No.628835

>>628828
They would have just ended up releasing the Saturn even earlier with even less rounded hardware at an even higher price point in typical Sega fashion. Who could have predicted how awesome the Playstation launch would be? Sega probably thought they had it in the bag with how bad Nintendo was dragging its heels on Ultra.

>> No.628851
File: 524 KB, 267x189, pinoqué.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628536

Noboby lose, we all won in those years; companies, public and the industry.

>Wii U an abomination.
>Still focusing in the games and gameplay instead of non-important aspects.

>> No.628891

>>628825
If you read about the history of Nintendo (and to a lesser extent Sega) you may find that games were more corporate than you thought. A lot of the 1980's era Nintendo executives (not just Yamauchi) had virtually no personal interest in videogames. It was purely a business venture and they were quite ruthless. I think what's mainly changed is the complexity of the industry, mostly due to technology and probably a lot to do with society as a whole, has become way too complex and so no single person's vision for a game is ever fully realized and everything gets diluted down to nothing.

>> No.628894

>>628851
please don't let me be that guy and let's pretend we're still in 1998

>> No.628897

>>628636
I don't doubt it. I work for a major telecom, and dirty shit happens all the time, and that's just the stuff -I- know about in my limited-access position.

>>628673
That's not how it happened. SOJ pushed SOA into going full steam ahead with the 32X project, then stabbed them in the back by announcing everything was going into the Saturn instead.

>> No.628910

>>628835
I've got to agree with this theory. I wonder just how "awesome" the Playstation launch was, though. For a while, at least among early adopters, it seemed even to me. My recollection is that a lot of people didn't get on the Playstation wagon until about 6 months to a year later when the hype became self-sustaining, sort of like the iPod prior to the Mini being released.

>> No.628914

>>628910
But Sony had the bank to keep pushing. Those "Lives" commercials were pretty damn cool and we all know it.

>> No.628934

ET killed sega

>> No.628935

>>628835
Actually, Sega was considering releasing a cartridge-based version of Saturn called the "Jupiter" for the US market in 1994 in place of 32X. The plan was to later release a CD upgrade that would make the system fully compatible with the actual Saturn, giving people a real upgrade path. This clearly would've been a much better idea, as rather than creating a fake "next-gen" system tied to an aging platform, it would instead help them get their new platform off the ground. It's not widely known, but 32X sales were actually pretty good in 1994, on the strength of desirable titles like Doom as well as the general tendency of people to want to buy whatever shiny new video game product is out for Christmas, especially if it's from an established company and reasonably priced. It tanked shortly after that when people could see how underwhelming it was and the fact that the platform had no foreseeable future in the face of the real next-gen systems.

>> No.628937

>>628935
A Jupiter version of Doom would've been really good, especially in the minds of 1994-era consumers. The hardware would've been there for a really impressive lineup of games, in an era when poorly-selling systems like 3DO and Jaguar were still getting attention just for being more advanced than the 16-bit games, and since the Jupiter fit in to their overall Saturn strategy they would've given it the appropriate level of support. The price point probably would've been around $250, which I think would've been good enough for most people. It's also not widely appreciated that the 32X actually attracted substantial third-party support, which evaporated overnight when people realized the system was a dead end -- the system ended up with more cancelled games than released games. Basically, the Jupiter would've had the sales and media presence and developer interest of the 32X, except it would've had an actual upgrade path to the Saturn, so its momentum wouldn't have been blunted in early 1995 like the 32X was.

All this would've given them a decent foothold in the market by the time Playstation came out, and depending on how they handled the transition to Saturn I think they could've ended up in a strong position, though not necessarily in the lead. So long as they kept up with everything, improving their devkits regularly and keeping up in marketing, they could've competed effectively with the Playstation for the entire generation.

But none of this happened because in that one fateful meeting in January 1994, they decided to go with 32X instead. The decision would've been just as whim-based and arbitrary if it had gone the other way, but it would've led to a scenario where even Sega's mediocre management would've been capable of successfully steering the company through the dark times.

>> No.628948

>>628569

If it wasn't for Sega shoing that Nintendo could be dealt with then maybe the guys at Somy wouldn't have made the Playstation after Nintendo told thm to fuck off

>> No.628958

>>628914
Yeah, I loved those ads, but did they really sell systems? I guess I could try and look up sales figures but my gut tells me Playstation sales didn't outpace Saturn until maybe mid-96, when Resident Evil came out. People forget that the Saturn had a kick ass Christmas in 95 with VF2, Sega Rally & Virtua Cop, and actually got a ton of positive mainstream press and magazine cover articles. And the Playstation lineup was actually in a drought period.

>> No.628967

>>628935
I get the impression there are as many bogus rumored Sega systems as there are planet names. They've finally run out with Pluto.

>> No.628971
File: 70 KB, 500x500, 1365556869419.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628576
This. I see many /vr/tual bros talking about how the Genesis was pretty dominant in the non-NA market, plus most of my friends had one (dat Madden, and dat NBA Live series).

Pleb, I guess...but who cares? It was all about what you and your friends enjoyed back then. I feel your pain about the percieved "console wars", because the WiiU is WAY too tryhard, but look at it another way: SEGA of America died of unnatural causes way back in the Dreamcast era, and Nintendo has pimped out rehashes, ports and handheld remakes so much since then that their coffers are foreverfull.

tl;dr: You won that war, although Sony ran circles around all challengers.. WiiU is/will be a dismal failure, though.

>> No.628986

>>628967
I don't remember where I read about this, so I suppose it's possible that it's a rumor, but I remember it seemed like a pretty reputable source. I'm pretty sure the Jupiter plan and the meeting I described were real events.

>> No.628990

>>628958
I'm going to assume that you aren't a fellow Amerifat/tard/lard-whatever chaninsult is in vogue these days. The Saturn got it's ass handed to it in America, bro. From start to finish.

>> No.628994

>>628990
Honestly I knew half a dozen people with Saturns and one with a Playstation. Not a representative sample. But go back and read some of the gaming mags from that time. It was not an immediate victory for Sony.

>> No.629010

>>628967
What about Sega Chibi-Genesis and the Sega Starlights?

>> No.629012

>>628576
>but SNES is the one that is always talked about
Yeah, I don't see why it is always like that, especially when new people get into "retro" games it is always NES and SNES. Almost no mention of anything like the Genesis, and if the Genesis doesn't get mentioned you bet your ass something like the Neo-Geo or TG16 won't either.

Personally I can't get into the SNES too much outside of a select few games. I will always be a Genesis man.

>> No.629026

I would seriously watch the shit out of a TV miniseries based on the Nintendo/SEGA feud of the 90s, as well as the internal power struggles that happened between SEGA of Japan and SoAmerica. Like, everything about the 90s console wars is ridiculously fascinating, and has the potential to be for even non-gamers.

So much good material to work with.

>> No.629031

>>628990
Nah, I remember the early part of Saturn vs. Playstation, when the Playstation's killer apps were Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden. Saturn's original launch ports of Virtua Fighter and Daytona were sort of shabby, but like another anon said, late 1995 was a glorious start for the Saturn and I remember my friends talking about how impressive Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Fighter 2 were constantly. While Playstation did end up outselling the Saturn even from the start, anyone who lived during that time remembers how much people were talking about the Saturn early on. It really seemed like it would be a close battle in the beginning, but Sega just lost momentum.

Of course, hype over failures were common back then. I remember all of the magazines discussing 3DO and Jaguar up to high heaven, but it was sort of clear those ones were going to fail from the beginning.

>> No.629083

SNES was the greatest. N64 was abysmal, a really bad mistake. GCN was a shimmer of how good Nintendo can be and after that, well, we all know what happened.

>> No.629109

>>628814
>and the Dreamcast got shitstomped by the PS2.

I'd argue it was more down to hesitant consumers. The launch was weirdly strong, with Soulcalibur (the most popular Dreamcast game), HotD 2, Sonic Adventure, and Powerstone - and then they managed to cut off the PS2 launch with Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Shenmue, Capcom vs SNK, Samba de Amigo, and more, all within the same quarter. But nobody thought Sega was going to drop the console - so why not wait and see what the competition is, rather than strap yourself down to a $200 platform.

That hesitation and drop in hardware adoption, caused by the strange growth in hardware platforms, is what killed the dreamcast. I fully expect that if Microsoft didn't go ahead with the Xbox, Isao Ohkawa would have bankrolled the DC right up to the Gamecube launch, at which point the PS2 would really start shitstomping with titles like Final Fantasy X.

>> No.629136
File: 44 KB, 592x475, wipeout[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629031
>I remember the early part of Saturn vs. Playstation, when the Playstation's killer apps were Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden

Forgetting something? In Europe at least people bought the Playstation just for this game.

>> No.629146

>>629136
I remember the first demo disc you got with a PS1 had Tekken, Battle Arena Toshiden and that T-Rex tech demo.

>> No.629159

>>629136

Irrelevant since that game is also in N64; it's like saying third parties vg are console sellers.

>>628894

OP started with the crap.

>> No.629174

>>629159
Wipeout 64 was not the same title as the PS/Saturn releases.

>> No.629189

just to add my pennies worth, i grew up with the 8-bit consoles so imo:

Master system > NES
SNES > Mega Drive
Gameboy > game gear

as for the rest, im unsure whether n64 was better than playstation. prob equal

>> No.629195
File: 19 KB, 351x359, MHHI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629189
>Master system > NES

>> No.629201

>>629159
>Irrelevant since that game is also in N64; it's like saying third parties vg are console sellers.

>Wipeout 64 (1998)
>1998
>98

Three fucking years later and it was a shit port, you fucking babby. Go choke on a lego you underaged piece of shit faggot.

>> No.629206

>>629012
>Yeah, I don't see why it is always like that, especially when new people get into "retro" games it is always NES and SNES

I think it's that the franchises that are Nintendo's flapships now were the same ones back then. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.

>> No.629209
File: 12 KB, 284x177, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629159
>it's like saying third parties vg are console sellers.

Yeah. Who in their right minds would buy a console over a 3rd party title?

>> No.629214
File: 18 KB, 489x356, Moreclap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629195

>> No.629242

I think if you had either console you won.

Both had great game.

>> No.629257

>>629242
Stop being reasonable! Can't you see we're trying to act like children here?!

>> No.629278

>>628571

you're not alone

it just needs a library suppored by Zelda, a 3D Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pikmin, and Pokemon and third party devs will flock to it like crazy

honestly thats really all it will take

>> No.629284

Honestly, everyone won. Having either the Genesis or the SNES, you couldn't lose. They're both excellent systems.

>> No.629292

>>629209
To be fair, a solid system seller coming from a strict third party is sort of odd to find. The only ones I can really think of off the top of my head are GTA III for the PS2 (San Andreas moreso, but that got released on everything) and MGS1 for the PS1.

>> No.629295

>>628967
Jupiter was a cart based on Saturn tech, and it was abandoned in planning VERY early: late 93 Saturn docs have no mention of it, and late 93 / early 94 interviews with Sega execs, that specifically ask about the Jupiter, get the answer "we have no such thing".
>>628935 >>628937 is just full of bullshit. He posts at sega16 as "MrSega", and before had an idiotic blog as well.

Personally I think they should've never went with the 32x, instead they should've made a megadrive-on-a-cart that gave the Saturn backwards compatibility.

>> No.629297

>did the SNES really win the war?

Yes. Look at where Sega is now.

>The Wii-U

The fuck does this have to do with it?

>> No.629317

>>629295
> >>628935 >>628937 is just full of bullshit. He posts at sega16 as "MrSega", and before had an idiotic blog as well.

LOL, I'm not that guy. Isn't he the crazy dude who's always talking about how Sega has some secret illuminati project to release a new console based on super-secret arcade hardware?

For what it's worth, I read about the Jupiter on some site ages ago and thought it sounded like a cool idea; I was just going by what I remembered reading. Ditching the 32X would've helped them out no matter what they did instead, but I think Jupiter could have given them that extra little bit of momentum that they needed at the time. Too bad it turns out it was never more than just a hypothetical.

>> No.629320

>>629292
Soul Calibur on DC
Crash Bandicoot
The Tekken series
Silent Hill

>> No.629338

>>629320
Ah shit, you bringing up Silent Hill made me remember Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube.

>> No.629357

I've seen EGM say that overall Genesis won. It held its own against the NES AND the SNES, they had a bigger market share and, at least in my experience, a SNES was usually the household's second console.
Maybe it was because I grew up around sports fans, but the install base for Genesis was 2:1 for SNES, the Gens being the sports and shooter console

>> No.629367

>>629357

>had a bigger market share

But the genesis didn't have a bigger market share. I grew up with and prefer the Genesis and I can tell you the SNES did far better overall.

>29 million genesis consoles sold version 50 million SNES consoles sold

EGM has never been a trusted source of information

>> No.629375

>>629357
Oddly, most of the hyper kids I knew had a genesis and most of the quiet kids had a SNES. Funny how the hardware and (for the most part) the games reflected that, Genesis was well known for frantic arcade game ports, SNES had many more RPGs.

Personally, although I only owned a Genesis growing up, I prefer the SNES now. I don't even know how I tolerated that controller.

>>629367
Those are statistics from now. Go look at statistics from the Genesis's heyday. It was beating the SNES hands down until some point in '95.

>> No.629390

>>629367
You're citing worldwide numbers, which are heavily skewed towards the SNES due to Japan. If you exclude Japan things are pretty even.

>> No.629393

>>629357
Keeping in mind I grew up on military installations like Fort Stewart, GA and Hickam AFB. Families in those places tend to be a tad ahead of the curve just because of the things available.
We all had internet in 1994. All of us. Soldiers with families are placed in a part of Post/Base just for families. My cul de sac in hickam alone had 20 families and most of them had kids my age and even more throughout the housing area.
I say all that to explain what I saw.
ONE guy in my circle of friends only had and SNES, I was the only one with a Genesis/SegaCD, everybody else had a SNES-and-Genesis set up.
ONE got an N64 at launch, another one of us got one a few months later
Playstation swept through like a tidal wave...except for me. I wanted a Saturn but having just got me a 32X, my parents weren't too keen.

>> No.629406

They are both great consoles and caring about console wars is pretty stupid.

Sage because nobody gives a shit about your opinion of a new console. Also because we should all know that both consoles have excellent libraries.

>> No.629420

Is it a crime to like both?

>> No.629424
File: 106 KB, 500x500, feelsgoodman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629420
Not really.

>> No.629510

The SNES did win, it's just that now Nintendo is losing.

The NES and SNES were great

Nintendo sticking with cartridges and the hardware the N64 had lost a ton of 3rd party support. A lot of diversity in game genres were lost

Then the Gamecube. Everyone's using DVDs and Nintendo like a retard lost on the street is using Mini DVDs. Well, that's fine, some people went back to Nintendo. Nice console. This means the next one's going to be better now that they picked themselves up from what happened with the N64 right? Ha-ha

Every console has some good games, but it doesn't mean they're good consoles

>> No.629514

>>628569
Also the Genesis came out before the SNES. Nintendo went the usual "hurr graphics don't matter" and "more games doesn't mean quality" to try to keep their fanbase while they were trying to get the SNES out. In the beginning especially Sega was doing pretty good

>> No.629529

Lack of DVD killed the Dreamcast. That and the shitty track record SEGA had made for itself of abandoning its hardware like a black father, but most PS2 having DVD capabilities and Dreamcast not having DVD.

Software piracy is really just another kick in the pants, but not the cause when they weren't selling Dreamcast units period.

>> No.629543

What is really funny is that consoles that can be pirated easier usually sell moar

why do they complain

>> No.629541

>>629510
>This means the next one's going to be better now that they picked themselves up from what happened with the N64 right? Ha-ha

We all know how poorly the Wii sold.

>> No.629554

>>629543
It scares off/pisses off developers. Who wants to make a game for your system when nobody is going to buy it and everyone is going to pirate it?

That and the real money isn't in selling the console. Before, it was in the games. Now, it's in DLC.

>> No.629595

>>628536
The SNES won. Genesis had some great games but were eclipsed by Nintendo in the end.

>> No.629597

>>629554
ppl who pirate shit weren't going to buy it anyway
I don't think it hurts anything

if they couldn't be pirated they wouldn't even bother getting the console which means the same ammount of no profit

Let's suppose a kid who owns an unpirateable console. He'll get games only at his birthday, christmas or w/e holiday and will probably only want to buy shit the magazines tell them to do so.

Then there's rental and used games but we are already way off topic

>> No.629679

>>629597
Piracy killed the PSP though.

>> No.629681
File: 29 KB, 620x250, Super-Nintendo-PlayStation-620x250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628536
The real question here should be: what if this happened?
(pic VERY related)

>> No.629697

>>629681
this fucking this

fuck you for dropping the ball nintendo

fuck you

>> No.629704
File: 31 KB, 520x369, sony_nintendo_playstation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>629681

The problem is if that could have ever happened. At that time, Nintendo was so up its own ass I don't think a partnership with another giant could have ever happened.

If it did? Well, we saw what happened with the 64DD, the only other major system add-on Nintendo released. And we can couple that by seeing the way developers responded to the SegaCD. Probably low market share and few developers using it the correct way.

I think if the Super Nintendo CD-Rom add-on happened, then we could have gotten a disc based N64 console. And with no playstation, there may have been an even contest between N64 and Saturn. Dreamcast would still kill Sega but they could have gotten another year or two from the extra saturn money.

I'm just rambling on anyway. Nintendo would fuck up their relationship with Sony either way. Instead of a PS2 we'd get a PS1.

>> No.629708

>>629704
You know what, I think the eventual Sony/Nintendo just got delayed a few years. It'll happen one day.

>> No.629714

>>629681
No Philips CD-i Mario Hotel. No Youtube Poop.

I like this alternate reality already.

>> No.629716

>>629708
why? sony is better off alone

nintendo pimping mario to sony will be a sad day

>> No.629723

>>629278
It only needs the same games that nintendo has been reusing since 10 years with a few graphic upgrades to be successful.

>> No.629749

>>629708
Neither of them have the same mindset anymore. The only way it could happen is if Nintendo was picked up by Sony like how Square was saved by Enix.

I'd rather imagine if the video game market was like the 90's and random companies made random systems. Although. It is kind of like that in the handheld market with android portables and opensource linux handhelds.

>> No.629754

I had a Genesis, then eventually I buyed a SNES pushed by the hammering promotion of game magazines, that praised it as the second coming of Christ, then i was disappointed, sure it had many wonderful games, but none of those make me drop my Genesis, that indeed was the console I enjoyed the most.

>> No.629770

>>629754

Just wondering, but which country are you from?

>> No.629817

>>629681
Then the xbox would kill sega instead.
I don't think the failure of the saturn can be overstated enough, it really canceled out all the gains they made the past decade.

>> No.629854

What the fuck was the idea behind the 32X, anyway? I mean, I know Sega wasn't exactly well known for their stellar business decisions, but did they really think they could release two 32-bit consoles (Neptune and Saturn) at the same time and have them both be successful? I like to imagine some Japanese businessman presenting his idea of the 32X/Neptune to the higher-ups which a chart that says "MORE CONSOLES=MORE MONIES" and the entire room just goes crazy.

>> No.629871

I personally feel as if the Genesis had a more diverse library of games. Sure, the SNES is remembered and renowned for its thundering first-party titles, but just about every genre on the Genesis had a healthy spattering of games.

>> No.629874

>>629854
> but did they really think they could release two 32-bit consoles (Neptune and Saturn) at the same time and have them both be successful?
They scrapped the Neptune idea because they knew it wouldn't work.
The 32X was cheaper than a whole new system and it would have worked.
When it didn't work they rushed the Saturn out the door and made a surprise retail release

>> No.629875

>>628536
>implying Sega Geneshit was good

I know you autistic types love the sanic but you really need to take your nostalgia goggles off.

>> No.629878

>>629871
SNES for me was exactly like my N64
Rare and first party
Everything else was on the Genesis/Playstation

>> No.629883

>>629871

I don't know. The RPG genre on the genesis was pretty bare and games like Phantasy Star haven't really stood the test of time.

>> No.629925

>>629883
I'll give you that, though I'd argue that Phantasy Star IV is still pretty damn playable today. However, on the flip side, you have genres such as scrolling shmups that were pretty barren on the SNES, and the few that were on it tended to suffer from serious slowdown. I guess I've just always held the conviction that, save for RPGs, the SNES's gems were mostly first-party games with a few great third-party games here and there.

>> No.629929

You cannot have a console war with the SNES and Genesis. They had very few games in common.

It wasn't like today where you had one main version and two scaled down versions. Back then they had completely different games with the same name.

Games were developed specifically for their respective system. The SNES was capable of more from a technical standpoint, that was never an argument, but it's not apples to apples to compare the SNES and Genesis versions of two games with the same name.

Have no idea what the Wii-U even looks like. Fuck Nintendo because I bought a Wii for Pikmin 3 and it never came out and MS made me threaten the phone operator with a lawsuit and BBB report just to get them to cancel an auto renew account on my little brothers account. They wouldn't let me cancel it because I didn't know the password to the account. It's my fucking credit card that pays it, who cares about the password. /rant