[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 142 KB, 370x269, The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6276602 No.6276602 [Reply] [Original]

People like to saythat Ocarina of Time is "overrated" or "OoT bad MM good", yet nobody really seems to go indepth about why besides baiting.
Personally, I enjoyed the game, but I think the problem is that the game is too easy, which can make it boring at times. There aren't enough enemies with interesting fighting tactics, dungeons are designed in such a way where it feels like a casual stroll (At no point are you required to pick which door to use your key on), and the outside segments feel almost unfinished (Has anyone gotten killed outside of a dungeon/mini-dungeon?)
This also ends up hurting exploration. The world is filled with power-ups and upgrades, yet almost all of it is unnecessary because Link is very capable by himself anyways, and most players would only do it if it was directly in the way while ignoring the rest (When was the last time anybody thought that they really needed a Red Potion to survive?).
It bothers me since they got the difficulty perfect in Link to the Past, yet kind of dropped the ball for this game since they were thinking too much about the fact that 3D was kind of new and the size and scope of the world.

>> No.6276605

>>6276602
1.The third dimension.

>> No.6276615
File: 41 KB, 768x740, mm-kink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6276602
i didnt read anything you said but i like playing majors mask

>> No.6276624

>>6276602
In previous Zelda games one heart container equaled two hit points. In OoT and onward they were worth four.

>> No.6276654

OOT and MM are both the best games in thier genre. I think MM is slightly better due to having a more alive world, better atmosphere, less generic story, and NPCs that arent just stationary cardboard cutouts like in OOT

>> No.6276661

>>6276654
But they are literal cutouts because they're the same models from OoT. I guess Nintendo couldn't be bothered to make new ones and just hand waved that Termina is an alternate version of Hyrule (if that was true then where are the Termina versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganon?).

>> No.6276664

>>6276661
MM NPCs travel around town, have their own schedules, have their own sidequests and stories. OOT has some of that, but much less

>> No.6277043

Walking across hyrule field is boring when you become an adult. It’s just a big open field with nothing in it and it takes like five minutes to cross it until you get epona

>> No.6277084

>>6277043
I didn't think it was boring at all, it reminded me of walking through a meadow on a warm spring day. It was probably inspired by Shiggy's own treks through the countryside in his youth.

>> No.6277148

I'd actually recommend playing though OOT on Master Quest mode if you haven't. The Dungeons puzzle designs from what i remember were more interesting along with how you went through the dungeons. It's been a long while so i might be misremembering though.

>> No.6277157

>>6277084
In a real meadow you would be under constant attack from geese, bees, Mormons, and wild dogs

>> No.6277169

>>6277157
But I've wandered through several fields and meadows and none of those ever attacked me (except for the Mormons).

>> No.6277328

I agree, combat being too easy and uninteresting is oot’s main flaw.

Part of why may have been because it was still early enough that a fair number of people had never played a 3D action game. I still remember showing the game to a few people who dont play games much and it took them a while to remember to use z targeting of all things. Now we have stuff like devil may cry or what have you, we’re used to 3d action games with lock ons. Oot was designed specifically for people who weren’t.

I still think they could have made it harder, especially later on, but I get what they were thinking.