[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Maintenance has concluded successfully. 2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled.
2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 104 KB, 550x550, FirstVersions_SpaceInvaders_screen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6240862 No.6240862 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

There are people browsing this board right now who don't understand/appreciate the OG of video games.

>> No.6240876

Hmm, but that's not the first game ever, neither is Pong by that matter, the first few games were around in the 60's, unless you count that Tic-Tac-Toe OXO released in 1952!

>> No.6240882

>>6240862
Are there even any games from before the '80s that have aged well at all?
Can't think of anything.

>> No.6241030

>>6240882
well yeah, there's OP pic and Asteroids from 79

>> No.6241046

>>6241030
Asteroids is fun but even back then I never liked Space Invaders much. Galaxian is pretty cool though.

>> No.6241090

Space Invaders for the Game Boy running on Super Game Boy is kinoest Space Invaders

>> No.6241101

>>6241090
It is cool, but the original arcade version will always be the best if only for the *tsssssss* sound it makes when you fire. No idea why they replaced it for a beep in the later versions

>> No.6241112

>>6241101
Game Boy version has that sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BJmtCCvx_Y

>> No.6241130

>>6241112
close, but no cigar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU4psw3ccUI

>> No.6241142

>>6241112
>>6241130
Gotta give the little Boy credit for trying

>> No.6241146

>>6241142
of course, it's an awesome version, especially that it basically has the full snes version included.

>> No.6241157
File: 169 KB, 605x1280, DSC_4661.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6241157

>>6241112
I played the gameboy version while waiting in line this morning
Inverting the colors with right+B gives you that original arcade white-on-black

>> No.6241501

>>6240862
Unfortunately there are a lot of them. We need to retcon some some woke feels deepest lore to get them interested.

>>6240876
Hmm, but that's not the first time I saw a tard strawman because he literally couldn't understand what he was reading

>>6240882
Sure. Excluding countless pinball games with are "retro" and "aged well" There's some great classics from the 70s. In addition to space invaders, breakout, asteroids, and galaxian are solid. Even pong is fun as a simple 2 player challenge.

>> No.6241515

>>6240862
Shitty arkanoid ripoff

>> No.6241650

>>6241515
Which was in turn a shitty pong ripoff

>> No.6241745

>>6241157
neat!

>> No.6241748
File: 143 KB, 495x373, thosecurves.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6241748

I loved this shit. It had an ending, it actually did a decent job at world building, and the boss fights were fun and tough when I was younger

>> No.6242165

>>6241090
>>6241748
Space Invaders is a surprisingly consistent franchise, low key great games for almost 40 years. A Space Invaders collection is coming to Switch soon... in Japan

>> No.6242321

>>6241501
>Hmm, but that's not the first time I saw a tard strawman because he literally couldn't understand what he was reading
"There are people browsing this board right now who don't understand/appreciate the OG of video games." (pictured: Space Invaders)
We're all lost, anon. Which game was OP actually referring to? Oh, I see...:
>OG
Isn't that a subjective opinion? Where is the strawman? Gosh, you're such an unlikable faggot, anon. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you a slow painful death.

>> No.6242347

>>6242165
Never really cared for the original Space Invaders even if i have no problem with score chasing games, it's a bit too simple and slow compared to something like Galaxian and further on.

But Space Invaders sequels fix it's problems and then some, at least some of them, i swear, Space Invaders Extreme should be a game developers must study when it comes to remaking or bringing an old arcade game into the modern era.

>> No.6242709

>>6242347
>Space Invaders Extreme
The second title should be made into an arcade game. It's absolutely sublime.

>> No.6242723

>>6242709
Is SIE 2 worth buying? I heard it is easier than the first one. How does the music compare?

>> No.6242727

>>6242347
>the original Space Invaders is slow
I never quite got this argument. It is slow for the first minute or so but then it becomes very hard and very fast in no time at all. Most people can't last more than a few minutes.

>> No.6242830

Thread theme and obligatory IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2lGJMrUUHw

>> No.6242847

>>6242830
bonus track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXIETxyObg

>> No.6242916

>>6240862
Thanks OP. That takes me back
>1979
>playing the cocktail table version at the local Blimpies
>getting called a nerd and goaded into a fistfight over my diorama of the Battle of El Alamein
>losing
actually, nevermind

>> No.6243152

>>6242321
>i'm very mad
>not because i embarrassed myself
>but because you pointed it out
I know. That was the entire reason I pointed out your stupidity. And it gives me pleasure to know that triggerd you so violently

>> No.6243193

>>6240876
I am the guy who posted this badly made post, whoever posted that other post was just defending me.

>> No.6243251

>>6240862
You must appreciate the i n v a d e r g a m e.

Honestly this style of arcade game is by favorite. Atom Smasher, Lunar Rescue, Yosaku, Dorachan, Tora Tora, etc. Favorite format.

>> No.6243263

>>6242916
>fast food chains that weren't Pizza Hut having arcade games
Nice larp.

>> No.6243417

>>6243263
>what is a franchise?

>> No.6243552
File: 71 KB, 673x974, 1574692207701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243552

>>6243263
Nothing makes me more happy than watching idiots on 4chan think they know what they're talking about..

>> No.6243557

>>6243417
>what is a franchise
A fast food chain. Are you retarded? Do you know what synonyms are?

>> No.6243560

>>6243552
Yeah, you definitely knew what the 'old days' were like, you retarded fucking Spongebob poster. Genocide all larping teenagers.

>> No.6243574
File: 168 KB, 512x384, sb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243574

>>6243560
...you like Spongebob don't you anon?

>> No.6243575
File: 134 KB, 299x299, 1578687677381.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243575

>>6243560
Ah, shit. You got me. I guess I should post some Amuro next, huh?

>> No.6243578
File: 55 KB, 750x740, 465d8a5a8d057f9f5c9bf2ceb187ce5fea4d3e55_hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243578

>>6243560

>> No.6243584
File: 31 KB, 350x365, sheriff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243584

Howdy, mister.

>> No.6243731
File: 41 KB, 616x826, sc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6243731

how does one git gud at this game??

>> No.6243750

>>6243731
I believe once you get so far in the game, if the invaders are just above you they'll shoot though you because of the way their lasers spawn. At that point, it's nothing more than common sense and pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSSxLe_AFE

>> No.6243770

>>6243750
darn... this kind of ruins it for me ahhhhhhgh!!

>> No.6243910

>>6243263
>larping about larping, larpception
Top kek kid. Where did you experience the 70's, reddit or youtube?

>> No.6245105

>>6243557
Not all fast food chains are franchises
A franchise owner/operator has more latitude with running their store
Some even put arcade games in their stores, or did, back when loads of places were trying to cash in on the arcade game craze
Even laundromats and 7/11s would have them

>> No.6245118
File: 6 KB, 512x480, defender-2-stargate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6245118

>>6243263
My first gaming experiences were playing Defender and Pac Man at the little roadside diner going into town. They didn't even make pizza.

>> No.6245126

>>6245105
This too. 7/11s were where most people played street fighter and mk where I was.

>> No.6245167

>>6243731
Shoot the outside columns of invaders first
This way it takes them longer to cross the screen
When the get across the screen, they move down

>> No.6245173

>>6245167
that works for the first few levels, but then it becomes impossible later on. The real GOAT strategy is here: >>6243750

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action