[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.68 MB, 1280x720, bd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6227514 No.6227514 [Reply] [Original]

I've been playing Doom (or Doom II) since I was like 7 years old (I was born in 1988), and I love these new mods. To me, it keeps the game playable even in 2020.

Yet when I mention Brutal Doom I get all this disdain and people poo pooing. Why is Brutal Doom oh so hated?

>> No.6227517

>>6227514
It's overbloated and overrated. I remember enjoying the first versions but since then Sarge added lots of unnecessary crap to BD and still continues to do so.

>> No.6227519

>>6227517
I honestly like the angle they're working with, where it's this suite of tons of little mini-mods. It's like a mishmash.

>> No.6227523

>>6227514
>AVAIABLE
Quality

>> No.6227528

>>6227514
There was a thread about this last month.

>> No.6227541

>>6227514
Brutal Doom brought in a LOT of people in to playing Doom for the first time due to it's popularity... and many of those people often only associate Doom with Brutal Doom, and have never actually played the base game. The mod also has an AWFUL community that harasses other mod makers with endless questions like "Why isn't this compatible with brutal doom?!", and reporting bugs acting like its ran on just doom2.wad when it was actually ran with brutal doom.
I honestly think it's somewhat of a fun mod, but it's shit community has caused a fissure with the rest of the modding community. Also dosn't help that 90% of brutal doom is just other mods that were stolen with no credit attributed and put together, most of brutal is not original to it self which also is a point of contention with the modding community.

>> No.6227580

>>6227541
I'll admit that I do regard that Brutal Doom is like a semi-official mod compilation such that if you get something "in" Brutal Doom it's kind of an honor. It would be like getting your science paper published in Nature or something.

I think my attitude on this comes from the fact that I like modding a lot but I have work and other life obligations in my thirties and I just sort of want to see what the kids are up to these days on the thing I hold dear and find very classic. I can no longer make the mods myself, and often don't have time to even sift through all the crappy ones.

So I like it in that regard, but I can imagine something like this rising to a semi-authoritative social position, especially if it's attracting youngsters, being very irritating to the old guard who walked a less corporate path than I did.

>> No.6228354

>>6227514
I think most of the hate comes from the developer being a bit of a bellend and the community for the mod being filled with newbies who are obsessed with it. Personally I think the mod is cool.

>> No.6228369

>>6227580
I don't know who'd be dumb enough to find it an honor their shit gets stolen without credit to be assimilated into that unfocused mess of a mod. Mark should have stopped adding shit years ago and focused on polishing what he had but he's now "the brutal doom guy" so he feels like he's obligated to constantly make his shit bigger.

>> No.6228376

brutal doom had horrible community of screeching teenagers demanding other mod makers to be BD compatible

>> No.6228380

>>6227514

Agreed, op. I first played Doom when I was what, 6-7? I love brutal Doom, I've played vanilla Doom 1 & 2 to hell and back, Brutal Doom breathes new life in Doom for me, you just have to take it for what it is, a silly ultra-violent romp.

>> No.6228383

>>6227514
BD was good at first. Still has the little things that make it enjoyable but the fanbase and the main dev are really obnoxious

>> No.6228387

>>6227514
It's loved by most, hated by a very vocal minority of trannies because it's popular and the dev refuses to apologize for having a non-pozzed worldview. That's all there is to it.

>> No.6228407

>>6227514
I find the gore in the original DOOM good enough and the one in this mod excessive and unnecessary, it stops being cartoony and feels more like some fetishist psycho's wet dream. A lot of people say it's in the spirit of the game and what a modern sequel would look like, but I beg to differ as even the gore in D44M is more tasteful than this.

I seem to remember at some point the creator was gloating about ripping textures from real life gore photos and videos to make the mod more realistic, I think he got a lot of backlash for it and ended up not doing so (or at least didn't announce it publicly if he did), but that's exactly the kind of mentally ill person that I would expect to make and enjoy something like this.

>> No.6228415

>>6227514
it got too popular so the doom community became jealous, and then annoyed at all the kids starting doom with brutal doom.
also the creator is kinda a douche.

personally I love the enemy changes, although the weapon changes are a bit too much.

>> No.6228417

>>6228407
>it stops being cartoony and feels more like some fetishist psycho's wet dream
Reminder that this is exactly the shit that was being said about vanilla Doom after Columbine.

>> No.6228436

Brutal Doom has a terrible codebase, suffers from feature creep, an annoying fanbase, annoying people who ask about this stupid shit all the time, and annoying contrarians who defend it.

The mod itself at this point is nothing to write home about, there's a lot of mods out there that do what Brutal does better. You want new weapons? Check Final Doomer or DRLA, you want gore? Nashgore, you want a lot of dumb edge? Grezzo 2, Rootpain, or Daytime drama.

>> No.6228439

>>6228436
>4 out of 5 complaints have nothing to do with the actual gameplay
Every time.

>> No.6228446

>>6228439
You fall under annoying people too. But fine, let's do this song and dance again.
Headshots trivialize stronger monsters, weaker monsters pose a larger threat to the point where certain encounters are unplayable due to shit like Zombiemen having action dives and faster attacks, and the imps lunge attacks can make certain fights where you teleport into rooms surrounded by them nearly impossible because they all do the lunge in unison.

Too many fucking guns at this point, where lines become more and more blurred between each weapon's role and just more shit to cycle through. Mark doesn't know what he's doing, he just throwing more shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

>> No.6228459

>>6228446
>it's too easy but it's also "nearly impossible"
ResetEra isn't sending their best.

>> No.6228467

>>6228459
You're not here to discuss the mod, you're here to shitpost.

>> No.6228491

>>6228467
The bulk of your "discussion" is whining about things not directly pertaining to the mod itself. I'm simply here to set the record straight while you continue the temper tantrum you've been throwing for years every time BD gets brought up.

>> No.6228498

>>6228491
I don't see you talking about Brutal Doom at all though. I've brought up my issues with the mod and you've chosen to just shit talk me rather than discuss what's worth defending or praising about it.

>> No.6228508

>>6227514
It doesn't help that the creator is one of the biggest assholes on the planet and to a degree doesn't understand level design and how Brutal Doom's additions break it.

>> No.6228509

>>6227517

This is true. BD got too bloated.

I'm glad he's focusing on something new, the guy is clearly skilled.
But he should have stopped sooner with Brutal Doom.
(same that his vietnam war mod is going to have demons in it though.. kinda ruins the setting)

>> No.6228510

>>6228509
Mixing demons in with military shit can work, Hideous Destructor proves that.

>> No.6228512

It's built on fucking spaghetti code of the highest order so even if we want to fix shit, we really can't without breaking everything.

>> No.6228526

>>6228510

Maybe, but I really would have enjoyed something more like Platoon TC/Nam/Platoon Leader.
The moment monsters show up you just lose that sweet 60s feel, where you're walking through the jungle, avoiding mines. taking cover and throwing grenades and calling for air support.
then all of a sudden a pinky demon shows up.. ugh, no thanks.

>> No.6228670

>>6227514
Really gay doom community internal politics

The creator did nothing that isn't extremely tame by 4chan standards.

>> No.6228701
File: 506 KB, 480x255, Brutal.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not to be ADDITIONS BAD but there's too many superfluous changes that change the game into something that it's not.
And the "angle" at which it does this is neither necessary nor creative.
>hurr flip off demons so exxtreme

>> No.6228708

BD itself is fine despite being badly made. I Don't give a fuck if its creator is a tranny or hates trannies or whatever.
The problem is though its essentially a parallel community who are largely exposed to Doom through BD, for them BD = Doom instead of being just another mod like it is in reality. So of course we wind up with the portbegging and other shenanigans like bug reporting wads that arn't even made with BD in mind (almost all of them) and the inevitable backlash against them.

>> No.6228816

>>6228354
A bit? That's a fucking understatement

>> No.6228830
File: 1.02 MB, 1853x725, Screenshot_2020-02-26 v - try to play Brutal and Hdoom get a greentext an - Video Games - 4chan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6227514
>Why is Brutal Doom oh so hated?

>> No.6228835

>>6227514
>Poodle broom

>> No.6229291

>>6227514
It's mostly kinda shit, average at best but also popular. So you get hoards of fans whining people don't make their WADs compatible with its fucking mess of code. People want the fans to just fuck off and getting rid of Brutal is the easiest way.
>>6227580
Getting into Brutal Doom is like getting into Nature? That would imply it was good thing to be in or had any sort of prestige to it. You have to work to get a paper into Nature, Brutal Doom will take any shit with code that can be copy pasted.

>> No.6229683

>>6227514
It's basically the only version of doom worth playing which makes boomers act extra assblasted for some reason.

>> No.6229721

I feel like Doom4Vanilla does a far better job of modernizing the experience. Its compatibility with most mods is also a plus.

>> No.6229743

>>6229683
Well imagine this... You've been playing your favorite game for years, you enjoy the content the players make for it, and you enjoy discussing about it online. Out of 1000s of mods, one mediocre but fun mod appears. It changes your game from that original retro game into one with all modern game features taken from the mainstream modern games (in this case Call Of Duty). It's fun to dick around with it sometimes, but it's nothing special. The mod happens to get really popular with younger generation, who don't like your game without the mod. So they come to your community. They say that your game is shit as it is, they demand that all those maps and other mods must be compatible with their favorite mod, and turn the discussion into immature to the point, that their arguments for defending their modded version of game is "fuck you retard faggot!!!", which eventually happens because they always shilling the mod and claiming that it's "the definite way to play". They also don't actually know anything about the original game, or what made it great. They don't appreciate the work of mappers make to craft challenging and fun encounters, because they don't play the game without that one mod. And that's why we old "boomers" don't like the BD.

Also "version of Doom". It's a one mod. Not any version of Doom.

>> No.6229778

>>6229743
If you need another active example of the typical Brutal Doom fan there's one in the main Doom thread right now. Him playing Brutal Doom is somehow "dunking on the ass" of anyone else. The mod would be fine if the fanbase would calm the fuck down about it.

>> No.6229875

>>6229778
>The mod would be fine if the fanbase would calm the fuck down about it.
Well it's mainly popular with the underage crowd, so they have hard time calming down.

>> No.6230186

>>6227514
unironically because it's popular, thats it. all anti-bd arguments are simply excuses to cope with it. the fact that the only people that get into the bandwagon are purists, contrarians and butthurt soimodders doesn't make it easy to believe they are genuine complaints.

>i dont like it = bad
>bawww the author said the n word once and is edgy!!11
>muh copyright
>muh arbitrary cherrypicking of ''bad features'' to justify my entire dislike for the mod (i don't like it= bad btw)

>> No.6230215

>>6227514
>Trash looking bolognese gore effects
>shit quality spritework
>weapons that fuck up the balance
>feature bloat
>not being a doom game anyone

That and it's mainly appealing tho the-

>"BROOO DID YOU SEE THOSE EXPLOSIONS AND HOLY SHIT YOU CAN FUXKNG FLIP THE DEMONS OFF AND TEPL THEM TO GO FUCK THEMSELVES NB OMG BRAAAAAAAHH EPIC LMAO"

-crowd

>> No.6230276

>>6229743
If you go to the Facebook Doom groups, where people with actual faces gives their opinions, you will notice that the average Brutal Doom player is actually over 30, often engaged and with children, that actually played the game when it came out, and is now is just enjoying a different experience. Yes, there are some retarded kids here and there, but they are far from being the majority.
The "edgy children" argument fails flat with just a bit of research. It's just a coping mechanism for you to deal with the shitty life where you find yourself right now, where you didn't succeed at anything, and playing a popular old game somehow makes you feel special. When you say "they don't actually know anything about the original game" you look so entitled for knowing about useless vidya trivia that it's just sad. Try learning some useful life skills and some healthy hobbies (one that does not involves videogames) for your own good.

>> No.6230283

>>6227580
I see many problems with this. Mods for the original Doom are so fucking easy to find, it's not even funny. Just literally search up "Doom mods" on YouTube and scroll for five seconds.

Doom Mod Madness by IcarusLives is an easy way to find many many mods for the original Doom games that far surpass Brutal Mood: 666 Over 9000 Edition 4.

I got my start into playing Doom mods from Brutal Doom, I will admit. But after a while I just got done playing it. It got boring, so I found other mods. Then, the treasure trove hit me. It was like an avalanche.

Demonsteele, GMOTA, Combined Arms, Guncaster, Trailblazer, Russian Overkill, High Noon Drifter, Project MSX, Final Doomer. Mod after mod, of just creativity gone wild in the Doom engine.

If you think that Brutal Doom is important, you might be right. Normies discover that mod way more frequently than other mods and within normie circles it's seen as the definitive gameplay mod for Doom. However, what you'll soon discover is that Brutal Doom is bland, stale french fries compared to the loaded baked potatoes that other mods offer.

>> No.6230285

>>6227514
I prefer doom Chillax and Master of Puppets
Brutal doom is the one like CoD right? Too complicated

>> No.6230372

>>6230276
I'm over 30 myself, and played the game when it came out. Engaged but not children yet (planned though). Played all kinds of wads, and other retro shooters since 90s. Tried Call Of Duty and other realistic shooters years ago, but they never grew on me. That's why Brutal Doom did neither. It's not my thing. And that's why I'm posting on /vr/, because I enjoy those games that I grew up with, because I'm nerd (old school nerd).

I understand if one likes the Brutal Doom. There is nothing wrong with playing gameplay wads. Howerer there is plenty in telling other players how to play their game, and saying that one mediocre wad (and not even best gameplay wad) is the definite way to play Doom. It gives those modern features to Doom, that keep me away from modern games.

My life is good. I have plenty of other hobbies, howerer retro games are one of my hobbies and no I'm not gonna regret it (why would you even be on /vr/ if you hate that shit). And if I lowered myself to your level could describe to you, how I have sexy and loving wife, fun and well-paying job etc. I could also insult you, and start my own psychological analyzing, how everything in your life must be sucking. But that would be just retarded thing to do. It would turn this argument into petty and cringy battle of egos, where neither of us can really prove, that is anything that we say true. This is anonymous board after all. So if you want real good argument, don't start projecting how my life must be shitty, because I prefer the stuff what I grew up with.

Also Doom doesn't make me feel special. Hell no I'd want that. I want large Doom community and that's opposite of being special. And yes if you start to tell how some game is shit without one mediocre mod, that's in my eyes "not knowing anything about original game". It's a prick attitude.

>> No.6230384

>>6230372
Your entire argument crumbled right at the beginning when you compared Brutal Doom with Call of Duty, sad old man. By doing this, you just proved that you hate it because you want to be a part of some special club of nerds to make yourself feel special.

>> No.6230415

>>6230384
It's not full Call Of Duty, but it does take elements from it. I've played vanilla Doom, I've played first Call Of Duty (actually completed it) and tried Brutal Doom, when it came. It was fun dicking around with, but not my taste. I don't have problem with you liking Brutal Doom, but yet you seem to have problem that not all people like it. And this is exactly my critism with Brutal Doom fans, and you are proving right now. You are getting mad, you are insulting me, and generally acting very immaturely. Typical Brutal Doom fan. I don't like one mod, that's just one mod, and you are getting hissy fit and start throwing all kinds of insults.

> special club of nerds to make yourself feel special.
I should be ashamed of being a nerd on retro video game image board of 4chan? Can't do that.

Maybe you should try calling me retard, faggot, impotent or tell me how you fucked my mother? Maybe that would make you win the argument for Brutal Doom? It's worth trying.

>> No.6230426

>>6230415
>but yet you seem to have problem that not all people like it.

No problem at all. I just see you, acting all righteous and proud because you play an old game without mods, explaining how superior you feel, and you are just practically begging to be made fun of. You just need a reality check.

>> No.6230438

>>6230276
Going on /vr/ of all places and saying "grow up old man" is not a stance that's going to get you far

>> No.6230446

>>6230438
And where did I use these exact words? Did you just had a seizure when reading my post or what?

>> No.6230456

>>6230426
You seem to have problem reading, so this conversation doesn't lead anywhere. I'm gonna say it one more time.

I don't have problem about you liking Brutal Doom.
I don't hate Brutal Doom.
I don't think you are any lesser person if you play Brutal Doom.
You can play it, and there is nothing wrong with it.
It's just not my taste, but there is nothing wrong in the wad itself.
I'm not proud or righterous or feeling superior about playing Doom without mods.

I just don't like people who tell me, that this one mod is the definite way to play Doom, and then start insulting and raging, when I want to play like I played it for years. I just don't like people who demand that all maps should be made to have compability with this one mod, when the mod itself has many compability problems. If you respect me and rest of the community, I respect you. If you don't, I will not.

Do you understand? Now go make fun of me, if that's you want. Do that mature thing. I'm waiting.

>> No.6230462

>>6230446
Not him, but
>sad old man
>Try learning some useful life skills and some healthy hobbies
That's pretty much it. You can thank me.

>> No.6230528

>>6227514
BD is good, just keep an old version like v19 or earlier or play with CVAR if you don't like new versions. BD is what brought me back to Doom

>> No.6230530

>>6227514
BD is gateway drug to other mods

>> No.6230542
File: 79 KB, 719x693, disnigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6230446
I never said you stated those exact words, I'm saying that was the context of your post you autist. Hell even the very beginning of your post is "well actually the real fans of Brutal Doom are cool, successful people, unlike you you loser" which is not only incredibly petty and a shitty argument, it does your side no favors because it's the gaming equivalent of when libtards say "I'm a better person than you because you voted for Drumpf" moral aggrandizing.

>> No.6230752

The maker of the mod is a twat and so are some of the people that like BD.

But it's fun to play.

>> No.6230831

>>6227514
I used to like the rip and tear/etc Doom comic because it was so over the top. Now Bethesda is trying to make into that for real, and mods like this are spammed everywhere. Can't stand it.

>> No.6230834

>>6230752
>The maker of the mod is a twat
That's putting it lightly.

>> No.6230857

>>6227514
Don't like all the gameplay.
Don't like all the graphics.
Really don't like the sound design.

>> No.6230890

>>6227541
>interacting with online """communities"""
>ever
there's your problem, my dude.
just shut up and play/enjoy game.
dont give a shit what other people think.

>> No.6230920

>>6227514
It's not. Stop spending so much of your time on 4chan. This site is the third or so most out of touch with reality website in existence. All the self-deprecating humor from /b/ from the 2000s has attracted actual retards and freaks and faggots who have abnormal opinions about literally every single thing in existence.

>> No.6231014

I don't know about BD much, except I downloaded it one and don't like it. However; it is pointless to argue with them because they will attack you, not your argument.

>> No.6231024

>>6228369
>I don't know who'd be dumb enough to find it an honor their shit gets stolen without credit to be assimilated into that unfocused mess of a mod.
I've never done game modding work, but as an artist who has seen their work get shitton more attention when reposted by somebody else as part of their thing while I get nothing in return, yeah, somebody more popular using somebody else's work as part of their project is just a gut punch, not an honor.

>> No.6231173

>>6230276
>If you go to the Facebook Doom groups
If you go to a website for old people you find old people, who would've guessed? Zoomers moved on from that shit already. Children are always attracted to the "edgy" goreshit. BD provides it.
>Try learning some useful life skills and some healthy hobbies
You sound like a depressed father disappointed in his son. Going on facebook isn't "research" you retiree.

>> No.6231269

>>6227514
What I personally like:
>some of the gore effects
>some of the weapons
>some of the detailing
>low tier enemies are stronger and more dangerous

What I personally don't like:
>all the sound design, it sounds really bad
>a lot of the other gore effects
>a lot of the awkward graphics and animations
>the increasing gameplay bloat with needless weapons and features, the considerable scope creep, when it should probably have been regarded as mostly finished many versions ago
>the performance issues, partially brought on by really terrible coding (I'll concede that my own code is an ugly mess though, so I don't hold it too much against him)
>the bugs
>high tier monsters being made much easier through mechanics like headshots and finishers, which really takes away from what could otherwise have been a nicely raised curve overall
>the shitty underage fanboys pestering modders and map makers for compatibility, frequently when it doesn't make sense

I don't dislike reloading like some people, depending on what style of game you're going for, it's fine. I also don't hate Ironsights, though I also think it only matters for guns which you would be using at longer ranges anyway, in concept; assault rifle can be used to spray at targets and groups at close to medium ranges, it shines for CQC, but looking down the sights you can use it to take some aimed shots at longer distances if necessary.

I think Sgt.Mark is actually a pretty good mapper, when he actually makes his own maps from scratch, and I wish he would actually make some Vanilla or Boom maps sometimes, just for the hell of it, because I know they will actually be good.

>>6227541
I think of it is a very mixed blessing, it did bring in a lot of people, a lot which also did have a lot of interest in playing and creating for the base game too, but there's indeed some annoying kids which it brought in.

>>6228376
>"Why doesn't this mod that replaces all the same actors and functions work with BD?!!"
The worst.

>> No.6231281

>>6228436
Rootpain isn't even good edge though (not that Brutal Doom's edge is great either).

To me, a good edgy game would be like Twisted Metal Black, where the game is so ridiculously exaggerated and edgy that it's just funny.

>> No.6231307

>>6228459
>the boss monsters that are supposed to be dangerous is made less dangerous by being given great weaknesses
>the weak mooks are made more dangerous by giving them lots of mobility and special attacks

I like that the imps and zombies are much more dangerous, but why the fuck do the big bad monsters have to be made into weak chumps because of it? At one point it was possible to kill a Cyberdemon with just 7 rockets, while this isn't the case anymore, it's an example of how inconsistent the difficulty is.

>> No.6231318

>>6230456
> I just don't like people who demand that all maps should be made to have compability with this one mod

Nice meme. Where does anybody go around trying to force mappers/modders to make their work compatible with BD? This shitpost of an argument is parroted every time BD is brought up. Also, you should grateful people have enough interest in your shitty maps/mods to request BD compatibility. But it's always some literally who faggot that's never won a Cacoward claiming mobs are dying to play his garbage with BD.

>> No.6231328
File: 2.56 MB, 322x178, laughing italians.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6230276
>If you go to Facebook

>> No.6231335

>>6231318
>Where does anybody go around trying to force mappers/modders to make their work compatible with BD?
Pretty much anywhere people are creating maps and mods.
People put code into their mods which fucked with you if you loaded them with Brutal Doom, and lots of kids took it as a personal attack, because how DARE someone not put lots of effort into needless and stupid compatibility?

>> No.6231423

>>6230890
Doom has one of the best online communities. Playing is only one part of it, modding and discussing are the rest.

>> No.6231634

>>6227514
Immoral Conduct is unironically better.

>>6231423
Uh, sort of.

>> No.6231675

>>6231335
>because how DARE someone not put lots of effort into needless and stupid compatibility?
You obviously don't know anything about Doom modding. Of course other mod is going clash with another mod, even more so when the other is absolute clusterfuck that adds things there and there with broken and buggy mess of a code. If someone can't play Brutal Doom with my map packs, it's not my problem. I create maps as my own hobby on my free time to have fun, ,ot to serve some underage retards, who can't appreciate my wad as it is.

>> No.6231684

>>6231675
That was my point. Dipshits think mods are magic and you can just wave a wand to make two different .wads/.pk3s which all replace the same actors and have conflicting scripts and even frames be compatible.

>> No.6231686

>>6231634
>Immoral Conduct
Did you know about the remake in the works?

>> No.6231697

>>6231686
?

>> No.6231708

>>6231697
Someone's been working on an updated Immoral Conduct with some touched up sprites and such, he's been mostly quiet and working on it in the background but he sometimes posts progress on the doom threads.

>> No.6231734

It's too much. I think he did a great job with Brutal Doom 64 though.
But the regular Brutal Doom is a bit too much.

>> No.6231735

You should try Beautiful Doom if you think Brutal Doom is bloated. It's so good.

>> No.6231737

>>6231708
I see.

>> No.6231743

>>6227514
new BAD
old GOOD

>> No.6231746

>>6231743
I like many new games, BD isn't one of them.

>> No.6231802

>>6227514
The main problem is that it bought a lot of new people into the community who had little to no appreciation for vanilla doom, and would thus incessantly demand that every map and mod under the sun be compatible with brutal doom, because playing doom without it was just unthinkable to them.

Its creator being a belligerent asshole on the zdoom forums didn't didn't help the mod's reputation either.

Basically it's considered "baby's first doom mod" for people who are outsiders to the general doom community.

>> No.6231891

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1233367262121193474

>> No.6231894

>>6231708
Any video?

>> No.6232847

>>6231894
None that I can easily find, your best bet would be to either lurk the doom threads, or just every so often, ask about it on the doom thread, the dev lurks there.

>> No.6232875

Mods on Zdoom forums ban you for mentioning it because he made a joke about niggers in a comment line of it's code.

>> No.6232878

>>6232875
He also told a user on the forums how to kill themself

>> No.6232880

>>6232878
>how to
It's not obvious?

>> No.6232883 [DELETED] 

>>6230276
>If you go to the Facebook

Reported. Fuck off and die cunt.

>> No.6232928

>>6232875
He's banned in most places because of a lot of really belligerent behavior, that thing was just an excuse to get rid of him.

>> No.6232959

>>6232928
>belligerent behavior
>doom fans
damn, the mass pussification of the webs even got to the doom community, huh?

>> No.6233029

>>6232959
You think he would have been tolerated on bulletin boards back in the day? The man has an attitude problem, he's in his fucking 40s and yet still behaves like a 15 year old angry at his dad.

>> No.6233136

>>6227514
Same shit in every Doom thread. Why?

>> No.6233568

>>6232959
Back in the day Doom community consisted of only of "civilized nerds". Such behavior wouldn't have been tolerated neither then.

But now at 2020 you are considered "pussy", if you don't go full seething and sperging retard at internet. Pussification isn't problem, retardization is. Being full bastard at forums doesn't make you a tough guy. Discussion used to be more civilized even in 4chan. Most hostility was humorous.

>> No.6233580 [DELETED] 

>>6232959
>damn, the mass pussification of the webs even got to the doom community, huh?

The Doom community is full of literal faggots and trannies who are also hardcore Bernie bros. It went full retard after the 2016 election.

>> No.6233605

>>6227514
Reminder that /vr/ loved brutal doom originally, but then Doom 2016 happened and they noticed that brutal Doom fanboys were considered immature and god knows 4chan has to feign superiority

>> No.6233607

I don't like FPS games EXCEPT for Doom, so why the fuck would I want a mod that adds gay shit like headshots and freeaiming? Gay gay gay gay gay

>> No.6233609

>>6233580
It has leftists and rightists both. Mostly it's just us boomers, who just who want to play that game and don't care about politics when playing Doom. I'm not even from USA, so I couldn't care less does Bernie win, since it doesn't affect my country.

>>6233605
Everyone loved Brutal Doom when it came out (myself included). It was then supposed to be just one mod, that you can fuck around with. Then came the new Doom generation (much before 2016), who claimed it was the definite way to play and wanted all mods compatible with Brutal Doom (most not even understanding that Brutal Doom is just a mod, and not official version of Doom). Then Brutal Doom got bad it's reputation. You have weird way of seeing things. Like Brutal Doom if you want, but you have to admit that the community it brought with it is from ass itself.

>> No.6233684

>>6233609
>community it brought with it is from ass itself.
Brutal Doom:
Knee-Deep in the Fans
The Shores of Ass
Flamewar
Thy Threads Consumed

>> No.6233696
File: 338 KB, 400x400, watchout.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6233698

>>6230834
>>6230752
So what's the deal with him? He was racist right?

>> No.6233725

>>6233605
Aggressively revisionist, you can go look up complaints about it before Doom 4 was ever revealed.

>> No.6233752

>>6233698
Yes, but he isn't just racist. He steals stuff without permission that other modders have done, doesn't care about bugs in his mod because he can't code shit, and generally acts like gigantic asshole towards everyone like Graf x 100.

>> No.6233758

>>6233698
>He was racist right?

Not defending Sarge, but lets be honest here.. most people are pretty racist.

>> No.6233768

>>6227514
There are legitimate gripes regarding certain bugs, but otherwise don't fret over this shit dude. Play whatever you want. It's your life. Btw Project Brutality>Brutal Doom.

>> No.6233784

>>6233698
I mean maybe, but I don't know to what extent. I know he made a nigger joke in the comment to his code somewhere, which in fairness doesn't have to mean he hates blacks, he could just have a very edgy sense of humor (and we know he's an edgeboy).

>>6233758
I think most people are more subconcious in their racism. I also think that a lot of things which aren't racism is called racism, when it's less intolerance or hatred of genetic race, and much more attached to culture.

>> No.6233847

>>6231269
Can you give an example for a gore effect you like and one you dislike?

>> No.6233874

>>6233847
I really, *really* like the effect when you burn enemies to charred chunks of smoking coal with the plasma gun, that's a really awesome visual, and it makes the plasma gun stand out more from the other weapons.

I pretty much hate all the blood effects, because I dislike most of the graphics for them and the sound effects. It all sounds too constantly liquid, not enough sounds of chunks and bodyparts thudding, bone crushing, etc. The blood itself also looks to clean and even, it lacks texture and grit, I also don't like the blood 'mist' effects which just dissipate on the spot. A lot of it also looked way more high res than the other graphics, and it stood out against the otherwise pixelated sprites and textures.

I'll admit however that I haven't played it in a number of years. I've seen that later on there's been the addition of disembodied entrails and stuff, which is a neat detail. I kinda liked when blood stuck to the ceiling and would drip onto the floor, though I think when I played, that would happen when any blood effect was near a ceiling, which I think made it kind of excessive and ruined the novelty, rather than just have it happen during particularly violent deaths with a lot of gibbitude. It's also pretty memory intensive, which partially is sloppy coding on Mark's part, but partially also the inherent bottlenecks from how GzDoom is constructed, so that's not all his fault.
Properly coloring the blood for barons and cacos is good, but that's also pretty much expected from any mod which alters gore.

>> No.6235446

is there any other FPS with a gore system like Brutal Doom?

In most game, the NPCs just staggers a bit when shot and just get ragdolled when their hp reach zero. It fucking sucks

>> No.6235464
File: 1.95 MB, 490x390, pipebomb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6235446
Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior all kinda do it a little bit like that, not as exaggerated, but when you blow enemies up, gore and severed limbs go goddamn flying.

>> No.6237108

>>6227514
>ITT: People who were DOOM-playing edgy teenagers in 1995 complain about edgy teenagers ruining their game with even more edge than their boomer minds can handle

>> No.6237263

>Knee-Deep in the Dead
>The shores of Hell
>Inferno
Gradual, well through curve of difficulty and secrets
>Thy Flesh Consumed
WELCOME TO THE HELL FIELDS, MOTHERFUCKER

Still fun.

>> No.6237450

>>6233568
Back in the day everyone played doom, it was a mega success not just some niche nerd genre like VNs are today. It's weird revisionist bullshit when people act like only nerds played games.

Even ten years ago there would of been zero tolerance for trannies and faggots yet doomworld today is full of pride flags and pronouns. Like it or not the community is becoming a gay pride parade with all the bullshit that drags with it. People who just want to play doom and talk to fellow doom fans about doom don't want that shit. We want the game and content for the game not social agendas and pronoun slap fights. If anything it would be a shock that people playing fps games weren't calling each other faggots and niggers. Xbox live was infamous for it and defined that eras fps Giants. (Cod, Halo). You're revisionist history shows you didn't engage with the internet or the fps community of the era. 4chan was not the exception you think it was.

>Why don't you like brutal doom
It fucks up the elegance of the original doom. It's full of so much shit it makes everything messy and complicated in ways it doesn't need to be. Doom was not designed to have enemies climbing around maps and vertical mouse looks terrible. Putting those in the game is dumb and that sort of thing is universal in BD

The graphics are messy and smother everything in jam. The weapons overlap too much and the enemies are poorly designed and have no difficulty curve. It's a mod designed by someone who doesn't understand gameplay and covers up for it with excessive violence.

>> No.6237461

>>6237450
You're so obviously a fucking teenager talking out his ass. Get lost cletus

>> No.6237489

>>6237450
>Even ten years ago there would of been zero tolerance for trannies and faggots
Nobody cared about those things, people were indifferent to it.

>> No.6237507

>>6237450
>Back in the day everyone played doom, it was a mega success not just some niche nerd genre like VNs are today. It's weird revisionist bullshit when people act like only nerds played games.

Normal people played game on SNES/Genesis. Only giga-nerd played vidya on PC. Heck, base on what I remember, red alert at its height was far more popular than doom1+2.

>> No.6237514

>>6235446
If you don't mind game that is barely /vr/, soldier of fortune.

>> No.6237516
File: 27 KB, 132x98, 1567141898102.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Zoomer here. My first experience with Doom was playing the shareware through dosbox with keyboard controls. Played that way for a while, then stopped playing Doom for years. Around 2015-16 I saw Yahtzees Brutal Doom video, which got me back into Doom, and then that became the way I played Doom until the beginning of last year.
Eventually I got very bored of BD's gameplay, and started to miss the experience I had when I first started playing. BD holds no appeal anymore, it has the depth of a mosquitoes vagina and it's bloated to the bursting point.
I think BD is nothing more than a gateway drug to real Doom. Eventually they'll decide to play vanilla, and anyone with half a braincell will quickly realize no amount of gunz 'n' gore will make up for a finely crafted and balanced experience like vanilla Doom or any of the other, well-made mods.

>> No.6237542

>>6237489
Not true. In the 2000s calling people fags was a serious insult. It was a bad thing and people didn't like associating with them in gaming circles.

>>6237507
You don't get the sales figures doom got with just nerds playing it. Every kid who could get access to a PC played doom and Duke shareware. And that's not addressing the console ports of doom, which is how many of us played it back in the day while using a friend's PC to play doom

How has everyone forgot Pac-Man fever? Games were not nerds only.

>> No.6237548

>>6237450
>Doom was not designed to have enemies climbing around maps and vertical mouse looks terrible.
This has been bugging me for a long time, but why do people believe mouselook and jumping are an invention of Brutal Doom? This is a source port question, take it up with them.

>> No.6237589

>>6237548
People don't but BD shows it off the worst by making enemies use the walls for movement. The source ports allow it but BD makes the most common enemy require it which is why it's pointed out.

>> No.6237802

>>6237542
>In the 2000s calling people fags was a serious insult
No, it was cheap trash talk and only teenagers took great offense to it.

>> No.6237804

this thread is full of faggots.

>> No.6238396

>>6237542
>Not true. In the 2000s calling people fags was a serious insult. It was a bad thing and people didn't like associating with them in gaming circles.

You sound like some sort of religious type, the kind who was only allowed to play Mario and frowned upon other kids who used "bad words".

>> No.6238397

>>6237589
Imps don't climb walls in Brutal, they do it in Project Brutality, a submod

>> No.6238445

>>6232928
>He's banned in most places
>literally one forum

>> No.6238472

>>6237542
>Every kid who could get access to a PC played doom and Duke shareware.
>which is how many of us played it back in the day while using a friend's PC to play doom
And how did that contribute to the "sale figure"? Also, PC was friggin expensive and unnecessary back then and only giga-nerd would have a PC at home. Also good luck running DOOM with office pc since they were mostly 286/386. By the time the pentium rolled around, everyone was moving to something else.

>> No.6238940

>>6238472
386 was enough to run Doom if you reduced the screensize a few steps and ran in low-detail mode.
Might not have enough memory to run mouse drivers at the same time though, so you could be stuck playing keyboard only.

>> No.6239037

>>6237516
You're doing good zoomer. Glad you see the light, now show it to your fellow zoomer brethren and correct their ways.

>> No.6239826

>>6227514
>mod catering to the lowest common denominator and responsible for injecting whiny babbies and zoomfaggots into community
gee i wonder

>> No.6241219

It's shit.

>> No.6243760

>>6237263
Strangely enough, if you play on Nightmare, the inverse becomes true: the first episode is the hardest, and the third the easiest

>> No.6244140

>>6227528
EVERY DAY UNTIL YOU LIKE IT

>> No.6244145

>>6228417
Based Columbine, inspiring a whole new generation to pick up DOOM.

>> No.6244154

>>6227514
Honestly it's mostly Mark I can't stand. From my interaction with him he comes off as any arrogant prick. I remember one time on Doomworld he claimed people were critical of his wad because they were "jealous". Nothing screams douche bag more than waving criticism away as jealousy.

>> No.6244159

>>6230276
Selection bias, nobody under 30 uses Facebook.

>> No.6244169

>>6227514
Because some people, i.e. those with taste, prefer quality over quantity.

>> No.6244857

>>6227514
https://youtu.be/VYEtBWTWrCI
You can't make this shit up.

>> No.6244914

>>6227514
>NOT RETROOO REEEEEE
That's why.

>> No.6245214 [DELETED] 

>>6228415
>the doom community became jealous, and then annoyed at all the kids starting doom with brutal doom.
Well, what mods am i allowed to start Doom with then?

All i want is 1080p and some proper mouse aiming

>> No.6245248

>>6245214
GzDoom allows mouse aiming by default, as well as 1080p, none of those are features from Brutal Doom.

>> No.6246745

>>6230215
>not being a doom game anyone
No shit. It's a mod after all.

>> No.6246759

reminder that /vr/ (or rather /doom/) used to love BD and play it regularly on online servers but stopped when it got too popular and normalfags started liking it, even if it already had actual gameplay issues back then.

>> No.6246782

>>6246759
>reminder that /vr/ (or rather /doom/) used to love BD
Opinions were always mixed, don't lie.

>> No.6246806

>>6227514
Brutal DooM has gotten bloated since v18. Adding shit to change the balance rather than keeping the original balance (on steroids) that BD used to offer. Went from "DooM, but better" to "A DooM mod."

Also the DooM community has a lot of trannies and Sarge was called a Nazi for le edgy humor and B&. If I recall, he actually is a NatSoc nowadays.

>> No.6246818

>>6228446
>Too many fucking guns at this point, where lines become more and more blurred between each weapon's role and just more shit to cycle through
Ironically, Project Brutality has like 35 weapons and all of them have their use.

>> No.6247006

>>6238396
>religious type, the kind who was only allowed to play Mario and frowned upon other kids who used "bad words".
Except, you know, he played fucking Doom you sub-human nigger.

>> No.6247034

>>6247006
>>6238396
>a game about combating demons, as what can only be described as god's chosen champion
>100% depicting demons, the devil, and satanism as unambiguously evil, there's no gray areas, the only solution is to oppose it all as violently as possible
>this is supposed to be offensive to christians and other abrahamics
Never got this mindset.

>> No.6247309

>>6246818
>all of them have their use.

Are you being ironic? The latest version even adds an option to completely remove most of them after you get better ones.

>> No.6247551

>>6228498
even Brutal Doom fans don't like Brutal Doom. They just like to watch other people play it on youtube

>> No.6247574

>>6233696
I’ll kick this kids ass. Looks like a faggot. Nice sharp ass crew cut. I’ll fuck his boy pussy.

>> No.6247714

>>6247551
what

>> No.6249596

remember when sgtmarkiv put real-ass gore in this?

>> No.6250987

>all the seething cucks here lmao
Brutal Doom is famous for a reason, it's fucking good.
>bbut my really obscure artisanal mods
BLOW IT OUT YOUR ARSE
RIP AND TEAR

>> No.6251146

>>6250987
>Brutal Doom is famous for a reason
yeah, because of moddb and youtuber shilling

>> No.6251154

>>6249596
>remember when sgtmarkiv put real-ass gore in this?
And you're scared of this? What a wuss you are.

>> No.6251278
File: 146 KB, 482x651, question landlord.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6250987
>obscure artisanal mods

>> No.6252790

>>6251154
I'm not scared, it's just retarded and the rekt thread sourced images looked like mushy shit, fuzzier than the average rescaled space station 13 texture

>> No.6252906

>>6227514
It makes Doom into edgy CoD and I hate CoD, so I stick with Smooth Doom or Final Doomer or something like that for gameplay mods.

>> No.6252949

>>6237489
>>6237450
People were indifferent insofar as individuals being literally any kind of queer or freak they wanted. Nobody cared if you were gay/trans/christian/etc and wouldn't hassle you for it unprovoked.

However they also relished the freedom (actively fought for it even, which is weird to remember in that it's unfathomable how it ever stopped) to trash-talk with "homophobic" (but not really) language and rip on trannies comedically or whatever in a general sense. Casually. Panties untwisted.

Important distinction. Nobody cared if you were a homo, but if you acted like a huge faggot you'd be treated like one.

>> No.6252951

>>6227514
The superior game is blood

>> No.6253162
File: 816 KB, 1780x1050, 1431970414196.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6227514
The wad itself isn't hated. What is hated is the creator for being a delusional retard with a massive ego and the fanbase throwing a fit when it turns out other wads aren't compatible with Brutal Doom along with giving terrible advice to people new to Doom like saying to skip the vanilla version and go right to Brutal. Brutal Doom itself is fine, personally I'm not that into gameplay wads but I see the appeal.

>> No.6253175 [DELETED] 

>>6229743
>and turn the discussion into immature
Maturity was tossed out the window the moment two of your teenage fans shot up a school.

>> No.6253226 [DELETED] 
File: 93 KB, 811x628, wujuk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6253175

>> No.6253256 [DELETED] 

>>6253226
Way to prove my point with your childish wojak....

>> No.6253267 [DELETED] 
File: 48 KB, 800x729, wojak hurr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6253256
>Way to prove my point with your childish wojak....

>> No.6253269 [DELETED] 

>>6253267
Your last post got deleted I guarantee you're going to get banned for acting like a little kid straight from /v/ if you keep it up.

>> No.6253289

brutal babbies desperately trying to pretend this shit wasn't a weekly basis for every other modder on the planet:
https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5199

>> No.6253296 [DELETED] 

>>6229743
>and turn the discussion into immature
Maturity was tossed out the window the moment two of your teenage fans shot up a school.

Mods, if you censor me again I will file a report with the BBB. Do not anger me.

>> No.6253327 [DELETED] 
File: 101 KB, 302x446, inhaler.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6253296
>Mods, if you censor me again I will file a report with the BBB. Do not anger me.