[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 115 KB, 800x558, 163535-castlevania-legacy-of-darkness-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6157029 No.6157029 [Reply] [Original]

how's pic related? in particular how does the combat system compares between Ocarina of Time and Devil May Cry?

>> No.6157265

>>6157029
Doesn't really compare whatsoever to DMC, I guess more to Ocarina of Time, but not really well. Levels are largely interconnected, but you kind of keep going forward (plus you are timed, and depending on how long you take you can different endings).

>> No.6157274

It is Castlevania if it was 3D. Enemies go down quickly and you have a primary attack, a secondary attack, and a sub weapon.

>> No.6157280

>>6157029
there is a lock-on feature like in OoT but it's not as sophisticated. the gameplay feels sorta floaty and the attacks seem weirdly stretched out but hey, it's cool if they hit. Cornell tosses energy bolts and does claw cuts.

is it worth playing? yes, finished it ages ago.

>> No.6157295

>>6157029
IMO almost all 3D Castlevanias, whatever platform, suck hard.

>> No.6157315

>>6157295
The camera is rough and the controls aren't the most desirable so I can see why it turns people off. With that said I wish Konami still went down the N64 style and refined it more because they were more faithful to the 2D games. A decent amount of platforming along with quick combat against enemies. One hit or a few of them will down an enemy and you go on your way like the 2D games. It is a shame because they could have possibly had some decent 3D action platforming Castlevania games in the future.

>> No.6158006

>>6157029
Combat is simplistic but the games have interesting level design. I wish they tried to replicate the style of exploration and progression in this game when they made the ps2 Castlevanias. Sadly we got a crappy copy paste room labyrinth with the later games, if only 3d Castlevania was given another chance...

>> No.6158304

Is this the one that has the unkillable frankensteins monster that follows you through rooms? I remember that fucker scaring the crap out of me.

>> No.6158306

>>6158304
Yes.

>> No.6158325

>>6157029
What exactly is the difference between this one and the other Castlevania on the 64? I heard one is an updated version released within 12 months of the other.

>> No.6158408

>>6158304
>rooms

it's a garden labyrinth.

>> No.6158609

>>6158325
Yep, so LoD is pretty much an expansion pack of the first game which they claimed was rushed for the release date. There's a new character quest you have to start with for the wolf guy, with a few new levels for his quest, updated sub-weapon system, and they played around with the design of the levels from the previous game (for better or worse, up for debate).

The original title is a weird mix of platformer levels and puzzle/exploration style levels. In LoD Cornell's quest they tried to cut out the latter, but to be honest I think they're what made the original special. Anyway, you can play the character's quests from the original game once you beat the main quest with wolf guy on LoD anyway, so it basically contains the first game in it still with some slight alterations iirc, but nothing too drastically different.

Yeah, I love these games, think they are way underrated due to the weird controls, but you get used to them, and then it's a blast. Combat lock-on is barely worth mentioning, not as 'locked' as OoT, it's most just a case of pointing the camera at the enemies and launching attacks at them...

>> No.6158731

>>6157029
I liked it, but the end-game's kind of dumb. Gets a really bad rap from the platform it's on, N64 emulation sucking for the longest time (no longer the case), and SOTN's superiority.

>> No.6158750
File: 7 KB, 131x190, Cv64-frank2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For those curious, there was even a website for the original 64 title that was knocking around for a surprising amount of time:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010801154614/http://www.castlevania.de/english/index.html

They had a bunch of pictures and descriptions of all the characters, monsters and enemies, including some they didn't end up using, and some other neat stuff.