[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 82 KB, 141x106, makoto-walkforward.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6100634 No.6100634 [Reply] [Original]

Why did Capcom use dated Alpha sprites in their NAOMI when they had the capability to make something like fron SF3?

>> No.6100651

Because SF3 was a failure when it came out and those sprites sure cost a lot of money.

>> No.6100790

>CvS2
They did make new sprites, but only for the SNK characters and select Capcom ones. They reused Alpha sprites for specific characters to save budget.
Yun and Chun use their 3S ones if I'm not wrong
>MvC2
The whole point of MvC2 was to be a licensed mugen with as many characters as possible and it would take too much time to remake every sprite

>> No.6100795

>>6100790
And of course, still used the exact same outdated Morrigan sprite from 1994. God, they could have at least gotten rid of the black outlines so that she better meshes with the rest of the graphics, as even the Alpha sprites didn't clash so badly

>> No.6100875
File: 633 KB, 1585x900, morrigan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6100790
The CvS series had a few new sprites made for Capcom characters. Ryu and Bison had new sprites made for CvS, not sure why with Ryu (En and Akuma use their SFIII sprites) but I imagine Bison's Alpha sprite would have looked weird since his pose is sort of awkward. CvS2 then had Eagle, Maki, and Kyosuke made for some reason, they all looked great.
>>6100795
It's a shame they never remade her sprites despite using her so often. Even in vsav some characters like Morrigan and Zabel look a bit wonky when compared to the newcomers of that game. Tbe animations themself still look amazing but the sprites are held back by the resolution they had to work with.

>> No.6101121

>>6100875
>>6100634
>>6100790

>The CvS series had a few new sprites made for Capcom characters. Ryu and Bison had new sprites made for CvS, not sure why with Ryu (En and Akuma use their SFIII sprite

Huh, No? Ken and Akuma also had new sprite sheets (tough edited from Ryu of course) and Bison also got newer ones.

The issue came to making new animations and KOF style attacks for the Capcom cast, since the CPS2 sprites were wider due to them not using quare pixels, and being a side effect of editing them in special monitors that already made them thinner, but the new sprites were now made using the dimensions of KOF and modern sprites, aka, thinner sprites, not to mention that Naomi did not worked with resolutions that weren't 480p/480i and only managed non widescreen formats.

So they took the CPS2 sprites and used a weird algorithm to have the old capcom sprites thinner and they look even terrible due to no proper integer scaling of the sprites leading to mixels (i think MvC2 used something similar, tough those sprites were originally sprited using the old hardware they used for CPS2 dimensions), but even then the new animation idles like running and charging, i think they also looked a bit distorted.

>> No.6101132

>>6101121
Oh and no, Chunners and Yun did not use their CPS3 sprites, that was for that shitshow Capcom Fighting Jam, for CvS1 Chunli had her SFA2 sprites with the weird dimension algorythm and a few new animation idles for the KOF style moves.

For CvS2 they gave her a whole new set of sprites with proper uniform pixels but went with her SF3 version cause i guess they liked that a lot, Yun also got newer sprites.

>> No.6101213 [DELETED] 
File: 17 KB, 180x160, ryu-ken-cvs-specialintro.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6101121
>Huh, No? Ken and Akuma also had new sprite sheets (tough edited from Ryu of course) and Bison also got newer ones.
Nope, Ken and Akuma used their sprites from SFIII, Ryu was the only shoto to get a new sheet. you would think giving Ryu one they would just do the work and make edits for Ken and Akuma but no.

>> No.6102264

huh, I comment and this dies down