[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 30 KB, 329x225, Mother_boxart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6095424 No.6095424 [Reply] [Original]

Hello. I'm finally getting around to playing the mother franchise and am somewhat curious about a few things. I have an snes and believe I still have a gba lying around somewhere, so I would like to avoid playing an emulated one on PC. Are the reproduction cartridges any good? And if not, is there a way to play mother 1 translated on the Super Famicon? Or mother 3 on the GBA? I have heard flashcarts as another alternative. Are they any better?

>> No.6095431

>>6095424
Get Repro carts. Yes there is a version of all 3 to play. Even GBA Mother 1 and 2 is based off of Mato's translation of Earthbound.

>> No.6095446

>>6095431
Okay. I've heard there are a lot of mother 3 translations. Any in particular to look out for?

>> No.6095518 [DELETED] 

>>6095424

I don't know why you want to avoid emulators, but whatever that's cool - anyway you should try especially hard to play Mother 3 on real hardware, because an emulation setup is likely to interfere significantly with input timing, and in Mother 3 that actually matters somewhat even though it's a turn-based RPG. (It's not important in the other two games though.)

>> No.6095523
File: 951 KB, 250x227, mother_itoi_advice.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whatever you do, don't fall for the "anniversary romhack" of Mother 1, it changes the graphics for the worse, not even sure how that meme started, but avoid it.
Mother 1 on GBA is the most complete and QoL version of the game, save for the obvious shrink resolution and worse audio quality due to GBA, but it has an exclusive item at the end of the game that makes things a bit easier (not a ROMhack thing, this was legit on the GBA release). Otherwise, the "earthbound zero" NOA prototype that you can find for NES is fine too. I played it that way the first time. The only minor annoyance is that when you use the run button, the NPCs also start moving fast, making it seem like you're just FFing on an emulator, but the GBA version fixes this. Still a non-issue really.
For Mother 3 there's the one and only fan translation by Tomato, which is pretty good.

>> No.6095575

>>6095523
Dont do the easy ring bullshit either. When Nintendo put it on the Wii U I saw literal babies play through that game.