[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 117 KB, 1280x720, 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6088781 No.6088781 [Reply] [Original]

Are there people on this board that ONLY play retro games? If so, what is your reason?

>> No.6088807
File: 68 KB, 512x448, 6728584E-104B-41A6-9DD1-B31FFFFB9E13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
Yes. I like being able to just plug and play a game, no loading times, no mandatory internet connection, if I want to play co-op I have a friend over. I just appreciate the simplicity.

>> No.6088814

The nostalgia, it's what I played when I was little.

>> No.6088817

Modern games are shit

>> No.6088818

Modern games are 99% fecal matter. As the guy above me said. What better reason do you need OP?

>> No.6088881
File: 28 KB, 384x224, warriors-fate.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I only play 5 or 6 games, they have infinite replay value and are very hard, they all happen to be retro. Just a coincidence.

>> No.6088892

>>6088781
Yes. Autism and poser hipsterism.

>> No.6088896

>>6088817
>>6088818
You have the right to your opinions. Just want to say there are some game devs now who grew up with the exact same games you enjoyed and wish to recreate them. Shovel Knight is basically a love letter to classic platformers and A Robot Named Fight! (which is literally for less than $2 on Steam/Switch right now due to a 90% off sale) is basically a metroidvania that twist things up with every run, including progression items like a randomize rom hack but built into the gameplay itself because the dev wanted to make one that could last and impossible to fully explore in advance. The game is so cheap because the poor guy is sad that his dream game just never got popular. After two years of content updates it is kinda his last ditch effort to get people to try his game or finally move on to something new. He plans for one final update after the sale assuming nothing change in terms of the playerbase.

Like you are free to ignore new stuff but as a fan of retro games I don't shut my eyes to new games if they are able to give me the same feeling that retro games gave me. With that said though I mostly stick to retro games almost exclusively simply due game companies trying to sell "live services" and "licences to play" and not the games themselves. Trying to act like buying DLCs for an unfinished product is a privilege on the customer part. Nevertheless not all devs make games just for greed, some of them like the ARNF guy just wanted to make their dream game and share it to the rest of the world. Just gotta know where to look.

>> No.6088903

>>6088896
Cool story bro.

>> No.6088904

>>6088896
Nah, modern games are still shit

>> No.6088906

That's the only thing I can emulate. Hardly ever indie games run smooth (or at all) in old computers.

Anyway, I have more than 2 decades (plus GBA) of videogames, maybe the best ones, so I cannot complain.

>> No.6088909

I'm not interested in 99% of new games. I like arcade action that are light on story, which games seem to be going in the opposite direction.

If I like a game for the story like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy, I'll just watch a lets play to experience the game, honestly. I don't want to buy a new console or tons of new PC shit just to play one game.

>> No.6088914

There are people on this board that believe games are actually better today.

>> No.6088994

Gaming peaked in gen 6 and the hardware to that point is generally cheap as fuck, why would I be after anything newer if it's already more good games than I'll ever have time for in existence from gen 4-6

>> No.6088997

>>6088909
>I like arcade action that are light on story, which games seem to be going in the opposite direction.
Yeah during 6th gen I think too many games went overboard with cutscenes. You can still find an occasional indie game that focuses more on atmosphere though... but I haven't really found a good one of those for a few years either.

>> No.6088998

>>6088994
because there's cool games on later gens and pc which weren't possible on 6th gen or earlier.

>> No.6089012 [DELETED] 

Too many niggers and feminist shit in modern games for my taste.

>> No.6089030
File: 1.12 MB, 1916x1059, screenshot-2019-12-23_06:31:38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As a zoomer loser I play a shit ton fo retro games, pretty much all of them I haven't grown up with. For me it's two reasons: it's so much easier to download cause of the smaller file sizes and less intensivie memory requirements, and it's alot easier to pick up and play. Nothing like in Just Casue 2 where you wait a year to get to the fucking open world

>> No.6089045

I don't play retro exclusively but i often go back to them, or new games that imitate their simplicity.

Most of the time you do the same thing as in new games, solve puzzles, read dialogue, explore, jump and kick or shoot, but they take far less space on the computer, don't need optimization, no 1 hour tutorial for bullshit, quick sessions if you don't have the entire day to play, etc.

And there is probably some nostalgia, even for games I didn't play back then. I read about them in magazines and my child curiosity can now be satisfied. Sometimes I didn't know them at all but they encapsulate an era with which I'm familiar.

>> No.6089049

>>6088781
The majority of modern games are rubbish, why re-buy the constant remakes, remasters and re-eleases when you can just keep your original systems.

>> No.6089051

>>6088807
>if I want to play co-op I have a friend over
No kidding?

>> No.6089052

>>6088896
Yeah, as someone who prefers Gen 6, I can't say I understand the boomers who reject all the dozens of indie games that pander directly to them.
Oh well, they had their time, I've been ready for nostalgiac Gen 6 indies to take the main stage in the 2020s.

>> No.6089054

>>6088881
Which games?

>> No.6089059

>>6089052
>I can't say I understand the boomers who reject all the dozens of indie games that pander directly to them
You probably mean gen X, and they don't like to be pandered to. A great video game is literally art. Shovel Knight? A cash grab pandered to 'boomers'.

>> No.6089083

>>6088781
most current gen games are either movie games or dumbed down remakes/sequels
i'd rather play old shit than pretend to be hyped for the next modern warfare or casual fotm in general

>> No.6089089
File: 279 KB, 1181x664, ducktales.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089059
Not him but shovel knight is aimed at "fake retro" fans and literally worst case scenario

>> No.6089106

>>6088807
thats my reason too. no updates, no dlc. its all there as soon as you turn it on.

>> No.6089134

>>6089089
Played Shovel Knight and never understood the appeal. Sometimes it wants to be a NES game but then you have detailed graphics and backgrounds that doesn't fit the style of the game. Music was fine but unmemorable. Also, it played to me like a regular NES game, nothing special.

>> No.6089141

Refusing to play any modern game based on some imagined principle is pretty extreme autism. But if people just want to play the games they like and those games are retro I don't see what the problem is.

>> No.6089145
File: 6 KB, 256x224, valis3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a 20yo zoomer but play lots of retro games, for one because they're just so easy to pick up and play, can beat many of them in an hour so. I also like collecting the physical cartridges themselves.

>> No.6089167

>>6088781
A lot of /vr/ is retarded and actually buys those shit Chinese emulation devices instead of cracking a 3DS or something so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know there's a lot of good modern games

>> No.6089170

>>6088909
>Watching a let's play instead of actually playing it

Literally cancer

>> No.6089173

>>6089051
It’s just a point to alliterate the lack of online necessity. Sorry it’s so poorly phrased.

>> No.6089189
File: 692 KB, 1200x1586, 1526854616036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't ONLY play retro games, but I would say over 90% of the time I play games, they're retro games. I don't need to set aside an hour or two to get past the introduction or tutorial segment. Free time is getting scarce so it's just more practical for me to pick up an older game, likely an arcade port and go to town.

>> No.6089201

>>6089052
This board is full of bitter losers who hate everything.

That said, what the hell is "gen 6 nostalgia". The same games we have now but in lower fidelity?

>> No.6089208

>>6089201
gen 6 wasn't a constant flow of unremarkable FPS games, throwbacks and reboots. it was the transition from classic gaming to the crazy world we live in today.

>> No.6089217

>>6089208
I mean, I'm peak millennial, so gen 6 is my time. Played a ton of it and have more nostalgia for it than for gen 4 stuff from when I was very young (this doesn't equate to liking it more - I play way more SNES and Genesis stuff than PS2 - they are generally better).

What you're describing has more to do with the state of mega publishers that no one who's really into gaming today even follows anymore. How does one make a "throwback" PS2 style game? What even characterizes a PS2 game other than 480i low resolution graphics?

>> No.6089241

They're just quicker to setup, not shitting you. I don't have the time to input into a 100 hours jrpg with no savestates for cutscenes.

Not retro but for example I enjoy Total War because I can just play a couple of turns, do a battle and then turn off.
Maybe when I'll have a steady career I'll be able to enjoy moviegames in my ample spare time.

>> No.6089247

>>6089241
>100 hour JRPGs

What? Most JRPGs nowadays aren't as long as retro JRPGs

>Savestates

Ooh you're one of those people

>> No.6089248

>>6089217
>How does one make a "throwback" PS2 style game?
Well, it depends, right? I get what you're saying, and I think it highlights how bad the whole thing of "throwback" games is, because its a caricature of what old games used to be. Like, chuck in some low res graphics with a low color depth and use some cliches and you got a new game with a "retro" style. These games sell, though, because its just like the games they remember. But by 6th gen, devs had the tools to really make something more on its own. When I think of gen 6, I tend to think of turn of the millennium stuff - I think of cosmic smash, rez, The Designers Republic, techno CDs, a sort of futuristic minimalism. Even so, if I made something out of the stuff I listed, it capture one part of that era. My point is, even though my retarded mind struggles to structure it for you, many game devs are so creatively bankrupt today that they can only retread the same path over and over again, and so lusting for a time where there was true variety makes sense to me.

>> No.6089249
File: 50 KB, 660x466, 40939[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Born in the late 70s, grew up on Atari 7800 and NES. I was never able to get into anything made after, say, Quake.

The only modern game I've finished was some Castlevania game on a gfs DS back about ten years ago. Love Spelunky, though.

>> No.6089250

>>6089247
Yeah sorry for working full time and also studying, doing sports and going out, next life I'll just try to get a rich family instead.
Also, Persona 5 is likely 100 hrs with the cutscenes.

>> No.6089260

>>6089248
My issue is that I agree, I hate lazy cash-ins. But flash style 2d with marionette animation is lazy garbage. The old techniques look way better. Proper animation and sprite scaling looks fantastic and I want that but with widescreen and no limits on background tiles or sprites. Also, pixelation looks nice. It adds the illusion of detail, instead of just solid empty colors, which look cheap.

We get a bit of it, but its too much effort for little gain for all but the most dedicated developers.

This isn't wanting something "because I remember it". Its wanting it because I remember being disappointed as long ago as the PS2 era that this stuff was disappearing even though it looked way better than what replaced it. I just want quality.

>> No.6089261

>>6089250
>Look how busy I am!

JRPGs aren't meant for 8 hour marathon sessions

Also lmao what degree are you getting?

>> No.6089263

>>6088781
I play anything that isn't discrete crap or stuff from the Atari 2600 era. I just find them more fun and interesting, there's really no complex explanation about it. I have a PS4 gathering dust.

>> No.6089265

>>6089250
>He plays sports

Nerd

>> No.6089268
File: 286 KB, 500x530, b06dd350c2be6354a23e52351fb17998.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
I don't exclusively play retro i just enjoy it more and get more out of it. I'm also a gamedev so to me I still get a kick out of finding tiny mechanics and things that make me go 'wow thats satisfying' or 'wow that makes sense' like everything is in its right place.

I play modern games here and there, games like hat in time are great, even played some csgo for a while and that was pretty fun. But I still have more fun just booting up my snes and playing war of the gems for some reason and just kicking some ass. Its just satisfying. Dare I say, soulful, unironically?

>> No.6089269

>>6088881
>>6089054
Curious to know aswell.

On topic, i do because i just hate the modern insdustry and i don't want to support this crap one shekel, also because arcade like games are long gone.

>> No.6089354

>>6088781
The best games to ever be made have already been made, it's as simple as that.

>> No.6089369

I don't mind wether it's retro or not retro, I just prefer games that are shorter but fun to learn and master, fun to replay in different ways, etc., rather than games designed to be experienced over 20+ hours, offering more 'quantity' and scope of content rather than challenge. More often than not, the couple of hours are a chore, and you're sick of it by the time you finish it.

I like to feel pushed to know the game well and well rewarded for it by allowing different skill-based approaches to it in subsequent playthroughs. This won't click if the game is not challenging enough, too restricted "to the intended way of playing it", or just takes too fucking long to complete while not offering enough gameplay variety/progression to keep it interesting (dozens of hours of extra content won't do it for me if it all plays the same, just with a different enviroment skin and padded with useless collectibles).

Some of my favourite games are among the few current games that are still designed around the balance of length/challenge/replayability I like. Thanks to portables and digital, they've always had a place to thrive, even if they were not in the spotlight. But still, they're simply easier to find in retro.

I still follow the videogame industry as a whole, and I do appreciate some of the more cinematic games from recent gens, but I end up watching them on Youtube instead of buying them.

>> No.6089398

>>6089208
>it was the transition from classic gaming to the crazy world we live in today
that's 5th gen desu

>> No.6089431
File: 86 KB, 784x486, curse.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089052
Often the "fans of retros" doesn't even know what they want. A Robot Named Fight! biggest complaint is how the protag feel while moving and more so jumping. Wanna know a fun fact? The dev based it 1:1 to Samus on Super Metroid. The people who often complain also state they are a fan of Super Metroid and want a game like it. Fucking ironic that they are basically directly hating on the game they claim to enjoy once it is given a new skin.

>> No.6089443
File: 77 KB, 784x486, shrine items.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089431
The dev had to increase the fall speed in fact and literally change all of the rooms because they were set on the idea you were able to jump so high because the whiners (including the "fans of retro") kept complaining. So now the protag controls like a faster Samus and no longer a perfect 1:1 and even then people still bitch about the speed and jump nevertheless. You just can't make anyone happy. The dev finally said "fuck it" and ignore everyone who only play the game for 10 seconds, the game have progression items and speed boosting items but appealingly fans of metroidvanias couldn't assume such and judge the game on the default speed. I literally never met anyone who outright hated the game, they either respect it (like a MM fan would respect OoT) or outright love it. All of the haters from what I can tell outright hate retro and faking their claims or just bad at games in general. ARNF doesn't hold your hand and if you die then guess fucking what, you die. Enjoy the baby mode option of having save stations (basically act like extra lives) because that is your reward for dying for the first time.

>> No.6089446
File: 125 KB, 784x486, 15.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089443
Not even joking.

>> No.6089448

>>6088896
t. A Robot Named Fight! Dev
Maybe don't name your game something so stupid?

>> No.6089453

>>6089443
This is missing the point so hard on retro gaming though.
>The dev had to change x because people complained
Back then, devs released the game and that was that. Not this pandering to people who already bought the game and tweaking things like jump height and movement speed. For what? To satisfy some neckbeard autists? Give me a fucking break.

>> No.6089478

>>6089167
A lot of those people buying that junk are 3rd worlders

>> No.6089493

>>6088781
I'm stuck with a toaster.
Simple as.

>> No.6089510

the newest game I played is probably Dirt Rally

>> No.6089703

i very occasionally play modern games and they always suck major ass

>> No.6089798

>>6088781
there are games back then I just missed out during child hood so I might as well check out the games I missed heck I got some slight old consoles and a computer that can't run those brand new games that are coming out so might as well

>> No.6089805

>>6088781
Micro transactions, DLC - things that otherwise would have been unlocked through normal gameplay. The inability to play some solo games offline, you not owning the games you've bought, etc. I hate modern gaming.

>> No.6089926

>>6088896
>Shovel Knight
Dude... classic games NEVER looked like this. Indie games are a completely different thing. And not in a good way.

>> No.6089992

>>6088781
Youngfag but I got into "retro" relatively early in life and just sort of stopped following contemporary stuff sometime after GTA: San Andreas (the last "new" game I can remember being hyped for and enjoying). Dunno what it was, but the 7th Generation stuff onwards didn’t really pique my interest.

>> No.6090003

>>6088807
This

I can't stand how every modern console has an intrusive as fuck UI. The Switch is better in this regard but after Zelda and Mario I haven't wanted to play anything newer on the thing. Sega's Ages lineup of arcade games is fucking fantastic, but I can still use a wheel and mission stick on my Saturn so it's got the Switch beat when I don't want portability.

>> No.6090008

>>6088896
>Shovel Knight

I was cool with this game until I learned about the richfag who puts in his OC character in all of these Kickstarter games and now I can't stomach it.

>> No.6090023

>>6089926
...but they easily could've. Shovel Knight looks like the type of game that could have existed if the MSX hadn't died out. Like La-Mulana, it does sort of look like a suped-up MSX2 game. You probably would have saw something akin to SK on a TurboR successor.

>> No.6090040

I'm surprised how many people bring up "Shovel Knight is not retro enough because it has prettier graphics and animations than NES could've handled". Not sure if trolling, autistic, or just missing the entire point of it.

>> No.6090174

I usually just play anything up to 2012 and/or freeware & Flash/browser games. As long as it runs on this PC, I'm good. I'm never paying for a modern console or anything on Steam or Itch.io. It's not even worth pirating. The best content has already been made. Keyword being "already"; they can't outdo themselves. There's no point in giving them a dime. I'll just laugh when any of them go out of business or drop out of the industry.
Freeware Jap shitposts make the industry look incompetent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7_tS6OXG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RazJ4EtDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-yv87RCDnA

>> No.6090194

>>6090174
lmao

>> No.6090197

>>6089260
Check out Devil Engine on the Switch (and probably others?), it’s got some genuinely great pixel art

>> No.6090202

>>6089170

yeah well I don't feel like shelling out the cash to just play one fucking game

>> No.6090243

>>6088896
Please never mention a robot named fight ever again. That game is the most, and I use this term unironically, soul-less metroidvania made by a dev that does not at all understand why the genre works.

>> No.6090282

>>6088896
You also have the right to your opinions. Even if that means liking homebrew hipster shit. Even if that means paying for homebrew hipster shit. You also have the right to remain silent. If you don't people will laugh at you for your shit opinions.

>> No.6090289

>>6090202
>Not just emulating it or pirating it

Would make sense that someone who watches let's plays is actually retarded

>> No.6090967

>>6089170
>repeatedly pressing A is better than having someone else do it for you

>> No.6091224

>>6090967
> Only jarpigs exist in the entire universe
Look at this weeb

>> No.6091290

>>6089059
>You probably mean gen X
No, I mean lurk moar.

>> No.6091293

>>6089201
>>6089217
Are you serious though? It boggles my mind there are people who don't immediately read something like >>6089208 as being ignorant retardation.

>> No.6091424

>>6090967
>WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS BUTTONS IN A VIDEO GAME?

Literally sub room temperature IQ I didn't know DSP browser /vr/

>> No.6091542

>>6089431
>>6089443
>>6089446
I see.

>> No.6091596

>>6088781
I play both old and new games, 'retro' or not.

>> No.6091795

>>6090023
>>but they easily could've
yeah but they arent

>> No.6091798

>>6091290
You definitely mean gen X.

>> No.6091801

>>6091290
Not everyone is a room temperature IQ who spouts embarrassing memes.

>> No.6091836

>>6091801
Not everyone is a fresh off the upboat tourist who trashes staple memes they aren't familiar with because "it doesn't make sense".

>> No.6092192
File: 42 KB, 373x518, avernum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
there are only a few companys i follow (from software, larian studios, vanillaware, larian studios, spiderweb software) outside new releases from those guys i dont follow or give a shit about any new game that comes out.

>> No.6092223

New games are pretty much nothing cutscenes and 40 minutes of walking.

>> No.6092389

Because I can shred 3-5 older games in under an hour and can’t do that with new games. I do play call of duty zombies though, I like the fuck you start over aspect of it. Kinda gives me a retro feel when I can’t find a Dukematch to stomp and want to play FPS.

>> No.6092392

>>6092223
This for sure

>> No.6092464

>>6088781

Relevant pic, Hd Remix is the last good SF.

>> No.6092472

>>6088881
Post the damn games ree (please)

>> No.6092489

I mostly play older games because I'm clearly not the target audience for AAA and bad indie games which has been the last 10 years in a nutshell barring a few titles. You really have to be in denial to see how little innovation or quality output there has been compared to the 90s or 00s, I'm not even old but I understand what a good game is, at the very least something that comes out finished, which is ridiculous that this ever became a concern. The economy is bad and nobody wants to take risks, indie developers are the ones that are supposed to save us but they honestly can't compete with the kind of production quality a legitimate audio would have making a low-mid budget game. I don't know what people are trying to prove by defending the scraps they've been getting thrown

>> No.6092494

>>6089247
>Savestates
>Ooh you're one of those people
Yea because wasting time redoing braindead levels you've done dozens of times is so engaging and not a complete waste of time

>> No.6092504

>>6092464
What's wrong with SFIV?

>> No.6092514

>>6090243
Gut any criticism beyond meaningless buzzwords?

>> No.6092569

>>6092504

I learned to like SF4, but so many flaws are inherent to the game. FADC, Ultras, unlockables. The freedom of expression and roster balance are impressive in Ultra, I'll admit, but HDR is quite nearly divine.

>> No.6092582

>>6092494
Do you think that video games would be better off without having consequences for failing?

>> No.6092695

>>6092389
Zombies is definitely an arcade game. I will regard Black Ops 1 & 2 highly for no other reason but that they have that mode.

>> No.6092698

>>6092489
Name your Top 5 phenomenal / groundbreaking 5th and 6th gen games that haven't had proper successors since.

>> No.6092746

>>6092698
Lol? Kinda just proved my point. Nobody wants to make anything new so they go back to when innovation was a thing in the industry and modernize it because it's safe. Gee, I sure love having gay finisher moves in my Doom. And that was actually one of the only half decent ones too. Phenomenal and groundbreaking is only taking those periods as a whole. There is no need to choose this or that, and it wouldn't even be possible because of the volume. It's only when you get to present time that you have to think long and hard about this game or that to justify this zombie of an industry, I still don't understand what you are trying to do

>> No.6092762
File: 7 KB, 256x224, Cosmo-Gang-The-Video.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089054
>>6092472
They're not games I'd recommend to everyone I just have a habit of sticking to them.

- money idol exchanger
- warriors of Fate
- Batsugun
- Lode Runner III
- Cosmo Gang the video

>> No.6092764

>>6092746
>Lol? Kinda just proved my point.
No, you naming stuff that actually was innovative yet never followed up would prove your point.
>I still don't understand what you are trying to do
I'm trying to suss out what you actually have in mind. Sure, you can correctly diagnose a problem, but you could be way off base with what your proposed solutions are or where exactly things went wrong.

>> No.6092787

>>6092762
Thanks for sharing, anon. I feel like reading that list was almost uncomfortably intimate so I felt obligated to say thanks. You spilled your gaming heart out too us.

>> No.6093272

>>6088781
nowadays I mostly play gameplay focused games, so yes. Fighting games, STGs and dungeon crawlers along with roguelikes are actual retro, regardless of release date. If you mean "retro" as defined on this board and nowhere else, then no, that would be retarded. As someone who grew up with NES and Genesis, I don't see why would I restrict myself to these when technology marched on.

>> No.6093862

>>6092582
There are consequences. Being kicked back to beginning of the level. I'm not suggesting savestates every 5 steps. But repeating levels 1,2,3 and 4 over and over because level 5 kills you constantly is not fun or engaging. More fun to just keep doing 5.

>> No.6093908

>>6092695
Yeah that’s how I’ve always loved zombies and don’t even touch multiplayer or campaign. It’s one of the only modern games that feels retro to me so it can’t just be nostalgia goggles on graphics. I’m old as shit. Simple and can jump in and play quick, round based, skill ceiling shits on multiplayer. One of the only games post 2000 I will play forever

>> No.6093914

>are there people on 4chan who only play fornite and minecraft?

>> No.6093916

>>6088781
I only play
1.retro games
2.modern games that lack dlc/microtransactions (so just a few indoe games really)

>> No.6094024

>>6088781
Mostly. Backlog.

>> No.6094603
File: 290 KB, 1064x799, mvc-hiddenchars.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
Not solely, but a majority. Partly to catch up on games I missed out on growing up, but also because I genuinely enjoy the aesthetic of older games. Plus there's an element of surprise that I find sorely lacking in modern titles. Passwords, secret characters, bonus stages, extra content in general that you don't have to pay for. Things that add a bonus bit of fun and not only reward you for playing, but make you want to keep coming back.

>> No.6094692

>>6090289

ah yes I didn't realize you could emulate PS4 games

>> No.6094815

>>6093908
You gotta admit though its idea of difficulty being endless HP bloat was a massive mistake.
And being confined to consoles also meant the hordes weren't as big as they should have been, which you notice on large maps like Ascension, which that PS4 zombie game shows.

>> No.6094889

>>6092762
>warriors of fate
>batsugun
>lode runner III
all quality titles ive spent decent time on myself anon. I'll check out cosmo gang and money idol exchanger later today when I have some spare time. Thanks for sharing

>> No.6094968

>>6088781
They take less time in all fronts. I mean, you can download a complete library in 1/4 the time as a single modern game. Also I can just use my computer. In fact, every single metric of time is better spent on retro games.

Also I'm a poorfag.

>> No.6094981

I hop back and forth between new and old stuff a lot, so I'll work through my backlog of PC/PS1 classics I haven't played yet but if something catches my attention then I'll play that.

>> No.6095005

>>6090174
>The best content has already been made.
The last 10-20 years has been a total dead zone for basically everything and all media.

>> No.6095013

>>6094692
You can emulate bloodborne and God of war right now

>> No.6095029

>>6093916
I can accept "expansion pack" style DLC, that's a one time purchase of a pack of content. But otherwise, I agree with you.

>> No.6095048

I do own a PS3 with a modest stack of games but don't really touch it all that much, I'm mainly between gen 4 and 5 these days. I'd have to say the last time I played something newer than 2000 was 5 or 6 months ago.

>> No.6095538
File: 63 KB, 1080x607, FB_IMG_1577266899181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
>ONLY
Not me, but I've started picking up retro games lately because they're easy to set up on Linux and Retro Arch is really comfortable to use.
If I can add something to what >>6088896 said, there are some good retro-looking games for the Switch. I've got One Strike (pic) recently and it's something that retro fags might enjoy.

>> No.6095846
File: 703 KB, 650x400, nowyerpissinmeoff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089089
Hardcore NES fan, have beaten all 'Vanias all Ninja Gaidens all Mega Mans, Zelda II, Contra without the code, and Ghosts and Goblins.

You are 180 degrees from right. Shovel Knight is fucking awesome and would have been damn near the best game on NES if it came out at that time.

>> No.6095849
File: 29 KB, 323x433, 4424F2FC-C911-4065-A255-0C9CC1ED2E86.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088817
>>6088818

>> No.6095871

>>6095849
>coomer bait

>> No.6095881

>>6095871
You obviously haven’t played the game. Also nothing with some phat robot ass

>> No.6096000

>>6095846
dont seems like it. shovel knight gameplay is fun and all, but the game is so fuckin easy that it gets annoying.
i think anyone that go for those hard/challenging games would get bored with something so easy.

>> No.6096017

>>6095005
Music is still fine because low barrier to entry

>> No.6096049

>>6089247
>Savestates
Try to play Musha Aleste without it

>> No.6096116

>>6088781
I enjoy retro and play it mostly because its easy to jump in, play for 10 - 15 minutes and get back to whatever it is I need to do. I emulate, I'm old have a demanding job and a wife and kid. I do enjoy modern games, and games I haven't played before, so I leave that for the weekends. I really only stick to Nintendo casual games now though, played way too much CS and TFC in high school online FPS just doesn't appeal to me at all anymore, except I really liked splatoon. If I get a big chunk of time on the weekends to play vidya, it's usually Dorf Fort and it usually has been so long I can't even remember what I was doing before my last save. Actually thinking about just becoming one of those DF story guys just so I can be up to speed on my next boot.

>> No.6096131

>>6096116
What sort of hell do you live in where you are forced to only play 10mins at a time? How can I get gud at any game? Why don't u learn to make more time for yourself? You people really irritate me.

>> No.6096205

>>6096131
I make time to have a career, I make time for my family, I make time to exercise every day, I make time to cook most of my meals. I make time to mow the lawn and keep my house clean. I'm not trying to ridicule you or anything, we're all here because we love video games, but I'm not going to place their priority over any of the other things I mentioned in the beginning.

>> No.6096350

>>6096205
>i only get 10 minute breaks working as a maid

>> No.6096363

>>6096205
I do all that and have a couple hours a day for playing the zither or gaming, depending how I feel. I probably squat more than you (450x5) and have a bigger incoming. Seriously you irritate me. If you can't do something properly don't do it at all. You're half assing it. You do things without any commitment.
Imagine picking up the piano and only giving it 10 or 20mins a day...the fuck outta here poser. Your opinions are worthless.

>> No.6096463

>>6096350

Not him but

>I can’t comprehend people putting anything, anything at all, before videogames

>> No.6096464

>>6096363
>You must COMMIT to videogames

>> No.6096479

>>6088781
90% of what I play is retro but it's mostly because I moved to a different country so I couldn't bring my desktop, just my toaster laptop and I don't really care enough about most modern games to buy a new rig.
Doom, Quake and emulation have been more than enough for me to find new and fun experiences constantly. There's so many games to play from previous generations.

>> No.6096482

>>6089134
Much preferred Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, actually developed by someone who knows what they're doing.

>> No.6096662
File: 982 KB, 390x259, 1375360591164.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089134
>Only plays old NES games
>it played to me like a regular NES game, nothing special.

>> No.6096709
File: 92 KB, 640x1136, 4AC0F93B-5DD5-4B46-87D8-06898BC419E2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
Because modern 16:9 games tend to look like shit on my monitor

>> No.6096767

Because I hate realistic graphics.

>> No.6096780

>>6088781
I play mostly retro.

I also play indie games - but mostly those that are inspired by/derivatives/styled of retro games.

Dunno. I feel modern shit lacks soul. Don't feel fun to play.

>> No.6096782

>>6092762
>warriors of Fate
Never played that version. Know it as Sangokushi II. Played it all that time in arcades with my brother back in the day, had a lot of laughs chopping people in half or turning them into meat bits. Great game.

>> No.6096828

>>6088781
Retro games on average are more
>concise
>creative
>challenging
>charismatic (artstyle before graphical fidelity)
>cheap (download more games that you'll play in your lifetime from a torrent in an hour)

>> No.6096830

>>6088781
If I wanted to watch movies I'd go to the damn theater.

>> No.6096842
File: 360 KB, 720x1280, Screenshot_20181115-060506_Chrome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>modern vidya

>> No.6096847

>>6096842
Also the "We don't use the word 'fun' at Naughty Dog" one.

>> No.6097025

>>6089189

Right there with you. I've got nothing against new games, but most of them are heavily online multiplayer focused, and if not, heavily story focused. Is 50 hours of content necessarily good? Definitely not. A good game is fun no matter how many times you replay it. Because of space and computer limitations, most retro games had to be based around this principle.

>> No.6097029

>>6089247

Depends on what you mean. The old SNES Final Fantasies were all around 18-25 hours.

>> No.6097038

>>6097029
That's about as long as I can tolerate for a story-driven game. I remember more about CT than I do for many games twice as long.

>> No.6097050

>>6096847
>We don't use the word 'fun' at Naughty Dog
We don't use it here at 4channel either, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

>> No.6097067

>>6097038
That's because longer JRPGs have the exact same amount of depth and character development as ~20 hour SNES games, just stretched to 3 times the length using filler.

>> No.6097073

>>6088781
I don't only play Retro, but I feel more and more that I'll end up in that category. Modern games get more and more casualized each year and just something about the art styles in a lot of games really pisses me off. I don't know what exactly it is but look at Apex Legends, and The Old Republic and you might get what I mean. Two totally different genres and settings and developers, yet they have some insufferable element to them. Maybe overdesigned is what I'm looking at? I don't like overly simplistic shit either. I dunno something about this decade's art direction has just totally alienated me, especially with AAA.

>> No.6097085

>>6097073
I know what you mean. Outward is the only single-player modern title on PC which feels tolerable to me. There are some good games on the Switch, but yeah, I've come back to retro games lately and I don't regret this decision.

>> No.6097162

I played most of the retro games when they were new and relevant, and now I only go back for nostalgia. I replay the favorites and I dont consider myself to have a backlog as I am confident I played the majority of games worth playing from the 8bit and 16 bit era (maybe missed some tg16 titles but I dont mind).

I did a shining force 2 playthrough a few weeks back, but the other night I played through untitled goose game and cuphead. Still working though code vein in spare time as well. I even allow myself one or two gacha games as well (epic 7 is excellent).

>> No.6097234

>>6096463
>Not him but
It would be less cringe if you were.

>> No.6097253

>>6097234
>cringe
>based
>dilate

What ever happened to /vr/? I leave for like a year and this place turns into /v/ 2.0

>> No.6097264

>>6096049
>Admits he's bad

Lmao nice

>> No.6097467

>>6097253
/vr/ has been shit since quite a few summers ago. You weren't here a year ago if you think this is something new.

>> No.6097954

>>6095871
Honestly crap robots were more attaching to the players than those waifu androids, the fact they are doing the same errors than humans or try to mimic them can really touch the player.

Btw 2B ass probably baited some retards for sure, but that’s stupid to blame that game only for that reason.

The game also got really bad sides but the good ones overall it. The main problem is that game is too easy in normal but on hard it’s too fucking hard, also you can swap difficulty whenever you want so that made that challenge a bit pointless in my eyes especially if you aren’t unlocking anything. But in other hand try to listen to some of the OST, it’s so good and it’s even better in game because tracks are swapping.

>> No.6098168

>>6088781
holy crap, Ryu was DYEL back then. Does anyone actually prefer the retro design?

>> No.6098191

>>6088781
>>6088807
What this guy said, plus I don't want to buy a new computer/console every two year

>> No.6098354

>>6090008
Wait until you learn how they gave people a gender bender option for inclusivity. Imagine being so insecure you gotta pander to made up genders to sell copies.

>> No.6098387

>>6089247
>What? Most JRPGs nowadays aren't as long as retro JRPGs
Modern jrpgs are way longer but that's mostly due to cutscenes.

>> No.6098404

>>6098354
That's the problem these days, they're obsessed with making games inclusive that appeal to everyone. Only problem is the complete and utter blandness that results from this approach.

>> No.6099503

>>6096363
Maybe he doesnt ignore his family like you do

>> No.6099539
File: 1.97 MB, 1412x760, 1542181991654.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
Modern games are boring. They're too easy, and almost every thing is a linear action fps or ots shooter. It gets boring when everything feels and plays the same.

>> No.6100031

>>6099539
>They're too easy
You mean "too fair", except that fair means "braindead repetitive A.I. with telegraphed attacks and frame data that are inferior to the player character so that I can feel empowered for winning".

>> No.6100045
File: 103 KB, 1280x960, maxresdefault-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
I'm almost totally a retro gamer now. Why? Modern day games are basically a scam. They double dip, triple dip, do their best to get you to sign up to some subscription service, or have microtransactions. Modern games are trash, almost universally, and I refuse to reward that behavior, it also makes the game no fun. I never feel like $60 gets me the full game anymore, because it straight up doesn't.

I was playing the original Driver a few days back, and that takes place in three different cities. If this was a modern game, only one city would be on the disc. The other two cities would be pricey DLC. Then the car would have different colour skins for sale of course, and some kind of easy pack would be there for casuals that just unlocks everything in the game without actually playing it.

The game as is back then though. It has everything. I miss nothing. And it's a great game too. Fuckin' love Driver

>> No.6100046

>>6100045
>takes place in three different cities
4 actually. My bad

>> No.6100052
File: 2.81 MB, 426x214, Confused_Marty.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6100031
>I can feel empowered for winning
How would you feel that, if there was no resistance?

>> No.6100069

better question - why doesn't the video game industry make more games that overlap with my tastes, which haven't really evolved all that much in 30 years? it wouldn't be difficult since you have 30 years of reference material to go by.

>> No.6100320

>>6100069
because nobody cares about you

>> No.6100805

>>6088896
Just bought ARNF last night. Thanks for the recommendation, its pretty good so far.

>> No.6100905

>>6088781
I'm a poor nostalgiafag too depressed to bother playing the few Xbox 360 games I have. And I never bothered to buy the newer consoles either.
I was also never a fan of shooters or battle royale games. I prefer games where the meat of it is single-player, not co-op.

>> No.6100936

>>6100052
You've got it backwards. Only the weak struggle. If you're powerful you don't feel resistance. You only hear the bones of your enemies snapping.

>> No.6101176

>>6088781
Mostly due to convenience. If I for some ungodly reason want to try a modern game, I have to download 100GB of pure shit, run it for 4 hours and then never touch it again. With retro games I can download 10GB of ROMs and never have enough time to play all of them. Graphical fidelity is a fucking meme.

>> No.6101179

>>6088914
They're better than during gen 1 and 2, that's for sure. I double-nigger dare you to spend a year only playing atari 2600 and colecovision games for a year and not blow your fucking brains out.

>> No.6101181

>>6088997
I blame Square squarely for this. FMV in games was a fucking rabies infection.

>> No.6101662

>>6096709
do you know that you can use the windows small task bar buttons, enable firefox's compact density remove the flexible spaces and hide de search box to make the most of that screen space?

>> No.6102094

>>6101181
Also the trend to have skill trees in everything. EVERYTHING has fucking XP and "LEVEL UP" mechanics nowadays and it's pissing me off so much because you always start out without your entire move set and abilities, so you don't get to familiarize yourself with your strongest attacks until the end part of the game and even worse, once you unlocked everything and are at your full capability, the game is already almost over and you don't get to play in that state very long.

Older action games gave you all your attacks from the start but they had limited use so you couldn't spam them. But you could get good with them, learn when to use them and improve by becoming better at the game, instead of leveling up your character without learning anything except how to farm XP points. But I don't see it changing back to how it used to be. Normalfags love a sense of progression without having to actually get better at something. The wider audience is what killed quality in videogames.

The masses are stupid, lazy fucking retards. As soon as the masses become interested in something and become the biggest consumer group of something, that something loses quality fast because quality isn't popular with the masses. It's only a small fraction of people that enjoy spending time with a difficult game and mastering it. The only reason it used to be the norm was because of arcades that incentivized making games difficult in order to extract more money, then difficulty was carried over to consoles as part of gaming culture but nowadays those old influences are almost completely gone.

That's why old games are better.

>> No.6102131

>>6088781
Pretty much, and just for the nostalgia. I grew up with those games, happy times.

>> No.6102194
File: 238 KB, 616x914, 2010s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088781
there were only four games worth playing in the last decade, and I ran out of good 00 games, so retro it is.