[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 503 KB, 976x1112, Ff8-rinoa2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6088743 No.6088743[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Rinoa WAS Ultimecia, we know this now after all this time

>> No.6088845
File: 112 KB, 320x240, Final Fantasy VIII (Disc 1).bin.2019_05_28_05_06_13.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6088743
>>6088743
its technically not canonical for rinoa to be ultimecia

still a brutal ending
head canon is they all left without becoming close friends & the universe was safer/better off without them being together

the path alone is without conflict but a million timelines repeat loop and overlap because soulmates will always keep trying to find each other

>> No.6089009

>>6088743
Begone. This is a Quitis board

>> No.6089129

>>6089009
>Quitis
great argument wtf im a retard now

>>6088845
*farts*
this post is barely more coherent than the other. is this the absolute state of anti R=U mouthbreathers?

>> No.6089365
File: 29 KB, 800x600, space2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FFVIII is unironically the best FF game. People who dislike FFVIII simply lack the IQ to properly comprehend both the mechanics of the game and the story. I feel sorry for them.

>> No.6089470
File: 69 KB, 320x240, Final Fantasy VIII (Disc 1).bin.2019_05_28_05_05_52.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089129
u do realize the actual game devs debunked the R=U theory many times publicly

>> No.6089509

>>6089470
Post link to interview where this has been "debunked"

>> No.6089527

Ul-tah-me-see-ah
OR
Ul-tah-me-sha?

>> No.6089607

>>6089365
Never underestimate the pretentiousness of an ff8fag

>> No.6089637

>>6088743
>>6089470

>>6089509
Yoshinori Kitase, on the theory that Final Fantasy VIII’s Rinoa is really Ultimecia:

“No, that is not true,” Kitase said. “I don’t think I’ll incorporate that even if we do remake the game. But that being said, both Rinoa and Ultimecia are witches, so in that sense they are similar, but they’re not the same person.”

https://kotaku.com/is-squall-really-dead-final-fantasy-producer-addresses-1800007113

>> No.6089645

>>6089637
This doesn't disprove it. It just means that in a remake, which isn't happening anyway, the devs wouldn't spell it out. Anyway, this is just like the FFVII sequels: Just because they amend the original's canon later doesn't mean it's true in the context of the actual original game.

No one cares what some literally who speculated about doing in a nonexistent remake of a game that will never happen anyway.

True brianlet take here. Go back to /v/.com/forums

>> No.6089689

>>6089009
This. Q=U 4 lyfe.

>> No.6089986
File: 101 KB, 320x240, Final Fantasy VIII (Disc 1).bin.2019_05_28_05_06_21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089645
>>6089645
your own autistic headcannon is allowed
but it will never be the truth no matter how much you sperg on 4chan

>> No.6090001
File: 79 KB, 786x377, z=u.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of the better, most effective satires I've seen on this board.

>> No.6090005

>>6089986
It's clearly written into the plot.

>> No.6090028

>>6089986
fuck you

>> No.6090056

>>6089645
This

>> No.6090068

"Headcanon" and "fan theories" are Cringe Level Midnight, some of the most embarrassing stuff on the internet. It's fine to chase threads in your own mind, but putting that much time and effort into developing a framework and pushing them as hard as some people do is pathetic. That is, unless the person has a clear sense of humor about it and/or the logic actually fits, like with the Jar Jar villain theory, and even then it's only good for comedy, it's not worth actually discussing with your peers.

>> No.6090071

>>6090001

honestly more sensible than ops idea

>> No.6090073

>>6090068
>do NOT talk about things I don't like, please
I am going to have sex with you bro

>> No.6090097

>>6090068
How would you like to have a real life cock in your ass for your terrible opinion

>> No.6090118

Honestly can anyone point out one thing inconsistent or that seems lile a stretch about r=u? It's always just a reference to that interview to shut down discussion. But what of the theory itself?

>> No.6090137

>>6089986
/thread

>> No.6090139

Just read the theory for the first time. I'm convinced. Memers fuck off.

>> No.6090147
File: 85 KB, 900x600, dc_gackt_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who cares, Gackt fucked Rinoa's tight ass and you can't do nothing about that.

>> No.6090148

>>6089986
Kys

>> No.6090173

>>6090118
>"look guys, I know we have no real hard evidence, and I know developers flat out said no, but you can't disprove it!"
Cope, may as well make up whatever the fuck you want like >>6090001 image, he put as much effort into that, why dont you disprove him?

>> No.6090178

>>6090173
Wow that's a lot of rhetorical fallacies and misdirection to avoid the question

Cuck

>> No.6090191

>>6090118
We do it all the time, we just get ignored.

The Griever thing is a solid, airtight refute. This plot point is misinterpreted as Griever being something Ultimecia crafted herself and is tied to emotionally when it's actually Ultimecia literally using "Draw" on Squall. Squall thinks of Griever as the most powerful thing he can imagine, so she abuses this. This is more apparent in the Japanese version.

Next, it relies largely on assumptions about what happens after the end of the game. Like, "Uh, what if Rinoa just randomly doesn't pass on her powers once it's time and just hangs out in limbo, or she gets life-extending treatments, or cryogenically frozen?" So nothing about the game suggests that this will happen to Rinoa, and no one in the theory's camp thinks there is either, it's just a "what if." I can just as easily say, "What if Rinoa gets crushed by a boulder immediately after the end credits?"

Then you have to build on it by saying "Over time, she grows jaded, or amnesiac, or InSaNe," and "compresses time either to go back to a better time, or to fix time, or she's not really evil at all, or something." So nobody in this camp actually can even form a coherent sequence of events, nor is there a standard, it's just one nebulous choose-your-own-story. Nobody ever made a true outline of this, it's just a theory that gets passed around and each idiot provides their own "flavors" and "toppings" to it.

Finally, each individual cited piece of dialogue is just the result of confirmation bias. Notwithstanding that these dialogues are likely victim to the same translation weirdness as the Griever part. Ultimecia's dying monologue? Same shit every villain says in a moment of clarity at the end of a JRPG.

>> No.6090206

>>6088743
Who fucking cares about the worst entry in the PS1 FF's? and at the time probably the worst FF period?

The original concept and plotting was bounced between 4 or 5 different people before they finally decided who should claim to be the lead writer and it shows with like 75% of the story making no sense when it's examined properly.

You're almost always unsure what every character's motivation is at any given point or why they're preforming the actions they are. The game just becomes a slideshow of pretty pre-rendered vids and simplistic battles.

If you like FF8 because of the Gunblades fine but you're no different than the tards who like Star Wars because of the lightsabers.

>> No.6090207

>>6090191
I think the biggest detraction for r=u is just that Squall's dead is way more interesting and plausible as an unspoken canon that the writers couldn't publicize because of their limited control over their own projects

especially after the end of FFXV is basically an even heavier brain fuck and tetsuya nomura has specifically confirmed that Noctis is neither dead or alive for the rest of eternity

>> No.6090212

>>6090206
FF3 was the worst FF back then but that's only because all the other ones are good.

Really only 13 is actually explicitly bad and even then it's an incredibly aesthetic rollercoaster ride, world's slipperiest gloves notwithstanding

for real anyone who dislikes FFX or FF8 is probably just a cuck

>> No.6090231

>>6090212
>FF3 was the worst FF back then
Soo you're Japanese then? Cause "back then" you wouldn't have played FF3, moron.

>Only bad FF is XIII...
This is /vr/ not /v/, but I agree that it was a bad game. Why it was bad is a study all in itself there.

>...anyone who dislikes FFX or FF8 is probably just a cuck
Two of the worst written games where advancing the story is half of the reward for playing.

I don't understand how pointing out illogical plot holes in these video games (like Yu Yevon and Sin or the whole of Zanarkand having magic dreams for some reason or Ultimecia wanting to destroy both the past and the future but the main characters are talking about it in the past and thus they must ultimately win against her) makes me a cuck, but what do I know?

>> No.6090237

>>6089527
The former

>> No.6090247

>>6090231
nigga back then I was in elementary school spending most my time blowing off class to chill out playing gundam wing endless duel in the computer lab

I could brute force play whatever nihongo the fuck i wanted if i could get the rom for it, and everyone knew about japanese FFs that didn't make it over because magazines told you what you were missing

>> No.6090253

>>6090231
>Two of the worst written games
shit lad you gotta go back and take a second look with the eyes of an adult, Final Fantasy is basically our modern shakespeare whether you like it or not.

>> No.6090265

>>6090247
>lulz I don't remember a time when these things were new, old man.

>I was in elementary school spending most my time blowing off class...
If you stayed in class you might have learnt how to spell nigger correctly.

>...play whatever nihongo the fuck i wanted if i could get the rom for it...
Maybe now you can, child, however "back then" even if you could rip the Japanese cart you'd need to be able to read moon runes.

>...everyone knew about japanese FFs that didn't make it over because magazines told you what you were missing.
So my original point still stands? You couldn't have/didn't play FFIII to know it was the "worst one". Unless you read Edge or Code Masters magazine and assumed that if they said they were bad then they must be bad?

>> No.6090269

>>6090253
>Final Fantasy is basically our modern shakespeare whether you like it or not.
Right ... cause Shakespeare never ever wrote a bad play.

>> No.6090293

>>6090191
>Next, it relies largely on assumptions about what happens after the end of the game. Like, "Uh, what if Rinoa just randomly doesn't pass on her powers once it's time and just hangs out in limbo, or she gets life-extending treatments, or cryogenically frozen?" So nothing about the game suggests that this will happen to Rinoa, and no one in the theory's camp thinks there is either, it's just a "what if." I can just as easily say, "What if Rinoa gets crushed by a boulder immediately after the end credits?"
Wow strawman much

>> No.6090305

>>6090265
>If you stayed in class you might have learnt how to spell nigger correctly.
why the fuck would I ever use a racially derogatory term when the actual problem is islam, an ideology that has nothing to do with race?

>> No.6090309

>>6090269
yet unlike you even his failures were commercially successful
>>6090265
>Maybe now you can, child, however "back then" even if you could rip the Japanese cart you'd need to be able to read moon runes.
nani the fuck? you don't need to be able to read moon to brute force your way through a videogame. if you've never done this then you've cheated yourself out of personal growth.

>> No.6090310

>>6090293
lol, there's nothing to "strawman." R=U theorists can't even agree on the details of this theory, so there's nothing for me to misrepresent. There are a few different Geocities-quality pages with outlines of the theory, all of which are different or have multiple possibilities for each point like I asserted.

If I made all of you try to summarize the theory's points without looking at each other's answers, you'd all come up with different shit because it's just a nebulous idea that nobody's taken Occam's razor to, nor checked their bias in any way, shape, or form.

>> No.6090320

>>6090309
but we're talking about how good the story was not how ... eh I'm done. You can pretend your micro penis is a mile long slong or whatever I'm going to bed.

>> No.6090324

>>6090310
have you considered that you're the only person who takes this seriously and that already makes you a clown

nobody is going to waste their effort on a clown

>> No.6090326

>>6090320
The narrative of a videogame is not a separate entity from the experience of playing it, they're the same thing.

>> No.6090335

>>6090310
>Occam's razor
Oops you accidentally outed yourself as a retard by referencing one of the most idiotic, brainlet tier "concepts" of all time.

I'll be sure to disregard you from here on out.

>> No.6090342

>>6090324
If people make entire webpages about this theory, pages and pages of threads from the last 20 years up until the very moment this thread was made, I'm not the one taking it too seriously.

The truth is that there just isn't a solid foundation for this. That's why you're not going to "waste your effort," as if you're "taking the high road." You just got in over your head.

>>6090335
Here, I'll give you an easy one by making a spelling error in this next sentence. Now yuo can disregard this post for a petty reason, too. This guy can't even spell, opinion discarded! Epic win! EPIC WIN!

>> No.6090350

>>6090342
>Now yuo can disregard this post for a petty reason, too.
Tough luck pal. A grammatical error isn't the same as actually being impressed by a low concept like Occam's Razor.

>> No.6090356

>>6090350
You don't have a philosophical issue with the concept, you just saw it being used once in a screenshot from Twitter of some insufferable-looking man-baby's political spew and decided you dislike it on principle.

>> No.6090370

>>6090342
>If people make entire webpages about this theory, pages and pages of threads from the last 20 years up until the very moment this thread was made, I'm not the one taking it too seriously.
have you considered that they might be having fun rather than trying to prove their intelligence or do anything so insecure as seek approval or validation

like, I'll tell you, cuckpants, I personally find such a thing to be completely disgusting and am actively repulsed when people try to give me permission to be elevated or gratify me. I have real shit to worry about like the future of our children. I don't need to be patted on the bottom by my peers or fed chocolate from the hand of the rich and powerful.

I already AM powerful, because my actions disregard your opinion of them and respond only to the truth of cause and effect.

you on the other hand are so twisted up by what others think and by the concept of needing to prove yourself as valid and worthy of recognition that you yourself can't even recognize when someone is arguing against the concept and motivation of your actions rather than bothering to confront your argument itself which is waged against an opponent who left long ago and never came to listen to you in the first place.

r=u is as valid as squall's dead is as valid as literally any horse shit interpretation of the game because the personal narrative of the player IS literally ACTUALLY the narrative of the game when that person was playing it and there is no objective truth in fiction, and this is never more explicit than when the "canon" is just whatever dumb shit the money men think is the safest bet to land on.

>> No.6090381 [DELETED] 

>>6090370
When did I say people can't privately believe what they want to believe? >>6090118 directly challenged the thread to do what I did by addressing the points of the theory. My only motivation was to take the challenge. Whether or not these people who wanted an intellectual discourse about it is rather pointless to discuss as we are posting on an anonymous image board.

I don't care for the rest of your self-indulgent prattle. Believe what you want to believe. Just don't make it out like the thread started out as a "Just for Fun Theories Extravaganza!" and some curmudgeon just started fuming.

>> No.6090386

>>6090370
When did I say people can't privately believe what they want to believe? >>6090118 directly challenged the thread to do what I did by addressing the points of the theory. My only motivation was to take the challenge. Whether or not these people who wanted an intellectual discourse about it are still here is rather pointless to discuss as we are posting on an anonymous image board.

I don't care for the rest of your self-indulgent prattle. Believe what you want to believe. Just don't make it out like the thread started out as a "Just for Fun Theories Extravaganza!" and some curmudgeon just started fuming.

>> No.6090393

>>6090386
>My only motivation was to take the challenge
more like you took the obvious bait and OP's cock in your ass

>> No.6090409

>>6090393
Fuck, I've been epic trolled!

>> No.6090416

>>6090356
Actually you know what's crazy? You made that entire post up. It's all bullshit you just invented so you could have something to say. Fucking creepy if you think about it.

>> No.6090417

>>6090386
Congrats you're a fucking idiot, like everyone who denies R=U

>> No.6090426

>>6090416
You mean like this theory?

>>6090417
Pathetic.

>> No.6090439
File: 52 KB, 320x240, Final Fantasy VIII (Disc 1).bin.2019_05_28_05_05_47.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

op is confirmed very mad

>> No.6090470

>>6090426
Have sex

>> No.6090538

>>6090470
So I accomplished a moderate personal goal today that wasn’t expected to work out, which my wife was pretty excited about. After reading your post I promptly went upstairs and, still teeming with Big Dick Energy, promptly exercised my will to hump the shit out of her. She was complicit with this knowing full well that I shitpost on 4chan. As it turns out, sexual intercourse does not alter personality unless you didn’t have one to begin with.

>> No.6090624

>>6090538
>As it turns out, sexual intercourse does not alter personality unless you didn’t have one to begin with.
fucking destroyed

>> No.6090629

>>6090624
>>6090538
Well this all got very cringe, very fast

>> No.6090631

>>6090629
>marital sex with a faithful and devoted partner
>cringe
did you high five your imam after he "inspected your fiance's virginity"

>> No.6090639
File: 130 KB, 800x1065, 800px-Square-enix_dissidia_yoshinori-kitase.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6089637
Do you know who Yoshinori Kitase is? He leaded direction on Final Fantasy VIII. You talk about him like he's some rando speculating a remake. His mentioning of the remake is incidental to his point.

>> No.6090643

>>6090639
Ok well did he write the script? If not, then you absolutely NEED to dilate

>> No.6090651

>>6090629
The only cringe here is the have sex meme, which was worn out from day one. Let me tell you something, it was a weird feeling growing up being the only person who didn’t tie his self-worth to sex and watching people try to drag me down with this factor that I just didn’t give a fuck about. Now that I’m married to someone who’s almost 40 and still somehow has perfect skin and I get to plow her virtually at will, I can say that while it is a nice luxury, it has not afforded me any superpowers or direct benefits. I still can just as easily can sit in the basement and jerk off to something depraved and feel roughly the same level of fulfillment — well, that is, on top of the persistent fog of ennui and existential dread that only death can dispel.

My advice is not to have sex but to learn something new or hone a new skill; this is the only thing that gives me something resembling satisfaction or fulfillment on a personal level.

>> No.6090652

>>6090651
didn't read. dilate.

>> No.6090660

>>6090652
you did read it, though

>> No.6090663

>>6090643
It's a very safe assumption that Yoshinori Kitase worked closely with script writer Kazushige Nojima, understanding his intentions for the events, dialogue and characters and giving the final OK on the script and finalizing all decisions for how the script would be brought to life throughout the development of the game itself. For the sake of my sanity I'm just leaving this thread now because you're here more out of a desire to feel righteous and get angry at strangers than you actually care about what's right or wrong concerning the game.

>> No.6090693

Man I'm a tourist from another shit board but after reading this thread I can't believe it even fucking exists.

>> No.6090714

>>6090693
>post count didn't go up
>ass pained r=u denier can't help himself

absolutely hilarious.

>> No.6090914

>>6090212
FF3 is great faggot. Doubt you played the NES original and just played the janky DS remake.

>> No.6091286

>>6088743
>Rinoa WAS Ultimecia, we know this now after all this time

The writer deubked that theory

>> No.6091406

>>6089365
Based

>> No.6091662

you guys gotta figure out whether having sex or not having sex is unfavorable, it can’t be both

>> No.6092006

>>6091662
Dilate

>> No.6092640

Bump for my night crew r equals u squad

>> No.6092908
File: 25 KB, 450x451, 1144227131913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>talking for R=U in 2019
Stop trying to force your autistic fan-fiction to others. Look, you guys REALLY need to let this thing go, I mean we have already wasted more than a decade talking about this bullshit. The fact is that Ultimecia is Rinoa's foil in similar manner Seifer is to Squall and that is all there is to it no matter how much you try to grasp straws towards your precious headcannon.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/34215
Go to above link, ctrl+f [UR1] and read the full analysis there. It is written by the exact same people who originally came up/popularized the theory in early 2000s so does it give the theory more than a fair shake but eventually comes to the conclusion that none of it holds up in the end.

Also here is a link to an interview where Kitase the director of FFVIII denies the theory:
http://kotaku.com/is-squall-really-dead-final-fantasy-producer-addresses-1800007113

tl;dr: When both the people who came up with the theory and the story director of the actual game say that Rinoa isn't Ultimecia that should be the end of discussion.

>> No.6092915

>>6088743
i thought /vr/ proved, with conclusive evidence, that Quistis = Ultimecia? in a thread some months ago.

>> No.6092958

>>6092908
Ah, ad hominem and appeal to authority. Very based non arguments.

>> No.6093035

Fujin is Ultimecia. She talks funny and has an eye patch to cover her witch's eye.

>> No.6093119 [SPOILER] 
File: 69 KB, 381x582, 1577284607805.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You fools! All your _____ is Ultimecia theories are wrong:
Ultimecia is actually a cheeseburger and she wanted to compress time to prevent herself from rotting, growing mold, or any other such things that happen to uneaten cheeseburgers which are subject to the passage of time. And of course, she'd want to get rid of all other beings in the universe seeing as they could potentially eat her.

This is the truth and there is nothing anyone can say to PROVE ME WRONG. Obviously you can try but it really is pointless as there aren't any in-game contradictions to this and even if someone were able to find one I'm just going to keep ignoring it just like the supporters of R=U theory have done with anything that goes against their headcanon.

>> No.6093151

>>6093119
Cringe

>> No.6093153

I'm curious can anyone name one thing in ffviii that does actually contradict r equals u? If it weren't true surely the game would point this out at SOME point? No?

>> No.6093156

>>6093119
Listen, pal, no one has presented anything close to a coherent argument against R=U. I mean, after I hid like 20 damning posts, this theory is absolutely spotless.

>> No.6093173

>>6093156
Sum it up for me in three sentences then big stud nigger

>> No.6093913

>>6093173
ffviii in one line
>the path alone is without conflict; but a million timelines repeat, loop, and overlap because soulmates will always keep trying to find each other

>> No.6093992

>R=U
brainlet
>squall is dead
2000s brainlet
>everything in the game is clearly spelled out and as intended. FF8 was one of the last great vestiges of the 90s sincerity, and, despite having a silly plot, was one of the most honest, simple, and straightforward rpgs of all time
yes.

>> No.6094058
File: 48 KB, 600x600, 7ef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

R=S

>> No.6094070

>>6093913
That literally proves R=U

>> No.6094078

>>6094070
>time compression plot & Shakespearean love arc
somehow proves your made-up NOT canonical theory true

the delusion is strong with this one

>> No.6094149

>>6094078
I asked you to give me one quote from the game where it says R=U isn't true. Instead you've given me superficial posturing. If the theory was wrong the game would state it. So prove it.

>> No.6094160

>>6094149
The game doesn't have to address every schizo theory you come up with faggot. >Ultimecia is all powerful
>can control spacetime
>can control minds
>the game never says she is a video game character
>She is actually god
>Square Enix is actually the hand of god
>you're in a mind controlled trap by Square Enix
Now go make SE look like kyoani for my enjoyment you incel.

>> No.6094161

>>6094149
the only posturing in this thread is yourself
development team said its literally not true

why dont you disprove that rinoa isn't actually cloud from ff7 dressed in honeybee manor drag the entire story

the game never states or leads you to believe that it ISN'T cloud, see the problem with your logic yet?

the burden of proof will always lay with you, not those you are trying to convince

>> No.6094331
File: 178 KB, 1003x748, Rinoa rules over all.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rinoa is NOT Ultimecia but she IS the actual villain of FFVIII. Given how easily people have been persuaded to believe in R=U or Squall is dead I honestly wonder why this theory hasn't taken of in similar fashion.