[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.99 MB, 2715x2240, N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
608731 No.608731 [Reply] [Original]

What were they thinking with this design?

>> No.608745

>>608731
They made it SPECIFICALLY for Mario in mind. That is it. They only cared about Mario 64 and made the controller based around it. Still, it's weird.

>> No.608763

They were thinking that one could hold the middle and right grip as if it were a normal controller, and it would give you two different gripping options. It's obviously not the same though.

>> No.608764

>>608745
dpad does nothing in m64 iirc

>> No.608767

It's funny, as a kid I never had a problem with this design. I just picked it up like OP's picture and played.

>> No.608768

I don't understand the problem. Are there any games uncomfortable to use with the controller or what?

>> No.608770

They hadn't really come up with a design scheme for 3d games nor their controller, so they just created a pad where you could literally change from dpad to analog stick. Also, illusion of choice.

>> No.608774

>>608768

Armorines and Turok come to mind.

>> No.608792

>>608731
What were they thinking with that analog stick is what you should be asking.

I mean good lord, soft plastic and dry friction? It's like they wanted them to wear out in mere months so they could sell more controllers.

>> No.608796

It was on the verge of 3d console gaming becoming mainstream, and Nintendo didn't want to force developers one way or the other.

If your game was side-scrolling or otherwise needed digital movement, hold the left side for movement, and if your game was 3D and needed analog movement or was First Person and needed a joystick for aiming then you'd put the player's hand on the middle stalk.

While the C-buttons were nominally for Camera control, they were basically enabling a six-face-button scheme ala Sega's preceding controllers.
It also allowed shooters to use the C-buttons for movement and the analog stick for aiming to make N64 shooters comfortable, instead of pausing and switching between using the stick for either shooting or moving.

>> No.608797

3D games were new. I doubt they were even thinking of the possibility of using both the dpad and the analog stick at once

>> No.608801

Was there a game where you actually used the D-pad in one hand and the stick in the other?

>> No.608807

>>608796

This

>> No.608835

>Need a Stick
>Use the Stick Grip
>Need the Dpad
>use the Dpad grip

genius, solved the issues of Dpad and stick placement
And since you didn't really use both for n64 it didn't matter that you wouldn't be able to reach the other too well

>> No.608841

>>608731

N64 was the first console I really got into, so it works for me (I actually hold it with my left hand all the way on the left side, my brother calls me monster hand) but I can definitely see how bizarre it would be for someone trying it nowadays.

>> No.608847

My only grip with the 64 controller design is that people with bigger hands end up with their fingers squished between the two handles if they're holding handles next to each other. I have a Tomee-style controller so it's not a problem for me, though.

>> No.608854

>>608768
It's just retarded. Why design a controller such that a third of it always hanging off the side and never being used and is too far away to factor into the regular control scheme where reflexes are needed?

>> No.608863
File: 49 KB, 600x450, end me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>developers who mapped different functions to both shoulder buttons
>not having the same function for both L and R

>> No.608898
File: 14 KB, 480x309, cuban pete.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The controller when used with the joystick has 9 buttons; A, B , 4 C's, L, R and Z.
Whereas Xbox/PlayStation controllers have 8; 4 main ones, and 4 trigger types. (Not counting Select)

Some games like Duke Nukem allow the D-pad to be used for things like raising and lowering the aimer, thus bringing the total of useful buttons to 13.

The joystick is useful for games like Mario 64. Where you need a greater range of movement and to be able to change directions in a 3D environment.

The D-pad is useful for games like Pokemon stadium where using a joystick would be pointless and annoying to most.

However there are games that use both! Mario party uses the D-pad for the main part of the game with option selecting and it uses the joystick for the mini games (some use the D-pad still).

Also Super Smash bros comes to mind, some people prefer to use the precision of the D-pad when doing attacks and movement other people prefer the joystick.

The N64 gives more functionality and choice to the user.

>> No.608918

>>608796
They were essentially covering all the bases

>> No.608946

It was designed so you could hold it in a number of ways. Z was added as a replacement for L.

You were never supposed to use all of it. No game suffered because of this. Recently I began using one and I still feels good.

>> No.608974

>>608731
IT WAS THE EVOLUTION OF CONTROLLERS

>> No.608990

>>608731
I personally don't have an issue with it, I can still play games fine with it.

>> No.608991

Was there even a game that required you to hold the controller like in OP's pic and required you to use the L-Button as well? Because i can't remember ever having any problems with it.

>> No.609001

>>608801
I just tested it out, it kinda can be in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

Switching to Left-Handed controls means you move around with the D-pad, jump with L, aim with the Analog Stick, and shoot with Z. Weapon switching is still assigned to A and B, so you have to move your thumb off the stick for a bit to switch weapons, and you still have to move your hand to toggle Walking and Map, but for the most part this scheme fits your description.

>> No.609015

>>608767
This, I never even gave it a second thought as a kid.

>> No.609026

Regardless of how weird it is, it still feels very comfortable.

my only gripe is that the dpad was a bit too stiff

>> No.609032

Some retarded kids held it wrong actually, I've seen with my own eyes.

>> No.609037

>>608731
I don't know. I mean, that shit felt fucking good.

>> No.609041

>>609001
Neat. Kind of an early dual-sticks for fps setup. Too bad the right hand has to move to switch weapons.

>> No.609042

My thumb can reach and use the analog stick if I hold it at the edge instead of in the middle.

>> No.609050
File: 266 KB, 1280x960, 214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That's why I bought an alternative.

>> No.609061

>>609050
Mother of god, that manages to look worse than the original.

>> No.609064

My family used to get the Chicago Tribune, and the guy who made Doonesbury would sometimes draw people holding this controller--they were always holding it wrong, by the outer edges.

The thing is, nobody understood how it was supposed to be held. I get that it's meant to be held different ways for different games, but holding it by the middle "stalk" is completely unintuitive.

>> No.609067

>>608768
Its shit for games that need all the buttons.

>> No.609071

>>609061
I'm not that guy, but I can attest that it actually surpasses the original; the analog stick has a rubber pad on it and it feels like (and is as durable as) a GCN stick. The d-pad isn't hard to reach, though it is a bit small.

>>609067
Like?

>> No.609078

>>609061
>looks worse
It's all about the performance and comfort.

>> No.609089

>>609050
I actually just bought one of those. They're fucking awesome. I recommend people give these a try.

>> No.609090

Best precision analog control on a gamepad. Way better than those wobbly little things on a Dualshock or Xpad.
To this day my favorite analog-capable pad.

>> No.609097
File: 78 KB, 640x480, 1365352389996.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609061
its the same as a gcn controller! I want one so bad but theyre $60+ on ebay

>> No.609101

>>609071
Turok got mentioned like 20 times, but it is the most obvious example. I think it was also a problem with Duke Nukem 64, but I havent played for years. Good devs didnt do that kind of crap however, so the controller was good most of the time.

>> No.609104

>>609061
Its better than the original unless you are playing one of the games that used the dpad.

>> No.609109

>>609104
I dunno, I found the dpad pretty conveniently placed.

>> No.609116

>>608731
They obviously were thinking more than the companies that pretty much repeat the same control scheme generation after generation.

>> No.609148
File: 97 KB, 945x709, 1321965426919.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>608731
Only hipsters (i.e., people that have NEVER used the POS in real life, for daily gameplay) hold this contraption up as DAT GREATEST CONTOLLER OF ALL TIME

P.S.: GameCube controllers are crap, too.

>> No.609153

>>609109
I don't like the horipad's d-pad because of its size, not placement. Same reason I didn't like the GCN d-pad.

I don't understand why there isn't a perfect controller yet. Every controller just seems to get something wrong, at least a little. In my opinion, the 360 controller had the best everything and was the most comfortable controller I've ever used....it's just too bad the d-pad is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, which ruins its use for a shit ton of games. Wii U Pro comes close, but it's missing analog triggers. Come ON.

>> No.609156

>>609148

>gamecube controllers
>crap

nope

>> No.609163

>>609156
I'm not that guy, but the GCN controllers, while good, do deserve some criticism. The analog triggers were weird, it lacks a second L button and select button, the face button placement wasn't ideal for some games (it wasn't BAD, but it didn't work well for everything) and the d-pad is too small.

It was really comfortable, though. 360 controller has it beat in that department (imo) but again 360 controller's d-pad is beyond garbage.

>> No.609168

>>608731
It was designed for navigation in 3D space.

The analog stick controls pitch and yaw

The C buttons are for strafe and moving up and down

the Z trigger is a modifier enabling the a and b buttons to do more than two things

the left and right triggers are for changing perspective\camera angles

>> No.609178

>>609090
The N64 stick is not analog, its actually digital. There is a beam of light that reads the position of a tiny wheel with holes in it. It starts at 0 and goes to 255 then back to 0 and to -255.

Well actually its less than that, but you get the idea. The different readings on the stick are tied to mario's animation keyframes, so at a certain stick position mario will begin to move at a different speed.

>> No.609181
File: 20 KB, 248x338, 1367012320717.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609156
No, anonfriend. I'm serious. I mean, obviously, both controllers were designed with MUH NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE IN MIND, but they work terribly with most ports, and holding an N64 controller the "prper" way with non-Japanese-size hands is an excercise in futility.

The whole design scheme worked masterfully for Nintendo back in the day, though. Whether Nintendrones liked the controller or not, they were forced to use it to play their exclusives, and as such, would (and still do) defend Nintendos silly controllers to this day.

>> No.609194

>>609181
>nintendrones

I was going to take you seriously but you lose credibility there.

>>>/v/

>> No.609229

>>609178
you realize that "analog" stuff works the same way, but with bigger numbers, usually 1024

>> No.609234

Am I the only person here who thinks the dualshock design is the most comfortable? I like it much better than the 360. The sticks are higher quality too.

>> No.609241

>>609229
It doesn't even matter, even 32 distinct positions would be more than enough on that tiny space.

>> No.609262

>>609194
Yes, I went overboard with the Nintendofan insult. Mindless console adulation always grinds my gears though, irregardless of the platform.

The Wii Classic Controller is outstanding, though (needs MOAR buttons, but who cares).

>> No.609278

>>609181

dude i'm not even a nintendrone. I didn't own a gamecube until 2005 when they became very very cheap and games for them were both cheap and plentiful.

I had played some gamecube games here and there at a friends house and INITIALLY i felt like the controller was complete tripe, but then as I owned one and played through probably about 26+ games on the console, I realized my folly.

It just takes some getting used to and yeah, it isn't perfect, but its a pretty snazzy controller. There is a reason the Smash Bros. fans don't want to transition to a new controller when the Wii U Smash comes out, and it isn't just because of fear of change(though that its part of it), its because that controller is fucking sick for the Smash bros formula.

If anything, the 360 design pretty blatantly stole from the gamecube's right stick and d-pad placement, is far less durable than a GC controller(those fuckers break all the time) and is less comfortable with an even shittier d-pad. Its saving grace is how comfortable the shoulder buttons are.

>> No.609284

>>609262

Dude the wii classic pro controller is siiiiiccckkkk

>> No.609290

>>609278

>Wii U Smash

For some reason I think there will be a Wii U Gamecube styled controller for sale

>> No.609445

Is it just me or is the stick murder on your thumb? I recently dug my n64 out of the closet to play Majoras Mask and I have to wear a glove to keep my thumb from getting sore.

>> No.609552

>>608801
Sin and Punishment.

>> No.609573

>>609163
>The analog triggers were weird
This is supposed to be "criticism"?
They were different, yes, but explain how they were bad.

>the face button placement wasn't ideal for some games
It's fine for everything unless the developer was retarded and made it so you'd need to be able to press B and Y or B and X at the same time or in quick succession, which is basically the same as a dev making you press the left and right or top and bottom buttons at the same time on a controller with a cross face button configuration.

>> No.609753

>>608792
I've heard a story that the sticks were lubed in Japan, but the lube was illegal to export. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm under the impression Nintendo expected people to lubricate their own controllers or something.

>> No.609779

The N64's Z trigger beats the Dual Shock's shoulder buttons and the 360's crappy analogue triggers hands down. There's a lot to like about the controller, especially if you're left handed. And Americans must have HUGE hands, because I never met anyone in Australia or New Zealand who had an issue with the controller's size.

>> No.609840

>>609445
You think that is bad. Play Mario Party and just try not get your ass handed to you by the tug of war game with out using your palm to spin that stick fast enough.
I still remember the pain of cutting open my palm. It was a evil pain

>> No.609909

>>609779

Americans typically have big hands yeah

>> No.609916

2D games: Dpad and ABCbuttons
3D games: Stick and ABCbuttons

you guys are fucknig retards if you can't see that.

>> No.609920

>>609909
>Americans typically have fat hands yeah
FTFY, porky.

>> No.609924
File: 95 KB, 800x576, gamester1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609779
lefthandfag here. it's true. but at the same time the space between z-trigger is too narrow so big hands get problems. I suggest a 3rd party controller then like this one.

>> No.609931

>>609920
Fat doesn't change bone structure, genius.

That's like telling someone to lose weight because their hand is two knuckles too wide to fit into a pringles can.

>> No.609939

It wasn't uncomfortable to use, it just looked weird leaving half of the controller abandoned most of the time.

Only problem I had was games with analog stick and left bumper. You needed to move your hand off of the stick to even reach it unless you were Mr. Fantastic.

>> No.609942

>>609924

i get fucking phantom pains whenever i see this shit

>> No.609943

>>609064
that's some horseshit. how is it unintuitive? middle stalk focuses on the z-trigger for arcade shooters like sin and punishment. it's like a gun in an arcade game.

>> No.609954

>>609942
you don't know shit. I owned this controller for seven years and yeah I admit it looks weird but it's completely fine after a while. the great thing about this one is the wider octogonal space for the stick so you maneuver a bit better and the bigger gap for your finger holding the Z-trigger if you got bigger hands. that's why I mentioned it in the first place.

>> No.609972

>>608763
then the right grip should have been adjustable to fit the left or the middle as if it were a single controller at the time. that just shows how stupid the whole idea and design of that controller is.

>> No.610002

I never had a problem with it, but as I was the only kid that owned an N64 and everyone else had a playstation whenever they came over I always had to tell them to hold the controller right.

>> No.610106

Forgot about this thread. Anyway:

>>609573
>They were different, yes, but explain how they were bad.
The analog triggers were way too resistant; their force against your fingers was a lot stronger than later controllers and rift between the analog the fully clicked-in button was pretty jarring. Pressing it all the way in really quickly felt weird. Not to mention that they were huge and rocked a little in their slots, so they were loud. I really wish Nintendo improved upon them for future controllers, but now their controllers don't have them at all. I have no idea why.

The 360 controller has the best analog triggers ever, in my opinion; just the right amount of feedback and force. PS3's falter for not having ENOUGH force; they get accidentally pushed all the time, and they seem to weaken with use a lot easier than 360's.

>It's fine for everything unless the developer was retarded
True, games developed on GCN should utilize the buttons based on their layout and the layout isn't BAD, but as an all-around controller it doesn't work well for some non-GCN games, like, for example, 2D Mario platformers. The shape of the face buttons doesn't let you rest your thumb across two buttons, ala Super Mario World. GCN controller on that game via Wii VC is very uncomfortable.

When I judge all controllers against each other, I judge them based on their all-around universal usability, because in this day and age it's possible to plug anything into anything with the right equipment.

Still not saying the controller was BAD; it's one of my top controllers. I just wish it had a few tweaks to make it future-proof; I'd have used it as my eternal PC controller if it just had a better d-pad and a couple more buttons.

>> No.610118

>>609954

i'm not arguing, i've obviously never held one in real life. it just looks wrong.

>> No.610137

I thought it looked like a bat when I first saw it.
Nintendo was probably thinking "we'll put 3D controls on the back burner, in the middle, in case they don't pan out, it'll make redesign easier".
Either that, or they wanted an original, iconic look. You see those threads with all of the EXTR3M3 advertising in them? The 90s were full of tryhard marketing at any cost, even if it meant looking impractical.

>> No.610154

The only controller that ever gave me blisters, but I got used to it.

>> No.610156

>>610137
It looked like a starfighter to me. Which meant it looked awesome. I never understood the hate for the N64 controller as a kid; it looked cool, it felt good, and the three handles seemed like a good idea to me. I don't know what level of retard you have to be to not realize that your two hands only go on two handles at a time.

>> No.610160

>tfw afraid to rotate joystick or push joystick too far on N64 pad out of fear of ruining it

Anyone else share this feel?

>> No.610192

>>610106
I gotta disagree on the 360 triggers.
I think they could stand to be much wider and have more resistance.
It's somewhat difficult to do something like press the trigger only half way. You can do it, but you have to very intentionally hold back.
This practically eliminates the entire point of it being an analog input instead of a button.

This was also the biggest strength of the GameCube's triggers. They probably went a bit overboard with the resistance, but pressing the trigger only part way is VERY easy to do.
If you have the ability to do so, compare spraying water with FLUDD on the 360 controller to the GameCube controller.

>> No.610218

>>610160
Not really. Buttons are pretty fucking hard to break, and with 3D printing getting big it'll be easy to replace the one part that gets grinded down in the analog component.

>> No.610261
File: 4 KB, 137x35, lawls.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not masturbating using the N64 trident grip

>> No.610286

>>610192
That sounds like a good way to compare them, I'll have to set that up some time.

Yeah, the trigger thing is possibly just my preference, but like I said it's all my opinion; different people probably have different opinions on what makes the best controller. Just about all my friends tell me that the PS3 controller is the greatest controller of all time, but I heavily disagree for numerous reasons.

>> No.610294

>>608801
The Ekans/Diglett minigame in Pokemon Stadium did that.

>> No.610297

>>610192
>>610286
Also meant to add: If they ever come out with the rumored GCN Virtual Console on Wii U, games like SMS will be ruined; the Wii U has no analog triggers whatsoever. There'll probably be some retarded toggle shit that we'll have to do using L+LZ/RZ.

>> No.610321

The analog stick was the worst piece of shit in the world.

It was mechanical and it had no lubricant at all to smoothen it, it was like rubbing plastic together. When your thumb got sweaty it'd fucking slip off the shiny plastic stick

I heard Japan N64 controllers had lube and that the reason American ones didn't was because the FDA didn't allow it. I have yet to find a real citation for that though
Heree's what I don't get about first time N64 players:

>Game uses analog stick
>"GEE I'LL HOLD THE LEFT PRONG AND BEND MY THUMB TO USE IT"

>> No.610329

>>609753
Also fucking glad I'm not the only one who heard about this

If this is true I should just buy some nippon controllers

>> No.610341

>>610321
>it was like rubbing plastic together.
No, it wasn't -like- rubbing plastic together, that's exactly what it was.

Link for information:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJmSQjONRg

>> No.610343

>>610341
The tape method is the most fucking stupid and retarded thing I have ever attempted in my entire 24 years of living on this god given earth
i fucking failed and ended up lubing the thing like a greased up dick

>> No.610358

>>610343
I agree, but the video details the cause of wear and how to rebuild the damaged sections using epoxy, not the tape method.

>> No.610372

>>608767
Same here, never had a problem with the thing. I actually liked it for FPS because of the Z-Trigger´s position. Modern Controllers are much better, though.

>> No.610409

>>610118
yeah, BUT. IT. ISN'T.

deal with it.

>> No.610438

>>608801
Turok but Shadowgate 64 too but only really rarely when selecting items with dpad.

the interesting thing about SG64 is that you move with C-buttons and look up and down with the stick. it's a good setup for anything shooter or first person game.

>> No.610461

>>609290
>will
There already is one. At least where I live. I've seen plenty of them at Best Buy, but I doubt any games with use them until Smash comes out.

>> No.610746

>>609050
aside from the damned gamecube sized dpad, I wish I had one for my collection

>> No.610769

>>609779
>And Americans must have HUGE hands
I can hold a basketball upside down with one hand, so yeah my hands are pretty damn big. Also calling 360's analog triggers crappy, you must be retarded. They beat the shit out of DC, GC & DS3 analog triggers.

>> No.610968

I have a love hate relationship with the n64 controller.

Anytime I required precision (Like the hookshot or bow in OoT), it was a goddamn strain to align it up right. Other than that, everything was smooth and easy to stroke my fingers over.

>> No.611097

>>609753
>I'm under the impression Nintendo expected people to lubricate their own controllers or something.

This is really amusing to me, for some reason. I've never needed to use lube!

>> No.611124
File: 318 KB, 1920x1080, 1351137725801.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They wanted to make it ambidextrous. Sort of like how they flipped TP.

>> No.611145
File: 186 KB, 1678x893, Snes_control.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

SNES Controller is Best Controller.

>> No.611525

>>609097
Ok, but why 4 shoulder buttons?

>> No.611573

>>611525
2 z-triggers.

>> No.611614

>>608731
>What were they thinking with this design?
That you could switch between the D-pad and joystick depending on the game, but only a few used it like Mischief Makers.

>> No.611689

>>609097
There's a GCN to N64 adapter
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php?category=Adapters

>> No.611738

>>608768
As soon as you put a rumble pak in the whole thing feels unbalanced.

>> No.611793

>>608898
You can't use the D-pad in smash actually.

>> No.611898

>>610160
Lubricate it and it will be okay. If you leave it as it is, it WONT be okay. That thing gets grinded to dust really fast, I think I never had one last over an year.

>> No.611961

>>611614
this is the only guy who gets it

it's clearly designed so that your right hand is on the right stick and your left hand can be either on the left or the middle. Both the left and middle sticks have a directional controller (D-pad, analog stick) and a trigger (L, Z).

>> No.612167

>>610341
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJmSQjONRg
>DON"T USE VASELINE
Does he even know what he is talking about?
I used vaseline on a N64 controller years ago and it's the best one I have.
According to: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16267
It depends on the plastics, which means that without citations on the compositions of the plastics used on the N64 controller this dude is full of shit. Certainly lithium grease may be better but you don't have to go buy it if you have some petroleum jelly / vaseline around.

>> No.612220

I don't understand what the problem is. I grip the left and right sides and have very comfortable access to every single button. Why would you hold it any other way?

>> No.612347

>>609097

How do you even play Turok on that?

>> No.613267

>>611961
I never realized that this was something to 'get'

Isn't it obvious that they just wanted to see what devs would do with two different ways to make the player move? They made this pretty clear with all of the stuff posted about it in Nintendo Power.

Personally I would like to see a game actually use just the left and middle parts, it'd be a logical shooter setup to me.

>> No.613308

>>613267
I understand you could play Goldeneye with two N64 controllers and dual analog.

>> No.613770

>>609153
>I don't understand why there isn't a perfect controller yet.

Sega Saturn

>> No.614918

>>609153
Im still pissed about the Wii U Pro.
Like, the single thing preventing the 360 from having the greatest controller ever made was its dpad. Then Nintendo took the same design and added their own dpad, seemingly perfecting it. I was hyped.

Then no analog triggers.

>> No.614932
File: 147 KB, 500x688, tumblr_mhldyrXydC1rkrwaco1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>608731
They were thinking of greatness and how god is kind to us all, being illuminated with serene grace while designing this masterpiece of gaming.

Though yeah it works pretty well with most of the good games, specially the awesome Rare platformers, bar Jet Force Gemini

>> No.614954
File: 98 KB, 800x600, superpad64gc3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ctrl+f
>superpad
>0 results

>> No.615931

Some games used the D-Pad, some used the stick.
It's comfortable for both. Imagine playing a game on 360 where you move with the D-Pad. That would fucking suck.
There ARE games like that on the N64 though, so they made that shit comfortable.

Sure it's weird looking but who gives a fuck. Why are these threads so fucking common.

>> No.615958
File: 1.85 MB, 349x248, 1355967889892.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>608731

It's was a good design, the D-Pad was made for games like kirby or used for other shit, while the C-Pad was made to move around in 3D games.

While Nintendo seems to make some fucked up controllers, they actually get shit done and in the end, the only real retard is the one who is judging the content without playing it.

>> No.616000

>>608731
I've stated this in ever goddamn thread like this, but the fact of the matter was that Nintendo was unsure whether or not audiences would accept 3D gaming, so they built a controller that would have both the analog stick AND Dpad in primary positions so they would have a fallback in case their 3D forays failed.

The amusing fact of the matter is that Nintendo's 3D experiments on the N64 were mostly complete disasters compared to their NES and even SNES successes, but they went ahead with their mindset anyway

>> No.616012

>>612347
Same way you'd do it normally? I've had absolutely no trouble playing Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2 with one.

>> No.616197

The N64 controller is the most comfortable thing ever. My only problem with the N64 controller is in the way I hold it when using the stick. Growing up with a NES and a Genesis, my hands need to be in line with each other when holding a controller, and this causes me to tilt the controller when using the stick. Unfortunately, my brain doesn't always make the right adjustments to the way I use my left thumb, so trying to go forward ends up with me veering to the left. I remember really liking the Dreamcast controller when I first held it, and this was simply because the d-pad and thumbstick were both comfortably well within thumb's reach from a single hand position.

>> No.619247

>>614954
I bought that thinking it was a brilliant idea, but I really wasn't happy with the quality and ended up defaulting to using the original controllers. It felt pretty cheaply made and the buttons didn't feel as good.

>> No.620190

>>613770
>Sega Saturn
Funny: Rareware prototyped Goldeneye on a Sega Saturn controller because the real N64 didn't exist at the time. They were given special SGI workstations which had more memory than a real N64, but 3\4 of the processing power, or something.

>> No.620217

>>620190
[citation needed]
I'm not calling you a liar. I just wanna see the sauce.

>> No.620239

>>620217

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/921602/the_making_of_goldeneye.html

Considering how the finished GoldenEye feels so suited to the N64, it’s easy to forget the machine didn’t exist for the first year and a half of its development. The team was using SGI Onyxs, hugely expensive Silicon Graphics machines, guessing at what the specs of Nintendo’s new console might be and using a butchered Saturn controller to playtest.

>> No.620251

It's dynamic!
You can hold it three completely different ways for three completely different kinds of play controls.

>> No.620265

>>620251
>It's dynamic!
>You can hold it three completely different ways for three completely different kinds of play controls.
Not to mention you can hold two of them for dual stick controls.