[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 76 KB, 679x482, 81Vq5P5sPOL._SX679_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6085636 No.6085636 [Reply] [Original]

Is Goldeneye 007 (N64) Overrated?

If we look at what score aggregate ratings sites give it we can see it's really high and by all means should be considered a masterpiece but if we look at video games of the same ere and similar rating which can see that there is actually a huge contrast and a gulf of quality between them and Goldeneye.

Now I know you're gonna say "but it was fun" and I agree for going round your friend's house it was probably the 2nd most thing to do, behind Monkey only virus mode in the nightclub on Timesplitter 2 of course, but something being fun doesn't mean its actually good.

The controls are awkward and pretty bad and counter intuitive where other games on the same platform don't seem to have the same issues, the graphics even for the era aren't that great and the gameplay itself isn't the most interesting or engaging. The story is lacking and is only bolstered by the fact that it's an adaption of a movie and the music while alright really suffers from being too short and relying on endless loops.

As we can see in truth it's not great and I feel like a lot of the praise it gets is from people who either haven't played the game in awhile and therefore do not have the best memory of it or are looking back nostalgically at it through rose coloured glasses blind to how poor the actual game is. We can also maybe pinpoint it on the recent trend of liking anything old and disliking anything new to as to why people are unwilling to give the game a true rating or a true review.

All in all I don't think Goldeneye is worth being anywhere in the discussion of masterpiece games or even really good games and should in fact have it's score lowered on rating sites and people should look at it how it actually is and not how the child inside them remembers it being.

>> No.6085639

Nah, it's still a masterpiece.
I don't know what kind of sorcery did Rare use in those days.

>> No.6085640

Shit, I guess I didn't have a ton of fun and enjoy the game several times over after all. Wow, what a retard I am for enjoying a game even though it wasn't state of the art.

>> No.6085645

>>6085636
Oh look its this thread again

tdlr

>> No.6085649

>>6085640
>fun
fun =/= good

>> No.6085737

>>6085636
Nope. Still good. Did not age well but can still be fun to play.

>> No.6085765

>>6085636
That's a lot of words just to say you're coming out of the closet anon

>> No.6086042

>>6085636
>The controls are awkward and pretty bad and counter intuitive where other games on the same platform don't seem to have the same issues
Have you played Turok? Much worse controls. FPS controls were all shit back then. Even on PC it was bad. People were playing Doom on keyboard. Not mouse and keyboard. Just keyboard. And PSX didn't even have analog yet.
Goldeneye was pretty good in comparison.

>> No.6086079

aged like dog shit, still fun to play every once in awhile. i dont really get the hype

>> No.6086095
File: 109 KB, 1122x711, gotem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6085636
>being fun doesn't mean its actually good
the one (1) objective purpose of the medium
provide an entertaining experience for players
>it was probably the 2nd most thing to do, behind Monkey only virus mode in the nightclub on Timesplitter 2 of course
that game didn't exist in 1997, you lack perspective in the area you're discussing
>pinpoint it on the recent trend of liking anything old and disliking anything new to as to why people are unwilling to give the game a true rating or a true review
you don't go back and rerate things outside the time period that they existed in, that's zoomer tier shit

it has some of the best music in video games to this day imo, it's also still fun to play around in, especially if you try a modern make like source

>> No.6086143

4 player couch co op with some friends, nothing compared

>> No.6086369
File: 599 KB, 500x518, LantLaugh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6085636
>this logic
>this game isn't fun at all, but it's actually really good!

>> No.6086397

>>6085636
>muh bad controls
another retard that played on 1.1 style i guess?
never mind, the whole post is just strangely bland bait

>> No.6086430

>>6086369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MlNWYyVdh0

>> No.6086445

>>6085636
For it's time it was damn good for a console game. It really pushed console fps' to a level unseen before.
If you play it now it's kinda dogshit anyways.