[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 152 KB, 500x500, WarmAncientFulmar-size_restricted.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6079127 No.6079127 [Reply] [Original]

Pokemon is not a good series, not then, not now.

If anyone else tried to pull the shit they did under another name, the reviewers would go after them
with such further they would have been obliterated around the third gen where it was clearly evident
>invisible stats dictate the meta game
One has to constantly breed over and over to get the right ivs/natures and fight one type of enemy to get the right
EVS. To top that off, one has to repeat this process 6-30 to have a viable roster, no one should have to do that in order to get some good battles.

>Every human character has the personality of a wet towel
Don't deny this, none of these character stand out whatsoever, it's so bad that fans are mostly going off of made up head cannon and bs non existent lore

>Lack luster graphics
The first two gens were excusable given the hardware and the fact that gen 1 had some really tight constraints
but afterward, not so much.
They had static sprites in the 3rd gen till 5th while the competition had fully animated over-world and battle sprites.
To add insult to injury another developer at a studio of the same caliber produced several games with all Pokemon at the time
with full battle animations, overworld sprites, and better overworld buildings.

>3D wise they recycled the same models from N64 till Wii, and more recently reused the same models since 2010.
Imagine if Mario,Link or any other series did that, people would be calling for heads on pikes!

>It's been the same game since 1996
It's just a bunch of patches each and every game. It's never a full overall.

Honestly there is nothing good about this rot, greater game studios have fallen, yet game freak lives on.
Alpha Dream got shut down last month.

>> No.6079132

>>6079127
Pokemon was a fun little children's RPG for its time, with plenty in the way of party customization, lots of creatures with personality that were fun to collect, and with the added bonus of trading and battling with your friends. Gen 2 was more of the same but added a lot more for the player to do. There isn't much wrong with the first two Gens if you judge them based on what they are: cute little beginner-level RPGs with a bunch for the player to do.

>> No.6079141

>>6079132
even when I was 11 I wanted more from these games. Stadium was an ok addition, but my appitite for an adventure wasn't sated.

When i discovered other Rpgs, I couldn't go back to pokemon, it was just too lack luster.

>> No.6079158

On the topic of Pokemon, people have referred to as Whitney's Miltank as the first proper 'casual filter' in the series, though that's more due to the fact the pokemon was given a not-shit moveset. With this in mind, would the Pokemon games have been 'too difficult' if they were given meta/semi-meta movesets? If the battle towers are anything to go by, they would stonewall most players.

>> No.6079165

>>6079158
> the topic of Pokemon, people have referred to as Whitney's Miltank as the first proper 'casual filter'

Even when I was 12 that shit was easy
>quilava used ember
>ember burns the milktank
>attacks are halved
>win the battle easily.

That's hardly a filter,
>ith this in mind, would the Pokemon games have been 'too difficult' if they were given meta/semi-meta movesets? I

battling isn't the hard part, it's fucking evs/ivs
that is.

>If the battle towers are anything to go by, they would stonewall most players.

Those were easy too stadium prepared you for that shit.

>> No.6079171

>>6079158
It'd be more like a test of patience. You can just grind until you win, unlike the battle towers.

>> No.6079174

>>6079171
I can see why they gave opponents such retarded movesets. I can't imagine anyone being thrilled fighting against a pokemon that knows confuse ray, thunder wave, and headbutt. You get paralyzed, confused, and you might flinch, that won't be fun at all to deal with. Thankfully I don't think there are many pokemon that can learn these moves.

>> No.6079185

>>6079127
>If anyone else tried to pull the shit they did under another name, the reviewers would go after them
you mean like they did with pokemon red and green?
it's not a half bad rpg anyway, specially considering the guy who made it is probably autistic.

>> No.6079187

>>6079174
>games are too easy
>games are too hard
you can only pick one
>>6079171
depending on the bullshit they throw your way no amount of grinding can save you

>> No.6079197

>>6079127
>>It's been the same game since 1996
That's what fans of the series want though. They don't want new things, they want the game they already like, but expanded upon with each new generation.

>> No.6079203
File: 185 KB, 956x638, Pokemon7.2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079185
Here's Nintendo Power itself giving it a 7.2

>> No.6079206

>>6079203
>7.2
>bad
are you retarded?

>> No.6079212
File: 7 KB, 362x120, logarithmic-scale.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079206

>> No.6079214

>>6079203
>Sound
>6.2
Should be at least an 8. The music is great and iconic and all 151 pokemon have a unique roar

>> No.6079219
File: 24 KB, 500x427, 1566164785018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079212

>> No.6079221

>>6079206
It's Nintendo Power on a Nintendo game, so yes that's pretty bad

>> No.6079226

>>6079214

>l 151 pokemon have a unique roar
no they don't a couple are recycled or sped up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENhcAgAzo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YGkAcu52Y

>> No.6079231

>>6079219
Maybe if you did more mental gymnastics your mind would be lithe and honed enough to understand the concept

>> No.6079236

>>6079226
>a couple
>out of 151
I feel like you're just looking for things to complain. I mean, who doesn't want to be a contrarian piece of shit, right?

>> No.6079251

I was 14 and had finally got a copy of Pokémon crystal since my mom had banned Pokémon when I was a child. I played it for a few days then went back to the rpgs I actually enjoyed like ffvi and super Mario rpg. After another year or so of being a jrpg fag I realized those games bored the shit out of me and haven’t looked back.

>> No.6079263

>>6079236
it's more than that, but I don't feel like searching/
Why the fuck should cries be a feature anyway?

You are being a little girl man

>>6079251
I think we are the same age! Banned? Why?

>I actually enjoyed like ffvi and super Mario rpg.
EXACTLY MAN! Way, better than shitty pokemon, I even tried some other monster RPGs and they kicked the crap out of it.

Every play JADE COCOON?

>> No.6079265

>>6079127
>When did you realize that pokemon wasn't all that
When I played other more indepth rpgs. Pokemon's gameplay is both mundane and tedious. Each new generation offers the same vapid and uninspired experience as the last. The story offers no challenging battles and the few puzzles to solve are effortless and uncomplicated. Furthermore there is no real penalty should you lose a battle as there is no game over. Pokemon is truly baby's first rpg.

>> No.6079272

>>6079263
>other monster RPG's
Yes! Monster Rancher, Dragon Quest, Robopon, and hell even telefang which most people know as bootleg pokemon diamond was more exciting than pokemon.

>> No.6079302

>>6079132
Is /vr/ a safe place to say the first two generations were best and the designs have been atrocious ever since?

>> No.6079306

>>6079132
>Gen 2 was more of the same but added a lot more for the player to do

like what? I only ever played Pokémon red and that's all I know. So what came after red? what have I been missing out on? in my world there are only 150 Pokémon.

>> No.6079331

>>6079306
>In my world there are only 150 pokemon
There were 153 original pokemon + Missingno

>> No.6079363

>>6079165
You just got lucky if your Quilava's ember instantly burned it. If it got off Rollout against Quilava you'd not stand a chance.

>> No.6079395

>>6079302
even among the gen1/gen2 desgins there were some pretty shitty ones in there

>persian
>dewgong
>poliwrath
>seaking
yes I know about the legend, but it looks like a normal fish with a fucking horn
>ursaring
>stantler
>yanma

>> No.6079406

I only ever played Pokemon thru emulators and never on original consoles. I don't know if there is option to speed up everything 1200% like on VBA, but that's what makes or brakes these games for me. Without it it's borderline mental to play.

>> No.6079532
File: 704 KB, 1073x1209, Terry used Vehicular Manslaughter!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
This is a recent realization for me. I enjoyed Pokemon a lot growing up but in my adolescence SMT arrived to take the spotlight. And while it became one of my favorite series it didn't make me start hating Pokemon despite the quality being astronomically higher. Instead, Sword and Shield's release is what set off my disillusionment. It's now clear Gamefreak has no intention of improving their games, and looking back at them all without the rose-tinted glasses I see just how brainless they are. BW2 are the only entries I could sit through for a replay. Platinum, HGSS, and Emerald are also solid but not enough to keep me hooked anymore.

>> No.6079537

>>6079127
The more I think about it, the more I realize how brilliant the Pokemon games are. The series deserves its success.

>> No.6079772

>>6079127
Pokemon is a game franchise based around providing happy childhood memories to a bunch of 8 year old girls and then having them buy merchandise featuring it far far past the point that they actually play the games.
The fact a very small group of legitimately autistc people figured out that if you fought 642 Rattata in a row you'd have 5 more attack points than someone and based an entire meta solely around this due to the game being as shallow as a puddle is like getting mad that Hello Kitty doesn't compete with academy award winning films.

>> No.6079776

>>6079331
>counting Missingno
Back to Youtube, zoomer.

>> No.6079783

There was always something a little pathetic about people who refused to participate in the original zeitgeist. Like they were trying insanely hard NOT to enjoy it.

>> No.6079787

>>6079127
My favorite pkmn games are xy/oras after that it went to crap for me and not just like "that wasnt as good as it used to be". It was like "gamefreak fucked up everything i once loved about these games i cant belive i preordered sun and moon. Its just a couple islands. Wheres the gyms why is my brave adventurous pokemon trainer wearing gay ass safty gear and riding other peoples pokemon? Guess the next game will give them a chance to fix what they broke" then they doubled down on their stupidity and made an even worse game.

>> No.6079797

>>6079127
Pokemon is a great concept implemented by shitty programmers and shitty writers.
>>6079787
ORAS was kino and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Dexnav was my favorite addition in a decade.

>> No.6079801

>>6079787
You sound underage.

>> No.6079821

>>6079776
Not sure what you mean. Do you think Missingno was an obscure glitch discovered years later?

>> No.6079927

>caring about "the meta game"
Meanwhile, pretty much every kid just used whatever Pokemon they liked and didn't give a fuck that their Pikachu had slightly less numbers or whatever. It literally only matters to faggots on the spectrum like OP.

>> No.6079935

>>6079821
Haha I consider Missingno a Pokemon I'm so quirky hehe

>> No.6079948

It was pretty clear to me since RS that they had no desire to improve, and they would squeeze you out of every possible penny with things like remakes and definitive versions.
GSC showed potential at least, but OP is right, and after Red I was left with nothing to do but taking the dex diploma.
GF never tried and they deserve every shit they are getting now and in the future, even more than sonic team refusing to implement momentum in 3d.

>> No.6079963
File: 248 KB, 820x1184, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
I don't know OP, it was a good RPG for children. The goal of RPGs is to make you feel like you are living in a different world. And when I was a child, I remember dearly the journey and how enjoyable was the experience of being a monster collector and fighter.

I don't care anymore, but in my opinion, GF should focus on the experience and not the individual features. As long as the game makes you still feel like you are on an adventure, it won't matter the balance or the appearance.

>> No.6080065

Ironically, this faggot >>6079776 exposed himself right then and there.

>> No.6080076

>>6079306
Gen 2 was similar mechanics with and expanded world and less bugs/balancing issues

>> No.6080101

>>6079127
I'm not gonna say Pokémon was mechanically anything special, but how many Game Boy RPGs had better graphics, a longer campaign, more moves/abilities/unique monsters etc compared to Pokémon? Generations I and II were Game Boy games (Crystal excluded). They didn't look amazing but how many Game Boy games did?

>The first two gens were excusable given the hardware and the fact that gen 1 had some really tight constraints but afterward, not so much.

Please go to /v/ or /vp/ if you want to discuss anything after gen II as anything from the GBA onward is not retro.

>> No.6080376

>>6080101

>from the GBA onward is not retro.

It's nearing 20 years in a few months (gba that is) and the gba ecapsulated the feel of the SNES, gimmie a pass here.

>>6079783
I tried, but I kept getting disappointed over and over again with shitty game after shitty game. Then I found real rpgs, and I just said fuck it.

>>6079772
That's another thing, I am not really a materialistic kinda guy, hence why I never got merch unless it was a present.

>ht 642 Rattata in a row you'd have 5 more attack points
I really wish that this had stayed a secret or they didn't implement that shit at all.
>>6079787
ZOOM ZOOM!

>> No.6080387

>>6079127
Thank you for your call

>> No.6080401
File: 57 KB, 298x298, dragon-warrior-monsters-2-taras-adventure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6080101
>ut how many Game Boy RPGs had better graphics, a longer campaign, more moves/abilities/unique monsters etc compared to Pokémon?

Right here buddy.

>> No.6080428

>>6080076
I remember Gen 2 feeling much shorter and smaller, but it's been a while. Loved R/B, felt very underwhelmed by G/S, never finished emerald, and had a blast with X.

>> No.6080538

Pokemon was pretty unique for its time, at least as far as localized RPGs went. All the other games were essentially the same traditional final fantasy romp

>> No.6080704

>>6080538
stop being a white girl or zoomer
>All the other games were essentially the same traditional final fantasy romp

Games out by 96'
>chrono trigger
>arc the lad 1+2
>mother series
>saga series
>Mario RPG
>Star ocean
>terranigma

>> No.6080786

>>6080704
Not really talking about action rpgs but whatever. Yeah mother is the closest thing to the kind of innovation outside of combat with its modern setting and 1:1 overworld, makes sense that there is staff overlap. Some games had 10 party members, pokemon had 100+, same kind of thing for the type elements. Also not many games had multiplayer of any sort, let alone being portable (the good ones atleast). Also the tall grass thing was great, I don't know how many games had implemented markers for potential encounters in the actual field zones instead of just making the enemies visible

>> No.6080814

>>6080786
>eah mother is the closest thing to the kind of innovation outside of combat with its modern setting and 1:1 overworld

Ummm....Arc the lad? Mario RPG? Star Ocean, varied dependent on planet.

>Some games had 10 party members, pokemon had 100+
75 if you exclude pre-evos, and honestly less than 20 worth a damn, majority of them were shit filler...
>seaking
>seadra
>venomoth
the list goes on,.

> same kind of thing for the type elements
some times were abject shit until years later
>bug
>fire
>fighting
kinda pointless
>. Also not many games had multiplayer
Arc the Lad 2?

>Also the tall grass thing was great, I don't know how many games had implemented markers for potential encounters in the actual field zones instead of just making the enemies visible

ARC THE LAD?! and you can see them coming in Star Ocean, Mario RPG, and Chrono triger.

You are being a white girl.

>> No.6080876

>>6080538
Far from it. It took inspiration from many JRPGs, even ones that were localized. Look at Final Fantasy Legend (SaGa). The game had three races that developed differently (one random stat ups, another uses potions to gain HP, agility, strength, and the last class consumed monster meat to transform into other monsters), save anywhere, among other things. I am not saying it did anything first outside of being the first portable RPG but you can look at Pokemon and the monster race in FFL. All characters had a max of eight slots for skills and items, monsters upon transformation gain their own fixed stats and skills. Skills consisted of attack skills, weaknesses, and resistances. Skills were based on charges rather than MP. Your monsters can change into most monsters in the game barring the bosses.

Pokemon isn't as wildly innovative as you'd think it is as Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest, and others did things that it borrows from. Pokemon just did it in a way that it appealed to a mass audience.

>> No.6080880

>>6080401
I had the first one when I was a kid, so unless 2 was way better than 1, what you claim is totally false. It was fun, but gen 1 pokemon holds up way, way better.

>> No.6080883

>>6080101
>Length = quality
Some of the RPGs on the Gameboy were purposefully designed short. Like 8~14 hours play time, and I'd pick them over Pokemon anyday.

>> No.6080957

>>6080876
That's a fair point, but I think the way Pokemon handled gathering and controlling monsters, as well as the collecting focus, is different enough from those games to still be considered wildly innovative. In all those games, you're not expected to use the same monsters throughout the game. In Pokemon, they're more like pets that grow with you throughout the game. That Pidgey you catch near the start can still evolve and become stronger later on. Also, Pokemon having unique "DNA" through IVs and growing differently beyond just their level through EVs makes them feel more personal, even if you ultimately want perfect stats. You can compare your Meowth with your friends, and they won't be exactly the same, not just because of their move sets but because their stats are different. Even things like the limited TMs contribute to the uniqueness of your Pokemon. The social multiplayer focus is a big innovation too. The Pokemon had a value beyond just your personal save file. Even if the battling wasn't the most balanced in gen 1, it's still enjoyable and has a lot of depth. Trading is fun and supports the game's collection element, and some features like the Pokedex make trading more interesting. For example, the fact that a Pokemon gets recorded in the Pokedex encourages you to trade, because even if you don't want to permanently swap Pokemon, you can share them for the Pokedex entry and then trade back. There's a bunch of little touches like that helped the game succeed.

Looking at some of the original planning documents, and how Tajiri imagined the social aspect of the game from early on, is interesting.
https://www.glitterberri.com/pokemon-red-blue/early-concept-art/2/

>> No.6080960

>>6080957
>A (Hypothetical) Story Set in the Not-So-Distant Future…

>It’s been a month since the release of Capsule Monsters, a monster game that incorporates RPG elements into a dungeon-covered overworld. You know those vending machines that sit in front of candy stores and toy shops selling capsule toys called “gashapon”, right? I guess I could describe the game as being similar to the excitement you get from collecting those capsules.

>In Capsule Monsters, 200 types of virtual monsters live in equally virtual underground dungeons on the Game Boy. The game’s hero can befriend these monsters and win them over to his side by increasing his Charisma, a game parameter not yet widely known among Japanese audiences. Charisma is featured in the Wizardry series, but it seems like Japanese games have yet to make use of it. Naturally, Capsule Monsters also allows you to capture creatures alive rather than defeating them in battle, as you’ve done in RPGs up till now.

>The roster of over 200 types of monsters includes creatures that you won’t necessarily encounter, creatures who will choose not to ally with you, and creatures who you’ll miss the chance to encounter entirely, and thus never be able to catch. My friends and I call these “illusory monsters”.

>It just so happens that I have three Green Dragons, which only appear very rarely in the corner of an underground dungeon, four levels down. In order to catch just one of these illusory monsters, players of a certain level have to spend an average of 2 hours wandering around a particular area. My friend, Takuji, doesn’t have any Green Dragons, but he is allied with 2 Fireflies instead.

>> No.6080961

>>6080960
>In class, discussion about Capsule Monsters really heats up after the bell rings. Who has which illusory characters? How many? We’re not just bragging, exactly. Once my friends and I come to an agreement, we connect our Game Boys via Link Cable and then we can use it to trade monsters. That’s why we get excited, because we’re negotiating which monsters to trade for what, and how many.

>Takuji and I finally finished negotiating. He’d agreed to trade one of his Fireflies for two of my Green Dragons. But I still felt like our exchange was a little unbalanced. I asked if he wouldn’t mind adding 5 Powerkings, monsters with the strength you might expect to see in soldiers, and we finally struck a bargain. Powerkings have a high encounter rate, and you’ll quickly run into them if you wander around dungeons. They’re strong, though, and the theory is that, if you have a lot of them, you can put them to work as soldiers when you run into other monsters. Takuji and I hooked up the Link Cable and traded monsters. The Game Boy plays sound effects as the monster data is being transferred, so we could hear the monsters’ cries.

>Word of mouth has turned Capsule Monsters into a hit. While I was riding the train to school, I discovered that students from other schools played too. I pulled my Link Cable out of my school bag as I addressed them. “Excuse me,” I said. “I have a Firefly and a Green Dragon. What do you guys have? How about a trade?”

>> No.6080968

>>6080876
Lol, SMT is straight up unplayable even if it has some of the coolest everything else. Dragon Quest is just dragon quest, just like final fantasy and the like. Now you're going to go into how mother sucks because it was inspired by dq? And FF2 did saga better the main saga games in my eyes, I actually finished FF2 but didn't play much more than a few hours of the saga games I tried. Now if someone like me couldn't get into it then you're right I don't think there's hope for the typical consumer especially at the time. But that's partially on the game designers too. Just because you have a more obtuse system doesn't mean your game has to be annoying to play, and just because the game is more intuitive from the get go doesn't mean it's worse.

>>6080814
I think people miss the point of pokemon. If it was about beating the game in the least amount of time yeah you just use your starter and that's it. Then people say, well, it's a game it's supposed to be beaten and you're supposed to look for ways to minmax. In Pokemon's case they may have unintentionally created a semi-sandbox rpg where people are supposed to make their own difficulty, which means rolling with the party members that you like more but might be weaker. Not everyone plays rpgs to break them.

And I don't think you get what I mean with the tall grass. It's how they implemented specific areas visible to the player in the wilderness field areas where all other games just have either random encounters everywhere or enemies already visible on the field. Pokemon had a hybrid outside of caves which was pretty cool. It's like being able to see where there is potential danger outside of cities without having to engage with it. The problem with some of the visible encounter games like chrono trigger is that it's a bit fake in some areas because you'll trigger flags when you step somewhere somewhere and have encounters out of nowhere

>> No.6080976

>>6080814
>Arc the Lad 2?
Not really the same, and it came out after Pokemon anyway.

>> No.6081104
File: 543 KB, 500x500, 1466659727784.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6080968
>Then people say, well, it's a game it's supposed to be beaten and you're supposed to look for ways to minmax. In Pokemon's case they may have unintentionally created a semi-sandbox rpg where people are supposed to make their own difficulty, which means rolling with the party members that you like more but might be weaker. Not everyone plays rpgs to break them.

There were no if and or but's about it.
You were SUPPOSED to have a team of lvl 50 dudes by the end of the game and stadium was made around it. Dumbshit kids couldn't grasp that, due to the shit layout

and that game punished them for it.

>grass. It's how they implemented specific areas visible to the player in the wilderness field areas where all other games just have either random encounters everywhere or enemies already visible on the field. Pokemon had a hybrid outside of caves which was pretty cool. It's like

In arc the lad, there were specific maps where you could train and fight dudes specifically,

> The problem with some of the visible encounter games like chrono trigger is that it's a bit fake in some areas because you'll trigger flags when you step somewhere somewhere and have encounters out of nowhere

It was 1995 dude, wtf did you want them to do?

>>6080976
Totally the same, and arc 1 came out earlier than pokemon, it had to be split in two because deadlines.
Also it outsold pokemon, but it didn't get the clearance to be sold outside the us till 2002

>> No.6081472

>>6080401
So one? One RPG?

Great game though.

>> No.6081498

>>6081472
That one came out in 2001 too. Game Boy Color not the original Game Boy (last Color game released in NA that was compatible with the original actually). Always wanted to play the DQM games as a kid after seeing them in magazines, I should get around to it someday.

>> No.6081779

>>6080968
I didn't say Pokemon sucks nor Mother sucks, stop putting things into the comment that don't exist.

There is absolutly nothing obtuse about what I detailed. Mutants get stronger from battles, humans get stronger from potion consumption, monsters transform through meat consumption. These aren't obtuse. The way you worded your post seems like you played various games in the series as well, and if so and you're talking about growth mechanics in the series as a whole then it is the most intuitive compared to other games. You use something in battle, and you can get better at doing it. That easy, that straight forward. How did FFII do SaGa better than SaGa games rather than throwing a bunch of vague opinions? Anyways it isn't even relevant to the main topic of Pokemon. You seem like you're on the attack that the quality of Pokemon is being questioned compared to games in the genre. It is pointed out then you go out of your way to trash as many series as possible.

>> No.6081807

>>6079185
>it's not a half bad rpg anyway, specially considering the guy who made it is probably autistic.
Yeah just wanted to mention that pokemon is made by people with asperger for people with asperger. Like for reals, look it up. Should explain a lot.

>> No.6081864

>>6081779
I wish more SaGa games had the transforming monsters and other different races. I think it's just the first and Frontier. Having different races develop differently is really cool. I remember monsters seeming a little weird in both games when I first played them, since I had no idea how to get good forms, but I always enjoyed changing monsters and seeing what I'd get.

>> No.6081927

>>6079127

you don't understand the concept of pokemon, the social factor is the difference from other jrpgs.

It's the mechanics that work, capturing, trading and fighting.

Mario and Zelda recycle too, you have mario bros 1 and super mario bros 2 japanese, or the zeldas season of gb or ocarina of time and majoras

are different games and you compare games with few characters, pokemon always has more than 100 new characters, the pokemon are the protagonists.

Mario and Zelda, in their nucleus they continue being the same thing of always, platforms and adventures.....hardly different mechanics....but the nucleus is always the same

If you play for history, you're in the wrong place, if you want history read a book or watch a movie, games are for playing and having fun

>> No.6082067
File: 482 KB, 3000x1687, IMG_6271.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
How has no one called out the fact that most of these complaints are about modern Pokémon?

OP is a sooner who lazily copy/pasted this shit from another board to start a discussion here.

OP, you could have made your points relevant to retro Pokémon you twat.

>> No.6082071

>>6080814
>75 if you exclude pre-evos, and honestly less than 20 worth a damn, majority of them were shit filler.

Cope, you can play and win with what you like and pre evos just let you build up to the final form.

>> No.6082320

>>6079127
Gen 1 was okay but a broken glitchy mess regardless, remakes were lackluster
Gen 2 is the best, still had some glitches but was overall very fun, the remakes were great even if they removes and streamlined some shit the added content makes up for it
Gen 3 is okay, the remakes were attrocious
Gen 4 is shit, always was, always will be
Gen 5 was okay for what it was, unfortunatelly many people shat on it cuz not muh kanto
Gen 6, 7, 8 were all shit and they keep getting worse with each next gen, 3D pokemon was a mistake.

>> No.6082323

>>6082067
>OP is a sooner
>sooner
Spotted the phone poster.

>> No.6082332
File: 2.57 MB, 291x426, 1504331204628.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
I want to KILL the enemy, not make it faint like a little girl. Also, rubber suit ass.

>> No.6082382

>>6081927
>you don't understand the concept of pokemon, the social factor is the difference from other jrpgs.
arc the lad had the same shit, but it got stuck in japan.

>Mario and Zelda recycle too, you have mario bros 1 and super mario bros 2 japanese, or the zeldas season of gb or ocarina of time and majoras

Not in the same capacity, the second mario was whatever, and the zeldas recycled on the same console.

I am talking about reusing models from the N64 up to the wii.
The graphical leap between the N64, gamecube, and wii was immense.
>Mario and Zelda, in their nucleus they continue being the same thing of always, platforms and adventures.....hardly different mechanics....but the nucleus is always the same

UMMMMMM......
>Paper Mario
>Mario RPG
>Mario and Luigi RPG

Not so much.. You are starting to sound really zoomerish......

>are different games and you compare games with few characters, pokemon always has more than 100 new characters, the pokemon are the protagonists.
Other series replaced models over the years
>dragon quest
>digimon
> yokai watch

So..................................................Pokemon earning more captial should be able to do that easily.
>f you play for history, you're in the wrong place, if you want history read a book or watch a movie, games are for playing and having fun

Difference is ev training isn't fun.

Truth be told, you are either a zoomer or white girl with the shit you have been spouting

>> No.6082395

>>6079132
I don't think it's a beginner level RPG. It might not have a compelling story but the mechanics of the game more than make up for that. This is evident when you consider that the game has worldwide championships where people take the game seriously up to a professional level.

>> No.6082439

>>6082071
>Cope, you can play and win with what you like
look at any vgc tournament and the school yard back then. The top brass were
>snorlax
>taruous
>chansey
>alakazam
>zapdos
>gyrados
>rhydon/golem
>zapdos
>lapras
>starmie
>cloyster
>jolteon
>slowbro
>joteon
>gengar
>dragonite
and sometimes dactyl or venusaur
no one was using anything else else they got their asses handed to them.

>>6082320
>Gen 1 was okay but a broken glitchy mess regardless, remakes were lackluster
Yeah, kinda sucked truth be honest, I wanted more of an adventure

>Gen 2 is the best, still had some glitches
Honestly the best made with the given hardware, they really did a good job with this one
>Gen 3 is okay,
Nope it was shit, shit music, static sprites and shit graphics, also to add insult to injury another studio outdid them with their own brand. That should have been the end right then and there.

Stopped playing after that, truth be told I didn't even pick up gen3, I took one look at it at the store and then decided to get FFTA instead, I think that was a better choice

>> No.6082440

>>6082395
Yeah, the multiplayer definitely gives the games more depth than most RPGs. But if you're just playing through the story, they're usually trivial to beat. Then again, so are most RPGs. Challenging battles are mostly restricted to the postgame. The earlier Pokemon games at least had some big dungeons and stuff to provide a bit of resistance, but the latest games have been more straightforward. I was a little disappointed about the lack of a Victory Road in Sword/Shield.

>> No.6082449

>>6082440
ARC THE FUCKING LAD 2, WAS WAY BETTER!
The thing is it's hard to get footage because it wasn't wide spread in the USA but beat pokemon in japan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX9uNguw46M

>> No.6082469

>>6082439
There's actually more usable Pokemon than that in Gen 1. Victreebel, Articuno, etc. Then there's stuff like Clefable and Hypno which aren't quite there, but are still pretty good. The bigger issue with the balance was how much better Tauros, Chansey, Snorlax, and Exegguttor were over everything else, along with the type balance issues in general. Most teams include those four. But if you look at all the fully evolved Pokemon, about two-thirds of them are decent enough to be used I'd say. Even if a lot of them contribute less than top tier Pokemon, they can still be used. Your win rate will be lower using less useful Pokemon, but it won't totally cripple you. I've topped online ladders using lower tier Pokemon, and I've seen people have a decent amount of success using weird teams of rarely used Pokemon. Obviously you'll want to use the best stuff if you want to optimize your success, but if you're playing casually you can do well with most things, barring some deadweight Pokemon like Ditto or Golbat.

For school yard battles back then, it was rare for anybody to have a fully leveled, optimized team anyway. For VGC tournaments and modern games, it really depends on the game and VGC year. There can a good amount of variety, and there's always a lot of room for experimentation.

>> No.6082474

>>6082449
That does look neat.

>> No.6082493

I always felt is more than little babyish.

>> No.6082540

>>6082469
victreebel, and clefable maybe, but majority of fully evolved pokemon idk man. There are alot of shitty pokemon in there, that either have bad stats, 4x weakness, shit movepools or worse.

Look at poliwrath, who the fuck was in charge of that spread?

>For school yard battles back then, it was rare for anybody to have a fully leveled, optimized team anyway.

People woke the fuck up after stadium and even before that, every nigga on the school yard had 100 everything because of the missingno glitch.

>> No.6082545

>>6082540
Yeah, the missingno glitch was great for that.

>> No.6082581

>>6082449
Autism.

>> No.6082590

>>6082581
no it's not autism
A good studio that I wanted to work at went under while shitty gamefreak lives on. I am fucking pissed.

>> No.6082807

>>6081864
Yeah, the first two Gameboy games and Frontier had races developing differently. I enjoy it immensely, a lot more than other games that just have a few different base stat alterations and perks. It makes them feel different from one another and worth using them all to see how it pans out.

>> No.6083045

>>6081779
FF2 is easier to understand from the very go probably because it's rooted in traditional jrpg fare other than the growth mechanics. Dragon quests creators strived to simplify the crpg so that it is as painless to play as possible on a console, and they did a great job. I always feel like I'm playing something half baked with saga, because things are not as apparent at first which may not be a problem but the whole experience of playing it even when I understood wasn't fun to me. And I'm only telling the truth as I see it, not hate. There are games that have a good enough feedback loop to keep you satisfied enough to play, which is a combination of many factors. I admire saga for trying something out of the ordinary even if I don't think it's executed to well. But you can't hate pokemon just because it's popular either, which seems to ultimately be the main argument, because in the timeline that the series ended after gen 2, nobody would be complaining about how they re overrated or something. The games were very novel and fun to play and that had little to do with their fad status.

>> No.6083070

>>6079537
t. Gamefreak

>> No.6083078

>>6079127
>when
Never, because I haven't really thought deeply about Pokemon since I was a child.

>> No.6083095

Pokemon is a bad game but good social expirience.

>> No.6083132

>>6079212
>7.2 is even higher on the retard scale
kek

>> No.6083697

>>>/vp/
Good luck...

>> No.6084743

>>6080428
Honestly bro, if you're in for a nostalgia trip and get the itch, GSC take what red and blue did and deliver proper sequels set iirc 4 years into the future. There's 16 gyms, and about 100 more mons to party up with. Day/night cycle allows for different mons to appear in the morning/day/evening/night and days of the week has a couple events. It was honestly a kino experience when they first came out. Less came down to luck and experience and strategy was more important. R/B were probably "harder" games but as far as the feel goes GSC are, to me, the only entries in the series, besides R/B, that feel like true adventures.

Even on the GBC hardware the colors, and sound were absolutely amazing. I swear, it's the last video game world I got lost in (immersed) until Demons and Dark Souls captured some of the 3D Zelda magic.

>> No.6086215

>>6083697
/vp/ is filled with people who only play this game, their minds are warped

>>6084743
I mean it was alright for the time, but idk. It still left me wanting more, albiet this was the only game in the series that matched the hardware at the time..
>>6083095
I remember kids talking about this one the schoolyard quite a bit, the thing is arc could have been better if more people played it.

>> No.6086671

>>6083045
What SaGa are you talking about and how do they seem half baked? I only mentioned the Gameboy games because they are portable and did come out before Pokemon. They had easy to understand growth mechanics for different races while being linear and easy to know where to go. What games are you talking about?

>> No.6086712
File: 623 KB, 1024x1301, 1536083929644.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
>with such further
*furor
>they would have been obliterated around the third gen
for what reason(s)
>invisible stats dictate the meta game
this is not necessarily true
the DVs IVs are a needless, obtuse, yet critical mechanic, indeed---however, past a certain point for the stats that *matter* to your mon's build, there is not enough difference between "good enough" and optimal for it to be worth your time continually rolling the dice; you will not be severely disadvantaged if your Alakazam has 2 ATK IVs and only 25 SPE IVs. Nor should you be too concerned if you get a Hasty Nature Alakazam instead of the Timid you want. This is a viable setup for your Pokemon to have, and not altogether impossible to obtain---again, for an Alakazam, only 2, MAYBE 3 of its stats really matter; the rest can be left suboptimal, because they are not truly disadvantageous to it in a way it wasn't already designed to be. Snorlax Body Slam will kill it either way, and no amount of pumping HP, DEF, or even SpA will save it.
>To top that off, one has to repeat this process 6-30 to have a viable roster
You are exaggerating with this 30 number. If you're smogonfagging, you won't *need* more than 12; and if you're not, you really don't need to go full comp autism and try for perfect 31 IVs across the (relevant) board.
>no one should have to do that in order to get some good battles.
Good thing that's not the case then, hunh?

cont.

>> No.6086731
File: 226 KB, 1266x656, c - 1549753514429 - lance grim reminder.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
>Every human character has the personality of a wet towel
Unimportant NPCs, yeah.
Semi-important NPCs, yeah.
However, for key NPCs this is mostly untrue. You're right that they aren't given enough depth, but even with the shallow presentation, there's still enough to go on for certain characters that gives you a good impression of who they are and what they're about.
Even so, this is an issue in many many JRPGs not exclusive to Pokemon, so there's no reason to single it out for this, especially since characters are not the focus of the Japanese regions games.

>> No.6086801

>>6079127
>Lack luster graphics
Okay.
>The first two gens were excusable given the hardware
Not really, there were better looking games out there than both of them.
>They had static sprites in the 3rd gen
You're gonna have to be more specific
>the competition had fully animated over-world and battle sprites
>sprites
No they didn't
>To add insult to injury another developer at a studio of the same caliber produced several games with all Pokemon at the time
Which?
>sprites
that word doesn't mean what you think it does

>> No.6086814

>>6079127
>3D wise they recycled the same models from N64 till Wii
So what.
>Imagine if Zelda did that
Yeah, it wouldn't work, because The Legend of Zelda doesn't use literally the same characters from game to game.
>It's been the same game since 1996
That's a good thing, we have spinoffs for variety.
>It's just a bunch of patches each and every game. It's never a full overhaul.
And that's a good thing.

>Honestly there is nothing good about this rot
Considering you completely neglected its strengths, that you came to this conclusion isn't stunning in the least.

>> No.6086826

>>6079214
>The music is great and iconic
EVERY SINGLE track in the game was surpassed in its category by some latter games' offerings in the series.
No other terms should be used for Gen I's soundtrack other than the synonyms of 'serviceable'.

>> No.6086834
File: 79 KB, 1072x273, 2019-12-01_06-08-50.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079302
>Is /vr/ a safe place to say the first two generations were best
This is the only place on this website where such blatant nostalgiafaggotry is protected by the very "rules" of the board.

>> No.6086840
File: 180 KB, 717x480, 1471752848876.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079801

>> No.6086860

>>6082540
>every nigga on the school yard had 100 everything because of the missingno glitch.
so the casuals didn't bother getting to 255?

>> No.6086904

>>6079214
>roar
If you call the ear piercing cries roars.

>> No.6086978
File: 151 KB, 309x309, 1468555653731.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6086712
for what reason(s)
>shit musical score in comparison to other games on the console
Listen to sword of mana, FFTA. the first rocket slime or golden sun,
>Static sprites where most rpgs had battle animations
INB4 hundreds of monsters, at the very least they could have done what was done in gen 5

>disadvantaged if your Alakazam has 2 ATK IVs and only 25 SPE IVs.

Here is the thing you have to get those evs, which means fight the same damn enemies and avoiding others; where as in any sane rpg you could just fight anything in your path and you would be fine.

>ou are exaggerating with this 30 number. If you're smogonfagging, you won't *need* more than 12

You need a good number for vgc for various situations or strategy, fighting with the same 6 dudes gets old. You still have to repeat that fucking process though and that's insane

>> No.6086993

>>6086801
>You're gonna have to be more specific
nothing moved in battle, all we had were static images of the pokemon. That was excusable on the gbc, but not the GBA. They really shit the bed.

>No they didn't
yes they did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey4UUCKUcpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey4UUCKUcpE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdV093f_hOI

>Which?
chunsoft, with mystery dungeon, everything was sprite animated

>>6086814

>So what.
they looked really shitty on the wii, and gamecube

>Yeah, it wouldn't work, because The Legend of Zelda doesn't use literally the same characters from game to game.
'
Dragon quest updates models and it has the same monsters, you are being a white girl in a pink diaper, and I don't think you understand the graphical leaps between consoles.

>That's a good thing, we have spinoffs for variety.
not when the spinnoffs are usually diapershit, instead of things like mystery dungeon.

>> No.6087250

>>6086978
>golden sun
>better composition than any real mainline Pokemon game
>at the very least they could have done what was done in gen 5
Gen V battle sprites were soulless trash
>which means fight the same damn enemies and avoiding others
They're called vitamins and berries and rare candies.
And I obviously wasn't even talking about EVs.
>
You need a good number for vgc for various situations or strategy
I don't know how you can unironically type this when VGC Top 8s are regularly comprised of teams choosing from a pool of about 10 Pokemon.

>> No.6087304

>>6079165
this sounds like more luck than anything, because whitney's miltank has a monster bst and would one shot quilava most of the time (and outspeed it). it's more of a question of luck, especially as a kid, because miltank is fast as hell and if it gets going on rollout it will one or two shot even resisted mons

>> No.6087319

>>6086712
>>6086731
>>6086801
>>6086814
>>6086826
>>6086834
>>6086840
>>6086860
Unbridled, unbelievable spastic autism. Get off this board and get some fucking help. No one should spend this much time on this dumbass website.

>> No.6087354
File: 20 KB, 540x486, 1574313837816.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6079127
I think part of the problem amounts to the developers intentionally trying to prevent their games from outshining each other. If you've created the perfect blend of content in your game, what would the selling point of the next entry be? It's clearly intentional that their design philosophy's been like this for a while now. DP, for example, got rid of the Battle Frontier in order to make it the main selling point of Platinum. It says a lot when even the director of HGSS went out and said "we got greedy with the content we crammed into this game", since most of the other entries intentionally avoid adding too much to either "bring back" or add into the next game, to get people to buy. Before the franchise became huge too, GS were supposed to be the end of the franchise, and while some things were still rather undercooked, like Kanto's simplicity, it's clear they tried to go all out here, whereas future titles intentionally try to keep it simple to keep the bar low.

I think it's also worth noting that the spinoffs, which don't have that secure netting the main series has, experimented more with their concepts than it. Mystery Dungeon, for better or for worse, completely revamped their combat structure, helper AI and recruitment system in the fourth entry instead of leaving it the same, while games like Colosseum explore the main series' battle mechanics in a completely different single player campaign. These sorts of small changes that still keep the series' identity are pretty commonplace for any other franchise, but for the main series, staying the same still makes a profit for them.

>> No.6087358

I stopped liking Pokemon around the time the stupid cartoon came out. But that's because I was just young enough to enjoy Blue, but then pokemon became "gay" pretty quick.

>> No.6087725
File: 87 KB, 640x448, 3-001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6087304
throw a couple of smoke screens, or tailwhips with something else and you are good to go; Most bops don't know how to strategize and attacked blindly; try that shit in final fantasy or any other jrpg and see how far that shit gets you.

>>6087250

>better composition than any real mainline Pokemon game

compare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxr2BBJyOY

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-D4HqB4yU

to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTaE75unEk

>Gen V battle sprites were soulless trash
and so were gen 3's compared to the slime games, seiken densetsu, or star ocean's

>They're called vitamins and berries and rare candies.
You can't get unlimited quantities of them easily and you see most people ev training.

>I don't know how you can unironically type this when VGC Top 8s are regularly comprised of teams choosing from a pool of about 10 Pokemon.

Depends, there have been a few folks who broke the mold.But still, it goes back to what I was saying, if only ten are worth a damn, why add so many? That makes no fucking sense. Either make them all somewhat viable in their final stage or don't add that many at all.

>>6087354
>If you've created the perfect blend of content in your game, what would the selling point of the next entry be?

That's the stupidest shit I have heard all week, many other game developers go above and beyond to outdo their previous titles.

Are you a white girl or do you only play pokemon?

>>6087358
You sound like a zoomer, they came out at the same damn time in the US, in Japan that was a different story

>> No.6087752

>>6079127
Roughly...1999/2000
I played blue and silver.

>> No.6087782 [DELETED] 

>>6087725
I think making them all somewhat viable would be difficult while still making the Pokemon feel unique. They can't totally predict which ones will be viable either until the metagame has existed for a while. The fact that Pokemon can be sent forward to the next game while staying largely the same complicates things, because they might do better or worse with the next game's mechanics.

I think it's ok if it's not totally balanced, provided most of the Pokemon have some format where they're useful. Like they have Singles and Doubles now, some Pokemon that aren't useful in Singles are really good in Doubles. Extra modes like Pika Cup and Petit Cup from Stadium and Yellow are cool too. It's still hard to make everything viable in one game though, even with different formats. Since Pokemon can be transferred, there's at least the possibility that one could be useful in another game in the series.

There's also Pokemon that are useful for in-game purposes, like HM slaves or secrets that require them. The variety of Pokemon for its own sake is nice and makes collecting more interesting.

>> No.6087795

>>6087725
I think making them all somewhat viable would be difficult while still making the Pokemon feel unique. They can't totally predict which ones will be viable either until the metagame has existed for a while. So giving people a variety of Pokemon to experiment with is cool. The fact that Pokemon can be sent forward to the next game while staying largely the same complicates things, because they might do better or worse with the next game's mechanics.

I think it's ok if it's not totally balanced, but making as many Pokemon as possible useful in some way or in some format would be a nice goal. Like they have Singles and Doubles now, some Pokemon that aren't useful in Singles are really good in Doubles. Extra modes like Pika Cup and Petit Cup from Stadium and Yellow are cool too. It's still hard to make everything viable in one game though, even with different formats. Since Pokemon can be transferred, there's at least the possibility that one could be useful in another game in the series.

There's also Pokemon that are useful for in-game purposes, like HM slaves or secrets that require them. The variety of Pokemon for its own sake is nice and makes collecting more interesting.

>> No.6088071

>>6087725
>That's the stupidest shit I have heard all week, many other game developers go above and beyond to outdo their previous titles.
>Are you a white girl or do you only play pokemon?
They literally stated in interviews that they keep the games shit to avoid having a definitive version, idiot.
Yeah other devs do better but GF would rather keep things basic, which is why the games are so bad.

>> No.6088079

>>6088071
This is such a wierd post. It defends and derides Gamefreak at the same time.

>> No.6088092

>>6088079
>anon says Pokemon is flawed because the devs intentionally make the games flatline to avoid having to consistently improve
>another anon responds saying that's horseshit since other game devs actually do a good job
>anon responds stating GF flat out does it because they're lazy as shit
What's so hard to get, bad devs are gonna be bad devs, if you think "yeah, these GF is awful and lazy as shit because they don't want to make a perfect game" is a defense you're beyond saving.

>> No.6088207

>>6086993
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey4UUCKUcpE
plenty of static overworld elements with only the occasional movement, just like Gen II onward.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdV093f_hOI
these attack animations are easily worse than Gen III's
>they looked really shitty on the wii
No they didn't, the only goofy one was Crobat and that never looked good
>not when the spinnoffs are usually diapershit
whatever you say

>> No.6088213

>>6087725
>compare
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxr2BBJyOY
>to
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTaE75unEk
Pokemon's is way more inspired, less generic, and more bombastic.
>so were gen 3's compared to the slime games
LOL no
>You can't get unlimited quantities of them easily
If you're grinding for levels, you're grinding for money---give an amulet coin when you're not holding a macho brace and you've enough dosh for vitamins. Besides, the cloning glitches *will* give you unlimited quantities in half the time it takes to train normally.
>if only ten are worth a damn
Because legendaries are usually allowed. Ban them and you'll get different pictures.

>> No.6088458

>>6088207
you are being a white girl, gen3's was abject shit.

>No they didn't, the only goofy one was Crobat and that never looked good

look at arcanine, or sceptile, they look like shit.

>>6088213
>Pokemon's is way more inspired, less generic, and more bombastic.

You are brainwashed dude, that doesn't sound good.

>>6088213
>If you're grinding for levels, you're grinding for money,

Not usually, you are going through caves fighting pokemon, vs seekers are rearely used.

>Because legendaries are usually allowed.
Nah, b, many legendaries are very good, like the monotypes or thing like celebi due to typing and the ones that are above the cut are usually banned.

Only recently it was the tapus due to their typing and field altering skills, heatran, kryselia, zapdos, and maybe lando. Also back in G/C the only legends that people used were zapdos and suicune.

>> No.6088538

>>6082439
>look at any vgc tournament
Vgc was born in 2009, dumbass zoomer.

>> No.6088602

>>6088538
nintendo cup, same shit.

>> No.6088640

I think Pokémon would be better if Gamefreak made the games much harder. Of course not Kaizo difficulty but make gym leaders have full teams, make more intelligent AI, show EVs/IVs to the player more clearly. I’ve played romhacks that give you tools to win but let you figure out what strategy to use. Some of them you cannot brute force because of a level cap, where opponent goes to Lv 100 just like you. Hell some don’t even allow items. Of course casual play is what sells, so Pokémon wouldn’t be as big if people couldn’t steamroll in the games, but it would be better quality

>> No.6088650

>>6088640
Same. If they're worried about turning off casual players, it would be cool if they could have optional challenges like that throughout the game, rather than keeping any difficult battles until the postgame.

>> No.6088857

>>6079127
it was when I realized I was just playing a jrpg with a shitton of low quality party members and hardly any balance.

>> No.6088875

>>6088640
I never got why they didn't implement difficulty settings. They 'tried' in gen V but it was probably the worst implementation of difficulty settings in video games ever (if you had White 2, you unlocked easy mode after beating the game, which you could transfer to another player's cartridge, and if you had Black 2 you unlocked hard mode which you could transfer).

They could just leave Normal mode as is but include a hard mode. Games like, I dunno, Bayonetta do it and nobody feels offended for choosing 'Normal' rather than 'Hard'. But of course the simple reason is that not including difficulty settings is easier and will make as much money because Pokémon always sells.

>> No.6089325

>>6079158
>use a female pokemon
>attrack fails
>???
>win

>> No.6089346

>>6088875
>I never got why they didn't implement difficulty settings. They 'tried' in gen V but it was probably the worst implementation of difficulty settings in video games ever (if you had White 2, you unlocked easy mode after beating the game, which you could transfer to another player's cartridge, and if you had Black 2 you unlocked hard mode which you could transfer

Ok, fuck GameFreak

>> No.6089505

>>6079395
Fuck you Yanma and Persian are based

>> No.6089818

>>6079165
Geodude alone stomps the first 4 gyms

>> No.6090467

>>6089818
Who the fuck has ever used Geodude?

>> No.6090771

>>6090467
exactly, and especially in GSC people wanted to use new pokemon that have never been seen before instead of the same old shit.

>>6089505
yanma maybe, but persian is abject shit.
>literally just a panther with a jewel on it's head
>looks like a dumbed down real animal

>> No.6090782

>>6087795
>I think making them all somewhat viable would be difficult while still making the Pokemon feel unique

Movesets, typings, abilities, they have the tools dude.
Here's a fucking thought, stop releasing 20 pokemon with the same typing and having one that clearly outshines the rest.
>The fact that Pokemon can be sent forward to the next game while staying largely the same complicates things, because they might do better or worse with the next game's mechanics.

Gengar, Alakazam, Rotom, and Scizor have been top tier or near since their release. It's not mechanics, it's power creep, gen 5 introduced some hard hitting mofos, and then gen 6 with the megas.

>, like HM slaves
fuck outtta here with that shit, hms were a bad idea from the start.

>>6079158
Wasn't hard at all if you were prepared....

>have something tailwhip miltank twice
>your pokemon faints
>quilava uses smokescreen twice

Now it's much easier to deal with, the thing is your average fat head white kid doesn't use effect moves in game.

>> No.6090793

>>6079127
>If anyone else tried to pull the shit they did under another name, the reviewers would go after them
>with such further they would have been obliterated around the third gen where it was clearly evident
I remember quite a few magazine reviews with Ruby and Sapphire complaining that the jump to GBA was hardly utilized graphics wise.

>> No.6090998

>>6090793
We needed more, I mean they needed to be torn a new asshole. Sessler gave it a 4 out 5 wtf, he usually cam down hard on game.