[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.19 MB, 2000x2023, Persona [Front].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6070895 No.6070895 [Reply] [Original]

I just wanted to post it

>> No.6070914

Good

>> No.6071020
File: 109 KB, 144x121, torogi8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6070895
one good turn deserves another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcslVx9BAT8

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXH06d-2ww

>> No.6071419

>>6070895
I prefer both P2 games but this one is still good. Fuck P4 and 5 for what they did to the series

>> No.6071424

>>6071419
What exactly did they do? Seems like they’re in line for the series.

>> No.6071439

>>6071424
They made too much money. They brought in awful fans and made Atlus stop caring about SMT and its non-Persona spinoffs and instead caused them to make every imaginable Persona spinoff like Dancing All Night and shit like that. Not to mention social links killing any sort of natural character development, P3 was the only one to actually balance those. I could go on about how the current Persona team straight up steals ideas and entire plots from P1 and 2 on a regular basis too, but I'd be here forever. I won't deny that P5's combat is tons of fun though.

>> No.6071636

>>6071439
But SMT 4 was also very popular and a pretty solid game. The popularity of P 3 and 4 helped support that getting made as well as the remaster of SJ and finally getting us an official release of Soul Hackers. You can't really fault Atlus for P3 and 4 when it appealed to so many people. Just doesn't have to appeal to you or I.

>> No.6072757

>>6071439
>and made Atlus stop caring about SMT

Let's look at this.
>>Persona 4 is released in 2008
>SMT 3 Nocturne Maniax Chronicle
>Devil Summoner 2
>Devil Survivor
>>PSP port of Persona 1
>Strange Journey
>>PSP port of Persona 3
>>PSP port of Persona 2 Innocent Sin
>Devil Survivor 2
>3DS port of Devil Survivor
>>PSP port of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment
>>PSV port of Persona 4
>>Persona 4 Arena hits consoles
>3DS port of Soul Hackers
>Shin Megami Tensei 4
>>Persona Q
>>Persona Arena Ultimax hits consoles
>>Persona 4 Dancing
>Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
>Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse
>>Persona 5
>3DS port of Strange Journey
>>Persona 3/5 Dancing released the same day
>>Persona Q2
>>Persona 5 Royal
>Tokyo Mirage Encore
>>Persona 5 Scramble
>SMT5 is in development

All told...

Seven new SMT games, two of which are mainline.
Four SMT games ported to another system
Two SMT games given an improved release.

Five Persona games ported to other systems.
Nine Persona games (including 4), two of which are mainline.
Two are enhanced releases

So yes, Persona gets quite a lot of attention, but you cannot say that SMT is getting ignored.

>> No.6072763

>>6071439
>They made too much money.
Could have ended it there. This is actually the only problem with it when it comes to autismos like you because you're just videogame hipsters.

>> No.6073058

>>6070895
it's a sick boxart and p1 is a great game.

>> No.6073080
File: 380 KB, 640x647, personamark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6070895

>> No.6073090

>>6071439
I agree with your point about 3 having balanced character development and 4 going too far for sure. I think what happened was, 2 really felt like a proper sequel to the first game in that it updated and altered mechanics and narrative while still maintaining the basic gameplay and link between the plot and characters of the originals. On the other hand, 3 was made by a completely different team and they went in a different direction, but it was sober, they had their heads on straight and in spite of the pop influences to the soundtrack and the overall visual novel feel of the characters and tone of the cut-scenes and social events there's this cohesive sense of understanding that the people who play the game want melancholy and occult themes that the series is known for. So while most might say that 3 was the biggest jump for the series, and of course that is true as far as gameplay is concerned because there's no question that 3 and 4 have more in common gameplay wise than either does to 1 or 2, I would say for what essentially matters 4 was the biggest jump for the series, there are so many incidental and cringe-worthy cutscenes between the characters like cooking contests and school field-trips that I lost sight of what Persona even was when playing it. For example, when the characters go to Kyoto in 3, it feels so different than anything that would happen in 1 or 2 because of the calendar-based structure of the plot where you go to school and attend class every day, but it's so right because it actually has a purpose to making you feel in the game and it's great to see how the different characters react to the new environment. With 4 there generally is this lack of purpose, even cynical, where things just happen because why not? Like they just want to create countless pointless scenarios between the characters and that having overarching themes or an apocalyptic undertone would deprive the narrative of its potential to be "fun," "cool" or "sexy."

>> No.6073151

>>6072757
>you cannot say that SMT is getting ignored
he says while listing ports

>> No.6073158

>>6073080
Based

>> No.6073159

>>6073151
Lol