[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.67 MB, 4032x1960, 20191208_025149.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6058689 No.6058689 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/. I performed an experiment today and it worked really well so I thought I'd share. I had this cheap knock off Cirka snes controller. If you've ever used one they feel just awful, everything is super stiff. If you've ever wondered, the 'stiffness' of buttons is related to how much force is required to depress the plungers on the rubber pads beneath them. I took it apart wondering if there may be a way to reduce how much force would be required, therefore bringing it down to how effortless and loose the actual SNES controller is.

I took a knife and made incisions on the rubber pads near the base of each plunger; one at every cardinal. The L and R plungers were quite a but bigger so I cut out entire squares instead. It was fairly simple and testing as I went they definitely felt easier to depress. I put it back together and fucking wow, it's a massive difference. It's still not quite OEM level (nothing will fix the cheaper plastics), but the stiffness is near entirely gone. I can roll the dpad without any effort, the buttons require hardly any force, it's more than useable now.

So if anyone happens to have some shitty stiff controls I highly recommend giving this a try, especially if you dont have any OEM controllers at all. This simple fix turns a 10 dollar controller into a 30 dollar one

>> No.6058782 [DELETED] 

op here
im gay btw if that makes a difference

>> No.6058813

There gonna break over time

>> No.6059557

>>6058813
Seriously, at minimum you should've used a soldering iron and melted holes in them so you don't have stress points. Trim the rim of plastic with an x-acto blade to remove anything that builds up.

>> No.6059682

Thanks. Let's hear results after a few weeks. Also before and after would've helped.

>> No.6060102

>>6058689
>i butchered my toy because autism
Please only do this with original hardware. Destroying chinkshit does nothing to drive up the value of my collection.

>> No.6060113

>>6058689
people do this to play smash bros melee

>> No.6061857

>get used to playing with worn out rubber
>buy a new controller
>cut the new rubber so it feels just as broken as the 30-year-old original

>> No.6062358

>>6058689
Thanks for the post, OP. You're doing a service to the board by posting original stuff.

>> No.6062372

>>6058689
It would have been cheaper to just buy a classic controller and adapter rather than the sheer amount of gook trash you're going to go through when those pads rapidly degrade and fail after your butchery.

>> No.6064898

>>6061857
It's retarded but no less retarded than buying brand new torn jeans

>> No.6067267

Brah, they sell replacement rubber pads at nesrepairsshop.com that feel the same as the originals. They even sell replacement sticks for N64 controllers, identical to OEM. Those cuts will most rapidly spread into huge tears that make the controller unusable.
>The More You Know

>> No.6067362

I got bamboozled into buying a Cirka N64.

The analog stick doesnt even move, and the A and B buttons stick in two directions, on the way down and on the way back up. What a disaster. I hate third party crap.

>> No.6068424

I just wonder where can i order some rubber pads for my OEM NEs and Snes controllers that dont feel like absolute shit... ive tried with the ones on KitschBent, some Ebay ones and the cheap AliExpress ones, all of them feel like garbage copared to my OEM ones, they feel either mushy or really loose...