[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 204 KB, 610x613, Shadow-Tower-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6040018 No.6040018 [Reply] [Original]

Recently started playing Shadow Tower. Can I screw myself in the game, or I shouldn't worry about this?
Also, PS1 thread I guess.

>> No.6040045

>>6040018
I've played it for only a couple of hours so I can only talk about some early game pitfalls, but here goes anyway.
I think it's fairly possible to screw yourself by going into the deeper levels too soon. At the very beginning you can drop a couple of levels down without exploding your knees but it'll result in you not having the appropriate equipment or stats.
Weapon durability is a nightmare of its own. Your first short sword will quickly degrade into almost nothing, so you should carefully pick which encounters to skip before you have some more weapons. You better return to them though, as they might drop some good stuff. Weapon repairs at blacksmiths cost your own health but won't kill you if you can't afford them; pick stuff to repair until you're left with the least possible amount of HP, drink a monster energy and return to fix the rest.
I think that's all I can think of at the moment. Also it's probably worth it braving a poison swamp after downing a resistance potion.

>> No.6040341

>>6040045
>>6040018
you can screw yourself over if you break ranged weapons
a bunch of the last bosses have force field attacks so you can't get up close to them and have to use a bow
and those are finite

>> No.6041689

>>6040018
It is extremely easy to screw yourself over in this game. Every resource is limited. Health potions, currency, weapon durability, everything is finite. Even monsters only spawn a certain number of times.

The difficulty is primarily early on when you'll be struggling to use a single weapon consistently, or where a single poison uncured will result in a game over.

There are shops that repair gear for the cost of your HP. Once you get enchanted armor with HP regen, this will effectively break the game and makes screwing yourself over significantly more difficult.

>> No.6042742
File: 77 KB, 500x443, Ankh - Tutankhamen no Nazo .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else play this game? I'm really on the fence about getting it. There's one gameplay on youtube but it was a livestream capture and the guy playing was more focused on talking about importing ramen (?) then talking about the game.

>> No.6042892

>>6040018
I really didn't enjoy this game that much but I don't think you can screw yourself.

There are tombstones/teleporters that move you back up the tower. Also I finished the game with like 70 healing potions, just trade your bad items for potions.
I never found the moonlight sword in this game but I also just kinda ran by everyone at the end of the game.

>> No.6043824

>>6040018
It's technically possible, but it's not something you really need to stress over. It would take some effort to fully deplete all the resources you have available.

>> No.6044118

>>6040045
>>6040341
>>6041689
>>6042892
>>6043824
Thanks, I am okay with resource management, I was just afraid of bullshit like I can't finish a puzzle because I ate the sandwich that I was supposed to give to an NPC and such.

>> No.6044132

I cheated to remove the durability system.

>> No.6045535

>>6044132
how?

>> No.6047809

>>6041689
>There are shops that repair gear for the cost of your HP
god this was unironically the most despair inducing bullshit in Abyss, particularly the first few hours without regen, I haven't played the first Shadow Tower yet but I can only imagine
also, I miss hurting myself when punching walls

>> No.6049105

>>6040018
Tom?