[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 49 KB, 537x473, Dragon-Ball-Z-Super-Butoden-2-secundarios.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6035435 No.6035435 [Reply] [Original]

What's your favorite story tree in Super Butoden 2?

>> No.6035484

>>6035435
Why were these games only released in France? Was DB really that popular there in the 90s?

>> No.6035537

>>6035484
Yep. It was one of the few first-world countries where it caught on, at that time.

>> No.6035628

>>6035484
It still is. In the phone game, Dokkan Battle, France is often one of the main countries that reaches top grossing whenever a new banner is out.

OP are there any routes where they don't kill Cell, or is that always gonna happen? I've always kind of thought that if Goku had been alive at the end of the Cell games he would've told Gohan "aight that's enough stop"

>> No.6035639
File: 24 KB, 220x193, dbz_butoden2_c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6035628
As far as I know there's no way to avoid killing Cell, or Goku dying, that's gonna happen no matter what, the only differences I recall were either Cell spawned the Cell Jr. or not (if you lose the first fight), or if Gohan uses the one-handed KKH with Goku's spirit besides him (if you lose the 2nd fight). So basically, if you win the battles, you go into an alternate way that isn't canon. No Cell Jr., and no super KKH to kill Cell.
I believe nothing on the Cell Game affects the rest of the game, but on the 2nd chapter, winning or losing battles determines whether you fight Broly or not (or Goku as the real final boss)

>> No.6035685

>>6035484
>Was DB really that popular there in the 90s?

Anime arrived in france a good two decades before it did in America. Also a lot of European countries ended up getting the French version of many popular animes, which is why 90s DBZ dubs had shit like the Genius Turtle or Small-hearted Piccolo or TRUNK (not Trunks, just Trunk), or Vegitto called Végéku..

>> No.6035689

>>6035685
Was Broly called Tara in France?

>> No.6036230

>>6035685
>Anime arrived in france a good two decades before it did in America. Also a lot of European countries ended up getting the French version of many popular animes, which is why 90s DBZ dubs had shit like the Genius Turtle or Small-hearted Piccolo or TRUNK (not Trunks, just Trunk), or Vegitto called Végéku..

Jesus, it brings back memories of polish translation of french translation. Piccolo was Szatan Serduszko (Satan Little Heart), and Goku was Songo

>> No.6036239

>>6035484
Surprisingly there's a straightforward answer for this.
Nintendo didn't have a proper official European branch until 1993, and was distributed instead by Bandai in France, Benelux and Spain.
Bandai was well established there as a toy maker and with the anime boom in France during the mid-eighties did a lot of merchandise for that too. They localized those products in French only for DBZ, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Tail Concerto... as they were the console distributor in the region and had a vested interest in supporting it. Even then, they still supported it after Nintendo took control in 1993, what changed is that they started localizing games for rival consoles too.
Those French versions were repackaged and sold unmodified in other European countries (at least Spain)

As for why didn't they try localizing it outside France and Japan?
Dragon Power was a mess (had to be scrubbed out of anime influences) and Nintendo censored too much in the US.
Super Butoden 2 (why the middle game, i have no idea) was planned for an English 1996 north american release... for mexico, because it was so popular there. Supposedly with a push from Nintendo, and based on the French version work (which shows it's translated from a development english build) but whatever the mexicans wanted was overriden by NoA killing the SNES early in 1996, whereas Bandai was happy enough to still support it in Europe with the fourth SNES DBZ game.

>> No.6036357

>>6035484
Yup ! In the end of the 80's we had a lot of animes like dragon ball saint seiya and my 2 favorites city hunter and maison ikkoku !

>> No.6037064
File: 139 KB, 750x1071, clubnintendo3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fun fact: Super Butoden 2 was almost localized in America by Bandai, mostly for the latin american market, but in the end it ended up not happening (I'm assuming it's because it wasn't hard to come by the japanese version in bootleg form, in fact it was a popular game here). But yeah it almost happened, it was going to be simply titled "Dragon Ball".

>> No.6038514

>>6035484
I don't know for sure, so I will tell you this - Polish dub of Dragon Ball Z was actually a translation of the imported French dub.
Of course this resulted in a ton of inaccuracies, like main character being named Songo Ku, or Piccolo being "Satan Littleheart"

>> No.6038521
File: 283 KB, 800x1200, DBZ_boujack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All the different DB dubs are very interesting.
The one we got first in Latin America was based on an early USA version from Harmony Gold (the same fellas who did Robotech).
In the early USA Dragon Ball dub, Goku was called Zero. Some other characters also had different names, like Yamcha being Redacki.
The early Dragon Ball spanish dub in Mexico was based on this, but it was only the first 10 episodes or so. I only remember seeing the Pilaf saga on TV back then, 1995 or so.
Then in 1996/97, we got a proper dub with all the original names, although for some reason Piccolo Daimaoh was changed to Pikoro Daimaku. Pikoro makes sense because in japanese, L or R are the same, but never knew why they changed it to Daimaku. It kind of sounds more badass, though.

>> No.6038525

>>6035435
>Gohan est devenu punk!
kek