[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 335 KB, 359x514, Ghost_in_the_Shell_1997_Game_Cover.PNG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5998740 No.5998740 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts? Never knew there was a gits game on ps1 until a few weeks ago but after seeing some gameplay and that kino as fuck intro im thinking of checking it out

>> No.5998747

it's neat but keep in mind it's kind of an early game also it's pretty hard

>> No.5998869

Soundtrack was banging

>> No.5998870
File: 86 KB, 640x640, mijk_gits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5998869
Naturally, produced by Takkyu Ishino (who also wrote the title track) and chock-full of original tracks by many techno gods of the 90s like westbam, beroshima and hardfloor

>> No.5998882

>>5998869

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIQ07UbZHc

>> No.5998903
File: 34 KB, 342x347, gitspalcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's one of my favorite PS1 games; the controls take a hot minute to get accustomed to, but once you do the game really sets off.

>> No.5999138

>>5998740
>>5998903
Classic Anime game.

>> No.5999161
File: 77 KB, 500x461, R-3466323-1331481568.jpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had this on the demo one that came with my PSX and I played the shit out of the demo, finally played it on an emulator years alter and it's one of my favorite PSX games. It's short, but goddamn is it fun. Cutscenes are nicely animated too, and what everyone's being saying about the music is 100% true, it's so fucking good and stands on its own as an excellent techno album.

>> No.5999264
File: 115 KB, 600x605, R-1854919-1401441173-9169.jpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5999161
>>5998740
Some beautiful artwork on this stuff. I'm surprised the soundtrack was even issued on vinyl when CD was dominating the market by '97.

>> No.5999271
File: 119 KB, 600x469, R-806186-1240435090.jpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5999264
desu the various different cd covers are even better than the vinyl's
and it makes sense for it to get a vinyl release, techno has always been primarily released on vinyl

>> No.6000994
File: 1.01 MB, 840x938, 1557973834036.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5998740
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfJwmbOTC5g

CAN U DIG IT?

IT TAKES THE PHYSICAL TO CREATE THE PHYSICAL.

PHASE 2.

THE FLOWER BLOSSOMS THROUGH WHAT SEEMS TO BE A CONCRETE SURFACE.

I.E. GREED, RACISM, INSANITY.

WHICH FLOWER WOULD YOU BE?

>> No.6001060

>>5998740
Pretty easy and short, the framerate is also pretty bad even for the original hardware.

On the other hand it's the only piece of animated media for GITS that uses Shirow's manga designs AND personalities for everyone, which is noteworthy, and it is the mecca of vidya techno OSTs.
Seriously, the OST is absurdly high quality, no game has matched it yet but to be fair, it's hard to do when Ishino recruited the absolute gods of techno to make am original soundtrack and such an event has never been repeated.

>> No.6001097

>>6000994
Groovy

>> No.6001145

This is now a Takkyu Ishino thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGUVw7DWeQ

>> No.6001217

>>6001145
Why's he dressed like Beetlejuice?

>> No.6001235
File: 86 KB, 350x450, ZinSay1465017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6001217
That video is from 1987, a year before Beetlejuice.

>> No.6001241
File: 5 KB, 189x200, 1249892990136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6001060
Thanks anon, checked out the soundtrack (never played the game) and i'm stoked how damn good it is.

>> No.6001259
File: 174 KB, 801x1149, GitS_GameFan_poster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6001241
Do play the game, I think it's one of the best on PS1 imo. Very unique controls and physics.

>> No.6001273

>>6001241
No shit, when you have people like Dave Angel, Mijk, Ishino, Westbam and pretty much the top tier Techno producers from all over the world working on your game you're in for some damn good time.
Make sure you do play the game though because the OST goes perfectly with the fast paced gameplay, and the level design is also pretty good overall, you'd do yourself a disservice otherwise.

>> No.6001282
File: 39 KB, 715x429, takkyu_taki_denki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>when the title track kicks in on the second to last level

>> No.6001374

>>5998740
Manga/Anime game definitely released in N64 library if went on use GD ROM disc (development in early 1996) or Jaz cartridge as storage media for that matter.

>> No.6001472
File: 62 KB, 640x640, gitsgood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6000994
dayum

>>5999264

>> No.6001642

>>5998740
It's not so good, short, the only tactic being sliding in circles and shooting. 100%ing the training course is not so hard either. Soundtrack and spider-perspective of walking on ceilings is a nice refreshment, but nothing else. The cutscenes are bland. I give it 6/10 /vr points.

>> No.6001950
File: 24 KB, 172x242, mehkoto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why is it so hard to get a proper GITS adaption that properly captures the look and feel of the manga. Oshii took the fun out and SAC was dryer than an Arizona heatwave.

>> No.6002240

>>6001950
>whaaah! where are my infodumps and lesbian cybersex?
If not for the anime literally nobody would give a fuck about it, look at the Appleseed.

>> No.6002478

>>6002240
The anime shits all over the superior source material, look at Appleseed.

>> No.6002712

>>6002478
>anime shits all over the superior source material
Not enough oiled negro dongs and girls with boy hips, I guess.

>> No.6002715

I remember playing the demo of this game all the time when I was a kid. Never knew it was a anime first until I went looking for a copy.

>> No.6003647
File: 138 KB, 1024x768, gitss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6001642
>It's not so good
It's very good
>short
alright, but so are many other 3D shooting games, games being short is not a negative as far as retro goes.
>the only tactic being sliding in circles and shooting
Are you sure? but each mission is different. The only boss that actually lets you strife around it is the first boss.
>100%ing the training course is not so hard either
It's fun though, can you beat my S rank score?

>> No.6003792

>>6003647
>Are you sure? but each mission is different. The only boss that actually lets you strife around it is the first boss.
I am sure. strife around the boss and jump left and right. I think the sewer one was a bit different(second boss).

>very good
the game is ugly for psx, and framerate can be shit, it has little challenge, virtually no replayability once you master the controls, poor quality cinematics, no story. What is 'very good' about it, exactly?

>alright, but so are 3D shooting games
Can you give me examples? Even so, that doesn't make the game very good, just that subsubgenre has some flaws. I can't imagine spending 60 dollars or so on a 2-3 hours game just because you can walk on ceilings. I would rather buy Einhander in that timeframe.

>games being short is not a negative as far as retro goes.
uhh even 80's games were usually longer solely because of the challenge factor

>> No.6003817

>>6003792
>strife around the boss and jump left and right
That changes the original tactic you mentioned, then.
Anyway, the game is more than just bosses.
>What is 'very good' about it, exactly?
Great controls with very original physics. Exact was a very good developer for the short while they lasted, they experimented with 3D games a lot, and it's a shame they couldn't show more of their talent.
Also great soundtrack, and the FMVs look fine, not HD or anything of course, but it's awesome to see animated GITS with Shirow's designs. For fans of GITS, it's a deal.
I think the game's aesthetics are alright, could use a bit more colors, but it gives that gritty cyberpunk landscape.
Can you give examples of the framerate being shit? I mean it's not silky smooth 60fps as /v/ zoomers demand, but I don't remember it being unplayable or anything.
>Can you give me examples?
Bulk Slash comes to mind.
>Even so, that doesn't make the game very good, just that subsubgenre has some flaws
Length has nothing to do with a game being flawed or not, what kind of arbitrary illogical criteria is that?
>I can't imagine spending 60 dollars or so on a 2-3 hours game just because you can walk on ceilings. I would rather buy Einhander in that timeframe.
You can do with your money whatever you want. Anyway, you're talking about the original MRSP or the current price for the game on ebay?
>uhh even 80's games were usually longer solely because of the challenge factor
Well, will you surpass my S rank score?

>> No.6003864

>>6003817
>Length has nothing to do with a game being flawed or not, what kind of arbitrary illogical criteria is that?
It's not arbitrary at all. Lots of people take that into consideration and if game is too short you have it listed at cons right now and back then in video games magazines in retro era.

If I have a simple game that does not change anything after 15 minutes, something on android or IOS then it's not a very good game. Sure you have speedruns, but you can speedrun almost every game, even the most unchallenging one. Then you have arcade, but it's much more involving and challenging than GINS. There doesn't seem much to train on in GINS, it's not tetris.

>Well, will you surpass my S rank score?
I'm not into speedruns. But I did have S rank.

>> No.6003892

>>6003864
Oh you're one of those 1cc retards. I hope you die in a horrible car crash.

>> No.6003925

>>6003892
sorry. it's a good game. just not very good IMO :) and I am GINS fan.
I still listen to its soundtrack though.
and i don't know what 1cc is.
I was refering to past by 'that timeframe' btw, if I would refer to present I would say 'this'. more or less 60 dollars. I wouldn't say to somebody that it's a very good game back, just good. Famitsu gave it 23/40. Some of my country local magazines gave it no more than 7/10 if I remember correctly.

>> No.6003986

>>6003864
>It's not arbitrary at all. Lots of people take that into consideration and if game is too short you have it listed at cons right now and back then in video games magazines in retro era.
I meant your observation that the genre (I guess you meant 3D shooters) is flawed because the games tend to be short.
I could understand it if it was like a 20 min game with 4 levels, there were some like those.
But 11 or 12 missions (plus training, which is more like a score attack mode and not a boring tutorial) seems reasonable enough to me.
Also, have in mind some games with extra length are criticized, too. If a game takes too long and it starts getting same-y isn't ideal.
>If I have a simple game that does not change anything after 15 minutes
Are we talking about the same game? GITS throws you in an open area the first level, then to a closed sewers level for you to experiment with the ceiling walking element too, and of course has a completely different design than the first level, then you go to an open area level again but this time with vertical elements that get into play.
There you have at least 15 minutes and it keeps changing or adding stuff every time. It also continues adding new elements, such as the rail-shooter levels or the city level where you have to fight the camo cyborg around.
I don't know why do you expect the game to keep changing though, most games, unless it's a mini-game collection, presents you with its mechanics and then for the most part "doesn't change". So if you meant in terms of mechanics and controls, yeah, it doesn't change, it doesn't have upgrades or experience leveling. But I like it simple, dashing around while shooting is good enough, which is what Fuchikomas do anyway.
Have you played the PS2 GITS game? It has a Tachikoma level. That's a good way to realize how good Exact was making the controls for this game taking the Fuchikoma's design into account, if you haven't realized just by playing it the first time.

>> No.6004009
File: 2.75 MB, 1278x974, GITS.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6003864
(cont.)
About the difficulty, it's not a hard game, but I don't agree that it's too easy either, sure if you know what you're doing you can plow through the game, and I actually like that because it's still non-stop action all the way through.
If the boss on the 2nd level doesn't work, then the time-limit 3rd mission will stop most players who play it the first time though.
>There doesn't seem much to train on in GINS, it's not tetris.
Yeah, GITS it's not a multiplayer falling blocks puzzle game, we agree on that.
>I'm not into speedruns. But I did have S rank.
Never talked about speedrunning, just the score.
>>6003925
>it's a good game. just not very good IMO :) and I am GINS fan.
Fair enough, I really like this game and actually can see how they could have made more missions, but since I love the controls so much, I'm fine with what we got anyway. I prefer having this really good and unique controls rather than more mediocre ones (like PS2 Tachikoma) but more levels.
I guess I got defensive, but reading back, I see you said "It's not so good", I read it as "it's not good".
>and i don't know what 1cc is.
Not that other anon but it's 1 credit clear.

>> No.6004816

>>6003986
I was speaking in general terms, not about one particular game. Since you touched the topic in general way, that judging by time length is illogical. I didn't say the game level doesn't change after 15 minutes in GITS, just in some simpler games. It's a bit longer than that.

>I don't know why do you expect the game to keep changing though, most games, unless it's a mini-game collection, presents you with its mechanics and then for the most part "doesn't change".
Most games present difficulty curve, or more advanced ways to interact with environment(even with the same controls presented in the first 5 minutes, not upgrading controls mid-term like in metroidvania), I won't go into leveling because that is just different type of gaming.
>Yeah, GITS it's not a multiplayer falling blocks puzzle game, we agree on that.
I didn't mean multiplayer. Or a particular genre. Just difficulty curve and interaction.
>Never talked about speedrunning, just the score.
Sorry if I was rude but I meant that clearing training over and over feels like speedrun to me in that particular game. There isn't much interaction, you just start polishing curves, and you have score count instead of your own timer.

>Have you played the PS2 GITS game?
I did but I didn't like it at all for some strange aesthetic reason and played 15 mins. So I can't comment on that.

>But I like it simple, dashing around while shooting is good enough, which is what Fuchikomas do anyway.
Arcade can be simple. Metal slug is just shooting and grenades after all and so on. But I'm just saying they failed to make it replayable with difficulty or something else. And it's not particularly pretty game to make up for it. Other than top-notch soundtrack.

The camo cyborg is basically the same stuff ... If they tried to make it a stealth mission then yeah. Even the boss battle in that stage is the same, circle around the dude keep distance and kill without difficulty.

I would try to make it more involving.

>> No.6004831

>>6004816
(cont.)
>"It's not so good"

Yeah sorry for that I meant: "not as good as some classics"or "not that great" . I'm not a native speaker so I don't know sometimes how to put things in perspective to subtleties.

>Also, have in mind some games with extra length are criticized, too. If a game takes too long and it starts getting same-y isn't ideal.

Yeah I'm not sure expanding psx's GINS length would improve anything. Perhaps the developes knew this, that it would require different engine. For me it's even a tad too long, I didn't feel anything after first half.

And yeah it seems they tried out every variation and even repeated some. moving back and forth in sewer boss. rail shooters, invsibility(that kinda failed IMO), two bosses at once, more faster jumping and sliding one.... even mini platforming section when you had to make 2 good jumps. I don't see ways in which this could be expanded by additional levels alone. The controls/hit detection are too simple perhaps to introduce difficulty and bullet hell. I am not an engine and game development expert but It just feels like it.

>> No.6004836

>>6004831
>The controls/hit detection are too simple perhaps
I meant something else by 'simple'. I mean about overall fluidity of things combined.

>> No.6005063

>>6001950
>Aaaaaah not enough kawai in the world!
Fuck of Incel.

>> No.6005071

>>6005063
Took you a couple days to come up with that one, did it.