[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 398 KB, 878x900, kusoge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5995210 No.5995210 [Reply] [Original]

I think everyone's got em. Games that scored really middling reviews, or are maligned by people as being terrible. Bonus points if they actually are terrible, and not just misunderstood.

Everyone has that game that they have a soft spot for, regardless of all the bullshit, difficulty spikes, glitches, or incompetent devs. Hell, sometimes it makes the game more enjoyable because of those things.

What's that game for you?

>> No.5995216
File: 2.22 MB, 2100x1532, bad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For me, it has to be Earthworm Jim 3D.

>> No.5995218

yoshi story. just listen to the ost. you have a hard time finding one track that isn't a banger.

failed because average gamer has the psychology of an old person in a retirement home and needs goals to be motivated.

>> No.5995237

>>5995218
I can respect that. It's a decently fun game that you can complete multiple times in an afternoon, and it has enough levels to make replay value pretty alluring.

Recently a YouTuber uploaded the Super Happy mixes of every song in the game, because they've never been released on an actual soundtrack that people can purchase. Definitely worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/Z_TTeFY8bHQ

>> No.5995240
File: 7 KB, 632x409, gc16.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ghost Chaser for C64

>> No.5995247
File: 8 KB, 169x217, Interplay LOTR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995210
The game is this weird hybrid of RPG and adventure game. You run around with the Fellowship of the Ring, starting in Bag End with Frodo, Sam, and Pippin, and you try to make your way to the end of Fellowship intact.

The problems are manifold: Most obstacles are of the nature where you use the skill or appropriate object to bypass it. If there's a chasm, use Jump to get across. If there's a sealed stone slab, use a prybar to work it open. If there's a pack of orcs, kill them. But nothing ever scales to party size or composition or anything. If you have one guy with the Jump skill, you are suddenly able to get over any chasm without any difficulty. As you get more people and acquire more items and skills, you get fewer and fewer things that can meaningfully hurt you, and by the time you get to Rivendell, you should be essentially invincible.

All that being said, there's stuff I absolutely love about it. It discourages grinding, since rewards are scripted; you'll get a stat boost for turning in a quest or finding a magic pool or something, not for chopping up your 542nd orc. It encourages you to avoid fights wherever possible and stick to the objective, which I think should be encouraged more in RPGs. They also, more than anyone I've ever seen before or since, grokked Tolkien's world. They didn't just slavishly reproduce the books, they did add stuff, but the stuff they added fits thematically. You'll find athelas on the west end of old Dunedain ruins. Elves will bitch about the various 'ethnic' distinctions between them. They even put some of Tolkien's constructed languages into the game (There's an area where you can read some old Arthedain tomb inscriptions. If someone in the party has Numenorean Lore, you get the names and a brief mention of their lives in English. If not, you get it in Quenya) In some ways I wish they had put the effort into making a game that worked, but I really admire the effort they obviously put into this.

>> No.5997512
File: 98 KB, 800x556, empire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995210
Anyone who plays this game knows that it's fucked up for sure, but I have always liked it anyways.

>> No.5997525
File: 346 KB, 540x307, xFFTtSx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995210
Deadly Towers. I love the music. I've never beaten it but it's a fun way to kill a few hours. The only real issue is normal fodder type enemies take at least a dozen or more hits. Also you will need to make a map, or download one, if you ever hope to complete it. All said, it's comfy fun.

>> No.5997584

>>5995247
Sounds pretty good desu

>> No.5997918
File: 74 KB, 420x392, review-biblesadventuresnes-big-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Throwing a stackful of large animals into a giant boat made Noah a gigachad in my eyes. Look at this fucker.

>> No.5997925
File: 13 KB, 211x239, metroid_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5998717
File: 113 KB, 640x897, gen_haunting_starring_polterguy_p_w1mvv6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I bought this shit.
New.

>> No.5998765

Warcraft 1, although praised in its day, seems to dismissed as outdated garbage by RTS fans. I think it "holds up" fine, and the lack of modern RTS conveniences just forces you to play it differently. I like the tension of not being able to just simultaneously select a dozen units and spam them to attack/defend.

>> No.5998904

>>5998765
Same here. The comparisons to later games in the genre do it no credit. It's a perfectly fun game by its own merits and it has an awesome aesthetic.

>> No.5998917

>>5995210
>Dreamcast comes out
>Poorfag
>No, for real, poor as fuck
>Dad takes me to the store and pays cash we could never dream to spend on it
>Sonic Adventure
>It blew my mind, the graphics, sound, gameplay, all on that shiny new console
>All my poorfag friends from school came home and thought it was fucking amazing

I never understood the hate meme on this game. Maybe some e-celeb or something.

Also the Dreamcast as a whole gets way more hate than it deserves. The last time we had arcade-perfect games was the NeoGeo. I've played thousands of hours on the DC and still have my working console to this day (as many others). Such a wonderful library of fighting games, shmups (Try the Mars Matrix version, it's fucking amazing), online shooters like Unreal Tournament and Quake III, amazing racing games for the time like Metropolis Street Racer. Ah, that was some sick shit.

>> No.5999596

>>5998717
Fucking love this game! Great purchase man.