[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 43 KB, 342x341, 71WTlcU5KvL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5985045 No.5985045 [Reply] [Original]

Is this the best retro Yugioh game?

>> No.5985057

ye

although god damn did the A.I. pull some shit

>> No.5985146

>>5985045
Yeah. Im still real heavy on playing yugioh but the simplfied og rules they used in this was so fun.

>> No.5985256

If only the game had more fusions covering all monster types in a balanced manner, allied with a non cheating AI that was just a tad more clever, then it would be a really solid game. The guardian stars system is simple but gives the game some depth that I could even see being fun on a pvp match (provided the monsters available were more balanced).
As it is, its aesthetics and soundtrack alone are enough to make the gameplay enjoyable.

>> No.5985264

>>5985256
I make this anon's words mine but I'd also add that even a simple change in droprates, starchip costs and no unobtainable cards would already make this a great game.

>> No.5985280

It's an RNG hell to win but you know you don't have to beat the game every time you play.

>> No.5985786

Forbidden Memories sucks. The only strategy involved is using the fusion system, which is a nightmare of trial and error. Even then, the best strategy is to fuse THTD as much as possible. The drop system is impossibly unintuitive and a huge grind, you're basically required to use a guide if you ever want to see Widespread Ruin, Megamorph, MBD, or any other card which is actually useful. The AI is dumb as shit and cheats, on top of using overpowered cards which you can't even obtain.
The game's biggest problem is that 99% of the time you're just optimizing for highest ATK. There are no monster effects to worry about and usually no tricky spell or trap card effects(the few there are just destroy monsters). Playing this game is like if you asked for french fries and the chef dug a potato out of the ground and dropped it on your plate. Sure you can eat it, but at least put some spices on it or some shit.
Some of the other retro Yu-Gi-Oh games seem to be pretty similar to Forbidden Memories so I haven't tried them. I'd guess that at least one of the Monster Capsule games is better than Forbidden Memories, but I haven't played either of them(both are JP only).
Including non-retro, the Yu-Gi-Oh game I've enjoyed most is WCT2006. There's probably another one with more cards that's better. It's sad that Konami just adapts the card game every other year. I'd like to see more unusual Yu-Gi-Oh games like Duelists of the Roses.

>> No.5985806
File: 722 KB, 445x649, NeedleWall-LCJW-EN-C-1E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5985045
World Championship 2006, Stairway to Destined Duel, and Sacred Cards are the prime GBA Yugioh trilogy.

>> No.5986250

>>5985806
Fuck any Yu-Gi-Oh game that doesn't follow the rules of the TCG. Those are automatically incapable of being good in my eyes.

>> No.5986259

>>5986250
This. I'm a competitive yugioh player, and almost every yugioh game sucks.

Except DuelingBook. But is not official, so its whatever

>> No.5986359

The best YGO games I've played
>Eternal Duelist Soul - it's nothing but grinding but if you want to really understand what the game was like around Metal Raiders era, this is your game. Old school at its purest, for better or worse
>GX Duel Academy - comfy game where you role play as a student at a school focused on YGO (living the dream), goes through the first season of the anime but you don't need to really worry about it
>World Championship 2006 - all those GBA YGO games led up to this. No walking around a city like in 2005 but it has CONTENT. Doesn't pull its punches either, with the exception of Kuriboh the duelists have near optimized decks and you need to have your shit together to best them. All sorts of extra content too like challenges, surviving a gauntlet of duels without losing, etc. Uses real packs which I have a soft spot for. Also pretty much the Goat Format old school YGO players love
>2011/2012 - I don't remember which but it's 5D's and on the DS. Kind of a dumb story mode but this Syncro right before XYZ era was neat
>Tag Force - haven't played them much but the most recent one has a full English patch and is fun
>Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution - literally your only option in terms of official games if you want to do anything with Links/the new rules, also most of the pendulum era. Nothing but endless duels but that's okay. Shit ton of cards and YGO is extremely different from how it was back in the day

>> No.5986367
File: 77 KB, 165x235, BlueeyesWhiteDragon-FMR-EN-VG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5986359
>>5985806

Based. World Championship 2006 and Stairway are my go-to when I want to kick it old school with my beatstick monsters. In 2006 there was enough support for fairly competent Dark Magician themed decks which is extremely cozy.

Forbidden Memories is shit and playing with Shadow attribute completely destroys any semblance of challenge. When a Kuriboh can defeat pic related, your Yugioh game is a joke. The rules were already clearly established, no one asked for this dumbass element/fusion system.

>> No.5986375
File: 130 KB, 397x399, 1572688447883.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dude I love waiting 10 seconds any time any action is made for the cursor to sweep the entire fucking field at a snail's pace

Which is actually just an animation that could have been disabled since all the calculations are done immediately

Why do developers very deliberately waste my time?

>> No.5986536

Yes it's great and I hate it so much how do I play it. Nothing makes sense and I get btfoed always once a few into the tournament.

>> No.5986542
File: 12 KB, 512x448, 1572620212451.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5986375
Make a mod for it. I'd love it.

>> No.5987681

>>5986359
I love Eternal Duelist Soul; even at the TCG's birth you could do a lot of the broken shit that would become the meta now (just in a much slower, and easier to follow, pace). Best strategy in that game IIRC was to dump a ton of strong monsters in the GY and then special summon them with monster reborn/premature/haunted as beatsticks, and also throw in catapult turtle for sustained burn damage. Oh you used Delinquent Duo? How cute, you willingly lost 1K LP and helped my graveyard out.

Also I remember one GBA game where even fucking Tristan had a good deck. I was surprised to see him drop out Meteor B Dragon and have a backrow of defense, considering in Dark Duel Stories he is objectively the weakest duelist with the weakest cards that I'm positive it's impossible to lose to him unless you just don't try.

>> No.5987768

>>5985045
Forbidden Memories is a cool concept but the gameplay was shit ass.

>> No.5987775

>>5986542
Fuck it. I hate the game but I might as well make it enjoyable for people who do like it.

>> No.5987797
File: 38 KB, 480x320, 26-mQ5Zpph.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5986542
I don't know how to do it for Forbidden Memories, but in Reshef of Destruction, all you have to do is set RAM address 0x02021C08 to anything other than 0 with a cheat code. If you know how Gameshark or Codebreaker works, you can make that into a code yourself.

This disables both the cursor sweep and any text boxes during your own turn, but aside from a few graphical problems, there's no effect on gameplay.

The game is still the least fun game of all time.

>> No.5987892

>>5987797
Reshef is the game where most of the opponents you face have significantly better monsters than yours, and if they beat your strongest they will steamroll you? I still remember trying reshef a few months ago and rebecca equips megamorph (a generic +500 ATK/DEF spell) on a FACEDOWN monster. Jesus, at least in Dark Duel Stories, the game would actually tell you what monster was equipped, and monsters were 'revealed' when equipped with anything.

>> No.5987926
File: 122 KB, 474x426, 12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5987892
Yes, Reshef is a horrible game, and for many more reasons than just that.
>Cards work based on Deck Capacity points, of which you get 3 for each unique duel, and 1 for each duel you can do multiple times
>You have to ante a card for every duel, but it can't be unique cards(?)
>Attributes are brought back and are even worse
>LIFE POINTS DON'T RESET AFTER DUELS, you have to slog back to your house/save point to restore them

>> No.5987932

>>5987926
I've read about the infamy Reshef caused, as if Konami read the complaints about Sacred Cards and made a harder version of it. I guess them putting that wimp Yugi on the cover instead of the badass Pharaoh should've been a clue.

>> No.5987984

>>5986259
>comp player
>can't come up with a meta for a game with a rudimentary interpretation of the TCG

Thunder dragons were meta in forbidden memories, as they are now.

>> No.5987987

>>5986250
>>5986259
Look G, The Sacred Cards is weird but it is an *experience*. Just think of it as a JRPG card game and you'll appreciate it much more. It's not something you replay or continue sinking hours in after you beat it, but you'll remain fond of the time you spent with it after all is said and done.

>> No.5987997

>>5986359
>Doesn't pull its punches either, with the exception of Kuriboh the duelists have near optimized decks and you need to have your shit together to best them.
Lol you're making it sound harder than it really was. The duels are fun but not balls-to-the-wall challenging. Hardest thing is the duel puzzles.

>> No.5988072
File: 105 KB, 300x297, MC-VideoGameJP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5985045
Close

>> No.5988002

>>5987797
>>5987892
>>5987926
>>5987932
Why was Reshef of Destruction worse than The Sacred Cards?
I know it was, but I'm not sure why. Did you all just sum it up right here?

>> No.5988004

>>5987926
god fucking reshef
>Its a slog to grind DC to use good cards
>Its a slog to grind money to buy better cards
>Late game opponents start with more than 8000 LP
>Late gane opponents straight up fucking cheat and run 3 copies of cards you can only run 1 of
I remember Marik being a huge brick wall for me.

>> No.5988008

>>5988002
Way too difficult. Even if you cheat the final bosses can still kick your ass.

>> No.5988114

>>5988072
>only real one on the cover is Blue Eyes
this looks like an American SMB2 situation

>> No.5988262

>>5988114
Pretty confident that game came out before there even was a real world TCG, it was based on the manga. Makes sense they'd just make up most of the creatures in the game, they barely had anything to base them off of.

>> No.5988265

>>5987997
They aren't super crazy hard but you do have to know what you're doing to consistently win, if you're a dumbshit 10 year old who barely understands the game you will get bodied constantly. You generally need a higher level of strategy and competence than in other YGO games of the era to beat all your opponents. Just compare to something like 2005 where most opponents in the game are retarded literally whos with mediocre at best beatdown decks

>> No.5988372

>>5988072
>breed and battle
what a life

>> No.5988389

>>5988262
You're correct - the Original Card Game (distinct from the American Trading Card Game) was launched by Konami in 1999. Just figured you'd enjoy being right on in your intuition.

>> No.5988398

>>5988389
Less intuition and more vague memories of researching YGO games for no particular reason

>> No.5988424
File: 62 KB, 480x320, 22-MdMS2fV.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5988002
(1/2)
Okay, I'm gonna effortpost because I have no life and nothing better to do. Here's some more reasons the game is bad. If you ask me, Konami had some genuine ill will towards their players, which is a God damn shame because there were some extremely obscure manga references and characters like pic related and story beats that would seriously appeal to hardcore Yu-Gi-Oh! fans. You get to duel a fucking robot monkey. It's awesome. Anyway.

>If you lose too many duels - and you WILL lose - you run the risk of running out of cards to ante.
>Permanent Effect cursor sweeps the entire board after every attack, discard, summon, card draw, turn start, turn end, etc etc, and takes 2 actual seconds every time (although >>5987797 provides a solution, we didn't have that on release), but that's not the worst part...
>...If the Permanent Effect actually, God forbid, FINDS an effect, it will display an unskippable text box explaining that effect...every single sweep. Lord help you if there are multiple effects on the board.
>Your Duelist Level goes up by 1 for every 3 Deck Capacity points you earn. >>5987926 explained how much is gained from each duel. You start off at around level 72 or so. Want cards with more than 500ATK points? Get grinding, faggot.
>Duelist Level comes into play because every card has a cost to put in your deck with often nonsensical costs in relation to strength. Labyrinth Wall has a requirement of Duelist Level 585.
>Ritual Monsters have been reduced to Normal Monsters and all have a cost of 999. For some fucking reason. Not to mention the cost of BUYING it.
>You earn a pittance for every battle. One of the first battles in the game? 67 Domino. The money earned barely ever breaks 4 digits, and when you enter a card password, unlike other Yu-Gi-Oh! games, you're expected to shell out ingame money for it. To buy a card with a measly 900ATK points, expect to shell out 3000D.

>> No.5988425
File: 35 KB, 480x320, 68-image108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(2/3) (it ended up being longer, actually!)
>Traps and spells that were useful in Sacred Cards are nerfed to shit when you actually need them
>Change of Heart? Permanently steals one of your monsters. Get fucked.
>At one point in the game, you have to fight 5 opponents in a row. Without saving. And there's no way to refill your LP between duels. Good luck?
>Even later, you fight two opponents that have 10,000LP. And then two more who have 15,000LP. Without saving. Without LP refills. Also their decks are direct damage based. Good luck???
>Marik has three copies of Monster Reborn. Swords of Revealing Light. Widespread Ruin. Need I say more?
>Even LATER in the game, you have to go back and find the 6 Super Duper Magical cards to reveal the identity of impostors. To do this, you need to challenge 6 duelists the imposters are imitating, and then duel them AGAIN to get their super special favorite card. If you don't, you're forced into a purgatory hell of neverending opponents if you try to move forward.
>Want Winged Dragon of Ra to go Phoenix Mode? It's a password. You have to enter a secret password. Not found in the game, or even alluded to. Get fucked even harder. The ID code isn't the code from the TCG, either, so tough tits.
>Second to last boss? Pegasus with an eyepatch. He has 20,000LP. Again. 3 copies of Relinquished, and now there's no Ritual Summon required. No LP recovery beforehand.
>After that, you get to seal Reshef away forever, and end the game. Just kidding. He has 40,000LP, 3 of the most broken cards in the game, and all 3 God cards. Obelisk can inflict 4000 direct damage, and Battle Mode Ra is an auto-win if he has more LP left than you do and if you lose you have to face Pegasus again.
>Congratulations! You beat the game!

>> No.5988427
File: 40 KB, 480x320, 37-image045.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(3/3)
>...
>Just kidding. There's extra post-game bosses you can fight, 8 of them 9 if you entered the password, including that faggot Noah.
>Shadi, Simon, Pegasus and Joey all begin with 30,000LP. Dark Yugi, Dark Bakura, Dark Marik, Seto Kaiba, and Noah Kaiba all begin with 60,000LP.
>Their cards include 3 copies each of Change of Heart, Monster Reborn, Megamorph, Pot of Greed, Harpie's Feather Duster, Swords of Revealing Light, and Torrential Tribute. Get Super Ultra Mega fucked 64.

I cannot see a legitimate reason to play this game beyond experiencing the admittedly fun novelty of the storyline which can be experienced in its entirety elsewhere. This game is a giant middle finger from Konami to you. Konami wants you to remember that they fucking HATE you.

>> No.5988473

>>5987797
>>5987892
>>5987926
>>5987932
>>5988004
>>5988424
>>5988425
>>5988427
Somebody actually made a hack of Reshef to make it "tolerable"
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w6z2fg73di6envd/ReshefIsActuallyTolerableNow.zip
Initial info here:
https://lparchive.org/Yu-Gi-Oh-The-Sacred-Cards-(by-Ephraim225)/Update%2015/
The first link is the update, from Reddit
>UPDATE: I've made a couple alterations to the patch. First, the Limited/Semi-Limited lists were removed, so you no longer have to deal with that. The CPU doesn't, why should you? Second, a bug was fixed involving permanent effects activated in the graveyard, HOWEVER, if you are using monsters with permanent effects, it's now recommended to push B twice before making an attack so that the screen updates the ATK/DEF it's displaying. I'm not a perfect coder, so I had to make a choice between this minor inconvenience and fixing a hilariously bad bug. Sorry!
>Oh yes, and there are two patches in the download now. ReshefIsActuallyTolerableNow.ips is the latest version with all the changes below, and the other patch is for people who ONLY want the Permanent Effect fixes, and NO OTHER GAMEPLAY CHANGES. For a more...."pure" experience.

>> No.5988638

>>5988114
Tyhone got chibified but it does exist.

>> No.5988707

>>5988427
I actually liked it bc it challenged your problem solving skills and made you play around shit while being ygo related.
They even included an "in-game cheat" with Phoenix Mode Ra which you could discard from your hand to get a free normal Ra but I guess you gotta get that far to begin with.
Anyway, it´s a rough game that makes you work and I wouldn´t recommend playing it without a speed up feature but it´s fun and rewarding if you have some patience and like the ygo anime.

>> No.5988795

>>5988072
The beetle warrior guy and the little puff ball were definitely featured in the manga. Not sure about the Qbert ripoff.

>> No.5988874

FM players, genuine question here: I read somewhere long ago that you can grind the lesser Meadow Sage for a copy of MBD but in a few hundred matches of beating this prick I've never once seen it drop (in any playthrough). Was 12yo me lied to?

>> No.5988917

I still don't get why Konami fucked up the starchip thing in Forbidden Memories. I'm 120% sure the starchip table was probably some Lotus 1-2-3 file or similar that got crunched into the disc, something that they could put an intern to go "ok find the pockestation cards and change the cost from 999999 to something reasonable, go"... but yet they didn't give a shit and never restored access to those cards in the western releases. Hell, the european version has some extra effort put in (they changed the card layouts to mirror the TCG one, reprogrammed the text methods to fit a different font with non-standard characters, etc) and not even THAT version got any starchip/droprate changes, and they must have had some US customers complaining about it at that point, right?

>>5988425
>Want Winged Dragon of Ra to go Phoenix Mode? It's a password. You have to enter a secret password.
To be honest I don't think the card game had a legal Ra/Obelisk at that point either so I see why it would have its own ID. Some stuff however is unexplainable, the usual "it's to stop RENTALS" explanation from Forbidden Memories goes out of the window with your post. Konami really hated its players and I like to think some boomer salaryman game planner was mad his kids were addicted to a card game or something to do that.

>> No.5989050

I wish I knew how to hack the bullshit off this game because the aesthetics, gamefeel (or whatever its called) and music are top notch. Every time I play a Yu-gi-oh game I feel sad that attacking doesn't feel as good as in this game.

>> No.5989068

>>5985264
Basically this. You've got the makings of a fun game, but it's almost impossible to get cards that are worth a damn, so the gameplay tends to just amount to rolling the dice and hoping you get a Twin Headed Thunder Dragon. Until about halfway through, at which point it becomes rolling the dice and hoping you got the Meteor Black Dragon that you spent hours grinding for.

A good number of the older Yugioh games had this problem, where the developers could only think to challenge the player by making good cards impossible to get.

>> No.5989327

I had fun with Dark Duel Stories.

>> No.5989356

>>5989050
At the very least, it's possible. There are several mods out there that do stuff like change the card drop rates to stuff like 15 or increase the difficulty even more.
How you would do so, though, is the big question.

>> No.5989358
File: 173 KB, 220x312, Yu-Gi-Oh!_The_Falsebound_Kingdom_Cover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Objectively the best

>> No.5989605

>>5989358
Kaiba looks like such a jackass with his dragon themed jacket. I liked his pompous rich douche look in the og manga and his edgelord trenchcoat in duelist kingdom.

>> No.5989948

>>5989327
DDS is a shit waste of time. No soul like FM, and EDS is basically the same thing but better and with actual TCG mechanics

>> No.5989959

>>5989948
I like how EDS reuses Solomons theme from DDS, and I like how DDS' best tracks were arrangements of FMR tracks.

>> No.5990020

>>5989959
>setting to Solomon in EDS
>with that calendar system
nobody got time for that

>> No.5990026

>>5990020
meant getting, whoops i exposed myself as a phoneposter please dont downvote

>> No.5990028

>>5990020
It's a shame since Solomon is probably the most fun opponent in the game.

>> No.5990050

Any game where you can fight Copycat is in contention for the best YGO game, any game where you can't fight Copycat isn't worth considering
I'm not talking fighting your own deck, that's stupid and a pointless inclusion, I mean when you can face any of your recipes. Want to re-experience old metas? You can with Copycat. Want to fight tournament winning decks and see if you can beat them? You can with Copycat. Want to make the most stupidly overpowered deck possible and see if you can beat it? You can with Copycat. Copycat is such a valuable inclusion that I don't see why it isn't in every YGO game. Link Evolution has like 200 different individual decks to face but you can't fight one of your own recipes. Fucking why?

>> No.5990061

>>5990050
Based and redpilled. Part of the fun of playing Yu-Gi-Oh! games is that they''re automated and they take less time than placing cards down on a mat. Without copycat you can't face yourself realistically because you know what cards you've laid down. You're not going to fall for your own trap. If you want to see the flaws in your own deck, fighting against it is fantastic.

>> No.5990063

>>5990050
>Want to re-experience old metas? You can with Copycat. Want to fight tournament winning decks and see if you can beat them? You can with Copycat. Want to make the most stupidly overpowered deck possible and see if you can beat it? You can with Copycat

The better question is, does the AI know what to do? I'm sure most of the key cards have been banned or limited at this point, but suppose I gave it a deck FULL of high ATK monsters like BEWD, Cosmo Queen, etc, a couple of graceful charities/cheerful coffins/magic jammers, catapult turtle, and monster reborn/premature burial/call of the haunted/shallow grave. Will it know to dump the strong cards to the GY and then special summon them with the spells, and will it optimize the catapult turtle burn damage?

>> No.5990067

>>5990063
Depends on what game we're talking about, some of them have pretty competent AI. Since Copycat is endgame I think it's given top-tier intelligence. But I guess I haven't really tried using Copycat with decks that function in usual ways so I can't say.

>> No.5990074

>>5990067
Yugioh (and other card games) I imagine is probably the hardest game for an AI to learn and play.

>> No.5990076

>>5990074
Not YGO but humorous aside
In Pokemon TCG 2, the AI doesn't know what to do with the card Challenge:
>Ask your opponent if he or she accepts your challenge. If your opponent declines (or if both Benches are full), draw 2 cards. If your opponent accepts, each of you searches your decks for any number of Basic Pokémon cards and puts them face down onto your Benches. (A player can't do this if his or her Bench is full.) When you both have finished, shuffle your decks and turn those cards face up.
so it just declines literally every time and it turns the card into 4 more copies of Bill

>> No.5990081

>>5990076
In eternal duelist soul, the AI will continue to play spell cards when Imperial Order is active, even if it was the one who activated imperial order. It becomes hilarious when you see it use heavy storm, fails, feather duster, fails, raigeki, fails, dark hole, fails, pot of greed, fails, and so on. Even hilariously, if it has imperial order active and magic jammer set, and you activate a spell card, it will negate it with magic jammer, even if it has no effect. EDS also has a few weird bugs in how some cards work, too; apparently Toon World also has a maintenance cost of 500 lp per turn, and you get refunded what you paid when you decline the maintenance. If you get attacked, activate mirror force, they activate seven tools, and you activate solemn, mirror force will destroy the attacking monster but also act as if your monster, which was attacked, attacks your opponent directly and they lose life points. If you SS Sangan/Witch from the GY with call of the haunted, there's a chance that its effect activates twice, allowing you to search two monsters.

>> No.5990089

>>5990081
My favorite is using Snatch Steal to take one of your opponent's monsters and then use Giant Trunade, Snatch Steal goes back to your hand but your opponent's monster isn't returned to them. Pretty cool combo really but obviously it doesn't work like that in the real game

>> No.5990096

>>5990089
I feel like Snatch Steal is only banned because of the "your opponent gains 1000 LP per turn" effect, which turns into consistent burn damage with simochi. Had it just been "you lose 1000LP per turn" it would've been at 3 easily, limited at most. Same with Upstart Goblin.

>> No.5990098

>>5988424
>>5988425
>>5988427
Thanks a bunch for the rundown.

>> No.5990107

>>5990096
Upstart became good because it basically just turned your 40 card deck into a 37 card deck and it could be splashed into any deck that didn't need those last three spots, Simochi is a meme so people usually didn't use it for that specific purpose
Snatch Steal is banned because it's bullshit

>> No.5990116

>>5990107
I feel like anti-cure decks may have played a role in getting it banned. Change of Heart is a lesser version without the heal (burn?) effect yet it's banned too, though due to it targeting and loads of monsters these days having target immunity it may soon be powercrept.

>> No.5990118

>>5990116
Cards where you grab one of your opponent's monsters, even if just for 1 turn, for basically no downside at all, are pretty much bullshit. Maybe in a slower format like 02-03 they were okay at 1 or 2, but when the game started getting faster they just become cancer.

>> No.5990130
File: 300 KB, 309x450, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5990118
Ironically, the slower format is where they would be the strongest, you had to plan to get your big beatstick out, but your opponent takes it for one turn to potentially ruin your plan. Bonus points if they tribute it so that it's no longer a threat. I also noticed that a lot of super powerful, no cost cards like monster reborn, pog, etc, had their own balancing factor in that they were limited to just one per deck. Honestly, what if Konami brought back some forbidden cards strictly to sell reprints? For example, Change of Heart is set to limited for the Septemper 2012 format just to promote its LCYW reprint, and then banned the following format. It would fuck with the balance and the meta but fuck it, the goal is to make money isn't it?

>> No.5990135

>>5990130
Most players already have copies of iconic cards like that anyway and if they don't they don't need to buy reprints because the cards have been in circulation and already reprinted so many times that earlier printings are dirt cheap. Also Monster Reborn is back to 1 afaik, it's actually balanced now by your opponent's deck probably not having any cards worth grabbing to begin with since they won't fit with your strategy.

>> No.5990140

>>5990118
Have you played the game recently? Monster stealing cards aren't viable in the slightest due to how interchangeable monsters are in the current metagame, not to mention the target immunity another anon pointed out.
Yu-Gi-Oh! is no longer played by getting your one, super powerful boss monster out and then sweeping the opponent's board. Monster stealing cards are now an annoyance at best.

>> No.5990146

>>5990140
You can still use them to make Links and shit

>> No.5990154

>>5990135
I still can't get over Brain Control's errata of "take control of an opponent's monster that can be normal summoned". Like who the fuck still uses normal summons anymore? Could you imagine if the cards had their anime, or god forbid duelist kingdom effects? For example Change of Heart would take control of a monster permanently, Brain Control would just take control for 1 turn, card of safe return allows you to draw 3 cards for each GY SS, etc.

>>5990140
Ye Olde boss monsters were high ATK monsters that often had a powerful effect as well, but were still immune to battle and card effects. Modren boss monsters not only have high stats but also include built in negation effects, immunity, and floating capabilities, making them a massive pain in the ass. I don't care about new strategies and new summoning techniques, I care that so many top monsters are near indestructible death machines.

>> No.5990158

>>5990154
>but were still immune to battle and card effects.
I meant vulnerable, whoops. If you opponent got FGD out, you better hope you get dark hole or raigeki ready, and hope he doesn't have a negation trap set.

>> No.5990182

>>5990154
If we're talking anime effects that are bullshit, look no further than Crush Card Virus.

>Activate only when a monster with 1000 or less ATK is destroyed by battle from your side of the field. You take no Battle Damage from the battle involving the destroyed monster. Check your opponent's side of the field, their hand, and all cards they draw for the remainder of the Duel. Destroy all monsters with 1500 or more ATK and send them to the Graveyard. While this card is in your Graveyard, your opponent cannot Special Summon those monsters from the Graveyard.

Later on, after Duelist Kingdom, but before GX, it turns into this.

>Activate only when a DARK monster with 1000 or less ATK is destroyed by battle from your side of the field. Your opponent destroys all monsters with 1500 ATK or more on their side of the field and in their hand and Deck. (Damage calculation is applied normally.) Those monsters cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. If this card is not in your Graveyard, negate this effect.

>> No.5990874

>>5988874
The chance of it dropping is less than 1% if I'm not mistaken.
The fastest strategy though is grinding for equip and field cards, running Pegasus and Isis and going for high-grade Tec wins, where the drop rates are better. Since you have six consecutive duels in the final stretch, the best strategy is to create the most consistent deck possible. Going for max MBD is too much of a time sink compared to the other method, and it still is subpar if you only have only one equip card.

>> No.5991046

It's very good though I think I never won the last battles.
The other day I found I've got the War of the Roses game for PS2, does anyone know if it's good?

>> No.5991073 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.78 MB, 1280x720, 1572891663228.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if you guys like forbiden memories you gonna love my game

>> No.5991105

>>5990154
>Like who the fuck still uses normal summons anymore?
Are you implying people don't normal summon? Because the top deck in the meta right now can't play through a compulse.

>> No.5991541

>>5991073
>3 zones
yikes

>> No.5991929

>>5991073
The fuck

>> No.5991946

>>5991073
fuckin kek

>> No.5992153

>>5991541
duel links has 3 zones and its the best yugioh game

>> No.5992159

>>5992153
This may be the most retarded thing I've ever read.

>> No.5992371

>>5992159
ygo pro isnt a fun video game nerd

>> No.5992389

>>5992371
I've never played YGO Pro.

>> No.5992397

>>5985045
Not even just Yu-Gi-Oh: it was one of the best PSX games.

>> No.5992407

>>5992389
what's wrong with duel links, its nice and fast paced just don't play the pvp and its the same shit as anything else really.

>> No.5992465

>>5992407
>fast paced
wtf you think this a good thing

>> No.5992523

>>5990130
>the goal is to make money isn't it?

Yes. The only real yugioh game is a simulator where you own unlimited copies of all cards and can experiment freely with decks and duel people. "Collectible" part of the card game is just masturbation over enticing card art

>> No.5992554

>>5992407
It's a gacha game you dummy. Also the only mode it has is Speed Duel, making it basically a completely different game from the TCG.

>> No.5992639

>>5992554
wow no shit just like forbidden memories, and duelist of the roses hmmmmm. how is a gacha mechanic any different from drop rates on forbidden memories?

>>5992465
yeah you burn players are total faggots

>> No.5992643

>>5992639
I don't like any of the games you just mentioned. You don't have to spend IRL money to get more cards in FM.

>> No.5992650

>>5992639
>yeah you burn players are total faggots
mill you ADHD gaylord

>> No.5992651

>>5992643
you dont have to spend money to get cards in duel links i had meteor black dragon back in 2017 without spending a dime. If I wanted to play the tcg i would just play the tcg, games are nice cause they offer something unique

>> No.5992717

>>5992407
Duel Links would unironically be my favorite Yugioh game aside from the 5D's Tag Force entries if there was a free duel mode separate from the regular game that just let you do character duels with character decks.

The fact it has so many characters and is still adding more, Japanese voices and voice lines for card's we've never heard before and interactions for characters/fanservicey stuff, if there was a way to play that didn't involve grinding forever to make basic character themed decks, I'd love it.

>> No.5992746

>>5992651
>you dont have to spend money to get cards in duel links
If you want all the cards or 3 copies of all the cards or even just a specific card and you happen to get RNG, you will have to spend money. That's just how gacha games work. You will get some good stuff on occasion, but you won't have even half of all the good stuff unless you pay up. I've been playing Dokkan Battle for 4 years and I don't have any room in my life for other gachashit.

>> No.5992775

Stop talking about Duel Links and start talking more about actual retro games, thanks.

>> No.5992805

>>5992775
The only /vr/ Yu-Gi-Oh games that exist are FM, the one or two other PS1 YGO games and the shitty Game Boy games

>> No.5992807

>>5992805
Yes, so talk about those.

>> No.5992812
File: 79 KB, 500x500, darkduelstories.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5992807
This game sucks. It's not fun to play and it's boring. Making your own cards using monster parts was kind of neat though. It was kind of amusing as a kid because there wasn't really any other option for portable YGO but isn't worth playing now.
Okay, I'm all out of ideas.

>> No.5992817

>>5992812
Thank you very much.

>> No.5992823

>>5992805
6th gen

>> No.5992846

>>5992823
We're talking about retro games here, anon.

>> No.5992850

>>5992812
It had some really nice secrets like some hidden monster effects. The Cocoon of Evolution is listed as a normal monster but it instantly transforms into a Great Moth in the following turn making it one of the best cards of the game.

>> No.5992854

>>5992846
Yes

>> No.5992857

>>5992854
I don't remember any Yu-Gi-Oh games for the Dreamcast, though.

>> No.5992858

>>5992857
>>5992857
that's okay, there's plenty more to talk about; trying giving the thread a read if you haven't already---good discussions you missed

>> No.5992861

>>5992858
Those aren't retro games, though.

>> No.5992867

>>5988707
Problem solving skills? Playing this game is the equivalent of playing your shitty friend who constantly cheats and then makes fun of you and calls you a huge stupid loser for not being able to beat him, when he's not even playing by the rules.

>> No.5992871

>>5992861
Says you and no one else.

>> No.5992875

>>5992871
Can you not read? >>1392415

>> No.5992883

>>5992875
That's 5 years old, fuck it.

>> No.5992884

>>5992871
Retard.

>> No.5992885

>>5992883
If it had changed then they would have made a new sticky, you dumbo. Sixth gen is not retro except for the Dreamcast, by the rules of the board you're posting on. You can disagree but the point stands that that's the official stance of the board and your opinion doesn't matter in this case.

>> No.5992887

>>5992884
>>5992885
Don't care.

>> No.5992891

>>5992887
You need to go back.

>> No.5992892

>>5992887
>>5992891
Guys, seriously, get a room.
Retro, tho.

>> No.5992896

>>5992891
You need to stfu.

>> No.5992902
File: 348 KB, 624x409, coolkid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5992892
A retro room?

>> No.5992909

>>5992871
>>5992883
>>5992887
>>5992896
Being a part of a community means following rules that you may not like for the betterment of the community as a whole.

Do you know what we call people who do not follow rules just for the sake of not following rules? I'm sure you're very familiar with this word, sweetie, as you are one. We call them children.

>> No.5992914

>>5992909
Being part of a games discussion board means talking about games. But you obviously care more about cheerleading for outdated rules operating on double standards (14 years then since 5th gen ended, 14 years now since 6th gen ended).

>> No.5992919

>>5992914
>>>/v/
fuck off already

>> No.5992921

>>5992902
hmmm, I can already hear the sexy chiptune

>> No.5992923

>>5992914
The rules are the rules. If you don't like them, go back to >>>/v/. No one will miss you.

>> No.5992925 [DELETED] 

>>5992919
Do you know what we call people who follow rules just for the sake of not following rules? We call them drones.
Rather than showing off how butthurt you are, you can choose to stop replying and making a big deal out of nothing.

If it bothers you so much, leave the thread. You probably don't even give two shits about Yugioh.

>> No.5992927

>>5992919
Do you know what we call people who follow rules just for the sake of following rules? We call them drones.
Rather than showing off how butthurt you are, you can choose to stop replying and making a big deal out of nothing.

If it bothers you so much, leave the thread. You probably don't even give two shits about Yugioh.

>> No.5992928
File: 2.18 MB, 649x472, 1446327242946.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5992925
>people who follow rules just for the sake of not following rules?
Just go to /v/ already.

>> No.5992930
File: 53 KB, 640x480, 1472303768187.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This thread
boom chaka-wha chaka-wha chaka-wha

>> No.5992946

>>5992927
You haven't made a single post about Yu-Gi-Oh.

Go back.

>> No.5992951

>>5992946
I have. Cope and keep crying, you're certainly upping the thread quality.

>> No.5992956

>>5992951
Oh boy, you are too.

>> No.5992972

>>5992807
https://lparchive.org/Yu-Gi-Oh-The-Sacred-Cards-(by-Ephraim225)/Update%2005/
This goes over the GB games and the sheer sadistic design choices that Konami dreamed up.
>The exodia pieces require you to duel specific opponents 100 times. Each.

>> No.5992985
File: 27 KB, 480x320, 3-ZMuVXJK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sacred Cards looks so nice

>>5992972
neat website, you gotta appreciate the effort

>> No.5993002

>>5992972
There are several errors in that post. For example he claims that
>See that? That's Tremendous Fire. You might remember it doing 1000 direct damage in the TCG. Well, in Duel Monsters 1, it does FIVE THOUSAND damage. If you draw two of these on the first turn, you win. Nothing can stop direct damage. And you can make yourself invincible by having 36 Tremendous Fires

You can only use a one spell card per turn in Duel Monsters 1 and if you do then you can't even summon a monster.
The Dian Keto card also gives 5000 HP so a
>35xDian Keto
>1xEach part of Exodia
will win every time against that hypothetical Tremendous Fire deck.

>> No.5993008

>>5993002
If he's talking about fighting the CPU, your hypothetical will never happen. Exactly how is he wrong in that case when he's not fighting a human?

>> No.5993019

>>5993008
Against the CPU you might as well stack BEWDs. If you play on an emulator then you quickly get 20+ BEWDs anyway without cheating thanks to the copy protection.

>> No.5993394

>>5993002
I can see why he wouldn't have thought of it, since by that point it just becomes a game of stalling out Tremendous Fire until the other person draws all 5 copies of Exodia. That said, I'd be impressed if somebody actually dueled the required opponents enough to get the pieces and put together a deck specifically based around beating that deck.

>> No.5993397

>>5993394
That honestly sounds like simultaneously the most and least fun way to play Yu-Gi-Oh. At that point, just roll a dice 5 times and see who gets the highest number.

>> No.5995025

>>5988072
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBWa14Ecek

>> No.5995052
File: 894 KB, 960x480, yugioh - 1536335636226.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's you guy's favorite kind of deck? Strategy, archetype, or otherwise.

>> No.5995069

>>5986375
>Why do developers very deliberately waste my time?
hmmm, almost like you're playing a shitty game made by shitty devs that are trying to extend its length artificially

>> No.5995471

>>5992867
Yeah. In the begining you have to consider the mix of creatures with power vs weak ones with elements that counter the specific story opponent you´re facing plus which spells to take. After getting several of the gods however it´s pretty much all about getting those on the field with the 2 for 1 creatures like Trap Master.

>> No.5995556

>>5995052
>Classic
A shitload of broken spells and big beaters like everyone else.
>GX
Cyber Dragons
>5Ds
Synchron/Yusei.dek
>Zexal
I liked Ultimate Offering Gadget before it got banned.
>Arc-V
I played a lot of decks here, but favored Shaddoll and Pendulum Magicians.
>Vrains
Haven't done much with the game since Link Monsters because I was upset that a huge number of decks I played were now useless, but I did mess around with Zombie Link some.

>> No.5995742
File: 474 KB, 465x497, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why was /ourguy/ "Bandit" Keith Howard featured in so few games? Was he too based?

>> No.5995898

>>5995742
the fact he was only dueled when mind-controlled, and to avoid confusing newbs they'd have to reintroduce the plot which would be too unwieldy in a battle sim especially post-Duel Monsters

>> No.5995905
File: 65 KB, 203x217, Keith-DOR.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995742
Konami couldn't handle a true AMERICAN character.

>> No.5995912

>>5995905
>onion jack
what the fridge?

>> No.5995965
File: 404 KB, 450x389, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995912
The game is an adaptation of the British war of the Roses which took place in the 1300s. Keith would be overtly patriotic regardless of where he was from.

>>5995898
Speaking of mind control, wasn't it implied that Keith died after the events of duelist kingdom and the rare hunter Keith is just his reanimated corpse? Or he did survive in both the Japanese and American anime? I know in the manga he has his hand turned into a gun to involuntarily commit suicide, that's fuckin' brutal.

>> No.5996015

This is the only YGO game I have ever played (owning the cards as well) and until I was a teen I didn't realize that doing fusions like in this game were not part of the official rules at all and that the rules were completely different than what I had known.
I still play this game on occasion because I could just pick it up and play a match or two between breaks from work.

>> No.5996141

>>5995965
where the fuck you get the manga in color nigga

>> No.5996151
File: 81 KB, 343x500, Desperado_Barrel_Dragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5995742
hes my favorite character he didnt deserve to be embarrassed by pegasus like that. I like how he's a villain but he actually has a reason to be like he is. Launcher Spider was one of my favorites back in the day just cause it looked cool I know its pretty shitty for a level 7, im glad blast spider is there to take his place and actually be useful. Creamed my pants when I saw that despardo barrel dragon that card is fucking bad ass. I dont follow the OCG so a lot of these new cards catch me by surprise even though they have been out in japan for a while

>> No.5996264
File: 310 KB, 1200x890, yugioh - 1536341350788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5996151

>> No.5996691

>>5996264
wow wtf konami

>> No.5996748

>>5996691
I prefer right.

>> No.5997491

>>5988425
>After that, you get to seal Reshef away forever, and end the game. Just kidding. He has 40,000LP, 3 of the most broken cards in the game, and all 3 God cards. Obelisk can inflict 4000 direct damage, and Battle Mode Ra is an auto-win if he has more LP left than you do
kino

>> No.5997505

anyone got good scans for the manga?

>> No.5997513

>you can manipulate any duel by editing your deck and remembering the order of the cards, saving, resetting, rushing to whatever duel you're dealing with, noting the cards of the opening hand, resetting, reloading, editing the deck so the cards you want in the opening hand are in the positions the game rolled, then entering whatever duel you want while making sure the NPC movements are the same, then boom, one manipulated duel ready to go.
Literally what Atem does. Again, absolute kino

>> No.5997882
File: 151 KB, 545x471, 1543035950233.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5991073
>"Delicious Brown"
I'm listening

>> No.5997890

>>5997882
>implying you will actually get full card art, let alone animations with the monsters
>implying it's not just a shitty 00s hentai fap game
>implying implying

>> No.5998387
File: 348 KB, 416x416, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5996748
I honestly like the altered artwork for barrel dragon more than the original, it reminded me of the Nuke from Turok 2.

>>5996151
I would love to build a Keith themed deck, but it seems like it just simply can't keep its own against any remotely competent modern deck. Cards like Metalmorph and Zera the Mant look cool but are ultimately kinda useless.

>> No.5998396
File: 292 KB, 309x450, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5997882
That's just Dark Elf.

>> No.5998605

>>5998387
I run dark machines to try and keep it as keith as possible, I have sacrificed most my traps to run jinzo though god hes such a good card still

>> No.5998613

Eternal Duelist Soul

>> No.5998626

>>5998613
worth one playthrough but obsoleted by Stairway to Destined Duel

>> No.5998627
File: 14 KB, 314x353, 1571977356860.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5998626
>play EDS
>time to try the next YGO game
>start playing SttDD
>it's literally just EDS again
I guess I played myself

>> No.5998641

>>5998627
it's the same game but more content, better premise, and better mechanics (even if it's merely a speedboost)
i didn't feel cheated when I did the same thing, nor again when I played WCT2006, which is like ultimate EDS

>> No.5998653

>>5998627
I'm guessing writing an engine to keep track of all the card effects must have taken a long time, it's not surprising that SDD is just EDS but with more cards. Maybe for subsequent games they kept the same logic but changed the presentation around, though I will say that EDS' board layout is fucking genius.

>>5998605
Aren't traps kinda obsolete by today's standards? I'd imagine dark rule hades would be a better pick as he can negate graveyard effects of monster he's destroyed, plus he's a dark fiend which Keith also ran (albeit in limited numbers).

>> No.5998657

>>5998641
WCT2006 was a huge improvement upon 7 Trials to Glory though. The EDS to SttDD transition is like the difference between Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow. The battle screen is the same, the UIs are the same, etc. Just didn't inspire me at all to play it. Had to move on and start playing WCT2004 instead, couldn't handle the thought of just playing EDS again, felt like a waste of time.

>> No.5998659

>>5985045
god no only way to beat the end game enemies was to grind for weeks

the PS2 one was a tad better

>> No.5998662

>>5998657
Just play Nightmare Troubadour for the ultimate classic YU-Gi-Oh experience.

>> No.5998672

>>5998657
>The EDS to SttDD transition is like the difference between Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow.
Really it's more like to Gold & Silver.
It actually does look nicer than the first game, and again, it plays better too.
But if you say so.

>> No.5998674

>>5988425
>>Change of Heart? Permanently steals one of your monsters. Get fucked.

I'm going to get my friends together, get wasted and play this game. and see how long it takes for us to trash the TV

>> No.5998687

>>5998672
>It actually does look nicer than the first game, and again, it plays better too.
The battle interface and card list UI are literally exactly the same.

>> No.6000149

>>5998653
>Aren't traps kinda obsolete by today's standards?
Not at all. Battle traps, yes, but basic traps that further your plays and counter traps that interrupt your opponent's are still used every now and then.

>> No.6000343

This game is amazing and has an awesome setting. You could make this game even better it has great potential.
I love the story and the look of characters.

Sadly there are A LOT of cards but yet some are useless while others are overused.
The ki also isnt that great ONCE you saw through it.

>> No.6000413

Why are most of the americans in yugioh evil or stereotypes? Does the author not a fan of bugers?

>> No.6000513

>>6000413
I mean irl Americans aren't exactly nice people, they want to screw over people for a variety of reasons, such as oil, de gommunisds :DDD, overthrowing muh evil dictatorship, or outright fighting Israel's wars. Keith was on Operation Duelist Kingdom Freedom and he got dabbed on by Kang magic.

>> No.6000659

>>6000413
What americans are there?
>Bandit Keith (Obvious Evil)
>Pegasus (Evil at the start but becomes good)
>Rebecca (Good)

>> No.6000697

>>6000659
Keith isn't evil hes more like neutral. He totally has reason to have a vendetta against pegasus and doesnt care how he solves it.

>> No.6000720

>>6000413
You watched the wrong show, the entire show took place in america.

>> No.6000856

>>6000513
Zoomer detected
Stop typing like a faggot

>> No.6000857

>>6000697
What's Keith's stance on Israel?

>> No.6001021

I had no idea the Reshef was so unpopular.
I had even less of one that it was considered challenging. When your capacity is low, just fill up on trap kid and 0/0 monsters of varied elements. When it gets high play anything that summons extra monsters or puts traps on the field, or can summon off discard. When you get to the endgame against just stall until you draw a God card and win.

>> No.6001148

>>6000659
Isn't Pegasus a Brit though? There was that Jean Claude guy with the ninja cards who was also American, and I think Johnny Steps was American also.

>> No.6001229

>>6000857
turn it to glass

>> No.6001747

>>6001148
the manga and anime both state that he's an american
hell he talks about his love for cartoons and shit

>> No.6002102

>>6001747
I was under the impression he was a Brit considering his usage of random engrish in Japanese and his "high class" mannerisms in the dub. Looking back, yugioh has tons of cool characters, I wish Keith tagged along with the gang and maybe replaced Tristan, maybe see him use some based dark machines along the way.

>> No.6002375

>>6002102
IIRC Pegasus being American was a pretty big part of his character in the manga

>> No.6003337

>>5985045
Someone post the cheating AI webm

>> No.6003343

>>5989358
Patrician taste
This and Duelist of the Roses were fucking kino

>> No.6003351

>>5989959
Same composer for Dark Duel Stories, Forbidden Memories, Duelist of the Roses, and Falsebound Kingdom
https://youtu.be/GPMk8IRp7cY
https://youtu.be/yfe7-iPFo6A
https://youtu.be/u20Jz9iY6LU

>> No.6004103

>>6003351
What I always found odd is, despite being one of Konami's main money makers, the Yugioh games don't feel "unified", so to speak. That's probably why they're so interesting. Is FMR the only one that has hacks for the game? You'd imagine a card battle would have loads of editors, at least a deck editor for AI opponents.

>> No.6004472

>>6004103
The thing about that is that the AI already struggles with the cards that they're given (even in modern Yugioh games - just look at how Duel Links' AI handles some decks). Yugioh is a very complex game to program an AI for, so they take the easy way out and make them cheat, or at least play in the least intuitive way as possible.
For example, the AI not requiring any sort of fusing in Forbidden Memories. Or every duelist in Stairway to the Destined Duel having a single copy of Dark Hole, Raigeki, Change of Heart, Monster Reborn, etc. And to say nothing about the late/endgame duelists in Reshef of Destruction.
Modifying AI decks in any way can be a potential cause of disaster. Forbidden Memories' modders got away with it because the AI in that game is already braindead.

>> No.6004756

>>5989605
>Dragon themed
How so?

>> No.6006418

>>6004472
It seems like Yugioh AI works in a fairly straight forward way. In eternal duelist soul, they will ALWAYS negate a spell with magic jammer no matter how trivial it is, they will pop mirror force or negate attack even when attacked with a 0 attack monster, they will discard Kuriboh instantly, but they will only use Raigeki or Dark Hole only if they cannot defeat your strongest monster by battle and they intend to attack. Unless the flip monsters are man eater bug or penguin soldier, they will never flip summon a flip effect monster. They will also use the monster with the lowest difference in attack values to attack monsters and leave the heavy hitters for direct attacks, and later AI opponents know how strong the monsters you've set are so they won't attack unless they have a monster that can defeat it. It seems like Seeker has a mildly modified AI routine where sangan and witch will always pull an Exodia piece, but Solomon will pull beatsticks or shields despite also having Exodia pieces in his deck.