[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 269x255, moon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
596819 No.596819 [Reply] [Original]

I love Majora's Mask. Far and away the best Zelda game for me. The dungeons, the overworld, the items, the transformations, all well-done. I think it has better gameplay than OOT, WW, or TP.

But that's not why I really love it. Where it really shines is in the writing. It's like if Tim Burton made a Zelda game. The NPCs are far more fleshed out in MM than any other Zelda, because you see how they live on a schedule and how they react to the impending apocalypse. There's like 20+ NPCs that are multifaceted personalities and have genuine character arcs. Watching Clock Town change over the three days, and seeing the kind of effects you can have on the characters.

I love Zelda games in general. I've played LttP and LA probably hundreds of times. I even love Zelda 2. But writing in Zelda games is shit. Majora's Mask is the lone exception to this...not only is it the best written Zelda game, but it has some of the best characters and themes in games period.

Discuss.

>> No.596825

>It's like if Tim Burton made a Zelda game.
That's a good thing?

>> No.596829

>Good overworld
>Majora's Mask

I'd sooner take the ocean again.

>> No.596865

>>596825

Compared to the bland King Arthur legend that makes up the typical Zelda world?

>>596829

Do you remember what Ocarina of Time is like? There's nothing in the Overworld except what absolutely has to be there. MM bay has way more to do than Lake Hylia, the snow mountain is better than death mountain, and the fourth desert/tower area in MM is great.

Twilight Princess probably has the best overworld of the 3D games, but the dungeons are terrible.

>> No.596872

>I think it has better gameplay than OOT, WW, or TP
TP has the best gameplay in the series

>Where it really shines is in the writing
hmm.. yeah i guess

>It's like if Tim Burton made a Zelda game
No, MM isn't Burton's style at all.

>>596829
I liked MM's overworld, it reminded me of the 2D games.

>> No.596882

>>596865
>>596872
I don't remember the 2D games being so linear.

>> No.596885

>>596865
>Twilight Princess probably has the best overworld of the 3D games, but the dungeons are terrible
That's funny, usually it's vice versa for most people.

>> No.596886

When you go into a forest in Ocarina of Time, it's a nice scenic forest with a neat village and pleasant music.

When you go into a forest in Majora's Mask, it's an ugly jungle forest with everything being poisonous and the Deku Scurbs running an oppressive monarchist shithole.

So I guess Ocarina of Time is better for enjoying all the disjointed elements on their own. A forest is just a forest and the game designers can design their ideal forest. But in Majora's Mask everything has to point back towards the impending apocalypse, so the individual places in the game lose their diversity so the game can have a consistent atmosphere.

I personally don't like Majora's Mask for this because every area in the game felt the same. Gloomy and dead.

>> No.596917

>>596886

I totally agree, but that's exactly what I love. In Ocarina of Time ever area is just the bland place you'd expect. Forest level Grass level Mountain level Lake level.

The dark theme is Majora's Mask gave the areas personality and creative uniqueness. How many video games have have the Deku forest in them? How many have an ugly jungle forest with everything being poisonous and the Deku Scurbs running an oppressive monarchist shithole?

Plus you can turn everything nice looking when you beat the dungeon. MM was all about plasticity of the landscape.

>> No.596930

>>596886
>Gloomy and dead
Wasn't that kind of the point? I mean, there are many problems throughout Termina in addition to the freaking moon thats about to crash into them & annihilate everything

>> No.596934

>>596886
I like it more than in OoT, where Ganon takes over the world, becoming the King of Evil and oppressing the shit out of everyone

Until you leave clock town and everything is perfectly fucking fine.
In fact there's a lively town 15 seconds away from it.

>> No.596974

>>596930

>Wasn't that kind of the point?

It was. Which is why I'm not really criticizing MM so much as pointing out what it does good and what has to be sacrificed. OoT has dark places like the Shadow Temple and Hyrule Town in the future, and it has bright and colorful places all around mixed in. But MM has a consistent atmosphere throughout the entire game, which serves the overall themes well and makes the game feel better-designed to some people, but the others get tired of the same gloomy designs and feel it's just laziness on the developer's part.

>> No.597025

>>596974

...laziness? Breadth in tone doesn't take any more effort to program or develop. And I think it's more or less objective that the world in MM is far more imaginative.

>> No.597104

>>597025
It doesn't help that the awful "THIS IS A BAD PLACE" music plays in every single area until you beat the dungeon.

http://youtu.be/hDwwuf2ovUs

>> No.597168 [DELETED] 
File: 272 KB, 850x1375, sample_29cc2f8797f8646e481c833e1d4487b47d7cd5e5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only negative thing I have to say about Majora's Mask was that they made my very first waifu put on some clothes.

>> No.597189

>>596917
Ocarina of Time is a fairy tale as it's perceived by a modern audience. Happy and lighthearted and safe.

Majora's Mask is a fairy tale as they were at the time of their conception. Light hearted on the surface...but beneath, grim and cruel and twisted.

>> No.597421
File: 336 KB, 1024x768, 1301256634669.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah MM easily has the best writing of the series, the most impactful and consistent atmospheres, I won't say best, cause I and others prefer a less EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IS GONNA DIE and more of a SHIT IS REAL like in OoT where the castle town is fucked and things are overall more dark but it's not all bad. No I am not saying one is objectively better than the other, cause it's not true. MM is certainly the one that'll get you to go oh damn a lot (except maybe that first shot of castle town after you come out of the temple of time after the time skip). NPCs were done the best. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the 3 day mechanic, felt a little tedious, but that's just subjective. Only objective flaw I can really point out is maybe the five dungeon thing but that's counterattacked cause MM has a lot of side content and the areas before the dungeons are usually nearly dungeons in and of themselves. I still argue that OoT and MM are the only 3D Zeldas worthy of being the best, the others have actual real issues. WW has the triforce hunt, 5 dungeons without the side content to make up for it and the tediousness of the ocean sometimes. TP has difficulty problems, Zant (hell a lot of the story), tears, and an empty overworld. Then SS is just a result of modern cinematic bullshit.
tl;dr Yeah MM is really good, I just personally prefer OoT, no hate though.

>> No.599461

>>597421
>Then SS is just a result of modern cinematic bullshit.
SS is my favorite of the three new games though

>> No.599502 [DELETED] 

>>597168
SHE'S MY WAIFU, YOU SWINE
GET YOUR HANDS OFF HER
I thought MM was passable.

>> No.599518

>>596872
>TP has the best gameplay in the series
I think Four Swords has the best gameplay followed by Skyward Sword.

I realize those aren't popular opinions.

>> No.599531

>>599518
Having unpopular opinions and still voicing them makes you an individual

>> No.599540

>>597189
>OoT
>Happy and lighthearted and safe
>MM
>Light hearted on the surface...but beneath, grim and cruel and twisted
No. The difference is MM doesn't try to hide its darker elements where as OoT does. OoT terrified me as a child because of the stark contrasts made within the game. MM never did that because it was expected.

>> No.599556

>>597421
>Then SS is just a result of modern cinematic bullshit
How exactly is SS cinematic though? Its nowhere near the level of Uncharted or even FFXIII. I'd say TP was trying to be cinematic way more so than SS.

>> No.599636

>>599556
In my opinion "cinematic experience" is just the generic buzzword /v/ uses for not liking new games.

>> No.599907 [DELETED] 
File: 1.37 MB, 1024x976, sexy_ruto_by_noctuscorde-d5rijnz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>599502
No.

She's going to have my tadpoles.

>> No.599908

>>599540

OoT does the whole light world/dark world thing (that was done far better in LttP), but it feels empty to me because every single character is one-dimensional. If you're going to have a silent protagonist you need strong NPCs. MM actually had characters that interact with each other and you see their dark sides as the moon approaches, giving them depth.

A dark world is just a haunted house until you fill it with living characters. What makes something genuinely dark and interesting is seeing how the world plays on the minds of the people within it.

>> No.599954

>>599908
I'm so sick of "dark side this, dark world that". whatever, man. it reminds me of how some fan module got rated really high because it was dark and edgy on Zelda Classic.

but the writing was terrible because it just tried too hard with grimdark edginess and you could see that.

>> No.599975

>>599954
Lost Isle?

>> No.599994

>>599954
A lot of people want shitty grimdark reboots for series. Its why Sega thought Shadow the Hedgehog was a good idea and why Final Fantasy fans creamed themselves when they seen versus 13 had blood in it. I'm not saying all fans want this just that a sizable vocal minority do.

>> No.599995

>>599540
I think it says a lot for MM when its most "censored" element was also its most common one.

The Song of Healing never actually -heals- anyone in a traditional sense. It only allows the dead to move on.

>> No.600012

>>596917
>the Deku Scurbs running an oppressive monarchist shithole?

I love that every time somebody wants to point out positive parts of MM it is all about how grim and edgy everything is supposed to be.

In reality the deku palace is not an "oppressive monarchist shithole". the deku king is just bored and never understood what happened to his daughter in the first place and that is why the ape got captured. and that's all there is to say about that. I think the deku butler is a guy who wouldn't want to work in a oppressive shithole.

bottomline: you're exaggerating. a lot.

>> No.600027

>>599975
yes. this one.
>>599994
yeah, good point. it's so overdone. and TP was never really good. the twilight parts seemed atrocious to play. the pacing just sucked.

>> No.600060

>>599995
>The Song of Healing never actually -heals- anyone in a traditional sense. It only allows the dead to move on.
That was my favorite part of the story. Not how everyone likes to point out how dark and edgy everything is but that you helped people to accept what's happened to them not just undoing what happened.

>> No.600065

>>600062
you mean >>>/tumblr/

>> No.600061

>>599636
no, it isn't. FFX and Zelda:TP really, really pissed me off for being all about cutscenes. same with Witcher 2. do you want a movie or an actual game? we had this discussion often enough.

>> No.600062

>I think it has better gameplay than OOT, WW, or TP.
>It's like if Tim Burton made a Zelda game.
>But writing in Zelda games is shit. Majora's Mask is the lone exception to this

0/10, >>>/b/

>> No.600069

I found my old ALTTP cartridge this week.

I couldn't beat this game when I was younger, I got stuck after fighting the mage.

I've played every zelda game except L.A, Four Swords, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword (Not a big fan of motion controller games) and ALTTP was the only game that I couldn't beat yet.

>> No.600082

>>600061
>TP was all about cutscenes
There are a lot of reasons to hate TP and that is not one of them.

>> No.600109

>>600069
Interesting. I'm not very good at older games but I played ALTTP for the first time a few months ago (on emulator) and beat it in a few weeks. LoZ 1 is still unplayable to me though.

>> No.600152

>>600012
Yeah it's the contrast that makes it cool, not that it's fucking dark and oppressive and [buzzword] 100% of the time. The Deku King is a fabulous fucker that dances around even when he's angry, and the game is still colorful as an acid trip throughout.

>> No.600153

>>600082
yes it is.
everytime you enter a new area in a dungeon an environment cutscene triggers that shows you how to get through the stage, what switch you have to activate, what torch you have to light and so forth. it's stupid handholding. and they do that too often.

I swear to hell,
everytime a goron farts into the hot springs a cutscene triggers.

It's that annoying.
OoT had just about the right amount.

>> No.600156

>>600061
How was the Witcher 2 all cutscenes?

>> No.600161

>>600152
I'm glad you understand exactly what I was talking about.

>> No.600197

>>600156
come the fuck on now...
how can you even ask that?
the balance between actual gameplay content and cutscenes is really fucked up. every idiot can see that. you can't even go down a ladder by yourself. there are invisible borders everywhere on paths and in the stages or maps itself. you can't step out the line but you can follow the narrative which consists of cutscenes 70% of the time. the second storyline patch doesn't help much. Witcher 1 did it right and there was balance. also about 60 hours if you really did everything. it had gameplay and free field roaming.

TW2 is a short "game" on top of that. It would have been a good movie but it's not a good game.

>> No.600397

>>600197
I had a totally different experience with it but we obviously can't share our memories of it or use our subjective perceptions as arguments so ok. Sorry you didn't like it.

>> No.600793

>>600397
that's fine and I don't mind. I had buyer's remorse after all. good thing I bought it with steam summer sale.

>> No.601248

>>596974
The gloominess of everything around me forced me to find safe havens and comforting locations. For example, I felt cosy and safe in the astral observatory, it was pleasant. I also felt cosy in the Stock Pot Inn, and I found the Zora Hall to be a somewhat relaxing place.

>> No.601738
File: 17 KB, 250x219, 250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601248
I didn't try to get away from the impending doom but I did used to put on the Zora mask and stay in the Stock Pot Inn and pretend Anju was my girlfriend as a kid. I wish I could still play video games that way, but there's no time.

>> No.601760

>>601738
I remember wishing there was a way to make Lulu really act like your girlfriend at that age.

>> No.604279

>>596865
>Compared to the bland King Arthur legend that makes up the typical Zelda world?
Other than the whole magical master sword thing, link never becomes king. Never gets a round table with a boatload of men. Rarely ever has a wizard with his shit. Never has a man in his group split off and and fuck his shit. Never has one of his best men bang his wife who he's forced by law to kill. Doesn't go looking for a christian magic cup. Doesn't fight his son who was begot through incest.

So, how in your mind did you determine that it was a whole 'King Arthur legend' going on?

>> No.604285

>>599531
Yes but voicing wrong opinions make him an idiotic individual.
Skyward was fucking terrible for gameplay.

>> No.604646

>10+ years later
>still no Fierce Deity's Mask spin off
>Tingle spin off

>> No.604651

Majora's Mask was the N64's Shadow of the Colossus.

>> No.604663

>>599461
>the three new games

You mean Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword?

>> No.604668

>>604651
Drab and lacking in color?

>> No.604672

>Playing MM on the Virtual Console because why the fuck not
>Deku Playground, gotta get the high score on all three days to get the heart piece
>Day 1
>fuck
>fuck
>fuck
>fuck
>FUCK

Was it always this hard?

>> No.606092
File: 60 KB, 220x237, 220px-Ooccoo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600027

I like both OoT and MM, they're both good in different ways. I could never get through TP, though.
I really hated it, I don't know what the hell was going on when I played it.

>Spend ages in the village at the beginning, don't know what to do, seems like I'm playing animal crossing.
>Can't get out of the jail as a wolf because the controls are ass.
>Get lost in the first dungeon, can't find neither the map nor the compass.
>Plot and pacing all over the place.

I just stopped playing when I found the chicken with the human face in a jar.
That was just too much.

Am I the only one who felt like this?

>> No.606154

>>606092
No. I didn't have any problem playing it on the Gamecube (I didn't have a Wii atm).

Personally, I had such a great experience with it, and I doubt it was due to it being on GC. It's still one of my favorite Zelda's.

>> No.606183

>>606092

I've played through TP twice, and while I didn't really like it all that much, I can't say I share your complaints.
When thinking back on TP, the only thing I really, really liked was fishing. Early game Midna was pretty cool too.

>> No.606192

>>600153

OoT also has too many small annoying cutscenes in dungeons

>> No.606196

>>596819
The game sucks though, because you always have a fucking timer and can't play the game normally.

>> No.606201

>>596882
nigga have you even played LA

>> No.606245

>>597189
>Ocarina of Time is a fairy tale as it's perceived by a modern audience. Happy and lighthearted and safe.

It's like you never got past the first three dungeons

>> No.606296

>>604663
ues

>> No.606314

>>606196
Just play the reverse song of time then. The clock slows down so much its almost impossible to get kicked back to the beginning with a task half finished.

>> No.606339

I also posted this here >>605595

But this thread seems more appropriate.

>Be young kid (between 8-12)
>Nintendork
>OoT was my jam
>So pumped for MM
>Get it day it comes out
>Play 5ever
>Enjoy it, not as much as Oot
>Get through most dungeons no prob
>Final dungeon in the game
>Slogging through for days
>Slowly losing interest
>Just wanna beat it
>Finally get boss key
>Go to the room right before the boss
>Short hallway, with a ledge
>Have to climb up box to get on ledge
>So excited to fight the boss
>Rolling forward to get there faster
>Stop in front of the box
>Accidently hit sword button
>Box is destroyed
>sweetjesus.jpg
>Immediately leave room hoping box reloads
>IT DOESN'T
>No matter what I do, box never comes back
>That one moment soured the entire game for me

I've still never beaten that fucking thing.

>> No.606340

>>597421
>WW
>no side content

Go be stupid elsewhere, there were so many sidequests in that game. Triforce hunt had tons of chests and trade points along the way.

>> No.606471

>>606339
what the fuck are you talking about autist?

>> No.606520

The atmosphere in MM really gives me the chills. I love it and I consider it my favorite 3D Zelda game, but I can only play it in short breaks.

>Those themes for all the areas near the dungeons.

>> No.606556

>>606520
Ikana Valley is the one that made me nervous all the time.

>> No.606586

>>606245

I wouldn't say OoT is light hearted, in fact it's probably just as dark as MM. But OoT is dark in the most bland way possible. "Oh no castle town got destroyed! Good thing there's not a single memorable NPC who lives there. Oh and they all survived and went to Kakariko anyways."

In contrast, MM was dark in that sweet fairy tale acid trip cartoony sort of way. Much more engaging.

>> No.606602

>>606471

I could never beat MM because I broke the box I needed to get up the ledge, to beat the boss in the last of the four dungeons. Reading comprehension that bad?

>> No.606613

>>606602
You're either incredibly stupid or trolling.

>> No.606623

>>606613

I was like, 10, and the memory is fuzzy. All I know is that I was never able to beat the boss, and thus lost any interest in the game. Don't have to be a prick about it, that's just my experience with the game.

>> No.606639

>>606586

I guess it's a difference between realistic and surrealistic representation of horror

never been a fan of Twin Peaks bizarre kind of thing to be honest, what draws me more towards OoT is the direct inspiration drawn from myth, legends and fairytales

>> No.606661

>>606586
To be fair, it was pretty damn cool seeing mummy like realistic-ish zombies walking around in a post apocalyptic medievil time period and seeing ganon's alchemical castle.
Also, the fucking well, man and the insane as fuck windmill musician.
Lotta cool shit in this game.

>> No.606668

>>606556
It's like each one had a theme for the gloom theme, and Ikana's theme was just "gloom".

>> No.606684
File: 10 KB, 204x136, rattle me bones.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hated Majora's Mask.

The game always felt like 1 long sidequest I needed to complete so I could return to Hyrule and play a real Zelda game. I never cared about any of the character's personalities and the 3 day time limit horse shit was too big of a hurdle for me to get over to actually enjoy the game.

Yeah I know you can slow time, speed it up, blah blah blah, but waiting in one spot for some shit to happen on a cetain day was annoying as fuck. I liked OoT a lot more because I didn't feel like I was restricted by some bullshit time mechanic; I could explore, fuck around, have fun.

First thing I had to do in MM? Be a fucking Deku Scrub (outcast) in a world I didn't give a fuck about (Termina) and I couldn't even leave the shitty town. Fuck that.

After returning MM I went back to playing Deus Ex. After playing MM with it's restrictions and lack of freedom, Deus EX felt like a huge breath of fresh air; I could pretty much do whatever I wanted to.

I maintain that Majora's Mask is the worst mainstream Zelda game of all time.

>> No.606693

>>596872
>MM isn't Burton's style at all
Yeah, it feels more like a grimm fairy tale than a burton flick.

>>596825
TB made some tight ass shit when he was younger, jsyk.

>> No.606717

I agree OP

What I personally especially love about MM is the whole slew of 'hidden' character content. After years of constantly replaying this game I could still find new stuff, like Anju crying in the laundry pool area on day 2 if you don't do the Kafei quest. Just the whole timelines thing and seeing how your actions affect the world in various ways is just really cool to see, and characters and the world are way more fleshed out than other Zelda games because of it.

It also definitely has stuff darker than the other Zelda games. Like Cremia getting Romani drunk so she wouldn't get scared over the end of the world. Not saying darker means better, but in this particular game it definitely helps the whole atmosphere, which is very well done. The themes changing subtly over the days really help the whole impending doom feel. And man dat fucking final 6 hours music.

God I love MM.

>> No.606719

>>606684
>Didn't even finish the introductory sequence
Your opinion doesn't matter.

>> No.606726

>>606719
I finished the introductory sequence and I got pretty far into the game, but it was like pulling teeth the whole time. Whenever I try to go back and replay it that intro sequence is such a fucking chore I just don't want to bother with it when I could play OoT or TP.

>> No.606745

>>606726
>that intro sequence is such a fucking chore
You must have the patience of a squirrel.

>> No.606750

>>596825
Like a good version of Tim Burton, I guess.

>> No.606751

>>606745
Give it a rest, man. It's clearly just not his kind of game. I loved it for all the same reasons he hated it. Neither of us is objectively right or wrong.

>> No.606754

>>606750
I prefer "It's like if Guillermo del Toro made a Zelda game" myself.

>> No.606756

>>606684
>I liked OoT a lot more because I didn't feel like I was restricted by some bullshit time mechanic
I agree.
My favorite thing about OoT was that nothing in the game was time-based, and you never had to wait for anything to happen ever.
It sucks that MM has the time mechanic preventing you from ever exploring on your own, fucking around or having fun.

>> No.606757

>>606745
Do you have any actual counterarguments to make or are you just going to /v/ it up here like a child?

"Waaaah he don't like mah game so Ima insult him cause im a baby! Waaaah!"

GTFO

>> No.606760

>>606757
>Waaaah he don't like mah game so Ima insult him cause im a baby! Waaaah!

Mocking is never taken seriously anywhere, least of all here. Cut that shit out; it's annoying to see.

>> No.606767

>>596886
This is pretty much true, except one isnt better than the other. It is a matter of preference.

>> No.606768

>>606684
>The game always felt like 1 long sidequest I needed to complete so I could return to Hyrule and play a real Zelda game.
I suppose you also hated the GBC games too? Majoras mask has just as much freedom and exploration as OoT and the time mechanic is really nothing to be bothered by. Why do you care more about Hyrule anyway?

>> No.606774

>>606760
Just answering a troll in kind.

At any rate, I've said my piece about MM. It's funny though, whenever I tell people (on a forum or otherwise) I don't like that game somebody always has to come out and defend it and mock me simultaneously.

Why is this game so divisive?

>> No.606776
File: 10 KB, 236x213, metal men laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606757
>"Waaaah he don't like mah game so Ima insult him cause im a baby! Waaaah!"
Wow, seriously?
I just called you a squirrel. I didn't expect it to get so far under your skin.

>> No.606778

>>606774
Because it's so different form every other Zelda game. It will always be either the Best Zelda or the Worst Zelda.

>> No.606780

>>606768
1. Actually I don't like the GBC games because I felt the combat was horrendous.
2. I think I care more about Hyrule because OoT gripped me when I played it moreso than LttP or the others did and it made me care more about that world than Termina.

>> No.606781

>>606760
Why does everything have to be serious?
thats one of the biggest problems in the world right now is extreme 24/7 seriousness and people never being able to take anything at all lightly.

>> No.606783

>>606778
Zelda's Adventure will always be the worst Zelda game

>> No.606786

>>606776
You didn't present a good counterargument and acted like a child, don't expect me to not respond in kind.

>> No.606789

>>606774
>Just answering a troll in kind.
Don't do that shit either. He's obviously not trolling, but if you're going to counter with that shit, it just pollutes the whole board.
Don't be a shitheel, learn to participate in a normal discussion like an adult.

>> No.606795

>>606778
Actually I don't think it's SO different which is why it's divisive. It's not like it went from Zelda 1 to 2, the only differences were the time limit and number of sidequests.

>> No.606806

>>606781
Everything doesn't have to be serious, but I like this place, and I don't want this to slide down to /v/-level, where "u mad" is the default response to everything, and where normal discussion is ALWAYS choked out by shitposting and >implying.
A "this is you 'durr durr durr'" response is never acceptable. It's infantile in a way that is shitty, catty, annoying, and never funny.

>> No.606807

>>606789
You didn't actually respond to anything else I said in that post. Drop your vendetta, please.

>> No.606818

>>606807
I wasn't a part of the discussion, or this thread for that matter. I'm still not.
I don't care what game you hate or why, but take the childish shit back to /v/ and either leave it there or stay there with it.

>> No.606829

>>606192
TP has more of them. your point?

>> No.606836

>>606684
>I could explore, fuck around, have fun.
You cant do that in any 3d zelda game because they all have empty overworlds. Unless you played it as a kid, then you wouldnt notice it.

>> No.606839

Sure you can. Hyrule Field, Lake Hylia, that... mountain place, the desert, etc.

>> No.606849

>>606836
>You cant do that in any 3d zelda

that's some bs.

>> No.606852
File: 996 KB, 2425x720, Bitches Love Link.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596819
>Tim Burton's Zelda

No.

Anyway, yeah, it's a pretty great game. One of the best Zeldas definitely.

my opinions would rank:

1. OoT
2. Link's Awakening
3. Wind Waker
4. Majora's Mask
5. Oracle of Seasons
6. Oracle of Ages
7. Skyward Sword
8. Link to the Past
9. Minish Cap
10. Twilight Princess
11. Zelda 1
12. Zelda 2
13. Spirit Tracks
14. Phantom Hourglass

it always amazes me that no matter how many zelda threads I go into, rankings are always wildly different from one another

>> No.606853

>>606786
It was my first post in this thread.
I wasn't giving you a counter argument, I was calling you impatient in a halfhearted way. I expected you to brush it off or scoff it away.

>> No.606857

>>606852
>filename
Ruto was literally the only one that was actively offering to fuck him.

>> No.606861

>>606849
If you're more of the same shit over and over. Be it grass, ocean, or sky with the same small caves everywhere.

>> No.606865

>>606857
There were also the suggestive implications with Nabooru.

>> No.606869

>>606861
Sounds like the 2D games as well, if you take out sky.

>> No.606871

>>606852
>it always amazes me that no matter how many zelda threads I go into, rankings are always wildly different from one another
People value different things, and in spite of claims that the series just rehashes, there's a lot they do to experiment with each release.

>> No.606872

>>606849
Just because kids are too stupid to notice the overworld in OoT and MM are empty as fuck doesnt mean you can explore in those games. I should know, I played both as a kid and I spent a fuckton of time "exploring". Coming back to the game to find out it was so hollow all along was pretty surprising.

>> No.606875

>>606869
Only really Zelda 1 and 2. The rest of them have a lot of variation on each screen.

>> No.606878

>>606872
I think in this case exploring might mean something different to you than it does to me or someone else. I think of it as traveling, finding new stuff, fighting enemies, trying new things, fucking with glitches, etc. I didn't find it empty but that's just me.

>> No.606884

>>606865
She was just using him.

>> No.606890
File: 35 KB, 500x398, 1367180136481.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606852
I will never understand why people always have to put the DS games at the bottom.

>>606865
You know him and Saria would have gone places, given the chance

>>606884
At first

>> No.606891

>>606875
Zelda 1 are 2 have no variation, but they have the most incentive for exploration because of all the secrets. The latter 2D games are much more varied and they also have secrets so you have a reason to explore while playing them.
MM and OoT have very few secrets. Maybe a hole in termina/hyrule, but thats about it.

>> No.606902

>>606890
>I will never understand why people always have to put the DS games at the bottom.
I only played PH, and it is most certainly the weakest zelda out of all the ones I played. Mainly because of the dungeons.

>> No.606906

>>606891
That is true.
I think LttP had the best balance as far as exploration, secrets, and variation.

>> No.606910

>>606902
ST's dungeons are much better. Even the go to again and again one.

>> No.606913

>>606890
>You know him and Saria would have gone places, given the chance
But Saria is eternally prepubescent. It'd just be puppy love hand holding shit.

>> No.606916

>>606913
How do the Kokiri reproduce?

>> No.606919

>>606916
I think the Deku Tree spawns them somehow. Or they just arise through abiogenesis because they're magical forest sprites.

>> No.606937

>>606916
I always saw them as just sort of always there, and changing as time passes

>> No.606939

>>606910
>Even the go to again and again one.
So there is one that works like the ocean king one? Because I actually liked that one. I should give the game a go.

>> No.606951
File: 2.98 MB, 244x156, fuckyoucrazy_shitson_CALMDOWN.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606939
There's one like an Ocean King, but you don't actually have to trek though the same area each time to go deeper
Like the first time you go through 5 floors, and the and visit you start at 6. makes it MUCH more tolerable
ST also has pretty great characters and music, but nothing tops Linebeck

We should try to keep this retro

>> No.606952

>>606919
this.

Wind Waker is the same. Kokori = Kokiri. there are no differences, really. and there the deku tree, who was a fucking retard btw, spawned them all himself.

>> No.606969

>>606952
They're Koroks in WW,
Also there's the Kikwi in SS

I always just sort of saw them as immortal beings that adapted to their surroundings as time went on, though it doesnt make much sense

>> No.607041
File: 281 KB, 349x370, WHYBORN.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606890
I just beat Spirit Tracks. I thought it was the best use of Zelda in any game, yes even moreso than Tetra. The humor in the game was fantastic.

But goddamn, those fucking controls. Playing on a 3DS def made things worse since the mic is far smaller, but even if the flute sections didnt leave me lightheaded, making everything stylus was a terrible choice.

I don't think I've ever raged so hard at a final boss. Having to do all those slashes and randomly rolling? Fuck that was agravating. Pulling off the spin was a huge crap shoot too.

If it had normal topdown controls, i would have said its a 8/10, but those fucking controls man.

>> No.607057

>>606951
haha holyshit what Zelda is that?

>> No.607053

>>606717

Thank you, yes.

Stuff like that is exactly why it's my favorite. No other Zelda game has characters that are even half as deep, and so many.

>> No.607059

>>606916
I think they just come out of nowhere.
Thinking about that is just like thinking from where the hell fairies come from.

>> No.607069

>>607041
I think it's funny that so much people had trouble with the flute when the game came out.
I did the flute sections on my first try.

>> No.607085

>>607041
If you have an action replay or a flash card, you can map movement to the dpad with a certain code,
still need the stylus for everything else though

One of the major complaints and the reason a lot of people won't touch the game is the controls, they should of t least figured out a button mode for ST

>>607069
I image it's mostly a problem with the mics, I took like 50 tries on my DSfat to do them but on my newer DSi I got most of them within 5 tries

>>607057
Spirit Tracks Zelda
aka the best Zelda

>> No.607120

>>607085
After just checking, it's actually for PH
I don't think there's one for ST

It's a long ass fucking code though jesus...

>> No.607361

>>606875
>variation on each screen
oh, wow! because that's so "diverse"

>> No.607586

>>607361
...yes? Variety and diversity share a good chunk of definition.

To be clear, I don't hate the 3D ones for having vast hub fields.

>> No.607985

>>606852
>14. Phantom Hourglass
>Implying its Bellow SS
C'mon Phantom Hourglass wasn't THAT bad

>> No.608040

>>607985
Neither was SS.

>> No.610136

>>606857
Link marries Malon.

>> No.610149

>>607059
Fairies come from the sacred realm, obviously

>> No.610151

>>608040
This.

>> No.610158

>>607586
I don't see how 2D is inherently more "explorationy" than 3D. It's random pixels vs. a series of drawings, big whoop.

>> No.611356

>>606849
>>606861
3D Zelda has greater variety and meaningful content density then just about anything. There's only a few things in the FIELD, but their overworlds contain hundreds of secrets and their towns have no equivalent in anything beside maybe the Fallout series. The emptiness of the fields are part of their charm anyway, it adds to the variety of areas, unlike the 2D games where everything is maze like. There are just so many ways for the 3D games to hide things in both space and time.

>> No.611365

>>606754
That's much better, I've never seen anything actually by Tim Burton that was any good.

>> No.611876

>>610136
Maybe in your fanfiction.

>> No.611897

>>596819

One of the best things about the foyer into 3D for Zelda games was the sense of exploration. OOT had you running everywhere, through forests of monsters, through mountain villages, etc. You had what, at the time, we considered a big overworld.

MM does the exact same thing, but it takes a smaller square footage, and crams in full of nooks and crannies, hints and interactions with various characters. It's like the difference between traveling a long road with towns and truck stops along it, and exploring every inch of an old three story house.

>> No.612752

>>596819
I love it because of the athmosphere
I mean, the mask salesman, the clock tower, the areas who become always darker and darker, the more you have played
It is kind of magic

>> No.613081

>>606092
Oh god Occoco? Couldn't take that also looking at that picture I really hope they are feathers and not nipples.

>> No.613146

>>613081
They are of course nipples.

>> No.613238

>>600793
Oh so after all the problem i sthat you are a summerfag

>> No.613258

>>606092
Know that feel I honestly think on TP as the worst one on the series

>> No.613287

My kids (ages 9 and 6) just saw me playing Oot today and asked to try. They ran around with Epona for a long time. I got up to make some coffee and got side tracked and forgot all about the game.
I came back later to find they had exited out of OoT and found MM. Ive had them on the Wii for a long time but they never cared before now. They seem to like MM better even though its a tad cryptic. There's no empty expanse like the Field and despite not really knowing wtf they are doing they are having fun.
Thing is I can't really help because I never liked MM much and didnt get much past saving the damn money...
At least there's new Zelda fans in the works

>> No.613543

I never played MM when it came out. For some reason I've had the cartridge in my possession for a good ten years though, I'm pretty sure it was my little brother's. Anyway, I decided to give it a shot one day a few years ago and was blown away. I never played it because I thought I would be really annoyed by the 3-day system, but it surprisingly became one of my favorite things about it.

I'd say it's less Tim Burton, more Groundhog's Day or that one Lum movie.

>> No.613574

>>613543
Groundhog Day is an amazing movie and probably the best comparison to the game.

>> No.613752

I lost interest in Majora's Mask when it first came out after I got so far into it.

Ocarina on the other hand I have beaten several times, most recently on my 3DS (which is by far the definite current version, love how they crisped up the graphics).

I will have to give MM another fair shake at some point. I do own the collectors edition for gamecube.