[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 670 KB, 1272x625, 2metroids.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5965743 No.5965743 [Reply] [Original]

We ALL know whuch one is better

>> No.5965753

>>5965743
Samus Returns. Unironically.
Metroid 2 was never a great game anyway. The remake did it so much justice. And I say this as a hardcore Metroid fangirl.

>> No.5965784
File: 65 KB, 452x500, Gamma.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5965743
>We ALL know whuch one is better
Yeah. AM2R. Though saying the original GB release is superior is also a fine answer. Samus Returns fucks too much with Metroid formula stuff, like nerfing the screw attack and the melee counter making combat a more stop and go affair when the Metroid games have always had their combat short and simple with you gunning down non boss monsters with ease.

The metroid fights are tedious in Samus Returns as well, especially when they can start running from combat, and the new boss they added, that big mining robot? He's fucking awful seeing as he's one of those cycle based bosses you can only hurt when the big glowing fuck me light shows up.

>> No.5965879

>>5965753
forgot your trip

>> No.5965890

>>5965784
>and the melee counter making combat a more stop and go affair when the Metroid games have always had their combat short and simple with you gunning down non boss monsters with ease.

I never understood this. The enemies don't take more bullets to die or are any more difficult than enemies in other metroid games. Just because you can sit there and do nothing but counterattack doesn't mean that it is anywhere near a good or effective strategy.

You don't have to use the melee attack unless you are playing cowardly. Just run and gun unless you are that afraid of enemies that lunge at you.

This just seems like a complaint for brainlets who think they have to use the counter whenever they can.

>> No.5965892

>Yeah. AM2R.
based

>> No.5965896

>>5965753
This.

>> No.5965898

>>5965890
Well, the game does force you to stop when you want to aim up since you have to manually aim instead. The older games let you run while you aimed up or down.

>> No.5965909

>>5965890
>The enemies don't take more bullets to die
Yes they absolutely do. Your shots suck ass in the remake.

The real defense for the dumb counter move is that you can just dodge and avoid enemies instead of fighting them. Combat in the remake sucks period.

My biggest problem is they fucked the atmosphere. It feels like some bright cheap looking nickelodeon show tie in game. The original and AM2R both had way better atmosphere.

>> No.5965912

>>5965743
But I like them both the same. I just really like Metroid.

>> No.5965985

>>5965890
Like the other anons have pointed out, your beam weapons are extremely limp in Samus Returns, plus the melee counter is necessary for some of the flying enemies, who have a huge sight radius and a very fast lunge, easily knocking you out of the air if you're in a hurry to get somewhere. This gets even more annoying when a lot of the end game enemies can brush off being hit with the screw attack, and a lot of them can hit you out of it.

The ground enemies are piss easy to avoid, yes. But I was getting pestered by those bat cunts more than anything else.

>> No.5965995

>>5965784
AM2R is the 3rd best metroid game.

1. Super
2. Prime
3. AM2R

>> No.5966054

>>5965784
AM2R is massively overrated. People just jerk it off because it was a fan project.

>> No.5966063

>>5966054
I thought it was pretty good on the grounds of it being good. Having Zero Mission style controls, but even more customizable is really nice, and all of the extra bosses are enjoyable. I don't care about it being a fan project or not, I care about it being an enjoyable video game.

>> No.5966082

OP here
thanks, I almost had to decide for myself which one to get
:^)

>> No.5967474

>>5965743
It's funny I was mildly interested in the remake until I heard it was made by the team that did Castlevania Mirror of Fate which is without exaggeration one of the worst games I've ever played. Now I don't even see a reason to try it.

>> No.5967547

>>5967474
What was the deal with mirror of fate?

>> No.5967563

>>5965743
They're both garbage. M2 is just a mediocre game, and SR is a remake of a mediocre game that remains mediocre.
Also especially fuck SR for being a 2D platforming game that forces you to use that shit-tier circle pad for movement rather than the D-pad.

AM2R is the superior choice, although even that can only do so much since it's still fundamentally built off a frame of a subpar game.

>> No.5967576

>>5967547
I have no clue why it is the way it is, but it's fucking weird. There's "combat rooms" where you whip enemies and then "platforming segments" where you have to make jumps but both are insultingly easy and there's only one instance in the whole game where an enemy shows up in a platforming section. Right near the end while you're running from a rolling chruch bell or something there's a single lone Fleaman and you can either whip him once or jump over him. In the entire thing that's the closest the game gets to being anything like Castlevania.

>> No.5967627

>>5966063
I think it's a good game, I just don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread or anything.

>> No.5967668

>>5967576
Also just to rant, let me expand on what I mean by "insultingly easy" because this game genuinely was insulting to me. With the platforming sections there are almost no even slightly difficult jumps, very few small or moving platforms and no real death pits at all. On the odd chance you miss a jump and "die" it just respawns you at most 2 platforms back with no other penalty. There is almost no exploration, your way forward is highlighted with glowing points and any other route is a very short detour that leads to usually a hunk or lore text.

For combat you have two combos, xxxx for direct attack or yyyy for an AOE attack. Most of all you ever have to do in combat is either of those combos. No need to dodge or react, the hitstun keeps most enemies locked till they die and the AOE attack covers almost the whole screen.

It starts super easy but gets even easier. A third of the way through or so you learn a counter attack skill which if done right cancels any move and deals huge damage back. Fortunately it's almost impossible not to do right. If you just tap the button a few times when an attack might be coming it will register as a perfect defend 100% of the time. This works on bosses and everything.

The whole thing is unbelievable.

>> No.5967835

I didn't like Samus Returns, not as enjoyable as other games. I prefer the original.

>> No.5968698

>>5965743
botched combat
botched exploration
botched secrets
anti-speedrun features (not very effective, but still)

do I need to say more