[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 979 KB, 1747x768, Thieves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5897454 No.5897454 [Reply] [Original]

Everyone post the comfiest missions you know. Fanmission or otherwise. A Question of Knowledge from T2X is my first pick.

Also 2004 is retro as far as I'm concerned.

>> No.5897461
File: 1.39 MB, 1920x1080, dump009.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5897472

>>5897454
Am I weird for finding Thief: Deadly Shadows of all things as the comfiest entry? I don't know why really.

>> No.5897513
File: 1.39 MB, 1366x768, rutherford.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5897472
Deadly Shadows has the best soundtrack and I adore the game just as much as the previous ones, but I think most of the game is rather dark and unsettling than comfy.
It has some really comfy locations though, for example the Rutherford castle is great, especially in Lady Elizabeth's tower (5:00).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ig7OcYZkg

>> No.5897525

ds > tdp > tma

don't @ me

>> No.5897528
File: 763 KB, 1364x768, Thief.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most of you has probably already played it, but Autumn in Lampfire Hills is comfy as fuck.
>>5897525
switch TDP and DS and it's good

>> No.5897578
File: 155 KB, 732x436, The_Builder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lord Bafford's
Ambush!
Keeper Library
Garrett's building
Gathering at the Inn (FM)

>> No.5897585
File: 21 KB, 640x480, ss_snow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5897578
>Gathering at the Inn
That was the very first Thief 2 FM I played and I agree. It has amazing atmosphere. Also due to it being my first FM it was the first time I saw snowfall in Thief. Outside of this ancient alpha version screenshot from before Thief 2 was released.

>> No.5897587
File: 3 KB, 225x225, 1392660096547.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5897525

>> No.5897609

>>5897454
Comfy OMs:
Masks, The Overlook Mansion, End of the Bloodline, Song of the Caverns,

Comfy FMs:
Heist Society, Kingsbridge, Mission X, The Seven Shades of Mercury, Heart of Bohn,

>> No.5897620

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHyX8z3AjBY

>> No.5897689

responding from last thread:
>I think Bonehoard and Undercover are both great maps but they both also have a fatally serious flaw in stealth. Unavoidable detections. Undercover has an unreasonably high loot requirement that forces you to at some point steal valuables who's absence will eventually be discovered and the hammerites will sound the alarm. That's only a problem for ghosters though. But not to worry, even the normal stealth players will not be spared as automatic alarms will ring as soon as you remove the talisman-protecting curse. And they just had to make the level design so that you cannot possibly escape via a route that doesn't intersect with aggroed hammers.
And Bonehoard has a part where you are forced to use explosives right next to 6 enemies

Im going to be honest i thought automatically triggering the alarm on undercover was just me beign retarded and unable to do the puzzle right. If its not possible to take it without triggering the alarm you are right that sucks. Also, you are right that beign forced to knock out the gaurd to not trigger the alarm does suck i straight up forgot about that. I like the rest of the level enough to forgive that but if someone else diddnt id understand. Also, I think the loot requitement on a lot of theif gold levels are to high. I like having a high loot requirment on "mansion" levels (im including shit like cragsleft) becaue it forces you to explore the whole place. However, its frusterating (to me) in levels like boneyard because you effectively have to run around and hope you find loot in random places. Thats my biggest frusteration with the non mansion levels. This games atmosphere is amazing and while levels like boneyard are not what I personally want in a theif game, I can still enjoy them because of this. But the loot requirment makes them annoying because after your finised you have to run around and hope to find loot.

>> No.5897708

>>5897689
Gameplay-wise I don't like Undercover either, imo the AI is too inconsistent in that mission and the rules aren't intuitive - everything seems to be fine, and then you see an alerted hammerite running after you because you probably made a mistake 10 or 20 minutes ago and didn't realize it. The alarm goes off when you pick up the air talisman anyways, punishing you for not blackjacking everyone when they were unsuspecting.

>> No.5897814

>>5897708
This
Absolutely horribly mired by eyes-in-the-back-of-head AI which ultimately encouraged save scumming. I loved the Hammerite lore/scriptures though.

>> No.5897839

>>5897814
>Absolutely horribly mired by eyes-in-the-back-of-head AI
but i feel like this problem was in lots of levels. Id have isses where gaurds would give their lines for spotting me when there was no way they should have seen me.

> I loved the Hammerite lore/scriptures though.

This and the unique level concept is why l love the level dispite its flaws.

>> No.5897842
File: 737 KB, 1210x650, Thief Snowy Levels.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man I can't seem to play Thief anymore. I start a level and will get 10 or so minutes into it and lose all motivation, probably just need to take a break.
>>5897708
I think an interesting idea for Undercover would of been to allow the player to disable the temples power in some way to avoid the alarm. You would have more darkness for cover but with the downside of a bunch of aggro Hammerites investigating the cause of the blackout.

>> No.5897850

>>5897587
the correct post would be
> tdp>tds>tma

>> No.5897853

>>5897842
It took me forever to notice Garrett in that pic.

>> No.5897875

>>5897850
I agree with this. If DS wasn't running on that POS engine it would most likely be my favorite.

>> No.5897879

i played the first theif and it was meh
what about the other two

>> No.5897898
File: 1.22 MB, 1364x768, vanishing point.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5897454
Vanishing Point
>>5897879
Thief 2 has better level layouts, but it is more repetitive than the first game because the missions are more samey. It's still good, but you won't play more than one level at a time.
Thief 3 has more loading screens, the physics are buggy and some stuff just doesn't work as well as in the previous games, but the atmosphere, music and story are probably the best in the series and the AI improved a lot too. I agree with >>5897850

>> No.5897902

>>5897879
You'll never get a cohesive comparative statement from these anons other than the third one is not as good as the ones that came before. The only thing I can say is that if there's one particular aspect you didn't like Thief 1, I can give an objective measurement of that aspect's quantity in Thief 2 so you can determine if it's going to be better or worse for you.

>> No.5897908

>>5897902
i like the level design in 1 but the dark engine's gameplay and combat is just too floaty
i also felt like system shock has the same problem

>> No.5897929
File: 859 KB, 1920x1080, bcd4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5897935
File: 850 KB, 1920x1080, dirtymoney3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5897943
File: 715 KB, 1920x1080, god1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5897952
File: 1.43 MB, 1920x1080, scarlet1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5897960
File: 2.96 MB, 1930x1278, LotP_greenhouse.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5898723

>>5897689
>max out the difficulty because 'i am le master theif garrote' and 'muh missing content'
>complain about loot requirements

when will you master-thief-ghost-retards understand that the intended way to play is 'normal' (that's why it's called 'normal'), and the other difficulties are for replaying the levels you already like when want something extra from them.

>>5897708
>the rules aren't intuitive
>punishing you for not blackjacking everyone when they were unsuspecting
same 'master-theif' autism here. the first game is not a set of rules and puzzles for you to solve and feel like you're a winner, it's about simulating interesting situations for you. undercover was a perfect mission for the later part of the game, when you already know most of the mechanics and the novelty kinda runs dry. so it breathes in some fresh new situations, first, hammerites aren't hostile and you can walk among them until you try something nasty, and second, right when you get the prize, your vague illusion of safety is blown off and you feel trapped and have to think of a quick way to escape.

>oh no, this level is not the same as the other 16 levels of T2 jerking off in the shadows, it actually does something new and breaks the 'rules' for me
>what a poorly designed level!

>> No.5898783

>>5898723
>it actually does something new and breaks the 'rules' for m
Alarms and detections in a stealth game should be the consequence of the player fucking up and instant and permanent disqualifications from perfect execution. The problem is that because of the fact that humans have memory, you can't un-ring that bell. At one point they didn't know something is wrong, the next they did and after that point they always remember. It's unlike any other player mistake in other games. If you get hit by a fireball in Doom you can find a health kit and bring your health back to 100% and it's as if nothing happened. So you can't just decide in the story of the mission that this was a mission where you did things poorly. Removal of options is not bringing variety into a level in an immersive sim. A mission where an alarm can be rung has more player options than a mission where an alarm will be rung. That's what LGS realized when designing Life of The Party. If you think that forcing all player types to play one way increases variety, I think you'd be better off going back to playing Thiaf 2014. Wanna "break some rules"? Turn on the optional "detection is game over" rule and watch as the game breaks that rule by not giving you game over even though you get detected 8 times in the campaign.

>> No.5898850

>>5898783
>the consequence of the player fucking up and instant and permanent disqualifications from perfect execution
again, you're dissecting the game as if it were a mere combination of rules for you to follow, and if the goal was to reach a 'perfect solution'. it's you who is forcing yourself to play one way, not me, by perceving the game through this narrow perspective.

>A mission where an alarm can be rung has more player options than a mission where an alarm will be rung. That's what LGS realized when designing Life of The Party.
an alarm system which can be avoided dates all the way back to Assassins. it's not like LGS 2.0 invented anything in Life of the Party. rather than repeating themselves and playing the same card again, LGS 1.0 decided to spice things up at the end of Undercover. yes, variety = different conditions. same conditions that never change and force you to believe the game as a set of 'rules' and 'mechanics' for you to master != variety.

>> No.5898878

>>5898723
I don't want Undercover to be the same as the other missions, and I never said that. I like the concept of Undercover, but the way they executed it feels too random compared to the other missions. It's not autism that I didn't want to blackjack everyone, I just tried to stay undetected, like the name of the mission implies.
>the first game is not a set of rules and puzzles for you to solve and feel like you're a winner
It is though, games, especially immersive sims are totally systematic, and immersive sims are designed in a way that you can apply real world logic to solve ingame problems. That's why it works both as a game and as a simulation of interesting events.
Undercover is just not as good at delivering this as the rest of the missions.

>> No.5898882

>>5898850
Universal rules instead of strict mechanics are what separate immersive sims from other games. I will not agree with your assessment that literal restrictions create variety. I think it is the opposite. Assassins is a mission where the alarms create different outcomes that the player has to deal with if they're incompetent or if they cause it on purpose for a challenge. Life of The Party has an intended alarm with a secret workaround added for players who want to have the option of not engaging in the post-alarm content. But you know, Assassins and LoTP are both designed in a way that allows stealthy players to sneak away safely even if they do trigger the alarms. Undercover not only lacks the ability to disarm the alarm, but the level design funnels the player to areas where confrontations are absolutely unavoidable. Again, I will not agree that forcing every player regardless of their playstyle down a singular path that excludes most playstyles increases variety. By all accounts it sounds like the opposite.

>> No.5898913

>>5897898
I'll give Thief 3 this - it knew how to end the series properly unlike majority of videogames that don't know how to wrap the story up. It ends on a high note, while at the same time making it clear that this is the end of Garret's story and there will be no more sequels.

>> No.5898954

>>5898878
>I didn't want to blackjack everyone, I just tried to stay undetected, like the name of the mission implies.
you tried and did your best, but shit happens. just like in the real world, some things just happen that are out of your control, and you have to deal with them. you lose your eye in the course of the story, you don't view that as an unfair punishment from the game even though you did everything perfectly, do you? so why fuss over an alarm which couldn't be deactivated? it seems like you want to be in full control of the situation all the time and get disappointed when the game doesn't let you. there are rules in immersive sims, sure, but the fun also comes from something else rather than just rigorously mastering them and expecting everything to flow the perfect way.
>>5898882
you view it as a restriction of your right to be in full control and produce predictable results, I view it as an unpredictable element that keeps the story fresh. I never view it in terms of 'playstyles' and I don't expect the game to explicitly feed me with 'option X to stealth, option Y to not stealth' all the time. for me it's what ruins the immersion, the feeling that this world was deliberately designed for you to practice a 'playstyle', i.e. the whole Thief 2 'design over story' philosophy. you can disagree with me all the way you want and defend this way of thinking, but in the end it's your way of thinking is what does not permit you to enjoy the level. so why not do a little paradigm shift and try to enjoy what most legitimately can be enjoyed.

>> No.5898969

>>5898954
>you lose your eye in the course of the story, you don't view that as an unfair punishment from the game even though you did everything perfectly, do you?
I don't, because it doesn't blur half your screen or actively punish you for something you couldn't do anything about.
I understand what you mean, that we should deal with unexpected events just like in real life, but I think the unexpected events in Undercover are mostly unintentional, the AI is just buggy and inconsistent. The alarm in the end is totally intentional sure, but my problem with it is that it kinda undermines the point of the mission, it makes you realize that the easiest thing to do is to restart the level, ignore what Garrett says in the briefing, blackjack everyone and finish the level under 10 minutes, so we don't have to deal with the events that were meant to be unavoidable.
Thief 2 is my least favorite in the trilogy btw, I don't want every level to be the same, I just think Undercover isn't as good as the rest of the levels.

>> No.5898984

>>5898954
>I view it as an unpredictable element that keeps the story fresh.
Well I happen to not view an objectively predictable element as an unpredictable element. Nor would I think that such a narrow array of solutions to an unpredictable problem would be a good thing. If it was actually unpredictable, the hammerites would just randomly decide that you're an intruder regardless of evidence, and if the array of solutions was comparable, your total selection of solutions would be: Face them and run, face them and fight, or face them and throw sledgehammers at them until they're dead without giving you a game over for murder. The thing is... all of those options and more would be available even without that unpredictable predicament.

>> No.5898995

>>5898913
Yeah, and it also leaves it open for interpretation what Garrett does afterwards because different players viewed Garrett differently. It gives clues and counter-clues to refute those clues but doesn't offer any real answers.

>> No.5900457

What FMs are similar to Undercover? Similar in the sense that the player uses a disguise?

>> No.5900472
File: 301 KB, 481x418, 31108418f41512930a7a986d2318ac9c00711c1d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I cant get into the first Rocksburg mission, I have too many gripes with it

-the textures are muddy as shit so I disabled the filtering
-I've seen people mentioning that the sound propagation was not taken into account properly, It kinda feel like that is the case actually, I got alerted civilians running all over the place even though they haven't seen me
-the voice acting is bad and its sounds really, really low quality and they try to mix their conversations with existing lines from Thief
-for some reason I cant see shit even after turning the gamma up, Thief is supposed to be a dark game but some maps have this weird overall lighting that looks out of place after playing the originals, cant really describe it properly, but I have to squint in places

I want to like this one really, and I hear they get better, so I might have to check out those

guess I'll try seven sisters or calendra

>> No.5900509

>>5900472
>I've seen people mentioning that the sound propagation was not taken into account properly, It kinda feel like that is the case actually
To elaborate on that, sound in Thief propagates along paths defined by things called room brushes, which are like hand-placed invisible prisms that encase the empty "air" of the level and are used to calculate how sounds should sound (among other things). If two room brushes touch each other through a wall, then sound will travel between them through the wall. A well made, average-sized mission can have hundreds of these to ensure sound behaves correctly. The first Rocksbourg mission has 16.
Anyway that mission has a bunch of problems on top of that. Even its author doesn't like it anymore, personally I only sort of started to like it for the atmosphere and story the second time I played, since I already knew where to find all the retardedly hidden keys. The sequels are better and while they might be considered an acquired taste, they don't have the same level of technical problems as the first.

>> No.5900545

>>5900472
In my opinion Rocksbourg 3 is one of the best missions ever made, but the first definitely has a crapton of issues that drag it down significantly. 2 has quite a few issues as well but nowhere near as blatant and enormous as in 1.

>> No.5900603

I didn't play Deadly Shadows at release, probably got it two or three years later. Was the ability to explore The City a big deal? Did it go over well with the fans?

>> No.5900758

>>5900603
I really like Deadly Shadows, but the hub system gets really uninteresting and tedious in the second half of the game.

>> No.5901613
File: 363 KB, 1920x1080, Thief2_IndST3Radw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5897454
havent played many fan missions but ive always adored the ashen age's soft orange evening look, even if it isnt terribly thief-ish
im starting to feel like i might be due for a thief trilogy replay soon, im starting to forget a lot of the old autistic knowledge i mightve had back in 2016 or so

>> No.5902424

>>5900472
it's simply a bad to mediocre set of missions (yes, all 3 of them) that became "classics" because the author happens to be a popular member of TTLG. Seven sisters is another one, though nowhere near as extreme as memebourg. As in it's a decent mission but is far from being the best FM of all times some people would have you believe.

>> No.5902440

>>5902424
got any examples of missions you would actually consider to deserve that kind of reputation?

>> No.5902558

>>5902424
>because the author happens to be a popular member of TTLG
Don't you suppose they came to be popular because people liked their missions

>> No.5902563

>>5901613
Behind Closed Doors (t2) has a similar sort of evening atmosphere, with really cool ambience to match. The opening section isn't very good (linear and hard to find the way forward) but once it opens up into a giant nonlinear area that composes most of the mission, it's really good.

>> No.5902657
File: 293 KB, 479x447, steamworkshop_guide_1419110593_guide_branding.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can only imagine 80% of posts in Thief threads are by the same seething degenerate that hates MGS.
Accept that your shitty franchise is dead and forgotten.

>> No.5902680

>>5902657
How could anyone 'forget' the series. It had one of the worst games of the 8th generation release.

>> No.5902693

>>5902657
Better to be dead and buried than raped by a soulless corporation.

>> No.5902867

>>5902657
I know it's bait, but this post made me realize that no one mentioned MGS yet, and that's because no one in this thread cares about it.

>> No.5902889

>>5902867
No, they open their own threads just to hate on MGS. You should keep those posts on Thief threads, so at least they would have more posts on them.

>> No.5902897

>>5902889
have u ever wondered
when did everything go so wrong
why I am reduced to posting weak bait on a chinese muslim rehab forum
Is there any hope left for me

>> No.5902950

>>5902657
one of these two franchises is kept alive by mods and spiritual successors.

the other one became a pachinko machine.

which one of these two franchises is truly dead?

>> No.5902954

>>5902950
My guess would be the one that has no relevancy whatsoever, be it in pop culture or in game design history. The one where its fans do nothing but whine about better franchises. That one.

>> No.5903204

Where can I find these games cheap? Or are they available for free?

>> No.5903616
File: 1.79 MB, 1400x3900, 1481692832516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

does this need an update?

>> No.5903684
File: 50 KB, 592x338, cult.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fans whining about better franchises? I wonder what he's talking about. Which franchise has the most better franchises to whine about? Oh it must be that weeb pac-man engrish boss fight movie with scientologist-tier cult members fans.
...The no relevancy aspect is questionable though so I don't know why they're beating themselves up thinking they've influenced nothing. They popularized the first button-mash QTEs, having random useless gimmick details instead of game design and having a turret segment as the final level, not to mention they solidified 80's monster maze gameplay in the minds of the plebs as "stealth". That franchise is hugely influential. In a negative way only but influential still.
We wouldn't have all of the worst aspects of Resident Evil 4, the most pointless parts of Doom3, the shitty finale of Modern Warfare 2 or the incredibly non-assassin nature of "Assassin's" Creed if it weren't for their influence. They made modern shitty gaming the way it is with their fans' lack of standards.
And that non-relevant franchise can't be Thief. Afterall Thief's approach to level design is what inspired even the least-bad Metal Gear game. Ground Zeroes would be a fine single level in a a game with 15 levels.

>> No.5903697
File: 456 KB, 644x831, 1500370681_1b3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5903684
>i dont whine
>proceeds to write a full paragraph of schizoid whining
>keeps spamming /vr/ with mgs butthurt for years

MGS is so based that even haters can't stop thinking about it. Much like shmup degenerates, I'm sure you'd rather keep seething than play anything.

>> No.5903710

>>5903697
>so based
>schmup degenerates
>keep seething
Nice pile of buzzwords you hoarded up there, care to speak English? If not, there's a board just for you
>>>/v/

>> No.5903713

>>5902954
so MGS

>> No.5903714

>>5903710
Solid argument there. Truly the sort of articulate deconstruction you expect to see from a loser spamming the same hate thread daily.

>> No.5903719
File: 344 KB, 566x480, 1568685611147.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The Black Parade is still being worked on

>> No.5903720

>>5903714
You start, piling up buzzwords don't count as arguments.

>> No.5903830
File: 78 KB, 1920x960, 1550755629064.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5903719

>> No.5903950
File: 611 KB, 680x384, stop opening doors.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

@5903697
>is so insecure about their pet franchise that they fell the need to seek out obscure retro game generals for adversarial content
So take your pick. It's a binary choice. Is it really that bad that you feel the need to do that, or is it good and you're just retarded and are doing it mistakenly? No other options. Are you going to admit that it's bad to protect yourself or are you going to sacrifice yourself for the cult?

>> No.5903953

So a couple of months ago I played T2 up till Kidnap but have then lost my save. I figured I'd set it as the starting mission and take it from there, but I think it's made with taking your equipment from the previous mission in mind. I was dropped into it with just the two lockpicks - I'm wondering whether it's beatable, considering that my two most used items are water and rope arrows, and there seem to be next no wooden surfaces in there, and the mechanists only use electrical lights anyway. Has someone beat it that way and can confirm it's doable?

>> No.5903976

>>5903953
I had never thought about that possibility and now I want to try and beat the mission without anything as well. I'm sure it's possible. Too bad most players are too busy hating that mission to remember where to find what they need and how to get around with less than what you need.

>> No.5904380
File: 481 KB, 596x652, cuckjima.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gtfo my thread mgstrannies.

>> No.5904795

>>5904380
imagine feeding a singular troll a day after he posts

>> No.5905091

>>5900457
Cell 6

>> No.5905104

>>5903684
hi beepzorz

>> No.5905108

>thiefags hate metal ge-
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141421

>> No.5905430

why are the three thief gold missions such shite

>> No.5905535

>>5905430
Don't bully Song of the Caverns.

>> No.5905625

>>5905430
all of them are better than Escape!

>> No.5905637

>>5905430
>>5905535
this

>> No.5905714

>>5905625
escape has great atmosphere tho

>> No.5906006

>>5903616
yeah it kinda does
tafferpatcher is outdated now, t2fix. fm recommendations are mostly fine i think but it might be nice to throw some newer stuff in there, like the thief 1 20th anniversary stuff that dropped last year
>>5905430
song of the caverns is pretty good.... although i might end up installing goldtodark regardless

>> No.5906007

>>5905714
so do all Gold missions

>> No.5906015

>>5906006
jesus christ i meant "replace it with t2fix". god

>> No.5906461

Thief 1 Gold has:
-thieves' guild mission
-mage towers mission
-opera house mission

Thief 2 Gold was supposed to have:
-slums mission
-university mission
-museum mission
-necromancer mission
-hammerite mission

What would have Deadly Shadows Gold had?

>> No.5906509

>>5906461
The introduction of the Kurshok dudes and the ratmen would probably have been separated into two missions, instead of just putting some ratmen in the Kurshok Citadel. They would have probably expanded Gamall's Lair too.
Other than that, I don't know, Deadly Shadows felt complete, it's the game's engine that needs some improvements.

>> No.5906545

>>5906509
Hmm... maybe the gold version would have added rope climbing and swimming/diving animations and the new missions or new variations of old missions would have implemented the changes. Because the animations are the only reason why those aspects were never implemented. Swimmable water is literally a volume you just drag across terrain in Unreal that changes the physics and player control when the player enters that space. There's no excuse not to have swimming in a sequel that literally has a level themed around a species of fish people.

>> No.5906724
File: 115 KB, 656x893, happy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5905108
Notice how the single MGS troll that you're trying to address got bored of the thread and nobody (except me) replied to your post so far.
It's heartwarming that his legacy in this thread lives on though. Really goes to show how easy to derail and subvert any discussion in here is, and how self-sustaining this derailment is thanks to retards like you.

>> No.5906813

>>5906545
Yeah, but those are much more significant additions than what Thief Gold added to TDP. If they fixed the exploitable AI's (like how the larger gargoyles have a hard time hitting you when you're crouching), it would be nice enough, they designed the levels with the climbing gloves in mind anyways. Reducing the loading screens would be nice too, but the Thief Deadly Shadows Gold mod already did it.
>>5906724
Not him, but the discussions about FM's and Gold editions continued, having those few extra /v/-tier posts didn't kill any discussion.

>> No.5908253

Hows the 20th anniversary missions? Worth playing?

>> No.5908698

>>5908253
Of the ones I've played, Downtowne Funk and Making a Profit were great quality. Lost Among The Forsaken was a pretty good old quarter sealed section zombie mission and Heart and Soul was a really good dungeon mission with elements from The Sword as well as from the Bonehoard.

>> No.5909398

>>5908253
Most of them are well worth playing.

>> No.5910012

>>5908253
The Scarlet Cascabel is quite far removed from anything Thief 1 style, but I think it's about on par with classics like Ominous Bequest or Rowena's Curse. I would maybe wait for the next version to come out as the contest version is a bit rough at times.

>> No.5911013

Is there a way to play specific missions in theif/ thief 2 without having to replay the whole game?

>> No.5911301

>>5911013
you can skip any mission with Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End, so it won't take more than a few seconds to get to your desired mission. I think you can also edit the cfg file to set any mission to be the first one, either way, ou will run into the same problem - you won't have money to buy equipment, because that is transferred from the previous mission, so some levels can be more challenging than intended.

>> No.5911303

>>5911301
Thanks anon! i didnt realize money is transfered from mission to mission is it affected by how much you find?

>> No.5911330

>>5911303
>i didnt realize money is transfered from mission to mission
Yeah it is, but you can't save money through missions (you can only spend the loot you collected in the previous mission), so I think the difference won't be game-breaking, just don't waste your water arrow on every torch and fireplace you see.

>> No.5911353

>>5897454
For pure nostalgia reasons, Running Interference from Thief 2. It's a combination of the time in my life, plus soundtrack of that level (I know, it was a dynamic soundtrack, but still...) plus obviously the game itself. I don't expect anyone else to understand, that's fine.

>> No.5913056
File: 484 KB, 1536x2048, 1553890988178.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5913057
File: 457 KB, 1536x2048, 1545399487595.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5913059
File: 438 KB, 1515x2048, 1561512431558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5913152

Why do some people prefer Thief 1 over 2?

>> No.5913550

>>5913152
Because it's better.

>> No.5913565 [DELETED] 

>>5913152
Too many shitty missions in T2 like Trace, Casing/Masks, Kidnap, Eavesdropping, S&R, LotP, and Sabotage.

>> No.5913662

>>5913152
it seems like the majority here like thief 1 over 2 (or theyre just very vocal.

>>5913565
>Eavesdropping
im playing through thief 2 for the first time and just finished eavesdropping. It wasnt my favotite but i still much prefer it to the non mansion levels like boneyare, and lost city, and theives guild

>> No.5914457
File: 35 KB, 414x540, 148d42039daadd70482b2712021151d0b56eb70630c054a29090f6ca1b153f77.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You really don't appreciate just how well designed TDP is until you've played it multiple times. TMA is the easiest to pick up and play, but it doesn't have the highs TDP has. It doesn't have the lows either, but still.

>> No.5914465

>>5913662
>im playing through thief 2 for the first time and just finished eavesdropping. It wasnt my favotite but i still much prefer it to the non mansion levels like boneyare, and lost city, and theives guild
Lost city and Thieves guild are shit, but Bonehoard is god-tier.

>> No.5914512

>>5914465
bonehoards atmosphere truly is godlike and i will gladly give it props for that. Its just personally not the type of game I want to play.

>>5914457
>it doesn't have the highs TDP has. It doesn't have the lows either

again i havent finished theif 2 but this is the impression i got. Song of the caverns, the sword, and cragscleft are better than shiping and reciving, and eavesdropping. I like the consistantly decent part of theif 2 more than the couple of highs of theif 1. Plus frammed and running interference are genuinly really great.

>> No.5915010

>>5913565
The map in Casing/Masks is good it's that you have to play it twice. If we eliminate the mission in which you are creating a map of the area and in which you can't get detected at all then the game would be 20% better.
>thinking Eeavesdropping, S&R and LotP are shit
Poor bait.

>> No.5915271 [DELETED] 

>>5915010
>Eavesdropping
>having to wait on a long boring conversation while doing nothing

>S&R
>have to find the number on every door and backtrack to a machine to open each one back and forth

>LotP
>have to backtrack to the start through the long and linear city

Yeah, they're shit.

>> No.5915279
File: 1.06 MB, 266x268, 6b122e401d638a67f72a268d405c4a07f347c98e2188b37cc48e30da62547814.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5915010
I kinda like how casing and mask relate to each other. It makes the game feel less gamey, because there's a reason you're visiting that place twice even if it isn't as fun as just doing a simple mansion raid. It actually resembles TDP a bit more, because TDP was chalk full of stuff that wasn't straight forward or as fun as having well rounded stealth missions every single time, but it's way more memorable.

>>5915271
>Slight inconveniences that are easily manageable by writing shit on the map or take up less than 2 minutes instantly ruin the mission
Next you're going to tell me Thief 4 is the best one.

>> No.5915542

>>5915279
Also, players play and replay missions, and on consecutive plays they know more about the level and are able to play better. Casing The Joint is basically that but implemented in-lore, so you go through a place once with low difficulty so you can have an easier time with getting through it on a harder difficulty.
Also a relatively easy forced ghosting mission is an important lesson for the player to prepare them for Soulforge. By Casing you've already gotten used to blackjacking every guard you see and are breezing through the game. But then the game tells you that there's another way to play. So by the time you get to Soulforge you have experience in actually sneaking around enemies instead of eliminating them, which is important because your ability to incapacitate enemies in the last mission is very limited.

>> No.5915703

>>5915542
One major complaint about casing I have, though, is the fact that if a guard here's you make a loud noise it's instant failure. Even if they couldn't possibly know what it was. In a big ass mansion like that with tons of people moving around and crap everywhere, I'd imagine that they'd just assume something fell over. Not to mention the fact part of it's haunted

>> No.5915704

>>5915271
>having to wait on a long boring conversation while doing nothing
Firstly, it's not a boring conversation and secondly, after you're done you can explore the map at your leisure and it's a really nice, little map.
>and backtrack to a machine to open each one back and forth
Yeah who would have thought you have to backtrack in a Thief stage? Madness! This completely ruins the game.
>complaining about backtracking again
2D platformers might be more up your alley, pleb.

>> No.5915726

>>5915704
>Yeah who would have thought you have to backtrack in a Thief stage? Madness! This completely ruins the game.
"Backtrack"
There's a machine 20-30 feet from each door tops. If you write down the door names into your map when you first see them, then it's even less work.

>> No.5915736 [DELETED] 
File: 216 KB, 255x305, Ninja_Gaiden_-_Ryu_Hayabusa_as_he_appears_on_the_front_art_cover_of_the_NES_version_of_Ninja_Gaiden.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5915704
Not him, but 2D action-platformers are much better than Thief.

>> No.5915739

>>5915736
Based.

>> No.5915773

>>5915736
based retard

>> No.5915808

>Casing the Joint
>Masks

Why?

>> No.5915856

>>5915808
see >>5915279

>> No.5915861

Has anyone played the Nosferatu mod? It looks interesting.

>> No.5916002

>>5915271
You do know that for S&R there are little huts around the area with the buttons that can also open the doors, right?

>> No.5916223

>>5915861
I have, it looks nice and the ambient music choice is awesome, but gameplay-wise it's sometimes really confusing and gets somewhat tedious in the castle.

>> No.5916232

>>5916223
Good to know. Thanks.

>> No.5916726

Anyone ever play Thief 1 or 2 on a CRT @ 320x240. I did it with a PVM and it was kinda freaky. The game almost looked like a live-action VHS tape.

>> No.5917670

>>5916726
The lowest resolution those games support is 640x480. That's also the resolution of the menus and all their graphics elements. Ingame the renderer can scale up while hud elements remain the same size but I'm pretty sure it can't scale down. I'm not sure the health bar of Thief 2 could even fit the screen if it was double size in 240p

>> No.5918158

Why do people hate ss2 now?

>> No.5918783

>>5917670
I was doing a bunch of trickery to downscale the image to 320x240. Out of all the finagling it took to get a PVM working on a PC, this was probably the easiest.

>> No.5919319 [DELETED] 
File: 242 KB, 600x600, if only you knew how bad things really are.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5920118

does anyone ever wonder if thief's ost inspired songs from other games?
I was reminded of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiqfIYGPAA4
and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1rTCutWRg
by this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxdC0aMDdg

>> No.5920127

>>5915271
>complaining about backtracking in a very slow-paced game, where most of the gameplay is being put in precarious stealth situations.

>> No.5920163

>>5919319
Guess I'm not getting any information from Giry after all...

>> No.5920186

Does anyone else think Garrett is kind of an asshole? Even after all the shit that happened in theif 1 when the Keepers come and warn him with the prophecy about the metal age he just blows them off and acts like it couldnt possibly be real.

>> No.5920204

>>5920186
>Does anyone else think Garrett is kind of an asshole?
naaaaaaaaaaaaah

>> No.5920491

>>5920186
>"Killing is for amateurs, I shouldn't kill people"
>Not "Killing is wrong and innocents don't deserve to die"
Him being kind of an asshole is an important part of his character

>> No.5920898

>>5920491
thats fair i never thought of it as him thinking that but that but i guess that makes sense.

>> No.5920983
File: 597 KB, 900x900, hitman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Recently finished Thief 1 after being late to the party, and tricking the Trickster, for two decades and loved it, save for the usual suspects from Gold. Is there any reason to pick NewDarkLoader over FMSel? I'm looking to try out some fan content but posts on TTLG aren't helping me out much, aside from saying DarkLoader is outdated.

>> No.5921058

>>5920983
dont ever post a reddit image like that again

>> No.5921061
File: 22 KB, 485x417, cons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DARK WOODS GOOD
BRIGHT HOUSE BAD

>> No.5921239

Is there a list of fan missions created by other anons floating around somewhere?

>> No.5921683

Any good games that live up to Thief? The only thing that scratches the same itch is playing Spy in TF2.

>> No.5921719

thief sucks.

>> No.5921872

>>5921719
back to cleaning kojima's anus with your tongue, mgsbabby

>> No.5921879

>>5921872
Rent free.
Tenchu is better than thiaf.

>> No.5921945
File: 202 KB, 840x833, thiaf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5921879
Leprosyphilis is better than thiaf

>> No.5922294

Whats with all these people who need a third person camera crutch?

>> No.5922298

>>5922294
They're used to shitty stealth games with bad audio design

>> No.5922572

there are no good stealth games.

>> No.5922587

>>5921945
this is upsetting

>> No.5922601

Nice thhread. Also I think anything before 2017 should be considered retro, we didnt even have fortnite back then.

>> No.5922849

>>5922601
The XBox Hueg had 64MB of RAM. That's definitely obsolete enough to be considered retro.

>> No.5922856

why do people shit on escape, it's a fun mission.

now undercover, that one is pretty shite.

>> No.5922864

friendly reminder to ignore shitposters

>> No.5922885

>>5922856
Well considering the fact that the most important thing in any stealth game is to remain undetected, Escape is technically a better stealth game mission. Unlike Undercover it is possible to finish the mission with no detections or alarms. Both missions are impossible to ghost though.

>> No.5922940

>>5921945
While I don't like Thiaf at all, some stuff on this picture isn't true.
>The new Thief completely does away with magical elements of the series.
I thought the flowers that recharge your cheat mode and Orion's brainwashed army was magical. Also you can find Keeper glyphs in the abandoned Keeper library, and Moira's asylum is haunted by the ghosts of the servants who tried to rob the widow in Deadly Shadows.
>Say goodbye to Pagans, Hammerites and the undead!
While technically you don't meet Hammerites, Pagans or Keepers, you get to explore the haunted cathedral from TDP, Moira's island and the Keeper library from Deadly Shadows, and these places are full of references to the factions from the original games. It kinda makes sense considering the game sets like 1000 years after the previous game.
...and that's about it, these were the only things I appreciated about the game.

>> No.5922970

>>5922940
I disagree with the notion that anything in Thiaf has anything to do with whatever it rips off from the originals. It's not a thousand years in the future. There can't be a master thief called Garrett with an abnormal right eye, a Crippled Burrick Pub, a fence called Basso with a bird named after his ex-wife called Jenivere, an island with a 1000 year old mansion still named after its original owner with a layout entirely different from what it was back then, a library that was moved underground in its entirety and a cathedral that the same was 1000 ago despite being completely different. It's not a sequel. It's a ripoff. None of the connections make any sense and the franchise has never established any kind of weird cyclical chronology mechanics that picks and chooses names and concepts from history to re-establish in a worse way in the grey and edgy present.

>> No.5923065

>>5922970
I think they tried to imply that the characters and important stuff from the previous games reincarnated. The asylum on the island isn't the same building, according to the lore of the game Moira built it long after the events of Deadly Shadows, they locked Garrett in there and that's where he died. When you explore the cells with nuGarrett you find a mechanical eye, it's supposed to be the eye of "Master Sneak-Thief" (that's how the game refers to the original Garrett). Also I though the Keeper library was underground anyways.
I am not trying to defend the game though, I just think that exploring the City long after the original games is a good idea, too bad Thiaf didn't do a good job at it.

>> No.5923571
File: 512 KB, 867x1500, tumblr_pjiqi8rRBQ1rqfh0mo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You just remided me one of my favourite game series (I have "task completed" sound on my sms for over 2 years and I just got so much used to it, that I keep forgetting where is it from). Beautiful memories guys.

>> No.5923573

>>5923571
>"task completed" sound
yeah, that's a good one. Another of my favorites is the level start rumble

>> No.5923786

>>5922856
>>5922885
Undercover is fine. Now the Thieves guild....

>> No.5923793

Shit T1 missions:
Thieves' Guild
Mage Towers
Undercover
Escape
Maw

>> No.5923807

>>5923793
What's wrong with Undercover? The alarm goes off? So what?

>> No.5923817

>>5923807
I didn't enjoy looking for them hidden switches much. Also being disguised takes away from the stealth factor a bit.

>> No.5923862

>>5923817
>Also being disguised takes away from the stealth factor a bit.
I disagree with this part. That's what made the mission interesting for me, since it was a change of pace. There where still times where you couldn't be seen or your cover was blown, which was pretty tense if you played the mission in one shot.

>> No.5924937
File: 10 KB, 170x170, 1539469653167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5923793
>Thieves' Guild
No comment.
>Mage Towers
Just an okay level, the towers themselves obviously needed more work done and the level could've had some of the towers optional to make it less linear and not a slog. Could've proven to be an interesting "interaction" with magic wielding weirdos, but you know.
>Undercover
What >>5923862 said, and just because being able to ghost T1 was not the main intention of LGS when making the game doesn't mean "Expert-only hardcore garrottes" have to hate on it.
>Escape
Why, because there's no loot requirement? It adds more level diversity and you've just lost a fucking eye, it's not like Garret's going to say "Damn, now I have to stuff 1500 gold pieces in my eye before I'm satisfied and ready to leave"
>Maw
Jump in, jump out and wait for Constantine to get sent to the shadow realm, the linearity makes it boring on replays after the initial surprise of the Maw's nature is gone, so I'm inclined to agree.

>> No.5925357

>>5924937
>>Mage Towers
>>Undercover
i agree with you here

>>Escape
This is just my oppinion but i dont find the first half of this level fun. I dont find wondering around in caves or those enemies fun

>> No.5925364

>>5924937
>>5925357
not the anon you were replying to by the way

>> No.5925386

WHY ESCAPE IS SO HARD TO GHOST
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS LGS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.5925407

>>5921683
Dishonored is pretty good even if the powers can make it too easy if you abuse them.

>> No.5925438

>>5925386
Because the game wasn't made with ghosting in mind

>> No.5925449

>>5925357
>I dont find wondering around in caves or those enemies fun
The frogs shall know no fear. Fair enough though, the caves tickle my fancy for bizarreness enough so I enjoy the romp through 'em.

>> No.5925458

Thief, and other games: https://mega.nz/#F!Ht9y2YBD!feWo0eF3BXw1hDiGpAOsew
Straight rips, install not required, tested to work on Windows 7 x64
Thank me later

>> No.5925460

>>5925458
>Drakan
That's something I haven't heard of in a while.

>> No.5925571

>>5925449
to be fair im one of those
>Expert-only hardcore garrottes
i just also like undercover

>> No.5925770

why was the trilogy a european release?

>> No.5925826

Has anyone here played T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age and could comment on the overall quality of it? Having a fan expansion pack with a female protagonist instead of Garrett sounds quite peculiar.

>> No.5925993

>>5925826
It's more consistenty good than Thief 2 in my opinion, but it's not as good *overall*. The main problems with T2X are that the game is pretty easy and that some missions are very short. However it has some incredible missions that are classics, such as Down Among Dead Men and The Grand Hotel. It's highly recommended.

>> No.5926603

>>5925826
-Missions are great. New mechanics are great. Briefing videos are done in a nice Thief art style.
-Protagonist is kinda bland, character voices have inconsistent mic quality.
-Hammer instead of a blackjack is stupid and the full motion CGI cutscenes look retarded with their bad animations and no connection to the Thief artstyle.
-Final mission is crap.
This mission >>5897461 has a nice winter atmosphere

>> No.5926708

>>5924937
My problem with Undercover is that as soon as you realize that the alarm will set off no matter what, it's easier to just restart the mission and blackjack everyone immediately. Also the enemy AI is really inconsistent in this mission,you think everything's fine and then you see an angry hammerite running after you because you probably made a mistake 10-15 minutes ago and didn't realize it. You just don't have the same feedback that the normal missions offer.
Shame though, I really like the idea.

>> No.5926804

>>5926708
Two simple fixes would fix that mission.
1. Make the loot goal closer to the total amount of loot that is not in the path of any hammerites so you can steal it without causing an alarm
2. Make it so that the curse around the talisman causes an alarm instead of damaging you and blessing it away disables the alarm

>> No.5926830

>>5925993
>>5926603
>Expansion is really easy
That's a shame. Thanks for the info anons, going to check it out later.

>> No.5928362
File: 93 KB, 900x319, 2012-12-10-Dating-Simian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like to play with low gamma, but damn I hate seeing my own face

>> No.5928824

>>5928362
Why are you playing with the lights on? And if you're getting reflections why does your display have gloss? Is it a CRT? :o I wanna play Thief on a CRT too. I wish I had the space to build a 1998 PC so I could play vanilla TDP in Software rendering

>> No.5930501

>>5922856
Undercover does have the shitty switches mechanism and the fact that you always alarm the guards when you pick the talisman, but the map design is great as is the atmosphere and the environment (it's great that you finally see what a Hammer temple looks like).
Escape almost completely reuses an already existing map and has that shitty corridor segment.

>>5923793
Wrong, it's:
Thieves' Guild
Escape
Strange Bedfellows

>> No.5930781

>>5930501
What's wrong with Bedfellows

>> No.5931018

Anyone else love Bonehoard?

>> No.5931024

>>5898913
I actually think it left it open for a sequel where you play as the girl that garret meets at the end.