[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 620x355, Blood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5894085 No.5894085 [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to ask here, what exactly is the "thing" I'm supposed to be getting better to get better at an early shooter like this? You know what I mean, in Super Mario Bros its jump and turn timing, as well as secret locations. In a modern shooter, its how to use your cover and aim accurately, as well as use your resources efficiently. In a game like Dark Souls, it's dodge timing, parry timing, and how to build your character well(this applies to most RPGs as well). But this game is so fucking chaotic I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to get better at. It seems like the only consistent thing I could do would be to replay levels over and over again and memorize what near exact inputs work, with little to no understanding of why they work. For example, say I walk into a courtyard with a few enemies with guns, sometimes I'll have enough time to blast all of them only taking a little bit of damage, but sometimes I'll walk out into the same courtyard and get shredded down to nothing in a second, with no notable "mistake" or real difference between the two attempts. I want to play through the game because I love the aesthetics of it, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get better at it.

>> No.5894106

>>5894085
Congratulations, you have figured you've got rused. How refreshing, for a change.

THE PROBLEM IS YOU ARE PLAYING HORSESHIT TO BEGIN WITH. THERE IS NO RHYME OR REASON - AND NEVER WAS, JUST A MINDLESS RECITATION OF TROPES LIFTED FROM ELSEWHERE WHERE THEY MADE INCOMPARABLY MORE SENSE TOO.

>> No.5894110

>>5894085
Crouch. Learn how to throw dynamite. Use your doctor's bag.

>> No.5894259

>>5894110
You also need to see which weapons work best on which enemies.

Use the shotgun and pitchfork to crowd control zombies, Tommy gun to stun lock Cultists, so on and so on.

>> No.5894271

>>5894259
Flares and dynamite for zombies, spray can works also. Shotgun doesn't always kill them in one blast.

>> No.5894895

>>5894085
Crouch and/or jump to throw off the aim of cultists. Memorize the stages. Practice. Play on middle difficulty.

>> No.5894909

>>5894085
>that feeling when you master the use of dynamite
feels good, meng

>> No.5894942

This game is unique in that you need to find out what weapons work best on enemies, and you need to figure out how to clear rooms quickly. Also, contrary to what you might think, this game isn't all that different from your modern fps example, in that you need to use cover and be smart about your surroundings. The notion that old shooters didn't rely on some amount of careful play is a misnomer, and particularly so in the case of doom-inspired build games (which were often made by those who played too much doom and now found it too easy). In this game, much of your hardship welcome from the hitscan enemies. You will have to practice jump and crouch dodging of the attacks, or just hide behind walls as able.

>> No.5895361

>>5894106
>>5894110
>>5894259
>>5894271
>>5894895
>>5894909
>>5894942
Thanks, I probably won't ever get very good at it but at least this gives a direction to head for.

>> No.5895380

I don't think I will ever be good enough for higher difficulty myself, but good mobility and use of cover will get you a long way through Blood.

>> No.5895784

>>5895361
>>5895380
I played through it recently on well done and it wasn't as bad as I remember. I think most of it was due to technical limitations at the time in terms of controls. I did think Shadow Warrior was tougher than I remembered when I played that recently, but then everything kinda clicked and I think I just remembered how to play build games.

>> No.5896219

Contrary to what everyone says, crouching and jumping is more risky than anything on well done.
Using cover around the corners, being quick and precise about it and never hesitating to spam that flare gun secondary fire as long as you have the ammo is the best way to stay alive and not reload, even if you don't have the levels layouts and encounters memorized.
One good example : Death Wish E1M1 has a really cool encounter towards the end of the level, a handful of gargoyles, about 15-20 cultists of all colors and a horde of zombies.
You can run, jump and crouch like a maniac, spend half of your shotgun ammo and some dynamite, pick up the Tesla gun from the blue cultist while jumping over zombies and spraying the other cultists with your tommy gun, use the tesla to kill the gargoyles and barely escape with your life, fucking pumped and feeling pretty good about yourself.
Or you can see this mass of enemies when the house blows up to reveal them, fire two rounds of flare gun alt fire and you've already eliminated all the cultists, most of the gargoyles and some zombies instantly.
And there's nothing wrong with playing either way.

>> No.5896361
File: 65 KB, 217x394, 1512208972789.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What the fuck do you do
Literally have better reaction times and will suck if you don't adapt. Doom zombies at least gave you a frame of animation before shooting you, Blood's cultists occasionally don't.

>> No.5896374

>>5894085
Aside from aim and cover like you'd expect from any FPS, older FPS also require you to develop intuition regarding how to enter rooms (knowing where to look and be ready to shoot anything quickly), what enemies to prioritize, and what weapon to use in what situation, including knowing what weapon to already have out by default in a given area and what weapon to switch to depending on the enemies you run into and how well you're managing ammo.

To get good at Blood specifically is heavily about knowing how to enter rooms so you can quickly blast away cultists before they shred you. Outshoot and stunlock them so they can't get a shot off, or toss dynamite around corners.