[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 73 KB, 594x613, 8895_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5892518 No.5892518 [Reply] [Original]

is Wild Arms kino?

>> No.5892519

Can we get "kino" wordfiltered across all 4chan already?

>> No.5892526

great game, retarded OP

>> No.5892573

>>5892519
This

>> No.5892608

>>5892518
How's 2?

>> No.5892613

>is wild arms a shit tier meme from /tv/
not too far off to be honest

>> No.5892617

My issue with wild arms is there are progression flags tied to interacting with seemingly random objects, so you can be stuck wandering around an area for 20 minutes before you interact with a wardrobe or something stupid and it triggers a conversation or a required event. It's an easy game even by JRPG standards, but it feels tedious to play because of it. Progression flags feel way more natural in other games.

>> No.5892760
File: 1.35 MB, 2064x1161, 20190618_213415_resized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892518
I recently played it for the first time and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's particularly amazing. The game's concept and atmosphere are pretty cool, and the notion of a fantasy/sci-fi/western JRPG is very novel, so it's a shame that the rest of the game is so generic. The graphics are nothing special and honestly remind me of a game that came out of RPG maker. Every town has the same tileset and music. In fact, there's a dearth of music in this game, it feels like you're always hearing the same 4 or 5 songs. It's full of cliches and archetypes that were already pretty tired in JRPGs from years earlier, and it attempts to play them completely straight. The battle system is ho-hum, and the plot doesn't really take off until the last third of the game, and the fact that you only ever have hte same 3 characters in your party for the entire game really makes it feel stagnant. If you pressed me, I couldn't name a single thing about this game that really "wowed" me, although the ability to name your spells is pretty amusing, and I LOVE the way the anti-sleep spell works.

It came out just before FF7 did in the west, and you can really see how outdated it is by that standard. It's kind of the last wave in the "old school" of JRPGs, and it shows. It really didn't help that I played it sandwiched between Grandia and Skies of Arcadia for the umpteenth time, which are games that managed to be charming and exciting because of the way they shamelessly reveled in "tired" old JRPG tropes, while Wild Arms, on the other hand, just comes off as tired.

All of that said, I'm glad I played it because the whole setting and theme of the game are pretty unique, and it does have some decent moments and amusing dialogue. If you REALLY love JRPGs and think a fantasy/sci-fi/western adventure would be up your alley, then it's worth a shot.

>> No.5892776

>>5892760
>the whole setting and theme of the game are pretty unique
I should add that it really squanders this potential, though. The entire western theme could be easily omitted and nothing would be affected or seem out of place. Most of the enemies, locations and spells seem like they would be right out of a standard fantasy setting. The most it comes into play is the fact that much of the music has a western twang, and one of your characters uses guns as weapons. Would have been nice to see a much greater emphasis on the cowboy angle. The game could have just used more effort overall. It seems like one guy had a really interesting idea for an RPG and then proceeded to execute it in the most disinterested and half-assed way.

>> No.5892781

Which one is the best, the original or the PS2 remake?

>> No.5892782

>>5892781
Why even bother asking that? You should know by now all /vr/ ever offers is OLD GOOD, NEW BAD

>> No.5892789

>>5892776
Oh, and I should say the overworld puzzles were nice, but extremely under-utilized. It was one of the few things that made the game feel unique, but most of the items you got to solve puzzles simply acted as keys, since there was really no depth or complexity to most of them beyond "put out this fire" or "blow up this obvious rock in your way", and many of the tools you got to solve them were often used a few times and then became completely irrelevant. Golden Sun did the whole "Zelda-style puzzles in the overworld" thing way better.

>>5892781
I've not played it, and have no intention to. I know a lot of people like it because it streamlines some things and lets Rudy use guns as his primary weapon instead of just his special, which helps boost the western vibe. I watched some gameplay of the PS2 remake, and the added characters certainly seem like a fantastic bonus, although the updated graphics and interface really only serve to contrast how outdated everything else already was in the original.

>> No.5893290

No. It's ludo.