[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 203 KB, 1019x950, super-mario-kart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5892362 No.5892362 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any point in playing retro sports and racing games you've missed? Because I feel like those two genres have aged the worst and are always superior on newer hardware

>> No.5892365
File: 21 KB, 500x500, lunatique.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>aged

>> No.5892375

>>5892362
counterpoint: SNES mario kart doesn't have blue shells

>> No.5892381

>>5892375
Blue shells were alright in Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash, I think it was Mario Kart Wii that gave them their meme reputation

>> No.5892387
File: 659 KB, 1588x1034, single screen top down racing games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What a coincidence. I just came to the board (never visited before) to ask recommendations on this genre.
I've been playing games that fall under a very specific category: single screen, top down racing games. So far I've found 4 (all enjoyable). They are in pic related. Names from left to right and top to bottom are:
>Badlands, Battle Cross
>Super Off Road, Super Sprint
Any other games you'd recommend that share category?
Thanks

>> No.5892394

>>5892362
What a dumb thread. Putting SMK - an obvious unrealistic racer - as the pic is the cherry on top. Old sports games have some of the most original and fun mechanics. Now if you're talking about is it worth playing FIFA 2001 then FIFA 2002 then FIFA 2003, no. Is it worth playing FIFA 96 if you didn't play it in many years/ at all? Yes, if you're thinking about it it may well be. Sports and racing games are so easy to pick up and play unlike a lot of other retro games, why wouldn't you play them.

>> No.5892395
File: 41 KB, 640x400, Screen2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892387
I remember playing game like this called Excessive Speed on the PC, could never really master the controls though

>> No.5892403

>>5892387
Danny Sullivan's indy heat. Damn fun, also super sprint.

>> No.5892408
File: 12 KB, 216x212, disgusted_hispanic_kid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362
>playing sport games
what's the point? move your fat ass outside for sports.

>> No.5892410

>>5892395
>Excessive Speed
Not single screen, but looks good, I'll try it out
>>5892403
>Danny Sullivan's indy heat
Perfect

Thanks.

>> No.5892439

>>5892410
Buggy run on Master System is good fun with similar mechanics but not single screen. Others are rock n roll racing and rc pro am. Again, not single screen but similar feel.

>> No.5892454

ps1 and N64 racers are worth playing.
anything on snes and gensis is not

>> No.5892460

Arcade style games, yes, for sure, simulation style games, absolutely not. Super Mario Kart is still fun, but Super Baseball Simulator 1000 is a piece of shit today. NBA Jam is still good, but NBA Live 99 is shit.

>> No.5892493

I like tecmobowl, sensible soccer, the original nba jam, nintendo's ice hockey and volleyball way more than any current sports game I've seen. If i wanted hyper realism, i'd just... idk... play the fucking sport outside, maybe?
And are there any volleyball games these days, anyway?

Secondly, as for racing, the cart-style and niche racers are still fun. By "niche" I mean shit like MicroMachines and whatever the fuck its sequel was forced to change its name to and Monster Truck Ralley.

>> No.5892502

>>5892362
>wario stadium
>get lightening bolt
>flatten everyone else mid air
>it takes them ages to hit the ground/reset
Has anyone else here ever achieved this nirvana?

>> No.5892504

>>5892502
Shit, in reference to kart 64, I meant.

>> No.5892513
File: 1.31 MB, 2000x3000, Nintendo1993Calendar-02-vgo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892365
We get it, you don't understand English. The pride you take in stupidity is surreal.

>>5892362
Modern sports and racing games tend to be far more in depth and technical. If you're a fan of them that's usually a good thing, but I also think there's still some appeal in older and more simple takes.

>> No.5892527

it's worth playing as long as it's not a sim, old racing sims are awful compared to modern ones

>> No.5892597

SNES f-zero is fun.

>> No.5892610

>>5892362
>aged
the faggots with shitty hot takes board is that way >>>/v/

>> No.5892612

>>5892408
Winter

>> No.5892615
File: 13 KB, 416x297, 1373241881521.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Old racing games can be fun for their often funky mechanics. Or maybe sometimes they just have really good tracks.

>> No.5892618
File: 804 KB, 1027x1294, agedbadly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892610
How about you stop wallowing in retardation and learn the language you're conversing in.

>> No.5892619

>>5892513
The concept of games "aging" has nothing to do with the english language, it can be translated to any language and it'd still be wrong.

>> No.5892623

>>5892618
>that one .png anon posts every time he gets triggered when people calls him out

>> No.5892627

>>5892619
>>5892623
I'm sorry you're so fucking stupid but it's not my problem. I'm just here to laugh at you every time you whine about not being able to grasp simple concepts.

>> No.5892632

Old sports games might be fun if they were designed to be sim-like. Remember a boxing game for the Genesis where you train up your character between matches and depending on what you did, what you ate, etc can decide how much better you could be doing. Nowadays AAA sport games give you a customize option without limits and presets. Rarely do you get to play as a character from start of his career to the end. For a pure action game though most did age poorly due to limited controls or dev knowledge.

>> No.5892668

>>5892627
>boo hoo you're stupid
Not an argment.
And yes I can grasp that simple concept, that's why I'm saying: The concept is wrong. Did you even read my post?

>> No.5892671

>>5892387
Ignition on PC
I'm also partial to Indy 500 on Atari, but you might not like that one. Same for Sprint Master.

>> No.5892703

>>5892668
I don't need an argument because this isn't a debate. It's a real, simple concept. Whether you want it to be or not is irrelevant so yes when you whine about it I'm going to mock you.

>> No.5892710

>>5892454
That's funny, I can replay several 4th gen racing games like Top Gear and Super Mario Kart like in the 90s while I've got a hard time having fun with most 5th generation racing games. F-Zero X is an exception because that one runs at a higher framerate at least. Out of all genres you shouldn't play a racing game with a low framerate.

>> No.5892720

>>5892619
Okay so can somebody explain this to me? Everything ages, just because it doesn't change doesn't mean it isn't aging, because it's still changing relative to the world that's advancing around it. Aside from that, even if it wasn't something that was technically correct to say, it's part of the vernacular and if you can't understand it from context, then it really says a lot more about your failure to understand than it does about somebody's choice to use a word you don't like.

>> No.5892724

>>5892703
>I-I'm m-mocking you
Get this, your shitposts have "aged badly", how about that?

>> No.5892748

>>5892362
Its fun with a friend, maybe not so much solo

>>5892381
64 didn't have blue shells

>> No.5892765

>>5892720
Everyone understand what people mean by "aged". It's just it seems less like genuine criticism or thought and more like something an impatient whiny person would say. Yeah, technology allowed for better framerate, free camera for 3D games and a lot of QoL improvements (as well as a lot of annoying luggage such as achievements, DLC, etc), but games that are good still manage to be good, even without modern technology. It's the beauty of being able to appreciate old stuff that's still good, in many cases better than modern stuff.
The main reason I disagree with the "aged" is because majority of people use it to shit on a game, rather than to elaborate on why they think it has aged (and when they do, again, they come of as whiny, "it doesn't have continues!", "it runs at low frames!").

>> No.5892775

Gran Turismo 2 has better gameplay than the current title, because the opponent drivers actually race instead of just following the same line over and over

>> No.5892778

>>5892765
I feel the same way, and it's a personal gripe when it's something about how the controls aren't following a modern standard. People act like because something has been that way for X years that it should have just always been that way. Well, I say that it isn't hard to adjust to something different, and if you can't do it, then you shouldn't expect to be taken seriously when you criticize something you aren't able to effectively use.

>> No.5892798

I started playing Super Mario Kart on the Mini Classic and remembered why I stopped playing it in the first place. Such a cheap and frustrating racing experience - mostly down to Luigi being able to go invincible at will, but Yoshi and his eggs get an honourable mention.

I so want to like this game too.

>> No.5892801

>>5892724
I like how you're trying to reframe this like I'm the upset one. Whereas every time this gets posted I get to call you out for being ESL retards and watch you try and justify being ignorant and retarded. Real talk, what do you think I'd even be upset about?

>>5892720
Lol

>> No.5892809

>>5892801
>Real talk, what do you think I'd even be upset about?
You're the kind of person who gets mad just because someone points out a different, less mundane view point. Yes anon, the average joe will tell you that "all these old games SUCK! they have bad graphics and have aged badly!". Guess how seriously I take people like that and their "games age" argument.

>> No.5892810

Sure is great for pick and play and the roster in the 80s and 90s of sport games were stacked. to me they are all different one way or another unless you're talking about atari basketball

>> No.5892812

retro sports games means arcade sports games, which means less time on menues with useless shit, and more direct action rather than "realistic simulation" bullshit.

>> No.5892813

>>5892720
>Everything ages, just because it doesn't change doesn't mean it isn't aging, because it's still changing relative to the world that's advancing around it. Aside from that, even if it wasn't something that was technically correct to say,
It's not "technically correct" at all, that not how the word is used. That would be like saying it's "technically correct" to say that you "modified" your car since you caused a bit of friction on the seat that changed it on a microscopic level. Just because you could think of a context where the word could make sense doesn't mean it's "technically correct", NOBODY is talking about the physical chronological age of the game.
> if you can't understand it from context, then it really says a lot more about your failure to understand than it does about somebody's choice to use a word you don't like.
People do understand it, but like he said other people refuse to accept it as a valid thing in games. You can use whatever words you like and others are free to criticize you on it stating that it's not a legitimate thing. The idea of a game having aged means that you played other games in the meantime so now you're psychologically different and can't handle a game that looks worse, that requires a lot of mental gymnastics and is a weird criticism and that's why some people don't accept it.

>> No.5892815

>>5892387
RC Pro-Am

>> No.5892820

>>5892809
You don't even get what I'm finding funny yet keep insisting I must be upset about it all. You must at least be able to glean wjy that's funny.

>> No.5892825

>>5892820
I already told you I get what people mean by "aged".
I already told you the English language has nothing to do with understand this concept, it can be translated to any other language.
And yes I think you're mad, lol.

>> No.5892826
File: 3.00 MB, 320x200, Gold Rush.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362
>Is there any point in playing retro sports and racing games you've missed?
retro games might have mechanics and/or styles that you won't find anymore in new games

>aged
games don't age; you do

>superior on newer hardware
how is that even relevant?

>> No.5892831

ISS Deluxe and 64 are better than PES and Fifa on modern consoles
NBA Hangtime doesn't have lootboxes and gacha mechanics like the NBA 2K series
and is more fun to play
WWF No Mercy is more deep than the WWE 2K series

>> No.5892834

>>5892825
And I already told you, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. If you try to act like your opinion of it matters and that posting ">aged" with a reaction image makes it less so then I will make fun of you because that's what you deserve. You not getting it is a feature to me, npt a bug.

>> No.5892837

>>5892834
>it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not
It also doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, anon. Getting triggered by a simple reaction image? Really?

>> No.5892843

>>5892362
Snk sport games are a blast to play but any sports game that puts a spin on the genre is usually fun for me. Madden 95 and 97 are still fun for me because scoring 200+ points is easy.

>> No.5892846

>>5892837
So you don't understand what the word triggered means either? Okay lol.

>> No.5892851
File: 78 KB, 400x449, 34091860-item-main-GB-MARIGOLF-A-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying arcade-sports and RPG-sports games age
Man, OP really turning up the gayness today.

>>5892375
>counterpoint: SNES mario kart doesn't have scrub compensation shells
You poor thing.

>> No.5892857

>>5892813
Okay, I understand where you're coming from, but that's not typically what most people mean when they say a game has aged poorly. I've also seen people get 5-6 (You)s with no response other than
>aged
when somebody gives a real criticism of a retro game but happens to use the term "aged badly" in their criticism. This is really nitpicking word choice, and that's my particular gripe with criticism of the word. Typically when I say a game has aged badly (which I've said here before, because it is accepted vernacular among all but the most autistic) I expand on it, usually what I mean is that if you look back on it and compare it with similar games of its era it doesn't compare, or it was a pioneer in its game type but is less worth playing now because something came out a year or two later that does everything better. In that way, it's not invalid to say an old game has aged poorly, and to try and pretend that it's a reasonable defense for the game, or even a reasonable criticism of the comment, is just asinine.

>> No.5892858

>>5892632
There are also concepts that were just never tried much or only have one attempt, such as Big Honor, a golf game where you play through the 30-year career of a professional golfer and see how well you can do.

>> No.5892863

>>5892798
The bullshit is the fun part, if you were crying at just an initially available difficulty level then you'll really suffer at 150cc.

>> No.5892865

>>5892798
This was the first game I ever beat at the tender age of 7. I wish I could be more sympathetic but I cant.

>> No.5892872

>>5892798
god i remember actually being able to play this game when i was younger
ive come back to it recently and get absolutely shafted by the cpu at 150cc
its pretty fun in a lot of ways though because it feels like a real struggle to get first but god damn is it frustrating

>> No.5892874

>>5892857
>I've also seen people get 5-6 (You)s with no response other than
>aged

Now you're on to it.

>> No.5892875

>>5892863
It was 100cc that started to piss me off. It just cheapens the racing dynamic. This is why I always vastly preferred F Zero.

>> No.5892881

>>5892857
I still take issue with it, because what is valuable isn't your comment that it aged, it's your explaining what you meant that has value. If "hasn't aged well" had real strong meaning, then you wouldn't need to explain it in the first place. It would be just as useless as saying "I don't like it" without expounding on why.

When you use phrases like that and don't explain it, then you are speaking empty phrases. When you use phrases like that and then explain it, you are just wasting words. Either way, it encourages people who may not know better to see it as a valid criticism and to try and use it as such, which just drags the entire community's dialogue down in level. I therefore say that the use of "aged badly" or any similar variant should be discarded from discussion of this nature, because it fails to say anything meaningful, and too often leads to empty criticism from those who don't actually have a formulated reason for their opinion and instead simply rely on it to dress up an otherwise empty commentary.

>> No.5892882

>>5892454
>Biker Mice From Mars
>Mario Kart
>Stunt Race FX
>F-Zero
>Micro Machines
>Motocross Maniacs
>RC AM
>Road Rash
>Rock n Roll Racing
>Uniracers

>> No.5892892

>>5892881
I think nitpicking over the wording just creates a needlessly adversarial environment, not that I'm against a bit of banter but if somebody uses the words "aged badly" and doesn't qualify or explain it, then the autists who hate the word should just ignore the post. If the person explains it, and they take issue with the explanation, deconstruct the explanation and reasoning instead of derailing a whole thread because of autism.

>> No.5892898

>>5892892
>I think nitpicking over the wording just creates a needlessly adversarial environment
Then try reddit if you want to play as pretend sophisticated adults when discussing your old electronic amusements.

>> No.5892901

>>5892892
I think using "aged" has become a parroting thing. A buzzword. I think it's fine to punish the use of such buzzwords, to encourage better discussion.
Posting ">aged" and a reaction image is way less autistic than getting triggered over the fact some people don't agree with the use of the buzzword and pretend like the reason they reject it is because they can't understand english.

>> No.5892936
File: 248 KB, 500x273, tumblr_ol823k3dDN1syptjoo2_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892881
>If "hasn't aged well" had real strong meaning, then you wouldn't need to explain it in the first place

This is the core of the issue. Because it doesn't mean "the game is shit" or "I didn't like it" and that's been explained over and over. But the ones who hate the phrase and don't want to understand it will repeat that constantly in an effort to muddy the waters.

If we assume the people conversing in English understand English then there's no need to explain it. But their goal is to erase it from existence so they ask to have it explained every time and then try to shift the discussion away from whatever game it was ro trying to prove to them that the term itself is valid. Understand, that is their real goal, to subvert the language itself.

This is why the only reasonable response is to mock their willful ignorance and not take the bait of trying to pretend there's an actual debate at hand.

>> No.5892941

>>5892612
>Winter
plenty of winter sports numbnuts

>> No.5892943

>>5892898
Okay so if it's just banter then why does saying a game aged poorly trigger you so much? You're the one who needs Reddit because you clearly want to control the narrative and you've decided "aged" is thought crime because somebody told you your favorite game aged badly.

>> No.5892949

>>5892375
someone put a stupid amount of time into testing thousands of races with different groups of people and determined that the blue shell has little to no effect on the outcome of a race. it's a tool to make people in last place feel like they're contributing and to keep the person in 1st on edge, but they're statistically likely to win anyway.

>> No.5892950

>>5892936
>Because it doesn't mean "the game is shit" or "I didn't like it"
It mostly does, though.
Refer to this post: >>5892765

>> No.5892953

>>5892943
Not the anon you were arguing with, just calling you out for sounding like a fag bitching about "adversarial environments". By all means screencap this thread so you can post it on social media so you can whine toxicity or whatever triggers normalfags

>> No.5892964

>>5892950
It's related but distinct. People who false flag are also common. Really though anyone genuinely curious can Google and figure it out within minutes regardless id whatever poor deffinitions anons give so it's no excuse for clinging to ignorance.

>> No.5892970

>>5892964
Anon, are you OK? Everyone here understands what people mean by "aged". It's just punished because it's a lazy attempt at being critical, when in reality they're not.

>> No.5892978

My favorites are:
Looney Tunes B-Ball
NHL 94
Top Gear 2
ISS
Tecmo Bowl

>> No.5893019

>>5892970
I'm fine and happy but reading responses many many people here don't and that's comedy fuel.

>> No.5893075

>>5892362
>Is there any point in playing retro sports and racing games you've missed? Because I feel like those two genres have aged-

games don't age, stopped reading, thread hidden, god bless

>> No.5893076

>>5892970
>Lazy attempt at being critical
>Better respond with my own lazy criticism in the form of
>Aged

>> No.5893114

>>5892612
Winter sports?!

>> No.5893717

>>5893075
Lol sorry reality is too much for you to handle.

>> No.5894514

>>5892362
Is there a full screen hack for Super Mario Kart? It would be nice not to have half the screen wasted in single player.

>> No.5894531

>>5892362
Somewhere around the beginning of the 21st century, tons of developers completely gave up on trying to infuse driving games with any style or excitement. Hundreds of technically competent games with dreary, dismal environments and dogshit whiny alternative rock soundtracks. The Burnout series, for instance, is great, but what moron thought bitch-ass high school breakup music was a good fit for going 200mph and killing everyone?

The bright and exuberant attitude of Sega and Namco's 80s/90s catalog captures the spirit of what makes driving fun and exciting more than any simulator. Some people are trying to make stylish driving games these days, but nearly all of them are infected with synthwave shit in the biggest case of missing the fucking point I've ever seen. Why the fuck couldn't Kavinsky have called his shit album literally anything else?

>> No.5894539

>>5892408
>Playing FPS
What's the point? move your fat ass to the army

>> No.5894545

>>5894539
>playing outside with friends in the park
>signing up to follow orders rigorously, take human lives, and got shot at and killed

Fuck me Anon, what's the difference?

>> No.5894586
File: 81 KB, 600x598, rc-de-go-u-slus-playstation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892387

I love games like this. You gotta try RC De GO! It's not exactly "single-screen top down", but plays exactly like one.

>> No.5894589
File: 1.77 MB, 2792x2032, mariokart64front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892748

>> No.5894595

>>5892612
Hockey
Cross country skiing
Downhill skiing
Skating
Snowshoeing
Snowmobiling
Jerking off

>> No.5894621

>>5892949
Sounds like uneducated bullshit you pulled right out of your ass.

>> No.5894741

>>5894531
Blue Sky Gaming? BLUE SKY GAMING.

>> No.5894797

>>5892949
In what game? There are many different MK games.

>> No.5894920

For as perfect as SNES emulation is purported to be, I find Mario Kart to be a little wonky. I played it on original hardware for the first time a few weeks ago and I think it's a lot of fun.

>> No.5895034

>>5892362
Old-school racing and sports games are often not designed to be particularly realistic, so they end up with interesting gameplay nuances you don't see in modern games.
Old sim style stuff is generally just outright obsoleted by more recent ones though.

>> No.5895040

>>5894531
>The bright and exuberant attitude of Sega and Namco's 80s/90s catalog captures the spirit of what makes driving fun and exciting more than any simulator

It's fine to have an opinion, but understand not everyone agrees. Sims get made and are popular with good reason.

>> No.5895062
File: 112 KB, 642x481, super-monaco-grand-prix-genesis-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362
1. Nostalgia
2. Simple but fun gameplay
3. A E S T H E T I C S
4. Old rosters
5. Price? Old sports games are almost free

I still play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! even though I have Creed:Rise to Glory on my Vive Pic related is a thrilling racing game that I still play and love.

>> No.5895412

>>5894595
>Hockey
lakes don't freeze enough here for that
>Cross country skiing
I guess it's possible the few days there's enough snow on the ground
>Downhill skiing
no hills here
>Skating
see hockey
>Snowshoeing
see cross country skiing
>Snowmobiling
Why would I spend all that money on a vehicle I can use 2/3 times a year
>Jerking off
well, looks like I found my Winter Sport

>> No.5895438

>>5892460
This, something like Out Run or Virtua Racing is still great, but the early Gran Turismo games are redundant and pointless.

>> No.5895442

>>5894545
your cowardice

>> No.5895492
File: 439 KB, 940x705, IKgVDyq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5895438
I think the early Gran Turismo games are super comfy even though they do look like ass by today's standards. It is possible to apply some turd polish by using an OpenGL renderer on an emulator.

>> No.5895541

>>5895062
>A E S T H E T I C S
God damn would you fag loving redditors stop posting this

>> No.5895563

>>5892362
>aged
What are you doing on /vr/? Fuck off to /v/, zoomer.

>> No.5895591

>>5892362
I don't see a point in playing old sports games, but I also don't see a point in playing new sports games either. I've never understood the people who unironically buy yearly madden releases or whatever.

There were a couple sports games I liked though, like NFL blitz. But overall its just a forgettable vidya game genre

>> No.5895594

>>5894531
> Why the fuck couldn't Kavinsky have called his shit album literally anything else?
outrun is a fine album even if the style is ironically the complete opposite of the style of the actual outrun.

>> No.5895603

>>5895563
Learn English retard.

>> No.5895619

>>5895492

This game has a very particular 90’s charm to it that makes it worthwhile despite the fact that it’s often hard to even distinguish corners in the tracks. The 90’s alternative rock soundtrack definitely constributes toward it.

>> No.5897282

Bump

>> No.5897435

I mean, in terms of basketball, NBA Street Vol 2 is an amazing game. NBA Jam TE is an amazing game, NBA Hangtime is an amazing game, and NBA 2K on the Dreamcast is one of the best versions in that entire series.

>> No.5897447

Well after 100+ replies I hope you realize the answer is most definitely yes.

>> No.5897448

>>5897447
meh, ill pass

>> No.5897804

I may be in the minority here. But I prefer the original Super Mario kart over many of the other later entries. It does have the best balanced gameplay, no blue turtle shells, the coin system is perfect, and the game runs at a smooth 60fps. Unlike Mario kart 64, which is locked at 30fps.

>> No.5897808

>>5897804
it's the best in the series, followed by 64 and then 8 deluxe

>> No.5897816

>>5895492
they look better than a lot of modern driving games, and fucking with them through emulation, especially outputting any signal that isn't 240p analogue into a 15khz CRT makes the game look far worse

>> No.5897819

The only modern racing game I can think of that's meaningfully better than retro counterparts is Sonic & All Stars transformed, which is basically just Mario Kart but better (and I love Mario Kart). Especially if you like singleplayer, cause the computer racers actually put up a fight in that game and are challenging to beat, unlike in Mario Kart. F-Zero X and GX are still dabes though
>>5892381
They were alright in 64 cause they hit people along the way instead of singling out the guy in first place and screwing him. Also they weren't as common

>> No.5898000

>>5897808
I'd almost agree with this, but I haven't played 64 in ages, and I think I might put Super at a very close second behind Deluxe. That 200cc is too fucking good, takes MK out of "kart racer" territory and makes it a full-blown pure arcade racer. Add the fucking phenomenal jazz fusion on the soundtrack and you've got the best Mario Kart.

>> No.5898048
File: 24 KB, 474x266, downloadfile-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best racing game ever in the history of ever. Fight me.
>you can use missiles to win the race

>> No.5898052

>>5895603
>if you disagree about the "games age" concept, then you don't know english!
Your schtick got old a week ago.

>> No.5898053

>>5892362
nonsensical premise

sage

>> No.5898139

>>5898000
>I'd almost agree with this, but I haven't played 64 in ages, and I think I might put Super at a very close second behind Deluxe. That 200cc is too fucking good, takes MK out of "kart racer" territory and makes it a full-blown pure arcade racer. Add the fucking phenomenal jazz fusion on the soundtrack and you've got the best Mario Kart.

If anything, Mario Kart 64 is one of the best 4-player party games for the system. I think it is a good follow up to SMK on the SNES.

>> No.5898143

>>5892362
Depends really. Shit like mario kart is alright, why not? Sure, I get that a lot of people playing stuff like outrun were dreaming about racing games being more realistic as a lot of those who played nba jam probably wanted some basketball game that's closer to real life and at the time this was the closest shit they could get. At the same time, some liked them for what they were and even swear by 2600's enduro to this day.
I myself am very fond of top down/isometric racers

>> No.5898150

>>5892970
>"aged"

Everyone here except you understands that anyone using that term for media is a complete imbecile.

>> No.5898153

>>5898000
>That 200cc is too fucking good
i agree with you that 200cc really elevated it, and I'd put it only slightly below 64

i've played 64 recently, as in the last few weeks, and though i have no nostalgia for it i think it's the squirreliness and strangeness of the handling, the treacherousness of some of the tracks, and the odd primitive aesthetic that make me prefer it slightly to 8, which is of course a smooth hyper-polished nearly flawless (artistically the anti-grav kart transformation detracts minorly) product, though ultimately somewhat less interesting to me

>> No.5898170

Depends on the game. Chase cam racers from the 80's are underwhelming, the tech just wasn't there so you won't get any interesting turns, memorable tracks or cool racing lines. That said traffic dodging and speed control can be fun. Top down racers are better when it comes to tracks and handling. Mode 7 racers are the best of both worlds and are still worth playing, they're simple but still really enjoyable. 3D arcade racers are definitely worth playing too, modern arcade racers didn't really evolve beyond them. When it comes to anything more simmy though that's a different question, besides stuff like F355 Challenge and GP Legends the driving will be really bad compared to what's out today, so if you're going to play them it will be for the campaigns and other features.

>> No.5898172

>>5892362
2 different viewpoints. Sport sims are more complex and "realistic" now then they ever could have been. Older sports games made to be fun replicas tend to better than newer ones.

For an example, hockey. The modern NHL games take more things into account, your body movement, letting the puck slide in front of you without you controlling it, being unable to control it while shooting, shooting while moving, different shot types, actual strategy to get around defenders and get past the goalie. If you're into realistic sports games then you'd probably prefer that. On the other hand you have games like ice hockey/blades of steel where you move around fast and you just have to react faster than your opponent, simple premise where you only need to be comfortable with the mechanics to be good. See a guy open, hit a button. Goalie is on the far side of the goal, hit a different button. It's simple but it's a lot of fun. You also have NHL 94 where npcs may be more agressive or reserved depending on your position on the ice, it also has correct penalties. It's not harder, but just needs a bit of a different play style. Depending on what you like about games you could pick up any of those and have a good time. I also think EA's tennis game from the early-mid 90s was really good too, I don't even like tennis.

>> No.5898178

>>5898170
>That said traffic dodging and speed control can be fun.
This, but there's also the fact that the best ones--games like Outrun and Hang-On--look and sound better than everything that came later

>> No.5898245

>>5898052
It's not a shtick it's basic reality. You are attempting to subvert language because it expresses concepts you don't want to accept. I find that reprehensible and will call you out every single time.

>> No.5898249

>>5898245
>a vague concept is reality
It's not. Your brain has aged badly.

>> No.5898264

>>5892775
It also has rubberbanding.

>> No.5898275

>>5895541
I cant enjoy a game if it doesn't have an art direction that interests me, regardless of how good the gameplay is I won't want to come back if I don't like looking at it.

>> No.5898289

>>5898170
>Chase cam racers from the 80's are underwhelming, the tech just wasn't there so you won't get any interesting turns, memorable tracks or cool racing lines.

OutRun literally has the same track every time, and based on your speed, the same traffic patterns. Learning it is amazingly fun.

>> No.5898291

>>5898249
The concept isn't vague at all. That you still think it is and can't understand why the term exists and is used is precisely why I make so much fun of you. You're a fucking retard and boast about it like it's a badge if honor.

>> No.5898307

>>5898291
>The concept isn't vague at all.
Explain (empirically) how "games age" isn't a vague and subjective concept.
>can't understand why the term exists
Again with this shit? Everyone understand what your kind means by "aged". You just get mad when people make fun of you for saying games age. We understand the concept, and we punish you for having such a bad grasp at appreciating media like video games.
>b-but I'm making fun of you!
It's the other way around, aged brainlet.

>> No.5898320

NBA Jam and NFL Blitz were actually pretty good.

>> No.5898356

>>5898153
It might be mostly nostalgia speaking, but 64 did seem to have the best tracks. Especially the circuit courses, Royal Raceway is still the best of that type and the most fun retro course in Deluxe.

>> No.5898362

>>5898356
It's not nostalgia, the Raceway tracks are the best Mario Kart tracks and maybe the best tracks in any of these go-kart racing games in general, since they actually are designed like real life go-kart circuits (well, except for a few fantasy elements like the long jump, etc).
These tracks were designed so that you can exploit the mini turbo mechanic to the fullest, too.
Other games like Diddy Kong Racing or CTR are more like "adventure racing" games rather than go-kart circuits.

>> No.5898378

>>5898307
>Explain (empirically) how "games age" isn't a vague and subjective concept.

No. See this is the bait because you want to fuel endless debate over terms instead of discussion. It's common English phrasing >>5892618 and if you don't understand it that's your problem but it's also no reason to derail every thread because you're too lazy to learn. I am not here to teach you.

>> No.5898453

>>5898378
All you've got is a scan of a page in a book.
I'm not saying you can't use the term if you want, but cope with people making fun of you, not everyone agrees that term is accurate.
If you cared to actually read other people's replies instead of victimizing yourself, you'd see there was actual argument and discussion instead of just arguments over semantics, see:
>>5892765
>>5892778

>> No.5898456
File: 74 KB, 318x400, 1540332621116.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ctrl+f
>Super High Impact Football
>0 results
>mfw

>> No.5898529

>>5898289
Yes but the track itself is a random collection of long easy turns that at most just demand you to slow down a bit. Outrun and other racers like it can't do any challenging turns like hairpins, or have natural lines, they're very limited that's why they have so much traffic dodging. I don't think they're bad per se but they are definitely very simplistic and don't capture the fun of racing like later, more advanced games do.

>> No.5898581

>>5892362
It's not retro but FIFA 2004 is the greatest sports game ever made

>> No.5898976

>>5898000
why does no one care for double dash

>> No.5898978

>>5898976
I haven't played that in even longer. I liked it, but is there anything special about it if you're playing alone?

>> No.5899002

>>5898976
Double Dash is double trash
it sucks man

>> No.5899004

>>5898581
it was released on the PS1 so it IS retro
and so is FIFA 2005

>> No.5899019

>>5898976
I think it's great. But it's the last home console MK I've played much of (apart from MK:DS), so I can't compare it to the newer ones. From what I've seen on youtube the newer ones seem similar though. MK64 is my favourite.

>> No.5899138

>>5898529
>Yes but the track itself is a random collection of long easy turns that at most just demand you to slow down a bit.

It's not a random assortment though, and there are hairpin turns in the later areas, it just doesn't come across as such due to the graphical limitations but it's obviously a greater than 180 degree turn.
There are even lines to follow, like try the first beach area, the final turn there is a hard left, gentle right, hard left snake. If you don't start the turn correctly from the left side of the track then you're guaranteed to hit the buildings at the right end of it at full speed.
You can even turn off most of the traffic if you set the game to it's easiest setting, just to practice the tracks.

I get that you prefer modern sim racers, but older games with love put into them shouldn't be overlooked, they can have a greater degree of depth than a modern racer that was made by a shit developer. Offhand, I also think rally games need to make a comeback, sliding around in the dirt was super fun.

>> No.5899168

>>5892748
Impressive how zoomers are able to speaks with such confidence about games they didn't play.

>> No.5899243

>>5898453
I post that same scan because it highlights your willful ignorance and attempts to change language you don't agree with. I have read the arguments you people make and they are all riddiculous which is why I don't even bother to try and educate and certainly don't enter debate on the topic. If you can't handle or grasp what the concept means it's not my problem that's your own decision to cling to stupidity.

>> No.5899257

>>5899243
>I have read the arguments you people make and they are all riddiculous
Oh, okay, "ridiculous". Nice counterpoint.
Nobody wants to change the language, you idiot. We're debating ideas not words.
Accept that not everyone buy into the video games age theory, and most of the time the word "aged" is mentioned in video game discussion, it comes from a very low IQ individual.

>> No.5899262

>>5898275
I was talking about the posting of the word
>A E S T H E T I C S
that anon made, which has been run into the ground by inarticulate faggots like those who keep posting SOUL/SOULLESS. It's just overdone, gay, and pretentious. There are other words to describe how something looks besides running the word "aesthetic" in the ground like a faggot who probably thinks they're smart for knowing that word.

>> No.5899268

>>5899257
No because it's not a theory, it's a basic reality. You not getting it changes nothing.

>> No.5899269

>>5899262
it's A E S T H E T I C, without the S at the end.

>> No.5899271

>>5899268
>No because it's not a theory, it's a basic reality.
Your perception of reality is dictated by a scan of a page from a book. Your bran really has aged badly.

>> No.5899283

>>5899271
That you still don't understand that (or pretend to) is exactly the issue. You have made it so any time anyone uses a common and meaningful term that it must turn into a debate about whether you agree with it or not. You can throw out insults all you want but your disgusting agenda will never succeed. I am not weakening my language to stoop to your level of ignorace. If you can't learn English, find another language.

>> No.5899287
File: 12 KB, 214x216, 1271012371023.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5899283
>he STILL thinks it's an English thing
you're hopeless

>> No.5899293

>>5899287
It is a concept expressed by an English word. Whether you can't or won't understand it is meaningless but trolling any thread where it's used is unacceptable.

>> No.5899295
File: 12 KB, 234x393, 43543453.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5899293
>EOP thinks concepts can only be expressed by english words

>> No.5899310

>>5899295
English isn't my only language, it's simply the one we're conversing in. And make no mistake is fundamentally is you not having a good grasp of language and the ideas it conveys. And month after month instead of trying to learn you wallow in your stupidity and boast about it like it's a badge of pride. Calling you merely stupid is practically a compliment at this point.

>> No.5899320

>>5899310
>not having a good grasp of language and the ideas it conveys
But several posters here besides me have said they do understand what people generally mean when they say a piece of media "aged". It's been laid out. You just don't want to/can't address to any of the arguments provided because you were triggered by a reaction image and your rage is making you engage into an unwinnable argument you keep running around with.

>> No.5899337

>>5899320
They think they understand but they never actually do and get hung up on other uses of the word. That's the point. You are proud of your ignorance.

>> No.5899358

>>5899337
>n-no you don't understand
whatever you say man. go be angry about reaction images and greentext somewhere else.

>> No.5899381

>>5899358
I don't care about reaction images I care about trolls trying to subvert language and stiffle discussion because they're too stupid and lazy to really understand what something means. This is a board dedicated to old games. How well certain ones have aged either good or bad is a fundamental asprct of discussion. Again if you can't handle that it's not my problem in any way but I am not weakening my own scope of discussion to coddle your ignorance.

So yes, if someone happens to use the term and you post one of your shitty reaction images to troll the thread abd stop discussion I will call out your agenda and remind you how fucking stupid you are.

>> No.5899457

>>5892362
I never cared for the SNES version of Mario Kart. It was like driving while horribly nearsighted. It might have been improved with a different viewing angle.

>> No.5899461

Some racing games have mechanics unsurpassed or just lost to time.
Find another racing game as fast as ballistics for instance

>> No.5899647
File: 23 KB, 296x412, 3vin3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5899381
>How well certain ones have aged either good or bad is a fundamental asprct of discussion.

It's really not, what you're actually discussing is what you feel of a game and others reflect off of you.
Games just are. Like poker or chess, they exist as themselves. Even different revisions of the same title for different consoles are not better or worse, they simply are what they are.

>> No.5899668

>>5899457
Would have been cool if the map didn't take up half the screen, but the viewing distance never seemed like a problem to me. Maybe it the "camera" could have come up a little, but you can see into the distance pretty decently.

>> No.5899678

>>5892362
Mario Kart definitely kept getting better, SMK MK64 and MKSC are all total shit in comparison to MK8
But i don't think it's true for all racing games.
F-Zero X and GX are both fucking amazing, but SNES and GBA F-Zero's still are good games in a different style

>> No.5900004

>>5899381
>How well certain ones have aged either good or bad is a fundamental asprct of discussion
Literally no way of actually measuring how much a game has "aged", it's a buzzword, zoomer. I get that you like to use it because you've read some reviewer use it around so you thought it'd make you look more critical using it, but all you're really saying is "I don't have the patience to adapt to something I'm not used to"

>> No.5900127

>>5900004
It's not a buzzword and I'm one of the oldest regular posters on this whole board. It's you not wanting to understand the true meaning who is the entitled child. Grow the fuck up and learn what concepts mean or shut up when others are talking. Your whining that we use terms that go over your head is no excuse, we're not your fucking teacher.

>> No.5900345
File: 8 KB, 320x200, images.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362
This lil fella is one of my favourites.

>> No.5900450
File: 20 KB, 300x340, 20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5900127
>It's not a buzzword and I'm one of the oldest regular posters on this whole board

>> No.5900464

>>5892362
I find the early years of 3D racing games to be my favorite. Especially what Midway was doing in the genre at the time.

And old school sports games are WAY better than later stuff. Especially the late 80s and throughout the 90s. NBA Jam, Tecmo Super Bowl, Neo Turf Masters, Super Dodge Ball, and League Bowling have all aged like wine.

>> No.5900465

>>5900464
nooo anon, you don't understand, they have aged badly, modern games are inherently better!

>> No.5900481

>>5892362
Worst thing about retro Mario Kart is how the AI does whatever the fuck it wants and how well you do while being 1st is meaningless since they can just surpass you at will

>> No.5900482

>>5900450
I'M INCREDIBLY OLD!!!!

>> No.5900487

>>5900481
poor baby :'(

>> No.5900578

>>5900450
Nice reply. It perfectly proves everything I've been saying. You have no interest in learning, no interest in discussion. You use meme images and literal buzzwords and cry that people who use English propertly must be the kinds of troll you are. You can take your shitty agenda and shove it up your thirteen year old asshole.

>> No.5900779

>>5900578
>You have no interest in learning, no interest in discussion.
Neither do you it seems.

>> No.5900785

>>5892362
Final Lap Twin on PC Engine was an unconventional homeport.

the main mode is a janky Dragon Quest parody where the battles are all races. Pretty average difficulty except the final boss

>>5892387
Turbografx has a series called Motoroader. the third game was a spinoff with single screen races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVOyw6sYK0

>> No.5900787

>>5900578
At this point there's nothing else to discuss: people already posted arguments about the "aged" metaphor, and how it's mostly used by people without patience, rather than using actual critical thinking.
But you said it's "ridiculous", so whatever, you don't want to discuss either, you just want to "win" an internet fight you picked up just because a reaction image triggered the fuck out of you.

>> No.5900812

>>5892362
>Is there any point in playing retro sports and racing games you've missed?

Yes. Even some Atari 2600 sports/racing games are worth playing if only for 15 minutes to go "Ah, that was nice."

For instance, Enduro is an incredible racer. It looks great. It plays great. It's manic fast twitch excitment. It makes you feel like you're going fast better than a lot of current gen racing games do. It's a blast, and hard as hell.

Golf on the 2600 is surprisingly fun if you read the manual and actually figure out how to play. It's a good relaxing time. As is Mario Golf on the Game Boy.

Old doesn't mean bad, it usually just means "simpler but still fun". Depends on what you're looking for.

>> No.5900840

>retro sports bad
There's not much to compare to Super Dodge Ball or any Kunio-kun/River City Ransom sports title.
>retro racing bad
Still not much to compare to Rollcage 1 & 2. Bonus points to LEGO Racers.

>> No.5900915

>>5892724
you have conceded the only relevant point.

>> No.5901682

>>5894586
>>5900785
Thanks!

>> No.5901768

>>5900787
>and how it's mostly used by people without patience, rather than using actual critical thinking.

I disagree, but the real problem is that the term can't be used at all without you posting shitty reaction images and wanting to turn it into a debate on whether the term can be used at all. That is why I will never ever back down on this. You seek to cheapen language and discussion and that disgusts me.

>>5892365
>>5892610

>> No.5901772

>>5892362
Like always: it depends. Just because it is old doesn't mean it's bad, and just because it is old it doesn't mean another game has come out that does everything it does, and better.

>> No.5901789

>>5900578
People are such pussies nowadays, one guy did 1 well placed meme to trigger newfags and it became the main subject of that thread.
For some veterans the original MK is still good and unique in his way and btw I always thought that the Snes version was strongly funnier that the 64 one, the only good thing in MK64 is the 3-4 player mode and ffs it still wasn’t well done because you cannot play with the AI and this remove music because the N64 wasn’t enough powerful to make everything work together in the same time.

>> No.5901798

>>5899269
And it sounds retarded and pretentious with or without the s.

>> No.5901838

>>5892936
>Why say lot words when few do trick
>No say games age
>Just say game bad
>No need explain

>> No.5901850

>>5901838
How a game ages is very distinctly different from a game being bad. That's the whole fucking point, you retards refuse to learn. Is this a false flag post or are we truly back to the start?

>> No.5901868

>>5901850
Actually just making fun of the person I replied to who simultaneously said "saying a game aged just means it's shit" and also in the same post said "people say a game aged but don't explain it" AND "people say a game aged but then explain it so it's a waste for them to use the A word that hurts my fee-fees"

>> No.5901946

>>5901868
Ohh so you just plain can't read then. Not surprising at this point.

>> No.5902262

>>5901768
>I disagree
Let's agree to disagree, then.
>the term can't be used at all without you posting shitty reaction images and wanting to turn it into a debate on whether the term can be used at all.
You can use it, but people will reaction image and greentext it because we're tired of seeing kids post "this game has aged badly" when in reality they mean they dislike how the game doesn't have free camera like modern games, or uses a continue system or whatever it is that annoys modernfags.
>That is why I will never ever back down on this.
Fine by me. You don't have any argument besides that one .png, which isn't even about video games.

>> No.5902270

>>5902262
>Let's agree to disagree, then.

No. If someone uses the term incorrectly it's fine to call that out, but claiming that them using it wrong means the phase itself should be removed entirely or always responded to with with baity reaction images to derail things will never be acceptable.

>> No.5902283

>>5902270
>doesn't want to agree
>doesn't want to disagree either
jeez guy.
Here's the thing. "this game has aged badly" has been posted for years now, and at some point, it has become a buzzword. Maybe at one point people tried to be critical with that word, but it has lots its meaning. It's like "Overrated".
It just means "thing I don't like" or "thing I can't get used to". The backlash is because of that, not because of semantics, or because of people wanting to erase "aged" from the English language, lol.
Blame all these people who kept parroting the term to the point of losing its original meaning (if there ever was any).

>> No.5902304

>>5902283
I blame both of you.

>> No.5902494

>>5892820
I think what your problem is that you can't see how people can't believe in the philosophic concept of games ageing. You'd be amazed how the perception of something changes when your in a different mood. I'd really appreciate it if you just stayed on unz

>> No.5902496

>>5892387
Top Gear 1 & 2 on the SNES are great

>> No.5902501

>>5902494
I can see why they don't but it's because I deem them too stupid and lazy to actually understand. Regardless it's a real thing whether they understand it or not, but their lack should not give them free reign to derail any thread where it is discussed.

>> No.5902509

>>5892851
>>counterpoint: SNES mario kart doesn't have scrub compensation shells
>You poor thing.
tpbp

>> No.5902512

>>5902283
That's what the big brained nibba doesn't realize everyone plays games likes it or doesn't like it and THEN comes up with the reasons they don't like it afterwards, we can have a different philosophic approach to our video games this isn't concrete stuff like racial differences in iq.

>> No.5902515

>>5892362
Super Mario Kart still brings TONS of joy at Christmas time. Every year is a thing since I was 8. I'm 35 now and don't think this game
>aged
poorly

It's all about replay value to me

>Blue Shells
top kek

>> No.5902529
File: 1 KB, 400x400, 6LlqCea.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5902501
Holy Mary mother of god

>> No.5902532
File: 204 KB, 404x416, 1429164195424.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5902529

>> No.5902535

>>5902529
No we're very much on point. If you think games don't age it's because you don't understand the context if the word. If you're happy with that ignorance be my guest, but continue derailing threads where the term is used and I'll continue pointing out your stupidity.

>> No.5902552
File: 148 KB, 2500x1645, 1456294707572.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5902535
I think that's what they want anon.

>> No.5902648

>>5892387
Rock & Roll Racing is a bit off, but it's worth a shot.

>> No.5903008

>>5902535
The other anon was right when he talked about card games. Do card games age, anon?
I think it's a philosophical question, and not really "reality"... it's as real as human thoughts can be (which means, very variable and not tangible). It depends on each individual and how they personally feel about it.
But besides that, the punishment for the word "aged" is because it has been used way too often to really say nothing, or say "I don't liek thing". That's why it's punished, not because anons don't like the word "aged", or the notion that "our perception changes over time".

>> No.5903016

>>5892978
>>5902496

Fucking Top Gear 2, man. I've thrown too many hours into that game. It was plenty of fun then as it is now. I used to be one of the bigger speedrunners for the game, but now I can't seem to get back into it for the time being. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a working SNES or something and show the kids what's up. Until then, though, it's thinking about how brutal Greece was in that game.

On that topic, that game was supposed to have a gasoline mechanic like the first one did, which explains the mind-boggling length of some of the tracks. I'm not sure why they removed the feature - maybe they thought it was too hard to manage on top of all the other upgrades? (It was supposed to be upgraded as well) Was it just not as fun? Did they not get the feature ready in time? I have so many questions, and it's a shame that it's hard to get in contact with the programmers that made the game to begin with.

Brazilians go nuts for Top Gear too - it's mind-boggling how big it is out there.

>> No.5903017

>>5903008
Of course. Everything ages, it's how it ages that's important. That I even have to answer that question highlights this entire situation. This has been explained, over abd over through the years but you never care to learn the tiniest thing. It's why I now just call you stupid and lazy and if you can't figure it out and get upset then too bad.

>> No.5903075

>>5903017
>more angry babbling
It's a philosophical matter actually. And subjective, since certain things might "age" differently depending on each person's perceptions.
It's why this isn't about the actual use of the word "aged" and a backlash for lazy people who think they're being critical when in fact are only parroting a word and not a solid argument.
It's no different from the whole "overrated" thing, as I said earlier.
But you will keep thinking I don't understand what people mean, etc, etc. You were triggered by a reaction image and can't let go of that anger, instead of actually reading what others are trying to explain to you.

>> No.5903729

>>5903008
Card games aged terribly, that's why no one talks about /vr/-tier casino shite.
Of course, based on the rules of this subreddit, any modern "remake" of any card game is allowed.
We need multiple threads about Wii Sports, because they're just modern remakes of games released before consoles existed.

>> No.5903869

>>5903075
You'd think on a board about retro video games this philosophy wouldn't be so prevalent there would be people of a more romantic and traditionalist persuasion believing in games having soul of you will

>> No.5904229
File: 100 KB, 640x640, equitanul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5903729
No, because card games and other traditional table games belong to /tg/, sports belong to /sp/, /vr/ is for retro VIDEO games only.
>>5903869
There's all kind of people in this world, and that's fine (well, maybe not), but the funny thing about this thread isn't that, it's that 1 anon got severely butthurt because of a simple (but evidently super effective and expressive) reaction image.

>> No.5904383

>>5893114
>>5892941
The games are for summer sports in the winter. Jesus Christ, lads.

>> No.5904398

>>5903075
The laziness of some people not using it as correctly as they could is out weighed by all the people having a fit that the term was used at all and trying to claim it has no real meaning. That is the despicable agenda I am most against.

Someone who uses the term lazily or when they meant something elsr can be helped to understand how to use it better if the whole discussion isn't purposefully derailed with baity shitposts about how the concept shouldn't be discussed at all.

>> No.5904478

>>5904229
When I was a kid I had a big book about card games and I was fascinated by it. All the varying rules, histories and some strategy. But the sad reality is card games are mostly all luck, next on priority is calculating and memorizing of what to do. Bridge clubs used to be as big as chess clubs, now nobody under 70 goes to them while chess clubs still get many different age groups.

>> No.5904485
File: 40 KB, 625x626, Now for my real power.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892513

>> No.5904497

Time is just a meaningless human construct.

Game A will play the same, be the same and feel the same in the year 1997 and guess what? It will play the same, be the same and feel the same in the year 2097.

>> No.5904976

>>5904485
The irony is, it's not bait at all. Just simple truth. That's what makes it so sad really.

>> No.5904981

>>5904497
nooo! buy I got used to more modern games!! old games don't even have achievements lol, they have aged badly!

>> No.5905007

>>5904976
What's sad about it?

>> No.5905016
File: 27 KB, 465x465, Lunar.E.P.part_.2_JK_forWEB-465x465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892513
>We get it, you don't understand English.
Why did you reply to the same reaction image twice, anon? Were you REALLY that triggered by it?
Also, we already told you, it has nothing to do with the English language, since the concept/theory can be translated to any language.

>> No.5905071

>>5905007
It's sad because people cling to willfull ignorance and boast about their stupidity with pride. That's a very sad state.

>>5905016
I replied to it once and then linked to it once. Why shouldn't be confusing.

It's a language issue because the retarded trolls who claim things like literature, film, games etc don't age fail to understand the complexity the word has in English. No doubt the concept can be described in many other languages bi2t that's ancillary given that they are incapable of understanding it even in their native tounge.

>>5904981
This is a prime example of either exteme willful ignorance or purposeful false flagging to muddy the waters. Both are equally despicable.

>> No.5905079

>>5905071
We're talking about video games here not racial differences in iq

>> No.5905283

>>5905079
Another weak attempt to deflect. How shocking.

>> No.5905874

>>5892365
>games don't age
this shit again.
Give one good reason to play aged, outdated games, over modern indie titles.

Indies are basically modern versions of these older games except with better controls, graphics, sound, hitboxes, physics, AI, and level design.

Crosscode
Hollow Knight
Dustforce
Terraria
Grimrock
Isaac
Bastion
Furi
Obra Dinn
A Hat in time
Necrodancer
Hotline Miami

>> No.5905896

>>5892362
Retro Sports games don't have things P2W mechanics, are more streamlined and are also one of the few retro games that are still cheap.

>> No.5905921

>>5905874
Don't forget to guzzle down on that onions, you massive faggot.

>> No.5905931
File: 53 KB, 1024x704, Indie Game Originality.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5905874

>> No.5905932

>>5905931
>all are white
Absolutely based.

>> No.5905936

>>5905931
Absolute minimalist, postmodern masterpieces.
Quite the contrast to the over designed, high budgeted garbage brought to us by the evil capitalism.

>> No.5905937
File: 120 KB, 642x336, pepeanime.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892365
>autism

>> No.5905940

>>5905874
Games age.
They have a production date
and as time passes this date is longer and longer ago, hence games age.
This is the same principle as with humans.
Humans have a production date (your birth)
and as time passes the time since this date increases and so the human ages.

>> No.5905945

>>5905940
It's absolutely baffling how you cannot see the flaws in your stupid rhetoric, you nigger.

>> No.5905964

>>5905931
>MODERN protagonist with good writing BAD
>mascot platformer character #14529 on RETRO consoles GOOD

>> No.5905967

>>5905874
Indie games are soo bad I can't believe people are still under this indie saviour of video games bullshit they fucking stink.

>> No.5905971

>>5905945
There will never be an argument against games aging that anyone agrees with. Majority says they age like everything else that has a date associated with them.

>> No.5905973
File: 54 KB, 590x590, 88179BED-06DF-4DF5-8BFFD437D031FEF3_source.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5905945
Even the Earth has an age, you retard.

>> No.5905976

>>5905945
It's absolutely baffling how you cannot see the flaws in your stupid reply, you mouthbreather.
Even protons age.

>> No.5905984

>>5905973
>>5905976
Games will feel, look and sound the exact same way forever. I'm not talking about the cart or CD they're stored in. Something intangible cannot change. You're a bunch of degenerates trying to deflect the fact that you can't beat old videogames made for kids, so you'll die on any hill as long as that hill shifts the blame of your failures to something else. This shit is like the next level of "my controller is broken, I wasn't playing for real, this game is poorly made" excuses that 10 year olds came up with, except they didn't expect the world to change and adjust to their bullshit. Eat shit and die.

>> No.5905989

>>5905984
>You're a bunch of degenerates trying to deflect the fact that you can't beat old videogames made for kids
where did anyone say that? The thread is about the point that old racing/sports games aged like perro caca on the street, compared to modern games that have the advantage of modern technology.

>> No.5906035

>>5905874
>falseflagging to make pro-games age theorists look retarded
based.

>> No.5906039

>>5905989
>The thread is about the point that old racing/sports games aged like perro caca on the street, compared to modern games that have the advantage of modern technology.
This is not true though.
Most sports games have become half Excel sheet simulator and half slow ass "realistic" cinematic experiences. Most old sports games are better because of their arcade pick up and play nature.
Probably something like Madden 2013 has "aged" (no reason to play it now) way worse than Madden 94. And quite honestly the same about Madden 2018, 2019, and more. They will all "age badly" because modern games have a lot of unnecessary shit and barely any gameplay.
Racing games never really surpassed Daytona USA in terms of gameplay, and that's a game from 1993.

>> No.5906043

>>5905937
Excellent counterpoint, my fellow pepeposter!

>> No.5906062
File: 22 KB, 482x392, 1564744011424-bant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892365
>>5892610
>>5893075
>play Ocarina of time in 199X
>it's mindblowing with never seen before state of the art graphics and non-linear semi-open world adventure gameplay

>play Ocarina of Time in 2019
>it's a shitty ugly empty adventure game that was done better by other games released the years after it and there's no reason to play OOT anymore but nostalgia
/vr/ be like: games don't age lol

>> No.5906073

>>5906062
Actually it's a lot better than most modern open world games. Less padding.

>> No.5906075

>>5906062
>play oot in 2019
>same good art direction, same good design, same good gameplay
>everything loads instantly
>play Open World Game number 5604 in 2019
>loading times, install times, patch fixes, achievements
Games definitely age

>> No.5906112

>>5906062
If the game is bad today, then it was never good in the first place. A good game is good no matter how much time passes. This stupid ageing meme is just something zoomers use because they don't understand why said game is universally praised.

>> No.5906161
File: 839 KB, 3192x1450, AJPW King's Soul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362
Depends on the genre. Speaking of Wrestling games, I'd rather play an old one than the modern ones that all are rubbish and overly simplified. Games up until the 6th generation were just so much more complex and especially the japan exclusive ones were very thought-out. The genre is pretty much dead since the last generation.

And I pretty much did the opposite in the last generation. I abandoned all current games of the genre and rather catch up on all the old (mostly japanese) games and never regretted it.

>> No.5906876

>>5906062
>play oot in 1998
>play oot in any other year after 1998
>it plays exactly how it played in 1998
>games age
Not surprised a double digit IQ post comes from an anime faggot.

>> No.5906885

>>5906876
yeah but it's not about IQ, it's about being mentally fucked up. Half the population have an IQ in the double digits. People need to stop talking about IQ so much.

>> No.5907357 [DELETED] 
File: 248 KB, 1024x784, 1568337392517.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5892362

>> No.5908326

>>5906039
You speak as a non-fan of sports games though. They have followed their own progression that's been influenced by what the hardcore base likes.

>> No.5908360

>>5906876
>look at rock in 1998
>keep the rock in a container on a shelf
>look at the same rock in 2019
>rock looks and feels exactly the same
>rocks age
Not surprised a double digit IQ post comes from an
>aged
Faggot

>> No.5908382
File: 20 KB, 480x468, 1569434126378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5908360
Okay now you're switching up what you're defining as aging. The physical game cartidge of OoT of course has aged as the years have gone by, but tho insinuate the game's features and data have "aged" because of relativism to new more modern games is a retarded fallacy. Eat shit. Standards are what have changed with age, not old games.

>> No.5908391

>>5908382
Nah you're wrong and dumb have fun being wrong and dumb intentionally forever, I'm not gonna argue just make fun of you while I'm on my half hour lunch break. Respond if you want to get mocked by a wagie but I'm not gonna argue, just make fun of how dumb you are.

>> No.5908454

>>5906876
This is why I mock you idiots and call you retarded. This long into these threads and you still have zero clue.

>> No.5908461

>>5908326
No, I am a fan of sports. I'm fine with updated rosters and the like. I'm not fine with "simulation" "realistic" gameplay that actually make gameplay slower. And spread-sheet simulator thing is also useless, just let me play a video game.

>> No.5908467

>>5892460
Baseball Stars on NES is still great.

>> No.5908475

>>5892460
Also, not retro but NBA 2k11 and NFL 2k5 remain the best games for their respective sports to this day.

>> No.5908492

>>5908382
Do you realize you are talking to a dumb 13-17 year old kid who nobody wants to talk to and is sitting in front of his device alone during lunchbreak shitposting on 4chan? Does it not give it away that he is arguing a completely different definition of the term to the one you're talking about?

So what does that make you? Sure you're right but, as rare as this advice may be accurate on 4chan... you could do better.

>> No.5908497

>>5908382
>Standards are what have changed with age, not old games.
And even that is very subjective and volatile. Most people have no standards, look at the best selling games from 6th and 7th gens.

>> No.5908608

>>5908461
That's fine, just understand that your tastes aren't universal and that not all games are designed to appeal to you.

>> No.5908614

>>5908382
No. That you still don't understand is pathetic.

>> No.5908638

>>5908608
Nah, I know. I understand that and why modern video games are they way they are. I'm just expressing myself because I assume other anons will have a similar point of view as mine here on /vr/.

>> No.5908642

>>5908614
>y-you don't understand!
stop with this broken record. everyone understands what plebs mean by the "games age!" fallacy.

>> No.5908673

>>5908642
You have just proven you do not. This happens constantly and why I just call you people stupid now. You claim to understand but then say things like this >>5906876 which illustrates you don't even a little. Again though it doesn't matter whether you understand or want to believe in it, it's real regardless and you boasting about your ignorance doesn't change it.

>> No.5908682

>>5908673
>it's real
It's not, it's a concept that may vary between individuals. Your own feelings and perceptions aren't "real", anon. They may feel real to you, but they are not.

>> No.5908692

>>5908682
It's a widely understood crtical concept. You not believing in or understanding it just makes you an ignorant outsider.

That said, you can not understand and be happy in that but it's unacceptable to derail threads attempting real discussion because you're too stupid and lazy to handle the concepts being discussed.

>> No.5908696

>>5908692
>It's a widely understood crtical concept.
Post empirical research on it, other than that one .png you keep posting every time.
Prove that the concept is real and not just a brain fart by people who are impatient and can't adapt to things they aren't used to.

>> No.5908704

>>5908696
I don't need to. That's the point and why I post that same screenshot. I am not beholden to your ignorance because this isn't a debate.

>> No.5908712

>>5908704
>this isn't a debate.
Exactly, just as how "games age" isn't real.
It's a subjective concept.

>> No.5908714

>>5908712
Again you are grossly incorrect.

>> No.5908717

>>5908714
You were just triggered by a reaction image and can't let go of it.

>> No.5908728

>>5908717
I am "triggered" that year after year willfully ignorant retards derail threads and try to cheapen both language and discussion because they can't wrap their head around what is a very simple concept. Your agenda to weaken English is disgusting to me and I find your stupidity repulsive.

>> No.5908730

>>5908712
>peepee poopoo isn't real
>it's just subjective Shitposting
>i have low functioning autism and don't know how to use the toilet
>toilets don't age

>> No.5908735

>people dignifying the "games don't age" autists with a response
It's just pure contrarianism, they want to feel like they're special for figuring out that everyone who uses the expression is actually wrong. In that they ignore how people actually engage with games and how important of a role perception plays in consumption, especially when things like novelty can be important for engagement with media. The same types of people will dismiss perfectly functional genres like metroidvania because of nitpicky reasons too.

>> No.5908737

>>5908728
>again with the English shit
You ran out of shitposts already, aged theorist.
>>5908730
nice samefag!

>> No.5908740

>>5908737
I didn't run out of anything. You are trying to ruin and cheapen both language and crtical discussion. You're a disgusting retarded troll.

>> No.5908745

>>5908740
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Claiming something like computer code can "age" would be cheapening the language, while also excusing your own inability to adapt as "computer code ages" excuses would also chapen critical thinking.
Anyway, it's your own critical thinking. I'm okay with YOU thinking that a game has "aged", just expect to be punished by such lazy excuse, and don't expect others to actually think in the same lazy way you do.

>> No.5908752

>>5908745
This illustrates everything I've been saying. You claim you understand the concept under question but aren't even the the same ballpark.

>> No.5908764

>>5908752
I understand the concept/theory. I understand that technology changes (not necessarily for the better, but I know this isn't part of the discussion).
I just think 99% of the times it's excuses for people to lazily address things they don't like about certain games for personal reasons, be it "this game doesn't have a save system!" or "this game doesn't have the kind of graphics I'm used to!".
The backlash for using the word "aged" in this context isn't because we don't accept that technology has changed, it's because we reject lazy entitled people who can't adapt to something different to what they're used to.

>> No.5908772

>>5908764
>I just think 99% of the times it's excuses for people to lazily address things they don't like about certain games for personal reasons

The same thing could be said with most terms commonly used, "fun" is the most obvious one but "satisfying", "deep", "rewarding", "immersive" (and "bad", "cheap", "frustrating", "clunky", etc) and other phrases can be used as lazy, brainless replacements for actual discussion. That doesn't mean the terms have no meaning or place in discussion, because when elaborated on they are meaningful and help view games from different perspectives.

>> No.5908773

>>5908764
It has almost nothing to do with changes in technology. While true that some people use the term incorrectly, it's your trolling that seeks to simply weaken duscission instead of elevating it. That's why I have no sympathy or patience for your kind any more.

>> No.5908782

>>5908772
I agree, those words are usually a lazy attempt to express emotions, rather than critical thinking.
Thing is, I have yet to see a good example of someone explaining how a game truly has "aged". Lack of 2nd free camera or other QoL stuff is not a strong argument because games were originally made with these limitations in mind by the devs. A game is either functional or not, beyond that, it's all subjective.
>>5908773
>It has almost nothing to do with changes in technology.
Then in what way would you say "games age"? Explain your own take on the theory, anon. And don't come at me like "I don't have any patience" when you've been at it for 48 hours.

>> No.5908789

>>5908782
>Then in what way would you say "games age"?

As I've said before I'm beyond trying to teach you and it's not my job since it's always seen as a debate which it isn't. Your ignorance is your choice, it's just disgusting to me.

>> No.5908797

>>5908789
Haha, okay anon, you don't really want to discuss, then. You just want to call me names because a reaction image triggered you. That's okay.

>> No.5908801

>>5908782
The most obvious thing would be low framerates, hard limits on enemies on screen, and other tech limitations forcing compromises. All games are designed for their hardware, but when the hardware restricts games to a point where they suffer in gameplay, that's when they age. The most obvious example would be old school racers like Pole Position, they could not adequately simulate most racing concepts because of how limited they were, including such key concepts like racing lines being faster, and they could not do very common sharp quick turns like hairpins and had to rely on very long easy turns. As a compromise, these games focus a lot on just dodging traffic and not crashing through corners. Let's not even get into more realistic styled racers, there's a reason nobody looking for a serious sim racer plays Indianapolis 500, even though at the time it was a very impressive and serious attempt at simulation.

>> No.5908813

>>5908801
>The most obvious thing would be low framerates
So would you say more modern racers, like from the 2000s onwards who many run at 30fps, have aged worse than Daytona USA, which was 60fps in 1993?
>but when the hardware restricts games to a point where they suffer in gameplay, that's when they age.
Hard Driving comes to mind, but I never considered that game good, even back then. To me, it was always a poor game, it hasn't "aged", it was always bad.
Games that go for realistic/simulation were always limited from the get go because trying to recreate reality in video games is a really misguided and, in my opinion, very wrong angle to develop a game with. But that doesn't mean I think games "age", it just means I don't like that specific developer mindset. People who look for realism are always going to be disappointed because video games will never match reality.
Pole Position is fine, it doesn't try to be realistic, it's an arcade game. I can pick up and play that game any time, I don't see how it has "aged". It never tried to be realistic. It doesn't run at low frames and it doesn't make me think "oh man, I wish this was more realistic".
Anyway we're diverging the discussion here, from "aged" to "realistic". Maybe there is some intersection between both concepts, but at least I think discussing "realistic" games is more grounded in reality, whereas "games age" is way more subjective.

>> No.5908819

>>5908797
I don't want to have to explain simple concepts to retards for years on end just so they don't derail any thread talking about a concept they can't grasp. I did sincerely used to try but it's always like this thread where the moronic detractors refuse to even try and understand and throw out bullshit. That's when I gave up and just started posting this >>5892618 but I'm still going to call you out for your disgusting ignoance and attempts to stifle discussion.

>> No.5908824

>>5908819
Here's the thing, a simple contextless .png about some hollywood movie isn't really convincing anyone, anon. You'll have to try harder than that if you don't want to be ridiculed for using "games age" theory unironically.

>> No.5908831

>>5908813
Yeah I would, Daytona has actually aged quite well and it definitely feels like it's doing exactly what it wants to instead of being heavily compromised.
>Games that go for realistic/simulation were always limited from the get go because trying to recreate reality in video games is a really misguided and, in my opinion, very wrong angle to develop a game with
It's really not, realism should be considered on a case by case basis. Ask yourself, why did developers want to make racing more realistic? The obvious answer is because real racing is incredibly fun and exciting, but has a lot of barriers and dangers involved that prevents people from getting into it that video games eliminate entirely. And video games are getting damn close already, there's plenty of pro F1 drivers that play iRacing right now.
>Pole Position is fine, it doesn't try to be realistic, it's an arcade game. I can pick up and play that game any time, I don't see how it has "aged". It never tried to be realistic
Because you can obviously see where its limits were and how hard developers had to compromise the racing experience because of the hardware they were working with. Do you really think the developers wouldn't program more elaborate AI to make overtaking exciting, they wouldn't have hairpins for track variety and they wouldn't have more indepth physics simulation if only to have racing lines, a fundamental concept in racing? It's playable and even fun despite lacking those elements, but anyone who plays it today will see how primitive and compromised it is. That's aging, when your perception changes with your frame of reference.

>> No.5908845

>>5908764
With specific reference to the thread's OP, there are a couple of things I'd like to address with regards to games aging, specifically sports games.
Arcade sports games tend to hold up better over time, especially games that go far from realism, examples like NBA Jam, Combat Basketball, Super Soccer come to mind. Those games are easy to pick up and play, and you can easily understand what you can do and how you can do it.
Simulation sports titles, however, have two major problems; they try to depict a sport realistically, on limited hardware, from different perspectives sometimes. This leads to something that can seem like a good idea being at worst game breaking and at best a poor mechanic that gets resolved and revised by the time the sequel comes out.
There are notable exceptions to this, however, such as Chell 94, though it could definitely be argued that it's more of an arcade sports game than a simulation.
Sports games are great targets for the "aged" criticism because new sports games come out every year, that are literally intended to be a video game version of the exact same game. One game might have chosen stiff shooting controls versus fluid ones, and then after the fluid controls were adapted inna sequel, it never changed back to stiff, ever, so that edition with the stiff shooting has aged poorly, because the following year what was a problem with an otherwise good game had been fixed, using the same hardware usually.

>> No.5908848

>>5908831
>>5908845
I mostly agree with both of you, actually, but I think this has less to do with "aged", and more to do with realism vs pure ludo elements.

>> No.5908854

>>5908824
You're still not reading. I post that now that I have given up trying to actually teach any of you. Your ignorance is your choice and it's not my job to teach you, but your derailing threads because you're too stupid is unacceptable.

>> No.5908858

>>5908854
>teach
lol.
The fact you're posting some page book about a hollywood movie, thinking it's the same as discussing video games, shows what kind of person you are.

>> No.5908859

>>5892362

Don't bother with sports games but was playing a good amount of F-Zero Gx a few months ago and it's still fast and fun.

>>5908782
Any game that got a downgraded mobile port. weather it be Gameboy and Java Phone game. Or even one of those dedicated handhelds that use calculator like graphics. People had low standards because the main appeal was just that you got to play anything while on the go. Tech demos as well don't hold up. I'm not going to be amazed by your sprite count in 2019. And some games just got improved upon. Why play Wolfeinstein when you can play Doom. Look at all the want to be fighting games that cropped up before Street Fighter set a standard. Then look at all the clones after it that added nothing to the genre and have non-existent playerbases. How many people still play MUDs when MMOs exist? Try playing some early rts games without a mini-map, hotkeys, and only being allowed to control one unit at once. Why would anyone want to play Madden 2016? Or look at a shity Flash Game like the original Super Smash Flash. It's horribly broken, bug ridden, and has faulty ai. But people still loved the hell out of it. No one would ever play it today though, aside for nostalgia.
To completely deny the concept of aging than to say why a game does/doesn't hold up makes you the person avoiding any critical thinking.

>> No.5908864

>>5908859
>I'm not going to be amazed by your sprite count in 2019
That's funny because some anon above said that sprite limit is a way in which a game can "age".
Goes to show just how subjective and diverse the concept of "games ageing" can be, from individual to individual.

>> No.5908865

>>5908848
Well ask yourself why this applies to realism and you'll see that at its core, it's simply people's perceptions of games changing based on their expectations at the time. Novel mechanics, technology and concepts in games will be far more exciting to people before they get copied and become the norm. The "anti aging" crowd typically dismisses these experiences as not real or illusions ("it wasn't good in the first place!") even though they are important for people's enjoyment. It either comes from pure contrarianism or an attempt to find something real and tangible behind people's love of games, which is doomed to failure because games are hugely subjective.

>> No.5908869

>>5908360
>comparing something tangible with something intangible
It's time to kill yourself, you nigger. And make sure you don't reproduce.

>> No.5908871

>>5908858
Okay so now you've proven you can't understand simple paragraphs either. What a shock that I gave up on your stupidity. Utterly disgusting.

>> No.5908875

>>5908871
>look guys, here's a paragraph about a hollywood movie. I expect you guys to take this as golden rule when discussing video games, okay?

>> No.5908886

>>5908865
>The "anti aging" crowd typically dismisses these experiences as not real or illusions ("it wasn't good in the first place!") even though they are important for people's enjoyment.
Nah, I think there can be a middle road. However, that middle road is very, very hard to grasp (and actually impossible, since each individual is different).
The "anti-aging crowd" can be as hyperbolic as the "aging crowd".
The backlash against the "aged" word is because, at this point, it has become a cheap way to dismiss older games. If you come to /vr/ and throw it around, don't act surprised when you get called out. It is a controversial discussion and there is no solid ground for it.

>> No.5908898

>>5908875
And again you prove how you can't understand anything at all. At least it makes sense that things aging is beyond your comprehension.

>> No.5908929

>>5908360
Aged means outdated in comparison to the new norm, retard. Think QoL changes

>> No.5908943

>>5908898
>lalalal I can't hear you you don't understand anything lalalal

>> No.5908952

>>5908929
That's what "aged" means to you. For some other people, aged means not enough tech exploitation, while for others aged means too much tech exploitation at the expense of game design.
The "games age" theory is really all over the place. I think the most logical way to explain "games age" is through graphics, which is what most people care about, but even then... it's a really superficial matter.

>> No.5908968

>>5908869
>touch a rock
>touch a game
Whoa both are tangible fucking SICK dude

>> No.5908983

>>5908968

>>5905984

>> No.5909471

>>5908943
How am I supposed to respond when you clearly didn't even understand such a basic sentence? You want me to bend over backwards explaining things to you but you can't even read a normal statement without grossly misunderstanding. You're acting like an illiterate retard so that's how I'm treating you.

>> No.5909474

>>5909471
>you don't understand you don't understand you don't understand
your posts have aged badly since a few days ago.

>> No.5909485

>>5909474
This was from a few hours back. When you write something even simple and the idiots who don't understand aging (yet always claim they do) can't even comprehend that it makes it really hard to take them seriously.

>> No.5909487

>>5909485
>you don't understand! that's why I'm right and you're wrong!

>> No.5909523
File: 1.60 MB, 300x200, 4f5.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5909487
Well at least you finally got something right.

>> No.5909542

>>5909523
Oh, don't be so humble anon, I don't understand anything! at all! That's why I could explain my points and you couldn't, because obviously, you're right. When you're right as you are, why expose any points?

>> No.5909623

>>5909542
It's funny because you're acting sarcastic when again you shouldn't be. Indeed this isn't something I ever should have had yo explain to any of you. The bitching you do over that book excerpt I post in these threads is a response to that, but even that minor point flies miles over your head for some reason.

>> No.5909630

>>5909623
What bitching? All I'm saying is that a single page excerpt about a hollywood movie is not argument enough for the "games age" fallacy.
So far, that page is all you got. That, and yelling "you don't understand!".
Convincing.
Many different anons have exposed their thoughts already, both pro-age and anti-age, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus.
But ah, I guess we're all wrong, and you're the only one with the truth.

>> No.5909642

>>5892362
Just play games you're interested in/curious about. You don't need the guidance or approval of others to do what you want.

>> No.5909651

There's a really appealing sense of danger to Pole Position. This probably doesn't make any sense, but the fact that just scraping a rival car results in a fiery crash always put me in the mindset of what being inches from death in real open-wheel racing must be like. Like there's an exaggerated sense of danger that makes up for the otherwise lack of realism, or maybe I'm just retarded. Still a kickass game, though.

>> No.5910013

>>5909630
>Many different anons have exposed their thoughts already, both pro-age and anti-age, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

That's the thing, and why I have become so rude and indignant, there is no "pro-age vs anit-age" debate. How something ages as time goes by is a core aspect of discussing things like books, movies, music, games etc etc Whether you believe in or can wrap your head around that doesn't matter, it's an aspect of critical discussion. That's why I started posting that .png once I was fed up trying to get through to you. The writer of that book didn't care if you could understand the concept of what something aging means, you were just expected to understand it. And if you didn't get it for some reason then it's on you to learn.

But that was another age, ironically, and you're a bunch of spoiled children who don't want to learn, you just care that no one can ever discuss your childhood in a logical manner.

>> No.5910035

>>5910013
>there is no "pro-age vs anit-age" debate
Nobody argues that time goes on. A game that was released in 1999 is 20 years now and nobody will deny that.
However, the philosophical aspect of a game that "aged" is what's being discussed here. Most of the times, people use "age" in different ways, as evidenced in this very thread. Is the philosophical concept of games aging that they use too much tech (available at the time, thus compromising game design)? Or not enough tech (uses stablished tech without going overboard, but cares more about game design)?
Both examples were used as "games age" here. Contradictory.
The discussion isn't about years passing by, the discussion is about the general use of the "games age" idea when it comes to critical thinking.

>> No.5911039

>>5892375
They're called spiny shells

>> No.5911306

>>5892502

so much fun to cause chaos by doing that. I was disgusted when Double Dash didn't let you do something similar, and instead just reset people back to the start of the ramp. Just another reason why Double Dash is inferior.

>>5892362

still the best, most-challenging Mario Kart and F-Zero is good too. The only bad thing about F-Zero is the lack of racers