[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 256x255, SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5881331 No.5881331 [Reply] [Original]

I've been wanting to get into the SaGa series, but I don't know which one to start with. Any suggestions?

>> No.5881346

Frontier for 2D Graphics, PS2 Romancing for 3D Graphics.

Unlimited if you want to be tested against your limit, it's undoubtedly the hardest JRPG ever made. Fucking Wizardry levels of bullshit.

>> No.5881880

>>5881331
The one you posted is a good one to get started with the series, otherwise, wait until November when the RS3 remaster comes out.
Alternatively, consider the DS remakes of SaGa 2 and 3, both are good for beginners and unlike the other two they're also linear.

>> No.5882105

Romancing SaGa 3 if you want a more traditional jrpg setting and a seemingly connected world to explore, SaGa Frontier if you want something different
>>5881346
I wouldn't recommend someone starting with Minstrel Song.It's a fantastic game but I feel all the mechanics it has incorporated from all the past games would be overwhelming for a newcomer

>> No.5882115

>>5881331
Saga 1 & 2 are highly recommended as they are short and gamey.

Romancing Saga 1 is basically outdone by 3 (which is getting a remake in 2 months that will blow away every other game on this earth btw) and RS2 is too complicated for most people.

Saga Frontier 1 is straightforward enough, but the scenarios are hit-or-miss and it's one of the ugliest RPGs on the PS1. SF2 is the exact opposite being gorgeous but very complicated.

Unlimited Saga is a D&D style boardgame RPG and very complicated.

>> No.5882135
File: 303 KB, 695x1000, fuse2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5881331
I started with SaGa Frontier and loved it. Red is a good character to start with if you choose that, but anybody works (I played as Blue first).

>> No.5882146

>>5881331

>Original SaGa games

Play SaGa 2 and/or its DS remake (...they translated that, right?) SaGa 1 is okay but pretty short and the mechanics are clunkier, whereas 3 changes shit up too much. 2 is the best of all worlds situation.

>Romancing SaGa series

RS3 is by far the best game here, it's on steam for crying out loud, and has arguably the widest selection of replayability going through multiple paths, though Katrina as the MC is typically regarded as the best.

>Everything else

SaGa Frontier is an incomplete game. Even moreso than some of the others. Red, Asellus and T260G's scenarios are the most complete stories (with Emelia and Blue as runners up) and I have yet to shake hands with anybody who doesn't want Rikki to die in a fire.

SF2... I keep hearing conflicting reports about. it's one of the prettiest entries in the entire series and deals with generations of PCs but there's apparently some kind of bullshit rando encounter deal as the game goes on? Someone help me out here.

Unlimited has been pretty well covered here in the thread. You may as well be playing Dungeons and Dragons because all the battle mechanics literally revolve around random damage/effects.

But anyway, bottom line is to play SaGa 2 and Romancing 3.

>> No.5882186

>>5882146
What an awful, awful post.

>> No.5883151

When it's a series, I tend to start with the first one, and if I'm not loving it by the halfway point just skip to the next one. If I need to play the first one to understand the rest, then I just rule the series as not for me

>> No.5883481

Final Fantasy Legends, all of them. The least different from other JRPGs, so you get used to it.

>> No.5884296

>>5883481
>recommends FFL3
oh no you didn't...