[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 158 KB, 1280x720, arcanum 720.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5815353 No.5815353[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to pick this game up but I can't even get out of the starting area. The first time I had no money to buy weapons and got rushed and killed by a pack of wolves. The second time I critically missed so often that my character stabbed himself to death trying to fight a rat. He would hit the rat maybe once out of 20 swings. I read the entire manual, but I'm still struggling with the interface. This is my first WRPG, so maybe I'm missing some critical experience. I was thinking of making a thief that uses anaesthetic and was going to ask how anaesthetic is used before I go down that point investment - whether it depends on throwing or a weapon or something - but at this point I need advice on how the basic gameplay is supposed to function.

>> No.5815390

This game features the worst real time combat system ever featured in an RPG. It isn't just you, that aspect is awful.

>> No.5815471

>>5815353
>This is my first WRPG
start with something more action oriented such as Diablo. I haven't played Arcanum, but have played other pc wrpgs of that time, which use more "complex" mechanics, than action oriented games... the thing is you have to know what the fuck you're doing by checking out how the game manages your chances/skills and learn how to make the best out of what is given to you... explore your options and use what works. Then, when you know what you're doing, add some flavour to your gameplay. If you read the manual already, try some online guide from old school gaming sites such as gamefaqs.

>> No.5815578

>>5815353
Thou thinketh thou hast the ability to kill rats? Foolish peasant..

>> No.5815604

>>5815353
Start off with a character that has a few points in melee, with a decent dexterity. Use turn based and try to improve your melee when you level up.

>> No.5815610
File: 133 KB, 504x493, B4253D84-5E0A-4ABD-90C3-4692E99D7246.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know I had to sage and report it to em.

>> No.5815654

well op you're just gonna have to run down to gamefaqs and pick one of the optimal character builds.

kinda ruins the game but that how it is in this bitch of a genre.