[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 264 KB, 581x608, pokemon cd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5811482 No.5811482 [Reply] [Original]

Pokemon I just feel was never as good as people made it out be.

First gen was basically a small team overcoming many obstacles in order to get their game shipped. It was good for what it was, but dragonquest pulled it off better.

Upon their success, a bunch of shitty games like Snap, and "hey you pikachu" were released.

The second generation of games was a step up and maximized the hardware, and had many features that set the game apart from others.

Anything after that was horrid,
>they used static sprites until 2010
>recycled N64 models until 2013
>released a bunch of shovelware titles
>have been reusing the basic formula until now

What's even more shameful is that other developers made better games like mystery dungeon.

Only recently people have called them out because they supposedly can't catch them all. That's fucking ridiculous

>> No.5811512

>>5811482
>Upon their success, a bunch of shitty games like Snap
Stoppped reading there, Snap is a good game, with or without the Pokemon franchise attached to it.

>> No.5811528
File: 375 KB, 1904x1064, 310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I realized it was a kids focused mega-marketing blitzkrieg before it ever even saw its western release. I actually was pleasantly surprised that it was a decent and innovative little JRPG at its great when I finally gave it a chance with Yellow since I had recently picked up a GBP and was daily carrying it.

>> No.5811529

>>5811482
>shitty games like Snap
Fag

To answer the question, gen 6.
Gen 1-5 are good on their own merits.

>> No.5811540

>>5811512
>>5811529
no, snap is shit.
>on a set railed path, zero exploration
>only 8 hours long
>no memorable Musial scores
>only a couple of tracks to boot

If this was a mini game in another game that would be fine, but as a full priced game it's abject ass.

Only a fat white girl would like that.

>> No.5811550

It's been 10 years since the last good Pokemon game

>> No.5811567

>>5811540
It is a "binary shooter", what the fuck did you expect?
It was a neat concept that can no longer work today, as cameras got popolarized (every kid has a smartphone afterall today). I disagree that as a game overall it could be particularly liked by someone who didn't enjoy pokemon, but as a pokemon spin off it was indeed good, and gave what people wanted: expanding the world building with 3D models and pokemon acting in their "natural" habitat and a little of mystery.

>> No.5811598

>>5811482
Secend gen cemented their staying power, and spinoffs are them flaunting their powers.

>> No.5811606

>>5811567
And BTW most of spin off have been good up until gen 5, the fuck are you talkong about with "shovelware"?
>3D sidegames (Stadiums, Colosseum, etc) are good minus - maybe - PBR
>TCG 1 and expecially 2 are excellent
>Pinball 1 and expecially RS are excellent
>2D Mystery Dungeons are excellent
>Rangers are very good
>Pokeparks were nothing bad
>Nobunaga's Ambition crossover wasn't bad
>Rumble 1 and particularly 2 (super) are good

They begin with shovelwares for eshop/mobile only in the 2010's.
Truth is, pokemon was a respectable franchise in the 90's and expecially the 2000's. It went to shit recently.

And I agree with some of your points (almost every GBA game had a superior spritework to GF's pokemon games, which had static sprites and not even the animation for the taken damage - something they continued to not have until 3D models actually - while even the original GB spinoffs like PINBALL had, and also the overworld was blander than most other roleplaying/adventure games (see Emerald and then something like The Minish Cap, Golden Sun or even Chunsoft's pokemon game Red Rescue Team) but nonetheless albeit technically ludicrous they weren't anything bad (for the smaller, handheld rpgs they were), indeed, Crystal is one of the best GBC game, Emerald one of the best GBA game and Plat/BW2/HGSS between the best NDS games.
The problem is now that the series went to consoles and it is seems completely like shit with also cut in content. Now I won't excuse this franchise anymore as I did with 2d games.

>> No.5811641

>>5811606
Speaking of the gba games, the backsprites of the Gen 1/2 mons are recolored versions of the Gen 2 ones.

>> No.5811654

>>5811641
I knew

>> No.5811695
File: 737 KB, 250x283, snap.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5811540
>on a set railed path, zero exploration
It's a rail shooter, what did you expect? Still, it has "exploration" in the form of experimenting interacting with monsters and enviroment by using different items, also has alternate hidden paths, which is the way you unlock later levels.
>only 8 hours long
I bet it can be completed in even less if you just mean taking pics of all the monsters in the game, but it's also a score-based game. Did you try to top the pre-set high scores in each level? The game changes if you go for that in mind.
>no memorable Musial scores
I remember the electrical plant and the caves having pretty dope music. anyway at this point you're nitpicking, you've got no real reasons to call this game shit.
If this was a mini-game within another game I'd be fucking impressed, it's got a lot of detail put into the whole scoring system and how interactions between all the different things happening on screen work.
Hating on Snap because it's "short" is brainlet-tier. Although more levels and all 151 monsters would have been good, the game probably was rushed to meet with deadlines, but they still did a good job and delivered a good game, again, Pokemon or not. In fact, I'm disappointed there's no other game like Pokemon Snap outside of Gekisha Boy in PC Engine, which is the same concept but side-scroller instead of 3D.

>> No.5811738

>>5811482
Honestly it took until X for me.
Skipped White and Black, but decided to try and get back into it with X and Y and it bored the ever loving shit out of me. Nothing fucking changed and it felt shallow as hell just playing through it normally

>> No.5811740

>>5811738
Honestly thought X & Y broke Pokemon for me.

>> No.5811743

>>5811738
>Skipped White and Black
you missed out. they were actually kino, better than D+P/R+S

>> No.5811751

>>5811743
I'll agree with this, those were the last good ones, but even then, it was all downhill from there.

>> No.5812014
File: 135 KB, 1000x1000, 1301867797768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5811695
>It's a rail shooter, what did you expect?
going around large areas taking pictures of pokemon and gaining techniques similar to the platformers of that era

>Did you try to top the pre-set high scores in each level?
I did

>the game probably was rushed to meet with deadlines
wtf happened to "a bad game is bad forever"

There is a reason why it was never repeated, it was fucking awful

>>5811606
shovelware
>pokemon channel
>Colosseum looked like shit in comaprison to anything else on the console
>Pokémon Art Academy
>Picross
>typing adventure
>pokepark looked pretty bad
>pokemon box
>dash
>trosei
>puzzle league
>hey you pikachu

Mystery dungeon and Noubunga's enough to tell you that game freak is shit,
and that if someone else got it, the series would be much better.
cont...

>> No.5812034

I stopped playing the main series games in gen II, but from the little Ive read about the newer generations it seems they have done more to the game than simply shitting out new Pokemons, which is a good thing. But still, as a single player experience I dont think it has much more to offer.

>> No.5812035
File: 43 KB, 1280x720, big_1496148706_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5812014
>going around large areas taking pictures of pokemon and gaining techniques similar to the platformers of that era

>> No.5812040

>>5812034
to be fair, they changed a lot in diamond + pearl with the physical/special split, effectively overhauling the whole battle system. that type of stuff only matters if you're somewhat autistic about the games though

>> No.5812072
File: 187 KB, 350x395, CT_Chocobo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5811606
>almost every GBA game had a superior spritework to GF's Pokemon games
> the overworld was blander than most other roleplaying/adventure games
>) but nonetheless albeit technically ludicrous they weren't anything bad

that's when I dropped it, saw it ToysR'US, and it looked like shit and I remember buying Legend of Mana from the bargain bin instead.
I think I made the right choice.

>not even the animation for the taken damage
while their competitor digimon did
>, Emerald one of the best GBA game
ummm.....
>golden sun?
>Minish Cap?
>FF Tactics advance?
>M&L RPG?
>Mother 3?
>Sword of Mana?
>Megaman battle network?

Fuck no.

best NDS game

>Radiant Historia?
>M&L RPG 3?
>DQ 5 remake?
>Rocket slime?
>Phantom Hourglass?
>FF3 remake and rehaul
>FF warriors of light
>Megaman star force

Are you high right now? That garbage isn't even in the top 10.

I haven't even gone in on how EVs and IVs are shit.

>>5812035
well it was the era of collecting, it was to be expected.

>> No.5812085

>>5811482
Pokemon was pretty great for its time, what with being an expansive Gameboy RPG with mostly good production values and depth in gameplay. Sure, it's outclassed by things that came several years later, but even still, the ability to play other players with your own customized team of monsters gave it some lasting appeal that many purely single player RPGs at the time lacked, even if it was quickly solved and broken.

Unfortunately, as the series was always considered to be for children and younger teens and the desire to keep partial backwards compatibility was kept, the games couldn't really evolve in a meaningful way to actually cultivate a more adult competitive scene around. That being the case puts it dead in the water as players either grow out of the game entirely or become jaded as more flaws are discovered in the combat system. In a way, the game was doomed from the start with that design philosophy, without it, I bet it could've become something similar to modern day DotA clones, each of the major ones keeping a core dedicated fanbase and being known by even people who don't play it.

>> No.5812089

>>5811482
I feel like pokemon hit its peak in Gen 2 and has more or less sucked more and more since then, I liked Gen 3 a fair bit, Gen 4 was okay, Gen 5 was awful, Gen 6 was okay i guess, and Gen 7 was the worst. I'm hoping Gen 8 is much better, but will probably never come remotely close to even how god gen 3 was.

>> No.5812101

>>5812085
their getting rid of the national dex now, it might've been a good time to reboot the whole thing.

>> No.5812108

>>5811482
Honestly during Gen 1. I was a kid and felt that Pokemon was overrated in comparison to allot or other turned based jrpg’s

>> No.5812125

>>5812108
CORRECTAMUNDO! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you played like Lunar, or Chrono Trigger/Cross, FF, Xenogears, etc.

It was pretty shitty in comparison, I didn't discover the other rpgs till 99' because I was 11 then without older siblings.

Thank god for Gamefanmagzine and RPGamer.com !

>> No.5812270

>>5811482
Very shortly after Pokemon Gold, I almost completely was done with Pokemon. I still watched the animes here and there when they came on tv, but I never really played another Pokemon after that. Grinding up an entire team multiple times just isn't that fun. I hear later games tried to mitigate that a bit better, but I was already out the door.

>> No.5812282

>>5812270
>when they came on tv,
watching dubs ever?
That's white wash my dude.

>> No.5812283

>>5812014
>going around large areas taking pictures of pokemon and gaining techniques similar to the platformers of that era
There was a PS3 game that tried that kind of thing (called Afrika). It's not as good a idea as you imagine. Snap being on-rails is better.
Also, I never mentioned Snap being bad. More levels and more mons would have been even better, but the game is still good. It wasn't "fucking awful", and you still couldn't come up with any argument other than "it's not open world and gaining techniques like platformers of the era" (whatever that means) and "music is not memorable" (not true btw)

>> No.5812285

Well, the GBA games were a big letdown. I mean, Golden Sun was shit but looked amazing, while Pokémon Advance games were a complete joke. The games looked bad and they removed a ton of nice features, like the day/night cycle.

The Game Cube games were also pretty bad. Good idea, shit execution using fucking N64 models. They were pretty clunky too.
While in Stadium we had everything neatly organized on Oak's Lab, in Colosseum and GoD we had nothing and had to use that shitty Pokémon Box disc. And the whole GBA-GC-Card e-Reader connection was bizarre.

>> No.5812304

>>5812072
>evs and ivs bad
They add a lot of depth competitively.

>> No.5812323

>>5812282
There was a time I used to prefer dub. Shortly after the end of stuff like Cowboy Bebop on Toonami, I switched over to subs. And why wouldn't you? These days dub VAs are basically shitty youtubers with little to no talent

>> No.5812362
File: 90 KB, 500x340, 1534375256284.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5812323
>These days dub VAs are basically shitty youtubers with little to no talent

correctamundo, also watching subbed helped tons with learning japanese believe it or not.

>>5812285
> Golden Sun was shit but looked amazing,
agreed, all of the characters had the personality of cardboard cutouts, but the art was nice.
>, shit execution using fucking N64 models. They were pretty clunky too.
no reviewer called them out on that shit. If that was anyone else, they would have had hellfire rained down upon them.

>>5812304
So, you are going to tell me, I have to grind specific enemies for specific stats on specific natured pokemon.

and if I fight the wrong enemy get the wrong nature or god forbid don't have the right invisable iv stat
I have to start all over?

Also I have to repeat this process 20-50 times to have a good online roster to fight people online?

Fuck that.

>> No.5812374

>>5811482
Pokemon started out great and became amazing, but the problem is the more successful it's gotten, the lazier, greedier, and all around more akin to a "AAA" western dev they've become, releasing less content and treating the fanbase like retards because Pokemon is so big now they can get away with it. They used to fill the games to the brim with content and postgame, but now we're getting the first Pokemon game that you literally cannot "Catch 'Em All!" in, and it doesn't even look nice enough to justify the lack of content.
It's a story of a company rising to great power and then becoming corrupt shitbags that let the money go to their heads. Masuda is a waste of oxygen.

>> No.5812418

>>5811482
>dragonquest pulled it off better

No one in the real world played dragon quest. You're either under age or delusional.

>> No.5812439

>>5812282
protip: 4Kids had better VAs than the originals on Pokemon

>> No.5812463
File: 84 KB, 485x364, 932684_20060822_screen001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5812439
you are fucking with me right?
Ash in English sounded like a whiny little shit, while in Japanese he sounds like how a protagonist should. The only one who sounds worse is meowth, but then again, how the fuck else would you expect a cat who learned to speak to to talk.

>>5812418
you were probably born in 92' or later
I know people born in the 70's and 80's who played the original. I was born in 88' and

I played 1,2,3, and DQ monsters on the gba.
I then played 7+8, and torneko's dungeon on the PS consoles respectively and also Rocket slime on the DS.

It's just like the zoomers who say final fantasy isn't nostolgic.

People born after 91' need to fuck off.

>> No.5812467

>>5812439
There were a handful back then.
-Yu Yu Hakusho
-DBZ (Fuck Gohan in the original)
-Pokemon

I'm sure there are more good dubs. I still can't believe people would watch DBZ undubbed. Anything nowadays is a lost cause for dubs.

>> No.5812468

>>5812463
Satoshi is the one who sounds like a whiny little shit, not Ash.

>> No.5812472

>>5812463
Didn't mean to hit a nerve, just stating the obvious. Kind of proved it with your post.

>> No.5812498

>>5812439
Japanese meowth voice actress > all of 4kids

>> No.5812549

>>5811482
>When you realize this is a kids react to pokemon post
>
>reddit spaced

>> No.5812658

>>5811482
When I played other RPGs. Pokemon's gameplay is shallow, straightforward and unchallenging. Each new generation uses the same trivial and frivolous formula.

It is truly baby's first RPG.

>> No.5813610

>>5812658
>When I played other RPGs.
Found your problem ESL kiddo

>> No.5814075

>>5812658
yup, during the span between gold and ruby
I played all sorts of rpgs
>lunar 1 +2
>mana 2,3.and ps1
>FF 4-10
>Dragon quest 1-3, torneko and 7
>jade coon
>paper mario
>arc the lad 1-4
>chrono trigger and cross
>BOF 1-4, never tried 5 tho
>Valkyire profile
>popolocrois
>megaman battle network

and I realized how shit pokemon actually was in comparison.

>>5812468
Your ears are fucked up

compare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmUZnSAnYA

to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpmScfGDtU

>> No.5814254

>>5812658
>shallow
For single player I'll agree with this but no other RPG has an in depth competitive scene.

>> No.5814656

>>5814254
I know it's not retro but the Megaman Battle Network series had just as good a competetive scene if not better.

>> No.5815452

>>5814656
Wow never knew, how's the meta?

>> No.5815656

>>5814656
>>5815452
There's a subreddit where players plan online battles against one another.

>> No.5816894

>>5812467
nah, DBZ, had better music undubbed

Pokemon, same
>pokemon ondo
>nyasu no uta
etc.
Same with yuyu hakusho

You are being midwestern white girls

>> No.5817126

>>5812467
>>5812439
Both Rica Matsumoto and Nozawa are based, fuck you guys.

>> No.5818473

RBY to me felt like the video game equivalent of a demo album that was slightly polished up after years of getting everything to work before being put out to market, while GSC feels like an overproduced top 40 bait record by the same group who now has all the time and money to fix all their shortcomings. Kinda like Kill 'em All vs Ride the Lightning.

>> No.5818484

>>5811482
after GSC

>> No.5818496

I played on of them on my brick Gameboy but I never really got into the series.